USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)

Go down 
+68
JerusalemAlvaira
John Cesar E. Manlangit
jealou azucena
athina alorro
Michael George Guanzon
mae m. mara
Sarah Jean Tisara
Anthony Rigor Aguilar
emilio jopia jr.
Michelle Adlawan
Jovylin O. Sandoval
aeros salaga
Lynneth C. Llemit
basith_jumat
felix a. sumalinog jr.
Jovanne Nick Cacayan
sharlyn joy pines
alma cabase
IK
janraysuriba
AlyssaRae Soriano
Jan Neil Enanoria Gador
fatima paclibar
Marren Pequiro
Jethro Alburo Querubin
Stihl Lhyn Samonte
rosemie nunez
Fritzielaine A. Barcena
Russel John Serrano
Norena T. Nicdao
Gleizelle Jen Dieparine
creza_jill_bulacito
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo
shane sacramento
karl philip abregana
brian c. namuag
Tanya Clarissa G. Amancio
leah_saavedra
kate karen rasonable
Franz Cie B. Suico
mayraflordurango
ailaine adaptar
Venus Millena
John Paul Pulido
Ariel Serenado
desiree
kristine_delatorre
amielou.falcon
Shiela Marie P. Nara
Roy Cuevas
jerald jean pullos
Dolorosa G. Mancera
Sheila Capacillo
vanessa may caneda
charmaine_dayanan
carla comoda
neil rey c. niere
Chris Romarate
florenzie_palma
Jevelyn Labor
Joseph Ethel Valdez
Alfredo V. Ala-an
♥ilyn_mapalo♥
jojimie
Maria Theresa F. Rulete
juvilynconsejo
Marlie E. Sisneros
eyesee
72 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
eyesee

eyesee

Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Empty
PostSubject: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Identify an information environment of your choice and write an essay to address the following questions: (3000 words)

• What should be your role within this environment?
• How can the principles of information organization and representation help you in performing this role?
• What are the challenges facing you in performing the role? How will you address these challenges?
Back to top Go down
Marlie E. Sisneros

Marlie E. Sisneros

PostSubject: Assignment 9   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Aug 17, 2009 11:46 pm

MARLIE's PAGE:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION:
Identify an information environment of your choice and write an essay to address the following questions: (3000 words)

• How can the principles of information organization and representation help you in performing this role?
• What are the challenges facing you in performing the role? How will you address these challenges?

RETORT:

Information Environment

There
is now a critical mass of digital information resources that can be
used to support researchers, learners, teachers and administrators in
their work and study. The production of information is on the increase
and ways to deal with this effectively are required. There is the need
to ensure that quality information isn’t lost amongst the masses of
digital data created everyday. If we can continue to improve the
management, interrogation and serving of ‘quality’ information there is
huge potential to enhance knowledge creation across learning and
research communities. The aim of the Information Environment is to help
provide convenient access to resources for research and learning
through the use of resource discovery and resource management tools and
the development of better services and practice. The Information
Environment aims to allow discovery, access and use of resources for
research and learning irrespective of their location.

REFERENCE:http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/themes/informationenvironment.aspx

-BAsing on the definition of Information InvironmentI i would rather CHOOSE the wide spread of INTERNET.
so waht an INternet means.??
The Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standardized (TCP/IP) to serve billions of users worldwide. It is a network of networks
that consists of millions of private and public, academic, business,
and government networks of local to global scope that are linked by copper wires, fiber-optic cables, wireless connections, and other technologies. The Internet carries a vast array of information resources and services, most notably the inter-linked hypertxt documents of the world wide web (WWW) and the infrastructure to support electronic mail. In addition it supports popular services such as online chat, file transfer and file sharing, gaming, commerce,social networking,publishing, video on demand, and teleconferencing and telecommunications. (VoIP) applications allow person-to-person communication via voice and video.

all of us know Internet very well, Were accessing in it almost everyday,endulging in it every time and everywhere there are cafes. Internet is our "takbuhan" everytime we have assignments,research,projects and even in intertainments, almost everything you can do whatever you want in the world of Internet.
Eventually, my role would be a good user. I will not abuse any of its benefits. i will make use of its sites opportunities.

whenever i have projects, one click and it's done!
I can really make use of this role in my organization and representation.

Last edited by Marlie E. Sisneros on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://msisneros.blogspot.com/
juvilynconsejo

juvilynconsejo

PostSubject: my_role_assign.9   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 4:16 am

As i observed from my environment nowadays, almost of the people were using some hightech technology or systems yet it is very useful but there was bad effect on our health. So since I am an IT student I would chose in the field of business in a small store because I want that what I learned will be worth it. Why a small store it's because I want to try it first in a small going to big businesses if I can do it successfully then, if I did so GO for GOLD!

What is a eBusiness?

An ebusiness may also use the Internet to acquire wholesale products or supplies for in-house production. This facet of ebusiness is sometimes referred to as eprocurement, and may offer businesses the opportunity to cut their costs dramatically. Even many ebusinesses which operate without an electronic storefront now use eprocurement as a way to better track and manage their purchasing.

In addition to buying and selling products, ebusiness may also handle other traditional business aspects. The use of electronic chat as a form of technical and customer support is an excellent example of this. An ebusiness which uses chat to supplement its traditional phone support finds a system which saves incredible amounts of time while providing opportunities unavailable through traditional support. By using virtual computer systems, for example, technical support operators can remotely access a customer's computer and assist them in correcting a problem. And with the download of a small program, all pertinent information about the hardware and software specifications for a user's computer may be relayed to the support operator directly, without having to walk a customer through personally collecting the data.

Web design is a kind of graphic design intended for development and styling of objects of the Internet's information environment to provide them with high-end consumer features and aesthetic qualities. The offered definition separates web design from web programming, emphasizing the functional features of a web site, as well as positioning web design as a kind of graphic design.

Environment in terms of layout is a double edged sword: on the one hand, it is the expression of a framework that actively shapes the web designer. On the other hand, as the designer adapts that framework to projects, layout is the means of content delivery. Publishing a web engages communication throughout the production process as well as within the product created. Publication implies adaptation of culture and content standards. Web design incorporates multiple intersections between many layers of technical and social understanding, demanding creative direction, design element structure, and some form of social organization. Differing goals and methods resolve effectively in successful deployment of education, software and team management during the design process. However, many competing and evolving platforms and environments challenge acceptance, completion and continuity of every design product.

The process of designing web pages, web sites, web applications or multimedia for the Web may utilize multiple disciplines, such as animation, authoring, communication design, corporate identity, graphic design, human-computer interaction, information architecture, interaction design, marketing, photography, search engine optimization and typography.
I want to act as a Designer and evaluator in a highly-usable website. I kow that people will find a hard time to go to shopping because its traffic and hustle but if they have an eBusiness they could easily buy anything except for those have an expiration perhaps. I believe in my self that I have a skill in designing not only in my past time but also in my work soon...

In order for an organization to be more competitive with the other it's need for them to have trends with the new technology. Rich people would go to an organization which in trends and updated so like our country we need investeors and if want investors we must "akit" with them of what we have. Filipino would do anything just to succeed ecxept fo those bad thing and others say Filipino were talented and hard-work. So I am a Filipino therefore I can do whatever my manager will asked...char!......tan.awon lng....

As I do my job with them of course, I will learn with new information. It was like the LGU of Tagum City staff say that, "as an IT we can't stop our learning because everything we do in our life we've learned". So if my knowledge is not enough I will study it with my own and if there's something I can understand I would asked for some friends or co-workers.

Perhaps, from the start I would feel nervous because it's my first time applying for this job.. All I need is to adjust in my new environment. Second, I need to make "pakisama" with my co-workers, they are the one that I would see and talk so its better for me to know them more...Not only in the social aspect but also in my job. I need that I could satisfy or meet their satisfactions, the manager or the client so that I will succeed. Then, its a good singed that there is an improvement in myself and in my work.

References:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ebusiness.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_design

Last edited by juvilynconsejo on Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:15 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://juvilyn-juvilyn.blogspot.com/
Maria Theresa F. Rulete

Maria Theresa F. Rulete

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 4:14 pm

This strategy is concerned with articulating the goals, rationale and process for developing the Information Environment. This Information Environment must be fit to serve the needs of students, teachers and researchers in further and higher education into the future. The development of a robust and appropriate platform to provide access for educational content for learning, teaching and research purposes is a key component of the JISC 5 year strategy to: 'build an on-line information environment providing secure and convenient access to a comprehensive collection of scholarly and educational material'.

In moving forward this strategy acknowledges that the Information Environment described here is a component of the national and global networked environment. Therefore it should be emphasised that the JISC recognises the number of significant stakeholders with whom there is a clear opportunity to actively engage and collaborate with in the next four to five years.

The Information Environment is clearly key to the goals of achieving an interoperable distributed national electronic resource. Cognate strategies, recognising the interrelation of activities, exist for Collections development and management, and Communications and are on going for Preservation.
This strategy to develop the Information Environment is underpinned by an evolving Implementation Plan demonstrating how the key vision and goals expressed here will be realised through a programme of targeted investment over the next four years.

It is intended that this strategy will be the subject of a series of consultation exercises with communities in order to move forward in a consensual manner, while providing strategic leadership and impetus where appropriate.

From fragmentation..

An Information Environment can be characterised as the set of network or online services that support publishing and use of information and learning resources. At the moment online services providing digital resources tend to operate in a stand-alone manner. The user is therefore required to navigate a complex set of different websites with different search interfaces in order to locate relevant resources. Similarly the resources offered tend to be characterised by a lack of mediation to provide vital signposts to explain context and relevance to the user. It has been recognised that this is one of the key features limiting take up of digital resources.

..To integration

Therefore the Information Environment as it is proposed here aims to offer the user a more seamless and less complex journey to relevant information and learning resources.

For this reason, it is important that this activity is aligned where possible with other developments, nationally and internationally, and that it makes a leading contribution to the enhanced information use and a true democracy of learning opportunity. It is also important that it works to support and influence institutions as they benefit from and contribute to this environment.

Working in a distributed environment

It is acknowledged that the Information Environment envisaged for the JISC is ambitious. This is primarily because this has evolved to embrace two key concepts which are by nature semantically and technically complex to advance through a process of investment, these are the view that:

• digital resources are inherently distributed and will never be delivered by a single service provider

• users do not all want to access information in the same way but will require a diverse range of views of resources in order to satisfy their needs. A web-based portal or VLE for example may operate as a specific window upon a set of distributed resources

Working with a diversity of user requirements

This inherent complexity is a common feature of the emerging e-learning culture and the national and international infrastructures that are being required brought into place to support it. The Development Strategy for the Information Environment needs to articulate how we can progress this distributed model based upon the foundation of the progress made by the JISC in the past 5 years through research and investment.

For example, the JISC's Information Environment needs to progress in such a way that it fully acknowledges the needs of the further as well as higher education constituency. It needs to be geared up to the delivery, discovery and presentation of appropriate learning materials, and needs to support the submission and exchange of learning objects. It is worth pointing out that the needs of the higher education sector are far from resolved in terms of what the JISC currently offers and much further work is needed. However it is essential for the Information Environment to directly engage with post 16 learning requirements.

Emphasising participation

The notion of the Information Environment also supports the goal that lifelong learning is an inherently participatory process, users of national information environments will wish to access but also to add content or context to the resources they use. The information environment must therefore allow this exchange and sharing to take place.

Harnessing and developing standards to underpin the investment

One of the fundamental methods of building national and international environments for accessing shared educational content is recognising that these activities need to be based on standards for the creation, access, use, preservation and moreover interoperability, of networked resources. In order to progress this process, the DNER office have produced a set of Standards and Guidelines intended to underpin the information environment and to support the activities of the development programmes. It is important to note that these standards were prepared in the context of the Government Interoperability Framework, E-gif, and that the standards framework will continue to evolve as the DNER development group actively participates in the process of sharing and building standards for educational resources in a national and international context.

Goals

The following features are key aspects of the evolved Information Environment:

• Fit to serve all kinds of digital content The kinds of electronic content that the Information Environment must deal with are increasingly diverse, and in many cases are based on rapidly evolving and non standard technologies. For example it must be able to accommodate all types of content from streaming video, to electronic books to new types of learning resources. It must be able deliver these efficiently, and must allow them to be accessed and mediated in a series of useful and satisfying ways which progress learning, teaching and research.

• Fully supporting the submission and sharing of research and learning objects Activity will focus on methods to allow members of the community to build the content that they will access, and to share this in meaningful ways with other colleagues and peers. This activity will build a framework for leveraging our mutual community resource, the significance of which is emphasised in the JISC 5 Year strategy and elsewhere.

• Providing a range of meaningful, rich and innovative methods of accessing electronic materials, to enrich and develop the learning and research process This will be achieved through developing new portals services which can fuse relevant content, by subject or learning aim for example, to offer enhanced access and greater relevancy to users. Portals and other services will also be developed so that they can be harnessed and embedded at an institutional level. This will be a component of providing an enhanced presentation layer for the rich content available through JISC funded activity in collections development, the holdings of our national data services, and resources held within our community.

• A collaborative landscape of service providers who work together to seamlessly cater for the needs of the community on a national basis This will be achieved through the developing sophistication of shared services and developments in service infrastructure to enable the providers who work within the Information Environment to operate in a truly joined-up fashion.

• Underpinned by real world interoperability, based upon a common standards framework and common semantic for digital resource description and access It has become clear that enhanced interoperability for users will not be achieved without the agreement of some common semantics to support cross searching. As part of developing the Information Environment the JISC will strive for the cross-sectoral adoptions of standard terminologies, for example for subject, audience level, resource type and certification.

Activity areas and definitions

This strategy presents a vision of an integrated Information Environment with a wide range of methods of accessing information and learning resources suitable for a community with diverse needs, character, and learning, teaching and research demographic. This needs to be fortified by a significant process of targeted investment, that needs to prioritised in logical ways. This strategy is intended to articulate a useful and practical way of moving the JISC's Information Environment forward allowing us through an incremental process to implement what is currently a fairly abstract model, if one conceptually advanced, for access to distributed resources.

This involves the development of: A robust service provider architecture, content submission and sharing mechanisms fusion and portal services, shared infrastructure services, and an enhanced presentation layer, supported by the network infrastructure, Super Janet 4 (managed elsewhere in JISC.)

It should also be noted that, there are a series of pre-existing and forthcoming DNER development programmes and related studies underway in this area. Effort will be directed to ensuring that they are strategically aligned with over all DNER and JISC objectives and that programme results directly support the development of the Information Environment.

Technical Model of the Information Environment

Definition of terms

For the purposes of this strategy and the related Implementation Plan it is important to be consistent about the terminology that is employed and its meaning. It is also recognised that these terms may differ in meanings in other contexts. This usage aims to be as close as possible to that used by UKOLN in their work on defining the abstract DNER architecture.

• Technical Model of the Information Environment this contains all of the elements as indicated above and will termed to have become operational well all elements interact smoothly to provide a seamless service to end users. The Information Environment needs to support both the addition of content to the national resource and its access by end users.

• Provision the storage and delivery of 'content'

• Fusion the bringing together of 'content' from multiple providers either by machine to machine 'brokers and aggregators' or 'portals' which are visible to end users

• Infrastructure Shared Middleware Services which support other activities

• Presentation interaction with the end users in a direct and visible manner to give them access to 'content'

Development process

Essentially building the Information Environment is about how we manage the following stages:

1. Generic Technical Architecture We have, as shown in the above diagram, an abstract technical model for the Information Environment which has been defined in conjunction with UKOLN11.

2. Developing an Information Environment Implementation Plan for 2001-2005 This will define the direction for a series of complementary approaches to funded activity. Investment will comprise, some targeted development funding to experiment with new approaches, to directly involve the community in some programme based activity, and to develop project to service approaches where appropriate. This process will also involve benchmarking the current service providers operating in the Information Environment. We currently have a set of JISC funded service providers who are responsible for providing a range of roles intended primarily to serve educational on-line resources to our community and to support this process in various ways. In order to achieve an operational Information Environment it is essential to benchmark our current services against the model proposed. In this way some investment can be made at a service level to allow providers to operate within the new technical architecture.

3. Building the operational Information Environment To arrive at an operational Information Environment we need to fund and manage the development activity as detailed in the related Implementation Plan. This process is represented diagrammatically as follows:

Implementation plans and studies

Building the Information Environment is a complex and wide ranging activity, therefore it is important to emphasise that this Development Strategy is supported by a series of documents presenting detailed approaches. Some of these are already in place others are under development. (* = already in place.)

1. DNER Technical Architecture UKOLN's work12* on the technical architecture of the DNER. Ongoing work: UKOLN are working to develop this area and to provide a range of studies and supporting specifications which will provide us with a firm technical underpinning for the approaches we take in moving forward.

2. Implementation plan for the Information Environment* The evolving plan encompasses the following areas, it is currently in its second draft stage. Building the Information Environment:

o Content submission mechanisms programme
o Service provider development programme
o Portals and fusion programme
o Shared service programme
o Presentation programme
o Evaluation activity

3. Programme Management procedures and guidance for DNER Development programmes:

o Reporting framework*
o Standards and guidelines*
o Copyright and licensing guidelines*
o Business and exit strategy

Development timescales and targets

The overall timeframe for this phase of the development of the Information Environment is between 2001 and 2005. It is important to recognise however, that this is only the first phase of a longer term process of transformation within environments enabling access to electronic resources. This ongoing transformation will be the result of both the evolution of technology and resulting cultural change within learning, teaching and research.

It is important to note that not all the areas in which we will invest between 2001-2005 will lead to the development of fully operational services by the end of the 2004/5 academic year. For some areas it seems likely that the development trajectory will takes place over a longer time scale. We will need to accept that some activity will result in learning outcomes or enhanced understanding of a particular area and will not in itself lead to an operational service. It is also important to recognise that the Information Environment is an evolving concept and related development plans and programmes will need to be reviewed on an annual basis in order to retain flexibility and to be responsive to change.

The implementation plan for the Information Environment referred to above presents detailed recommendations for moving forward in each area of activity referred to above. The following are the targets we intend to achieve in each area dedicated to building the Information Environment by 2005:

3.1) Content submission mechanisms programme

-to progress access to and sharing of community content through developing and enhancing mechanisms for the disclosure, discovery, deposit and exchange of resources
-to have significantly enhanced access to community collections through the use of these mechanisms
-to have funded and managed a number of community based programmes in order to ascertain the organisational, technical, and business challenges involved in sustaining this area as a core strand of JISC activity

3.2) Service provider development programme

-to have developed a service provider architecture suitable for the realisation of the Information Environment
-to have funded a range of development activity needed to transform 'service vision' into 'service provision'
-to have in place by a sustainable network of service providers whose services are developed to provide the operational Information Environment

3.3) Portals and fusion programme

-to have a fully developed view of the nature and role of portals within the Information Environment
-to have developed and tested a series of demonstrator portals in a range of subject, format based, and community based areas
-to have been able to commit to a strategy for full portal roll out to satisfy the core needs of learner, teachers and researchers in further and higher education
-to have explored the potential of portals as an extendable network of 'gate keepers' to content being generated within a variety of cross sectoral initiatives, and their ability to address a variety of audiences beyond the formal education sector

3.4) Shared services programme

-to have fully ascertained the parameters for the operation of shared services within the Information Environment and to have reached an integrated technical solution that also inter-works effectively with developments in authentication and authorisation managed elsewhere in JISC
-to have undertaken a series of studies, prototypes, and pilots leading to operational services in order to have tested the full range of shared services to lead to a full roll out from 2005

3.5) Presentation programme

-to have significantly improved the usability of JISC Services and resources offered through the Information Environment
-to have established the most effective means of embedding the presentation of resources within institutional, departmental, local and personal environments
-to have established and disseminated best practice where ever possible in design of interfaces to support the requirements of access to diverse types of digital resources

Moving forward in collaboration

The Information Environment development is part of a national and global agenda for developing cognate environments for lifelong learning. Other initiatives for example, the People's Network, National Grid for Learning and Research Grid are, like the JISC's Information Environment, intending to provide information and resources for new generations of adult learners who will increasingly rely on accessing information and training through virtual, networked environments. This is also true of key public bodies such as the British Library and National Health Service who are also embracing the potential of digital access. This strategy recognises that the key to pursuing the development of the Information Environment is in partnership with other agencies who are also looking to find solutions to the challenges of distributed information resources and ways of presenting them to new audiences.

The strategy as it is presented here does not suggest that JISC has found all the answers to the issues of distributing searching and access to relevant resources for life long learning. Technology and paradigms for access are fast moving, and managing this change is an intrinsic part of the process. This strategy is intended to explicate the directions in which it is proposed forward funding will be focussed, which will be refined in consultation with others who have a stake in the concepts and processes that underpin this development.

Character of development activity: from innovation to operation

Development activity is essential for the JISC across all of its various initiatives and programmes, it defines the process of moving forward and allows targeted investment to take place. In this way development activity is clearly pivotal for a leading edge initiative such as the Information Environment. This strategy and the concepts it puts forward, aim to add coherence to the process of positioning the JISC as the provider of an information environment suitable for the next generation of adult learners and teachers in the UK.

Innovation

The information environment as proposed here, is by nature innovative and rests upon a conceptual framework that is in advance of what is currently offered to students and teachers who access digital resources, and the technologies that are in place. It should be recognised at the outset, that while every effort will be made to take on board the research outcomes of development activity, not all current projects will lead us to operational services. Some activity is by nature experimental, allowing us to test our assumptions and proposed directions, and to evaluate them with users. All development activity will exist within a 'business' and organisational environment whose constraints necessitate strategic decisions about ongoing funding.

Cultural change

It should be noted that, these new developments are not only technically innovative they have the power to transform the process of learning and research. By transforming and informing the currency of how information and learning resources are accessed they will bring fundamental change to the process of learning and research. For example, the Information Environment will provide new opportunities for interrogating aggregated resources supporting the discovery, and the presentation of items in new contexts so pushing back the boundaries of knowledge.

Demonstration

Equally however, as it stays ahead of the game, the JISC needs to provide active evidence of what the landscape of the future will look like. The Information Environment is about providing resources to students now, and in ways which appeal to them and those who teach them. The JISC needs to be able to demonstrate the range of significant services and resources that it supports, while providing evidence, particularly to teachers and information mediators, of the validity of new approaches.

Harnessing distributed resources

Development activity is therefore about two different kinds of processes which will need to run in parallel for both JISC and DNER:

-It is firstly about allowing the services and resources that are visible to our end users to be presented to them in such a way that they are actively used and understood, allowing them to become a normal aspect of the teaching, learning and research process.
-econdly development activity is that which allows us to push forward the boundaries of information provision, allowing us to test out new approaches.

Management, consultation and dissemination

Management mechanisms

The Implementation Plan will provide more detail about the range of management processes underway to support the process of going forward.

The development of the Information Environment is being lead by the DNER development team reporting to the JISC Committee for Electronic Information (JCEI). In future it is anticipated that the activity will be overseen by a dedicated Information Environment committee, and will operate within the JISC Executive Development Directorate. Co-ordination mechanisms will embrace input from JISC Committees, staff and stakeholder communities (An informal technical working group is also proposed to orientate this activity more closely with commercial developers of relevant systems and services).

It is expected that the flow of development activity funding will be managed through the following three processes:

-Community calls to directly engage with institutional, domain and user issues in working on projects which directly test, examine and model the role of sharing and exchanging community content within the DNER, for example.
-Funding closely orientated to augment existing service provision and work with JISC funded service providers in achieving an operable environment.
-Project funding to involve a range of players in further and higher education community in order to embrace expertise in developing new approaches.

Consultation process

In moving forward it is important to recognise the role the following groups:

-Representatives of cognate initiatives those developing parallel approaches within a UK and International Context. An appropriate channel for this input will be put in place to ensure ongoing input
-Members of the FE and HE community will be invited to comment on the Development Strategy and related plans, and in particularly to consider the impacts and benefits upon institutions and the users that they serve

Dissemination activities

The communications and dissemination activities which will need to take place in order to develop the Information Environment collaboratively with the user community and stakeholders are given a broader strategic point of reference by the DNER Communications Strategy and the overarching JISC communication strategy planned by JISC Assist.

However within this framework, specific activities, groups and events will need to be planned and prioritised in order to allow team managing this area to target its efforts toward communication and dissemination activities which directly enhance the process of moving forward.

Evaluation strategy

It is essential to consider the role of ongoing evaluation activity, whether formative or summative, its scale, role and funding as a part of the wider suite of activities with which this strategy is concerned. The Implementation Plan makes some preliminary recommendations for the nature and scale of dedicated evaluation activity appropriate to this development.

It should be noted that the formative evaluation of the DNER development programmes (funded in advance of this strategy) has commenced, and is being carried out by the eDNER team. eDNER is led by the Centre for Research in Library & Information Management (CERLIM) at the Manchester Metropolitan University. The existing development programmes will remain the focus of this work though it is hoped that for the remaining period of this activity, some effort can be aligned to feeding into the process of developing the Information Environment and considering its on-going and future impacts upon the community that we serve.

http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/themes/informationenvironment/stratieds0105draft2.aspx

My Blog: http://etelur.blogspot.com/2009/10/mis-assignment-9.html

Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Icon_bounce Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Icon_arrow Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Icon_razz

Last edited by tere_etelur on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:38 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
jojimie

jojimie

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Aug 25, 2009 1:50 pm

What is an Information Environment?

There is now a critical mass of digital information resources that can be used to support researchers, learners, teachers and administrators in their work and study. The production of information is on the increase and ways to deal with this effectively are required. There is the need to ensure that quality information isn’t lost amongst the masses of digital data created everyday. If we can continue to improve the management, interrogation and serving of ‘quality’ information there is huge potential to enhance knowledge creation across learning and research communities. The aim of the Information Environment is to help provide convenient access to resources for research and learning through the use of resource discovery and resource management tools and the development of better services and practice. The Information Environment aims to allow discovery, access and use of resources for research and learning irrespective of their location.
An information environment incorporates all the factors affecting how an organization deals with information. It addresses all of a company’s values and beliefs about information, how people actually use information and what they do with it, the pitfalls that can interfere with information sharing and use, and the technology and information systems that are in place. A broad perspective is necessary to understand the impact of intangibles because addressing intangible assets and capabilities will require changes in and adaptations to regulation, governance, attitudes and behaviors—in addition to systems and technologies.

Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Internet InTerNET

Internet is a global system of interconnected computer networks that use the standardized Internet Protocol Suite (TCP/IP) to serve billions of users worldwide. It is a network of networks that consists of millions of private and public, academic, business, and government networks of local to global scope that are linked by copper wires, fiber-optic cables, wireless connections, and other technologies. The Internet carries a vast array of information resources and services, most notably the inter-linked hypertext documents of the World Wide Web (WWW) and the infrastructure to support electronic mail. In addition it supports popular services such as online chat, file transfer and file sharing, gaming, commerce, social networking, publishing, video on demand, and teleconferencing and telecommunications. Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) applications allows person-to-person communication via voice and video.

Advantages

♥️Communication

The foremost target of internet has always been the communication. And internet has excelled beyond the expectations .Still; innovations are going on to make it faster, more reliable. By the advent of computer’s Internet, our earth has reduced and has attained the form of a global village.
Now we can communicate in a fraction of second with a person who is sitting in the other part of the world. Today for better communication, we can avail the facilities of e-mail; we can chat for hours with our loved ones. There are plenty messenger services in offering. With help of such services, it has become very easy to establish a kind of global friendship where you can share your thoughts, can explore other cultures of different ethnicity.

♥️Information
Information is probably the biggest advantage internet is offering. The Internet is a virtual treasure trove of information. Any kind of information on any topic under the sun is available on the Internet. The search engines like Google, yahoo is at your service on the Internet. You can almost find any type of data on almost any kind of subject that you are looking for. There is a huge amount of information available on the internet for just about every subject known to man, ranging from government law and services, trade fairs and conferences, market information, new ideas and technical support, the list is end less.
Students and children are among the top users who surf the Internet for research. Today, it is almost required that students should use the Internet for research for the purpose of gathering resources. Teachers have started giving assignments that require research on the Internet. Almost every coming day, researches on medical issues become much easier to locate. Numerous web sites available on the net are offering loads of information for people to research diseases and talk to doctors online at sites such as, America’s Doctor. During 1998 over 20 million people reported going online to retrieve health information.

♥️Entertainment
Entertainment is another popular raison d'être why many people prefer to surf the Internet. In fact, media of internet has become quite successful in trapping multifaceted entertainment factor. Downloading games, visiting chat rooms or just surfing the Web are some of the uses people have discovered. There are numerous games that may be downloaded from the Internet for free. The industry of online gaming has tasted dramatic and phenomenal attention by game lovers. Chat rooms are popular because users can meet new and interesting people. In fact, the Internet has been successfully used by people to find life long partners. When people surf the Web, there are numerous things that can be found. Music, hobbies, news and more can be found and shared on the Internet.
♥️Services
Many services are now provided on the internet such as online banking, job seeking, purchasing tickets for your favorite movies, guidance services on array of topics engulfing the every aspect of life, and hotel reservations. Often these services are not available off-line and can cost you more.
♥️E-Commerce
E-commerce is the concept used for any type of commercial maneuvering, or business deals that involves the transfer of information across the globe via Internet. It has become a phenomenon associated with any kind of shopping, almost anything. You name it and E-commerce with its giant tentacles engulfing every single product and service will make you available at your door steps. It has got a real amazing and wide range of products from household needs, technology to entertainment.

Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Internet
My Role in in the Internet and The Different Challenges

The Internet has become ubiquitous to our way of life; it’s everywhere, and so common that we only notice it when it’s not available. But what is this mysterious Internet, and what are its pros and cons?
Some of the Internet’s strengths are also its greatest weaknesses. The biggest Internet benefit touted by proponents is that it’s available to anyone. Even if you don’t have Internet access yourself, you can go to most public libraries and log on there. Of course, since anyone can take a trip into cyberspace, people who have less-than-pure intentions are out on the World Wide Web along with the rest of us.

Yet information and communication are two of the Internet’s biggest advantages, and those advantages are distinctive. Information can be shared across computers, localities, time zones, and countries. Multi-national corporations can keep a project going ‘round the clock, moving it between workstations electronically via the Internet. Communication can happen via e-mail, Instant Messaging, or file sharing. Even telephone calls can now travel via the Internet, in a process known as VoIP, or Voice over Internet Protocol.
Besides work, the Internet also enhances play. Music, pictures and video can all be shared with a worldwide audience via the Internet. Want to preview your favorite band’s new song? You can probably hear a short piece of it for free. Games are available, some hosted on web sites or servers so you can try to save the universe while a "villain" playing the same game in Australia or Austria tries to destroy it. Dating and online gambling, including blackjack and poker, are two very popular diversions on the Internet.
However, the Internet has a dark side. It can be anonymous, or almost so, if you know how to cover your cyber address. This anonymity tempts people to do things they normally wouldn’t do in real life. Pornography sites have sprung up, some disguised as legitimate websites.
There are also threats to your computer and your personal information out in cyberspace. Computers run on programs, and those can be compromised by people with the technical knowledge and skill. They can figure out ways to infiltrate your computer. At the least, they can "spam" you with unwanted e-mail messages. At the worst, your computer may become infected with a "virus", a malignant program that takes over your computer. It may wipe out your hard drive and all the information on it, or send that information to the cyber-crook’s computer. Your personal information may be stolen, and that could lead to identity theft.
Using the Internet requires good protection in the form of a strong anti-virus program, as well as becoming educated about what "spoof" e-mail, spamming, and phishing are. But with proper precautions, your Internet experience can be very enriching, and you’ll soon discover that the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.

Do you know about internet? I guess, this is one of stupid question that I ask. Everyone in this world is so close with computers, so it is unavoidable for them to know about internet. Internet is one of the best sources for gathering any information regarding with your doubts. At present, the usage of internet is high in numbers, which expects to be more in nearly future. The internet is having more advantages, one page is not sufficient for me to explain all about it.

So here, we are going to see some of the best advantages among it. First, we will see about Email, which is one of the valuable tools especially for business. You can able to keep touch with your business clients by such email. The email allows you to send or receiving messages at any part of the world. We can perk up our contacts with every one in this world by only using of emails. This internet facility is available for every 24 hours in a day, 7 days in a week, and 365 days in a year.
Lots of information is stored in the internet, which are the ideal advantages of using such internet technology. Most of the people are dependent on internet in order to improve their knowledge. You can also able to chat with your friends or business clients by using such internet, which will improve your relations effectively. One can also able to pay their telephone bills, electric bills in a single place without straining yourself in a long queues. The internet is the best source for satisfy all your thirst of hearing your favorite songs, videos and so on. The internet will offer you lots of advantages and some disadvantages as well.

Challenges

The rapid growth of the Internet, both in terms of data traffic and in terms of diversity of services, has led to a high complexity of the Internet architecture, which is ever harder to manage, the more the Internet grows and the more new services are added. Over time, a number of additional protocols have been put on top of the TCP/IP protocol suite, in order to accommodate the increased requirements of fixed and mobile Internet services. There are currently close to 40 different protocols on the data plane and more than 40 protocols on the control plane of the Internet.

The entirety of these protocols looks more like a patchwork than a consistent architecture that addresses current and future challenges. In the course of deploying these patches, almost all of the original architectural principles have been breached. This has led to a number of urgent problems, particularly in the areas of security and scalability. Some pundits even speculate that the Internet may soon be on the brink of collapsing, if its rapid growth continues.

The challenges resulting from the current patchwork architecture are manifold, and the goals for the envisioned architecture are sometimes conflicting. Although there is no common and agreed vision yet, most experts would probably agree that the Future Internet should be dependable, scalable, manageable, sustainable, and flexible in order to integrate new services yet unknown. The main challenge is to develop an Internet architecture that has all these attributes. Will it be possible to protect users from spam and malicious code, yet retain the openness of the Internet? How can privacy and accountability be reconciled? Can the Internet be open for a multitude of new services while at the same time ensuring high reliability?

References:
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/themes/informationenvironment.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet
http://www.observatoire-immateriel.com/spip.php?article341

lol! pls. visit my blog..megsgang050890.blogspot.com

Last edited by jojimie on Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
♥ilyn_mapalo♥

♥ilyn_mapalo♥

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Aug 27, 2009 7:49 am

We are now in an information age in which new discoveries and inventories of technology are being introduce to us which can give to the people of the world a very big help. Like in most organizations in which it makes all the transactions faster and easier.
Our last assignment is to find an information environment of our choice and what could be our role in that certain environment. Let's first define information environment. First to define is information. Information as a concept has a diversity of meanings, from everyday usage to technical settings. Generally speaking, the concept of information is closely related to notions of constraint, communication, control, data, form, instruction, knowledge, meaning, mental stimulus, pattern, perception, and representation. While environment is the surroundings which we belong. When we combine the two meanings, it result in area in which all the professional people are working together and of course uses their skills for the success of their organization. In information environment, it consists of each department to work for which specify your skills. Either in making programs or an analysts and many other departments.

Ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information

There is now a critical mass of digital information resources that can be used to support researchers, learners, teachers and administrators in their work and study. The production of information is on the increase and ways to deal with this effectively are required.  There is the need to ensure that quality information isn’t lost amongst the masses of digital data created everyday. If we can continue to improve the management, interrogation and serving of ‘quality’ information there is huge potential to enhance knowledge creation across learning and research communities. The aim of the Information Environment is to help provide convenient access to resources for research and learning through the use of resource discovery and resource management tools and the development of better services and practice.  The Information Environment aims to allow discovery, access and use of resources for research and learning irrespective of their location.

Ref:http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/themes/informationenvironment.aspx

My course is BSIT or Bachelor of Science in Information Technology. Information Technology as defined by wiki, is "the study, design, development, implementation, support or management of computer-based information systems, particularly software applications and computer hardware."IT deals with the use of electronic computers and computer software to convert, store, protect, process, transmit, and securely retrieve information.
Today, the term information technology has ballooned to encompass many aspects of computing and technology, and the term has become very recognizable. IT professionals perform a variety of duties that range from installing applications to designing complex computer networks and information databases. A few of the duties that IT professionals perform may include data management, networking, engineering computer hardware, database and software design, as well as the management and administration of entire systems. When computer and communications technologies are combined, the result is information technology, or "infotech". Information technology is a general term that describes any technology that helps to produce, manipulate, store, communicate, and/or disseminate information. Presumably, when speaking of Information Technology (IT) as a whole, it is noted that the use of computers and information are associated.

When I entered this course, I don't know how to use computer. During the entrance examination, I don't know what to write in the preffered course. And because of “computer” word, I write the BSIT as my course without any knowledge about it.

An information environment of my choice:

Well, we all know that a graduate of a BSIT course is an intellect one because IT has something to do with software applications program which needs to be analyze first, and then program. I'm not sure if i'm able to finish this course but i'm hoping I can face all the challenges and difficulties in this course. For me, I want to be in the IT department of a certain company. IT department as I know has different divisions. Like for example, a department for all the professional system analyst. A systems analyst is responsible for researching, planning, coordinating and recommending software and system choices to meet an organization's business requirements. The systems analyst plays a vital role in the systems development process. A successful systems analyst must acquire four skills: analytical, technical, managerial, and interpersonal. Analytical skills enable systems analysts to understand the organization and its functions, which helps him/her to identify opportunities and to analyze and solve problems. Technical skills help systems analysts understand the potential and the limitations of information technology. The systems analyst must be able to work with various programming languages, operating systems, and computer hardware platforms. Management skills help systems analysts manage projects, resources, risk, and change. Interpersonal skills help systems analysts work with end users as well as with analysts, programmers, and other systems professionals.
Because they must write user requests into technical specifications, the systems analysts are the liaisons between vendors and the IT professionals of the organization they represent[1] They may be responsible for developing cost analysis, design considerations, and implementation time-lines. They may also be responsible for feasibility studies of a computer system before making recommendations to senior management.
A systems analyst performs the following tasks:

Interact with the customers to know their requirements
Interact with designers to convey the possible interface of the software
Interact/guide the coders/developers to keep track of system development
Perform system testing with sample/live data with the help of testers
Implement the new system
Prepare High quality Documentation

A software analyst is the person who studies the software application domain and prepares the software requirements and specification (Software Requirements Specification) document. Software analyst is the same between the software users and the software developers. It conveys the demands of the software users to the developers. A software analyst is expected to have the following skills:
Working knowledge of software technology
Computer programming experience and expertise
General business knowledge
Problem solving and problem reduction skills
Interpersonal relation skills
Be flexible and adaptable

ref:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_analyst

Another is web designer. Web design is the skill of creating presentations of content (usually hypertext or hypermedia) that is delivered to an end-user through the World Wide Web, by way of a Web browser or other Web-enabled software like Internet television clients, microblogging clients and RSS readers.
Web design is a kind of graphic design intended for development and styling of objects of the Internet's information environment to provide them with high-end consumer features and aesthetic qualities. The offered definition separates web design from web programming, emphasizing the functional features of a web site, as well as positioning web design as a kind of graphic design.
Web design is the skill of creating presentations of content (usually hypertext or hypermedia) that is delivered to an end-user through the World Wide Web, by way of a Web browser or other Web-enabled software like Internet television clients, microblogging clients and RSS readers.
Web pages and web sites can be static pages, or can be programmed to be dynamic pages that automatically adapt content or visual appearance depending on a variety of factors, such as input from the end-user, input from the Webmaster or changes in the computing environment (such as the site's associated database having been modified). With growing specialization within communication design and information technology fields, there is a strong tendency to draw a clear line between web design specifically for web pages and web development for the overall logistics of all web-based services.

Another is system design engineering. Systems engineering (also known as Systems design engineering) is an interdisciplinary field of engineering that focuses on how complex engineering projects should be designed and managed. Issues such as logistics, the coordination of different teams, and automatic control of machinery become more difficult when dealing with large, complex projects. Systems engineering deals with work-processes and tools to handle such projects, and it overlaps with both technical and human-centered disciplines such as control engineering and project management.

A programmer is someone who writes computer software. The term computer programmer can refer to a specialist in one area of computer programming or to a generalist who writes code for many kinds of software. One who practices or professes a formal approach to programming may also be known as a programmer analyst. A programmer's primary computer language (Lisp, Java, Delphi, C++, etc.) is often prefixed to the above titles, and those who work in a web environment often prefix their titles with web. The term programmer can be used to refer to a software developer, software engineer, computer scientist, or software analyst. However, members of these professions typically possess other software engineering skills, beyond programming; for this reason, the term programmer is sometimes considered an insulting or derogatory oversimplification of these other professions. This has sparked much debate amongst developers, analysts, computer scientists, programmers, and outsiders who continue to be puzzled at the subtle differences in these occupations.[
A game programmer is a software engineer who primarily develops video games or related software (such as game development tools). Game programming has many specialized disciplines; practitioners of any may regard themselves as "game programmers". A game programmer should not be confused with a game designer; many designers are also programmers, but not all are, and it is rare for one person to serve both roles in modern professional games.

From those mention above some IT jobs, I rather be a programmer.There are many kinds of programmer and either of it i'm willing to work.

principles of information organization:

As I searched the internet, I found three principles and these are
Knowledge needs to be organized for communities
In designing tools to support the organization of knowledge, guiding principle must be that of user orientation and predominant usage
Standardization and networking provide infrastructures, which facilitate effective and efficient access to information and documents

For the first principle, needs of the community for information, documents, education and recreation are established through user studies, service delivery, committees ('focus groups'), involvement with stake holders in the community and other interactions with the community. Similarly the producers of databases, who organize knowledge embedded in document and databases, do so with the understanding of the marketplace, and the type and format of information that is likely to cultivate and maintain a loyal customer base. Portals could be viewed as the electronic agency that tailors document access and information services for specific communities. Nature of communities varies with the type of portal - public, commercial, internal, etc. However, the imperative to develop a community is clear. Public service needs to be offered to an identifiable community for resources to continue to support the portal .Commercial portals need to be convinced that their Internet activities are having a positive effect on awareness, reputation and trade .Creation of communities cannot be left to chance .E-organisations need to go beyond defining relationships with the customers, to taking a lead in the definition of the culture and values of the community they are seeking to create .This definition will assist consumers to identify with a community to which they can contribute. For user orientation, in the design of access points, index terms, search keys, and, more traditionally, headings, the principles of user orientation and reference to the user's cognitive and semantic frameworks has been long established. Traditional classification schemes were hierarchical in nature, as are the menu structures embedded in many web sites. Limitations of classification schemes has become evident with the growth of knowledge - resulting in cross-classification (location of a topic in multiple hierarchies). And for the last principle, global L&I community has achieved great success in international networks and networking activities .Support exchange of bibliographic data and documents and a host of other services.Demonstrate the sharing of expertise and perspectives in relation to the organization of knowledge. Use of these standards also leads to standardization in the interfaces offered to the user.

Challenges:

One of the challenges that I might encounter is having no experience.It means lack of experience or of the knowledge or skill resulting from experience. In real world situation, we can't deny the fact that a certain company or organization would hire person whom with experience. They just concern about their company's welfare. And if ever I am hired even though I don't have any experience, I will do my very best to do my job well. And how can I do that? I will just keep on learning what to learn and just keep on reading that is relevant to the job. And if ever there's something that I don't know, I should not be hesitant to ask to my colleagues. By that, I'm gaining information/knowledge.

Last edited by ♥ilyn_mapalo♥ on Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Alfredo V. Ala-an

Alfredo V. Ala-an

PostSubject: ASSIGNMENT 9   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 5:19 am

Arrow For me my role with this issue is because I am an IT student well i just use this to spreed out this news in the net even this is very known in the internet.

Arrow As for this joining some forums in the net that they can give us new knowledge to solve this kind of problem.

Arrow Well, enable to pursue this kind of role one of the challenges is the soul of pursuing this role. I know this is a hard to meet but reading in formations like this is actually is a quiet interesting for me, and even in the my daily doings i contributed this news to persons who don't know the roots of this problems like the issue of stopping of using fossil fuel to minimize the global warming. Well, I'm proud to say that i did this i remember when i tell some of my cousins about of this issue i they know about this so that what i really want to do to read some new articles and to spreed out this news to the people so that if we are able to do this all in the world i think and probably we can see some solutions to this problem starting at our self.

****************************************************************************************************
ISSUE: World Leaders Agree to End Fossil-Fuel Subsidies to Slow Global Warming

At the Group of 20 (G20) meeting in Pittsburgh last week, the world's largest economies agreed to end subsidies for oil, coal and other fossil fuels that produce greenhouse gases and contribute to global warming, but failed to move ahead on offering financial aid to developing countries that are already feeling the effects of climate change.

The $300 billion spent every year on subsidies worldwide actually accelerates global warming by keeping prices artificially low and increasing demand for fossil fuels. Phasing out the subsidies between now and 2020, as the G20 nations intend, would decrease global greenhouse gas emissions 10 percent by 2050.

By punting temporarily on providing "climate change" money to poor countries, the G20 leaders renewed concerns that they may lack the commitment to achieve a meaningful international pact to slow global warming when they meet with other nations at the United Nations Copenhagen climate conference in December. Yet, in a joint statement, the G20 leaders pledged to increase their efforts to reach an agreement this year. They also asked their finance ministers to develop a variety of climate-related financial aid strategies for them to consider at their next meeting.

What Causes the Greenhouse Effect?

Life on earth depends on energy from the sun. About 30 percent of the sunlight that beams toward Earth is deflected by the outer atmosphere and scattered back into space. The rest reaches the planet’s surface and is reflected upward again as a type of slow-moving energy called infrared radiation.

As it rises, infrared radiation is absorbed by “greenhouse gases” such as water vapor, carbon dioxide, ozone and methane, which slows its escape from the atmosphere.

Although greenhouse gases make up only about 1 percent of the Earth’s atmosphere, they regulate our climate by trapping heat and holding it in a kind of warm-air blanket that surrounds the planet.

This phenomenon is what scientists call the "greenhouse effect." Without it, scientists estimate that the average temperature on Earth would be colder by approximately 30 degrees Celsius (54 degrees Fahrenheit), far too cold to sustain our current ecosystem.

How Do Humans Contribute to the Greenhouse Effect?
While the greenhouse effect is an essential environmental prerequisite for life on Earth, there really can be too much of a good thing.

The problems begin when human activities distort and accelerate the natural process by creating more greenhouse gases in the atmosphere than are necessary to warm the planet to an ideal temperature.

* Burning natural gas, coal and oil —including gasoline for automobile engines—raises the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.

* Some farming practices and land-use changes increase the levels of methane and nitrous oxide.

* Many factories produce long-lasting industrial gases that do not occur naturally, yet contribute significantly to the enhanced greenhouse effect and “global warming” that is currently under way.

* Deforestation also contributes to global warming. Trees use carbon dioxide and give off oxygen in its place, which helps to create the optimal balance of gases in the atmosphere. As more forests are logged for timber or cut down to make way for farming, however, there are fewer trees to perform this critical function.

* Population growth is another factor in global warming, because as more people use fossil fuels for heat, transportation and manufacturing the level of greenhouse gases continues to increase. As more farming occurs to feed millions of new people, more greenhouse gases enter the atmosphere.

Ultimately, more greenhouse gases means more infrared radiation trapped and held, which gradually increases the temperature of the Earth’s surface and the air in the lower atmosphere.

The Average Global Temperature is Increasing Quickly
Today, the increase in the Earth’s temperature is increasing with unprecedented speed. To understand just how quickly global warming is accelerating, consider this:

During the entire 20th century, the average global temperature increased by about 0.6 degrees Celsius (slightly more than 1 degree Fahrenheit).

Using computer climate models, scientists estimate that by the year 2100 the average global temperature will increase by 1.4 degrees to 5.8 degrees Celsius (approximately 2.5 degrees to 10.5 degrees Fahrenheit).

Not All Scientists Agree
While the majority of mainstream scientists agree that global warming is a serious problem that is growing steadily worse, there are some who disagree. John Christy, a professor and director of the Earth System Science Center at the University of Alabama in Huntsville is a respected climatologist who argues that global warming isn’t worth worrying about.

Christy reached that opinion after analyzing millions of measurements from weather satellites in an effort to find a global temperature trend. He found no sign of global warming in the satellite data, and now believes that predictions of global warming by as much as 10 degrees Fahrenheit by the end of the 21st century are incorrect.

What Causes Global Warming?
What is really causing the global warming and rapid climate change we're beginning to see worldwide?

Global Warming is Unstoppable and Humans are to Blame, says UN Report

On Friday, February 2, 2007, the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)—the leading international group of climate scientists—published a 20-page summary of a much longer scientific report, The Physical Basis of Climate Change [pdf], which confirms global warming is now “unequivocal” and states with more than 90 percent certainty that human activity “very likely” has been the primary cause of rising temperatures worldwide since 1950.

The report summary also says that global warming is likely to continue for centuries, and that it is already too late to stop some of the serious consequences it will bring—even if mankind could somehow hold the line on greenhouse gas emissions worldwide starting today.

Despite those grim conclusions, however, the report does say that there is still time to slow global warming and to lessen many of its most severe consequences if we act quickly. At the same time, the IPCC report avoids prescribing specific strategies, leaving that to policymakers worldwide, the audience for which the report summary was prepared.

This article answers some of the most common questions about the IPCC report and its predictions for the future of our planet.

Q: What are the expected consequences of global warming based on the summary of the fourth IPCC assessment of climate change science?

A: Global temperatures are expected to increase 3.5 to 8 degrees Fahrenheit by 2050, and there is a 1-in-10 chance that the increase could be far worse, a risk that many experts believe is too great to ignore.

Rising temperatures will alter global weather patterns that have a direct effect on water supplies and agriculture. Deserts will expand, the frequency and severity of droughts and deadly heat waves will increase, and snow will disappear in most areas—except on the very highest mountain peaks.

Sea levels worldwide are expected to rise between 7 and 23 inches by 2100, and will continue to rise for at least the next 1,000 years.

Fierce storms, such as hurricanes, will become more frequent and more floods will occur, due to rising sea levels and heavier rainfall in some areas.

Continuing global warming will also lead to a rise in many diseases that are deadly to humans. Flooding will contaminate water supplies in some areas, giving rise to infectious diseases. Rising temperatures will also increase the range and breeding grounds of mosquitoes and other disease-bearing insects, exposing more people to diseases such as malaria, dengue fever, yellow fever and encephalitis.

Q: What does the IPCC report say about the relationship between global warming and human activity?

A: In the strongest language ever used by the IPCC, the report says that human activity “very likely” has been the primary cause of global warming since 1950. (The term “very likely” indicates more than 90 percent certainty.)

The report summary also says that human activity has been a major contributor to climate change since the Industrial Revolution, which began around 1750.

Global concentrations of carbon dioxide, methane and nitrous oxide—three of the most notable greenhouse gases—have increased significantly over the past 250 years as direct result of human activities. Concentrations of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases now far exceed any found during ice core research spanning the past 650,000 years.

The increase of carbon dioxide is due primarily to the use of fossil fuels, such as oil and coal, and changes in land use, such as cutting down forests to make way for farming, housing and other development. Increases in methane and nitrous oxide are primarily due to agriculture.

Q: What does the report say about the risks of rising sea levels due to global warming?

A: Sea levels worldwide are expected to rise between 7 and 23 inches by 2100, and will continue to rise for at least the next 1,000 years. By comparison, global sea levels rose 6 to 9 inches in the 20th century, so the effects of global warming on sea levels are clearly accelerating.

Rising sea levels will create millions of environmental refugees as people are forced to leave their homes in coastal areas. Many nations will be unequipped to cope with the waves of immigrants looking for new homes.

Increased levels of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere will change the pH balance of seawater, making it slightly more acidic. Although the oceans will remain alkaline, marine biologists predict that a shift toward greater acidity could threaten the survival of coral reefs and plankton—an essential and fundamental link in the marine food chain.

Even a moderate increase in the build up of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere could easily push average global temperatures to levels last seen 125,000 years ago during a warm period between two ice ages. At that time, sea levels were 12 to 20 feet higher than they are today. Much of the water from that earlier period is now frozen in Greenland and Antarctica, but many of those ice fields are beginning to melt.

Because scientists are not certain how quickly polar ice will melt, the estimates of sea level increases in the report are based on how much warming oceans will expand and do not take into account anticipated runoff from melting ice on land in Greenland and the polar regions.

Top 10 Things You Can Do to Reduce Global Warming

1. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
Do your part to reduce waste by choosing reusable products instead of disposables. Buying products with minimal packaging (including the economy size when that makes sense for you) will help to reduce waste. And whenever you can, recycle paper, plastic, newspaper, glass and aluminum cans. If there isn't a recycling program at your workplace, school, or in your community, ask about starting one. By recycling half of your household waste, you can save 2,400 pounds of carbon dioxide annually.

2. Use Less Heat and Air Conditioning
Adding insulation to your walls and attic, and installing weather stripping or caulking around doors and windows can lower your heating costs more than 25 percent, by reducing the amount of energy you need to heat and cool your home.

Turn down the heat while you're sleeping at night or away during the day, and keep temperatures moderate at all times. Setting your thermostat just 2 degrees lower in winter and higher in summer could save about 2,000 pounds of carbon dioxide each year.

3. Change a Light Bulb
Wherever practical, replace regular light bulbs with compact fluorescent light (CFL) bulbs. Replacing just one 60-watt incandescent light bulb with a CFL will save you $30 over the life of the bulb. CFLs also last 10 times longer than incandescent bulbs, use two-thirds less energy, and give off 70 percent less heat.

If every U.S. family replaced one regular light bulb with a CFL, it would eliminate 90 billion pounds of greenhouse gases, the same as taking 7.5 million cars off the road.

4. Drive Less and Drive Smart
Less driving means fewer emissions. Besides saving gasoline, walking and biking are great forms of exercise. Explore your community mass transit system, and check out options for carpooling to work or school.

When you do drive, make sure your car is running efficiently. For example, keeping your tires properly inflated can improve your gas mileage by more than 3 percent. Every gallon of gas you save not only helps your budget, it also keeps 20 pounds of carbon dioxide out of the atmosphere.

5. Buy Energy-Efficient Products
When it's time to buy a new car, choose one that offers good gas mileage. Home appliances now come in a range of energy-efficient models, and compact florescent bulbs are designed to provide more natural-looking light while using far less energy than standard light bulbs.

Avoid products that come with excess packaging, especially molded plastic and other packaging that can't be recycled. If you reduce your household garbage by 10 percent, you can save 1,200 pounds of carbon dioxide annually.

6. Use Less Hot Water
Set your water heater at 120 degrees to save energy, and wrap it in an insulating blanket if it is more than 5 years old. Buy low-flow showerheads to save hot water and about 350 pounds of carbon dioxide yearly. Wash your clothes in warm or cold water to reduce your use of hot water and the energy required to produce it. That change alone can save at least 500 pounds of carbon dioxide annually in most households. Use the energy-saving settings on your dishwasher and let the dishes air-dry.

7. Use the "Off" Switch
Save electricity and reduce global warming by turning off lights when you leave a room, and using only as much light as you need. And remember to turn off your television, video player, stereo and computer when you're not using them.

It's also a good idea to turn off the water when you're not using it. While brushing your teeth, shampooing the dog or washing your car, turn off the water until you actually need it for rinsing. You'll reduce your water bill and help to conserve a vital resource.

8. Plant a Tree
If you have the means to plant a tree, start digging. During photosynthesis, trees and other plants absorb carbon dioxide and give off oxygen. They are an integral part of the natural atmospheric exchange cycle here on Earth, but there are too few of them to fully counter the increases in carbon dioxide caused by automobile traffic, manufacturing and other human activities. A single tree will absorb approximately one ton of carbon dioxide during its lifetime.

9. Get a Report Card from Your Utility Company
Many utility companies provide free home energy audits to help consumers identify areas in their homes that may not be energy efficient. In addition, many utility companies offer rebate programs to help pay for the cost of energy-efficient upgrades.

10. Encourage Others to Conserve
Share information about recycling and energy conservation with your friends, neighbors and co-workers, and take opportunities to encourage public officials to establish programs and policies that are good for the environment.

These 10 steps will take you a long way toward reducing your energy use and your monthly budget. And less energy use means less dependence on the fossil fuels that create greenhouse gases and contribute to global warming.

source: http://environment.about.com/
http://environment.about.com/od/globalwarming/a/ipcc_report.htm
http://environment.about.com/od/globalwarming/tp/globalwarmtips.htm

Last edited by Alfredo V. Ala-an on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Joseph Ethel Valdez

Joseph Ethel Valdez

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyFri Aug 28, 2009 12:40 pm

In recent years, the issue of the environment has risen to the fore of international concern as climate change, and in particular, global warming, have become the subjects of increasing scientific inquiry and debate. Although the veracity of these phenomena is still very much a point of contention in certain scientific circles, the problem is more appropriately located in socio-political and socio-economic frameworks that either fail, or refuse, to acknowledge the ramifications of human activity on the environment, and in so doing, impede the formation of comprehensive environmental strategies even as they obfuscate the need for concerted, responsible action.

Technology plays important roles in our life. It enables us to do our activities easier. Something that might be so difficult to do in the past can be done easily with the technology innovations. No want will argue that technology also give huge impact in educational field. With technology, teaching and learning activities can be more interesting and fun. It may also help the learners to get the lesson objectives faster than the manual and conventional way.

Almost all schools nowadays have been using computer and internet technology in their educational systems. It is used to deliver the information and knowledge to the learners. Further, it also gives fun education for the students. The audio and video functions in a computer easily engage the knowledge in each study lesson with the students' understanding of the lesson. The programs in a computer such as PowerPoint allow displaying animation features that can attract the students' interest in learning the subject matter.

Meanwhile, internet technology can be an effective tool in acquiring students' knowledge. With internet technology, the students are able to search any information that can be useful to add their comprehensive in the lesson. Technology is now regarded as a more effective tools rather than textbook. Since technology plays important roles in educational field, computer even becomes a school curriculum in some countries.

Advances in technology provide new tools for educators and students to be used in the learning process. It is also likely that some adult students may not be familiar with computers and information technology. In addition, they have not been in school for several years and therefore may not be used to studying. Consequently, adult students need advice and help in both using modern technology in studying, and in the studying itself.

Information technology (IT) has affected our life profoundly – one can work, do shopping and keep in touch with far-away relatives with an inexpensive personal computer. IT has had a major impact on education as well. Firstly, it has highlighted the importance of continuous IT education that makes it possible to use changing technology. Secondly, IT has introduced new tools for educators and students to be used in the learning process. Thirdly, there has been an explosion in teaching and learning with new technology. The pace of technological change continues as ever smaller, portable computers are being introduced that make it possible to connect anywhere and anytime. However, it can be argued whether technology is being utilized so that it facilitates learning in the best possible way.

As an information technology student, I chose to promote a meta-learning environment because today students need to be skilled computer users and able to deal with different types of media in order to study effectively. However, technical expertise alone is not enough – one must know what to study, where to find information, what to do next etc. Therefore special attention is needed to orientate students to use technology so that they learn to study in a modern learning environment.

What is Meta-learning Environment?

A meta-learning environment is defined as a platform for studying and it should integrate technology and resources so that they empower the learning process. In this article we look at the development of a learning environment using the meta-learning environment approach. The theoretical contribution is in the recognition of key dimensions of the meta-learning environment. They provide a promising framework for developing learning environments in the digital age.

Towards a learning environment

Technology can be utilized in education in several ways. This continuum starts from information delivery and ends with cognitive tools (Reeves, & Laffey, 1999). Information delivery means that technology is used primarily to access and deliver information that is categorized and stored into digital format. For example, a library system may be considered as an information delivery system. Cognitive tools refer to adaptive technology or systems that are developed to support and improve the learning process (Jonassen, Reeves, Hong, Harvey, & Peters, 1997). However, the difference between information delivery oriented systems and cognitive tools is not very clear. For example, Reeves (1996) claims that the World Wide Web (WWW) is a cognitive tool because it focuses on creating knowledge and should therefore not be considered as an information delivery system alone. Both information delivery systems and cognitive tools are part of the learning environment and the learning process.

The difference between concepts learning environment and learning process is the same as with words teaching, studying and learning (Tella, Vahtivuori, Vuorento, Wager, & Oksanen, 2001). The learning environment is defined as a place to study, an environment for the learning process (Vivet, 1996). Today many learning environments take advantage of information technology and are built to a WWW-format or they connect to the Internet using a WWW-interface. As a result, a single computer connected to the Internet and running a WWW-browser can be used for ubiquitous access.

It is clear that the learning material must be organized within a meaningful structure (McGee, & Howard, 1998). In modern, computer-based learning environments the navigational logic relies on links that bind information together so that it makes sense. This navigational support is also called logistics (Neumann, Krzyzaniak, & Lassen, 2001). Ideally, the logistics system recognizes the user and delivers only the content that the user needs. The logistics system of a computer-based learning environment may also be seen as an intelligent agent or tutoring system (Prentzas, Hatzilygeroudis, Koutsojannis, & Rigou, 2001) and in a broader sense it is a human interface to the system (Raskin, 2000). Therefore, the usefulness of the modern learning environment depends on the navigational logic and the interface to the system.

The greatest challenge in learning environments is to adapt the computer-based system to differently skilled learners . If the environment is too complex the user will be lost, confused or frustrated. On the other hand, too simple or non-systematic environments can cause motivational problems. Technology and the learning environment should adapt to different user skills and learning strategies, not vice versa. Therefore the focus in adaptation should be on how the user manages technology that is constantly changing and requires the user to learn new technical skills in order to work with technology.

Next page Arrow Arrow Arrow

Last edited by Joseph Ethel Valdez on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jevelyn Labor

Jevelyn Labor

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySat Aug 29, 2009 1:43 pm

Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) 989345qx60xkn4j2Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) 989345qx60xkn4j2Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) 989345qx60xkn4j2Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) 989345qx60xkn4j2

Before answering these three questions, I will first define the meaning of information environment for me. For me, information environment is an environment that gives information haha. My definition sounds dumb but that's how I understand it. Hmmm. So I asked google about information environment. And yeah, as usual, millions of defintions were displayed haha. Some of them are the aggregate of individuals, organizations, or systems that collect, process, or disseminate information; also included is the information itself, this Information Environment must be fit to serve the needs of students, teachers and researchers in further and higher education into the future. The Information Environment described here is a component of the national and global networked environment.The Information Environment is clearly key to the goals of achieving an interoperable distributed national electronic resource. There is now a critical mass of digital information resources that can be used to support researchers, learners, teachers and administrators in their work and study. The production of information is on the increase and ways to deal with this effectively are required. There is the need to ensure that quality information isn’t lost amongst the masses of digital data created everyday. If we can continue to improve the management, interrogation and serving of ‘quality’ information there is huge potential to enhance knowledge creation across learning and research communities. The aim of the Information Environment is to help provide convenient access to resources for research and learning through the use of resource discovery and resource management tools and the development of better services and practice. The Information Environment aims to allow discovery, access and use of resources for research and learning irrespective of their location.

The first information environment that came to my mind are blogs and sites with complete information about the latest trends in our generation. Blogs are a great way to communicate about project developments or interesting issues, debates and problems that arise during the course of the project. This not only helps with project dissemination but acts as a project journal which makes the process of preparing formal reports about the project much simpler as deliverables and issues have already been written about and can be copied into the formal report.

What should be my role within this environment? As a student it a big advantage to have a blog because it allows aggregation across individual blogs via sites like Technorati and also enables subject specific RSS feeds from within a blog. So, for example, it would be easy to see all the blog posts from a project on the topic of software development. How can the principles of information organization and representation help me in performing this role? The principles running through this environment are a space for focused sharing : One of my key motivations for starting this blog was to provide a space to share reflections, resources and content that I come across or create in the course of my work. The aim is not, however, for it to be a brain dump, or a virtual equivalent of that pile of papers and articles on my desk that I thought someone-or-other would be really interested in. The aim is for shared content that supports thinking and action in relation to social justice and young people's empowerment. I'll be seeking to make sure that, where I have relevant information, resources or reflections that could be useful to the audience of this blog, I take the time to post these in an accessible and useful way. Second is not too much on technology : It's very easy in the blogging world to write about technology and social media in particular (I suppose many writers write about writing a lot, so it seems relatively natural). However, this isn't a space for me to reflect on the latest and greatest new technologies I've just come across unless those technologies link to the youth participation and social change elements of this blog. Third is seeking solutions not problems : I approach the world with a very 'problem-solving' approach. I'm always looking for constructive solutions. However, the key to problem-solving is understanding the problem. That can mean that quite a bit of a blog post is taken up explaining problems – things that are wrong and need fixing. I'll be seeking to ensure that the emphasis in these posts in on exploring solutions and positive change – and I'll working to escape the temptation to spend all my words ranting about problems. Fourth is recommending and reflecting : At times, I recognize that solutions are not easily in reach, and what is needed is not a recommended recipe for resolution, but open reflection on possible ways to respond to a problem or challenge (whether with action or not). I'll be seeking to have a balance of reflective posts that leave threads and ideas hanging, awaiting more thought – and other posts that seek to weave threads of thought together into something more of a solid thought process that leads to take-away-product of some form.

Fifth is engaging in conversation : This blog is not one-way publishing. I don't want to just stick content online and leave it there. So I'll be seeking to make sure I use this as a space both for hosting conversation, and for responding to conversations elsewhere in the blogosphere and beyond. Sixth is a personal blog : This is a personal blog. I have a relatively introverted personality. However, as these posts are shaped by my thinking and interests, I need to be transparent about these and to avoid the comfort of anonymous abstract writing in favor of an honest and open style. I'll be seeking to strike a balance between relating everything to some personal story, and being clear that as the writer, I am part of the posts I write and shouldn't edit myself out of them.

The challenges in blogging is first you would think what you should blog. For the beginners it’s the very first question that arises in their mind. Well the answer is straight forward. Think of blogging on only those areas or niches where you have lots of interest so that you can write loads and loads of nonstop content. Because as you know content is the king and it still holds good even today. Never try to steal content from any other place on the web. Plagiarism is not acceptable in blogging. Second is, how often should I blog. Well that’s another major area which some bloggers tend to neglect. You can not simply start a blog and do a few posts and then stop. Your readers also forget your blog soon after that. So you need to post regularly some unique, fresh and interesting content on your blog to keep your readers interested. The frequency may differ from blogs to blogs and niche specific too. For example news blogs need to update content on their blogs very often than any technology blog. Prepare your posts in advance and after that you can post as when you need them. Third is, most don’t receive a lot of traffic: The next big question on the minds of any blogger. Well you need audience for your blogs. And getting them is never an easy job with thousands of blogs being created every other day. Start building traffic to your blogs by link exchanges, directory submission etc. You can also try out social networking and bookmarking sites likes stumble upon, digg, reddit, propeller, myspace, face book etc to build targeted traffic to your blog. They are really very useful sources to generate traffic. But the most important is traffic from search engines called organic traffic. It is tough initially as there is heavy competition among all the bloggers to appear on the front page of search engines. You can try out Google adwords not advertise your site. You need to be very serious with this. Once your blog gets popular and as time passes by you can expect loads of traffic to your site. Fourth is, how do I monetize my blog.Many people start blogging to monetize them and earn from them. But that is not possible over night. First your blog needs to get popular and generate regular traffic. Only then you can think of monetizing your blog. There are many options like Google adsense, bidvertiser, Kontera ads, link selling, paid reviews, affiliate marketing etc which can be used on your blogs. Have a reasonable target in your mind, so that you don’t get upset later on. There are bloggers who make their living through blogs and blogging. Even you can too.Finally sometimes you might you might not find enough time to blog. So you can plan things in advance and have some sort of back in place. It will avoid disappointing your regular readers of your blog. You can even think of outsourcing the content writing work to someone and get the job done by paying them. It might look a bit costly but is a good way of keeping your blog up when you don’t have sufficient time to take care of your blog. You can also constantly the look and feel of your blog to suit the contents of your blog keeping the readers interest in your mind. So we feel by following these techniques you can avoid some challenges that you might be facing while blogging.

REFERENCES:

http://www.answers.com/topic/information-environment
http://www.dlib.org/dlib/july96/new/07smith.htmlhttp://infteam.jiscinvolve.org/

Last edited by Jevelyn Labor on Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.tipukling3.blogspot.com
florenzie_palma

florenzie_palma

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 12:39 am

Sleep pig clown Working out...
Back to top Go down
florenzie_palma

florenzie_palma

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 12:40 am

confused alien Like a Star @ heaven hehehhe.... surely2 na lang.. aow... sunny sunny pis!! flower
Back to top Go down
florenzie_palma

florenzie_palma

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 12:42 am

Embarassed Shocked Arrow shusa na lang... winona na bunan!!
Back to top Go down
Chris Romarate

PostSubject: Assignment 9   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 7:54 pm

still making
Back to top Go down
neil rey c. niere

neil rey c. niere

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:08 am

(1st post)

Introduction

Information technology (IT) has affected our life profoundly – one can work, do shopping and keep in touch with far-away relatives with an inexpensive personal computer. IT has had a major impact on education as well. Firstly,
it has highlighted the importance of continuous IT education that makes it possible to use changing technology. Secondly, IT has introduced new tools for educators and students to be used in the learning process. Thirdly, there
has been an explosion in teaching and learning with new technology. The pace of technological change continues as ever smaller, portable computers are being introduced that make it possible to connect anywhere and anytime. However, it can be argued whether technology is being utilized so that it facilitates learning in the best possible way.
Here we look at the role of information technology in education and continue discussion with a modern learning environment, here called a meta-learning environment. A meta-learning environment is defined as a platform for studying and it should integrate technology into the learning process.The focus of this article is on adult education and distance learning. In this setting mastering the technology and the "media mix" are challenges for all involved in the learning process. Technology can be utilized in education in several ways. This continuum starts
from information delivery and ends with cognitive tools. Information delivery means that technology is used primarily to
access and deliver information that is categorized and stored into digital format. For example, a library system may be considered as an information delivery system. Cognitive tools refer to adaptive technology or systems that are developed to support and improve the learning process . However, the difference between information delivery oriented systems and cognitive tools is not very clear.

For example, Reeves claims that the World Wide Web (WWW) is a cognitive tool because it focuses on creating
knowledge and should therefore not be considered as an information delivery system alone. Both information delivery systems and cognitive tools are part of the learning environment and the learning process. The difference between concepts learning environment and learning process is the same as with words teaching, studying and learning. The learning environment is defined as a place to study, an environment for the learning process.Today many learning environments take advantage of information technology and are built to a WWW-format or they connect to the Internet using a WWW-interface. As a result, a single computer connected to the Internet and running a WWW-browser can be used for ubiquitous access. It is clear that the learning material must be organized within a meaningful structure.

In modern, computer-based learning environments the navigational logic relies on links that bind information together so that it makes sense. This navigational support is also called logistics . Ideally, the logistics system recognizes
the user and delivers only the content that the user needs. The logistics system of a computer-based learning environment may also be seen as an intelligent agent or tutoring system and in a broader sense
it is a human interface to the system. Therefore, the usefulness of the modern learning environment depends
on the navigational logic and the interface to the system. Advances in technology provide new tools for educators and students to be used in the learning process. Today students need to be skilled computer users and able to deal with different types of media in order to study effectively. However, technical expertise alone is not enough – one must know what to study, where to find information, what to do next etc. Therefore special attention is needed to orientate students to use technology so that they learn to study in a modern learning environment.
In this study the focus is on adult students. It is also likely that some adult students may not be familiar with computers and information technology. In addition, they have not been in school for several years and therefore may
not be used to studying. Consequently, adult students need advice and help in both using modern technology in studying, and in the studying itself. Here we argue that a meta-learning environment can help students in the learning
process. A meta-learning environment is defined as a platform for studying and it should integrate technology and resources so that they empower the learning process. In this article we look at the development of a learning environment using the meta-learning environment approach. The theoretical contribution is in the recognition of key dimensions of the meta-learning environment. They provide a promising framework for developing learning environments in the digital age.

What is Meta-Learning?
Definition:
Metalearning in education Originally described by Donald B. Maudsley as "the process by which learners become aware of and increasingly in control of habits of perception, inquiry, learning, and growth that they have internalized". Maudsely sets the conceptual basis of his theory as synthesized under headings of assumptions, structures,change process, and facilitation. Five principles were enunciated to facilitate meta-learning. Learners must: (a) have a theory, however primitive; (b) work in a safe supportive social and physical environment; (c) discover their rules
and assumptions; (d) reconnect with reality-information from the environment; and (e) reorganize themselves by changing their rules/assumptions.

The idea of metalearning was later used by John Biggs to describe the state of ‘being aware of and taking control of one’s own learning’. You can define metalearning as an awareness and understanding of the phenomenon of learning itself as opposed to subject knowledge. Implicit in this definition is the learner’s perception of the learning context, which includes knowing what the expectations of the discipline are and, more narrowly, the demands of a given learning task. Within this context, metalearning depends on the learner’s conceptions of learning, epistemological beliefs, learning processes and academic skills, summarized here as a learning approach. A student who has a high level of metalearning awareness is able to assess the effectiveness of her/his learning approach and regulate it
according to the demands of the learning task. Conversely, a student who is low in metalearning awareness will not be able to reflect on her/his learning approach or the nature of the learning task set. In consequence, s/he will be unable to adapt successfully when studying becomes more difficult and demanding.

Meta learning is the dynamic process whereby a system manages to dissolve limiting dynamics such as point attractors and limit cycles that impede effective action and evolve liberating and creative dynamics represented by complex attractors whose trajectories in phase space, by never repeating themselves, can portray creative and innovative processes.These trajectories have a fractal nature, hence their complex order in which highly creative processes are possible. High performance teams are able to "meta learn" and this differentiates them from the
inability of low performance teams to transcend their limiting behaviors that impede innovation and creativity (Losada, 1999; Losada & Heaphy, 2004; Fredrickson & Losada, 2005).

The meta learning model was derived from thousands of time series data generated at two human interaction laboratories in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and Cambridge, Massachusetts. These time series portrayed the
interaction dynamics of business teams doing typical business tasks such as strategic planning. These teams were classified into three performing categories: high, medium and low. Performance was evaluated by the profitability of the teams, the level of satisfaction of their clients, and 360-degree evaluations. The meta learning model comprises three state variables and one control parameter. The control parameter is connectivity and reflects the level of attunement and responsiveness that team members have to one another. The three state variables are inquiry-advocacy,
positivity-negativity, and other-self external-internal focus. The state variables are linked by a set of nonlinear differential equations Losada, 1999; Fredrickson & Losada, 2005; for a graphical representation of the meta learning model see Losada & Heaphy, 2004. When connectiviy is low, there is preponderance of advocacy and self orientation and more negativity than positivity. When connectivity is high there is a dynamical equilibrium between inquiry and advocacy as well as internal and external focus and the ratio of positivity-to-negativity is at least 2.9. This ratio is known as the, because it separates high from low performance teams as well as flourishing from languisning in individuals and relationships; Waugh & Fredrickson, 2006; Fredrickson, 2009.

Last edited by neil rey c. niere on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
neil rey c. niere

neil rey c. niere

PostSubject: Assignment 9   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 6:08 am

wala'y delete..
lol!

Last edited by neil rey c. niere on Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
carla comoda

carla comoda

PostSubject: Assignment 9   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Sep 03, 2009 2:39 pm

Identify an information
environment of your choice and write an essay to address the following
questions: (3000 words)

The natural environment, commonly referred to simply as the environment, is a
term that encompasses all living and non-living things occurring naturally on
Earth or some region thereof.

The concept of the natural environment can be distinguished by components:

* Complete ecological units that function as natural systems without massive
human intervention, including all vegetation, animals, microorganisms, soil,
rocks, atmosphere and natural phenomena that occur within their boundaries.

* Universal natural resources and physical phenomena that lack clear-cut
boundaries, such as air, water, and climate, as well as energy, radiation,
electric charge, and magnetism, not originating from human activity.

The role of environment in sustainable development and its relation with
development management

the desired object of national development and environment protection is nothing
but improvement of the homeland in order to prepare appropriate environmental
conditions for the flourishing of the intellectual and material potentials of
the society.

It is obvious that there is a possibility for the appearance of environmental
problems in the course of the developmental process.

Therefore, it has become necessary to employ engineering sciences for
environment protection and to decrease the reverse effects of the civil and
developmental projects on the environment to the minimum possible levels.

When the development plan aims at preparation of an appropriate basis for the
boom of the potential talent and capability of the society, and the increase of
the life quality on a national level, the process of making an environment plan
can be defined as the design of a suitable strategy for promotion of living
standards on a national level, relying on the national intellectual and capital
resources, with little reliance on non-native facilities.
Through this paper the factor “Environment” and its role in Sustainable
Development and its relation with Development Management and Planning has been
studied, with due consideration of the aspects concerned.

-First you need to understand that if you are not
actively helping to conserve the environment in some way then the environment
will continue to degrade.
We as human
beings have grown accustomed to using up nonrenewable resources. I feel the
role of humans is to first acknowledge our mistakes and then go about changing
our behavior. This means trying to
recycle, use renewable energy, not littering, using public transportation,
buying products from green companies so that economically it is more profitable
to conserve than waste, calling our congressman, etc. In short we must accept
that we are wrong in thinking that it is someone else's problem.
Look
up on the inter net how you can help and do it. Make good habits in
conservation, learn all you can and share with others what you have learned. You and I are the problem and unless we
change, our environment could reach a critical threshold that takes
thousands of years to fix.

How can the principles of information organization and representation help you in performing this role?
==Principles for creating good information representation== -
propose principles for good representation of information applicable to six
categories of communication: speeches, written texts, presentations, Web pages,
movies/videos, and source programs. For each of these categories, many tips
have been proposed for creating good information representation. The meaning of
good information representation can be interpreted in two ways: as attractive
or impressive, and effective in conveying facts and opinions. Although these
two ways cannot be said to be independent of each other, I focus here only the
latter. The need to establish explicit principles for good information
representation is urgent, because information must be transmitted accurately
(without loss of fidelity). Bad information representation is proliferating at
a rapid pace because of the Internet. information representation.

The condition of the environment is a worldwide issue. Air and water pollution do
not recognize borders; poor soil conditions in one nation may reduce another
country’s food supply. At the same time, different regions do face different
problems. One key distinction is between the environmental threats faced by
developed nations, such as the United
States and western European countries, and
developing nations. Most agree that these nations may have dissimilar crises,
but debate remains over whether the solutions to their problems are unique as well.

The environmental problems faced by
developed nations are largely the result of economic strength and higher
standards of living
. Because of us human our environment facing a
challenge like a calamity so therefore there are ways in conserving and save the
environment.

The environmental crises faced by developing nations are the result of poverty. For example, Third
World countries often lack the resources and sanitation facilities
to provide the public with clean water. Tropical deforestation, caused by the
slash-and-burn techniques of poor farmers, is another dilemma. However, as Rice University
president Malcolm Gillis has observed, agriculture is not the only
manifestation of the effects of poverty on deforestation. In most, but not all,
poor nations, the role of poverty in deforestation is magnified by the
ever-more-desperate search for fuelwood by impoverished people.” This search
for wood is exacerbated by the key environmental problem in developing
nations—overpopulation. Third World nations may consume vastly less than America and Europe
but their population growth rates are much higher. These nations lack the
natural resources and social services that will be needed in order to provide
their burgeoning populations with adequate food, shelter, and employment in the
coming years. As developing nations move closer to First
World status, the accompanying growth in industry could also
affect the environment, especially through the emission of greenhouse gases.
The global warming agreement reached in Kyoto, Japan, in
December
1997 exempted developing nations such as China,
India, and Mexico from
requirements to reduce their emissions. But according to the United Nations,
countries exempted from the agreement will create 76 percent of total
greenhouse gas emissions over the next 50 years.

 Clean or replace air filters on your air
conditioning unit at least once a month.

 If you have central air
conditioning, do not close vents in unused rooms.

 Lower the thermostat on
your water heater to 120.

 Wrap your water heater in
an insulated blanket.

 Turn down or shut off your
water heater when you will be away for extended periods.

 Turn off unneeded lights
even when leaving a room for a short time.

 Set your refrigerator
temperature at 36 to 38 and your freezer at 0 to 5 .

 when using an oven,
minimize door opening while it is in use; it reduces oven temperature by 25 to
30 every time you open the door.

 Clean the lint filter inyour dryer after every load so that it uses less energy.

 Unplug seldom used
appliances.

==Here’s an idea of what our activities look like on the ground:==

• We educate farmers on sustainable farming methods such as rotating crops for soil fertility and re-cropping rather than clearing forest to make new fields
  • We promote the use of fuel-efficient stoves that reduce the need for fuel wood by two-thirds and are made from local materials – saving time, money and trees
  • We organize micro-credit programs that allow villagers – especially women – to obtain capital for small business ventures by pooling their own money seeded by JGI funds. The payback rate is impressive – over 85 percent.
  • We work with villages to improve health through training and infrastructure development, including spring protection, shallow and bore wells, and ventilated improved pit latrines
  • We place a special emphasis on girls’ education, providing scholarships that have help girls
    in Tanzania complete secondary school and beyond.

Reference:
http://library.witpress.com/pages/PaperInfo.asp?PaperID=15544[/f[font=Arial] http://www2.computer.org/portal/web/csdl/doi/10.1109/IPCC.2009.5208725
http://www.enotes.com/conserving-environment-article
http://www.seql.org/100ways.cfm

Last edited by april kaye bigonte on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://quinkaye.blogspot.com
Joseph Ethel Valdez

Joseph Ethel Valdez

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyFri Sep 04, 2009 3:44 pm

Continuation on Page 1Arrow Arrow

The need for a meta-learning environment
Why learning support

Generally, the role of learning support is important (Bailey, Brown, & Kelly, 1997). Students must be able to get an answer to questions like "what should I do next?" and "do I have to take this course?". The advice is precious at the beginning of the student life, but guidance is needed also later during the studies. Each course raises questions before, during and after the course, and they all need to be answered. Telling students "what" and "why" is important as student's performance can be improved by guidance (Conway, & Kahney, 1987).

Advice and guidance are important in studying, whatever the technology is and whether students are in the faculty or at distance. As Twigg (1994) argues, we must take into consideration the recent changes that have occurred in what students need to learn, when they learn, how they learn, where they can learn, and what students can access while they learn.

In traditional, paper- and lecture-based education study guides had an important role in providing advice and guidance. However, study guides may not be enough in the digital age. Knowing what courses to select and why is still important in studying, but students must also cope with technology and digital media. In addition, students need to develop new studying habits in order to learn effectively. As a result, managing the learning environment becomes increasingly important.

However, what if the student is inexperienced with computers? Most young people are skilled computer users, but there are many adult people who have little experience with information technology. When these people get interested in studying further, the inexperience with computers can suddenly become a serious barrier for learning. As a result, adult students may feel uncomfortable with the technology that is used in education.

There is only one solution to this problem: the student must learn to use information technology, as studying requires skills in using technology and media. The need for assistance and support in using technology is most important in the beginning of studies. Therefore it is important to create an environment which helps students to "learn how to learn" effectively (Sumner, & Taylor, 1998, 64).

Dimensions of a meta-learning environment

Meta-learning environments have two main functions (Sumner, & Taylor, 1998; Scott, & Phillips, 1998). Firstly, they help in learning to use traditional and digital media in learning. A meta-learning environment should make it possible to access different kinds of digital content, but act as a guide to utilization of paper-based material as well. Secondly, a meta-learning environment can provide information on the courses and studies. The environment should present the structure of the course so that the student knows what exercises etc. are coming next. However, a meta-learning environment can be more than a study guide in computer format. It can describe the relationship between different media, methods and goals in each course. This is important because students should have general understanding of learning tools, methods and media that will be used during a course. Furthermore, students need specific support in bridging various activities to the goals of the course. In order to utilize the environment effectively students need to be skilled enough to use information technology as a tool in learning. Many younger students are familiar with computers and information technology, but for adult students computers, file formats, login procedures etc. can become a real barrier to studying. Even among students with "similar" background there are significant differences in technology skills and study methods. As a result, special attention is needed at the start of study and each course; otherwise results can be poor if the students do not know how to use the available tools and resources in studying. Often personal hands-on advice and tutoring is needed so that the student learns to effectively use technology in studying.

In a traditional classroom education these requirements are typically addressed well by teachers and other students (Taylor, Sumner, & Law, 1997). In modern learning environments this is a challenge. Whereas the overall resources can be made explicit by displaying the structure of the course in detail, hands-on support is a more complicated issue. For example, in distance learning advice and tutoring are limited to the tools that the student is using, and these are often the ones that students have problems with.

The Meta-learning environment should also establish and maintain new study habits and ways of working (Sumner, & Taylor, 1998; Scott, & Phillips, 1998). Once the methods of studying in the modern learning environment have been learned they should be maintained. If the students notice that they pass exercises and exams without seriously utilizing the tools and resources that would be available, they might just make the minimal effort – and not use the full potential of the learning environment. Therefore the courses and exercises should be planned so that students need to get involved personally.

For example, in doing exercises there might be several interactions with the system - exercises could be split into parts - and checkpoints in order to prevent the student from copying answers to exercises from others.

Other key dimensions in meta-learning environments are (Sumner, & Taylor, 1998; Scott, & Phillips, 1998)
• Ease of use.
• Reliability and confidence building.
• Possibility to modify and add material.
• Tailoring the system to fit individual preferences.
• Feedback and increasing motivation to study.

The meta-learning environment can integrate various tools, resources and media into a common workplace. This would make it possible to easily locate, access and combine information from several sources. The learning environment should also be easy to understand and use without cumbersome procedures. Both students and teachers should find it easy to navigate and find information in the learning environment.

Confidence is a critical issue in learning. Therefore, the learning environment should be reliable and robust. The system needs to function smoothly without interruptions, otherwise confidence is rapidly lost. Consequently the IT infrastructure is the cornerstone of the operations.
Adding and modifying material should be straightforward. It should be possible to add new material, and modify existing content in the meta-learning environment. Modifications need to be easy enough so that both students and teachers can submit and share ideas, concerns and questions. The modifications should be possible without deep technical expertise or help from the IT-department.

The environment should also be customizable to fit personal preferences. Typically, students have different learning styles: Some learn fast and advance rapidly while others prefer to learn at a slower pace and repeat. In addition, some like working alone whereas others prefer to working in groups. There are also differences in using help or feedback that might be available. Information technology allows customization of the learner's learning experience and makes it possible to accommodate different learning styles (Albright, 1999; Wild, & Quinn, 1998).

Motivation is an critical issue in computer based learning environments – and a driving force in the learning process. Feedback can increase motivation and confidence, and it is considered essential for effective learning process (Rowntree, 1992). Feedback gives also student a realistic view of skills and knowledge (Scott, & Phillips, 1998). In classroom-based education feedback can happen face-to-face, and range from one-to-one conversation to a group discussion. However, in "virtual" learning there is often a lack of immediate feedback as lecturers and students do not necessarily meet very often. Feedback can also be constrained by the media and technology that is used. It is often typical that there is lack of immediate feedback. Information technology is ideal for providing timely and individualized feedback to students. Even though the richness of face-to-face discussion may not be achieved, technology can be used in ways that give rapid feedback to the student. For example, when the student sends an exercise the system could send an automatic acknowledgement. A meta-learning environment makes it also possible to monitor the students' learning process and to identify different styles of information access, communication and learning styles resulting from using new media for education.

Indeed, the importance of science and technology in education cannot be stressed enough. The introduction of technology in the educational field has made the process of learning and knowledge sharing, an interactive and fun-filled activity. Technology is indeed one of God’s greatest gifts to mankind.

References:
http://www.eurodl.org/materials/contrib/2006/Seppo_Sirkemaa.htm
http://duniasoer.blogspot.com/2009/02/impact-of-technology-in-education.html
http://synenergy.teipir.gr/papers/VII_3.pdf

my BLog:http://jevaldez.blogspot.com/ Arrow Arrow

Last edited by Joseph Ethel Valdez on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
charmaine_dayanan

charmaine_dayanan

PostSubject: information environment... [PART 1] - A REVISION   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 7:04 pm

To those who happened to read my reply I posted previously here in the same thread... I'm changing my answer. It was a sort of enlightenment that I amended my more-or-less-700-words essay...so pls care to read this new idea that I'm sharing to you...

I did a shorter reaction about this topic before, and admittedly, the previous stand is dissimilar from what I am stating now. When ‘information environment’ first came to mind, I thought it would be like a spot where information is at its height. Or merely just a place where ‘information exchange’ happens – so I thought of more general environments like schools, government and the like. I am not saying these are incorrect, but the threads of previous posts (in other forum discussions) made me think the other way around. It made me think of other more specific spot where I should focus my discussion on – so I’m changing my stand. (^_^)

An information environment could be anywhere. As long as it is a place or set of networks and services that support publishing and use of information and learning resources. There are lots of ‘information environments’ we can find nowadays especially that development of innovations are moving fast brought by modern technology. People who are using and manipulating information also seemed to be in a hurry to communicate. And so to keep pace of the fast evolving changes we have in the world today, I chose to be in part of an atmosphere where I can have the opportunity to communicate and spread the information with the use of technology.

I know my field is related to information technology. And as a student I am aware that learning is a lifelong process. That is why information is abounding – never stops and never ends. As an IT student, I’ve had panoramas of several companies’ information systems. I have learned how information could be very crucial in a workplace and even at home. And I have also seen localities and circumstances where there is scarcity or outdated information. I know many of us are relying heavily on basic information exchange and getting just a bit of it at a time is not enough in this rapid competent world.
Having the idea how the fast-evolving technology affects our day-to-day process of communication and way of life, I choose to be someone who logs in to the internet and various network resources, surf what’s new and what’s the latest, research the millions of alternative ideas and means of many things, and bring the latest trend of information to everyone. So I choose to be a content writer or an online researcher of an organization’s IS department or learning resource center.

The information system is the heart of the company. It is where all the data are being processed and can be used for the successful implementations of the vital functions of the company business. The information system is an essential element in a company in the sense that it holds documents and raw files that needs to be handled and managed. And since technology (hardware and software) components could bring information to everyone in the most convenient way as it could be, an information system would never exist without the critical resources of the organization – the human resources. Certainly, the workforce is the engine of the IS. An IT personnel could either make or unmake a company. Much of the processes would rely on the operator side since the manipulation and the instructions are done on the part of the peopleware.

Another thing which triggered me of identifying my real function within an information environment is the recent calamity brought by typhoon Ondoy in the Philippines (for further information about the story of the calamity effects on various areas in the Philippines pls see http://www.typhoonondoy.org/). It was really pitiful to see many people, young and old, women and children, lost their homes and properties because of the long hours of downpour causing flood to rise on a very high level drowning almost all parts of the National Capital Region. One could see the worries and pains of every faces that even not in the area of tragedy, is being reflected brought by alarming news in all news broadcasts. I have only happened to be informed of the situation in school several moments after the event actually began – or I do not even know what and how it exactly started. As we all know the weather is unpredictable. If there were any forecasts of strong typhoon and heavy downpour I was not able to hear it during the last few days because of so many preoccupations in school projects. I only knew it was raining in Luzon, but the weather’s been fair and friendly here in Davao. But mind you, I thought it was just any other normal typhoon news airing in televisions and radio stations. But when I happened to see video coverage and saw the effects brought by the calamity I can only say that I missed so much of the news.

I wondered how it came to be that horrible – the effect of the strong typhoon. What I mean is that, it seemed to me that thousands of people weren’t able to prepare – in physical, emotional, financial aspects. Or was I not so sure that the water level really raised that high in just a couple of hours. Now I could think of how the unpredictability of the weather could barely affect the rate of information communication of warning to the people and areas that may be affected.

I also believed that timely information could do much to any circumstance. It is said that prevention is better than cure. In the typhoon Ondoy’s case, the Philippine Atmospheric, Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (PAG-ASA) has so much to play in that its role is to be the primary unit of government tasked to provide protection to life and property against natural hazards through various applications of meteorology, geophysics and space sciences (http://www.pagasa.dost.gov.ph/). They are the leading institute to observe weather forecasts and check to see if incoming tropical storms are coming to our country’s area of responsibility.

I could barely think of an efficient way to prevent further damage of weather changes except reliable and up to date information being brought out to every other division in the community especially to the probable areas that may be affected. I might not be able to give a good assessment about it but I believe that the PAG-ASA’s information system (hardware, software, peopleware) plays a very big part on this. During this time of disaster I realized the importance of timely and accurate information and the reliability of resources. Now I feel that I wanted to be a part of the weather bureau (like Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration), which specializes in monitoring, analyzes, forecasting and warning of tropical weather systems such as typhoons, monsoons, Intertropical Convergence Zones (ITCZ). My field is not related to seismology or meteorology but I believe that with my learning in information technology could be a help in the information system inside the center.

There are several ways in which I could think of ways of how I should play my role in the weather bureau. Perhaps I could be of help to the research and documentation group having some skills in organizing files and keeping records. THAT is a part of my vision of being a part of the agency in the future. Right now, as a citizen of the country and a recipient also of the information being imparted by the agency, my role should be a responsible resident of my country abiding to the rules and regulations of the bureau and the government as well. And as a citizen I have to pay attention to the weather forecasts, analysis and warnings of the bureau because they are tasked to do that for the good of everyone including me. But if given the chance to be a part of the weather agency (as in, I will have the opportunity to work there), I may use my knowledge in IT to help in the consulting functions of the agency. I will be able to help in analyzing and suggesting some ideas in planning for the implementations of the information system and some improvements in IS components. Regarding as to my role as a researcher or information keeper, I may keep track of data and generate reports necessary for the essential information on weather forecasts, warnings, and analysis. Just for example, in typhoons, updates in tropical cyclones (e.g. location of center, strength, coordinates, movement, positions or outlooks) so to yield advisories that will be delivered to all people and areas to be affected through media communications.

So how can the principles of information organization and representation help me in performing my role?

I have read about some statements made by Dagobert Soergel in his Information Organization of Berkshire Encyclopedia of Human-Computer Interaction July 2004 (http://www.dsoergel.com/NewPublications/HCIEncyclopediaInfoOrg8For670.pdf) and found some principles applied in library and information sciences. Using his example of data on foods, he introduced the entity-relationship approach as the basis for all information organization; database organization; templates for the internal organization of documents; cataloging and metadata; and knowledge organization systems.

The entity-relationship (E-R) approach is familiar to me because we discuss it in our course subjects. Having the idea of it made it easier for me to evaluate its effect on information organization. Since information organization depends on object characteristics, entities are connected through relationships. An E-R could present a conceptual schema for data gathered in the weather bureau which is the basis for several approach to storing and presenting data and for organizing a database for access and processing. I have tried making some E-R diagrams and I could see it offered help in information organization.

Database organization is also a big help. In organizing data inside the weather center, the storage and retrieval of data (especially the digital ones) would be more convenient if database organization is present.

Templates for internal organization of documents, perhaps is one important application to the operations of the weather agency. As we all took notice of, the weather forecasts and warnings consists of satellite coverage, snapshots, etc and it would be difficult if those data do not follow a standard format or outline in information representation.

Weather forecasts and climate warnings should be kept in archives for future references. Thus there is a great need for cataloging and metadata for information organization. As we all know, histories of weather and climate changes are being recalled even if there were years of interval in between. These data are crucial for monitoring and analysis that may be useful in the future.

Knowledge organization systems (KOS) will aid the record keepers and database administrators in arranging data which requires classifications. As we all know, the PAG-ASA consists of several divisions or branches specializing on various activities covered by the bureau’s area of responsibility.

I have also read other references of principles which may have diverse points (but similar idea) of information organization. Regarding the principle that knowledge needs to be organized for communities, this would be a key principle that can be applied especially in this scenario. The role of the PAG-ASA is to monitor and analyze weather and climate to give advisories on possible areas and people that will be affected. Thus the knowledge about the forecasts needs to be arranged well so to give accurate and reliable information to everyone who will benefit it. The second principle which is designing tools to support the organization of knowledge also offers assistance in performing my role in my chosen information environment. In whatever information that I will be recording and processing, there should have various equipments and necessary tools that will be used for my job to be done well. Such are components of information system in the company and various resources that will be devised to provide systematization of information. The third major principle which is user-orientation could further give way to efficiency in performance. Naturally, any user of a certain system has to know the varying standards and procedures applicable to the system he or she is working with. This is synonymous to having training procedures and orientation of guidelines in work for the user to familiarize the operation of the system which may lead to a well-organized occupation.

And just like any other things, challenges and consequences are to be faced especially in performing this role. [continuation next thread]

Last edited by charmaine_dayanan on Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://charmainespeaksup.blogspot.com
charmaine_dayanan

charmaine_dayanan

PostSubject: information environment... [PART 2] - A REVISION   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 7:07 pm

[continuation from previous thread...]

The first thing I think would be lack of up-to-date knowledge about new technologies and applications that will be used in performing the crucial tasks of the bureau. If we may have all the skills and the workforce, there would be less performance satisfaction if the appropriate hardware and software components are not in their better routines. This is very vital in the sense that the PAG-ASA has to use every bit of technology they could get since they are dealing with unpredictable subjects like climate, tropical storms, winds, etc. and we all know that these entities are random variables from which humans have no control of. That is the hardest part of it. We simply can not stop any weather and we have no power over these things. We could only do some prevention strategies to lessen or alleviate the further effects of natural hazards on lives and properties. But these forecasts rely much on the kind of technology we have today. Other countries have hi-tech gadgets that are developed to detect the slightest movement of an typhoon for example and from the probability and statistics, monitor and analyze its capacity and damages.

A centralized communication is second on my list. Since I will be working as in the information system, it is therefore very essential for me that I send and receive information from my command center. It is important to have a centralized information center so to direct the communication and have an organized, one set of instructions for all sectors and co-divisions of the government. In times of natural calamities, the agencies involved are not just PAG-ASA but also groups concerning on highway clearings, social welfare, relief goods, communications, health, rescue units, and many more.

It is also essential that proper management inside the information system be implemented and carried out especially in critical times (e.g. actual times of calamities). Since the chain of command is crucial during these moments, it is therefore advisable for the human resources involved in the agency to have good if not better interactive relationships both with leader and subordinates. Information processing would not be possible if there is no good communication between the ones operating the databases.

Security and reliability of data is also a major concern. It should be bore in mind that all transactions and processes made inside the bureau are to be in its most consistent and safe status since these data that are processed into information will then be disseminated to another branches and divisions of the government and not only that, to other private sectors that need to be informed of the latest updates. Accurateness of data affects the efficiency of the information.

Financial concerns. Tsk. This aspect is something to keep in mind too. All of these challenges would not be addressed without exerting resources such as time, effort, and above all, money. I could say that in our status in the country, we may have those not so high tech gadgets that will be used in further weather forecasts and monitoring systems but we just have what we necessary devices and tools. Besides other concerns of the government takes big slices of the budget. However there is a significant need to prepare a big budget on upgrading hardware and software components since relevant data are gathered and acquired through these machines which may have the capability to help detect, monitor, and observer the behavior of the weather and climate. I think the government should take the initiative to invest on equipments and skilled professionals which will then aid in the functions of the agency.

I would like to acknowledge the ff. references I used in constructing this post: study study study

Information Organization by Dagobert Soergel

Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration

Typhoon Ondoy in the Philippines calamity - blog

Related reactions from previous forum threads

wikipedia.org

Feel free to drop comments and messages when you visit my blog a soul's reflections: innermost thoughts and emotions revealed! (link) lol! lol! lol!

Last edited by charmaine_dayanan on Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://charmainespeaksup.blogspot.com
vanessa may caneda

vanessa may caneda

PostSubject: Assign9   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Sep 06, 2009 4:51 pm

An Information Environment

Nowadays, the rise of information technology plays a vital role in every organization and major businesses. Competition is indeed a mere challenge to all organizations. The use of the so-called technology brings life to them not just because they need to have one but also by showing to others what they’ve got. The fast growing technology ruled over the world and influenced the industry level of businesses. Information technology is a powerful tool for meeting environmental objectives and promoting sustainable development. Information technologies are unique not just because of their growing use in decision-making and knowledge management systems, important as that is. Their use has also yielded significant improvements in the efficiency of energy and materials used by certain companies. This has contributed to economic expansion without the increases in environmental impacts that would have resulted had the efficiency improvements not occurred.

Advances in information technology are likely to continue to provide opportunities for the development of improved and new products and services offered by some organizations. The advances of technology nowadays certainly help in building a skilled workforce within the organization that definitely makes the company grow and produced quality services to customers.

Due to the rapid development of technology, information is acquired anytime,
anywhere and everywhere. Likewise, all medium to large organizations depend on Information technology for their continued survival. Information systems were developed simply to improve the efficiency of specific business functions. More recently information systems have been viewed as tools for obtaining
competitive advantage.

An information systems environment is an area in which professionals make use of the systems developed within the environment of the organization. An environment that doesn’t focused on one field but instead represents an ecosystem where information systems are employed and then used. The environment that both information systems and workforce work together to build a competitive and progressive organization they aim to have.

As an aspiring IT professional, soon I’ll be a part of the corporate world and prestigious IT environment or organization equipped with many knowledge. I take up IT because I want to be a part of the IT environment that is nowadays-latest trend. Hopefully I’ll be able to finish this course. The time I finished this course, I want to work in a big company such as Davao Light and Power Company, Ayala Group of Companies, PLDT, Philippine Airlines and San Miguel Corporations. The mentioned companies surely have the best job suited for me, I guess. I really dreamed of becoming a business analyst of one of the said companies. I want to become an Information Technology Business Analyst. IT business analyst plays a vital role in their organizations' technological direction. IT business analysis responsibilities can reside in various corporate functions and departments, such as operations, product development, information systems and finance. No matter what organization or title owns the function, the business analyst's primary responsibilities are gathering requirements for designing business information systems, modifying systems to improve production or workflow, deploying new applications or expanding systems to serve new purposes. The bottom line for business analysts is to help make the companies more efficient, effective and profitable. Being an IT business analyst soon, I must able to think logically and should probably work with many ideas since the work is dealing with number of tasks simultaneously. That’s really a challenging one, I guess. Another thing is that analyst often work independently since there are some cases that the work is done with a team for large projects. I must be able to communicate with technical personnel such as programmers, managers and clients who don’t have enough background with computers. My job is really important in the company. As what I’ve heard, IT business analyst is the brain of the company since the business relies on the technology.

Upon working in a company, there are lots of things to consider since we are not working alone. We will work and deal with different kinds of people, which is a means in creating a special workforce in a company that would surely help the organization. The time I’ll be working, I must also consider the ideas of my colleagues since we are the brain of the company. Doing that role requires great passion. The work is quiet challenging since it will be done under pressure. There are lots of challenges I may face in performing my role in that company. Managing the time, balance the work and the competition within the organization. That challenged me so much because that would probably an aid for me in becoming competent and effective personnel. Another thing is that the technology nowadays is fast moving and with that I must able to formulate some ideas that surely fit to what the technology had that moment of time. Facing those challenges would simply means that I have to be strong and competitive enough so that the role I’m portraying fit to what the organization wishes me to portray.

For now since I’m just a student, I would probably make sure that all my dreams will be come true. Though the pressure is there still I have to manage myself well so that the time I graduate, those I’ve mentioned will surely happen. Hopefully and in God’ time. Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Icon_smile Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Icon_bounce

Last edited by vanessa may caneda on Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sheila Capacillo

Sheila Capacillo

PostSubject: Assignment 9   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 10:58 pm

Idea Question Idea Question

Identify an information environment of your choice and write an essay to address the following questions

Information Environment

There is now a critical mass of digital information resources that can be used to support researchers, learners, teachers and administrators in their work and study. The production of information is on the increase and ways to deal with this effectively are required. There is the need to ensure that quality information isn’t lost amongst the masses of digital data created everyday. If we can continue to improve the management, interrogation and serving of ‘quality’ information there is huge potential to enhance knowledge creation across learning and research communities. The aim of the Information Environment is to help provide convenient access to resources for research and learning through the use of resource discovery and resource management tools and the development of better services and practice. The Information Environment aims to allow discovery, access and use of resources for research and learning irrespective of their location.

The Essay

As a student, I think my role in the specified environment which is the information environment is to recruit and challenge my fellow to what they can contribute for better. We know that we need or we can say that we have to engage to activities which are needed to have a better system of life.

I will propose principles for good representation of information applicable to six categories of communication: speeches, written texts, presentations, Web pages, movies/videos, and source programs. For each of these categories, many tips have been proposed for creating good information representation. The meaning of good information representation can be interpreted in two ways: as attractive or impressive, and effective in conveying facts and opinions. Although these two ways cannot be said to be independent of each other, I focus here only the latter. The need to establish explicit principles for good information representation is urgent, because information must be transmitted accurately (without loss of fidelity). Bad information representation is proliferating at a rapid pace because of the Internet Information representation

The challenges that could come up in this role are the lacked of innovative experiences to have a way of presenting it.

wanna visit mmy blog??
http://shecapacillo.blogspot.com

Last edited by Sheila Capacillo on Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dolorosa G. Mancera

Dolorosa G. Mancera

PostSubject: Assignment 8   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 11:26 pm

Assignment 9:

Our task is to identify an information environment and write an easy to address the following question: What should be our role in our chosen environment? How can the principles of information organization and representation help you in performing this role? What are the challenges facing you in performing the role? How will I address these challenges?

To begin with, let me define first the information environment. According to what I have searched on the web, the Information Environment (IE) is to develop and provide services which enable people to find and manage information efficiently and effectively in their learning, teaching or research. The information resources which people need are very varied - books, journals, research papers, teaching resources, videos, maps and more - and while they might be in any format they are increasingly digitalized.The aim of the Information Environment is to help provide convenient access to resources for research and learning through the use of resource discovery and resource
management tools and the development of better services and practice. The Information Environment aims to allow discovery, access and use of resources for research and learning irrespective of their location.

Information technology is a powerful tool for meeting environmental objectives and promoting sustainable development. Nowadays, technology plays a vital role in our daily life. Due to fast development of technology these days, information can be acquired everywhere, anytime and
anywhere we want.

An information technology helps or supports the mission of an organization. To do this, Almost all organization hire an IT Professionals in order to help their organizations’ management understand and manage their uncertainties.

Information environment might be defined as an organization having there own information system. Moreover, every organization today have there own information system since we can’t deny the fact that we are now living in a world wherein computers and different innovations are all around
and are most commonly used in any establishment.

In the present world, information environment are countless and are too big that they are able to span the whole world. Identifying an organization that has its leading and finest information environment in which that said organization applies management information systems and information technology expertly and effectively will be a difficult and complicated thing if we would think of a simple and small corporation. But as an Information Technology student, I can only think of a simple and ideal Information environment that would nourish me with all the new information.

Journeying back on the time that I’m still thinking of what course to take, it’s already one of my goals to get a job that would fit my interest. At first, I thought of taking up accountancy, but because of my fathers encouragement I enroll into BS in Information Technology. Am not quite
sure before of what IT is and what kind of environments I would be dealing with after I graduated with this course. But staying in this institution for years and still aiming to graduate, I can now predict or analyze what would be the environments that probably I’ll be dealing with. I took up IT therefore I have to work in an IT environment and be involved with the IT people and IT world.
I’m hoping that one day; I’ll be one of those people who are working on big and well-known companies. We get a job to work and to earn but another thing to remember that we also work to learn. Yes, definitely! In fact, learning is unstoppable. I’m not yearning to work abroad even if there are more and greater opportunities especially on our field. But if an opportunity takes place, I would definitely grab that one. It’s a privilege for us Filipino’s to show how intellectually-giant we are. Having a simple life and be happy is what I aim in life.

As I remember the discussions and reporting that we have in our Management Information System, in an organization Information System plays a vital role for them. The Management Information System department and IT department is considered as the heart and soul of a company. If I would be ask what profession I would like to take, well, that would be a tough decision to make because nobody knows what will happen in the future. But I do dream that I would be working with those jobs related to my interest. Well, I guess dreaming is not that bad? Whenever I tried to visualize that I would be an IT professional looking for an avenue where I can utilize every information that I
acquired in all the yeas that I have studied in the university and looking forward for further opportunity that I can explore more about information technology.

As a whole, am looking for a job suitable for the degree that I have earned and also suits my interest. But the conflict is that, I will choose what information system environment would fit me and not the unemployment. If we observe well, there are a vast number of information system environments that exist in the corporate world nowadays. And honestly speaking, I have many
interests but choosing an environment also depends on my skills. I could be involved in a web developing environment since one of my interest designing a web page. We already discussed some about developing a web page through the use of either jsp or the php. I like surfing the internet and exploring what’s new and what’s best. But I can learn more about this environment if I have enough resources and be able to learn more of what I need.

One of my interests is watching movies. Whenever I watch foreign movies I was so amazed with the that sometimes I cheer myself saying ” one day, you can make your own 3D animations too”, well, I hope so but there is nothing wrong on trying and practice makes perfect, right? In an animation environment is also a good idea to work with since I also love to watch cartoons. If there is a privilege with this environment, no doubt, I would definitely grab it.

As of now, the role of the information environment that I have chosen would be to big responsibility for a student like me. I will need more time in practicing all the needed expertise for the environment I want to suit with.

Establishing an effective, efficient and reliable information environment is not an easy job. We can’t assure that we can assure that we could establish a fully-functional and risk-free environment. The possible challenges that I think we will face in developing an ideal information environment are the limited of resources, security of the environment and financial problem. It would be a big risk if we only have limited resources and we are aiming to have a whole information environment. An ideal and reliable information environment should provide beneficial information to the users. With regards to security, we all know that an information environment is an essential and sensitive ingredient in an organization. Maintaining the security of an information environment is a big challenge that we will face. Absolutely, financial problem is a challenge for us and in an information environment. It
is an ideal way if we could get the resources right away and access the information we need.

After mentioning the challenges that would be a risk my performance in doing my duty in the information environment, I also have some alternatives or strategies to lessen these challenges since it are not that easy to totally overcome those challenges. First is to be open-minded with the
happenings and issues and even ideas of other people. I should not depend on what I know and on the resources that I already have. I can explore information in a simple and easier way. I should be focus on the environment am in.

visit my blog dgmancera.blogspot.com
thanks!

Last edited by Dolorosa G. Mancera on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:04 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dolorosa G. Mancera

Dolorosa G. Mancera

PostSubject: Assignment 8   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 11:27 pm

---

Last edited by Dolorosa G. Mancera on Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jerald jean pullos

jerald jean pullos

PostSubject: ass9   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 2:22 am

Identify an information environment of your choice and write an essay to address the following questions:

Information Environment

There is now a critical mass of digital information resources that can be used to support researchers, learners, teachers and administrators in their work and study. The production of information is on the increase and ways to deal with this effectively are required. There is the need to ensure that quality information isn’t lost amongst the masses of digital data created everyday. If we can continue to improve the management, interrogation and serving of ‘quality’ information there is huge potential to enhance knowledge creation across learning and research communities. The aim of the Information Environment is to help provide convenient access to resources for research and learning through the use of resource discovery and resource management tools and the development of better services and practice. The Information Environment aims to allow discovery, access and use of resources for research and learning
irrespective of their location.

reference:
http://www.jisc.ac.uk/whatwedo/themes/informationenvironment.aspx

..... :!:stil workin....

Last edited by jerald jean pullos on Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://jeraldjeanpullos.blogspot.com
Jevelyn Labor

Jevelyn Labor

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 2:32 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.tipukling3.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Empty

Back to top Go down

Assignment 9 (Due: Septemeber 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next