USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers

Go down 
+4
angel mae b. brua
hannah rhea hernandez
Sherwin S. Gaum
Kate Mariel Dizon
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Kate Mariel Dizon

Kate Mariel Dizon

Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers Empty
PostSubject: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 6:34 pm

This is the topic that I have thought of so far... I had to really squeeze all the juices out of my brain to come up with this.

Based on what I've read, power management is one of the ways to conserve energy. The common comparison of power management is between vista and xp according to my readings. So I thought that we could try comparing the power management between two OS from different "families" and see which one has a more efficient power management feature...

Erm... So that's about it. I'm still looking for other topics to research about if this one does not get approved. I'm also not sure about my construction of the title itself, but it has the general idea.

I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions, violent reactions, etcetera....

Last edited by Kate Mariel Dizon on Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://katemarieldizon.blogspot.com/
Sherwin S. Gaum

Sherwin S. Gaum

Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers Empty
PostSubject: question:   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 10:16 pm

Kate Mariel Dizon wrote:
This is the title that I have thought of so far... I had to really squeeze all the juices out of my brain to come up with this.

Based on what I've read, power management is one of the ways to conserve energy. The common comparison of power management is between vista and xp according to my readings. So I thought that we could try comparing the power management between two OS from different "families" and see which one has a more efficient power management feature...

Erm... So that's about it. I'm still looking for other topics to research about if this one does not get approved. I'm also not sure about my construction of the title itself, but it has the general idea.

I'm looking forward to your comments and suggestions, violent reactions, etcetera....

is this intended for technical purposes? i just want to verify if the topic that we are going to propose should be technical..
Back to top Go down
hannah rhea hernandez

hannah rhea hernandez

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 2:11 pm

hmmm.. i haven't really heard or read about comparing windows based vs linux based computers in terms of eco-friendliness.. so I think it is good...

implementation might be a problem(if there is one) just like mine but for now its a good topic to do
Back to top Go down
http://woophie.blogspot.com
Kate Mariel Dizon

Kate Mariel Dizon

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 2:34 pm

Sherwin S. Gaum wrote:
Kate Mariel Dizon wrote:
This is the title that I have thought of so far... I had to really squeeze all the juices out of my brain to come up with this.

is this intended for technical purposes? i just want to verify if the topic that we are going to propose should be technical..

I'm "imagining" that it will be technical. If this were to be pushed through, I think I'm going to need some implementation of the power management features of both OS. Then I would probably have to use some calculations to measure them against each other and prove if they differ significantly... At least, this is the idea I have so far. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
angel mae b. brua

angel mae b. brua

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 4:22 pm

That would be a nice topic Kate since that we are with the advocacy of FOSS. Its nice to know which is which on accomplishing Green Computing on there software.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gelaneam.blogspot.com
Cherryannmontejo

Cherryannmontejo

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 8:41 pm

squeezing all the juices in youre brain is a great help...
i think it is a good topic but it will be more nice if you will focus on the technical side..

go kate.. cheers cheers cheers
i always know that you can make it..
Back to top Go down
http://authenticallyblack.blogspot.com/
George Dan Gil

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 3:16 pm

...i want to know the difference between the two also...what are the tchnical aspects that you can consider with your topic kate?
Back to top Go down
Karren D. Adarna

Karren D. Adarna

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 2:51 pm

i have read about the Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI), an open industry standard, allows an operating system to directly control the power saving aspects of its underlying hardware..and i think finding out which OS does this POWER MANAGEMENT better is good..
Back to top Go down
Kate Mariel Dizon

Kate Mariel Dizon

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 9:28 pm

George Dan Gil wrote:
...i want to know the difference between the two also...what are the tchnical aspects that you can consider with your topic kate?

i think these might be considered the technicalities of this study:

>implementation of the power management features
>measuring how much power is used by each machine
>computation of the significant difference between the two

these are all i can think of now. i'm not even that sure of them yet but thank you for asking- it got me thinking. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jonel Amora

Jonel Amora

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 5:23 pm

hmmn....comparing the two OS of different family (ampon ang isa) hihihi is an ok topic..hahaha harsh ko nmn.

no actually its a good topic in a sense that if ever the output is that the power management of the Linux is more efficient than windows..hahaha mapugos sila mag LInux..hahaha

I was just really confused...FOSS advocate man daw ang USEp nano dili man mga FOSS ato gamit.. hahahaha
Back to top Go down
http://jdamora.blogspot.com/
Kate Mariel Dizon

Kate Mariel Dizon

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 2:28 pm

thank you for the comments, guys. Very Happy

as discussed earlier today by RSG, i will put more detail into my proposal. here goes:

Since I will be testing the power management features of Windows and Linux computers, I am planning to run several trials for specified periods of time to compare their "performance". Also, I will be evaluating them according to different power management settings and in the end possibly recommend which power management settings will yield to lower power consumption.

I may also take into consideration what applications are being used on each OS during the trials because this may also affect power consumption. As for the final comparison, I think it WILL involve some computations and statistics to determine the significant difference between the two OS's power management features. Very Happy

If you have more comments, suggestions, violent reactions, what-not's, please feel free to post them so I can look over them. Hehe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers   Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers Empty

Back to top Go down

Evaluation and Comparison of Power Management in Windows-based and Linux-Based Computers
Page 1 of 1