USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)

Go down 
+71
Lynneth C. Llemit
Michael George Guanzon
karl philip abregana
Jevelyn Labor
Venus Millena
emilio jopia jr.
Michelle Adlawan
amielou.falcon
Edsa Fe Esio
joverly gonzales
Jovanne Nick Cacayan
athina alorro
Tanya Clarissa G. Amancio
IK
Karen Palero
felix a. sumalinog jr.
JerusalemAlvaira
kate karen rasonable
Anthony Rigor Aguilar
Jovylin O. Sandoval
Russel John Serrano
alma cabase
mae m. mara
desiree
Marren Pequiro
basith_jumat
Roy Cuevas
AlyssaRae Soriano
janraysuriba
Jan Neil Enanoria Gador
Jezreel Jyl P. Hilado
Norena T. Nicdao
Stihl Lhyn Samonte
Jethro Alburo Querubin
John Paul Pulido
Sheila Capacillo
vanessa may caneda
Dolorosa G. Mancera
jojimie
rowell_pines
carla comoda
John Cesar E. Manlangit
florenzie_palma
♥ilyn_mapalo♥
fatima paclibar
Alfredo V. Ala-an
sharlyn joy pines
Joseph Ethel Valdez
jerald jean pullos
rosemie nunez
Ma.AnnKristineTomada
Marlie E. Sisneros
neil rey c. niere
brian c. namuag
Gleizelle Jen Dieparine
aeros salaga
juvilynconsejo
mayraflordurango
charmaine_dayanan
creza_jill_bulacito
shane sacramento
Franz Cie B. Suico
ailaine adaptar
Chris Romarate
Fritzielaine A. Barcena
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo
kristine_delatorre
Shiela Marie P. Nara
Ariel Serenado
Maria Theresa F. Rulete
eyesee
75 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
desiree

desiree

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: COMDDAP   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 9:33 am

It’s been a week since we have attended a conference which they called COMDDAP been held at the Apo View Hotel in partnership with the Nexus Group. Amazingly, we were there to witness how the big companies featured their facilities. And all I could say about the appreciation on how they manage the event organize as well, perfectly planned. As we get inside the conference room, most of the people who were there were USePians. And we know definitely their purpose of being there.. Of course “alam na”.

Since listing and understanding the presented topic were tasked for us to perform, we really bring with us our “black and white”. The presenter of Jupiter System seems like too serious but cool. But who I appreciate more is the second presenter since even he’s quite rush in speaking, he has he power to maintain and develop his skill.

Jupiter System "always considers the client's need”. Here are some of the feature
characteristics of the said System that was given by the first presenter of the day:
-CRM
-end to end
-vehicle sales
-vehicle services (upper sale operation)
-back office operation
-financial reporting

The presenter also present to us some of the features fo the system..
CRM features
ERIC DMS- vehicle sales administration

HP THIN client

The next presenter named Leonardo Zapa, the development manager of the said company HP, gave us an introduction about THIN client that their company is offering. What does THIN client means??

THIN CLIENT

A thin client is an end to end solution widely used by most of the biggest company all over the world. Compared to the Central Processing Unit, HP THIN client is more secure especially in times when there is an error being encountered. HP THIN client reboot to remove virus since it has a deep freeze solution an scan auto- save files even without memory.

HP THIN client is the fastest growing client. Since we all know that the more you deploy, the more it's harder for you to handle or secure, therefore, what the THIN is trying to imply is that
having their solution would probably give you the power to rebust.

What THIN client is?
Remote computing architecture
SBC
VDI
Web Client

There were also benefits that THIN Client producing. THIN is a"Self- healing through power recycle", a Hardened Embedded Operating System (OS) and has a Free Management tools

-thin states, HP devise manager, Altivis DS, CA starter, Altirris lie approximately $27 per unit
1/4 failure rate
10* higher MTBF
Solid state, no noise longer life ONSITE, whole unit replacement up to 80% lower power (11 to 20Watts) space savings(less than 1/15vol), efficient slipping and handling reduce (by 75%) foam and board (40%) packaging minimal heat generated, requires a less cooling lower initial hardware cost, and lower overall TCO.

Microsoft Dynamics
Retail Management

The Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management atalks about how improving businesses in a lesser span of time. The presenter states that, “Success depends on more than store location”. Therefore, in order for your business to be known, you must envision of of multiplying it.

Owner/ retailer/ industry leadership
-could monitor business in your house

Microsoft Word R&D investment is highest in industry. Here are some manufacturers that being led by the said organization:
• Seven eleven
• Game Stop
• JC Penny
• Mc. Do and many more...

Here are some Customer commitment Benefits:
• Streamline operations
• Improve profit margins
• Build customer loyalty (10% less for student)
• Manage business, not technology (can easily be learned)
• Have a life outside your business

Another RMS by features:
• Inventory control
• Purchase orders
• Pricing sales and promotions
• Sales tracking (sale information)
• Powerful, flexible reports

OPEN SOURCE TECHNOLOGY

Another presentetion I have witnessed is all about an Open Source Tcechnology. The first time I was exposed to computer, the very first program I have used which satisfies me is the server Mozilla Firefox but by attending the COMDDAP conference, that was just the time that I have realize that the server I am using is one of the widely used open source technology.

Before the discussion about the said topic, the presenter throw a very simple question to his listeners... For your own understanding, what does an open source technology means?? Different answers were given by the listeners. Some says that an open source technology means "source code", some also says it's a "free browser or server", "another says it's a contributor to the client", the last person says it's a "no licensing"... Since all the answers were just an opinion,
definitely all were considered as correct but as the discussion has continued to it's deeper meaning, the presenter states that "not all open source technology is -no licensing-" because some has its confidential matter.

During the forum, it was also discussed about Free Software and its different functions. Free Software can be classified as freedom zero, freedom one, freedom two, and freedom three. Freedom three is used to improve such program where all might benefit. Teh freedom two also means the copy of programs being used. And talking about the latter, pardon me for the I haven't list it down since it was dictated so fast. Open software addressed to ambiguity of free software. It also improves the said software
The presenter also presents some open source technology knowing that some of this were really familiar and perhaps have used. Who would not be familiar with Ubuntu. Taking back the memories when we were freshmen, a conference was also held at the University of Southeastern Philippines about how Ubuntu functions and discussed some
of its function. They even give us a copy of files about their Technology. The next one is the Open Office. Do you know what Open Office means?? Then I pity you if you're not familiar with this ICEANS. The other one is the server which I often discussed at the upper part, the Mozilla Firefox. Next is Thunderbird, followed by the pidguin where the logo seems like a penguin, the GIMPshop, th Transmission, the VLC, the Limewire which is aften use as the music converter for those who were music addict, another is the LAMP, th eDrupal, the Joomla, the Wordpress, the ZenCart, the Ruby on Rails, and the PHP cake. Operating System ,as what the presenter said, is all a matter of semantics.

Open Source Technology also supports Large Communities such as "The Cathedral", and "The Bazaar".

Few Companies
• Lullabot.com
• Joomlapolis.com
• Joomla.org.ph
• Openwp.org

More Secured Open Source Technology
• ACM – increased security through open source
• LINUS’ law

Benefits
• Reliable
• Proven performance
• Highly scalable
• Widely used

As the conference is about to end, the NEXUS group together with its partners gave us a link of their site.
http://www.nexusgroup.com.ph/tng/downloads.php

Idea I have witnessed al the presentations of the day and it made me realized of everything. The presentation is so realistic and applicable to our daily performances especially in building a better life inthe future by the help of advanced technologies.

Idea What's the best of being there is that we've learned a lot from an experinced businessmen and professionals.

If you do have time, you may also visit my site at: http://deshai08.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
http://deshai08.blogspot.com
mae m. mara

mae m. mara

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 12:31 pm

COMDDAP Expo Davao was held at Grand Ballroom, Apo View Hotel, Davao City last July 2-4, 2009. It was a successful event. For more information you can visit their website: http://www.comddap.org/
The 2 sessions which I attended was ERIC DMS and the HP Thin Clients. My scheduled for that session was July 3. I spent July 2 watching the exhibit. I was amazed by the new technologies that were evolving. It was technically amazing. Due to my overwhelming I’m encourage to join the session earlier so I went to the room occupied by the session earlier than my scheduled time together with my buddies. Unfortunately as we went to the door of the room, there were 4 big masculine people entertained us. They asked where are we going that time and so we directly answered them that we want to attend the session, in returned we lied that July 2 was our scheduled time. Unfortunately, they didn’t let us pass because we are late for the session. Hoping that they pity us, we are waiting at the lobby. Time passes by; it was so tiring waiting for nothing so we went home.
July 3 came. We went there earlier after we located our designated company for MIS major paper. We attended ERIC DMS from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated and HP Thin Client. The following are the 2 sessions I attended.
1. ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System
The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-t-o-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services.
Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting.
With ERIC DMS, you can have full visibility over all operations.
Achieve total control over your car dealership business today!
• Schedule prospects for test drives and follow up on appointments
• Monitor and increase sales
• Delight customers with gentle reminders for appointments
• Manage vehicle inventory
• Deliver impeccable service
• Control parts & consumables cost
• Monitor and correctly implement warranty for parts & service
• Report your financial bottom line
ERIC Dealership Management System (DMS) A complete end-to-end solution for vehicle dealers, distributors, and service providers.
ERIC DMS is composed of three core modules to manage dealer Operations. These modules are:
• Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
• Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA)
• Service Management (SVM)
SOURCE: http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1

2. HP THIN CLIENT
What is a thin client?
Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.
Why should I consider a thin client solution?
You need to learn more about the HP thin client solution if your business is faced with issues such as:
• Desktop replacement costs
• Network security
• Data access to mobile or remote workers
• Supporting application software on diverse hardware, or
• Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure
Thin clients are ideal solution for today's healthcare, industrial, retail, financial and education industries offering a number of benefits to your business.
Enhanced security
Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged. Thin clients are an ideal choice for businesses that are facing increased regulatory compliance laws such as HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley.
Easier manageability
Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs, client desktops can be very simple single-application kiosks or a flexible and familiar Windows environment.
Thin clients can be set up out of the box in less than 10 minutes allowing easy deployment to new users or remote locations. HP thin clients can be remotely configured and managed via management software included at no extra charge.
High reliability
With thin client access devices, business continuity is a given in the event of a natural disaster, as the data and applications are not resident on the client device. Because of their solid state design, thin clients have an extended product life of up to 5 years and can be cost effectively replaced if needed.
Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor, under the desk or just about anywhere with the optional VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association)-compatible HP Quick Release.
Increased energy efficiency
Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops. This is realized not only in energy costs but reduced air-conditioning costs in some cases. With their long lifecycle thin clients allow companies to achieve energy savings targets and reduce the need for replacement equipment.
Lower total cost of ownership
The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings. According to a study by Gartner (TCO Comparison of PCs with Server-Based Computing, June 2006) thin client TCO annual savings have been measured as high as:
• 79% less downtime cost per user
• 16% capital cost savings
• 34% less in maintenance
• 19% less to operate
• 48% overall lower total cost
SOURCE: http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html

It’s a good thing I attended the session. There are also freebies that were given away to the audience especially to those audiences who listened very carefully from the lecturers. I learned many things from them. It was good that COMDDAP Davao was organized.
Back to top Go down
alma cabase

alma cabase

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 4:09 pm

The journey...

flower It was a very hot afternoon of July 2, 2009 when I and my classmates walked from our school, University of Southeastern Philippines down to the corner of Conpinco. We sat there to wait for our other classmates to come so that we can go together, can lessen the fare, and most especially, we don't have to walk under the hotness of the sun again.When our other classmates have arrived, there were already ten of us and just enough to "pakyaw" a jeep down to our real destination for that afternoon... COMDDAP

The searching..

Smile When I saw the Apo View Hotel where the COMDDAP was held, I felt excited. There are two main reasons why. First reason is, it was really my first time to enter the Apo View Hotel. Second is the knowledge that I can learn and get from that event. Before we were able to enter the hall, one of the personnel of the event gave us a student pass, and we I felt also a bit shy (char!) because there is a man who is also taking pictures of us at the same time.

The place was already when we went inside, and only us, Usepians are in our school uniform(gitan-aw pud mi gamai..hehe). And we are very proud of that. We started our searching from the first stall down to the last one. Every stall has different products or promotions. They are also giving leaflets and fliers about their product and the same us the visitors have also something to read and learn.

Through our searching, we also met some of our ex-classmates who transferred to other school and even just for a while, the happy memories flash back.

I learned a lot from the searching and window shopping that we did. There are lots of information also that I can get from the leaflets and fliers that I have. There was a stall there that sells motherboards and I was amazed because their products look very nice, cool, and most especially the power is very efficient. I was also amazed about the very big printer there, that was my first time seeing those huge thing in reality. There were also laptops that are free to use, and so we took the chance to try it and to scan things. There was also a stall there that are giving freebies like ball pens, sling, and many more. We were also taking pictures with some of the displays or the display alone. The searching was cool, fun, and particularly, very informative. Smile

The learning...

bounce The second session is supposed to start at one o'clock in the afternoon, but it started late because the first session started late also.

When the second session of the seminar started, the first topic is about the Jupiter Systems Inc. Mr. Celmer L. Santos discussed about the Dealer Management System (DMS). Dealer Management System is a 24 years old software company and a 100% Filipino owned that we can truly be proud of. It has also a hundred plus personnel and also one of the pioneer if Enterprise Resource Planning Systems in the Philippines. This Dealer Management System particularly deals about cars/vehicles. It hat a complete end-to-end solution for auto management, a vehicle management, back office operations and financial reporting. It also covers the Customer Relationship Management, Vehicle Sales and Administration, and the Service Management. The service management ha a lot of general features, these includes:

==> advance booking
==> operation maintenance
==> repair orders
==> repair estimates
==> customer service history
==> time-in/time-out
==> parts requisitioning and picking
==> service invoicing
==> warranty claims and processing
==> reports and queries

The Dealer Management System (DMS) is a very important and helpful information especially to those who are planning to buy a car. It can help them to ensure that their car are in good hands. It can secure them that they can have the right treatment for their vehicle.
bounce

flower Here comes the most exciting part of learning. The next topic is about the HP thin Client. But before he started the to discuss about the HP Thin Client, he told us that at the end of the topic they will be giving away flash drives and t-shirts. That is one of the reason why it is exciting.

Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.
With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.

Thin clients are ideal solution for today's healthcare, industrial, retail, financial and education industries offering a number of benefits to your business.

Enhanced security
Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged. Thin clients are an ideal choice for businesses that are facing increased regulatory compliance laws such as HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley.

Easier manageability
Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs, client desktops can be very simple single-application kiosks or a flexible and familiar Windows environment.
Thin clients can be set up out of the box in less than 10 minutes allowing easy deployment to new users or remote locations. HP thin clients can be remotely configured and managed via management software included at no extra charge.

High reliability
With thin client access devices, business continuity is a given in the event of a natural disaster, as the data and applications are not resident on the client device. Because of their solid state design, thin clients have an extended product life of up to 5 years and can be cost effectively replaced if needed.
Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor, under the desk or just about anywhere with the optional VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association)-compatible HP Quick Release.

Increased energy efficiency
Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops. This is realized not only in energy costs but reduced air-conditioning costs in some cases. With their long lifecycle thin clients allow companies to achieve energy savings targets and reduce the need for replacement equipment.

Lower total cost of ownership
The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings. According to a study by Gartner (TCO Comparison of PCs with Server-Based Computing, June 2006) thin client TCO annual savings have been measured as high as:

• 79% less downtime cost per user
• 16% capital cost savings
• 34% less in maintenance
• 19% less to operate
• 48% overall lower total cost

I really learned a lot from them and just bad luck for me because I was not able to get their freebies.I was also really amazed about its features and benefits because this kind of innovation will really help especially to the bigger establishments and in the corporate world. lol!

Last edited by alma cabase on Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Russel John Serrano

Russel John Serrano

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 11, 2009 10:59 pm

Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines (COMDDAP)

About COMDDAP

THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE
COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.

Since then, COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and bannered by these specific objectives:
Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

COMDDAP counts among its achievements the holding of the Annual COMDDAP exhibit, more popularly known as the COMDDAP EXPO, which has become a consistent crowd drawer and has in itself set new records in terms of the quality of exhibit area, exhibitors, visitors, and venues. In fact, COMDDAP EXPO in 1999 marked the first exhibit to have adapted an upgraded booth shell schemes

The annual COMDDAP endeavor encourages its participants to launch their products and services, as well as hold seminars with a variety of topics in the areas of technology, trends, applications, and information management.

COMDDAP's biggest leap was being able to cross boarders or go regional by bringing the exposition down south in Cebu and Davao City, and to even greater heights in the cities of Baguio and Naga, and most recently, in Iloilo City.

Apart from its exhibits, the organization holds COMDDAP Leaning Center Project and Training the Trainors program. This is part of the civic and social responsibility programs that the association has vowed to pursue. The project provides public high school students and public school teachers the opportunity to learn basic computer theories, get hands-on experience, and become familiar with computers.

COMDDAP is likewise involved with the Media-Citizens Quick Count (MCQC) operations in response to the call of national interest. The bulk of equipment and technical support for this endeavor were provided for by the member-companies.

COMDDAP has also pledged to protect its members in addressing the growing issue of software piracy, a practice that has affected and stunted the growth of the local software industry, as well as the countrys trade relations with other countries .In pushing this, COMDDAP has expressed its full support in the local manufacturing of DOS at an affordable price and with after-sales support, as well as launching a massive educational campaign.

Indeed, COMDDAP has gone a long way from a mere assemblage of premier IT companies and enthusiasts. With the support and enthusiasm of its member-companies, COMDDAP expects and looks forward to accomplishing more worthwhile projects in the future as COMDDAP is committed to the stable growth of the Philippine computer industry.

http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

June 2 COMDDAP Expo @ APO VIEW

Experience:

w3w, at first i will share my experience @ the time when we are going to APO VIEW-COMDDAP Expo...... [ Sad Shocked Surprised ] this are the feelings we felt when we are traveling.... w3w as a FRESHMEN in Davao City clown me, nick and van walking in a lonely road while searching where is the exact place or location of APO VIEW is, almost 45mins searching for APO VIEW.... our legs starting to have [BARECOS na] Sad but we have a lot of experience while walking and we see a lot of buildings that could help us in FUTURE, a company that could we use in conducting studies in MIS 1 and HRM.....

after 45mins walking w3w at last we found the APO VIEW....... and the location where the COMDDAP is, we see a lot of technology that new to our naked eyes..... a lot of gadget, a high tech gadget that we can use in near future [maybe]... h lol!

we found now the APO VIEW and the COMDDAP area, the problem is to find the exact location of seminar... cheers thanks god and thanks to the GUARD we found the seminar area Very Happy he told us where the session is...

when we are their the session is already started we are late even though i register my session in second day of the expo but i still went to the area... i can't wait i so exited to know what COMDDAP is and the importance of it.....

we registered our own and together with my friends nick and van in the session even though the room is already full, we still Wink STANDING OVATION....

Learnings....... study

DATABASE SYSTEM [Nexus Group] - they presented on how database done and how they implemented it, they are also shared the importance of database system, how could we use it, and how could we learn for it..... for us as a IT student and as a certified USEPian Student... we learn a lot what database sytem is, and how database system rule Information Technology and Information System... it means a lot of us...

THIN CLIENT [HP] - it is a Computing device and we can consider it as one part or way of "GREEN COMPUTING" Thin Client has a lot of features just like CPU but Thin Client have a lot of features and works in terms in security, standard desktop, lifespan, less power, virus, scanning, patches and many many application w3w Shocked from the word THIN the first thing comes in my mind is [SLIM, SMALL DIAMETER] Thin Client is a small device one part of advantage... in our generation the smaller, the brighter Very Happy .... this kind of device if our UNIVERSITY will adopt i think it help a lot of us.... Thin Client easy to use and manage[dali ra and walay libog], environmental friendly [d nag pro produce ng init or d nakakasama] & much lower the over all costs [mahal sha pero kong e compare ang lifespan and costs in energy much maka save ka compare to other devices... other device lifespan is only 2 - 3 years but compare to THIN CLIENT [6 years] just like what LEONARD SAPA or ZAPA?? ZAPA am i right?? never mind Very Happy i'm not good in copying scratch

My Last Word:

[I already got it all... but I'm still looking for more...] tongue

Learn study Learn study Learn study Learn study Learn study

+GODBLESS+
Back to top Go down
Jovylin O. Sandoval

Jovylin O. Sandoval

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 12, 2009 9:42 am

COMDDAP DAVAO 2009 EXPO

My Experience…

My experienced in COMDDAP Davao 2009 Expo was so good. Actually it is my first time also to go to Apo View Hotel..hehe. At first, when I got there, I was astounded when I saw a lot of people there and mostly students of the different schools. Honestly, I don’t know where am I going to go because I am alone that time until I found my classmates so I’m already ok. What we first did was just walking around on the expo, watching on the different products or gadgets that they have there and listening about what is on their products. I saw also students there who tried browsing on the computers with the use of LCD monitors because it has also an internet. While we are walking around, I thought that there’s no already gonna have a seminar because I didn’t see anything that is having a seminar, without knowing that the seminar was already started inside along the way, in line of the comfort room. When we were there, I was surprised because they are already many in the room which is also about to be full and most of there are my classmates and schoolmates. That’s why because of being late, me and my companions are already seated at the back. Hehe…SmileSmileSmile

What is Comddap…

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.

The COMDDAP Expo…

COMDDAP is the one who organized and managed the COMDDAP Davao 2009 event that was held on July 2-4 at the Apo View Hotel. This event is all about the biggest IT Expo which regularly held in the South. With the speed that IT evolving and becoming ever more persuasive in our everyday lives, COMDDAP this year brings up something new to its market, it stages now the LCD monitor shootout. This shootout brings together the top LCD monitor brands in the world in a showdown of their most brilliant features in terms of graphics, photo and video display.

COMDDAP also wants us to get up close and take a first–hand look at the latest IT product and software for computing, imaging, printing, connecting and communications , security , entertainment and lifestyle applications by having their product Demonstrations . Some of the product that they have these are the Symantec, Mcafee , Norton, Adobe , Autocad , Microsoft hardware, and a lot more.

COMDDAP also have the other regular events for the visitors like the Technology Update, series of seminars and workshops, events discounts, raffle draws and generous giveaways for lucky attendees. In addition, COMDDAP should also be attended because of the networking opportunities that can boost for the business, they also have consultation and hands on experience with IT experts and free to see the latest industry trends.
That’s why we as an IT students in USEP are also invited to attend the Expo especially on the seminars that they have there so that we can gain market intelligence and be updated on the latest market trends that are related to IT industry.

The Technology Update Companies…

The Seminar is all about the technology update that was led by the Nexusgroup with the other companies like:

1. Jupiter Systems – a Philippine based IT Services Company dedicated to delivering solutions for medium to large companies. They offer services covering the entire range of business activities- from marketing and promotion, procurement/supply chain management, manufacturing, distribution, financial reporting, business intelligence, and even IT infrastructure security and maintenance.

2. Nexus Technologies Inc. - was incorporated in December 1994 with a vision to create a professionally run company that delivers real business benefits to its clients through leading technologies. Nexus is proud to be a prominent force in the Philippine IT industry, having carved a niche as the systems integrator and corporate IT reseller of choice of some of the Philippines' top corporations. It has successfully forged long-term client partnerships anchored by a keen understanding that technology plays a pivotal role in the delivery and the achievement of an organization's business goals. Nexus maintains a strong network of IT solutions providers culled carefully from a genuine passion to provide solutions that offer genuine business advantage.

3. EduPro, Inc. - is a Microsoft Certified Technical Education Center (MS CTEC) established in 1996. Edupro provides training and certification on the latest I.T. skills. Our list of courses range from desktop courses (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) to Web Publishing courses (including Macromedia Flash, Dreamweaver etc.) to the technical computer courses for system administrators, system engineers, database administrators among others.

4. Spinweb Productions, Inc. - is an online media agency established in March 2000 to help businesses stay competitive in a rapidly evolving marketplace. Spinweb maintains a complete and skilled project team comprised of graphic designers, programmers, project coordinators, and account managers. Quality is always assured in our fully integrated development process, without a role or a detail being missed.

5. The Nexus Professional Services and Solutions (NPSS) – this group aims to focus on providing companies more value from their IT investments by making IT the prime engine supporting clients' business goals. NPSS has a highly skilled team of service engineers who can provide the second backline support to the clients' IT department. Beyond customer support, NPSS will manage the client's IT service to enable the client to focus on its business.

The Seminar…

For me, the seminar was so good especially on the products that they had introduced to us. First was the Edupro for their Windows Server 2008 that is the most advanced Windows Server operating system yet, designed to power the next-generation of networks, applications, and Web services. Next, was the Jupiter Systems that has their ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS), which is an end-to-end software solution for automotive sales parts, and service businesses and it also covers full range of dealer activities from customer prospecting and vehicle services. Third was the Nexus Technologies Inc. for their HP Thin Client which amazed me most because it is a computing device that have no hardrive, with displays data and applications from remotely located servers, and blade PC’s or virtual desktops. It is the one that if you reboot it, it will automatically remove also the viruses, in short there’s no need already to have an antivirus. Then, the Nexus Professional Services and Solutions (NPSS) for their Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System that is very nice and very useful because it is a software suite built for retailer designed to fully automate their business across all channels of commerce with a low Total Cost of Ownership quick return on investments. And the last one was the Spinweb for their Open source which is an approach to the design, development, and distribution of software, offering practical accessibility to a software's source code. It is licensed software that meets the Open Source Definition and mostly it is a free and the source is open. In addition, the good thing for it is that a lot of the things that you can do in Windows and Mac, you can do in Open Source. So therefore, if I were you to choose between the open source and proprietory system, practically I would prefer open source because of the very reason that is, it is free and their works was already been proven as nice and very good applications on web like on the portals, corporate, publishing, government, education, art, music, multimedia, e-commerce, etc. and even the popular sites of Avril Lavigne, JLO, Britney and a lot more. So where can you find it! so grab it…

On the other way, the good thing on the seminar was that they are not just having a presentation about their products but they also gave nice giveaways on their Q&A portion like the USBs and T-Shirts, which made us into fun and enjoyed the seminar. hehe. Moreover, after the seminar we have already took pictures with the speakers also as our remembrance for this…

PS. Thanks COMDDAP for having an EXPO like this and because we have learned a lot of new things especially in the IT industry trends.bouncebouncebounce

flower Pls visit and comment my post on my blog... flower
The Dreamer and Believer!
Back to top Go down
http://juvz14.multiply.com
Anthony Rigor Aguilar

Anthony Rigor Aguilar

PostSubject: COMDDAP Learnings/Reflections   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 2:29 pm

Assignment
4: Comddap 2009 Learning’s/Reflections

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 08022009204
COMMDAPP held at Apo View Hotel Davao on July 2, 3, and 4 advertises the advances of the new technologies. The event featured new products from different manufacturers that exhibits their new designed models of computer related products such as notebooks by neo, printer enhancement for business solutions, motherboards for servers, new designed harddisk by western digital company, and media CD’s, DVD’s, and many more. There are also exhibits of newly designed computer monitors and System units from different manufacturers which attracts many visitors. One of the important events is seminars from different companies and groups that promote their new products and other services to the market. And we attended three different seminars; first is the Thin Clients from Hewlett Packard, the second one was Windows server 2008 by the EDUPRO, and the last is the Open source and the free source seminar. Below is the learning from the seminars.

1. Thin Clients by HP (Hewlett Packard)
The speaker in this seminar was Leonard Zapa, the Market Development Manager in Remote Client Solutions Group. He discussed the product, the uses, the benefits and the value of the product. HP Thin Client is a computing device desktop and a solid state device. It does not have hard drive on it. According to the exhibitor, it is more reliable, stable and last longer compare to the thick desktop we usually have. Thin clients are actually “thin” that benefits space, it has 8 USB ports, 2 USB ports are kept inside its casing for the purpose of protecting the USB devices such as flash drives against accidents. A thin client needs a server, a central device where the operating system is installed.

Since it does not have a hard disk inside, it is not susceptible to virus attack, power failure and etc. because the operating system is actually not installed on the device. Thin clients according to the speaker are just an extension monitor to the user but with advanced features. Clients work when it is connected to the server via networking and it accesses the server when the user login’s on the device. When the user do something on the device the client works like it has an operating system installed on it but actually it only access the system over the network to the server. One of the amazing function of this device is that it protects the system because it only shows the requested
operations from the server and not the system on the server, so if you are saving something to the flash drive and whenever there is a power failure knowing that it is not completely saved to the flash drive, the operations is not affected and you only have to reboot the device and tadah….the operation is continued. According to the speaker it has the ability to detect viruses because once a virus is detected it automatically shuts downs and reboots, and the virus is gone.

Thin clients offer these benefits:
Enhance Security
Easy Manageability
Environment Friendly
Lower Over-all Cost

Thin Clients only needs 11watts to 20 watts of power, so it saves up to 80% of your energy expenses compared to desktop computers. Since it does not have a harddisk inside, it generates less heat and extra cooling is not a requirement.

Here below are the factors to be considered in analyzing the total cost of ownership according to Mr. Zapa:

Hardware cost
Power consumption
Heat dissipate
Space saving

Thespeaker added that the life span of the thin client is longer than the desktop computers because desktop spans 3 years of service, HP Thin client spans 5years guaranteed. HP Thin client offers more reliability and cost effective forbusiness solution. Thus thin clients give extra security to the system.

After the seminar, few moments later the next seminar is all about the Windows server 2008.

2. Windows Server 2008
The speaker of the seminar was Mr. Lee L. Gorospe, Technical Trainer from EDUPRO Inc., delivered the event successfully. He discussed the following:

Active Directory Roles
Active Directory Rights Management Service
Read Only Domain Controllers
Hyper-V
Network Access Protection
Server Core

I cannot give the give the significance of these agenda because the speaker was not basing on the definition but rather he performs these agendas in front the listeners. He shows us how windows server 2008 provides the user an ease to perform these task on real operation. I can only remember few of these agendas.

Read Only Domain Controllers: one of the new improved feature of server 2008 that gives an option for deploying a new domain controller that can be deployed at a perimeter or branch office
recommended for sites that are lacking IT personnel or physical, security and provides three benefits namely: Increased productivity, a solution for sites/office that has no or poor physical server security, and lower impact on theft or Error.

Hyper-V:
Hypervisor based virtualization is another improved feature of Windows Server 2008 is the
virtualization. Virtualization reduces costs, increases hardware utilization, optimizes your infrastructure and, improves server availability.

Network AccessProtection (NAP):

what is NAP? NAP is a platform that enforces compliance with health requirements for network access or communication. NAP is available in Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Microsoft Windows Vista and, an upgrade of Microsoft Windows XP with service pack 3.

The communication method can be of the following:
Internet Protocol security (IPsec)-protected communications
IEEE 802.1X-authenticated network connections
Remote access virtual private network (VPN) connections
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) configuration

This seminar provides us information about the new advancements of the Microsoft Company. This seminar updates us to the new platforms and systems soon we will use.

After the Windows Server 2008, we waited the last seminar which is the Open source for business solutions. I forgot to write down the names of the speakers who held the event.

Open Source for Business Applications:
According to the speaker the term “Open Source” is the software that is free of use, in which the original source code is openly available for users to examine and modify, to use to run, reinstall the software, modify and enhance the software, and redistribute for better use and performance.

One of the best examples mentioned by one of the speaker is the Ubuntu. Ubuntu is an operating system consisting of free and open source software. With Ubuntu you can surf the web, read email, and create documents, spreadsheets and more! Ubuntu is powerful and flexible for business, education and home use.

The speaker added that Open source software is different from free software even though they are the same as free. Open source software is considered distinct from free software, which is also open source but can be used for any purpose and without any costs or restrictions. Both open source software and free software are different from software provided for free (freeware) by commercial software manufacturers that do not allow access to the original source code.

A central features of open source software is that users can review the software, add features to it
or hire programmers to add features, or fix errors known as bugs, rather than wait for the original software publisher or creator to release a “patch” or bring out a new version. With open source software, programmers—many of them nonprofessionals—contribute to the computing community by making their improvements and bug fixes available to other users.

This type of peer review is open to community input, standards, and verification, and is thought to lead to more reliable software. It is also thought to speed up the software development process. In some cases, the peer review may be uninfluenced by deadlines or other commercial concerns. However, as open source software development has evolved, companies such as the International Business Machines Corporation (IBM), Sun Microsystems, Inc., Microsoft Corporation, Apple Inc.,
and others have offered an increasing number of open source products.
Back to top Go down
kate karen rasonable

kate karen rasonable

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 4:32 pm

Last July 2, 2009, Thursday, we were told to be a part of COMDDAP held at the Apo View Hotel, Grand Ballroom. Different companies showcased their different products and services like the Canon and HP that highlights their new innovations of printers of different sizes. I was really amazed of those very huge printers that can able to print huge images. Hmmmm.. I felt a little bit ignorant with those things.. Hehehe.. Well.. Ignorance is Bliss right?? jeje.. At the exhibit, the companies provided reading materials for us to learn about their products. I did collect a lot of this stuff because as an IT student, I’d like to know what new stuffs IT companies are now offering. The following are the stuffs or services about the companies at that exhibit:

• AutoCAD®️
This thing speeds up documentation wherein you can work with faster automation, management, and editing tools that minimize repetitive tasks and speed one’s time to completion. This can also share designs accurately where you would be able to do photorealistic rendering, and explore more intuitively in 3D in which you can walk or fly through a model with the click of a button. It also provides the ultimate in power and flexibility, customizable for specific needs.

• McAfee®️ Total Protection for Enterprise
McAfee®️ Total Protection for Enterprise is the industry’s first truly integrated system security solutions. McAfee offers two solutions, McAfee Total Protection for Enterprise and McAfee Total Protection for Enterprise- Advanced, which deliver centrally managed, integrated anti-virus, anti-spyware, anti-spam, host intrusion prevention, and network access control (NAC) capabilities. McAfee integrates proven technologies for a total solution that is more effective than the sum
of its parts.

• PHOENIX Uninterruptible Power Systems
Showcased the MO Series designed to protect your PC and multi-devices. It is a microprocessor controlled that guarantees high reliability, an Internet Ready Protection for Modem/ Phone line, short circuit and overload protection, has an intelligent battery management, a replaceable battery design, a surge protected outlets available for convenience and an easy understanding LED display.

• CRYSTAL REPORTS®️ SERVER 2008
Software from Business Objects, an SAP company, is a complete report management solution that allows departments and small to mid-size organizations to securely view, print, share, schedule, and deliver interactive reports via email, portals, and Microsoft Office applications. Crystal Reports Server 2008 is fully compatible with Crystal reports 2008 and supports all of the new features of this report design tool.

• Symantec™️ Endpoint Protection
It provides protection against even the most sophisticated attacks that evade traditional security measures, such as rootkits, zero-day attacks, and mutating spyware. It also provides advanced threat prevention that protects endpoints from targeted attacks and attacks not seen before. It includes turnkey, proactive technologies that automatically analyze application behaviors and network communications to detect and block suspicious activities, as well as administrative control features that allow you to deny specific device and application activities deemed as high risk for your organization.

Well these are just among of the new offers of companies today. Well, information technology is
really everywhere.

By 1pm, I, my classmates as well as my schoolmates attended the seminar during that event. The first seminar was about ERIC-DMS (Enterprise Resource Information Control- Dealer Management System). The speaker tackles about the kind of system that they offered. Well, I was a bit out of place since they are offering a dealer management system for companies that deals vehicles. And since I don’t own a car, I was not that very interested about the topic but still listened to the speaker. The ERIC-DMS’ range of solutions cover CRM-Pre-Sales, Vehicle Sales and Administration, Service Management, and CRM Post-Sales. The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-to-end software solution for automotive sales parts, and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers full range of dealer activities from Customer prospecting and vehicle services.

The next seminar was about the HP Thin Client. Well, I got interested with the topic that tackles about this new technology of HP that aside from being such a very small central processing unit compared to the original one, it offers a lot new features that can’t be found to the usual one. The HP thin client has the five main reasons why one should avail of this. This includes the following:

1. It has Enhanced Security which store critical user data and applications on a centralized server by disabling local storage, limiting local user information while enhancing data security.
  2. HP Thin Clients is ready to use, thus are conventionally packed for your rapid deployment. It is ready once out of the box, takes just minutes to set up and effortlessly configured using HP management tools.
  3. Greater Affordability where the experts at HP designed the HP Thin Clients to lower one’s total cost of ownership, and yet provide leading edge industrial designs that deliver optimal performance. It has solid state design without moving parts result in less maintenance and downtime.
  4. HP Thin Client is Easy to Manage. Thus, helps small businesses to large enterprises easily manage heterogeneous environment from a single console. It has a feature called the HP Quick Release that allows many space-saving mounting options – on a monitor, wall, stand, or under a desk. It also lets you attach an HP LCD monitor and HP Thin Client on a stand for all-in-one convenience.
  5. HP Thin Clients are designed with the environment in mind. It uses materials responsibly, leading to a greater reduction in environmental impact. It has more efficient packaging processes. Energy efficient for lesser power consumption, enabling a longer lifecycle. Moreover, it offers recycling initiatives to protect the environment.
Well, with these kinds of features, one would really crave to avail of one. If just given the chance to a rich person, I would really own this kind of technology.

At the end, the speaker prepared freebies for those who really gave an ear during their presentation. There were flash drives that I hope I got to one but I think that day was not a really lucky day for me. I kept on raising my hand as high as I can but didn’t really got the chance of being called.. tsk tsk.. Maybe next time, it would be my luck.. hehe.. I hope so..
Back to top Go down
http://spookywoolybully.blogspot.com
JerusalemAlvaira

PostSubject: COMDDAP Exhibit Reflections   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 13, 2009 11:10 pm

Our facilitator invited us to register and join an IT Exhibit in Apo View Hotel Davao which was held last July 2-4 2009. I registered at the Nexus Group’s website and checked all the events for July 2, 2009 from morning ‘til afternoon though the morning events are just the same in the afternoon. So, I and my classmates went to Apo View Hotel Grand Ballroom Hall to attend the Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines Exhibit or COMDDAP Exhibit. At the Ballroom hall, I saw a lot of exhibit booths from Smart, Neo, Cannon, HP and other IT Companies. There they displayed their latest technologies like internet services, laptop computers, cameras, printers and so much more.

COMDDAP and Its Objectives

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

• Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
• Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
• Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
• Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
• To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
• Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
• Foster and cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

Apart from its exhibits, the organization holds COMDDAP Leaning Center Project and Training the Trainors program. This is part of the civic and social responsibility programs
that the association has vowed to pursue. The project provides public high school students and public school teachers the opportunity to learn basic computer theories, get hands-on experience, and become familiar with computers.

HP Thin Client

The HP Company showed one of their latest technologies – the HP Thin Client. This is a device which is suitable for large corporations including the Business Process Outsourcing Companies. For me, it is an all in one device because thin clients are used not only in networking but it can be used as a substitute for a desktop computer’s system unit. I somehow found a whole lot of HP thin client's advantages. First, it costs less than a standard desktop computer’s system unit because it is a networking device that is connected to a server where the computer processes done including storing of files and computer settings. Second, thin client servers do not have a hard drive installed in it and since all the processing, storing and backing up of data are done in the server, thin clients are free from hard drive crashes that causes lost of user data files and could somehow prevent data theft. Even if someone would try to steal the thin client to retrieve a certain file, that person will not be able to retrieve the file he/she needed because nothing is stored in the device. Moreover, this makes thin clients more secured and less vulnerable to viruses and bugs. Third, it is highly environmental because it consumes less power than a desktop computer does because it does not have fans and other movable devices found in a standard system unit that increase the consumption of electricity. Because thin clients help save energy consumption, it produces less heat and has a longer lifespan than a system unit.

Other than that, thin clients are very compact that you can even place it anywhere and helps you save space in your workstation. It is even easy to install and to connect in other computer devices.

The fun part was that after the product presentation, they gave us a set of questions to be answered and as prices for answering their questions correctly; they gave USB flash drives and t-shirts. Most answers to the questions given are none of the above.

Open Source for Business Applications by Spinweb Productions, Inc.

Spinweb Productions Inc. is an online media agency that provides competitive technology solutions customized for your business needs. Established in March 2000, we are pioneers in strengthening brands and streamlining corporate processes through our medium of specialization, the World Wide Web.
They presented the Open Source Software that is compatible with both MAC and Windows XP operating systems. Popular Open Source Softwares widely used are Open Office is an office application, Mozilla Firefox a free browser descended from the Mozilla Application Suite, and Limewire which is a downloader. Most Open Source Softwares are license – free which makes the product suitable for students because of the lower cost.

The exhibit really made me learn new things not only in terms of new gadgets but also, on choosing the best software for you to manage your business, maximize sales and profits and to serve the customers better. Moreover, the exhibit even gave me and ideas about the open source softwares.

References:
http://www.spinweb.ph/v5/about-us.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_firefox

For Comments:

click
Back to top Go down
felix a. sumalinog jr.

felix a. sumalinog jr.

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 10:41 am

My Learnings/Reflections in COMDDAP 2009

I attended the Open Source for Business Applications seminar last July 3, 2009 which was presented by Mr. Ben Alegre and Paul de Paula of Spinweb Productions, Inc. I learned that the Open Source is an approach to the design, development, and distribution of software, offering practical accessibility to a software's source code. And Open Source Software is defined as computer software for which the source code and certain other rights normally reserved for copyright holders are provided under a software license that meets the Open Source Definition or that is in the public domain. This permits users to use, change, and improve the software, and to redistribute it in modified or unmodified forms. It is very often developed in a public, collaborative manner. Open source software is the most prominent example of open source development and often compared to user-generated content. The term open source software originated as part of a marketing campaign for free software. A report by Standish Group states that adoption of open source software models has resulted in savings of about $60 billion per year to consumers.
I discovered that the Open Source Definition is used by the Open Source Initiative to determine whether or not a software license can be considered open source. Mr. Ben Alegre presented the following criteria of the distribution terms of open-source software to comply with:

1. Free Redistribution
The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a royalty or other fee for such sale.

2. Source Code
The program must include source code, and must allow distribution in source code as well as compiled form. Where some form of a product is not distributed with source code, there must be a well-publicized means of obtaining the source code for no more than a reasonable reproduction cost preferably, downloading via the Internet without charge. The source code must be the preferred form in which a programmer would modify the program. Deliberately obfuscated source code is not allowed. Intermediate forms such as the output of a preprocessor or translator are not allowed.

3. Derived Works
The license must allow modifications and derived works, and must allow them to be distributed under the same terms as the license of the original software.

4. Integrity of The Author's Source Code
The license may restrict source-code from being distributed in modified form only if the license allows the distribution of "patch files" with the source code for the purpose of modifying the program at build time. The license must explicitly permit distribution of software built from modified source code. The license may require derived works to carry a different name or version number from the original software.

5. No Discrimination Against Persons or Groups
The license must not discriminate against any person or group of persons.

6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
The license must not restrict anyone from making use of the program in a specific field of endeavor. For example, it may not restrict the program from being used in a business, or from being used for genetic research.

7. Distribution of License
The rights attached to the program must apply to all to whom the program is redistributed without the need for execution of an additional license by those parties.

8. License Must Not Be Specific to a Product
The rights attached to the program must not depend on the program's being part of a particular software distribution. If the program is extracted from that distribution and used or distributed within the terms of the program's license, all parties to whom the program is redistributed should have the same rights as those that are granted in conjunction with the original software distribution.

9. License Must Not Restrict Other Software
The license must not place restrictions on other software that is distributed along with the licensed software. For example, the license must not insist that all other programs distributed on the same medium must be open-source software.

10. License Must Be Technology-Neutral
No provision of the license may be predicated on any individual technology or style of interface.

In the seminar, Mr. Ben Alegre showed many Open Source Technologies and these are Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird, Pidgin, GIMPshop, Transmission, LimeWire, VLC, LAMP, Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, OS Commerce, Zen Cart, Ruby on Rails, PHP Cake, Civi CRM, and Moodle. I learned that in the Open Source, there is no vendor lock-in, there are large support communities, and it is more secure. Like the Proprietary Software, Open Source is reliable, proven performance, highly scalable, and widely used. And, there are many applications that the Open Source Software (OSS) can apply with in the web. It can apply in Portals, Corporate, Publishing, Government, Education, Art, Music, Multimedia, Social Networking Sites, E-commerce, and CRM.

I also attended the Hewlett-Packard Thin Client Server Computing seminar the same day which was presented by Nexus Technologies, Inc. I imbibed that Thin Client is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.
I discovered that many thin client devices run only web browsers or remote desktop software, meaning that all significant processing occurs on the server. However, recent devices marketed as thin clients can run complete operating systems such as Debian Linux, qualifying them as diskless nodes or hybrid clients. Some thin clients are also called "access terminals." I realized that many people that already have computers want the same functionality that a thin client has. The presenter of the seminar said that computers can simulate a thin client in a single window (as thru a browser) or with a separate operating system boot-up. Either way, these are often called "fat clients" to differentiate them from thin clients and computers without thin-client functionality.

I find the several advantages of thin clients and these are:
· Lower IT administration costs. Thin clients are managed almost entirely at the server. The hardware has fewer points of failure and the client is simpler (and often lacks permanent storage), providing protection from malware.

· Easier to secure. Thin clients can be designed so that no application data ever resides on the client (just whatever is displayed), centralizing malware protection and reducing the risks of physical data theft.

· Enhanced data security. Should a thin-client device suffer serious mishap or industrial accident, no data will be lost, as it resides on the terminal server and not the point-of-operation device.

· Lower hardware costs. Thin client hardware is generally cheaper because it does not contain a disk, application memory, or a powerful processor. They also generally have a longer period before requiring an upgrade or becoming obsolete. There are fewer moving parts and one upgrades the server and network instead because the limitation on performance is the display resolution which has a very long life cycle. Many thick clients are replaced after 3 years to avoid failures of hardware in service and to use the latest software while thin clients can do the same, well-defined task of displaying images for 10 years. The total hardware requirements for a thin client system (including both servers and clients) are usually much lower compared to a system with fat clients. One reason for this is that the hardware is better utilized. A CPU in a fat workstation is idle most of the time. With thin clients, CPU cycles are shared. If several users are running the same application, it only needs to be loaded into RAM once with a central server (if the application is written to support this capability). With fat clients, each workstation must have its own copy of the program in memory.

· Less energy consumption. Dedicated thin client hardware has much lower energy consumption than typical thick client PCs. This not only reduces energy costs but may mean that in some cases air-conditioning systems are not required or need not be upgraded which can be a significant cost saving and contribute to achieving energy saving targets. However, more powerful servers and communications are required.

· Easier hardware failure management. If a thin client fails, a replacement can simply be swapped in while the client is repaired; the user is not inconvenienced because their data is not on the client.

· Worth less to most thieves. Thin client hardware, whether dedicated or simply older hardware that has been repurposed via cascading, is less useful outside a client-server environment. Burglars interested in computer equipment may have a much harder time fencing thin client hardware.

· Operable in Hostile Environments. Most thin clients have no moving parts so can be used in dusty environments without the worry of PC fans clogging up and overheating and burning out the PC.

· Less network bandwidth. Since terminal servers typically reside on the same high-speed network backbone as file servers, most network traffic is confined to the server room. In a fat client environment if you open a 10MB document that’s 10MB transferred from the file server to your PC. When you save it that’s another 10MB from your PC to the server. When you print it the same happens again — another 10MB over the network to your print server and then 10MB onward to the printer. This is highly inefficient. In a thin client environment only mouse movements, keystrokes and screen updates are transmitted from/to the end user. Over efficient protocols such as ICA or NX this can consume as little as 5 kbit/s bandwidth. This statement makes some very heavy assumptions about the operating environment, though.

· More efficient use of computing resources. A typical thick-client will be specified to cope with the maximum load the user needs, which can be inefficient at times when it is not used. In contrast, thin clients only use the exact amount of computing resources required by the current task – in a large network, there is a high probability the load from each user will fluctuate in a different cycle to that of another user (i.e. the peaks of one will more than likely correspond, time-wise, to the troughs of another. This is a natural result of the additive effect of many random, independent loads. The total load will be normally distributed about a mean and not the sum of the maximum possible loads.
· Simple hardware upgrade path. If the peak resource usage is above a pre-defined limit, it is a relatively simple process to add another component to a server rack (be it power, processing, storage), boosting resources to exactly the amount required. The existing units can continue to serve alongside the new, whereas a thick client model requires an entire desktop unit be replaced, resulting in down-time for the user, and the problem of disposing of the old unit.

· Lower noise. The aforementioned removal of fans reduces the noise produced by the unit. This can create a more pleasant and productive working environment.

· Less wasted hardware. Computer hardware contains heavy metals and plastics and requires energy and resources to create. Thin clients can remain in service longer and ultimately produce less surplus computer hardware than an equivalent thick client installation because they can be made with no moving parts. Computer Fans and disk storage (used for cooling and storage in thick clients) have mean times before failures of many thousands of hours but the transistors and conductors in the thin client have mean times before failure of millions of hours. A thick client is considered old after one or two cycles of Moore’s Law to keep up with increasing software bloat but a thin client is asked to do the same simple job year after year. A thin client, on the other hand will be replaced only when it lacks some feature deemed essential. With audio, video, and USB, thin clients have changed little in 15 years, being essentially, stripped-down PCs.

Reference:
WIKIPEDIA.org
http://www.nexus.com.ph
http://www.spinweb.ph
My Blog: jhunix1@BLOGSPOT

Back to top Go down
Karen Palero

Karen Palero

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 3:04 pm

COMDDAP Davao Reflection

Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMDDAP) held an exhibit at Apo View Hotel from July 2 to July 4 of this year, 2009. I scheduled to attend their seminars on the 3rd day of July but my classmates also scheduled me on the 2nd day of July (hehe), both on afternoon schedule so I decided to attend on those days that I’m scheduled regardless of who scheduled it (besides it’s an opportunity, right?).

On the 2nd day of July 2009 my classmates and I went to Apo View Hotel and attended the afternoon session seminars, but before that, we first strolled around the exhibits because we find them interesting specially the booth with free sling (hehe). I think it was SmartBro’s booth that includes that freebie thing; anyway, we didn’t have that sling because the line was quite time-consuming and we are not the kind of person who stays only for a sling (haha!). So we continue roaming around and there were some people who also roam around while giving brochures, as a result we have collected a lot of different brochures. When we notice that some of our classmates are not around anymore we immediately looked for the room where the seminar is held.

We went in a bit late in the 'ERIC Dealer Management System' session; this tackles the ERIC DMS which is an end-to-end software solution for automotive dealer operation. ERIC DMS range of solutions covers Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA) and Service Management (SVM). It is also supported by a robust back-end system on parts and supplies inventory, over the counter sales, purchasing and requisite financial modules for financial accounting and reporting.

The next session was about ‘HP Thin Client’. Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. During the session it was discussed that the typical computing solution for most enterprises is an unmanaged network. Unmanaged PC computing has its advantages: user autonomy, the ability to work independent of a network, and the ability to utilize graphics-intensive applications. However, unmanaged computing has significant drawbacks that lead to higher costs: lower security, increased downtime, and increased soft costs. Users are able to add, delete, and modify programs and data. Diskette drives allow for users to remove confidential data and load (intentionally or otherwise) harmful viruses. Companies that are able to utilize a thin client server computing solution are able to reap substantial savings and benefits versus companies that use traditional PC-based computing solutions. Below are some of the traditional pitfalls that commonly occur in an unmanaged computing network:
• Hard drive crashes resulting in data loss and user downtime
• Costly service calls to repair hardware and solve software problems
• Multiple images on different PCs leading to a different set of problems for each machine
• Theft of equipment
• Theft of data
• Applications are not standardized
• Version control is difficult to maintain
• Increased time spent deploying software and upgrades
• Difficulty establishing uniform standards in complex business environments, such as post-merger companies.

So, to avoid those pitfalls it is better to use HP Thin Client. (toinks!)
Anyway, there was a ‘question and answer’ portion at the end of the HP Thin Client session and the prizes were really good because they had given away four flash drives with 2 gb, a t-shirt, and an 8gb flash drive (whoa!). I was really eyeing for the 8gb flash drive but the question was quite hard (not really hard, I just haven’t written down the HP models which was the question.tssk3x.), but one of our classmates got it because the question had been changed and he happen to know the answer so he got it.

After HP Thin Client was ‘Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System’. This is a software suite built for the retailer designed to fully automate their business across all channels of commerce, it has a low TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) that provides quick return on investment (ROI). The facilitator discussed this subject very quickly because he was aware that we (the listeners) were a bit sleepy already. Honestly, that is all I can remember because I was indeed very sleepy that time. Peace!

My energy went back when I heard that the next session was about ‘Open Source for Business Applications’ catered by Spinweb. I only have a little knowledge about Open Source and I wanted to know more about it so I listened very well (hehe). Open source is an approach to the design, development, and distribution of software, offering practical accessibility to software’s source code. Some of the Open Source Technologies are: LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL PHP), Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress, OS Commerce, Zen Cart, Ruby on Rails, PHP Cake, Civi CRM and Moodle. I have also thought before that Open Source Application doesn’t have a license but because of this seminar I learned that it is actually licensed the thing is it is “free”. Chocolates were also given after the session because of the Q & A about the different logos of those Open Source Technologies that I have mentioned earlier. hehe
All those things happened on July 2, 2009 but I went back on July 3, 2009 and attended the ‘Windows Server 2008’ session. I am interested in this topic because on our DataComm II last semester we have discussed different servers but we were not able to discuss Windows Server 2008. The features of Windows Server 2008 are really nice compared to the other Windows Servers. Windows Server 2008 is designed to power the next generation of networks, applications and Web services. There are new Web tools, virtualization technologies, security enhancements, and management utilities which will help save time, reduce costs, and provide a solid foundation for your information technology (IT) infrastructure.

Attending COMDDAP was really a great experience for me. My favorites are the Open Source Business Applications, Windows Server 2008 and HP Thin Client. I have gained new learning and I am sure I will be able to use these learning in the future when I will be an IT Consultant or even for some decision makings. Maybe someday I will be part of a team who will build a website using an Open Source Application, or maybe I will use Windows Server 2008 and HP Thin Client…just maybe, someday..who knows? Hehe.. Very Happy

Reference:
www.wikipedia.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.misallabouts.blogspot.com
IK

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 12:59 pm

To Sir Gamboa..

Greetings!

Sir, I don't have an entry for this thread for i wasn't able to attend the said event due to continuous fever that resulted to my hospitalization after diagnosing of dengue fever that lasted a week of confinement with blood transfusion.

Hoping for your kindest consideration.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: COMMDAP LEARNINGS   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 6:52 pm

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Comdda10
COMMDAP REFLECTION

Last July 02, 2009, I together with my classmates attended a COMDDAP Exposition on its 23rd year! Held at Grand Ballroom, Apo View, Davao City.
What is COMDDAP?
Computer Manufaturers Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

=============================================o ∞O∞ o ==================================================
My Reflection:
We arrived their maybe 1:30pm. Before we get in, the staffs gave us a sticker which serves as our identification. I was amazed of what I saw. I was having fun trying those very nice and stylish technologic advancement with the latest I.T products and software for computing, imaging, printing, connecting and communications, security, entertainment, and lifestyle applications…whew!(together with my classmates). I saw the big CANON printer and wondered “if I have that can I use it for a small business ‘tarpaulin maker’??” hehehe.. Aside from that, we enjoyed falling in line for the freebies (candies, ballpens and a bag..whehehe!^_^ thank you to them. I also enjoyed taking pictures. Anyway, I was astonished when I saw my classmates getting some promotion prints and flyers of different booths and ask them about that. They just said that “we can use this for an evidence or for ‘remembrance’..hehe!” Actually, it really helps…weeeh! I’ll tell you later……^_^

We entered late at the first seminar of the nexus group because of falling in line on the booth of Smart featuring their latest promo ‘SANDBOX’ who are giving a free ID sling. Unfortunately, wala mi kakuha..T_T…when entered the room it is almost half way of their topic. Mr. Celmer Santos talked about Jupiter Systems Inc. and the ERIC (Enterprise Resource Information and Control) DMS. Honestly speaking, I was a quite bored that time because what I obtain on that topic is, they introduce to us their product and trying to sell it. Another is, I am not really interested in cars. Maybe, when ‘I grow up’..jeje.. The speaker told us that Jupiter Systems Inc.(JSI) is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years. This company contains service transactions, cars, etc. This company is one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems in the Philippines. It has 100 personnel and 100% Filipino-owned. He also shared that ERIC DMS is a complete, end-to-end solution for auto dealerships. The exhibitor opened up the general features, characteristics, process flow and some of the clients of the said DMS.

The next presenter is from HP invents who introduced the HP thin client. “Think Big, Go thin: HP Thin Clients” is the quotation phrase by Leonard Zapa a Market Development Manager. I am excited because I know that the said company was well-known to its premium quality of products such as the HP notebook and desktop computers, HP printers, HP scanners, etc. I am also energized when I heeded that he will be giving a price for those who can answer his questions. Hehe. Expectedly, me and my seatmates (Ilyn and Venus) took down notes and enthusiastically listen to the discussions. The speaker explained to us the HP thin client. A thin client is a computing device without a hard drive, which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PCs, and virtual desktops. As the issue goes on, I was so astounded and overwhelmed of its capabilities. It can be used independently, as a task specific computing device with a minimal set of application installed. A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server. Many thin client devices run only web browsers or remote desktop software, meaning that all significant processing occurs on the server. However, recent devices marketed as thin clients can run complete operating systems such as Debian Linux, qualifying them as diskless nodes or hybrid clients. Some thin clients are also called "access terminals." Many people that already have computers want the same functionality that a thin client has. Computers can simulate a thin client in a single window (as thru a browser) or with a separate operating system boot-up. Either way, these are often called "fat clients" to differentiate them from thin clients and computers without thin-client functionality.

As a consequence, the term "thin client", in terms of hardware, has come to encompass any device marketed as, or used as, a thin client in the original definition – even if its actual capabilities are much greater. The term is also sometimes used in an even broader sense which includes diskless nodes. There is a big difference between a desktop and server. A desktop computer is a personal computer (PC) in a form intended for regular use at a single location, as opposed to a mobile laptop or portable computer. Prior to the wide spread of microprocessors a computer that could fit on a desk was considered remarkably small.
As the subject matter goes on………. I feel so heavy-eyed and starting to siesta..hehe! And woke up when the speaker started to ask a question. Unfortunately, I am not lucky towho won a gift..huhu!
I revealed earlier about the promotion prints and flyers…..actually…. because of that, my mother bought me a laptop in that event. Hehe! lol!

VISIT MY BLOG Sleep Sleep Sleep
click here

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 5453_111
picture2 sa CR..jeje
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 5453_112
freebies..haha!

Last edited by Tanya Clarissa G. Amancio on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:35 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
athina alorro

athina alorro

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 22, 2009 3:11 pm

July 2, 2009

We arrived at the Apo View Hotel at about 2:00 in the afternoon.

The venue was jam-packed with people coming from different sectors not only students. There were exhibits about different products all over the places.

When we went to the function room for the seminar, the attendance personnel told us that first seminar already started so we have to wait for the current seminar to end before we could
enter.

While waiting for the first seminar to end, my friends and I explored the exhibits and toured around the venue.

Particularly, I visited the Neo Manufacturing and Services booth where I tried using some of their notebooks and surf the net for free! Hehe..

Too bad I didn’t made calling cards so that I could join some of the raffle draws by other exhibitors.

The Seminar..

The HP Thin Client presented by Nexus Technologies, Inc.

According to the HP Thin ClientFamily Brochure

HP Thin Clients are computing consoles deployed as access device on a network. These solid-state devices are connected to a server where the bulk ofdata processing takes place. Designed with no hard drive. Thin Clients allow for more secure storage of data and applications on the server, better than standard PC. The absence of a hard drive or any other moving part ensures a much longer lifespan for Thin Clients, significantly reducing power consumption.

You can also benefit from lower maintenance cost as software application updates, virus scanning and patches are executed on the server.Deployment costs are also reduced as Thin Clients can be remotely configured,without any individual set-up.

HP Thin Client solutions provide greater security an efficiency in your work procedures to meet the most diverse computing requirements.

They showed us that Thin Clients are already used by call centers and even universities in Thailand.

I can’t help but wonder..
When would our university adopt this kind of technology?

Retail Management System Overview by Nexus Professional Services and Solutions (NPSS)

This seminar discussed the key benefits of using Retail Management Systems particularly the Microsoft RMS in improving the efficiency of a business.

The speaker for this topic mentioned some key benefits such as streamline operations, improve profit margins and build customer loyalty to name a few.

As student at the moment, I admit that I didn’t really appreciate this kind of product as of now because I don’t have a business yet. But who knows? Maybe someday I might find this software quite handy…hehehe

Open Source for Business Applications by Spinweb Productions, Inc.

Of all the seminars that I attended during the COMDDAP Davao ’09, this is probably the most thought provoking.

The speaker referred their group as the “Black Sheep” of the Nexus Group because of the fact that they are the only company that campaign for open source technologies while their colleagues offer proprietary software.

According to the definition presented to us by the speaker, Open Source is an approach to the design, development, and distribution of software, offering practical accessibility to software’s source code.

The discussion started with the introduction of some Open Source Technologies that we already know and some that we were not familiar with up until that seminar. Some of the familiar ones are OpenOffice, Mozilla Firefox, GIMPshop, LimeWire, WordPress and VLC. The unfamiliar ones that they mentioned were Thunderbird, Pidgin, Transmission, Drupal , Joomla, Zen Cart and a whole lot more.

Free Software Vs. Open Source..

The speakers also discussed the issues concerning the conflict of definition between the Free Software and Open Source.

According to the Free Software Foundation, a software is considered a free software if it is allowed to be run for any purpose; modify the program for any purpose; copy program to help neighbor and improve program so that the whole community could benefit.

As far as I could remember the term “Free software” is an anti-commercial term while “Open Source” is not.

They also clarified that Open Source have licenses but most of their licenses are free contrary to the common belief that Open Source Technologies don’t have licenses.

On the Blue Corner: Open Source Technology

Using the assessment on the number of days that the web developers can make a website from scratch, the speaker showed us that using Open Source Technologies will really save time compared to proprietary ones. The web developers admitted that they can make a website based on the parameters used by the speaker in roughly 30 days. While in using Open Source the speaker showed that it will only take 16 days.

He explained the advantage of Open Source Technologies vs. the Proprietorship Software using what I call as the “Macbook Analogy” .

He asked us that if we were to buy a macbook from two stores who have the same features and price but the other store can give it to you a day earlier, which store would you likely choose to buy a macbook?

I thought, given that both stores have the same features and price..Of course I would definitely buy from the store that can give me my macbook earlier. It is obvious that my side at that time was on Open Source Technologies.

Aside from the point that using open source technologies can make some projects faster, they can be also be acquired for free. I mean, who doesn’t want free stuff? hehe

On the Red Corner: Proprietary Softwares

Just when almost everyone in the room was convinced that open source is a better choice compared to proprietary softwares, a gentleman raised his hand and asked a very interesting question to the speaker. As far as I could remember, this was his question…

“If you were given the chance to choose between using an open source technology and a proprietary system in a mission critical situation such as the automated 2010 election,which would you choose? “

The speaker answered that he cannot choose between the two because there are many variables that should be considered on a critical situation such as a nationwide election system.

The gentleman who asked the question was actually a representative from the Microsoft Company. Since no further questions was asked concerning the open source technologies, the gentleman asked the speaker if he could speak in front of us. The speaker agreed and let him talk to the audience.

The gentleman raised some interesting points that made me thought about the side of the proprietary softwares.

He clarified that he’s not entirely against open source technologies. He said that if he is a student and he needs a software for simple activity such as word processing, he would definitely use an open source for practicality.

But open source technology is not the only and best option on all situations particularly on mission critical situations.

He stressed that one of the important parameter to consider in choosing a software is the LEVEL OF LIABILITY that you need. If you will choose a proprietary system and if something goes wrong in your system at least you can sue someone. Unlike in open source where you can’t technically sue someone because you got it for free and it is up to you to develop it to your preferences. And if something goes wrong in your system and you are the top level programmer, it will be hard for you to find someone who can help you fix your system. And if you’re lucky to find a "stranger” who can fix it, it is likely that they may charge you more for it and may even request to have an in-depth look at your system which may compromise your system’s security.

He also used the the ‘Macbook Analogy’ ..

In his example, he asked the audience (which is us..) that if we were to choose between a macbook that is sold in a well respected retailer vs. a macbook sold by a stranger in a much cheaper price which would we choose?

He ended his speech with athought provoking quote.

Remember that there no such thing as free in this world.Everything has its own consequences. In Microsoft, you may pay more nowbut rest assured that you’ll get free support later while in open source, you may get it for free now but there is a possibility that you‘may’ pay more later.

And the crowd loved him. hehe

July 3, 2009

It was pretty noticeable that there were less people on the second day of the exhibit compared to yesterday.The main reason why I went on the exhibit was to drop some of my “calling cards” hoping to win some prizes.hehe

Windows Server 2008 by Edupro , Inc.

We learned all about the new features of Windows Server 2008 such as Read-Only
Domain Controller, Network Access, Hyper V to name a few.

I pretty much had an idea about this topic because we already discussed some Network Operating Systems such asthe Windows Server 2008 last semester in DataCom 2. hehe

Conclusion

Overall, I can say that attending the COMDDAP ’09 Davao was a wonderful learning experience.

I want to say thank you to Sir G. for giving us the opportunity to attend this amazing event. Hehe

FOR COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS AND VIOLENT REACTIONS
CLICK ME
Back to top Go down
http://www.athina09.blogspot.com
Jovanne Nick Cacayan

Jovanne Nick Cacayan

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 3:12 am

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Aw13

WHAT IS COMDDAP?
Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMDDAP) is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

OBJECTIVES:

* Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
* Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
* Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
* Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
* To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
* Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
* Foster and cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

Last July 2-4, COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009 was held at the Apo View Hotel, Davao City. I and my company arrived at the Apo View Hotel about 2:30 in the afternoon. When we got there, the staffs gave as sticker that serves as our gate pass and as our identification in the said event. There lots of people from different sectors who participated in that in that expo wherein IT products can contribute to there daily activities. I really enjoyed watching new advance gadgets form different IT manufacturing companies in the exhibits.

As the seminar begin, the speaker introduce to us the THIN CLIENT, a product of HP, a technology company that operates world wide and explore how technology and services can help people and companies address their problems and improving life and work. During that session, it was discussed the computing problems due to unmanageable computing. It has a big factor in taking some risks in doing our tasks, and activities through IT technology. To solve this current problems, hp invent thin client for theses purpose. some of its benefits and advantages are Enhanced security, Easier manageability, High reliability, Increased energy efficiency, Lower total cost ownership.

Thin client can help a lot in business industry as well as in implementing green computing. Because of its features it protects important data or files from viruses, the deployment is easy to manage, and it consume less energy if we compare it to a typical desktop computers.

As an IT student exhibits and seminars like these plays an important role in accomplishing our tasks. It informs us what are the trends and the latest advancement of technology that could help us in in providing solutions in dealing with Information Technology problems and on improving the quality of life for us. We must also consider the concern for the environment protection especially we all know that we are now facing environmental crisis. In fact, TECHNOLOGY is one of the biggest contributor why we are now experiencing climate change/ global warming , so through events like this, we can find our own little ways in conserving our environment.

BEING PART OF THIS KIND OF EVENT IS A GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO LEARN.... Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
joverly gonzales

joverly gonzales

PostSubject: COMDDAP[ DAVAO 2009   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 23, 2009 5:45 pm

COMDDAP REFLECTIONS/LEARININGS
Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines (Comddap)

EXPERIENING THE COMDDAP SEMINARS AND EXHIBIT

GOING to the venue:

We are going to APO VIEW HOTEL at 1:00 pm. As we go there we are very excited for the things that we want to experience. We have a lot of expectation on what we saw on that day. We expect for more hi-technology.

ARRIVAL:

As we arrived, they had a booth for the students who are participated for the said event. And also they had a booth for none students who attended the COMDDAP seminars and exhibit. There are also in charge for the counting of the participant of that day. The facilitator gives as a sticker. Those the said sticker is our identification that we are a students.

EXHIBIT:

As we come in to the exhibit area, there are lots of technologies that we saw. There are so many to be mentioned. Aside from the hi-technologies, some of the companies including smart gives freebies who fill-up there computerized form. I don’t know for what those form is, because we haven’t fill-up those one for the line is so long. They also give fliers for the promotion of there product. The Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines (Comddap) has gathered over 20 technology companies: Exhibitor companies include Astech Pengson Distributors, Inc., ATP Peripherals/Achieva, Axis Global Technologies, Inc., Brother International Phils., Corp., Canon Marketing Philippines, Inc., Chase Technologies Corporation, Epson Philippines Corp., Hitachi-Glee Electronics, MDR Microware Sales, MSI-ECS Philippines, Inc., Microwarehouse, Inc., Millennium Computer Technologies Corp., Neo-Glee Electronics, PLDTmyDSL, RASI Computers, Inc., Redwood Ventures, Sanyo Philippines, Inc., Trinity Marketing, Inc., and Wordtext Systems, Inc.
The participating companies was offered visitors special rates, trade-in promotions and bundled deals on desktops and peripherals, network equipment, multimedia projectors and accessories, office automation equipment, digital video and film cameras, imaging tools, papers and chemicals, servers, printers, scanners, plasma monitors, audio systems, broadband equipment and other related gadgets. The participating companies also was gives a discounted price for there costumers who brought there products during the COMDDAP event. Example for this is CANON, they are loads of freebies, promos, and discounts await Canon customers at the said events.

SEMINARS:

When we are tired, we decided join a seminars in the function area. We attended three (3) kinds of topics.

Here are the interesting topics that we were able to attend:

Arrow Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERIC-DMS)

[justify] Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated was the speaker of ERIC-DMS. He talked about the Brilliant Dealer Management System that widely used by Car Businesses. Anyway, Jupiter Systems, Inc. is a 24- year old software company and one of the members of the ERP systems of the Philippines. Their clients include Mitsubishi, Honda, Mazda, Volvo, and Nissan. Their Database Management Systems flow starts with the pre-sales, then vehicle sales and last is the after sales.

The Jupiter Systems’ has also Service Management General Features which are the following:

flower Advance bookings or Customer appointments
flower Operation maintenance or FLAT rates
flower Repair orders
flower Repair Estimates
flower Customer Service History
flower Technician Time-in or Time-out
flower Parts requisitioning and picking
flower Service invoicing
flower Warranty claims and processing
flower Field Service Actions (Campaigns)

Arrow The HP Company

Mr. Leonard Zapa, Market Deveopment Manager of HP Company is there speaker. He started with talking about Linux, CE, and XPe.

He also mentioned the following topics about Data security, reliability, Management, Remote PC alternatives, Virtualization, Lower TCO, Broadband and related.

He also introduced the widely used HP Thin Client. This is a computing device without a hard drive and can be used independently.

With its some features;

flower Enhanced security
flower Easy manageability
flower High reliability
flower Environment – friendly
flower Lower overall costs

At the end of the discussion, the participant of this seminar becomes more alive because the HP COMPANY gives some tokens. They have a question related to there topics and those who first answer there question can have a USD, some are T-SHIRT, the other is Optical MOUSE, or they’ve got two tokens.

Arrow Open Source for Business Applications

Open Source topic is one of the topics that I liked most. The speaker asked the audience of what is their definition about Open source. Some shared the following understanding: source code, free, open, contributor, no license, etc. There is a person besides us who really participate for the said topics. He is an IT Professional here in Davao.
The speaker gives us some of the Open Source Website. Some of those are joomlapolis.com, joomla.org.ph, and openwp.org. There are also an Open Source Software. One of those is PHP.

We have lots of learning in this topic. The speaker tells us about the benefits of an Open Source. He said Open source is reliable widely used, highly scalable and proven performance. But along the discussion there are person who come in to the discussion that makes us listen more attentively. It’s just like he contradicts the open source. He said that we need to examine the reliability level of software. And I never forget his last sentence. He said, “Open source- have it today but pay later while proprietary software- pay it today and we have the full help later.”

www.gonzalesJoverly.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
Edsa Fe Esio

Edsa Fe Esio

PostSubject: COMDDAP REFLETION   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 25, 2009 10:49 pm

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009
July 2-4
Apo View Hotel
Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Comddap

COMDDAP…

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO…

The biggest I.T expo held in the South…

With the speed that I.T. is evolving and becoming ever more pervasive in our everyday lives… an event “COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO was held”… a yearly event, to step up to the challenges of bringing something new to its market with every show.

To get up close and to take a first-hand at the latest I.T products and software for computing, imaging, printing, connecting and communications, security, entertainment and lifestyle applications.

This year, COMDDAP Davao stages the LCD Monitor Shootout. In tradition, this event within the main event brings together the top LCD monitor brands in the world in a showdown of their most brilliant features in terms of graphics, photo and video display.

Other regular events in store for the visitors are the:
Technology Update series of Seminars and Workshop
Product Demos
as well as Event Discount
Raffle Draws
and generous giveaways for lucky attendees

The Technology Update Sessions…

Led by Nexus group and in collaboration of:

Presented by Nexus Group (TNG) Title
1. Jupiter Systems
The ERIC Dealer Management System
2. Nexus Technologies Inc.
The HP Thin Client
3. EduPro, Inc.
Windows Server 2008
4. Spinweb Productions, Inc.
Open Source For Business Applications
5. The Nexus Professional Services and Solutions (NPSS)
Retail Management System Overview

TECHNOLOGY UPDATE SESSION…

The sessions that I attended in the event are…

The HP Thin Client - Thin clients are computing devices hat function as an access device
on network.
- a computer without hard disk
- use flash for storage
- sharing and processing data
- pre-active for security

Open Source For Business Applications – Open source development of business
applications has proven to lower acquisition costs, and decrease vendor lock-in reliance and obsolescence rate so that even commercial software giants have knowledge the rise of this technology by allowing interoperability.

Windows Server 2008 – showcasing the new features of windows server 2008, such as
Read-Only Domain Controller, Network Access Protection, Server Core, Active Directory Rights Management Services, and Hyper-V.

REFLECTION…

We were able to attend the COMDDAP EXPO event for new latest technology that was participated by the different sectors of the country. Including the business people and tech-people, we, student was also given the chance to participate and observed in the event and see the new gadgets and observed the exhibitors presenting their new products.

The first session that I was attended was HP Thin Client, a computing device that have no hard drive, with displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PC’s or virtual desktops and processes programs at this same time. It also presents new features than a computer desktop doesn’t have.

The next one was the Open Source which opened our mind and clarifies things regarding open source. The session runs smoothly and interesting in my part. They also introduced some applications that support open source. It was also pointed out that open source is not actually free but of license free that made it an open source to everyone. On the run of discussion one of the representatives of Microsoft also presented himself and expressed his opinion regarding open source and proprietary. The exchange of thoughts was motivating and thought-provoking. They even discourse about the automation of election in the country in regards of using open source or proprietary application. Both sides were have their own idea and point on their stand, different views and opinions on the subject matter and stressed out that there are a lot of things to consider in choosing open source and proprietary. Eventually, it was a good factor to relate the issue of election since the election is soon to come and it was knowledgeable occurrence for us, students to witness an interaction of tech-people expressing their views.

The last one was the Windows Server 2008 that showcases the new features of the application for businesses where it addresses the needs of a business transaction and everyday activities. It was also discussed the benefits and convenience it offers to the users and the owner in terms of inventory, online access and many more.

I, personally, glad that we were invited in the said event because we were able to witness an event that gives us knowledge and information of the current technology we have nowadays. It was also an opportunity to us, students, to be part of the event for it was a great experience to even just observed to the tech-people discussing or sort of defending their products from others. Honestly, it was my first time to be part of that kind of activity and I am thankful for it. Hopefully, it won’t be my first and last because as a student it would be a big contribution to our learning.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Withmr
-picture picture together with the Microsoft Representative-

please visit my blog...
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
amielou.falcon

amielou.falcon

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptySun Jul 26, 2009 1:26 am

My COMDDAP learning’s…

The day for me had ended. I felt exhausted, tired and weary, yet, learned. I am about to lean my back when the flashback starts.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I woke up at 6:00 in the morning. It was Thursday, 2nd day of July. Luckily, I have no scheduled class for this day because my subject facilitators are of their offices for some good reasons but again, assignments and tasks are left as they are not around, so I decided to fix a little bit of my responsibilities.
Half of the day was spent for my MIS 1 and HRM subject. It is stressful. Well, maybe because we are not prepared that much. What I did was, I just take the other way around, and learning is fun!
It made me hungry, so we took our lunch afterward we went to our destination, Apo View Hotel. Right there, BSIT students and other guests attended an exhibit launch by COMDDAP wherein businesses related to gadgets and IT is gathered to purchase their products as well as to introduce it to the guests.
Well, anyway……..

My honor to share with you folks what is COMDDAP ‘09 all about.
COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009
July 2-4, Apo View Hotel, Davao City
THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

Since then, COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and bannered by these specific objectives:
Arrow Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
Arrow Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
Arrow Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
Arrow Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
:arrow:Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
Arrow Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
Arrow Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

On the other part of the event, some company representatives including students, guests and visitors are gathered to listen to the companies who introduced their respective products.

First to the list is the ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System.

They introduces the ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System
The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-t-o-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services.
Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting.
With ERIC DMS, you can have full visibility over all operations.
Achieve total control over your car dealership business today!

http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1

Second presenter was the Thin Client.
According to the presenter and site I had visit, Thin Clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client

http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html

bounce bounce
drunken drunken drunken

Along the presentation, I realized how we come to be one of the spectators because of our relation to the products being presented. Though we are not used into business but somehow, technology which they had featured most was a big relevant to our field of study.

sunny sunny
I am thankful enough to have the opportunity of the said gathering. Not to mention my first time in place where it was held as well as our first subject outside-the-campus activity.
queen queen

With my course, I was then convinced how fast-paced my environment is. I am loving my chosen career now more and more as days goes by. I do hope my course will love me back.

I pray to pass this all. Well, at the end of the day, I made some post. tsk!tsk! lol! lol!
It was a long day after all, filled with experiences. I’m looking forward for more.

Thank you COMDDAP.
cheers

snapshots during the exhibit...

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Comdap10

[im in red!, together with my classmates]

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Comdap13
Back to top Go down
Michelle Adlawan

Michelle Adlawan

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 3:33 pm

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Tech

July 2, 2009 – We went at the Apo View Hotel Grand Ballroom area to be part of the major information and communication technology exhibit-sale showcasing a wide array of technologies, solutions, and gadgets – COMDDAP Expo. “Weaving the way towards technology.” was the years theme of this IT expo. COMDDAP which stands for Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines is an association of the country's top information technology businesses which mains objective is to promote the sustainable development of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It has been four years ago since its last trade show here in Davao and it returned for a three-day (July 4-9) computer and technology exhibit-sale. They continue year after year to step up to the challenge of bringing something new to its market with every show.

We arrived at the area at 1:30 pm and we were given stickers at the entrance that labelled STUDENT which we attached to our IDs. Then we enter the Grand Ballroom area. I don’t know about my colleagues but I was definitely amazed with the whole bunch of computer and technology products displayed there. We were actually supposed to get there early by 1pm to attend the first part of the seminar held inside the conference area of the Main Ballroom of the hotel in which we are scheduled to attend. We were sorry we got late but we were still lucky we can still join the second part of the seminar which would start at 2pm. So the last 30 minutes of waiting for the next session of the seminar, we decided to roam around the area and visit the every booth of the exhibit. There were lots of people there, mostly students and business manufacturers. It was actually open for all who are interested in IT. All of the booths were full of people who seemed so enticed with the technology and gadgets they presented. There were a lot of manufacturers and distributors who displayed there products. Some of them that I remember are Smart Communications, HP, Dell, and a lot more. It was a showcase of new innovations and new applications of technologies nowadays. Surveillance cameras, printers, laptops, LCD monitors, digital cameras, and any electronic accessories and cleaner-products were some of the products exhibited in the expo. There were a lot of students from different schools and universities. I even met someone I knew which is also a student of another school. He told me he was with his classmates and they also went there to see the IT Expo. You can see from their faces the excitement and amazement of the new technology of today.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Com

The other event in COMDDAP Davao 2009 is the Tech Updates series of seminars and workshops, product demos, as well as event discounts, raffle draws and generous giveaways for lucky attendees. These sessions were given by some of the renowned IT developers and they are The Nexus Group, Jupiter Systems, Inc., Edupro Inc., and Spinweb Inc. During the first session which we were not able to attend, the students who were lucky to be there were able to listen to the first speaker. Base from what they have seen and told us, the speaker were from the Jupiter Systems, Inc. It was about ERIC - DMS (Enterprise Resource Information and Control - Dealer Management System) – an end-to-end software solution for automotive sales parts, and service businesses. It is said to be used by major dealership operations in the region and it supports full functionality for vehicle dealership business. ERIC DMS’ ranges of solutions cover CRM Pre-Sales, Vehicle Sales & Administration, Service Management, and CRM Post Sales. It was more of automotive business management and honestly I really can’t relate on this topic. Cars don’t get my interest. Hehe!

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Hp

Next session was from the Nexus Technologies, Inc which we are at last able to attend. Before the session started, the speaker announced that he’ll be giving freebies (i.e. USB Flash disks, T-Shirts) for those who can answers his questions right after the presentation. So the attendees specially the students listened attentively to the speaker as he discussed his presented product. His product was the HP Thin Client which he I was able to see eye-to-eye because he brought a product demo with him. As he said and presented in the session, HP Thin Client is computing device without a hard drive, which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PCs, and virtual desktops. It is said to be easy to deploy and manage, more secure (where it stores critical user data and applications on the secure, centralized server. It was really amazing to see such product as that. With all its great advantages discussed during the session, we can’t deny the fact that we were convinced with the product. Just too bad for the manufacturers, we just couldn’t afford to buy one. Hehe! Afterwards, the discussion ended and it followed by the question and answer part which made all the people in the room so excited. All of them were eager to answer and some of my fellow classmates were able to grab some of the freebies given by speaker. It was really fun.

The third part of the session is the Retail Management System Overview which is given by the Nexus Professional Services and Solutions (NPSS). It was a by invitation seminar so we were not able to take part of the session. We just went out and go back to the exhibit area. There was also another session after the Retail Management System Overview which is the Open Source for Business Applications given by Spinweb Productions Inc. Unfortunately, we were also not able to attend the session because we got out the hotel and when we went back, the seminar had started already. Because of that, we just continued to roam around the exhibit area and thoroughly touch and see the products displayed in the expo. I was undeniably regretful of missing the last seminar. A friend of mine said that the speaker was so good and he even talked about the automation of the 2010 election in our country. It was very informative which everyone was so impressed to his opinion with regards to the matter. It is so sad I was not there to listen to it personally. But on the positive side, I was delighted with the learning I have gathered in the IT Expo. It was really a help of upgrading my technical knowledge of being an IT student. Nice one!

Back to top Go down
emilio jopia jr.

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 30, 2009 8:47 pm

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections

About COMDDAP…

(Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines) COMDDAP held
an Expo last June 2-4, 2009 at The Apo View Hotel, Davao City

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective
is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry
through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to
provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government,
and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines
fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers
Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's
leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

The Expo...

We went to the Apo View Hotel to witness an exhibit on different technology products and to attend
a seminar on different organizations

It is a three day expo (July 2-4, 2009) that showcases Information Technology (IT). In the hall, are
numbers of companies were there to display their products in their respective booths. This event is not
just a display of best and latest products offered by different businessmen that recognizes Information
Technology as a need in fulfilling the full length of their business’ offers.

Seminars…

We attended 3 different seminars, the first seminar we attended is the ERIC DMS -
Dealer Management System
which is under the Jupiter Systems which is a Philippine based
IT Services company dedicated to delivering solutions for medium to large companies. We offer
services covering the entire range of business activities- from marketing and promotion,
procurement/supply chain management, manufacturing, distribution, financial reporting,
business intelligence, and even IT infrastructure security and maintenance.

The ERIC Dealer Management System is an end-to-end software for automotive sales parts,
and service businesses. It covers full range of dealer activities from Customer prospecting and
vehicle services. It also has many features and services need for car dealers.

With ERIC DMS, you can have full visibility over all operations like:

The second seminar we attended is about the HP Thin Client which is presented by the
Nexus Technologies. As far as I know, HP Thin Client A thin is an end to end solution widely used
by most of the biggest company all over the world. Compared to the Central Processing Unit, HP
THIN client is more secure especially in times when there is an error being encountered. HP THIN client
reboot to remove virus since it has a deep freeze solution an scan auto- save files even without memory.

A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in
client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central serverfat client does as
much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server for
processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the
remote server. A thin client, sometimes called a lean client, is a low-cost, centrally-managed computer
devoid of CD-ROM players, diskette drives, and expansion slots. The term derives from the fact that
small computers in networks tend to be clients and not servers.

The HP thin Client has the following advantages like enhance security, easy manageability, environment
friendly and lower over-all cost.

The last seminar we attended was the Open Source for Business Application which tackled
about open source, open source softwares and open source for business applications.
They also discussed about the issue concerning Open Source Technology and Proprietary Softwares.

All I can say is that COMDDAP 2009 is indeed a great experience!

References:
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/edms.aspx
http://www.hp.com/canada/corporate/hp_info/aboutus.html
Back to top Go down
Venus Millena

Venus Millena

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

The class is advised to attend the COMDDAP seminar at the Apo view hotel. COMDDAP stands for Computer Manufacturers, Distributers and Dealers Association on the Philippines, Davao City on July 2-4, 2009. This event is allowing consumer and businessman to converge on the new and more innovative technologies and gadgets that are available in the market. The seminar invited everyone. Setting aside the purpose of marketing and profit, they indulged public awareness that technologies is only at hand. They looked forward on inviting students for the benefit of spreading around shrewdness to new and up coming individuals that will governs to the society in coming years, and it is us! Indeed.

The event has attained the purpose of public awareness, but for some who’s most likely the same as me that knows nothing it really screwed up. It triggered me that the world is now competes what the best, most expensive and efficient technologies the worlds introducing us. I found out it is not precisely the latest of today if give emphasizes on global aspects but still is new to us, for the factor of belonging on being on the third-world country. But still, the seminar was good and nice.

However, the set-up about the venue is not conducive for me, lack of marketable for having difficulty on recognizing their products because unmanaged and unwise disseminating and allocating their individual booth for displaying. Somehow, other booths lack of good personnel that could helped in communicating and accommodating students like us, to explain and extend student awareness of how and what the gadgets all about and how to deal with it. It was on the display area.

The following are some company ventures and products display in the COMDDAP:

1. LCD monitors Shootout. Exposing top LCD monitor brands in the world in a showdown of their most brilliant features in terms of graphics, photo and video display.

2. Adobe for network publishing software with tools that help users create, manage and deliver graphics.

3. Corel which produces full-featured, easy to use productivity, graphics and digital imaging software.

4. The Canon Marketing Philippines Incorporated introduced their newest cutting edge imaging products, solutions and services to aid its customers in producing superior quality graphics and prints for more than a decade.

5. Ng Khai Development Corporation which provides ICT infrastructure, solutions and digital lifestyle products and services Exposing their partnership with as IBM, Microsoft, HP, Lenovo, Cisco, Intel, Imation and Symantec. Ng Khai Development is authorized reseller of top brands of projectors, surveillance equipment and PABX systems.

6. Smart Communications Incorporated showcased their wireless broadband service the SmartBro. It is a high-speed broadband internet connection that wirelessly delivers internet service to your PC. It runs on Smart’s newest and fastest mobile network and is available in Postpaid Plans and Prepaid Units.

7. Autodesk, Fox chit Business Systems, Symantec, Trinity Marketing, Word text Systems Incorporated, McAfee and etc.

Meanwhile, weary feet needs some rest, in this moment we decided to precede in the main course which the seminar itself. Though, not really conducive because of the small size of the venue it still did not disturb on the intention of the spectators. The discussion that retained on my mind and lesson learned were the following:

The Jupiter Systems, Incorporated was the host of the 1-2pm exposition. It told and discussed about Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERICDMS) Brilliant Dealer Management System which involves car dealerships and service transactions. Jupiter Systems, Inc., is a 24- year old software company and one of the members of the ERP systems of the Philippines. Mitsubishi, Honda, Mazda, Volvo, and Nissan are some of the car companies that are using their system. Their Database Management Systems process flow starts with the pre-sales, then the vehicle sales and last is the after sales. The Jupiter Systems Service Management General Features are Advance bookings or Customer appointments, Operation maintenance or FLAT rates, Repair orders, Repair Estimates, Customer Service History, Technician Time-in or Time-out, Parts requisitioning and picking, Service invoicing, Warranty claims and processing and Field Service Actions(Campaigns).

The next host shared and exhibited was the Thin Client computing introduced by the representative from HP company with tag line HP: Think Big; Go Thin” .Simply tackled about how efficient having this computer than a desktop. They boastfully credited their product as the best and somewhat nicer than the others. Thin Client is of small packages but with great benefits like efficient design and longer life span.

Research from WIKIPEDIA.COM
"Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. A thin client is a computing device without a hard drive, which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PCs, and virtual desktops. As the speaker discussed about the features of the HP Thin Client, we couldn’t help but be overwhelmed of its capabilities as a device. The thin client is primarily designed for task-based users, or those who only had 1 or 2 applications running on their machines, such as ticketing offices, internet kiosks, and the like. It is also to address the concern of IT professionals who are faced with challenges in providing information security (i.e. loss of data due to hardware/software failures, virus and malicious attacks, theft and natural disasters), deployment and maintenance, and total cost of ownership (TLO).
With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client."

Comment:

During all the exposition I attended it was all boring for I’m not familiar with all of these but I still managed to comprehend due to the classmates I asked and I thank them, and further readings…My only regrets is not being attended on the last exposition that involved the issue of proprietary and open source…Don’t cry over spilled milk right?! My only consolation was just my classmates attended with that seminar told us something about the discussion and shared their knowledge…Lesson learned aside from stated above is that grab the opportunity of free seminars and symposiums…hehehe Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 5453_110 Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://venus_astarte16@yahoo.com
Jevelyn Labor

Jevelyn Labor

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 2:05 am

My thread was lost!!!!
Wooohh
i can still remember typing it one by one but when i was trying to browse all my posts it's gone affraid

Sir?? Nang delete ka??? ngtatanong lang pohh huhu

COMDDAP stand for Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines which was held during July 2-4, 2009.This event is held to Discover new technology and applications that will help increase productivity in different business. To meet up with top distributors and resellers of the world's leading brand names.To Gain market intelligence and be updated on the latest market trends.

First company was Jupiter Systems Inc.. Jupiter Systems Inc.(JSI) is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years. This company contains service transactions, cars,, etc.. this company is one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems in the Philippines. It has 100+ personnel and 100% Filipino-owned.
The speaker introduced the DELAER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (DMS). DMS is a bundled system created specifically for car dealerships or large equipment manufactures such as Caterpillar_Inc dealerships, and also adapted for Boat, RV, and Power sports dealers. These systems often contain software that cater to the needs of the finance, sales, parts, inventory and administration components of running the dealership. One of their functions can be automating tax returns.[1]
DMS software typically includes support for all aspects of running a dealership such as:
Tracking vehicle inventory
Tracking sales
Finance and insurance calculations
Menu Selling Systems
Tracking customers (and customer follow up)
Accounting
Managing dealer website
Calculating employee commissions
Purchase order tracking
Parts inventory
Work order management
Appointment scheduling
A typical DMS installation includes a central server which stores all data, allowing multi-user access for as many as 50 or more client computers. Some installations may include thin clients. Other DMS providers use a centrally-hosted, or application service provider model.
This system deals a complete end to end solution, storing vehicle sales( model, accessories, charges), vehicle services, back office operations and financial reporting.
The following are the New Modules of DMS:
Customer
Vehicle Sales
Service Management
Parts Inventory.
The system support sales of new nd used vehicles. It is useful because it is easy to scan the data, it is automated.

The Pre- Sales Features are the following: sales lead monitoring from initial inquiry to actual close, sales quotation processing, sales appointments, supervisor review of appointment schedules and sales call, monitor sales stages, classifies sales probabilities, keeps all call histories, prospect follow-up reminder, and lead generation reports. The Service Management General Features are advance bookings/customer application; Operation Maintenance; Repair Orders- Estimates,Customer Service Leadership. This system involves Preventive System, Technicians Time and Out, Parts Requisitioning and Picking, Service Invoking, warranty claims and Processing, Field Servicing Actions, Service Reminders, Customer Feedback.

The next company was Hp Thin Client.

The speaker was a Market Development. Thin Client is a computing device without a hard drive which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade Pc's or virtual desktops. It can be used independently, as a task specific computing device with a minimal set of application installed. A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.
The term was coined in 1993 by Tim Negris, VP of Server Marketing at Oracle Corp., while working with company founder Larry Ellison on the launch of the landmark Oracle7 release of the company's flagship relational database management system (RDBMS). Ellison had charged Negris with finding a way to boldly differentiate Oracle's server-centric software from the decidedly desktop-oriented products of then-rival Microsoft. Thin Client became Ellison's relentless battle cry, repeated in hundreds of speeches, interviews and articles attendant to the release of Oracle7 and many other products after that.
Many thin client devices run only web browsers or remote desktop software, meaning that all significant processing occurs on the server. However, recent devices marketed as thin clients can run complete operating systems such as Debian Linux, qualifying them as diskless nodes or hybrid clients. Some thin clients are also called "access terminals." Many people that already have computers want the same functionality that a thin client has. Computers can simulate a thin client in a single window (as thru a browser) or with a separate operating system boot-up. Either way, these are often called "fat clients" to differentiate them from thin clients and computers without thin-client functionality.
As a consequence, the term "thin client", in terms of hardware, has come to encompass any device marketed as, or used as, a thin client in the original definition – even if its actual capabilities are much greater. The term is also sometimes used in an even broader sense which includes diskless nodes.[1]
The Client Virtualization / Remote Client Solution is divided into 3. Access, Network, and compute. Compute contains SEC( Service Base Computer), VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) and Blade.

There is a big difference between a desktop and server. A desktop computer is a personal computer (PC) in a form intended for regular use at a single location, as opposed to a mobile laptop or portable computer. Prior to the wide spread of microprocessors a computer that could fit on a desk was considered remarkably small. Today the phrase usually indicates a particular style of computer case. Desktop computers come in a variety of styles ranging from large vertical tower cases to small form factor models that can be tucked behind an LCD monitor. In this sense, the term 'desktop' refers specifically to a horizontally-oriented case, usually intended to have the display screen placed on top to save space on the desk top. Most modern desktop computers have separate screens and keyboards. A specialized form of desktop case is used for home theater PC systems, incorporating front-panel mounted controls for audio and video. This contains data, application, updates, anti-virus and also back-up. A server is any combination of hardware or software designed to provide services to clients. When used alone, the term typically refers to a computer which may be running a server operating system, but is commonly used to refer to any software or dedicated hardware capable of providing services. It includes services, storage, and firewall. The Thin Client Server contains data and application, deployment and updates, anti-virus and firewalls, back-up and storage and services.

“The smaller the gadget or device is, the higher, bigger and useful it is. Just like a Thin Client, there are some of the features that desktops do not have. The benefits of Thin Client are enhanced security, easy to manage ability, high reliability, environment-friendly and lower overall costs.

It was my first time to attend a seminar in COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines). We arrived at the Apo Bayview Hotel at exactly 1:40 pm. Suppose to be we would attend the 1st session but since we are not familiar with the venue, we arrived late that time. The second session is about The ERIC Dealer Management System - Jupiter Systems, Inc. Honestly, at first I am not concentrating on the words of the speaker. It’s because the speaker, MR. Celmer Santos, was a handsome guy.haha. I just stared at him for minutes and BOOM! I have to focus na pala with what he’s saying. Most of the things that he said are not very familiar for my vocabulary.haha. I cant relate, sobra. Haha. I almost felt dizzy because of the silence around.

- I was in real freeze –

Because we are late, we occupied the first seats. And those front seats are facing a huge aircon. Buti sana kung medyo medium sized aircon but unfortunately, its larger than me. Haha. So for the whole 2 hours of session I was suffering from ICEBURN!! . I think it’s about 5°C ? haha! Damn.

What I enjoyed is about the session is the 2nd speaker, Mr. Leonardo Zapa. He’s not that hunk guy everyone would like to stare, but he’s humor and expertise on the features of the product his endorsing is really impressive. WOW. His session is about The HP Thin Client - Nexus Technologies, Inc. Even though most of the computer terminologies (particularly in hardware) that came out from his mouth are not familiar to me, he still managed to caught my attention and I listened as if I understand every thing that he said. The most enjoyable part was the last part in which he throws a question unto us and if one of us gets it right… prices are given. Take note! They are not ordinary prices (flash drives (1 GB, 2 GB, 8 GB) and t-shirts). Unfortunately, I did not get any of it, woohhhhh. It’s because I AM NOT THAT FAST I RAISING MY HAND . Of course I know the answers(except in the last)haha.

All in all, I enjoyed COMDAPP TECH TALKS and learned some things that I know I will be carrying through my runway.wahaha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tipukling3.blogspot.com
karl philip abregana

karl philip abregana

PostSubject: COMDDAP reflection   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:06 am

What is COMDDAP?

The annual COMDDAP endeavor encourages its participants to launch their products and services, as well as hold seminars with a variety of topics in the areas of technology, trends, applications, and information management.

COMDDAP's biggest leap was being able to cross boarders or go regional by bringing the exposition down south in Cebu and Davao City, and to even greater heights in the cities of Baguio and Naga, and most recently, in Iloilo City.

Apart from its exhibits, the organization holds COMDDAP Leaning Center Project and Training the Trainors program. This is part of the civic and social responsibility programs that the association has vowed to pursue. The project provides public high school students and public school teachers the opportunity to learn basic computer theories, get hands-on experience, and become familiar with computers.

My Experience..

It was July 2, 2009 when we visited the expo held at APO View Hotel, it was very interesting because there's a lot of new technologies displayed in the said event. With their seminars, we gain knowledge which are related to our course. I was amazed with the thin clients despite its slim size, the t5720 Thin Client is full of features: it’s powered by the AMD Geode NX 1500 processor with 512 MB of Flash memory and a standard complement of either 256 MB or 512 MB of DDR RAM.

What are the Key Features of an HP thin client?

• Reliability: Solid-state design means no moving parts, which results in higher reliability, lower ownership costs, and extended product life.

• Design security: HP makes it easy to lock down user settings and parameters on the client, or add a Smartcard reader for user authentication. Additionally, all critical user data and applications reside on your secure, centralized server. HP Sygate Security Agent is pre-installed on all t5720 Thin Clients.

• Improved manageability: HP’s alliance with Altiris brings a leading management solution to the thin client market. Altiris Deployment Solution’s standards-based, advanced thin client management solution helps reduce the costs of deploying, updating, and maintaining your thin clients. Free with each HP client!

• Open operating system: The HP Compaq t5720 Thin Client offers Genuine Windows XP Embedded operating system with Citrix ICA, Microsoft’s latest RDP client, Internet Explorer 6.0, Windows Media Player 9.0, and terminal emulations.

• Processing power: The processing power your workers need for a great server-based computing experience, whether running general office applications or your specific line of
business software on a terminal server.

• Smart graphics: Support for HP’s latest monitors with superior resolution, outstanding color, and high refresh rates.

• Invisible client: HP’s unique thermal design allows the t5720 to be mounted in many orientations. Recapture desktop space by utilizing HP Quick Release mounting solution. Chassis can be set either vertically or horizontally for positioning on a desktop or mounting on a wall, under a desk, or even on the back of a compliant monitor.

• Connectivity: Advanced connectivity features include a wide range of ports and support for options including smart card readers, modems, and other common options.
Back to top Go down
Michael George Guanzon

Michael George Guanzon

PostSubject: Reflections/Learnings   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 4:28 am

COMDDAP 2009

Last July 2,3 and 4 COMDDAPP held at Apo View Hotel Davao, it advertises the advances of the new technologies. The event featured new products from different manufacturers that exhibits their new designed models of computer related products such as notebooks by neo, printer enhancement for business solutions, motherboards for servers, new designed harddisk by western digital company, and media CD’s, and DVD’s. There are also exhibits of newly designed computer monitors and System units from different manufacturers which attracts many visitors. One of the important events is seminars from different companies and groups that promote their new products and other services to the market. And I attended three different seminars; first is the Thin Clients from Hewlett Packard, the second one was Windows server 2008 by the EDUPRO, and the last is the Open source and the free source seminar.

This are the list of sessions that I attended:

1.Thin Clients by HP (Hewlett Packard)
The speaker in this seminar was Leonard Zapa, the Market Development Manager in Remote Client Solutions Group.

HP Thin Client is a computing device desktop and a solid state device. It does not have hard drive on it. According to the exhibitor, it is more reliable, stable and last longer compare to the thick desktop . Thin clients are actually “thin” that benefits space, it has 8 USB ports, 2 USB ports are kept inside its casing for the purpose of protecting the USB devices such as flash drives against accidents. A thin client needs a server, a central device where the operating system is installed.

Since it does not have a hard disk inside, it is not susceptible to virus attack and power failure. Because the operating system is actually not installed on the device.According to the speaker thin clients are just an extension monitor to the user but with advanced features. Clients work when it is connected to the server via networking and it accesses the server when the user login’s on the device. When the user do something on the device the client works like it has an operating system installed on it but actually it only access the system over the network to the server. According to the speaker it has the ability to detect viruses because once a virus is detected it automatically shuts downs and reboots, and the virus is gone.

Benefits that the thin clients offers:
Enhance Security
Easy Manageability
Environment Friendly
Lower Over-all Cost

Thin Clients only needs 11watts to 20 watts of power, so it saves up to 80% of your energy expenses compared to desktop computers. Since it does not have a harddisk inside, it generates less heat and extra cooling is not a requirement.

Here below are the factors to be considered in analyzing the total cost of ownership according to Mr. Zapa:

a.) Hardware cost
b.) Power consumption
c.) Heat dissipate
d.) Space saving

Thespeaker added that the life span of the thin client is longer than the desktop computers because desktop spans only 3 years of service, HP Thin client spans 5years guaranteed. HP Thin client offers more reliability and cost effective for business solution and thin clients give extra security to the system.

2. Windows Server 2008
The speaker of the seminar was Mr. Lee L. Gorospe, Technical Trainer from EDUPRO Inc.,
He discussed about Active Directory Roles,Active Directory Rights Management Service,Read Only Domain Controllers,Hyper-V,Network Access Protection and Server Core.
The speaker shows us how windows server 2008 provides the user an ease to perform these task on real operation.

Read Only Domain Controllers: one of the new improved feature of server 2008 that gives an option for deploying a new domain controller that can be deployed at a perimeter or branch office recommended for sites that are lacking IT personnel or physical, security and provides three benefits namely: Increased productivity, a solution for sites/office that has no or poor physical server security, and lower impact on theft or Error.

Hyper-V: Hypervisor based virtualization is another improved feature of Windows Server 2008 is the virtualization. Virtualization reduces costs, increases hardware utilization, optimizes your infrastructure and, improves server availability.

Network AccessProtection (NAP): NAP is a platform that enforces compliance with health requirements for network access or communication. NAP is available in Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Microsoft Windows Vista and, an upgrade of Microsoft Windows XP with service pack 3.

The communication method can be of the following:
Internet Protocol security (IPsec)-protected communications
IEEE 802.1X-authenticated network connections
Remote access virtual private network (VPN) connections
Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) configuration

In this session, it provides us information about the new advancements of the Microsoft Company and updates us to the new platforms and systems soon we will be using.

3. Open Source for Business Applications
According to the speaker ,Open Source is the software that is free of use, in which the original source code is openly available for users to examine and modify, to use to run, reinstall the software, modify and enhance the software, and redistribute for better use and performance.

One of the best examples mentioned by one of the speaker is the Ubuntu. Ubuntu is an operating system consisting of free and open source software. With Ubuntu you can surf the web, read email, and create documents, spreadsheets and more! Ubuntu is powerful and flexible for business, education and home use.

According to the speaker, Open source software is different from free software even though they are the same as free. Open source software is considered distinct from free software, which is also open source but can be used for any purpose and without any costs or restrictions. Both open source software and free software are different from software provided for free (freeware) by commercial software manufacturers that do not allow access to the original source code.

I learned a lot from the discussions and known different latest gadgets. I hope next year there will be COMDDAP EXPO again..ehehe

Back to top Go down
Lynneth C. Llemit

Lynneth C. Llemit

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 12, 2009 5:28 am

Im absent when the event happened. I do not have an entry for this topic. Crying or Very sad

sorry sir..sorry for myself
Sad
Back to top Go down
http://angbantotmo.blogspot.com/
Sarah Jean Tisara

Sarah Jean Tisara

PostSubject: COMDDAP Experience   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 14, 2009 4:29 am

Last July 2, 2009, COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO was held at Grand Ballroom, Apo View Hotel, Davao City. As part of our MIS subject, we went there to take part on the said event and attend a seminar regarding the different technology. It was a 3 days affair, participated with several companies, advertisers, teachers and students.

To attend and have a chair for the seminar, days before we registered ourselves as one of the participants in their official event site. There are different speakers and scheduled time, and some are by invitation only, so I took the same schedule with my classmates.

COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES (COMDDAP)

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies.

On the day of Seminar

I arrived late, so I was little shy to enter the convention room alone. Some of my classmates are inside the room already, but some are still on their way, so I decided to wait for them. As I was waiting, I roam around and observe the exhibit. Several new gadgets, computers, and technology were exhibited there. The people were so accommodating and very eager to promote their products to everyone. The students, especially, are having a good time trying and discovering something new. People are free to use the Internet, explore the displayed notebooks, claim several freebies, and educate themselves with the new knowledge in the exhibit brought by COMDDAP.

When we my classmates and I entered the convention room, it’s HP turns to promote and talk about their product, and it was Thin Client. According to my classmates, the previous speaker was from Jupiter Systems Incorporated. He talked about Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERICDMS) Brilliant Dealer Management System. Jupiter Systems, Inc. is a 24- year old software company and one of the members of the ERP systems of the Philippines. The Jupiter Systems’ has also Service Management General Features which are the following:

1. Advance bookings or Customer appointments
2. Operation maintenance or FLAT rates
3. Repair orders
4. Repair Estimates
5. Customer Service History
6. Technician Time-in or Time-out
7. Parts requisitioning and picking
8. Service invoicing
9. Warranty claims and processing
10. Field Service Actions(Campaigns)

The next speaker is a Market Development Manager of HP Company. This time we are already inside, sitting and ready to listen. He discussed about Linux, CE, and XPe and the following topic:

Key Growth Drivers

1. Data security, reliability,easier
2. Management
3. Remote PC alternatives
4. Virtualization
5. Lower TCO
6. Broadband and related

Challenges for IT Professionals

1. Provide information security
2. Deployment and maintenance
3. Total cost of ownership (TCO)

HP is one of a very small list of companies that offers technology in every category of the Kusnetzy Group Model. So, one could see thin client devices and the related access virtualization, application virtualization and processing virtualization technology as being the window either into an organization’s IT infrastructure, in-house cloud or, in some cases, external computing resources. HP today introduced an affordable new mobile thin client, as well as hardware and software portfolio enhancements to its thin client portfolio, to help companies improve security and productivity while reducing resource consumption.

The company also announced HP desktop thin clients that meet the new version 5.0 ENERGY STAR®️ specifications – an industry first. Select HP thin clients include the HP t5145, HP t5540, HP t5545, HP t5630 and HP t5630w models and offer customers a range of performance options and choice of Windows®️ CE, Windows Embedded Standard and Linux operating systems.

They promoted thin client, a device that provides enhanced security access to server-based computing and reduces IT workloads while still providing the mobility of a reliable notebook. The speaker also discussed the benefits we can get from thin client and how it makes our daily tasks easy. After the lecture, he asked some questions and gave rewards to those who can answer. For those students who have fast hands, they got a Flash drive as a prize.

The next presentor was from Spinweb Productions, Incorporated. The speaker discussed about Open Source for business applications and talked about the goodness of open source. They promoted open source and discussed briefly its advantages.
The benefits of using open source applications are:

1. reliable
2. widely used
3. highly scalable
4. proven performance

After the technology talk, I feel full, full of new knowledge and experience and it is because of COMDDAP. I feel grateful and proud to participate in this kind of event. Hoping to attend next year’s event too. lol!
lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next