HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eyesee

PostSubject: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:29 pm

Make a reflection on this statement ..

"Human beings are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any organization, and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources" (1500words)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jevelyn Labor

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:11 am

“Human beings are the most important potent and critical resource of any organization and yet the least understood and the worst managed of it resources.”

Wheew… Well this statement has been thrown upon us during the reporting sessions."Human beings are the most important potent and critical resource of any organization…”“…potent…”?.Refering to the Book of Creation, God madeth the heaven and earth, commandeth there will be light, then he commandeth the plants to emerge, then he created animals… He was not pleased with what He saw, yet He knew something was lacking, so He breathe into a sand molded into His form and man came to life… He was satisfied…”. As you can see, God provided everything man wants and needs before He places in position to dwell the earth. This makes us the most special of all beings, most potent. He has given us privileges to be powerful among His creations. He had given us the rights to have access on all He has created.and the responsibility to take care of all His creations. “…critical resource of any organization…”?Humans are an organization's greatest assets; without them, everyday business functions such as managing cash flow, making business transactions, communicating through all forms of media, and dealing with customers could not be completed. Humans and the potential they possess drive an organization. Today's organizations are continuously changing. Organizational change impacts not only the business but also its employees. In order to maximize organizational effectiveness, human potential ”individuals' capabilities, time, and talents ”must be managed. Human resource management works to ensure that employees are able to meet the organization's goals. Human resource management is responsible for how people are treated in organizations. It is responsible for bringing people into the organization, helping them perform their work, compensating them for their labors, and solving problems that arise.The human mind is an enormously powerful instrument which we use within our daily lives, yet the sheer power of the human mind is hugely underestimated by most people which tends to then put limitations on their beliefs. Our own mind can cause us to experience seemingly paranormal events by playing tricks on us, causing us to have negative hallucinations and look around all over the place for something, to find that it was there right in front of us all along and in the very first place that we looked. When placed in unusual circumstances, such as staying in a haunted castle for a night, our own beliefs and expectations inevitably lead us into experiencing events as paranormal that would, in any other circumstance, seem completely normal. When placed in this kind of situation our perception of normal every day dormant sounds, such as background creaking, become stronger and more pronounced and we represent them to ourselves in a much stronger way leading ourselves into our own illusory experience. When we begin to question our beliefs about the seemingly paranormal event that occurs, we then lead ourselves further down the path. We may experience the feeling of touch on the back of our head or neck. This is a completely normal physiological response. When questioning our beliefs we may also experience what appears to be the sound of a voice. Bear in mind that human speech patterns are made up of a series of several smaller sounds, click and pops which all exist outside of human speech. This can cause us to misperceive external sounds as human speech and is actually very common. How many times have you been sitting with your partner in silence, when suddenly they turn around and ask 'What did you say?'.

An organization performs no useful function by itself. It simply provides an environment within which the human beings can do useful work.

…least understood and the worst managed of it resources.” Since we are only human, we are prone to mistakes. There are variety of pressures and challenges that each human being is facing everyday. Organizational success or failure almost always is due to the human factor. For example, human error was primarily responsible for the accident at the Three Mile Island, the worst commercial nuclear reactor accident in U.S. accident. Auxiliary cooling-water valves that were closed manually during a routine maintenance check were not reopened. Two weeks later, despite of strict government regulations and space-age engineering, the unopened valves were part of the freak chain of events that could have caused a catastrophic meltdown. The safety of hundreds of thousands of people hung in the balance because someone did not do his job. Human beings are responsible for getting jobs done through others, and consequently much of their time is devoted to hiring, training, motivating and leading.

…least understood…”. No ordinary person can over predict or detect someone’s point of view of managing a situation. We are made with different thoughts and different understanding on different matters that pertains to management. Since management is a hard task to do, requiring an individual to be productive and gainful in a highly-organized world. We are least understood because of our significant differences. Others may think that plan A would be a better escape to failure and others may agree on plan B. But despite of these differences, we , human beings are willing to accept the rejection of its preferred view. No matter how hard we try to understand our own behavior or other’s way of thinking, we could never be that perfect in predicting such manner.

…worst managed of it resources…
In today's pop culture, there is one very popular view of the future. All humans will be free to do as they wish, because robots and computers will work for us. Computers are viewed as the ideal slaves. They work non-stop, never complain, and above all, never make mistakes. It is often said that computers don't make mistakes, that it is the person using the computer who commits errors. What is it that makes humans err, but not computers? I will prove that it is simply the way humans are built that makes us commit errors. Unlike computers, built of mechanical or electronic parts, humans are made of organic matter and nerve pathways. These same pathways, with the help of the brain are responsible for all the decision making. I shall demonstrate why humans err, despite the fact that we have eyes and ears to sense with.
Before I can establish causes for error, I shall define the terms "error" and "mistake". In the context of this essay, they will simply mean that a human obtained a result different from the expected, correct one. Whether it in be adding two numbers, or calling someone by the wrong name, these are all errors that a computer would not make. An error can also be interpreted as being a wrong physical move. If a person is walking in the woods and trips on a branch, it is because the person erred in the sense of watching the path followed.
There is no doubt in anyone's mind that humans make mistakes all the time. Let us simply analyze any process in which there is a chance for someone to commit an error. Take for example a cashier in a grocery store. The cashier obtains the total on the cash register, and receives a twenty dollar bill from the customer. She must now give the patron back his/her change. The cash register tells the cashier that the client is owed 4.60$. The cashier then reaches into her change drawer to retrieve the proper set of coins. This is where the opportunity for error increases. What if the cashier only gives the customer back 4.55$, because she mistakenly returned a nickel instead of a dime? What caused this blunder? Would this blunder have happened if the cashier had had 15 minutes to decide on how much change to return instead of 15 seconds? Logically speaking, we can establish that if the cashier had 15 minutes to select the proper set of coins, she probably wouldn't have made a mistake. This is due to the fact that she would have taken more time in figuring out which coins to choose and would even have had time to review her decision several times.
What can we deduce from this discussion? Humans are more prone to make mistakes if they are rushed than if they have lots of time to do an operation. There are many other examples. If you give a class a math exam, but restrict them to 15 minutes, we can be almost certain that they will get a lower mark than the same class doing the same test in one hour. The reason is fairly simple. Our brains and senses simply do not react fast enough. That is why computers are so renown for their dependability in terms of errors. Computers can perform thousands more operations per second than a human with no chance of error. This is due to the construction of these machines. Their inanimate parts are better adapted to executing these operations at very high speeds.
Let us take another example. A man is adding up a column of numbers. We will pretend that this individual has a basic knowledge of math. The mistakes he might make, if any, will not be due to his lack of knowledge of the basic addition rules. He sits down with a sheet of paper with a list of many three digit numbers. What kinds of errors can he commit, and why? While adding up the numbers, he might mistake a 7 for a 1 and add the numbers together wrong. He might, while adding, disregard a number once in a while. All these possible mistakes would lead to the wrong final answer, but what causes these errors? Once again, the time factor is very important. Given the chance to redo his calculations another 99 times, he would certainly produce the correct final answer. The reason he committed errors was simply that he was doing an action faster that his brain and eyes could handle with 100% accuracy. It seems that our brains can compute complex operations that allow us to drive a car through terrible weather conditions, at night, but all these operations cannot be accomplished within too short a time limit.
So far, we have discussed the speed at which the brain can compute operations without error. We must consider other factors which can also lead to mistakes. To explain other types of error, I will use a terminology developed and used by the philosopher Bertrand Russell. He identifies something called sense data. Sense data is the data received by our senses from the object being "sensed". For instance, if a person is looking at a red apple, the shape and color and all other aspects of this apple are received in the form of sense data. In the case of the man adding up the numbers, he mistook a 7 for a 1. What really happened is that his senses misidentified the number. The sense data was received by his eyes, which then converted this information into an electrical signal to be sent to the brain for analysis. There are thus two possibilities. Either the eyes did not transform the signal of the 7 properly, or the brain misunderstood the signal received from the eyes. In both cases, the sense data was analyzed incorrectly, leading to an error in the final calculation.
Some skeptics might criticize my position by saying that, no matter how much time a person has to complete a job, he or she might still commit errors. In the example of the cashier that I used earlier, one might say that although she had 15 minutes to select 3 different coins, that she still might make a mistake. One could justify this position by saying that this is due to a lack of attention. If a person has 15 minutes to complete a simple task, they will pay very little attention to the details. If the coin is slightly worn out, and the cashier is not paying attention, then she will pick it up by mistake. Moreover, once the coin is selected, she will assume that it is the right one, so that even if she checks the coins before handing them to the customer, she might simply assume that she has selected the correct amount. My answer to this position is fairly clear. No matter how little attention she pays to the job she is doing, that is not where the error lies. If she is distracted while picking up the coins in question, then her senses are not receiving and analyzing the sense datum properly, or thoroughly. This is simply a more complex case of what I described earlier, with the man mistaking a 7 for a 1. The individual is not drawing the right conclusion from the sense data received.
In light of the examples and discussions presented, I think is safe to say that human error is due to the fact that the brain can only function perfectly up to a certain speed. Also, the five human senses do not always properly interpret the sense data received, causing the brain to make mistakes. Not paying attention to what one is doing is not a reason for making a mistake. It is the repercussions of this behavior that cause the error, because the person is not using his/her senses properly. In conclusion, it is understandable that humans make mistakes despite the fact that our senses receive sense data from objects surrounding us.

-

Last edited by Jevelyn Labor on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:22 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.tipukling3.blogspot.com
juvilynconsejo

PostSubject: my reflection   Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:41 pm

We are made in equality so its better to stay humble in all thing you do...........

As I understand with this phrase, I can say that I am agree with it because as I go through with my study, I learned that without people there would no "tagapangalaga" with the creation of the Savior Almighty and except people, there'll be no improvement happen. The human beings are the most important because of all the living things that made by God we have the highest capacity in mentally aspect, we can decide what ever we want either good or bad. God give us choices to be choose. We have also the potential to improve our skills, all we need to do is have patience in what we do.

Somehow, we are the critical and least understood by the organization, not only the organization but even by another person. Being a person, you can't dictate them easily because they have their own mind to decide what you can do is to guide them, in other words, you can not force them doing something. If they want to work a particular job well its good but if they don't they will find ways to make it slower in time and this is also the reason why human beings are the worst to manage by its resources.

If I will reflect myself to be that human being specifically, I would say I don't really want to be dictated by somebody but in order for me to learn and enhance my knowledge I need a help or guidance by someone. Living in this world is not that easy you can encounter any problems and hindrances so if there's no one around you perhaps you'll become crazy. So, in this matter, how I could be a leader in such a group of people when I myself don't want to be utter by someone. Deep inside me I know this is not only aspect that be considered...I hope my vision is correct.

Until now, I would ask myself am I deserving to be a leader?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://juvilyn-juvilyn.blogspot.com/
Joseph Ethel Valdez

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:22 am

"Human beings are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any organization, and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources"

In this statement human being are the most important because they consider as the heart of the organization. There are lots of technology present in this world that allows companies to easily gather vast amounts of information about individual transactions. Technology also allows large amounts of data to be compiled quickly and accurately, significantly reducing error. But still technology does not replace judgment and human must still analyze situations and input results and analyze the output of his work. This is how important human is.

Managing an organization, for the manager - nowadays called a “leader” – is both art and science.

Understanding the role of human
In order the human will not be least the least understood and the worst managed of its resources. The science of management comprises three major missions:

1. Mission one – managing people – is the process of getting people to work; assigning them jobs for which they have the necessary abilities and skills; supporting and operating the organization in such a way as to encourage people to work together happily; producing and providing a service in line with the organization’s aims.

2. Mission two is managing work and organizations. The main goal of this mission is to get people to perform their duties in line with the organizational structure. An organization will survive if it has work to do. When an organization has work to do, people will have to work. So, this mission is important.

3. Mission three, managing production and operations, mean managing all work property and getting things done in line with the main target of the organization. Production will come about as a result of people working individually and as a team. Each person plays an important role in this mission.

All three missions will be successful if the organization leader understands the role of human in order to them to least understood and the worst managed of its resources. The first goal is to understand people’s opinions, which are a part to the organization. Each job will be a success if it is the result of people’s readiness and willingness to work. Secondly, when people work with others or work individually in the organization, they acquire, learning skill and work experience. At the final stage of the concept, people are the result of a developed organization. The organization’s output may be a product or service, which is consumed. The third issue is, studying, learning and understanding that people in the two categories have differences and similarities.

Organization leaders need to study, learn and understand their co-workers by observing and accepting individual differences. Meanwhile, they need to study each variance inside and outside the organization because these variances have an impact on people’s behaviour. Variances in the organization include an organization’s rules and regulation, the work’s characteristics, work hours and others.

Variances outside the organization comprise information about family, society and community. Finally, the organization leaders needs to try to find a relationships between variances that influence people’s behaviour in order to understand the people and treat them well.

Differences between people in an organization have many aspects, which an organization leader needs to study and understand as follows:

Personality

1. Personality is a combination of physical and mental aspects, which result in each person’s character. Personality is caused by genes, social environment, culture and relationships among family members. Understanding personalities can help organization leaders understand people’s actions, changes and development. The leader can even understand what and to what degree people are aware of things inside and outside the organization.

Attitude

2. Attitude is defined as people’s responses to things. Attitudes will be both positive and negative. They directly involve emotion, awareness, belief and opinion. Attitudes can be observed from the behavior exhibited when people respond to people, animals or things. People’s attitudes can be seen when they act, for example, with friendliness or aggressiveness.

Abilities and skills

3. Mental ability is called intelligence, while physical ability is called skill. Ability can be innate or come through learning. For examples the ability to remember a picture or figure, or the ability to present a beautiful speech to co-workers, or to summaries an event correctly and quickly. Organization leaders can determine people’s abilities and skills and assign a job suit them As a result, an organization can achieve the work it has targeted.

Variations in gender, nationality and culture

4. People’s gender, nationality and culture will vary inside and outside the group. People in an organization will have a variety of cultures, value estimations, languages, skills, beliefs and thoughts. These variations can be seen around the world. It can not be said that people of different nationalities have different work potentials, Due to a lack of study in this area, organization leaders, however, need to learn how to communicate with people who different qualities as mentioned above. It is not a simple task to put the right people in the right job in line with their ability, skill, knowledge and attitude towards the organization.

Motivation and work ability

5. Something’s can act as a stimulus within an organization-for example, rewarding or performance. According to study rewarding have the best influence on the performance of people in an organization. Organization leaders should learn to use motivation to realize employees’ mental and physical potential. A “reward” means not only financial benefits but also non- financial benefits such as praise and medals from the organization.

Role of HR

The role of the HR manager must parallel the needs of his or her changing organization. Successful organizations are becoming more adaptive, resilient, quick to change direction and customer-centered. Within this environment, the HR professional, who is considered necessary by line managers, is a strategic partner, an employee sponsor or advocate and a change mentor.

Strategic Partner

In today’s organizations, to guarantee their viability and ability to contribute, HR managers need to think of themselves as strategic partners. In this role, the HR person contributes to the development of and the accomplishment of the organization-wide business plan and objectives.

The HR business objectives are established to support the attainment of the overall strategic business plan and objectives. The tactical HR representative is deeply knowledgeable about the design of work systems in which people succeed and contribute. This strategic partnership impacts HR services such as the design of work positions; hiring; reward, recognition and strategic pay; performance development and appraisal systems; career and succession planning; and employee development.

Employee Advocate

As an employee sponsor or advocate, the HR manager plays an integral role in organizational success via his knowledge about and advocacy of people. This advocacy includes expertise in how to create a work environment in which people will choose to be motivated, contributing, and happy.

Fostering effective methods of goal setting, communication and empowerment through responsibility, builds employee ownership of the organization. The HR professional helps establish the organizational culture and climate in which people have the competency, concern and commitment to serve customers well.
In this role, the HR manager provides employee development opportunities, employee assistance programs, gain sharing and profit-sharing strategies, organization development interventions, due process approaches to problem solving and regularly scheduled communication opportunities.

Therefore Human Resource contributes to the organization by constantly assessing the effectiveness of the HR function. He also sponsors change in other departments and in work practices. To promote the overall success of his organization, he champions the identification of the organizational mission, vision, values, goals and action plans. Finally, he helps determine the measures that will tell his organization how well it is succeeding in all of this.

References:
http://humanresources.about.com/od/hrbasicsfaq/a/hr_role.htm
http://msci.chandra.ac.th/download/km/01.pdf

My BLoG:
http://jevaldez.blogspot.com/
Arrow Arrow

Last edited by Joseph Ethel Valdez on Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Marlie E. Sisneros

PostSubject: assignment 7   Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:35 am

MARLIE's PAGE:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION: Make a reflection on this statement ..

"Human
beings are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any
organization, and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its
resources" (1500words)

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

RETORT:

IT'S THE MOST BASIC DEFINITION OF HUMANS.."MOST
RATIONAL ANIMAL as qouted in wikipedia

"In Philosophy, rationality and reason are the key methods used to analyze the data gathered through systematically gathered observations. In economics, sociology, and political science, a decision or situation is often called rational if it is in some sense optimal and individuals or organizations
are often called rational if they tend to act somehow optimally in
pursuit of their goals. Thus one speaks, for example, of a rational
allocation of resources, or of a rational corporate strategy. In this
concept of "rationality", the individual's goals or motives are taken
for granted and not made subject to criticism, ethical or otherwise.
Thus rationality simply refers to the success of goal attainment,
whatever those goals may be. Sometimes, in this context, rationality is
equated with behavior that is self-interested to the point of being
selfish. Sometimes rationality implies having complete knowledge about
all the details of a given situation."

Functions

The Human Resources Management (HRM) function includes a variety of
activities, and key among them is deciding what staffing needs you have
and whether to use independent contractors or hire employees to fill
these needs, recruiting and training the best employees, ensuring they
are high performers, dealing with performance issues, and ensuring your
personnel and management practices conform to various regulations.
Activities also include managing your approach to employee benefits and
compensation, employee records and personnel policies. Usually small
businesses (for-profit or nonprofit) have to carry out these activities
themselves because they can't yet afford part- or full-time help.
However, they should always ensure that employees have -- and are aware
of -- personnel policies which conform to current regulations. These
policies are often in the form of employee manuals, which all employees
have.

HRM features include:

• Organizational management
  • Personnel administration
  • Manpower management
  • Industrial management

Business practice

Human resources management comprises several processes. Together
they are supposed to achieve the above mentioned goal. These processes
can be performed in an HR department, but some tasks can also be
outsourced or performed by line-managers or other departments. When
effectively integrated they provide significant economic benefit to the
company.

REFERENCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_resource_management

-Because of our rational,critical brains and individuality as human beings, we tend to make things in our own ways that can suit to our personal desires and interests, and thats the main reason why sometimes dealing with fellowmen in an organization is hard ,intricate and complicated.
And there are many upshots that we encounter because of these individualities.

Okey, lets discuss managing issues, on how managing should be done in the most important ingredient and spice in every organizations, the HUMANS.

eah

individual are created with
unique features, attitudes and characteristics so, perhaps managing them would be so hard and needs a lot of patience and self control.
In this wolrd of technologies and

businesses, every organizations needs a strategic plans and actions on how to manage their workers so that the rhythm of camaraderie would be maintained,so that the organization would grow. And for the sake of that growth, the people in the association
should of course must have the perfect character in every position they hold in that company.so that the issue of managing them would be an ease for the one who manage them.

In every company, conficts and divergences cannot be avoided,
an employee must not necessarily needs to wear his/her mask eveytime his/she's at work. she needs to be just herself,to be understood to understand others character as well.
a personnel don't need to

camofaluge just to be appreciated..one must act according to what is right and ought to be done in righteousness. and surely an organization would surely endulge in their growth economically,politically, and sociologically aspects.

~fin!~

Last edited by Marlie E. Sisneros on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:13 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://msisneros.blogspot.com/
Chris Romarate

PostSubject: Assignment 7   Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:46 pm

In this statement, my own notion for this is, the employee is the most important ingredient in an organization or company. Without an employee, you cannot say that it is an organization (most of us referred this as company) because they are the one which contributed more in order that this kind of organization can survive.

Leaders within our industry have consistently stated that employees are very important. According to the American Public Transportation Association, they defined two main strategic goals on the development of our industry's workforce. The managers and supervisors have stated that training and development is the core requirement to long range success. Ask yourself, "Why is training and development, attracting and retaining transit workers such a problem? Why doesn't the transit industry create a market of certified transit professionals? Why aren't we teaching our employees how vision, mission and values link to our every day business?". Organizations still ponder with the need to invest current dollars in training and certification processes, in place of short-term fixes that tend to add only little value to the industry's success. Anyone managing a multi-million dollar public transit operation today realizes that this industry employs over 450, 000 people in North America and moves over four billion people annually. Ensuring our employees have the tools needed to be successful, improving their skills through training and managerial dedication that will pay dividends. Many leaders underestimate the importance of designing an organization's future with this in mind. However, I challenge our leaders to take the steps to have the goals of training, development, and recognition as part of our industry's way of operating. Having these goals that invests in our employees, will sustain long needed success for our customers and the growth of our industry into the 21st century.

Employees are potent and critical because they are human beings which have rational thinking and logic. According to philosophical view of man, when he realises that he is the highest of all creation, then he becomes a human. When he develops his intellect, then he becomes a human. When he becomes an example for others, then he becomes a human. When he transcends the common limitations through his wisdom, then he becomes best of humans.

Not all humans have the same kind of intellect. Some men have the ability of being a leader and some are not. Do not be confused why there are people in the highest positions in a company and there are people in the lowest positions in a company. That is why there are managers, supervisors, CEOs which are gifted in this kind of disciplines.

In order that the managers, supervisors and other high ranking officials of a certain organization can have a better product, managers or any other high ranking officials of a certain organization may made some motivators to the employees so that these motivators will help to them in order that their products or contributions may be acceptable to the institution. As I surf over the internet, I found this motivators so that employees may be happy at work.

1. What People Want From Work

Some people work for personal fulfillment; others work for love of what they do. Others work to accomplish goals and to feel as if they are contributing to something larger than themselves. The bottom line is that we all work for money and for reasons too individual to assign similarities to all workers.

2. How To Demonstrate Respect at Work

Ask anyone in your workplace what treatment they most want at work. They will likely top their list with the desire to be treated with dignity and respect. You can demonstrate respect with simple, yet powerful actions. These ideas will help you avoid needless, insensitive, unmeant disrespect, too.

3. Provide Feedback That Has an Impact

Make your feedback have the impact it deserves by the manner and approach you use to deliver feedback. Your feedback can make a difference to people if you can avoid a defensive response.

4. Top Ten Ways to Show Appreciation
You can tell your colleagues, coworkers and staff how much you value them and their contribution any day of the year. Trust me. No occasion is necessary. In fact, small surprises and tokens of your appreciation spread throughout the year help the people in your work life feel valued all year long.

5. Trust Rules: The Most Important Secret

Without it, you have nothing. Trust forms the foundation for effective communication, employee retention, and employee motivation and contribution of discretionary energy, the extra effort that people voluntarily invest in work. When trust is present, everything else is easier.

6. Provide Motivational Employee Recognition

You can avoid the employee recognition traps that: single out one or a few employees who are mysteriously selected for the recognition; sap the morale of the many who failed to win, place, or even show; confuse people who meet the criteria yet were not selected; or sought votes or other personalized, subjective criteria to determine winners.

7. Employee Recognition Rocks

Employee recognition is limited in most organizations. Employees complain about the lack of recognition regularly. Managers ask, “Why should I recognize or thank him? He’s just doing his job.” And, life at work is busy, busy, busy. These factors combine to create work places that fail to provide recognition for employees. Managers who prioritize employee recognition understand the power of recognition.

8. Top Ten Ways to Retain Your Great Employees
Key employee retention is critical to the long term health and success of your business. Managers readily agree that their role is key in retaining your best employees to ensure business success. If managers can cite this fact so well, why do many behave in ways that so frequently encourage great employees to quit their job?

9. Team Building and Delegation: How and When to Empower People
Employee involvement is creating an environment in which people have an impact on decisions and actions that affect their jobs. Team building occurs when the manager knows when to tell, sell, consult, join, or delegate to staff. For employee involvement and empowerment, both team building and delegation rule.

10. Build a Mentoring Culture
What does it take to develop people? More than writing “equal opportunity” into your organization’s mission statement. More than sending someone to a training class. More than hard work on the part of employees. What development does take is people who are willing to listen and help their colleagues. Development takes coaches, guides and advocates. People development needs mentors.

To read more about this, you may click this link: http://humanresources.about.com/od/rewardrecognition/tp/recognition.htm

We may say also that the human beings in an organization are the least understood and worst to manage it is because, these human beings are able enough to make some critical decisions and justifications. You cannot easily control your employee because they are capable to do so some things which you can do unless you do have some robotic employees which are irrational and cannot perform logical thinking. That is why, God gave the dominion to the man to rule over the fluvial, terrestrial and aerial domains but not above to him.

Source:
http://74.125.153.132/search?q=cache:V1edGbz1MIoJ:www.aptrex.com/StumpoPaperCalgary.pdf+why+employees+are+important&cd=1&hl=tl&ct=clnk&gl=ph
http://humanresources.about.com/od/rewardrecognition/tp/recognition.htm
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jerald jean pullos

PostSubject: ass7   Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:37 pm

Human Beings

It is important to understand what we are as human beings. The present state of knowledge of the human being is one which has been informed by the materialistic reductionist thinking of modern technological science. It is commonplace for people generally to think of the human body as being merely an elaborate machine, with all the non-material aspects of the human being- thinking, feeling, attitudes, emotions, mores, imagination, etc., etc, as being merely the result of the physico-chemical activities which take place in the physical body. However, the human organism is not a machine and does not operate under the aegis of chemical and physical laws.

http://www.alchemycalpages.com/human.html

Human Beings are IMPORTANT...

human beings plays vital role in an organization. human being sets goals, carry out task, make decisions, serves clients and customers and in case of IT specialists, they provide stable and reliable technology and environment so the organization can run smoothly and gain a competitive advantage in a marketplace.

[size=16Human Beings[/size] are LEAST UNDERSTOOD...

since we are intellectual, we are least understood by the others because each of us has our own understanding in all things in our surroundings and we our own opinion that other people would not be agreed.

Human Beings are [size=18WORST to MANAGE[/size]...

we are intelligent in the extent that no human being wants to managed and directed and they were thinking that they are knowledgeable enough to compete with other people.

....stil workin...

Last edited by jerald jean pullos on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:03 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jeraldjeanpullos.blogspot.com
carla comoda

PostSubject: HRM :: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:56 am

“Human beings are the most important potent and critical resource of any organization and yet the least understood and the worst managed of it resources.
It is important to understand what we are as human beings. The present state of knowledge of the human being is one which has been informed by the materialistic reductionist thinking of modern technological science. It is commonplace for people generally to think of the human body as being merely an elaborate machine, with all the non-material aspects of the human being- thinking, feeling, attitudes, emotions, mores, imagination, etc., etc, as being merely the result of the physico-chemical activities which take place in the physical body. However, the human organism is not a machine and does not operate under the aegis of chemical and physical laws. An important statement made by Rudolf Steiner in this context, given in a lecture series published as "Man as Symphony of the Creative Word", (Rudolf Steiner Press, London, 1970, pp. 188-189) in 1923, eloquently illustrates the problem:

" Wouldst thou heal man, look into the world on every side, see on every side how the world evolves processes of healing. Wouldst thou know the secrets of the world in the processes of illness and healing, look into the depths of human nature. You can apply this to every aspect of man's being, but you must direct your gaze outwards to the great world of nature and see man in a living relationship to this great world.
People today have become accustomed to something different. They depart from nature as far as possible. They do something which shuts their own sight off from nature, for what they wish to examine they lay beneath a glass on a little stand - the eye does not look out into nature, but looks into the glass. Sight itself is cut off from nature. They call this the microscope. In certain connections it might as well be called a nulloscope, for it shuts one off from the great world of nature. People do not know, when something under a glass is magnified, that for spiritual knowledge it is exactly as though the same process were to take place in nature herself. For only think, when you take some minute particle from the human being for the purpose of observation under a microscope, what you then do with this minute fragment is the same as if were to stretch the man himself and tear him apart. You would be an even worse monster than Procrustes if you were to wrench man and tear him asunder in order to enlarge him as that minute particle is enlarged under the microscope. But do you believe that you would still have the person before you? This would naturally be out of the question. Just as little do you have the reality there under the microscope. The truth which has been magnified is no longer the truth; it is an illusory image. We must not depart from nature and imprison our own sight. For other purposes, this can of course be useful; but for a true knowledge of man it is immensely misleading.
Knowledge of man in the true sense must be sought in the way we have indicated. Starting from the processes of nutrition, it must be followed through the processes of healing to the processes of human and world education in the widest sense. Or we can put it thus: from nutrition, through healing, to civilization and culture."

This line of thinking leads to the logical conclusion that it is not possible to understand the human being by means of the scientific methodology employed today. Anytime we open up the human being by means of tissue samples, doing blood analysis, etc., we simply do not have any reality before us; what we have is an artifact abstracted from the context in which it naturally exists, and so whatever we find out about the artifact has no reality with regard to the living tissue itself in the context of its functioning within the human organism. This has necessarily lead to tremendous confusion and chaos in the world because it is based on ignorance about what we are as human beings. The following is a greatly simplified description of the constitution of the human being; for a more detailed description of the complexities of the human being I refer you to the book "Theosophy" by Rudolf Steiner,
(Anthroposophic Press).

Reference: http://www.alchemycalpages.com/human.html

myblog: http://quinkaye.blogspot.com

Last edited by april kaye bigonte on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:42 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://quinkaye.blogspot.com
Maria Theresa F. Rulete

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:11 pm

In view of the evil that human beings have wrought and continue to bring about, as well as in view of the destructive human caused global warming and abuse of natural resources on the planet earth, the question whether our world and the universe would be better off without human beings around, seems a legitimate one. Add to that that human beings are one, merely one, of the many living beings that originated in a long and complicated process of evolution … despite the fact that many philosophical and religious arguments have been constructed to ideologically underpin the idea that human beings are the focus and goal of the cosmos and of cosmic evolution. Should we not be more humble about ourselves, all the more so when we consider that amongst living beings, humans enjoy great abilities and capacities, not in the least their developed skills of thinking and of (self-)reflection which provide them with means to order their world? Is humility not appropriate when one realizes that one has received these gifts not for oneself, but as part of the cosmos and towards the service of the cosmos. In a way, it as is if the cosmos, over a long period of time and complicated processes of evolution and change, has given itself possibilities for further development.

Reflections as these point towards a balanced view on human beings as part of the world, the universe, the cosmos. Of course, human beings are special and precious – there are not many of us around in our own corner of the galaxy, as Stephen Hawking reminds us on a TED talk -, and that means that they have a role and a responsibility as part of the world. “As part of the world” cannot, I think, be replaced by “as goal of the world”. Overshooting on the side of the importance of human beings, has rightly been criticized – when human beings belong their sense of belonging to the universe and start to instrumentalize all other beings and resources just in view of themselves, then a destructive dynamism ensues that will, in the end, also lead to the destruction of the living conditions and possibilities of the human beings themselves. But, not recognizing the special role and capacities of human beings at the service of change in the universe and not allowing for human beings to be considered “something special”, deprives the world of a capacity it has given itself. It’s important to strike the balance well, when considering the role and place of human beings in the universe, when asking the question of anthropocentrism.

The issue is of great importance for philosophers and theologians, as well as for scientists. All of them are aware that our knowledge about the world – and if one wants to say: a kind of knowledge that the world reaches about itself – is human. But this capacity of knowledge and reflection seems to, so to say, separate the knowing subject from the known object, and it is highly tempting, as a consequence, to consider the knower, the human being, as something very special ánd separate from the rest. What I would plea for – and after re-reading Pierre Teilhard de Chardin’s introduction to his Le phénomène humain, I have the impression that I am here in his good company – is to be aware of the human being as “special” but “not-separate” from the rest of the world, and even dependent on the whole rest of the world for survival. As a theologian, I would say it as follows: in creating the universe and allowing it to bring forth human beings, the Creator gave creation a potential for development and ran a risk. Our interwoven anthropologies and cosmologies should articulate this double perspective.

Through out the civilization process human beings have tried to organize themselves. Human well being goal has given rise to political system, economic system, social institutions. But all are governed by time bound action programmes which does not look beyond life time of maximum of two generations as private motive , time preference for present over future dominate. Non human biodiversity , their space in the ecosystem, role in human well being are least understood . This knowledge gap makes precautionary principle also fail to get defined and accepted. It is not technology, legislation or cooperation but education, ethics, that may lead to a smooth paradigm shift. Challenge is how to build that ecocentric goal which will embed in it anthropocentric goals. But theoretical solution will not be enough unless operational rules are laid out. Anthropocentric goals have led to human habitat design, mobility design etc. but without considering if that is in conflict with ecosystem’s well being. So challenge is how can the bigger picture be organised?

Many organizations profess to consider their employees their most important asset but all too often their policies, procedures and managerial practices contradict that view. Such contradictions and out-dated management practices inhibit improvements in productivity, sap motivation and reduce profit margins.

Managerial practices must keep pace with the changing workforce. The workforce of today is better educate and its value systems, career expectations, and basic work habits are drastically different from those of the previous generation. Unfortunately many managers have not changed their style to meet their needs.

Continued adherence to management techniques that may have been acceptable in the past is a serious impediment to any organization's ability to succeed in today's competitive environment. Employees are looking for more responsibility and more involvement in decisions - particularly those which directly affect them. The traditional authoritarian boss/subordinate relationship is not accepted by the majority of employees today. Worker resistance to outdated management results in minimal performance levels and causes organizations to forfeit required improvements in productivity.
A different focus on the relationship of the manager to those being managed can be done without "giving away the store" and compromising the manager's role to give direction. For companies to survive, it is essential that they update their approach to managing their most important asset - their people.

Many managers are familiar with, and were part of, the evolution of personnel management where new ideas in this field were seized upon as a solution to an existing problem or existing practices were modified and given new impetus. As a consequence, many facets of personnel management were introduced as individual programs.
This often resulted in a disjointed set of policies and procedures, which were not focussed on contributing to corporate goals and often had the opposite effect. In fact separate individual programs were sometimes contradictory in their stated objectives.

Such conflicting messages can have the effect of lowering employees' commitment to an organization, reducing their motivation and productivity. It can also be the cause of the loss of valued employees who are bright enough to see the contradictions and the adverse effects of misguided personnel management practices.

Personnel management is not the sole responsibility of the personnel department. It is the business of all managers. All levels of management from first line supervisors up to and including the CEO must be in tune with and manage their employees in a manner consistent with published practices, policies and procedures which are in harmony with the needs of the workforce. All functions related to people management must be co-ordinated, follow a common philosophy and be part of a process that effectively contributes to the achievement of the goals of the organization.

The only competitive advantage many organizations have is the ability to improve the performance of their people at all levels. Therefore HR management has to take on a whole new meaning and be regarded by senior management as a key component of the organization's activities and be given the requisite high profile in the development of its long term strategies.
In the years ahead , in addition to increasing business competitiveness, there will be increasing competition for a shrinking workforce. Employees will be attracted to organizations which practice imaginative and enlightened management and avoid" management by best-seller" which gives rise to the contradictions discussed earlier.

When revising, updating and redefining the roles of employees and development training plans, particular attention should be paid to the people at the lower levels . It is the customer service reps, drivers, order clerks and receptionists who frequently are the first interface with the customers. Their behaviour will reflect either positively or negatively on the organization and will be consistent with how they themselves are managed.

No matter how wise the CEO, or how great the product or service, the battle for customer loyalty is fought by the front-line troops - those employees at the lower levels of the organization structure. Hence it is critical that due care and consideration be given those employees when developing HR policies and training programs.

The development of an effective employee management plan is indeed a major undertaking. It requires the endorsement and active support at the CEO level. Although many managers claim to be experts in people management, there are probably fewer experts in HR management than in most other areas of business activity.

If organization leaders do not take a personal interest in the integration of human resources planning with other aspects of the planning cycle and develop a co-ordinated process, they will soon suffer the economic penalties. As Peter Drucker has pointed out, an irreversible change in the world economy has already taken place. To prosper in this new world order, high priority must be given to increased productivity through enlightened and effective people management.

http://jacqueshaers.wordpress.com/2008/09/06/human-beings-are-we-important/
http://www.icsu-visioning.org/2009/09/human-well-being-goal-and-operational-mechanism-motivate-transcend-anthropocentricism/
http://www.mansis.com/page1222.htm

My Blog: http://etelur.blogspot.com/2009/10/hrm-assignment-7.html

Last edited by tere_etelur on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:48 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jojimie

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:48 pm

In every organization, there are three major resources to be managed if the organization wants to achieve its objectives and goals. These resources are Humans, materials and financial resources. And out of these three, human resource management is the most important and difficult to manage. The reason being that every human being is born unique and therefore is bound to have different characteristics-- that is, the ways they think feel reason and act. Secondly, human beings control and coordinate the other resources. They constitute the workforce of an organization and are referred to as personnel. Since human nature plays a very major part in the overall success of an organization, it is therefore important to have an effective working relationship between the employee and the manager as this is essential for the success of the organization.
Human Resource Management, which involves the efficient and effective management within an organization, is one of the vital functions of Educational Administrators. This is because every administrator has a function to perform through his staff and his own abilities. Every university like other formal organizations needs human beings to execute its programmes and achieve educational goals and objectives. To be able to achieve this, the Registrar who is the ‘chief of administration’ has to ensure that personnel with whom he works knows what to do, when to do it and how to do it. Another name for human resource management is personnel management. No matter the name we chose to call it, its basic function is to deal with people who make up an organization. And these people have diverse interest, goals and values.

Personnel management is the proper utilization of the people in an organization towards achieving their needs and organizational goals. To this extent, it involves understanding the nature of people in an organization, their needs and aspiration and evolving the necessary strategies to accomplish these needs and aspirations. It also involves identifying the objectives of the organization and creating a conducive atmosphere towards leading staff to achieving the goals of the organization. Personnel management as the process of obtaining, organizing and motivating the human resources needed in by an organization. He advocated for the creation of a very conducive and cordial environment in order to satisfy the needs of the workers and achieve organizational goals.

FUNCTIONS OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT

The primary responsibility of a human resource manager is to ensure that human resources are utilized and managed as efficiently and effectively as possible. To this end, the university chief administrator is required meet the following objectives:
1. Recruitment and selection
2. Helping in creating a working environment
3. Ensuring that the abilities and skills of the workforce
4. Ensuring a fair balance
Other human resource management functions include:
1. Recruitment and Selection
2. Training and Education
3. Wages and salary Administration
4. Staff Appraisals
5. Welfare
6. Trade Union Relations

ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOUR

All organizations including educational institutions are made up of people who chose to work in it primarily because it enables them to satisfy at least some of their personal needs. Virtually everybody works, plays or is educated in an organization. Attempt must be made to define what an organization is. Organization is a system of consciously coordinated activities which are deliberately structured for the purpose of realizing specific goals. “Whenever several people are working together for a common end, there must be some form of organization: that is the task must be divided among them and the work of the group must be coordinated. Dividing the work and arranging for coordination make up the process of organization and once that is completed, the group may be described as an organization.”
The more complex an organization is, the more difficult it is to coordinate activities, predict events or phenomena and attain set objectives maximally. We can therefore view organizational behavior as the systematic study of the nature of organizations; how they begin, how they develop and their effects on individual members. It is also a systematic attempt to understand the behavior of people in an organization; not just human behavior but structural behavior, elements behavior, systems behavior and even policy behavior. Thus for staff in the registry department of the university to function efficiently and effectively, the Registrar must understand the nature of people he is working with and be able to interpret their behaviors. Organizational behavior follows the principle of human behavior: People in an organization are governed by the same psychological mechanisms both on the job and outside the job. Organizational behavior is human behavior in a particular setting. The behavior of an individual in an organization is determined to some extent by internal and external factors. These include learning ability, motivation, perception, attitude, emotions, frustration etc. while the external factors include stress, reward system, degree of trust, group cohesiveness, social factors, office policies etc. Organizational behavior can also be situational.
. An individual’s behavior cannot be disassociated from the situation he finds himself. For example, a normally calm individual is forced into constant close physical aggressiveness with some other people. The behavior of that individual is therefore a function of interaction between his characteristics and other environmental variables. Organizations are seen as complex systems consisting of interrelated subsistence. Changes or alteration in any part of the system have consequences on other part of the system. Modification in the system leads to desired positive changes called functions. Negative consequences in response to alteration or change in the system are called dysfunction. Therefore the behavior of an individual is borne out of the decisions that have been taken in an organization.
Organizations represent constant interaction between structure and process. To get an assignment accomplished in an organization, we need to define who does what. Structures refer to organizational shapes, definitions and rules. It is what binds an organization together. Process is the sequence of activity in the system. Decision Making, Communication, Leadership and Conflict are few examples of the many processes that take place within an organization.

HUMAN RELATIONS APPROACH TO MANAGEMENT

Good human relations in an organization, for it to function effectively and efficiently cannot be over-emphasized. It provides knowledge on how people interact and respond in different organizational situations in an effort to satisfy their needs and in the process meet organizational goals. The chief administrator’s ability to understand his staff and their problems, and his belief in and the practice of democratic leadership will go a long way to make him succeed in his supervisory and administrative task. The effective operation of any organization depends on the Human Resources in that organization. Educational Administration is concerned with the mobilization of the efforts of people for the achievement of educational objectives. It is therefore imperative that the Registrar cultivates the habits of Human Relations in his odious administrative task. The difference between the ideas of the Efficiency movement and those of the Human Relations movement was that of the former emphasizing getting most out of the worker, even to the extent of requiring him to subordinate his interest and needs of those in the organization, while the latter emphasized the humanitarian aspects which sought to satisfy the needs of the worker, minimize his frustrations and increase the level of job satisfaction.
The real service for business men is no t just the production and distribution of manufactured articles, but to give an opportunity for individual development and self-actualization through better organization of human relationships. The process of production is as important for the welfare of society as the product of production. Administration as a shared responsibility, asserting that organizational structures should permit a free interplay of ideas in order to minimize the rigidity of hierarchical structures; but warned that shared responsibility should not be construed as being synonymous with laissez-faire and absence of focal points of reference.

MOTIVATION AND ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOUR

Without human resource, there can be no organization. These human resources are in two categories: Management and Subordinates.
Workers and their needs should be uppermost in the minds of the leadership of any organization. In other words, poor management of human resources in an organization will lead to ineffectiveness or collapse of the organization. The Barnard-Simon theory of motivation recognizes the relationship between the satisfaction by organizations of the needs of workers and the workers productivity. The theory assumes that workers will perform satisfactorily well if their needs are met. The more the needs of workers are satisfied within the organization, the more they are motivated to work and thus satisfy the needs of the organization. To motivate a worker therefore is to propel, impel and energize him into action that will lead eventually to the achievement of organizational goals.
Human resources are the most important assets a modern organization has because only human beings can make, transfer and exercise knowledge. And also only human being s can create the holistic values by planning all the other resources as a whole. So, human beings are the key roles organization, organization should pay more efforts on HRD. Moreover, organizations should conform to the new environment of the strategic plans. And the strategic plans of HRD must relate with the organization's mission and objectives. All in all, people are an organization's most precious resource, so, organization must attach importance to HRD.

References:
http://www.cheathouse.com/essay/essay_view.php?p_essay_id=78887
http://www.blurtit.com/q377061.html
http://en.oboulo.com/the+important+departments+in+an+organization_10\
http://www.articlesbase.com/college-and-university-articles/human-resource-management-and-organizational-behaviour-in-the-university-system-the-registry-experience-236599.html

Last edited by jojimie on Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
amielou.falcon

PostSubject: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:28 am

Razz
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Shiela Marie P. Nara

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:43 am

REFLECT ON THIS:

“Human beings are the most important, potent, and critical resource of any organization and yet the least understood and worst managed.”

Arrow Human Resource is the most important

Human beings are considered as the assets and resource in any organization. Yet, compared to other resources such as physical ones such as the land, equipments and cash, human beings are considered the most important. Just think in a shallow manner, it’s already perceived that all of the other resources would just be useless without the human manipulation in the organization. It is because human beings are the ones responsible for the strategic development of the organization with the use of the other existing resources.

Without human beings, would you still think the concept of organization exists? According to the Webster’s dictionary, organization is simply defined as a number of individuals systematically united for some end of work as a business enterprise, a political party, club, church, etc. Individuals mean the human beings which are also known as the organization men. Organization men are the members of the organization, party, company, etc. who is fully committed to its aims and methods of organization.

“Human resource” is a broad term that refers to “human capital,” the people of an organization. It’s a strategic function that links between talented and engaged people and the organizational success. However the terms “human resources” and “human capital” face the rational controversy. One of the reasons is that these terms may be perceived to as insulting to people because they bring the impressions that people are mere commodities, like equipments and other organizational assets despite the assurances to the contrary.

Another important controversy is the broader philosophical issue with the usage of the phrase “human resources” which is best illustrated in labor mobility. It is said that governments in developing countries often regard developed nations that encourage immigration or “guest workers” as appropriating human capital that is rightfully part of the developing nation and is required to further growth as civilization.

In this matter, modern analysis emphasizes that human beings are not “commodities” or mere “resources”. It is viewed that a strong social consensus on political economy and a good social welfare system facilitates labor mobility and tends to make the entire economy more productive as labor can develop skills and experience in various ways, and move from one enterprise to another with little controversy or difficulty in adapting.

So what is Human Resource Development by the way? Human Resource Development is the framework for the expansion of human capital within an organization. It’s a combination of training and education, in a broad context of adequate health and employment policies, which ensures the continual improvement and growth of the individual, the organization and the national human resourcefulness. Human Resource Development is not a defined object, but a series of organized processes with specific aiming of objectives. (Nadler, 1984)

Arrow Human Resource is the most potent

Every individual in an organization has the ability to develop itself which is a potential in satisfying the organizational goals. The development of the individual will benefit both the individual and the organization. In the corporate vision, the Human Resource Development framework views employees as an asset to the enterprise whose value will be enhanced by the development, “its primary focus is on growth and employee development…it emphasizes developing individual potentials and skills”(Elwood, Olton, Trott 1996). Its objective is to foster human resourcefulness through enlightened and cohesive policies in education, training, health and employment at all levels (JES Lawrence 2000). Human Resource Development in this treatment can be in-room group training, tertiary or vocational courses or mentoring and coaching by the senior employees with the aim for a desired outcome that will develop the individual’s performance.

At the organizational level, a successful Human Resources Development program will prepare the individual to undertake a higher level of work, “organized learning over a given period of time, to provide the possibility of performance change” (Nadler 1984). In these settings, Human Resources Development is the framework that focuses on the organizations competencies at the first stage, training, and then developing the employee, through education, to satisfy the organizations long-term needs and the individuals’ career goals and employee value to their present and future employers. Human Resources Development can be defined simply as developing the most important section of any business its human resource by, “attaining or upgrading the skills and attitudes of employees at all levels in order to maximize the effectiveness of the enterprise” (Kelly 2001).The people within an organization are its human resource. Human Resources Development from a business perspective is not entirely focused on the individual’s growth and development, “development occurs to enhance the organization's value, not solely for individual improvement.

Arrow Human Resource is the most critical

Only human beings have the capability to lead the organization. In nutshell, it is very absurd to think of other physical assets managing their own. Leadership, cohesion and loyalty played an important role in the organizational success. Although this view was increasingly challenged by more quantitatively rigorous and less soft management techniques in 1960s and beyond, Human Resource Development had gained a permanent role inn the organization. It’s very important o assess employee development needs and promotional potentials.

Another reason is that human beings are also decision-makers which affect the organization’s future. Their decisions will greatly influence the organization’s outcome. Wrong decisions may lead to the organization’s collapse while right decisions bring the organization’s success and growth.

Arrow Human Resource is hard to understand

It is a reality that every human individual is unique and always has differences with each other. And it’s very difficult to deal with differences.

For instance,, a certain employee complains that his boss is keep on demanding on the things he should do, to the level that the boss may seem to neglect the employee’s efforts and ideas. Boss’s sometimes have different ideas with the employees. It consequently results to misunderstanding between the senior employees and the employees themselves.

At the organizational level, Human Resource Management (HRM) has the objective to maximize the return on investment from the organization’s human capital and minimize the financial risks. It is the responsibility of the human resource managers to conduct these activities in an effective, legal, fair and consistent manner. It simply implies that managers in the organization is really expecting a lot from their employees as a mean in the success of the organization, be it on the return of the organization’s investment while minimizing the financial risks. There are times that employees can’t reach the expectations of their employers. Also employers can’t meet the demands of the employees. That is why they can’t be easily understood.

Arrow Human Resource is the worst to manage

It is also said that human beings are the most difficult to handle and to manage. They are the ones who can break or puzzle the heads of their senior employees or managers.

There are so many explanations that can answer the statement.
One, it is because of the individual differences. Also, it is because of the personal goals set by certain employees with the organizational goals. It is said that the greatest opponent of an individual is his self and defeating your own enemy also needs a great effort in part of for your self and the manager.

Two, there also individuals that are naturally stubborn, have behavioral abnormalities, inadequacies, have different life aspects that can affect his behavior and performance.

Lastly, human beings are not merely leveled to the other assets of the organization. Assets except people are easy to manage, even if we say, they are also difficult, still they can’t be compared to the level of difficulty in managing people.

The word “management” is a very crucial term especially when it pertains to human beings. It is because of the thought, “Human beings managing human themselves.” To elaborate, the Webster’s dictionary defines management as the act, art or manner of managing, controlling or conducting. It’s a skillful use of means to accomplish a purpose. “Individual development is a toll and means to an end, not the end goal itself” (Elwood F. Holton, James W. Trott Jr.)

Manage is sometimes referred to as control and to use which means that managers are to control the means (human) to accomplish a specific organizational goal. It’s very critical to note the phrase “person being controlled by another person”. It seems that you are like a puppet being controlled by a puppeteer for a certain movement you have to do so that you show (puppet show) would be successful.

Managers on the other hand, have also critical functions for the development of the organization. These are referred to as the Human Resource Management Key Functions which are the following: 1. Recruitment & Selection; 2. Training and Development (People or Organization); 3. Performance Evaluation and Management; 4. Promotions/Transfer; 5. Redundancy; 6. Industrial and Employee Relations; 7. Record keeping of all personal data. ; 8. Compensation, pensions, bonuses etc in liaison with Payroll ;9. Confidential advice to internal 'customers' in relation to problems at work; 10. Career development; 11. Competency Mapping; 12. Time motion study is related to HR Function; 13. Performance Appraisal

flower MY BLOG :

http://shielamariepnara.blogspot.com/2009/08/assignment-7-in-hrm-human-beings-in_27.html</color>

study REFERENCES:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_resources

Last edited by Shiela Marie P. Nara on Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mayraflordurango

PostSubject: HRM_ASSIGNMENT 7   Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:17 am

Human, define as a rational life form and denoted with intellect and will, it’s
not a deny why we are considered as superior and powerful among other living creatures.

Our existence are designed for a special purpose, sent unto the world to complete
a certain part of a prophecy. Either, this prophecy meant to be bad or good, depending on the actual performance of an individual.

It is what unites us all—being human. Yet as technology advances in our culture, it also begins to redefine what it means to be human—and the debate over the definition of life becomes more pressing. The discussion below touches on the aspects of our culture and on all phases of our lives from birth to death, and everything in between.

- "Human beings are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any organization…………if he or she possessed these values.

bounce *Self-acceptance
There are certain things on earth that you are not capable to do and limitations pf what you can do and cannot. Always remember that we are merely invented and programmed in a way we are useful to be.

bounce *Respect

If you want to be respected, then you must respect others right and then you must not ashamed of yourself. We can be worthy enough in what we are standing for the right.

bounce *Choose the right field of specialization

Be a master of a talent which you think are the best suits for you, to improve more your capabilities and competent enough globally.

-and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources”.

On the other hand, human can be a burden among people and its resources. Why?
Facing to the reality, mostly people, specially the youth ones are acting some irregularities that affects tremendously its nature of living and abusiveness within there selves. These foolish things look them a jerk and a walking trash.

So avoid acts that will put negative marks on your existence, or not misuse yourself with virus that could kill your organs and future successions in life, because the worst in yourselves can be the worst on your resources.

......... lol! lol! ..............
Back to top Go down
View user profile
creza_jill_bulacito

PostSubject: Assignment 7   Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:50 am

“Human beings are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any organization, and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources"

Human beings are the most important resource not only on any organization but of course they play a critical role in this planet earth. Humans are the ones who control, manage, plan and organize with their own life. As we all know human beings are also the least understood and the worst managed of its resource because us humans has no certain basis in life and don’t have any consistent feeling in a particular moments or circumstances in our life. We have our own emotions, ideas and many more. It really affects the participation on doing our responsibility.

It is a well known fact that human resources play a crucial role towards differentiation and a potent source of competitiveness for Saturn Corporation. Therefore, Saturn Corporation constantly invests in human resource development even during periods of recession, with the "Quality of Work Life" program as a perfect example. However, the determination of the extent to which Saturn Corporation can invest in terms of the "Quality of Work Life" program depends on its financial capabilities (Ulrich, 2004). Finances are also carefully considered in determining the target for training and development, because it should jive with the basic policies of an organization’s human resource development strategy. The most prominent reason is the organization’s desire to develop a pool of high-valued employees in a variety of approaches solutions and activities. Another reason is the continued expansion and growth of the human resources of rival organizations and companies. This situation all the more puts so much pressure on smaller organizations to strengthen their human resources to ensure efficient operations (Galpin et al. 2002). The third reason is the sudden emergence of unconventional human resource development options. Due to the innovations in modern technology, organizations suddenly became capable of implementing unconventional options for making their pool of human resources more effective and efficient.

The appropriate strategy cannot be the same for each and every organization. Several questions must be taken into consideration when determining the extent of "Quality of Work Life" programs. But more importantly, financial resources and economic factors are critical influences that help determine the appropriate investment strategy and the extent of it. The character of Saturn Corporation, the commitment and attitude of various personnel, and the direction of the organization will help secure a particular investment strategy because most options regarding human resource development strategies depend on the overall direction being pursued by the organization. Human resource planning has traditionally been used by organizations to ensure that the right person is in the right job at the right time. Under past conditions of relative environmental certainty and stability, human resource planning focused on the short term and was dictated largely by line management concerns. Increasing environmental instability, demographic shifts, changes in technology, and heightened international competition are changing the need for and the nature of human resource planning in leading organizations. Planning is increasingly the product of the interaction between line management and planners. In addition, organizations are realizing that in order to adequately address human resource concerns, they must develop long-term as well as short-term solutions. As human resource planners involve themselves in more programs to serve the needs of the business, and even influence the direction of the business, they face new and increased responsibilities and challenges.

In an early treatment of the topic, Vetter (1967) defined human resource planning as the process by which management determines how the organization should move from its current manpower position to its desired position. Through planning, management strives to have the right number and the right kinds of people, at the right places, at the right time, doing things which result in both the organization and the individual receiving maximum long-run benefits. Contemporary human resource planning occurs within the broad context of organizational and strategic business planning. It involves forecasting the organizations future human resource needs and planning for how those needs will be met. It includes establishing objectives and then developing and implementing programs (staffing, appraising, compensating, and training) to ensure that people are available with the appropriate characteristics and
Skills, when and where the organization needs them. It may also involve developing and implementing programs to improve employee performance or to increase employee satisfaction and involvement in order to boost organizational productivity, quality, or innovation (Mills, 1985b). Finally, human resource planning includes gathering data that can be used to evaluate the effectiveness of ongoing programs and inform planners when revisions in their forecasts and programs are needed. Because a major objective of planning is facilitating organizations effectiveness, it must be integrated with the organizations short-term and longer term business objectives and plans. Increasingly this is being done in leading organizations, although in the past business needs usually defined personnel needs and human resource planning, which meant that planning became a reactive process. The reactive nature of the process went hand-in-hand with a short-term orientation. Now, major changes in business, economic, and social environments are creating uncertainties that are forcing organizations to integrate business planning with human resource planning and to adopt a longer term perspective. For example, according to Kathryn Connors, vice president of human resources at Liz Claiborne,Human resources is part of the strategic (business) planning process. Its part of policy development, line extension planning and the merger and acquisition processes. Little is done-in the company that doesn’t involve us in the planning, policy or finalization stages of any deal. (cited in Lawrence, 1989, p. 70) John O’Brien, vice president of human resources at Digital Equipment Corporation, describes an integrated linkage between business and human resource plans as one by which human resource and line managers work jointly to develop business plans and determine human resource needs, analyze the work force profile in terms of future business strategies, review emerging human resource issues, and develop programs to address the issues and support the business plans. According to O’Brien, such joint efforts occur when human resource planners convince corporate business planners that "human resources represent a major competitive advantage ("Planning with People," 1984, p. 7) that can increase profits when managed carefully. This article describes We thank James Walker, two very helpful anonymous reviewers, and the special issue editors for their comments on previous drafts of this article. In addition, we thank Henry A. Goodstein, BMR, Inc., and Donald K. Brush, the Barden Corporation, for permitting us to quote our discussions with them, as well as Donald Laidlaw, the IBM Corporation, and Manuel London, AT T, for their helpful insights. Correspondence concerning this article should be addressed to Susan E.Jackson, Department of Psychology, 6 Washington Place, New York University, New York, NY 10003.Throughout this article we use terms such as business objectives and business needs in a generic sense to refer to the bottom-line criteria against which an organization evaluates its performance. Our intention is to include the criteria considered by all types of employers, regardless of whether they are for-profit organizations.

Factors Underlying Increased Interest in Human Resource Planning Undoubtedly, there are many factors that account for the increased attention directed to human resource planning, but environmental forces globalization, new technologies, economic conditions, and a changing work force seem particularly potent (Dumaine, 1989; Dyer Heyer, 1984; Greenhalgh, McKersie, Gilkey, 1986). These create complexity and uncertainty for organizations. Uncertainty can interfere with efficient operations, so organizations typically attempt to reduce its impact; formal planning is one common tactic used by organizations to buffer themselves from environmental uncertainty (Thompson, 1967). The changing characteristics of the work force, which is but one important environmental factor, make the need for planning evident. Between 1976 and 1980, the labor force grew an average of 2.8%, but between 1991 and 1995, the rate of growth will drop to 1.1 %. Additionally, whereas more than 3 million people joined the labor force in 1978, less than 2 million people are projected to enter the labor force each year from 1987 to 1995. Comparatively, the proportion of younger people (aged 16 to 24) and older people (aged 55 and over) in the work force will decline. People aged 25 to 54 will constitute a greater percentage of the labor force, increasing from 61% in 1975 to 73% in 1995. The number of mothers in the work force with children under one year old increased from 42% in 1980 to 55% in 1989. The ethnic mix of the labor force is also changing. The Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates that ethnic minorities will account for 57% of the growth in the labor force between now and the year 2000. Of the approximately 25 million
workers added to the work force between 1985 and 2000, 42% are expected to be native White women and only 15% are expected to be native White men. Fully 22% are expected to be immigrants (Glickman, 1982; Johnston Packer, 1987; "Managing Now," 1988; "Needed," 1988; Nelton, 1988).

REFERENCES:

http://ivythesis.typepad.com/term_paper_topics/2008/09/saturn-corporat.html

http://74.6.146.127/search/cache?ei=UTF-8&p=Human+beings++most+important%2C+potent+and+critical%2C+resource+of+any+organization&y=Search&rd=r1&meta=vc%3Dph&fr=yfp-t-153&fp_ip=PH&u=www.rci.rutgers.edu/%7Esjacksox/PDF/HRPlanning.pdf&w=human+beings+being+most+important+potent+critical+resource+resources+organization+organizations&d=YBmvqBlMTSCe&icp=1&.intl=us

pls visit my blog...http://rs-crezaharu.blogspot.com/ lol! bounce Laughing

Last edited by creza_jill on Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowell_pines

PostSubject: HUMAN BEINGS * ORGANIZATION * UNDERSTANDING * MANAGING   Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:07 pm

“Human beings are the most important, potent, and critical resource of any organization and yet the least understood and worst managed.”

EQUALITY:

The statement above strikes my understanding about life. In organization the main ingredients to success is us humans, indeed, we've done all the jobs in a specific company, not in terms in technology factors like machine, but most important, we cooperate to the COMPANY itself.

Equality in its wider sense, as in the definition of equal opportunities in the Scotland Act 1998, encompasses gender, race, disability, sexual orientation and also individuals and groups facing discrimination on the grounds of age, language or social origin, or of other personal attributes, including beliefs or opinions, such as religious belief or political opinion. Mainstreaming equality should ensure that all opportunities are genuinely available and accessible to all potential participants and that current initiatives do not have a negative impact on any disadvantaged groups.

Voluntary organisations have always been in the vanguard of efforts to promote equality and human rights in Britain and throughout the world. In providing a voice to disadvantaged groups, the third sector has been responsible for major advances in policy and practice in reducing discrimination on grounds of race, gender, sexuality, religion, age and disability. However, much remains to be done in Scotland to challenge persistent discrimination and the voluntary sector can do more in this role. SCVO’s Policy Committee has consistently prioritised the promotion of equality and human rights as a sector responsibility.

Voluntary organisations can be large employers and service providers in their own right, and need to be supported in maintaining best practice in their operations. The implementation of the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) into Scottish law represents a series of new challenges to voluntary organisations, which in European legal terms are ‘public bodies’ and therefore covered by the law. There is a need for information and education for public bodies of all kinds, in particular voluntary organisations, in respect of ECHR developments. This represents an area of expertise not previously provided for the sector.

The Scottish Executive adopted best practice in its approach to Equality Strategy by adopting a ‘mainstreaming’ approach and appointing an Executive Unit to help implementation across the various policy departments of Scottish government. The advantages of such an approach – maximising efforts to challenge aspects of discrimination regardless of form – are also being recognised in the voluntary sector. However, the benefits of maintaining distinct structures and programmes of work for each area of discrimination are also valued. This calls for a coordinated but not unduly prescriptive approach to promoting equalities and implies a key role for voluntary sector infrastructure bodies.

SCVO is working within its own structures and with key bodies to increase the coordination of equalities and human rights work across the Scottish voluntary sector, and in conjunction with other sectors. This website aims to give voluntary organisations the tools they need to promote equality.

Why at least understood?

This is also a part of the EQUALITY, people in organizations, actually had there specific task to perform, they may differ in standings, maybe in position or mainly in difference with there salary at any matter. It explains that, humans in nature are also unique itself, therefore SELFISHNESS also occur, in connection to the organizations, if an individual is assign only to fired an unworthy employee, it focuses on that, and the all the others related to it, what I am trying to say is that, an INDIVIDUAL only function accordingly of what his/her task is, affecting to this thought, UNDERSTANDING cant easily be applied. Understanding ones nature is the second hardest part after the understanding in OWN SELF, It needs a broad perception about life and a wide collaboration in nature. But, this only can be introduce outside the world of BUSINESS ORGANIZATIONS and all the other forms of it. Because in real scenario, actually humans " IN THERE " are considered as machines, workers, and even slaves in some, just to obtain ones good, so affects the others side. We humans, are being least understood in ORGANIZATIONS, because they actually look at the BUSINESS side of UNDERSTANDING people. They forgot the true essence of ORGANIZATIONS which is " to act as one ". In connection with this in HRM, through these process, Companies, now decrease this negative factors, they trying to imposed the the term EQUALITY to each human INSIDE the ORGANIZATION.

Why worst to manage?

Considering the fact that we humans, are the most intellectual creatures on earth, it's just reflect that ones may perform better than the other, and ones remains in average stage. By this idea, MANAGING people, in an ORGANIZATION to be specific, is quite hard to imagine, the fact UNIQUENESS matters, therefore understanding ones mind is such a damn thing to perform. Applying the principle of UNIQUENESS, in managing it, the MANAGER should have the ideas of millions for a single action. The MANAGER I am talking is the HRM department, the one that manages the people inside an ORGANIZATION. See, HRM actually is a department of a company, it is composed of a number of people practicing to manage a group of people or even the whole employee in an ORGANIZATION just to gain harmony in their COMPANY. Managing controls the workers to perform well, and UNDERSTANDING is one key of performing it.

References: http://www.scvo.org.uk/equalities/what_is_equality/index.htm
rowell pines perception
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vanthegreat.blogspot.com
Alfredo V. Ala-an

PostSubject: ASSIGNMENT 7   Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:01 am

"Human beings are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any organization, and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources" (1500words)

Wow..I think this is a great reflection to make and a very critical to think with this topic. Laughing

So to begin with,First I'll discuss it one by one to make it clear and at the bottom is my outline on how i discuss the subtopics.

*Why Humans are the most important in an organization?
*Why Humans are the most critical in an organization?
*why Humans are the most resource in an organization?
*Why Humans are least understood in an organization?
*Why Humans are the worst to manage of its resources in an organization?

Why Humans are the most important in an organization?

As a Human Resources professional, I like to explain this importance in car terms so that it's simple for anyone to understand.

The board of directors or senior managers make descisions about where they want the car (or organisation) to head, and how they would like this to happen (timeframes, route etc.).

The staff are the tyres and pistons - the working parts, and just like a car, the organisation goes nowhere if these parts are not oiled correctly.

In any organisation HRM works between staff and management to reach common goals and achieve a good workplace environment and an instant increase in producativity.

Of course this will only occur in organisations who's HR branch are given powers beyond payroll, like planning and consultitive arrangements.

Why Humans are the most critical in an organization?

Employee engagement is a critical issue for organizations today. It was identified as the number one strategy that organizations are pursuing in 2009, according to Aberdeen’s report The 2009 HR Executive’s Agenda. In addition, Aberdeen’s January 2009 study, Fully On-Board, found that Best-in-Class organizations are overwhelmingly focusing onboarding processes on engaging new employees and assimilating them into the organization's cultural and social fabric.

Aberdeen’s latest research, Beyond Satisfaction: Engaging Employees to Retain Customers, looks at how organizations are addressing engagement issues, and describes how Best-in-Class companies are achieving impressive results.

* 82% of Best-in-Class organizations attribute changes in profitability and/or revenue DIRECTLY to employee engagement initiatives and more than twice as likely as all others to validate that impact through data
* Best-in-Class organizations are 33% more likely to provide engagement training and tools to their managers than all other organizations
* Best-in-Class companies are also seeing a 22% year-over-year improvement in customer satisfaction / loyalty and a 21% year-over-year improvement in turnover / retention

To create an engaging environment, organizations must understand how to engage individuals with the overarching goals of the organization - not just create an environment where employees feel satisfied that their personal needs are being met. In fact, this linkage to activities that delver business results is what differentiates employee engagement from employee satisfaction. Satisfaction could indicate that an individual is happy their paycheck comes on time, or that their schedule doesn't interfere with their weekend plans. It doesn't necessarily reflect any connection with the priorities of the organization. To achieve this alignment, employee engagement efforts must be managed and measured in terms of business impact, and organizations must create an engagement mindset among all leaders and managers.

http://research.aberdeen.com/index.php/analyst-insight/86-human-capital-management-insights/754-employee-engagement-is-critical-for-organizations-today-

why Humans are the most resource in an organization?

How Human Resources can Resource Humans.

Despite our best intentions so much of what we practice in Human Resources, including training and development, does little more than reinforce that the organisation views its people as resources first and humans a distant second. Humans are analyzed, measured and evaluated as a resource, rather than as human beings with lives personalities, wants, desires and feelings.

We regularly talk of our people as categories ' the sales people' or 'Our middle managers' or we talk of them in terms of numbers and statistics, ' 45% of our people are engaged with their work.' "We now have a staff moral average of 83%'. We measure and review our people as averages, on everything from the levels of engagement and moral, through analysis of learning needs, to tracking our staff turnover figures, as percentages of the whole.

These numbers and averages are, of course, useful in terms of identifying trends that are emerging or transpiring within our business. However, the danger is that by placing too much emphasis (and faith) in the averages and percentages we inadvertently begin to think of and treat our people as EVERBODY rather than SOMEBODY! The down side of focusing too extensively on averages is that we can easily misinterpret the reality of the situation. People do not experience averages, they experience specifics and extremes and variances!
People experience specifics rather than averages because of course, we are all unique with unique perspectives and experiences, even in a common environment. However even though we all know and readily accept that we are all different it seems repeatedly in HR and training we do not necessarily act accordingly. We seem to regularly forget ( or are forced by circumstances and time restrictions) that what we are really talking about are individuals with specific needs desires and wants.
Even such current and popular frames of references as the emphasis on understanding the Generation Y phenomenon, tends to ensure companies begin to fall into the trap of generalizing the individuality and uniqueness out of the way they view and relate to people.

When Human Resources get too caught up with the numbers and averages we live up to our name as viewing people as resources by balancing our approach we can invert this phenomenon and begin to dedicate ourselves to Resourcing Humans. After fifteen years of working with people and organisations as corporate anthropologists we have found that organisations that engage and retain their people with the least amount of cost are more focused on resourcing their humans than treating them as human resources. So what's an alternative?
Well one approach that definitely works and has numerous merits is working with values. Using a comprehensive values approach organisations can support themselves and their people to identify and work with the specific values of individuals in an effort to align them with peoples work roles the company values and even the company strategy and culture.
Research of over ten thousand personal values inventories (drawing from the globally validated pool of 128 human values) for people in organisations, in Australia and New Zealand demonstrates that no two people have ever had an identical set of values. We define person's values as their preferences multiplied by the priority they place on each preference. When a person has clarified their preferences and the priority associated with each preference they create for themselves a personal values hierarchy.
When companies understand that each and every one of us are driven by and motivated from own unique personal values hierarchy then they are able to immediately create a language and process for supporting humans to become acknowledged as a SOMEBODY distinct and separate from others.
Organisations that support their people to clarify their own personal values and then work to align those values with their work role benefit enormously. The people feel that the organisation is acknowledging and celebrating their individuality and uniqueness.

Values alignment to a work role is also the key to supporting your people to establish in very specific and personal terms what is making work meaningful for them. It identifies what specifically is driving their motivation to work, perform and even excel, all of which is unlikely to emerge from averages…It will also make sure that learning and development can be focused on skills rather than trying to cover up issues of personal alignment and mismatched priorities.

Insights and understanding of people personal values in alignment to their chosen work results in increased engagement and the unleashing of discretionary effort. Discretionary effort, in turn has a direct impact on people work performance and their decision to stay in a role (retention).

For a simple quick and effective way of enhancing your HR approach to resource humans then supporting your people to clarify their personal values and align them to their role will take you and them a long way down this path.

http://www.evancarmichael.com/Human-Resources/818/How-Human-Resources-can-Resource-Humans.html

Why Humans are least understood in an organization?
because of:
Competence is shown in action in a situation in a context that might be different the next time you have to act. In emergency contexts, competent people will react to the situation following behaviors they have previously found to succeed, hopefully to good effect. To be competent you need to be able to interpret the situation in the context and to have a repertoire of possible actions to take and have trained in the possible actions in the repertoire, if this is relevant. Regardless of training, competence grows through experience and the extent of an individual to learn and adapt. However, there has been much discussion among academics about the issue of definitions. The concept of competence has different meanings, and continues to remain one of the most diffuse terms in the management development sector, and the organizational and occupational literature (Collin, 1989).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Competence_(human_resources)

Why Humans are the worst to manage of its resources in an organization?

EMPLOYEE TRUST – WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU FEAR THE WORST

Have you ever asked yourself; “Is this employee being upfront and honest with me?” We may have a gut feeling or something maybe does not size up, yet we have no concrete evidence of deceit. This is a difficult situation as the repercussions of falsely accusing an employee may hinder a future of trust.

It seems sometimes as managers of employees that we have to cultivate a sixth sense in order to know what is happening behind the scenes with certain individuals or groups of individuals within our organizations. And for those of us who have that sixth sense….it can be a benefit and a curse. The benefit being that we can sense an issue and hopefully prevent it from growing into a problem. The curse is that we can sense a problem and then we have to deal with it. And if we don’t act on that sense and deal with it, we kick ourselves later!

Experience typically shows that it is not advisable to ignore our sixth sense. When we ignore our senses or question our feelings, the doubt sets in and then we question our own abilities to know when something is not correct. This almost always backfires.

So what to do. First I will share what not to do. And that, my friend, is to not ignore the problem. Begin documentation. Not later, NOW. A sense of something not being quite right can come and go and be easily forgotten. Example: You discover an employee has not been completing assignments as expected. You think about this discovery and you recall a sense of this a while back ….and maybe more than one time. Darn it, why didn’t you act on it at that moment? Perhaps you could have resolved this situation before it became a problem.

More of what to do. Step back. What if you would have documented this situation the moment you felt that gut reaction. A suggestion would be to have a private file on our PC or better yet a handy notebook (yes people still use these). Keep a notebook that is easy to get to. Jot down occurrences on scrap paper and move that information to the PC file or notebook. We must bring ourselves to be in the habit of noting things as they happen.

Now you can take action. When confronting an employee, one of the most important rules to follow is to focus on facts. A good measure to determine between what is truly factual and what is not is to ask yourself if the “fact” can be argued. If it can be argued, it is not a fact. Facts make for easier and honest communications. Facts will support you well in court. Example of a non-factual confrontation: “Joe, you are constantly coming into work late and signing in that you are arriving on time.” Example of a factual approach: “Joe, over the last 4 weeks I personally witnessed you arriving 15-20 minutes late on 4 occasions. These occurrences were on each of the last 4 Mondays. When I reviewed your timecard it shows that you are arriving on time.”

There are some efforts that we can take to decrease these types of occurrences. This includes taking some time to observe our employees’ behaviors more often. Spend time around them and listen; listen well. Sometimes by just taking the time to truly hear our employees we will prevent the bitterness that is often the result of dishonest behavior or even retaliation. As a next step we may choose to learn more about our employees’ needs. This can come in the form of simply asking, performing an employee survey or forming task groups to identify issues within our organization. Perhaps we will discover that training is needed. In some cases when employees are more confident in their work performance they will be less likely to act out or be dishonest. Assure that there is a real sense of the ability to openly communicate within our organizations. These are ideas that can work well in any size organization and across all industries.

It comes more naturally to some, but learn to listen to that sixth sense. Our senses grow as a result of years of various types of life and work experiences. Our instincts are a highly valuable resource right up there with our degree, diploma, and work experience and work history. Arguably they may be worth much more. By learning to trust our senses and value what we have learned, we will support ourselves and our organizations by utilizing all of the skills we have to offer.

http://www.evancarmichael.com/Human-Resources/3504/EMPLOYEE-TRUST--WHAT-TO-DO-WHEN-YOU-FEAR-THE-WORST.html

Last edited by Alfredo V. Ala-an on Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sheila Capacillo

PostSubject: assignment 7   Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:37 am

Idea Idea Idea

Due to the fast changing status of our technology, some organizations as of now are dependent to computers. The existence of a human is vital to overall productivity and efficiency of the strong workforce in any thriving company. In most professional organizations, the role of the human resources department is not sidelined or eclipsed by other departments. In fact, good human resources can be one of the most valued and respected departments in an organization; their job is people, and people are the company's most important asset.
To broadly understand the importance of human beings in an organization, let me give you a brief and concise meaning of what human is:
It is important to understand what we are as human beings. The present state of knowledge of the human being is one which has been informed by the materialistic reductionist thinking of modern technological science. It is commonplace for people generally to think of the human body as being merely an elaborate machine, with all the non-material aspects of the human being- thinking, feeling, attitudes, emotions, mores, imagination, etc., etc, as being merely the result of the physico-chemical activities which take place in the physical body. However, the human organism is not a machine and does not operate under the aegis of chemical and physical laws
IMPORTANCE -implies a value judgment of the superior worth or influence of something or someone.
Potent-powerful, having or exercising great power or influence.

Reflection on the statement:

We can say that "Human beings are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any organization, and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources" because without human technology would be useful. They are the most important in an organization because it is the human who involves their self in different transactions in the society. In an organization, human beings are the basic component of it. They are also called the critical ones because if human beings are lost or does not exist or agreed in one aim and if there is no unity between them the organization will fall.
From those reflection we come up with a conclusion that an organization would be senseless and useful without the help of the human beings like us.
http://www.alchemycalpages.com/human.html

wanna visit my blog??
http://shecapacillo.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Sheila Capacillo on Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kristine_delatorre

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:18 pm

Human beings according to science are highly-intellectual or the first class animal in the animal kingdom. Humans have their own capacity to think and survived in their own ways.

From the day God created man, he has given man an authority to take good care of earth. God gives humans the ability to do things which they ought to do in a given situation. Man, has its brain to process information which they acquired from their environment. The man's capability to survive through life's struggles, the freedom to choose which is right and unrightful, the will to do things are only some capabilities of Human that God, the father has entrusted.

Society is universal among human. For ages, it has performed ,major adaptive functions that have increased the chances of human survival. Man are automatically belong into a society. It is a perception from birth. As society in which it is composed of heterogeneous men in nature. Social interaction, or the responses of individuals to each other, is perhaps the basic sociological concept, because such interaction is the elementary component of all relationships and groups that make up human society.

In human society, members are mutually interdependent to an extent not true to any nonhuman society. Every society is organized in such a way that there are rules of conducts, customs, traditions,folkways and mores and expectations that ensure appropriate behavior among members. This process inculcates into all humans or member in the early stages of life .These standards of behavior are never exactly the same from one society to another.

The existence of the organization in the society is constant. As the society develops in the new era under the information age, organizations play a vital role of human socialization. Socialization take part as the human's key to survival. Since each individuals possess power in an organization, such clash of human interest and ideas are unavoidable. In this information age, hence humans are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any organizations because of the following reasons:

1. Human provides new and up to date ideas. As technology changes humans find better alternatives to coup with the demand. Better and new ideas that will help to uplift the quality of life. In an organization, an idea of one person is different among the others. Which it may find difficult to handle when none of them accept defeat. That is why in an organization, Human resource personnel takes an action to lessen the possibility of conflict.

2. Human thinks with emotions. Unlike machine, human do things in accordance to their will and emotion. Humans have feelings -- sad, happy, hurt. While machines, are programmed to do specific tasks with accordance to its artificial intelligence. It is important to the Humans to consider their feelings. Some when strike with problems are even harder to be dealt because their emotions affect their actions. In an organization, when a personnel is discourage, he cannot work well. If he is inspired and praised, he do his job well.

3. Human beings has the capability to response. Human response to its environment. Since human has the ability to adapt to its environment, he can also reason out his will in relation to what he saw, feel and understand. For example, when you are hurt because of the bad accusations to your work or actions, you response with anxiety or sadness or maybe sometimes hate.

4. Human beings are competitive in nature. Individuals or group confine their conflict within agreed-upon rules. Therefore, competition within society forces man to think broad and better than his co-competitor. This is a world of race, the one of handles the information is more powerful. When you think better than the other, you acquire more advantage.

5. Human society will always have conflict. In cooperative interaction among human, people join forces to achieve a common goal. By contrast, people in conflict struggle with one another for some commonly prized object or value. In a conflict relationship, a person can gain only at someone else's expense. Conflict arises when people or group in an organization have incompatible values or when the rewards or resources available to a society or its member are limited. Thus, conflict always involves an attempt to gain or use power.

6. Human beings cooperates with each other. HUman act together to promote common interests or achieved shared goals. Teamwork is a simple example , exhibits how everyone cooperates for the interest of many.

7. Humans are vital player in this computer - generation. Without Humans, machines cannot do their work alone. Human beings still provides intelligence to machines. Though human use machines to acquire knowledge, still machine are useless without human because they are inter-dependent. In an organization, human possess different stimuli that could sometimes results to unavoidable scenarios like conflict and competition. Simply because humans think. It is a gift from God that is the most essential power of men to machine.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://kjdelatorre.blogspot.com/
sharlyn joy pines

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:28 pm

The Human Being

It is commonplace for people generally to think of the human body as being merely an elaborate machine, with all the non-material aspects of the human being- thinking, feeling, attitudes, emotions, mores, imagination, etc., etc, as being merely the result of the physico-chemical activities which take place in the physical body. However, the human organism is not a machine and does not operate under the aegis of chemical and physical laws.

Human beings are the most important…

Among any other creation of God, human being is the most important. It’s because human beings are one, merely one, of the many living beings that originated in a long and complicated process of evolution despite the fact that many philosophical and religious arguments have been constructed to ideologically underpin the idea that human beings are the focus and goal of the cosmos and of cosmic evolution. It is important to understand what we are as human beings. Amongst living beings, humans enjoy great abilities and capacities. We are special and precious and there’s no other around the universe that can compare to our uniqueness. The present state of knowledge of the human being is one which has been informed by the materialistic thinking of modern technological science.

Manpower is the most important because human is the heart of an organization. In the first place, there are no existing tangibles without the presence of humanity. Despite the age of technology, human is the core of all the activities that has taken place in an organization. Organization composed of individuals and these individuals are human individuals who addressed the status and put life to an organization.

…potent and critical resource…

Yes! Human beings are he wielding power of an organization. Among any other assets, human being is the only one that is incomparable. There’s no other like that could give beyond what the human can. And most critical, yes!Because human has its limitations. We get tired, we need rest, we need water, food and shelter. Humans are critical because we can be sick and died if we overused our body. We are critical because once we are broken; we cannot be fixed like a machine. Once we are destroyed, we cannot be replaced. We are critical because we need much attention and human need cares and understanding among any other resources of an organization.

Yet, human beings are the least understood and worst managed…

Sometimes our differences and pride has overcome our senses and it could create judgment, opinions, doubts and even lost of trust.

http://jacqueshaers.wordpress.com/2008/09/06/human-beings-are-we-important/#comment-812

Please click here for my BLOG: http://sharlynjoypines.blogspot.com

still needs improvement...

Last edited by sharlyn joy pines on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
neil rey c. niere

PostSubject: Assignment 7   Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:29 pm

Make a reflection on this statement .

Human being is the most central or essential of association because they are responsible for the intentional progress of the organization with the help of the other resources.

The Human Truth

In the world of the one great spirit there is no such thing as a single human being for here all humans are all one; we are all enjoined in our spirit being human. In the world we call Earth the human spirit becomes the many minds. The individualized self then strives for identity on several levels: individual, family, community, national, planetary. These points of identity represent the level of purpose that guides the actions of the individual. All levels are necessary for the health of the individual. Thereby the broader a person's world view, the higher one's purpose and the truer the humanness of the spirit being human.
The native peoples have been under attack the last several centuries from the technocratic society. The opportunity in these battles technology is the mingling of the one-hearted and two-hearted peoples. Thoughts and ideas are being exchanged. But this exchange does not have to be made a war; it does not have to be made with Evil battling Good. This exchange can have far more finesse than this. Humans can make this exchange what they want. The Peace Corps or World WarIII the choice is ours. The struggle for a higher level of purpose exists in the constant struggle between good and evil within the human mind and within the human society. The quest for good empowers the spirit while the agenda for evil drains the life force out of the spirit. On the other hand, to relinquish one's thoughts, power, salvation and redemption to an idol, person or idealogy that is outside of one's self results in separating the individual from the rest of life and leaves the soul empty and the mind vulnerable to evil.

Human resource is a term used to refer to how people are managed by organizations.

Human beings has the ability to think, analyze and understand.

Every employee wants to feel as if they are working on the right things - tasks that matter in the larger scheme of their organization. This is so important to employees that failure to provide clear direction is the number one failing of a bad boss. Along with bullying behaviors, the themes of poor direction, little feedback, clueless behavior, and failure to reward and recognize employees are frequently the focus of readers' stories about their bad bosses.

Leaders and managers need to have:

• The capacity to accurately forecast human resource needs in order to deliver services to the public;
• A workforce whose training and education are consistent with client needs and with the management needs of their programs;
• The ability to assign staff to the geographic areas where they are needed;
• Positive relationships with union officials;
• A workforce amenable to change in the workplace.

In the process of working with some of the best run companies in the world, we have learned a great deal about how the world's finest organizations unleash the power of their human systems and how the worst fail to do so.

Human Resource is the most important:

A comprehensive human resource system provides managers with a framework and tools to achieve higher levels of staff performance and employee satisfaction on a systematic and sustainable basis. At the national level, this involves developing health-sector strategies, policies, and practices to ensure a workforce that is balanced in numbers of staff, qualifications, and placement. The term human capital is recognition that people in organizations and businesses are an important and essential asset who contributes to development and growth, in a similar way as physical assets such as machines and money. The collective attitudes, skills and abilities of people contribute to organizational performance and productivity. Any expenditure in training, development, health and support is an investment, not just an expense.
Human Being is the most potent

Each individual in an organization has the ability to expand, in a way of satisfying the organizational purpose. The progress of each individual will promote the individual and the organization. At the organizational level, a successful Human Resources Development program will prepare the individual to undertake a higher level of work, “organized learning over a given period of time, to provide the possibility of performance change” (Nadler 1984). In these settings, Human Resources Development is the framework that focuses on the organizations competencies at the first stage, training, and then developing the employee, through education, to satisfy the organizations long-term needs and the individuals’ career goals and employee value to their present and future employers. Human Resources Development can be defined simply as developing the most important section of any business its human resource by, “attaining or upgrading the skills and attitudes of employees at all levels in order to maximize the effectiveness of the enterprise” (Kelly 2001).

Human Resource is the most critical

Human Resource is a factor that has become part of the very essence of modern business and development, among other important factors. It is the combination of traditionally administrative personnel functions with the acquisition and application of skills, knowledge and experience; the base of this great asset is quite naturally, people.

If competitive advantage is to be defined as something that sets a business and its product apart from the rest, it can be argued that technology and marketing, rather than Human Resources per say, are highly important factors that would determine the uniqueness of the quality of an organisation's product. However, technology and marketing, though initially of quality that is decided by a company's financial status, can in fact only be innovated and developed by Human Resources.
A critical factor is one that implicates it possesses the ability to change the course of ordinary company processes depending on its absence or presence. Despite the fact that a combination of many resources are necessary in order for a system, project or organization to work, it is an undeniable fact that Human Resources have been, or most often still are, an integral part of almost every one of those resources.

Yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources

They have an individual sense to make their own decision and conclusion. Human beings share similarities but think differently. Human beings hunger for power and pursue it whatever the cost. We make more laws but lawlessness increases. Human beings strive to eliminate hunger, poverty, crime, violence, and suffering by writing more laws designed to solve them but they usually fail in their purpose. Personality is defined as the enduring personal characteristics of individuals. The more laws created, the more atrocities are committed by human beings. Human beings hate to be corrected. We think that we can do everything right in our own eyes. We shun anyone who wants to get in the way. We fight and show our ugly side. We do anything just to prove the other person that we are right even if we are wrong. You have to understand each personality. All of us have a unique mind. Especially in the company, each one of the members has different views and opinion when they are discussing some important matters that will tend to be misunderstood that is why it is hard to manage. An individual's personality is an aggregate conglomeration of decisions we've made throughout our lives.

Human resources management trends and influences

In organizations, it is important to determine both current and future organisational requirements for both core employees and the contingent workforce in terms of their skills/technical abilities, competencies, flexibility etc. The analysis requires consideration of the internal and external factors that can have an effect on the resourcing, development, motivation and retention of employees and other workers. The external factors are those largely out-with the control of the organization and include issues such as the economic climate, current and future trends of the labor market e.g. skills, education level, government investment into industries etc. On the other hand internal influences are broadly within the control of the organization to predict determine and monitor, for example the organizational culture underpinned by management behaviours (or style), environmental climate and the approach to ethical and corporate social responsibilities.

http://www.sundayobserver.lk/2009/05/31/fin11.asp

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/72313_how-to-understand-human-nature

my blog: http://neilreyniere.blogspot.com/

cat Very Happy

Last edited by neil rey c. niere on Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Stihl Lhyn Samonte

PostSubject: HRM Assignment 7   Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:47 pm

"Human beings are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any organization, and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources"

Many organizations profess to consider their employees their most important asset but all too often their policies, procedures and managerial practices contradict that view. Such contradictions and out-dated management practices inhibit improvements in productivity, sap motivation and reduce profit margins.
Managerial practices must keep pace with the changing workforce. The workforce of today is better educate and its value systems, career expectations, and basic work habits are drastically different from those of the previous generation. Unfortunately many managers have not changed their style to meet their needs.

Human beings are the most IMPORTANT…….
Because, they are the real assets of an organization. Human has the great ideas in terms of good choice. They are central or the heart of organization, without them the company is hopeless. If treated well, they can take organizations to commanding heights. Human will make an organization most effective in its goals and objectives.. For any business these days, scaling the heights of success is not always an easy task. This is because today's corporate world has become extremely complex and intricate. For any business to succeed nowadays it is very important that the organization's employees play a key role. This does not only refer to employees doing the best job possible, but it also means that every employee must be right for the job that they are doing. What this translates into is that every employee who is working at his or her own position is the best possible candidate for that job. So that human beings give important role in organization and give life in a company.

Human beings are the most POTENT…….
Because every human has the unique ability to produce a good quality services. For any business to achieve, its objectives that they must plan their resources and one of their key resources is human. They need to get the right people and develop them well in order to meet the organization’s aims successfully. And they could be able to produce high level techniques in terms of first-class conclusion.
Indeed, the intelligence of the human can be likened to the performance of individual employees, as the move through the workforce is an important task, which has helped human resources, work out key solutions to inefficiency. In terms of planning it helps determine futures needs. The Human beings function provides significant support and advice to line management. The attraction, preservation and development of high caliber people are a source of competitive advantage for our business, and are the responsibility of HR.

Human beings are the most CRITICAL…….
Because, I believe that only human beings have the ability to guide the organization. They are the backbone in company, so that without them the organization became weak and unsuccessful. Human beings are very important if they where departed, the company will be down and unsuccessful. And only human beings have the potential to lead the organization. Humans give benefits of the company and also the community and to be able to judge and suppress.

Human beings are hard to UNDERSTAND……
Because, human beings have an individual sensation to make their judgment and decision making. Human is the most intellectual creature in the world, they can’t simply understand what they think because they have unique idea in terms of opinion and understanding in one situation.

Human beings are the WORST to manage…..
Because, Humans are smart thinker and they have individual distinction. In some reasons humans are the worst to manage because humans have own ideas and understanding. In some information, humans have own feelings and expressions to make their own choice without managing in different things. By organizing is one way to direct them in a right direction in terms of good decisions.

mY bLog: http://stihlyn.blogspot.com/http://stihlyn.blogspot.com/

Last edited by stihlyn on Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ariel Serenado

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:00 pm

“Human beings are the most important, potent and critical resource of any organization, and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources”

When refer a person to be potent it simply means effective and efficient as to the field that one is involved. Human being involvement regardless of the position has been noted a vital resource of the success of a certain company. Human has been working hand-in-hand with the upper sectors on the community; they are the most reliable resource as far as labor is concerned. Despite some facts about the effectiveness, still there appear to have weaknesses that can be associated to a person, as the line above says, “… and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources”.

Actually, I had the hard time comprehending the line, for I cannot sight any possibilities why it is so. For me to be able to understand the line I divided the line into two. First half, I will have to discuss why human beings are the most important, potent and critical resource in any organization. Second, I will be discussing why human beings are referred to be the least understood and the worst managed of its resources. One of the implications of the first half is human being as the important resource in any organization. This is because there are certain things that human act which serves as contributing factors to the development of the organization. It is often referred as the Planning and Strategy Formation Role in which it has created the need for people to become aggressive. This is because the access to strong distribution channels is critical for their continued popularity. This planning and strategy formation comprises the following:

1. Decision-making Role

Upon arriving at the correct decision or choice, human now gains confidence in his/her ability to make critical decisions or choices especially when his/her integrity is in the line. Thus, this human resource professional will now search fro even more challenges and opportunities where he/she could further enhance his/her decision-making abilities regarding current human resource issues.

2. Analytical Role

Through the exposure to various puzzling human resource issues, human along the process is able to develop holistic mindset regarding the issues surrounding him/her. In this practice it enhances a healthy and holistic mindset which makes it difficult to the detractors to give influence. Because of this holistic approach, a person is able to effectively select the right choice and continue to maximize this potential for future use.

There are also innate characteristics of human beings that if managed and honed up effectively will really contribute positively to the organization. These include the following:

1. Mental Stability

If a person has a stable mental aspect then he is effective in the pursuit of correct decision as well as the management and development of the process accompanying it. It is therefore important to a person to be as stable as he/she must be for he/she should remain updated with the latest developments in all issues.

2. Performance and Credibility

The production of their best human resource outputs comes as a result of a well-funded research management and development activities. The strong performance of a person and their outputs could also be linked to the effective strategic planning and human resource mobilization. Thus, human’s credibility increases as his/he performance becomes better.

Those are the things that justify how important and how a human being can be an effective or potent resource in any of the organization. Besides, JUDGMENT still remain as human’s innate trait which cannot be replaced by any form of technology regardless how efficient the innovation is. Another implication is human being referred a critical resource of any organization, this is because, human is the most flexible. It is the least constrained among the various resources to which a company has access. If we are to compare human to machines as to the state of being critical, machine has limits. One of the most common things that can be associated with the situation is a calculator; a calculator calculates operations faster but can only do what someone precisely tells it to do. It has no autonomy, or the sense of having self-government. Another thins that makes human critical is that human is extremely adaptable and is extremely pliable. If this is so then human may encounter various challenges since being pliable would mean susceptible with any unwanted constraints that may occur as one adapt to a certain environment. Despite the constraints, by being pliant human will be capable for performing well-defined and predefined planned scales but also of something more important.

Furthermore, the human resource approach focuses on the relationship between organizations and people. In this framework, people are the most critical resource in an organization exists to serve human needs instead of human existing to serve organizational needs. Topic central to self-concept of an organization include motivation, attitudes, participation, and framework. As a result, an organization is a permanent arrangement of social elements with a formal structure. The organizational members do not only pursue factual goals but also personal interests (e.g. career, power, and continuous education). If we say, “the hospital is an organization” we emphasize the fact that people in organization try to satisfy different needs and motives however there are still cases that appear in which people in an organization encounters conflict in terms of their goals—organizational goals and personal goals. This scenario really makes human as critical for there appear to have conflicts of the goals for in cannot be denied that there are a number of people in an organization who are really pursuing their personal goals such as, having promotions.

Human as the least understood resource in the organization.

Some people of the higher office of any organization still find instances that human is the least understood in their environment. In cannot be denied that human are of different characteristics, some traits can be managed along the way but some are hard to cope with. There are really cases which mislead the understanding towards human which is really visible in an organization, because not all are aware of intrinsic differences. It should be taken into account that human think differently, make distinct decisions, and differ in dispositions. In short NO TWO PEOPLE THINK OF THE SAME IDEA AT THE SAME TIME. The worst thing is that this case is often time the cause of some conflicts on labor relations, that is why people must managed to express themselves in the way that they won’t be considered as the least understood resource of an organization.

Human as the worst managed of its resources.

As stated above, people do have different decisions, disposition; hence, people probably have distinct needs in accordance to their immediate demands. Because of this scenario management of resources are being affected. This scenario is also associated by the individual differences in terms of the organizational goals; though they belong to one organization but each of them defines a lot of resources in the worst thing is that not all these defined resources will be utilized for the realization of the organizational goals set by some employees.

my blog link: http://www.arielserenado.blogspot.com

Last edited by ariel_serenado on Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:27 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gleizelle Jen Dieparine

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Razz Razz Razz

In this assignment we have a task to make a reflection on the above quoted statement "Human beings are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any organization, and yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources" .In these statement the first thing Ive understand that us human being does have a skill yet unmanageable because we have a moral,common sense and mind to speak our voice suggestion rights to help the company .

Human resources
is an increasingly broadening term that refers to managing "human capital," the people of an organization. The field has moved from a traditionally administrative function to a strategic one that recognizes the link between talented and engaged people and organizational success. The field draws upon concepts developed in Industrial/Organizational Psychology and System Theory. Human resources has at least two related interpretations depending on context. The original usage derives from political economy and economics, where it was traditionally called labor, one of four factors of production although this perspective is changing as a function of new and ongoing research into more strategic approaches at national levels.This first usage is used more in terms of 'human resources development', and can go beyond just organizations to the level of nations. The more traditional usage within corporations and businesses refers to the individuals within a firm or agency, and to the portion of the organization that deals with hiring, firing, training, and other personnel issues, typically referred to as 'human resources management'.

Important
We are said to be an important resources to the organization cause we are the brain of the organization.We planned, analyze,establish things for the success of the organization.If theres no human resource , there.s no word such organize. People organized things in its application to be useful.

Potent
Exerting or capable of exerting strong influence .We are has a big influence to the other because we have ideas that could influence everyone and help for the organization application .We could influence other by our good or bad behavior.

Critical
People could make the organization up or down. We are said to be a critical because we can react to the things done to an organization .If it is bad or good to everybody. Perhaps, if we have a wrong decision it may lends to bad result.

Least Understood
Human resource is sometimes hard to understand simple because we have unique ideas than the other .We understand things which for the other it is such a worst thng to do. It lend to mis understanding.

Worst Managed
We are said to be a worst managed to all resources as I have said that we have a moral,common sense and mind. So it means that if it is against our will, that can't provoke us to do it. We people has a behavior that even we have in demand skills for the organization yet we have unnecessary behavior,it will lend to a worst managing simply because we can't control by the people holding us or our boss. It is also a worst managed when the people holding human resources can't initiate the attitude,abilities &skills,personality,Variations in gender, nationality and culture,Motivation and work ability. These should be analyze for managing a human resource.

1.Personality
is a combination of physical and mental aspects, which result in each person’s
character. Personality is caused by genes, social environment, culture and relationships among family members. Understanding personalities can help organization leaders understand people’s actions, changes and development. The leader can even understand what and to what degree people are aware of things inside and outside the organization.
2.Attitude
is defined as people’s responses to things. Attitudes will be both positive and
negative. They directly involve emotion, awareness, belief and opinion. Attitudes can be observed from the behaviour exhibited when people respond to people, animals or things. People’s attitudes can be seen when they act, for example, with friendliness or aggressiveness.
3.Abilities and skills
Mental ability is called intelligence, while physical ability is called skill.
Ability can be innate or come through learning. For examples the ability to remember a picture or figure, or the ability to present a beautiful speech to co-workers, or to summaries an event correctly and quickly. Organization leaders can determine people’s abilities and skills and assign a job suit them As a result, an organization can achieve the work it has targeted.
4.Variations in gender, nationality and culture.
People’s gender, nationality and culture will vary inside and outside the group People in an organization will have a variety of cultures, value estimations, languages, skills, beliefs and thoughts. These variations can be seen around the world. It can not be said that people of different nationalities have different work potentials, Due to a lack of study in this area, organization leaders, however, need to learn how to communicate with people who different qualities as mentioned above. It is not a simple task to put the right people in the right job in line with their ability, skill, knowledge and attitude towards the organization.
5.Motivation an d work ability.
Somethings can actas a stimulus within an organization-for
example, rewarding or performance. According to study rewarding have the best influence on the performance of people in an organization. Organization leaders should learn to use motivation to realize employees’ mental and physical potential. A “reward” means not only financial benefits but also non- financial benefits such as praise and medals from the organization.

Modern analysis

Modern analysis emphasizes that human beings are not "commodities" or "resources", but are creative and social beings in a productive enterprise. The 2000 revision of ISO 9001 in contrast requires to identify the processes, their sequence and interaction, and to define and communicate responsibilities and authorities. In general, heavily unionized nations such as France and Germany have adopted and encouraged such job descriptions especially within trade unions. The International Labour Organization also in 2001 decided to revisit, and revise its 1975 Recommendation 150 on Human Resources Development [5]. One view of these trends is that a strong social consensus on political economy and a good social welfare system facilitates labor mobility and tends to make the entire economy more productive, as labor can develop skills and experience in various ways, and move from one enterprise to another with little controversy or difficulty in adapting. Another view is that governments should become more aware of their national role in facilitating human resources development across all sectors.

How to Handle Human Resource
1. Don’t ignore the problem.
Assuming that the employee provides value to the company and possesses redeeming qualities, there are ways to deal with difficult employees. Most often, managers will simply ignore problematic staffers. Managers who live by this rule hope the problem will just go away; that these people will somehow turn themselves around or stop being troublesome. Ignoring the situation is the wrong solution to what could likely become a progressive problem.

2. Intervene as soon as possible.

It is important to take action as soon as the negative behavior pattern becomes evident--when left untouched, this problem will only escalate.

Occasionally, the difficult employee has no idea that his behavior is a problem or that others react negatively to his actions. This is because most people tend to put up with the annoying behavior and “go along to get along.” At the same time, some employees just consider it a “job frustration.” Just like some managers, employees want to be liked by colleagues and subordinates and are therefore reluctant to speak up when a problem arises.

Ultimately, it is the manager’s responsibility to take the appropriate action to correct the problem. Whether the concern exists due to the employee’s lack of knowledge of the issue, lack of feedback or projecting the difficulty onto someone else, the manager has the responsibility of addressing and turning around the predicament. The manager needs to gather information from employees to discern the extent of the problem and personally observe the employee interacting with customers or vendors.

3. Research the problem personally.
Armed with accurate data and examples, the manager needs to then take this person into a conference room or office--away from others--and calmly address the issue. To begin, the manager needs to ask the employee if he is aware of any ongoing issues to determine if the difficult person is aware of the problems.

If the employee is “unaware,” the manager needs to describe the unacceptable behavior. The employee might interrupt to disagree or deny the existence of any issues. Nevertheless, the manager needs to continue by giving clear examples of the unwanted behavior.

The manager also needs to allow the employee to respond to the allegations. If the difficult employee refuses to believe that the allegations exist despite the evidence, the most the manager can hope for is an intellectual acceptance of the possibility that a problem exists.

4. Help the problematic employee to get back on track.
Once the employee begins to understand that these negative behaviors are real and experienced by others in the organization, the manager or someone from human resources should begin to coach the difficult employee in displaying more acceptable and appropriate behaviors. The employee needs time and practice in “trying on” new, more suitable behaviors. HR and/or the manager need to provide specific feedback to this employee on the success or failure of his efforts in minimizing the negative actions and implementing ones that are more positive.

5. If all else fails, termination may be necessary.
If the employee continues to deny his inappropriate behavior and refuses to try to improve the situation, the manager needs to place this person on the fast track towards termination. Often this involves recording a series of well-documented verbal and then written feedback about the behavior. Strictly following company protocol, there should be a period for the employee to address the questionable behavior. If this trial period does not result in improved behavior, then the employee needs to be terminated.

Most employees will recognize the negative behavior and will at least attempt to turn it around. This is especially true during tough economic times when unemployment is high and finding a new job is difficult. In any case, the manager needs to follow company guidelines in recognizing the unacceptable behavior, providing direct feedback, providing input to try to turn it around and ultimately taking action in a timely manner.

Not doing so is a disservice to the problematic employee, other employees and the success of the organization.

Visit my blog :
http://gleizelle.blogspot.com/

Referrences

http://msci.chandra.ac.th/download/km/01.pdf
http://www.entrepreneur.com/humanresources/employeemanagementcolumnistdavidjavitch/article201950.html

Last edited by Gleizelle Jen Dieparine on Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alma cabase

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:19 pm

bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo

PostSubject: Assignment 7   Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:43 pm

Essential but misunderstood? Ü

"Human beings are the most important, potent and critical, resource of any organization..."

Human beings are definitely the most important resource in an organization. Above everything else humans are the most superior in an organization. We all know that humans are essential in every organization because without them organizations would definitely not work out. If the technology or the department wherein IT id present is said to be the brain of an organization, human are the heart of every organization and without them the organization could not live and stand on its own.

Defining potent, we are talking about having the authority, being powerful and effective. So why say humans are the most potent in an organization? Well I could say humans do have the superior authority in an organization because they have the sense of rationality than any other resource of the organization. Human thinks rationally and decides with justification. Human are potent because they can do about anything they should have to do and do compared to other resources. On our other subject a statement was said about why technology could not replace human. This statement could somehow explain my point here. Human beings could not be replaced by technology because humans have judgment that the gadgets and machines could never have. Only human have the best ability on decision making, and in may other aspect in an organization.

As what I’ve said earlier human beings are very essential in every organization and without humans an organization could not work out well or could not work at all. That is why human are critical for without them there is no way of making an organization function as it is.

I’ve mentioned above more of human beings advantages in an organization and now the following would talk about human’s "not so advantageous side" (not really disadvantages),. hehe

"...yet the least understood and the worst managed of its resources."

Because human being has their own sense of understanding, reasoning and judgment they are most likely misunderstood. The differences or should I say the uniqueness of every human being is most prone to misunderstanding by others. We don’t have the same ideas or opinions in everything so we are least understood by other resources in the company. With human’s uniqueness among other human beings and the resources of the organization, we somehow tend to be misunderstood and lead to being hard to manage. Also with our own sense of rationality, knowledge and authority we tend to be have the thinking of being superior above other resources and this will also be a reason for being hard to manage.

blog link for this post:
http://xiibee.blogspot.com/2009/08/hrm-assignment-7-essential-but.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://xiibee.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)   

Back to top Go down

Assignment 7 (Due: August 28, 2009, 13:00hrs)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next