USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing

Go down 
+6
Sherwin S. Gaum
Kate Mariel Dizon
hannah rhea hernandez
JADE MIJARES
angel mae b. brua
Karren D. Adarna
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Karren D. Adarna

Karren D. Adarna

Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing Empty
PostSubject: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 1:37 pm

Sir,

I am thinking of proposing a research topic about Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing. This is about utilizing SOLAR ENERGY to be able to acquire electricity for personal computers.

Solar power is the conversion of sunlight into electricity. Solar power is produced by collecting sunlight and converting it into electricity. This is done by using solar panels, which are large flat panels made up of many individual solar cells.

My study will only focus on the application of Solar Energy in operating computers because Solar Power can be used in various ways.

Last edited by Karren D. Adarna on Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
angel mae b. brua

angel mae b. brua

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 2:05 pm

I have read about solar energy being used instead of electrical power consumptions. It can lessen the energy being consume by the people. Kindly put some examples of the things using solar energy..
Back to top Go down
http://www.gelaneam.blogspot.com
Karren D. Adarna

Karren D. Adarna

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 2:14 pm

my reply for angel:

As i have mentioned..i will just focus my study in the application of solar energy for computer operation because there are various uses of this energy. One example is the use solar energy as primary catalyst in removing toxic dyes in water and this has been applied here in the Philippines according to my source.

I cannot include everything in my study for I think it would take time.
Back to top Go down
JADE MIJARES

JADE MIJARES

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 11:03 am

Hi, Karen, does your research include the reasons why only a few people use solar powered computing? Why do you think it is not a very popular setup? or do you think otherwise?
Back to top Go down
hannah rhea hernandez

hannah rhea hernandez

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 2:14 pm

its really a good idea.. I think that you have to research about a lot of things and test it too.. for example how much energy does a computer "eat" for a certain amount of time or for a day and at the same time you have to study on on how much energy could you get on solar pads for a certain season or weather...

overall i think your idea is great.
Back to top Go down
http://woophie.blogspot.com
Kate Mariel Dizon

Kate Mariel Dizon

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 2:48 pm

Karren D. Adarna wrote:
Sir,

I am thinking of proposing a research topic about Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing. This is about utilizing SOLAR ENERGY to be able to acquire electricity for personal computers.

Solar power is the conversion of sunlight into electricity. Solar power is produced by collecting sunlight and converting it into electricity. This is done by using solar panels, which are large flat panels made up of many individual solar cells.

My study will only focus on the application of Solar Energy in operating computers because Solar Power can be used in various ways.

I honestly think that this is a good topic to research about. However, I also honestly think that it's going to be VERY costly. As you mentioned, solar panels are used to collect sunlight, but have you considered how much they're going to cost? Also, how many computer units are you going to use it on? There are also several other equipment needed to be able to use solar energy as electricity. But if you can find solutions to these problems, then your research will be very valuable. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://katemarieldizon.blogspot.com/
Sherwin S. Gaum

Sherwin S. Gaum

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 7:48 pm

harnessing? like gearing it up? well, it is indeed a good innovation and a great topic of you.. but i guess this would not be that easy as i think. it requires hardware parts which i think needs a lot of money, costly.

You should also consider the amount of power that it could produce.Is is enough to power the entire computer system?!

Please do have a visit on my post.. leave comments also.. hehehe ^_^[list=1][*]
Back to top Go down
Cherryannmontejo

Cherryannmontejo

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 7:59 pm

you're idea is too broad i think, but if you will just focus on the application of solar energy for computer operation, like what you have said, it will be a nice topic.
but i also want to add some suggestion. how about the wind energy? it has also lots of benefits in regards to environmental issues.

but, it's a very nice idea.. cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://authenticallyblack.blogspot.com/
ymrebmomville

ymrebmomville

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 8:27 pm

hmmmm, like kate said, maybe conducting this kind of research
needs good funding.. You mentioned about solar panels.

I think such device costs a lot that's why its not very popular..
It should also be cost-effective.. Its not practical to buy very
expensive device just to save a little amount of energy..

But the idea is nice, and i would like to know how are you going to
implement this project if approved..

^_^...

hehe
Back to top Go down
http://freedailyarticles.com/
Karren D. Adarna

Karren D. Adarna

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 2:09 pm

thank you guys and gals fr your comments..

for jade: actually solar powered technology are being widely used although maybe not really all are aware of this..there even exist an Information Community Center of VIA pc-1, the first to be completely powered by solar photovoltaic technology in the South Pacific, and has brought global connectivity to the multiple communities in the remote town of Ulutogia. There is a multi-megawatt photovoltaic plants that have been built in SEGS, a 46 MW Moura photovoltaic power station in Portugal and the 40 MW Waldpolenz Solar Park in Germany..however there some problems in using this kind of energy because solar energy is an intermittent energy source, meaning it is not continues and is not available at all times..

for those who found my study a costly one, I think it would really be costly if I will really demonstrate the actual concentrating of sun’s energy to turn it into electricity..

my study will just go around the advantages and disadvantages of taking solar energy..would it be a good or a bad choice considering its limitations and benefits..basicallly everything about Solar Powered technology..i am not going to make a system or what..this is just purely a study that will somehow answer questions at the end..

how would it be done??maybe I will just describe or show some videos.not to the point of buying solar panels..hehe
Back to top Go down
George Dan Gil

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 3:47 pm

solar energy is the 1 of the best way to conserve energy...

applying it to pc will be great...maybe you should also conduct research on the total cost that can be saved if we use solar...so that we could know whether it is worthy to the price of solar batteries...cause i think those devices are costly
Back to top Go down
Jonel Amora

Jonel Amora

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 5:37 pm

Karren D. Adarna wrote:
Sir,

ahehehe..first of all.. solar panels ba nang naa sa rooftop?

hahaha..with regards to the topic...hmmn....who are the main users of your research if applied?? tanan ba?? or usa ka org.say USeP. If it would be deployed in eevry house with a PC, I guess it would be impossible. wala mi solar panels sa balay and I guess we cant afford to buy one.
Back to top Go down
http://jdamora.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing   Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing Empty

Back to top Go down

Harnessing Solar Energy for a better Green Computing
Page 1 of 1