USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Lean and Green Gaming Machines

Go down 
+2
JADE MIJARES
Simon Ed Lusan
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Simon Ed Lusan

Lean and Green Gaming Machines Empty
PostSubject: Lean and Green Gaming Machines   Lean and Green Gaming Machines EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 11:24 pm

What a lame title and very informal too, still working on it.

We all know by now that computers are in fact a factor of global warming. Not only does it increase the green house effect resulting from heat dissipation, it also greatly consumes our natural resources (energy). Eventually some computer manufacturers realized the threats to the environment by creating green PCs. Somehow it answers the need for an environmental friendly personal computers, but what about the gaming industry? A high-performance gaming rig with a powerful graphics card, multiple hard drives and optical drives, a flash memory reader, and a 30-inch LCD might consume as much as 750 watts![1]. Not only that, a generic Power Supply Unit has about 80% efficiency[2] which means that 20% of that 750 watts will be converted to heat, its called heat dissipation[3]. A mid-level performance PC uses 200 to 400 watts [1]. A major internet cafe franchise located near USEP has about 1:2 mid-level to high-performance PC ratio*.

The purpose of my research is to come-up with an ideal DIY (do-it-yourself or chop-chop) high-performance gaming units that has lower electricity cost and exhaust lesser heat and would cost similarly to the gaming units of internet cafes here in Davao city**. It can also be a guide for individuals who are planning to buy a gaming pc.
I don’t know if this is research is a technical one since I’m not developing some software or a gadget/device.

I’m looking forward for your comments.

Reference:
[1]http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2097765,00.asp
[2]http://www.motherboards.org/articles/guides/1487_7.html
[3]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissipation

Notes:
*based on single internet cafe branch
**my scope would be the major internet cafes here in Davao city
Back to top Go down
JADE MIJARES

JADE MIJARES

PostSubject: Re: Lean and Green Gaming Machines   Lean and Green Gaming Machines EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 11:22 am

If i understood your explanation correctly, your research focuses on identifying components that are "GREEN" and helping internet cafes or people in making the right choice when assembling a PC that would be environmental friendly.
Is this correct?
Back to top Go down
hannah rhea hernandez

hannah rhea hernandez

PostSubject: Re: Lean and Green Gaming Machines   Lean and Green Gaming Machines EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 2:22 pm

JADE MIJARES wrote:
If i understood your explanation correctly, your research focuses on identifying components that are "GREEN" and helping internet cafes or people in making the right choice when assembling a PC that would be environmental friendly.
Is this correct?

i think you right... as a summary your proposal is spreading awareness about green IT, right?
Back to top Go down
http://woophie.blogspot.com
angel mae b. brua

angel mae b. brua

PostSubject: Re: Lean and Green Gaming Machines   Lean and Green Gaming Machines EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 4:33 pm

hannah rhea hernandez wrote:
JADE MIJARES wrote:
Is this correct?

i think you right... as a summary your proposal is spreading awareness about green IT, right?

based on his explanation to us, he said that he will somehow look for parts that are "Green". That's what I understand in his explanation to me and George during our class in SE. But then again, your topic will become broad enough since that it requires parts right?? How can you do that??
Back to top Go down
http://www.gelaneam.blogspot.com
Cherryannmontejo

Cherryannmontejo

PostSubject: Re: Lean and Green Gaming Machines   Lean and Green Gaming Machines EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 8:32 pm

it's still unclear to me..

will it be a campaign spreading awareness about green style???

gibalik lng nku ilang comment..hehehhe

it's a nice topic but you need to engage more on hardwares..
GO simon!!!!

visit and feel free to suggest also sa akung topic....
Back to top Go down
http://authenticallyblack.blogspot.com/
Simon Ed Lusan

PostSubject: Re: Lean and Green Gaming Machines   Lean and Green Gaming Machines EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 11:01 am

@jade
yes your correct..

@angel
to narrow it down i should conduct interviews to identify what class of parts they have.. for example in video cards, theres this generic class, mainstream and premium class. With that i can narrow my choices to what class of parts they are using.

@cherry
yes i will be spreading green awareness to the gaming industry. cause i myself have been upgrading my pc without thinking about the electric bill or the environment. I bought a video card requiring 350watts power supply, so i bought a 500watts power supply thinking its better because it has more watts(sooo dumb). hahaha!
Back to top Go down
George Dan Gil

PostSubject: Re: Lean and Green Gaming Machines   Lean and Green Gaming Machines EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 3:35 pm

since im also a gamer like you...

i think i find this study interesting because...in what we exprienced...

most gaming pc cosumes lot energy because of time to time uses...

cheers..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lean and Green Gaming Machines   Lean and Green Gaming Machines Empty

Back to top Go down

Lean and Green Gaming Machines
Page 1 of 1