USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)

Go down 
+34
joverly gonzales
Russel John Serrano
sharlyn joy pines
jerald jean pullos
alma cabase
mae m. mara
desiree
basith_jumat
Norena T. Nicdao
Stihl Lhyn Samonte
kristine_delatorre
John Paul Pulido
Sheila Capacillo
jojimie
katherine eng lajom
carla comoda
florenzie_palma
brian c. namuag
juvilynconsejo
Ariel Serenado
Alfredo V. Ala-an
Joseph Ethel Valdez
Chris Romarate
neil rey c. niere
creza_jill_bulacito
Maria Theresa F. Rulete
aeros salaga
amielou.falcon
shane sacramento
Fritzielaine A. Barcena
Jevelyn Labor
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo
Shiela Marie P. Nara
eyesee
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eyesee

eyesee

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Empty
PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:36 am

Post here ... 1000 words
Back to top Go down
Shiela Marie P. Nara

Shiela Marie P. Nara

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:04 pm

COMDDAP 2009 Reflection/Learnings

COMDDAP 2009
(Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines)

COMDDAP 2009... It’s one of the ways on learning Information Technology outside the four corners of the room. Gaining IT knowledge, not in theoretical way but practically, not just ideally but in reality. These words came into my mind as we had at least few moments in COMDDAP 2009.

GETTING IN
On July 2, 2009, we attended the COMDDAP 2009 at the Apo View Hotel. Beforehand, we registered the 1:00-5:00 pm sessions. As we enter the hotel's grand ballroom attaching our student stickers, we immediately are busying ourselves on getting the promotion prints and flyers from the different companies participating the event. The room was filled with the booths of different companies' ride. Even if we are not going to buy, we were still enjoying watching the gadgets and products they exhibit. Some of the names in the head of each booth are indeed well-known. Some of these are the Smart Bro, hp invent, neo, etc. From a ball pen with radio to notebooks and laptops even cameras. All of these can be seen at the exhibition booths. Well, that was not our main purpose though. That’s why we proceed to the session.

ERIC DMS AND JUPITER SYSTEMS INC.
After we sign our signatures corresponding to our names, the first exhibitor of the nexus group shared about his company. Mr. Celmer Santos talked about Jupiter Systems Inc. and the ERIC (Enterprise Resource Information and Control) DMS. First, he shared a brief history of the said company which says that it is already 24 years in service as an enterprise software company and it’s one of the pioneers of the Enterprise Resource Planning Systems in the Philippines. After that, the exhibitor shared about ERIC DMS. This is a management for financial, personnel, distribution and manufacturing for auto dealerships. The exhibitor opened up the general features, characteristics, process flow and some of the clients of the said DMS. He mentioned “DMS is a complete, end-to-end solution for auto dealerships.” After which, there was a Question and Answer portion which followed by the giving of feedbacks through answering their feedback form. Well, honestly, I can’t answer the form because I can’t relate for I’m only a student. (Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines)

HP INVENT:THIN CLIENT
After the ERIC DMS is the HP invent. I can say that I can relate with this because I’ve already heard of it as a brand for laptops. When Mr. Leonard Zapa said that they are giving away tokens such as T-shirts and USB flash disks, the room was filled with excitement. Take not, the question are just so easy only if you listen to his ideas. All you have to do to get one token is to be the first to raise your hand. Unfortunately, I’m not one of those lucky students to get one.

By the way, the exhibitor shared about Thin Client with the words “HP: Think Big; Go Thin” Amazing, right? This means that Thin Client is of small packages but with great benefits like efficient design and longer life span. Thin Client is one of the fastest computer devices. The exhibitor shared about Thin Client and its amazing features.

To start with, HP acquired Neoware Inc. on Oct. 1, 2009. Thin Client is a computing device without hard drive (no hard disks). It only uses Flash IDE, Flash storage. It runs applications in remote locations, blade PCs or virtual desktops. It can be used independently, as a task-specific computing device. He also shared about the key growth drivers which are the data security, reliability, easier management, remote PC alternatives and virtualizations. These answer the question, why go on thin Clients? Aside from that, it also is environment friendly and has lower over-all costs. I smiled when he emphasized “lower over-all costs” because it only means that Thin Client is indeed expensive yet worth the cost for its longer life span.

MICROSOFT DYNAMICS
Another exhibitor talked about Microsoft Dynamics. A Retail Management System which is compared to POS. The title “Microsoft Dynamics” has persuasive subtitle “Success depends on more than one location.” The exhibitor spoke about MS in retail industry leadership as highest in the industry, used by top retailer and that 65% of POS are on Windows which is MS-owned. He also talked about MRMS advantages like streamline operations, improve profit margins, build customer loyalty, manages business, not technology and have a life outside your business. RMS HQ key features are inventory control and tracking, purchase orders, pricing, sales and promotions, sales tracking and powerful, flexible reports.

OPEN SOURCE
The last exhibitor talked about Open Source for Business Applications. At last, I’ve already clarified with the Open Source as distinguished with the Free Software. I heard of the name Mr. Paul de Paula and the terms Joomla and Drupal for the first time. SPINweb Production Inc. is a company that offers web design and development, web hosting and maintenance, online marketing, corporate presentation and Flash 3D Animation.

At first, we are asked about whom among us have gone onto web development. Only two had raised their hand because majority of the crowd were merely students. The two were asked to do the things I can’t really relate. In the middle of the session, we were asked to identify the keywords associated with Open Source. They came up with words free, open, contributor and no licensing. However, these words are clarified during the discussion. Open Source is free in the sense of “free speech not beer” or anti-commercial. Also, the exhibitor asked us to identify the icons representing the different open Source applications. Unfortunatey again, of about 20 icons, I was just able to identify ¼ of it. Those icons are Ubuntu, Opne office, Mozilla Firefox, thunderbird, Pidgin, Transmission, Limewire, Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress OS Commerce, Zen Cart, Ruby on Rails, Php Cake and others. It made me realize that even though I’m already three years in the study of Information Technology, I am still but a beginner in the real IT world. Well, it’s okay for me because I know that I’m subject to learn more. Aside from that thought, I also found out that Mozilla

Firefox, the one that I’m using next to Internet Explorer is indeed an Open Source application. I also heard of the names Eric S. Raymond and Richard Stallman as the founder of the Open Source and Free Software. By the way, Open Source really originates from the Free Software. I also heard about The Cathedral and the Bazaar. The exhibitor also shared the organization that uses Open Source applications.

GETTING OUT
The session was ended with a debate concerning the question “, which is better, the proprietary Software or the Open Source?” And this was answered with a fair thought that Open Source is more advantageous in the other way as Free Software do. To sum up, Open source is good on personal uses while proprietary Software is good in critical missions like the automated elections for its liability. A certain visitor once asked “, what is your opinion on the backing out of TIM its joint venture with the Smartmatic?” The exhibitors can’t answer because according to them, it’s already out of bound.

The one s responsible for the success of the sessions is the Nexus Group. The group comprises the companies such as Nexus, IT ___ and Systems Integrator, Jupiter Systems Inc., Business Software Solutions expert, edupro, IT Training snd Solutions, and the SPINWeb, Online Media Develpoment. These companies have their own websites like www.jupitersystems.com.ph, www.hp.com, www.nexusgroup.ph, www.opensource.org etc.

I, with my classmates got out the room with fulfillment that at least, I’ve learned a little in attending the session. Our visist to COMDDAP 2008 would never be complete without taking pictures everywhere in the Apo View Hotel, even inside the CR.

pictures are on my blog: http://shielamariepnara.blogspot.com/2009/07/comddap-2009-reflectionlearnings.html
queen

Last edited by Shiela Marie P. Nara on Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo

Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo

PostSubject: COMDDAP Experience.. Ü   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 12:17 am

The COMDDAP experience... Ü

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda12

July 2-4, Apo View Hotel, Davao City
"Where the highest mountain in the land rises over the vast rich plains of Davao, where the king of Philippine birds soar over his domain, the giant of all Philippine I.T. shows once more unfolds its latest event. It's COMDDAP Davao 2009 - the biggest I.T. expo held regularly in the South."
http://www.comddap.org/events.htm

What is COMDDAP??

"COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES."
See more details on their site:
http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

Last July 2, 2009 me and my fellow classmates and schoolmates attended the COMDDAP Davao Expo 2009 at Apo View Hotel. It was amusing to be attending those kinds of expos because you get to see the big time people on the technology industry. We look around and saw different technologal advancement with the latest computers, gadgets, different sytems and other computer stuffs. It was fun and amusing seeing all of those. We also get to have some freebies from different booths in the expo. weeh,. hehe That's fun!!
After roaming around we attended the different sessions featuring some big companies in the technology industry. The room was full of students proffesionals and other visitors mostly are from USEP. hehe The first session I attended was about ERIC(Enterprise Resource & Information Control) Managment System. ERIC creates great automotive dealers systems for big automotive dealers around the world. The session was conducted by Mr Celmer L. Santos.
Below is a brief profile of ERIC DMS I go from their site.

ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System
The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-t-o-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services.
Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting.

With ERIC DMS, you can have full visibility over all operations.
Achieve total control over your car dealership business today!
• Schedule prospects for test drives and follow up on appointments
• Monitor and increase sales
• Delight customers with gentle reminders for appointments
• Manage vehicle inventory
• Deliver impeccable service
• Control parts & consumables cost
• Monitor and correctly implement warranty for parts & service
• Report your financial bottom line
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1

DMS Process Flow
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Dmsimg11

"ERIC Dealership Management System (DMS) A complete, end-to-end solution for vehicle dealers, distributors, and service providers."

The second session I had attended was about the new feature hardware of HP(Hewlett Packard) which is the thin client. At first sight I was curious of what that thing is and how does it work. Thin Client is a hardware that is preferably used for small to medium business. It is best fitted for Counter internet kiosk and etc. There are a lot of advantages of Thin Clients like its simplicity, size, remoteness, security and energy consumption.

What is a thin client?

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Thin_c10
"Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.
With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client."
http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html

The whole experience was really great. Even I havent won the freebies. hehe We had fun roaming around different booths and see what' the newest product of technology. I look forward of attending expos like COMDDAP again.

Here are some snap shots of my experience..Ü
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 111 COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 211
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 311 COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 411
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 511

My blog for this post!! bounce
http://xiibee.blogspot.com/2009/07/comddap-davao-2009.html
Back to top Go down
http://xiibee.blogspot.com/
Jevelyn Labor

Jevelyn Labor

PostSubject: COMDAPP   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 1:19 am

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Logo
COMDAPP

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

COMDDAP counts among its achievements the holding of the Annual COMDDAP exhibit, more popularly known as the COMDDAP EXPO, which has become a consistent crowd drawer and has in itself set new records in terms of the quality of exhibit area, exhibitors, visitors, and venues. In fact, COMDDAP EXPO in 1999 marked the first exhibit to have adapted an upgraded booth shell schemes

The annual COMDDAP endeavor encourages its participants to launch their products and services, as well as hold seminars with a variety of topics in the areas of technology, trends, applications, and information management.

COMDDAP's biggest leap was being able to cross boarders or go regional by bringing the exposition down south in Cebu and Davao City, and to even greater heights in the cities of Baguio and Naga, and most recently, in Iloilo City.

Apart from its exhibits, the organization holds COMDDAP Leaning Center Project and Training the Trainors program. This is part of the civic and social responsibility programs that the association has vowed to pursue. The project provides public high school students and public school teachers the opportunity to learn basic computer theories, get hands-on experience, and become familiar with computers.

COMDDAP is likewise involved with the Media-Citizens Quick Count (MCQC) operations in response to the call of national interest. The bulk of equipment and technical support for this endeavor were provided for by the member-companies.

COMDDAP has also pledged to protect its members in addressing the growing issue of software piracy, a practice that has affected and stunted the growth of the local software industry, as well as the countrys trade relations with other countries .In pushing this, COMDDAP has expressed its full support in the local manufacturing of DOS at an affordable price and with after-sales support, as well as launching a massive educational campaign.

Indeed, COMDDAP has gone a long way from a mere assemblage of premier IT companies and enthusiasts. With the support and enthusiasm of its member-companies, COMDDAP expects and looks forward to accomplishing more worthwhile projects in the future as COMDDAP is committed to the stable growth of the Philippine computer industry.

REFERENCE:

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) About_image

The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-t-o-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services.

Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting.

Service Offerings

A keen Understanding of business and operational objectives, two (2) decades of experience in the industry’s best practices, creative talent, and technology/skills to implement winning solutions for:

* Software Development
* Business Intelligence/ Data Mining
* Web / eCommerce
* IT infrastructure Services
* Core MS Infrastructure Services
* Core Network Infrastructure Services
* Telephony Infrastructure Services
* Business Process Consulting
* Web Based Software in Public Relations
* Microfinance Solutions
* Open Source Platforms

Method of Delivery

In order to deliver projects on time and on budget while considering customer requirements, Jupiter Systems employs the following interlocking methodologies:

1. The Rational Unified Process (RUP) to manage the full lifecycle of JSI’️s software development projects- based on a platform-independent tool called Rational Software by IBM. RUP covers the following:

* Software Dev Project Management
* Requirements Analysis
* Project Definition
* Design
* Coding/Development
* Configuration Management
* Quality Assurance- functional testing and load testing

2. Implementation Methodology for Software Applications to manage deployment of software to end users. This implementation methodology covers:

* Process-in-place documentation
* Process-to-be design and documentation
* Process-to-be acceptance testing
* Core Team/End User Training
* User Support
* Defect Reporting

http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/about.aspx

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Hdr-G9319002072008-180x110
Thin Clients

A thin client, sometimes called a lean client, is a low-cost, centrally-managed computer devoid of CD-ROM players, diskette drives, and expansion slots. The term derives from the fact that small computers in networks tend to be clients and not servers. Since the idea is to limit the capabilities of these computers to only essential applications, they tend to be purchased and remain "thin" in terms of the client applications they include. As software as a service (SaaS) gains popularity, it is expected that thin clients and blade PCs will replace desktop PCs in many work and educational environments. In general, they are not as vulnerable to malware attacks, have a longer life cycle, use less power and are less expensive to purchase.

Thin client is also used to describe software applications that use the client-server model where the server performs all the processing.

Thin clients are ideal solution for today's healthcare, industrial, retail, financial and education industries offering a number of benefits to your business.
Enhanced security
Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged. Thin clients are an ideal choice for businesses that are facing increased regulatory compliance laws such as HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley.
Easier manageability
Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs, client desktops can be very simple single-application kiosks or a flexible and familiar Windows environment.
Thin clients can be set up out of the box in less than 10 minutes allowing easy deployment to new users or remote locations. HP thin clients can be remotely configured and managed via management software included at no extra charge.
High reliability
With thin client access devices, business continuity is a given in the event of a natural disaster, as the data and applications are not resident on the client device. Because of their solid state design, thin clients have an extended product life of up to 5 years and can be cost effectively replaced if needed.
Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor, under the desk or just about anywhere with the optional VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association)-compatible HP Quick Release.
Increased energy efficiency
Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops. This is realized not only in energy costs but reduced air-conditioning costs in some cases. With their long lifecycle thin clients allow companies to achieve energy savings targets and reduce the need for replacement equipment.
Lower total cost of ownership
The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings. According to a study by Gartner (TCO Comparison of PCs with Server-Based Computing, June 2006) thin client TCO annual savings have been measured as high as:
• 79% less downtime cost per user
• 16% capital cost savings
• 34% less in maintenance
• 19% less to operate
• 48% overall lower total cost

REFERENCES:
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/pscmisc/vac/us/en/sm/thinclients/WF02d/12454-12454-321959.html

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) IMG3643A
It was my first time to attend a seminar in COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines). We arrived at the Apo Bayview Hotel at exactly 1:40 pm. Suppose to be we would attend the 1st session but since we are not familiar with the venue, we arrived late that time. The second session is about The ERIC Dealer Management System - Jupiter Systems, Inc. Honestly, at first I am not concentrating on the words of the speaker. It’s because the speaker, MR. Celmer Santos, was a handsome guy.haha. I just stared at him for minutes and BOOM! I have to focus na pala with what he’s saying. Most of the things that he said are not very familiar for my vocabulary.haha. I cant relate, sobra. Haha. I almost felt dizzy because of the silence around.

- I was in real freeze –

Because we are late, we occupied the first seats. And those front seats are facing a huge aircon. Buti sana kung medyo medium sized aircon but unfortunately, its larger than me. Haha. So for the whole 2 hours of session I was suffering from ICEBURN!! . I think it’s about 5°C ? haha! Damn.

What I enjoyed is about the session is the 2nd speaker, Mr. Leonardo Zapa. He’s not that hunk guy everyone would like to stare, but he’s humor and expertise on the features of the product his endorsing is really impressive. WOW. His session is about The HP Thin Client - Nexus Technologies, Inc. Even though most of the computer terminologies (particularly in hardware) that came out from his mouth are not familiar to me, he still managed to caught my attention and I listened as if I understand every thing that he said. The most enjoyable part was the last part in which he throws a question unto us and if one of us gets it right… prices are given. Take note! They are not ordinary prices (flash drives (1 GB, 2 GB, 8 GB) and t-shirts). Unfortunately, I did not get any of it, woohhhhh. It’s because I AM NOT THAT FAST I RAISING MY HAND . Of course I know the answers(except in the last)haha.

All in all, I enjoyed COMDAPP TECH TALKS and learned some things that I know I will be carrying through my runway.wahaha.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tipukling3.blogspot.com
Fritzielaine A. Barcena

Fritzielaine A. Barcena

PostSubject: COMDDAP   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 11:01 am

On July 2, 2009, 1:35 pm at Apo View Hotel we've joined a seminar and exhibit by the
Computer Manufaturers Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMDDAP)conducted by The Nexus Group. COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comddap-davao

Nexus Technologies Inc. was incorporated in December 1994 with a vision to create a professionally run company that delivers real business benefits to its clients through leading technologies. They are proud to be a prominent force in the Philippine IT industry as the systems integrator and corporate IT reseller of choice of some of the Philippines' top corporations.
There mission is to be a complete IT source/resource:
that attracts and maintains excellent human resources
that identifies and sets trends and directions in the industry
that forges long-term alliances with strategic partners – principals and clients – in the industry..

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 7531

First company was Jupiter Systems Inc.. Jupiter Systems Inc.(JSI) is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years. This company contains service transactions, cars,, etc.. this company is one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems in the Philippines. It has 100+ personnel and 100% Filipino-owned.
The speaker introduced the DELAER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (DMS). DMS is a bundled system created specifically for car dealerships or large equipment manufactures such as Caterpillar_Inc dealerships, and also adapted for Boat, RV, and Power sports dealers. These systems often contain software that cater to the needs of the finance, sales, parts, inventory and administration components of running the dealership. One of their functions can be automating tax returns.[1]
DMS software typically includes support for all aspects of running a dealership such as:
Tracking vehicle inventory
Tracking sales
Finance and insurance calculations
Menu Selling Systems
Tracking customers (and customer follow up)
Accounting
Managing dealer website
Calculating employee commissions
Purchase order tracking
Parts inventory
Work order management
Appointment scheduling
A typical DMS installation includes a central server which stores all data, allowing multi-user access for as many as 50 or more client computers. Some installations may include thin clients. Other DMS providers use a centrally-hosted, or application service provider model.
This system deals a complete end to end solution, storing vehicle sales( model, accessories, charges), vehicle services, back office operations and financial reporting.
The following are the New Modules of DMS:
Customer
Vehicle Sales
Service Management
Parts Inventory.
The system support sales of new nd used vehicles. It is useful because it is easy to scan the data, it is automated.

The Pre- Sales Features are the following: sales lead monitoring from initial inquiry to actual close, sales quotation processing, sales appointments, supervisor review of appointment schedules and sales call, monitor sales stages, classifies sales probabilities, keeps all call histories, prospect follow-up reminder, and lead generation reports. The Service Management General Features are advance bookings/customer application; Operation Maintenance; Repair Orders- Estimates,Customer Service Leadership. This system involves Preventive System, Technicians Time and Out, Parts Requisitioning and Picking, Service Invoking, warranty claims and Processing, Field Servicing Actions, Service Reminders, Customer Feedback.

The next company was Hp Thin Client.
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 07thinclient-t5530

The speaker was a Market Development. Thin Client is a computing device without a hard drive which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade Pc's or virtual desktops. It can be used independently, as a task specific computing device with a minimal set of application installed. A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.
The term was coined in 1993 by Tim Negris, VP of Server Marketing at Oracle Corp., while working with company founder Larry Ellison on the launch of the landmark Oracle7 release of the company's flagship relational database management system (RDBMS). Ellison had charged Negris with finding a way to boldly differentiate Oracle's server-centric software from the decidedly desktop-oriented products of then-rival Microsoft. Thin Client became Ellison's relentless battle cry, repeated in hundreds of speeches, interviews and articles attendant to the release of Oracle7 and many other products after that.
Many thin client devices run only web browsers or remote desktop software, meaning that all significant processing occurs on the server. However, recent devices marketed as thin clients can run complete operating systems such as Debian Linux, qualifying them as diskless nodes or hybrid clients. Some thin clients are also called "access terminals." Many people that already have computers want the same functionality that a thin client has. Computers can simulate a thin client in a single window (as thru a browser) or with a separate operating system boot-up. Either way, these are often called "fat clients" to differentiate them from thin clients and computers without thin-client functionality.
As a consequence, the term "thin client", in terms of hardware, has come to encompass any device marketed as, or used as, a thin client in the original definition – even if its actual capabilities are much greater. The term is also sometimes used in an even broader sense which includes diskless nodes.[1]
The Client Virtualization / Remote Client Solution is divided into 3. Access, Network, and compute. Compute contains SEC( Service Base Computer), VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) and Blade.

There is a big difference between a desktop and server. A desktop computer is a personal computer (PC) in a form intended for regular use at a single location, as opposed to a mobile laptop or portable computer. Prior to the wide spread of microprocessors a computer that could fit on a desk was considered remarkably small. Today the phrase usually indicates a particular style of computer case. Desktop computers come in a variety of styles ranging from large vertical tower cases to small form factor models that can be tucked behind an LCD monitor. In this sense, the term 'desktop' refers specifically to a horizontally-oriented case, usually intended to have the display screen placed on top to save space on the desk top. Most modern desktop computers have separate screens and keyboards. A specialized form of desktop case is used for home theater PC systems, incorporating front-panel mounted controls for audio and video. This contains data, application, updates, anti-virus and also back-up. A server is any combination of hardware or software designed to provide services to clients. When used alone, the term typically refers to a computer which may be running a server operating system, but is commonly used to refer to any software or dedicated hardware capable of providing services. It includes services, storage, and firewall. The Thin Client Server contains data and application, deployment and updates, anti-virus and firewalls, back-up and storage and services.

“The smaller the gadget or device is, the higher, bigger and useful it is. Just like a Thin Client, there are some of the features that desktops do not have. The benefits of Thin Client are enhanced security, easy to manage ability, high reliability, environment-friendly and lower overall costs.

It is nice and wonderful to have an opportunity and experience like that. People that talks about technologies, a country that deals with technologies, and the universe that uses technology...

Reference:
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/about.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dealership_Management_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][url][/url]
Back to top Go down
http://prettypriti-pretty.blogspot.com/
shane sacramento

shane sacramento

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:49 pm

COMDDAP Expo Davao

COMDDAP or Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines is an organization of corporations that provides IT solutions. They have been conducting expos all over Manila, Cebu and now Davao City.

The expo was held at the Apo View Hotel on the 2nd day of July, 2009. It is a three day expo (July 2-4, 2009) that showcases Information Technology (IT). In the hall, are numbers of companies were there to display their products in their respective booths. This event is not just a display of best and latest products offered by different businessmen that recognizes Information Technology as a need in fulfilling the full length of their business’ offers.

The very first session I joined was from Jupiter Systems, Inc. It is a 100% Filipino company, according to the speaker. He said that instead of importing systems or softwares from other countries, they export them instead. That means they are the ones who develop and export them for the use of other countries such as, Thailand, China, Hong Kong and United States of America. Their software, according to the speaker, follows a standard language system, which may include Thai, Chinese and Vietnamese.

After introducing himself (the speaker) and his company, he started discussing about a software for dealers, which is called ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS). It is a software that is being used by car dealers in order to keep track of sales, service transaction and other related. It is a twenty-four (24) year old software and now was fully developed by the said company. This software enables users to monitor their employees as well as their customers’ records. The software is enabled with accounting, manufacturing and inventory system. The system may offer records regarding supplies, sales monitoring and monitoring of the salesperson’s activities, through clock-in and clock out, which is known to us as log in and log out. The software also includes the monitoring of the owners car regular check-up thus, ensuring the safeties of their customers and even the brand of the dealers, who uses DMS.

Some of the car dealers, which have big names on the car market that uses DMS, as the speaker enumerate, are Mitsubishi, Honda and Mercedes Benz.
More on: http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/

The second session introduces the HP Thin Clients. Thin Client, as the speaker says, is a computing device without the hard drive and fan. He also discussed the advantages of the said hardware. It has a very low power consumption that ranges about 11W to 20W, which is 80% lower than a desktop computer. The hardware was enabled with a higher data security in both hardware and software. It has no moving parts, meaning, every thing inside the hardware is attached to it securely and it will never budge no matter how hard you shake it and it is really is thin. Its height and length is half that of a normal system unit and its width is a quarter.

As I have mentioned earlier, the hard ware does not contain fan and hard drive. That means it would be much lighter and you wouldn’t worry about the temperature of the said hardware, that is because of its low power consumption thus, reaches only 40 degrees of the operations.
More on: http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html

Microsoft Dynamics retail Management System or simply called RMS, was the third session I attended. This is a software from Microsoft that mainly recognizes the hassle of stores or a food chains, both for the employee and customers.

The speaker started the session by telling us a situation that is common at the supermarkets. He said, “Have you ever tried being on a long line for paying what you brought, then the person before you, who is currently attended by the cashier, realizes that he/she has forgotten something, and getting that product is actually five (5) minutes away from the cashier?.”

Well, the long wait is over with this Retail Management System developed by Microsoft. This software offers the following for its users:

• Streamline Operations- lets the owner view and update the inventory and track the inventory while the user id offline, reserve shipments, purchase order and share reports.

• Improve Profit Margins-easily adjust pricing, identify best selling items, track the return of investment and is employee productivity.

• Build Customer Loyalty-customize receipts, flexible pricing structures, which mean it would be easy to adjust the price if the customer has a discount or any other related.

• Manage Business, Not Technology-easy install and training of employees will not take a huge amount of time. It can also access online help and managing different inventory types is not a problem.

• Have a life outside your business-it eliminates the hassle of always being onsite thus, enabling the user to check his business’ branches or establishments anywhere and anytime.

The following are the key features of the RMS:
• Inventory control and tracking
• Purchase order
• Pricing, sales and promotions
• Sales tracking
• Powerful, flexible reports
More on: www.microsoft.com/philippines/

The fourth and the last session was from Spinweb Production, Inc., which identifies themselves as the web development arm of the nexus group. The topic was all about Open Source for Business Application. I have learned the true meaning of open source and it was a very big help for me, because I have heard of the words “open source” with regards to the one of the most talked about issue here in the Philippines. The web and the news tell that the automation of the 2010 election is an open source and I was curious about this. Well, thanks to the last discussion I have a clear view of what open source is. According to the speaker, open source is not free and it has a license, just like the commercialized software. To clearly define open source, he shared us the four freedoms. He even started the number from zero (0) instead of one (1). Zero, you can always run it for any purpose. One, you can study and modify it, then share it to everyone. Two, you can always copy it. And Three, you can always improve it and share it to everyone. The speaker also included the difference between free software and open source, which is open source are mainly talking about the development methodology while free software is a movement methodology, which may mean the passing of the softwares from different users to other.
More on: www.spinweb.ph/

The last session was ended by giving away Snitch chocolate and that’s how the day ended too.
Back to top Go down
amielou.falcon

amielou.falcon

PostSubject: COMDDAP '09 LEARNINGS/REFLECTIONS   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 12:01 am

My COMDDAP learning’s…

The day for me had ended. I felt exhausted, tired and weary, yet, learned. I am about to lean my back when the flashback starts.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I woke up at 6:00 in the morning. It was Thursday, 2nd day of July. Luckily, I have no scheduled class for this day because my subject facilitators are of their offices for some good reasons but again, assignments and tasks are left as they are not around, so I decided to fix a little bit of my responsibilities.
Half of the day was spent for my MIS 1 and HRM subject. It is stressful. Well, maybe because we are not prepared that much. What I did was, I just take the other way around, and learning is fun!
It made me hungry, so we took our lunch afterward we went to our destination, Apo View Hotel. Right there, BSIT students and other guests attended an exhibit launch by COMDDAP wherein businesses related to gadgets and IT is gathered to purchase their products as well as to introduce it to the guests.
Well, anyway……..

My honor to share with you folks what is COMDDAP ‘09 all about.
COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009
THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.
Since then, COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and bannered by these specific objectives:
Arrow Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
Arrow Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
Arrow Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
Arrow Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
:arrow:Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
Arrow Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
Arrow Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

On the other part of the event, some company representatives including students, guests and visitors are gathered to listen to the companies who introduced their respective products.

First to the list is the ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System.

They introduces the ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System

Second presenter was the Thin Client.
According to the presenter and site I had visit, Thin Clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client

bounce bounce
drunken drunken drunken

Along the presentation, I realized how we come to be one of the spectators because of our relation to the products being presented. Though we are not used into business but somehow, technology which they had featured most was a big relevant to our field of study.

sunny sunny
I am thankful enough to have the opportunity of the said gathering. Not to mention my first time in place where it was held as well as our first subject outside-the-campus activity.
queen queen

With my course, I was then convinced how fast-paced my environment is. I am loving my chosen career now more and more as days goes by. I do hope my course will love me back.

I pray to pass this all. Well, at the end of the day, I made some post. tsk!tsk! lol! lol!
It was a long day after all, filled with experiences. I’m looking forward for more.

Thank you COMDDAP.
cheers

snapshots during the exhibit...

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdap10

[im in red!, together with my classmates]

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdap13

Last edited by amielou.falcon on Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
aeros salaga

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:14 am

COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines)

Background:

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer product solutions and peripherals.
In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.

Reference: http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

My experiences:

Last July 2, 2009 we went to the Apo View Hotel of Davao to witness the event, the COMDDAP Davao Expo 2009. We are informed by our facilitator in MIS (Management Information System) and HRM (Human Resource Management) about this event. This event will help us as an IT student to gather some information that is related to our course. COMDDAP’s goal is to make IT significant. As we arrive at the event area, the Apo View Hotel of Davao, first we saw, are the exhibits of different technological products such as new modeled computers/laptops, flat screened TV’s, computer mother boards and etc.. Those are different technologies introduced by different companies for promotions of their products in order to enhance IT practices. After viewing those displayed technologies, we enter to a room to attend different sessions. Different kind of people attended the sessions; there are IT students like us from other schools, IT professionals, teachers, business personnel, and etc, just to witness different business strategies/techniques applied to IT and also to witness the products and services that they are promoting. The first session I attended was the ERIC (Enterprise Resource & Information Control) Management System conducted by Mr Celmer L. Santos.

Here are some information about ERIC.

Jupiter Systems Inc. (JSI) is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years.

JSI's flagship product is Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERIC). ERIC is an integrated financial, distribution, manufacturing and personnel software application. ERIC has extended its scope to include mobile and internet based applications, making it available at the workplace on the internet and on the road.
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/eric.aspx

…the next session I attended was the HP (Hewlett Packard), they mainly introduces their main product of that session, the HP Thin Client.
Here are some information about Thin Client:
What is thin client?

A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.

Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

…information for those products are well discussed and introduced. After the discussions about that product, the in charge conducted a question and answer portion with prizes whoever can give the right answer. The definitely try our very best to be called and give an answer because we are aiming to get the prizes such as USB flash device and t-shirts. But, I got no prizes because I haven’t called and had a chance to answer the questions but anyway I’m still satisfied with their performances in introducing their best products that can help IT people.
…After that session, I decided not to attend on the last session, but anyway I went home brought new information. Those information help gather some ideas on how IT can help our life better. By the help of different companies actually Big Companies who applies the information system in order to improve their businesses. Because they share their knowledge on us about some techniques or strategies to help us develop and extend knowledge about IT.

God Bless!

my blog: http://aerosusep.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://aerosusep.blogspot.com
Maria Theresa F. Rulete

Maria Theresa F. Rulete

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 10:16 am

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comddap-davao

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Member_nexus

Last July 02, 2009 at 1:00pm, we went to the Apo View Hotel to witness an exhibit on different technology products and to attend a seminar on different organizations that was organized by the Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines (COMDDAP).

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 7531

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) IMG_7354

First presenter was Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated. He had talked about Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERICDMS) Brilliant Dealer Management System which involves car dealerships and service transactions. Though I can’t relate on the topics, I still had taken notes and listen to the facts that he had discussed. Jupiter Systems, Inc. is a 24- year old software company and one of the members of the ERP systems of the Philippines. Mitsubishi, Honda, Mazda, Volvo, and Nissan are some of the car companies that are using their system. Their Database Management Systems process flow starts with the pre-sales, then the vehicle sales and last is the after sales. The Jupiter Systems’ has also Service Management General Features which are the following:

1. Advance bookings or Customer appointments
2. Operation maintenance or FLAT rates
3. Repair orders
4. Repair Estimates
5. Customer Service History
6. Technician Time-in or Time-out
7. Parts requisitioning and picking
8. Service invoicing
9. Warranty claims and processing
10. Field Service Actions(Campaigns)

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Hp

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) IMG_7374

Next presenter was Leonard Zapa, a Market Deveopment Manager of HP Company. He had discussed about Linux, CE, and XPe and the following topics below:

Key Growth Drivers

 1. Data security, reliability, easier
 2. Management
 3. Remote PC alternatives
 4. Virtualization
 5. Lower TCO
 6. Broadband and related

Challenges for IT Professionals

1. Provide information security
2. Deployment and maintenance
3. Total cost of ownership (TCO)

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 07thinclient-t5530

He had talked about a particular product, the thin client, which is a computing device without a hard drive and can be used independently. Some of its features are the following:

 1. Enhanced security
 2. Easy manageability
 3. High reliability
 4. Environment – friendly
 5. Lower overall costs

Some of the advantages of purchasing it are:

 1. Hardened embedded OS
 2. Free Management Tools
 3. ¼ failure rate
 4. 10x higher MTBF
 5.Longer life
 6. ONSITE, Whole unit replacement
 7. Up to 80% lower power
 8. Space saving
 9. Reduced (by 75%) foam and board (by 40%) packaging
 10. Minimal heat
 11. Lower initial hardware

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Rmsbox

The third presenter had discussed about Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System. This was the shortest presentation on the 4 seminars I’ve encountered. The following are the notes I have taken on that presentation.

Key Benefits:

1. Streamline operations
2. Improve profit margins
3. Build customer loyalty
4. Manage business, not technology
5. Have a life outside your business

The 2 modules:

1. Individual Stores
2. Head Office/Lead Store

RMS Key Features:

 1. Inventory control and tracking
 2. Purchase orders
 3. Pricing, sales, and promotions
 4. Sales Tracking
 5. Powerful, flexible reports

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Red-hat-invests-in-jaspersoft

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Member_spinweb

The last presenter had talked about the Open Source for Business Applications of the Spinweb Productions, Incorporated. When we think of the word open source, the thins that come to our mind are source code, free, open, contributor, free license, etc. Open Source is not a Free Software. Free Software has the 4 freedoms which are:

0. run
1. study
2. copy
3. improve

The benefits of using open source applications are:

 1. reliable
 2. widely used
 3. highly scalable
 4. proven performance

They had also given us some websites such as lullabot.com, joomlapolis.com, joomla.org.ph, and openwp.org.

I was so happy having an opportunity like this and it was my first time to join that kind of seminar and to witness an IT exhibit and above all, it was my first time to be on Apo View Hotel. LOL. Though the topics are more technical and it was hard for me to understand everything, I was still considering it as one of the most amazing experience in my life, to meet high level people in the field of Information Technology. It was during the 2nd presentation that became so interesting because of the prices that are to be given on the Question and Answer portion after. One of my classmates got the price of a 2-gig USB and a t-shirt from HP. Before the seminar, we had gone to the exhibit hall where different products were displayed and sold. I was so interested on the products that I was sure if I have money on that time, I would surely buy everything I wanted there. LOL.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) IMG_7455

My Blog: http://etelur.blogspot.com/2009/07/comddap.html

lol! study What a Face

Last edited by tere_etelur on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
creza_jill_bulacito

creza_jill_bulacito

PostSubject: COMDDAP Experience(Reflection)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 12:53 pm

COMDDAP Experience

Last July 2, 2008 me and my classmates attend a seminar on COMDDAP at the Apo view hotel. COMDDAP stands for Computer Manufacturers, Distributers and Dealers Association on the Philippines. The event was organized and managed by the said Association which deals with different Information Technology companies. COMDDAP offers technology update series of seminars and workshops, product demos, as well as event discounts, raffle draws and generous giveaways for lucky attendees. The Expo was really entertaining and showcases new Information Technology products. You can get up close and take a first hand at the latest Information Technology products and software for computing, imaging, printing, connecting, and communications, security, entertainment and lifestyle applications. Now, as we can observe the speed that information technology is evolving and becoming ever more pervasive in our everyday activities in life that is why COMDDAP yearly conduct an expo to step up the challenges of bringing something new to our market with every show. COMDDAP displayed the different information technology Products with the highlight of LCD monitors Shootout. In the tradition of COMDDAP shootouts, the shootout event within the main event brought out together the top LCD monitor brands in the world in a showdown of their most brilliant features in terms of graphics, photo and video display. It was an amazing experience by visiting their expo. There were a lot of companies as the exhibitors on the event like the Adobe which is the name for industry leading network publishing software with tools that help users create, manage and deliver graphically rich content to anyone, anywhere on any device. There was also Corel which produces full-featured, easy to use productivity, graphics and digital imaging software. The Canon Marketing Philippines Incorporated was also there and has been providing cutting edge imaging products, solutions and services to aid its customers in producing superior quality graphics and prints for more than a decade. There was also the Ng Khai Development Corporation which provides ICT infrastructure, solutions and digital lifestyle products and services. It counts among its partners such big names as IBM, Microsoft, HP, Lenovo, Cisco, Intel, Imation and Symantec. It is also an authorized reseller of top brands of projectors, surveillance equipment and PABX systems. Smart Communications Incorporated was also there which showcases their wireless broadband service the SmartBro. It is a high-speed broadband internet connection that wirelessly delivers internet service to your PC. It runs on Smart’s newest and fastest mobile network and is available in Postpaid Plans and Prepaid Units. Also, there was Autodesk, Fox chit Business Systems, Symantec, Trinity Marketing, Word text Systems Incorporated, McAfee and many more.

During our visit to the expo we attended seminars which was presented by the Nexus Group this were about the ERIC Dealer Management System, The HP thin Client, Retail Management System Overview and the Windows Server 2008. The ERIC Dealer Management System presented by Jupiter Systems Incorporated is an end to end software solution for automotive dealer operation. ERIC Database Management System range of solutions covers Customer Relationship Management, Vehicle Sales and Administration and Service Management. It is also supported by a robust back end system on parts and supplies inventory, over the counter sales, purchasing and the requisite financial modules for financial accounting and reporting. You can find out how implementing ERIC Database System helps your dealership have a full visibility of over all operations. In their presentation you can see how well organized their system. Everything you need for Vehicle business inventory can use the ERIC Database System. The next presenters were the HP Thin Client who explained and describe the power of thin clients. Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. The HP Company showed their new product which is the thin client how they work, application and operates in a business. They showed the Flexibility and functionality with broad choice of models and operating systems. HP offers specialty thin client categories to meet your unique needs: high performance, mobile, and all-in-one. High performance thin clients provide PC power with thin client benefits. There are also Mobile thin clients for portability and flexibility in and out of the office. The thin clients provide all-in-one thin clients for customer facing or space-constrained environments (ideal for kiosks, carts, front office). Thin Client Computing specializes in leading edge solutions using the latest thin client, virtualization and streaming techniques for Local Area Network/Wireless Area Network, Internet, and Work at Home environments. Thin Client Computing offers expert consulting in the design of Secure Remote Access Solutions and advanced Multi-Site failover architectures. Our designs offer unparalleled capabilities for auto-failover and rapid recovery from disaster or unexpected downtime. After the presentation of the HP thin client they had giveaways for those who can answer their questions. They had some prizes such as shirts and flash drives. It was a fun day and you can learn a lot of new things involving latest technologies.

please visit my blog http://rs-creharu.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
neil rey c. niere

neil rey c. niere

PostSubject: Learnings, Reflections in Comddap 2009   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 12:12 am

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009

July 2-4 2009 at Apo View Hotel

Comddap Description

THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE

Experience

July 2, 2009, in this day me and my classmates attended the first day of Comddap Davao Expo at Apo View Hotel. Upon entering the hall, glimpse the modern gadgets and technological equipments, seeing big time people and also students from different schools, we look around the place, taking some information in every gadgets, computers, printers, digital camera's and many more.
After the look around trip with my friends and classmates, we attended a session about Eric DMS. We enter the session hall, we saw students and big time professionals, the session was conducted by Mr. Celmer L. Santos.

Start of the session:

ERIC DMS

Brilliant Dealer Management System

General Features

•Monitoring Sales Executive Activities
•Sales lead monitoring from initial inquiry to actual close
•Sales quotation processing
•Supports sales of new and used vehicles
•Multiple pricing and discounting schemes
•Financing and Insurance transactions
•Vehicle reservation and deposit collection
•Vehicle Inventory
•Customer Incident and resolution recording
•Interface to manufacturer systems
•Reports and Queries
•Highly graphical technician assignments and loading window
•Customer Appointments
•Repair orders and estimates
•Customer/Vehicle service history
•Technician time in/out
•Parts requisitioning and picking
•Control parts and consumable cost

ERIC- Enterprise Resource Information and Control
DMS- Dealer Management System

Jupiter System, Inc.

Jupiter Systems Inc.(JSI) is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years.

•a 24 year old enterprise software company
•100+ personnel
•100% Filipino owned company
•pioneering enterprise

Their systems made were used by this following automotive dealers:

•Ford
•Mitsubishi
•Mazda
•Honda
•Toyota
and many more....

Service Management General Features:

•Advance Bookings/Customer Appointments
•Operation Maintenance/Flat Rates
•Repair Orders
•Repair Estimates
•Customer Service History
•Service Invoicing
•Warranty Claims and Processing
•Field Service Actions
•Service Reminders
•Customer Feedback

Thin Client

Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.
With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.

All of this things were properly discussed, well organized and very creative sessions. Until here for my learning and reflection on COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009.

afro Let's do I.T.!!![i]

my blogspot ^_^ : http://neilreyniere.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
Chris Romarate

PostSubject: COMDDAP 09 @ Davao   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 5:12 am

COMDDAP 09 @ Davao

Last July2, 2009, the first day of COMDDAP exhibit at Apo View Hotel at the heart of the city of Davao was embraced with a warm welcome by the Davaweños. It was participated by different computer stores and companies such as HP Philippines, Jupiter Systems Inc., Neo Philippines, AOC (Arts Of Color) Philippines, Canon Philippines and a lot more. This association aims to improve their camaraderie with each other.

1:35 PM: I myself, together with my classmates arrived at the Apo View Hotel. The exhibitors exhibited their products at the hotel's Grand Ballroom. In there, they displayed their optimum and finest products such as he Canon's latest printer, the Neo's pocket laptop and etc..

1:50 PM: We entered at the Vanda Room to listen some lectures presented by some exhibitors. The first lecturer was the Marketing Head of ERIC Systems Inc., which is 24 year old and a 100% Filipino owned company. There, he presented to us the latest system of Jupiter System Inc., which is the DMS (Dealer Management System). DMS is used by some car dealer companies. He said, DMS has a Thai and English language system. The Marketing Head of Nexus Group pointed also that DMS is a complete end-to-end solution for dealership. It is use for vehicle sales, services, back off and financial reporting.

DMS Process Flow presented by the Marketing Head of ERIC Systems Inc.:
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) COMDDAP

Pre-Sales
* sales appointments
* sales lead monitoring from initial inquiry to actual close
* supervisor review of appointment schedules and sales calls
* classifies sales probabilities
* keepsall call histories
* prospect follow-up reminders
* lead generation reports
* sales quotation processing

Vehicle Sales

* the system supports sales of new and used vehicles
* vehicle inventory checking in multiple branches and warehouse
* vehicle purchase agreement processing
* Vehicle Sales Invoicing
* process receivables and payables
* Vehicle Delivery Advice Entry
* Vehicle Receipt to Warehouse
* Vehicle Inventory Costing
* registers all vehicle purchase to Service Management

After Sales

* advance booking/customer appointments
* operation maintenance/flat rates
* repair orders
* repair estimates
* customer service history
* technician time-in/time-out
* parts requisitioning and picking
* service invoicing
* warranty claims and processing
* field service actions
* service reminders
* customer feedback
* highly graphical technician assignments and loading window
* sublet P.O. processing
* Point-of-Sale (POS) type billing window
* interface to Manufacturer Systems
* reports and queries
* service metrics

3:30 PM: The next lecture we attended is the exhibitors from HP-Philippines. It is a well-known company because of their optimum products such as the HP notebook and desktop computers, HP printers, HP scanners and other computer accessories and parts. The Market Development Manager of HP-Philippines showed the us their latest product and that is the HP Thin Client. According to a common online encyclopedia, a thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server. The term was coined in 1993 by Tim Negris, VP of Server Marketing at Oracle Corp., while working with company founder Larry Ellison on the launch of the landmark Oracle7 release of the company's flagship relational database management system (RDBMS). Ellison had charged Negris with finding a way to boldly differentiate Oracle's server-centric software from the decidedly desktop-oriented products of then-rival Microsoft. Thin Client became Ellison's relentless battle cry, repeated in hundreds of speeches, interviews and articles attendant to the release of Oracle7 and many other products after that. Many thin client devices run only web browsers or remote desktop software, meaning that all significant processing occurs on the server. However, recent devices marketed as thin clients can run complete operating systems such as Debian Linux, qualifying them as diskless nodes or hybrid clients. Some thin clients are also called "access terminals." Many people that already have computers want the same functionality that a thin client has. Computers can simulate a thin client in a single window (as thru a browser) or with a separate operating system boot-up. Either way, these are often called "fat clients" to differentiate them from thin clients and computers without thin-client functionality. As a consequence, the term "thin client", in terms of hardware, has come to encompass any device marketed as, or used as, a thin client in the original definition – even if its actual capabilities are much greater. The term is also sometimes used in an even broader sense which includes diskless nodes.

The Market Development Manager of HP-Philippines tackled also about the challenges for IT professionals and these are:

* Provide Information Security
* Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
* Deployment and Maintenance

After he lectured to us about their product which is the thin client, he gave some prizes to those who can answer the questions about thin client and that experience, all I can say is, "Technology is dynamic, not static".
Back to top Go down
Joseph Ethel Valdez

Joseph Ethel Valdez

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:41 am

COMDDAP 2009

About COMDDAP
THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

Learning and Reflection
Before we attend the COMDDAP 2009 on July 2, 2009 at the Apo View Hotel we ensure that we already registered the 1:00-5:00 pm sessions. We arrived to the Apo View Hotel at exactly 12:30pm five minutes before the time so that we can prepare our self. We gather ourselves outside in the hotel and we go as a group. First thing we do we get a student sticker for us to recognize. As we enter the hotel's grand ballroom attaching our student stickers, the room were filled with the booths of different companies are there participating the events. We turn around the hotel's grand ballroom getting some flyers and promotion prints from the different companies. Some of our classmates take some picture and exploring the world of technology through this event. Some of the companies join in the event are well-known in terms of technological advancement. Some of well known companies are hp invent, red fox, Smart Bro, neo, dell, GH depot and etc. After these we proceed to the session hall of Apo View Hotel.

Before entering to the session hall, we find our name and sign in to ensure if we are registered to that session. Some of the participants are student from the University of Southeastern Philippines. The first exhibitor of the nexus group is the Jupiter Systems Inc. and the ERIC (Enterprise Resource Information and Control) DMS. The speaker of this company is Mr. Celmer Santos. He talk about a brief history of there company. Jupiter Systems Inc. (JSI) is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years. This is a management for financial, personnel, distribution and manufacturing for auto dealerships. There unique HR functionalities for Hong Kong Airport Services (HAS).Extended employee master files containing accident/insurance information, reporting, recording of disability/injuries and specialized maintenance and tracking for leaves, loans, and other non-monetary benefits. This company provides solution for auto dealerships. After that, some of the participants of that event asked question regarding in there company and the services they offered.

After the ERIC DMS, we proceed to the next session which is HP invent Think Big, Go Thin: HP Thin Client. The speaker of this company is Mr. Leonard Zapa. Everybody we very excited because they where be giving tokens such as T-shirts, optical mouse and USB flash disks. The exhibitor introduce there newest product the Thin Client. For the word itself “thin” it is small object. Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client. Thin clients are ideal solution for today's healthcare, industrial, retail, financial and education industries offering a number of benefits to your business. The benefits of these are enhanced security, easier manageability, high reliability, increased energy efficiency and lower total cost of ownership. HP thin client can also be a desktop replacement costs, network security, data access to mobile or remote workers, supporting application software on diverse hardware, or ensuring your data remains accessible and secure. The first word comes in my mouth when I heard this device is “It’s amazing”. After that the most awaited part of all participant the question and answers portion. Most who got the correct answer is from the USEP and they get the tokensBoth of these companies are member of nexus group. Nexus maintains a strong network of IT solutions providers culled carefully from a genuine passion to provide solutions that offer genuine business advantage. The company has never been afraid to actively push new products. A local pioneer in solutions-based reselling, Nexus carried Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft back when they were new players in the server market. It approaches the business today with the same bravado. . Most of the exhibitor came from different parts of the Philippines gather in this spectacular event.

We finished the two consecutive sessions with the learning’s and concept about the two companies. Some of our classmate attended the last session but I and my other classmate go to the exhibit area to explore more advance technology. Being an Information Technology Student we must be updated to what is happening in terms of technology improvements. Through this event we experience the wonder of technology.

References: http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/itservices/
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/itservices/about.aspx
http://www.nexustech.com.ph/about.htm

my blog: http://jevaldez.blogspot.com/ Laughing Smile
Back to top Go down
Alfredo V. Ala-an

Alfredo V. Ala-an

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:11 pm

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Clip_i17

Where the highest mountain in the land rises over the vast rich plains of Davao, where the king of Philippine birds soar over his domain, the giant of all Philippine I.T. shows once more unfolds its latest event. It's COMDDAP Davao 2009 - the biggest I.T. expo held regularly in the South.

About COMDAP

THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

First Session/First Presenter:

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Clip_i18

DMS Process Flow

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Clip_i20

ERIC Dealership Management System (DMS) A complete, end-to-end solution for vehicle dealers, distributors, and service providers
ERIC DMS is composed of three core modules to manage dealer Operations. These modules are:
• Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
• Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA)
• Service Management (SVM)
• Customer Relationship Management
• Vehicle Sales and Administration
• Service Management
• Parts Inventory
• Order Entry and Billing
• Accounts Receivable
• Accounts Payable
• General Ledger
• Purchasing
• Time Card

Second Session/Second Presenter:

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Clip_i21

What is a thin client?

Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.

With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.
Why should I consider a thin client solution?

You need to learn more about the HP thin client solution if your business is faced with issues such as:

• Desktop replacement costs
• Network security
• Data access to mobile or remote workers
• Supporting application software on diverse hardware, or
• Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure

Thin clients are ideal solution for today's healthcare, industrial, retail, financial and education industries offering a number of benefits to your business.

Enhanced security

Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged. Thin clients are an ideal choice for businesses that are facing increased regulatory compliance laws such as HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley.

Easier manageability

Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs, client desktops can be very simple single-application kiosks or a flexible and familiar Windows environment.
Thin clients can be set up out of the box in less than 10 minutes allowing easy deployment to new users or remote locations. HP thin clients can be remotely configured and managed via management software included at no extra charge.

High reliability

With thin client access devices, business continuity is a given in the event of a natural disaster, as the data and applications are not resident on the client device. Because of their solid state design, thin clients have an extended product life of up to 5 years and can be cost effectively replaced if needed.
Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor, under the desk or just about anywhere with the optional VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association)-compatible HP Quick Release.

Increased energy efficiency

Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops. This is realized not only in energy costs but reduced air-conditioning costs in some cases. With their long lifecycle thin clients allow companies to achieve energy savings targets and reduce the need for replacement equipment.

Lower total cost of ownership

The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings. According to a study by Gartner (TCO Comparison of PCs with Server-Based Computing, June 2006) thin client TCO annual savings have been measured as high as:
• 19% less to operate
HP's Client Virtualization Solutions
HP offers a complete solution of thin client devices for essential, mainstream, flexible or specialized computing. HP can also provide all the related products and services for remote client computing or desktop virtualization including blade PCs, storage, networking and servers.

“What a great experience and a great new technology!!”
***end***
(^_^)..cocoi™️
Back to top Go down
Ariel Serenado

Ariel Serenado

PostSubject: my COMDDAP Experience...   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 8:30 pm

COMDDAP_________________________________

COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES (COMDDAP) held an Expo last June 2-4, 2009 at The Apo View Hotel, Davao City.

In line with this event, let's first review some information about COMDDAP. Its objectives, Visions, and its function as an organization.

COMDDAP.......

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies.

COMDDAP Aims...

* Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
* Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
* Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
* Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
* To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
* Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
* Foster and cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

COMDDAP Visions...

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals. Besides the COMDDAP society is on the move centralize the right and efficient way of utilizing technological advances.

COMDDAP as an association...

COMDDAP counts among its achievements the holding of the Annual COMDDAP exhibit, more popularly known as the COMDDAP EXPO, which has become a consistent crowd drawer and has in itself set new records in terms of the quality of exhibit area, exhibitors, visitors, and venues. In fact, COMDDAP EXPO in 1999 marked the first exhibit to have adapted an upgraded booth shell schemes. COMDDAP has also pledged to protect its members in addressing the growing issue of software piracy, a practice that has affected and stunted the growth of the local software industry, as well as the country's trade relations with other countries .In pushing this, COMDDAP has expressed its full support in the local manufacturing of DOS at an affordable price and with after-sales support, as well as launching a massive educational campaign.

I was there...

Now, let me share my great experience during the COMDDAP EXPO 2oo9 last June 2. Upon joining the said Expo we had ourselves registered as there were limited seats only. Besides, we are asked to attend the said expo since we are MIS and HRM students. At the vicinity of the Grand Ballroom of the Apo View where expo was held around 1 pm, there will exhibits held; many computer dealers joined the event, before we proceed to the TECH SESSIONS we visited most of the booths where exhibitors displayed their products related to technology. There were even freebies given by some exhibitors which we enjoyed. Some of the exhibitors were, Canon Marketing Philippines, SMART(smart prepaid kit, sandbox), etc. Indeed, it is a good experience having attended the COMDDAP expo, its there where you can see the top computer industries and dealers in the Philippines and maybe in abroad. After visiting the booths, we proceed to the TECH SESSIONS, as there are many topics to be discussed by the exhibitors. We were expecting that most of the visitors are professionals, to my surprise the room was occupied by the students and most are from USeP, other came from Ateneo de Davao University, some are web developers, and some are IT professionals

Series of discussions were delivered such as Jupiter Systems for ERIC Dealership Management Systems, Microsoft Dynamic Retail Management Systems, HP Philippines for HP Thin Client and Open Sourcing. DMS or Dealership Management Systems is an end-to-end solution for auto dealers. Some of the auto dealers that used this kind of solution are, Honda, Nissan, Mercedes Benz, Ford and many more. The exhibitor centered his discussions on the key features of the DMS, vehicle sales administration, system supports sales and of new and used vehicles includes inventory and vehicle purchase. These are just some of the key points to consider during the discussion on Dealership Management System. After which was the Question and Answer portion, there were questions raised from some of the professionals and one from the students.

For the HP, it was Leonard Zapa, Market Development Manager/Remote Client Solutions/Personal Systems Group, who took up the discussions for the Thin Client. Generally, a Thin Client is a computing device without a hard drive, which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PCs or virtual desktop. Everybody was amazed and became interested with the said device, it offers a lot of key features that anyone is looking for. Indeed, the device was ideal to use and very convenient for task workers. After which was the Question and Answer portion again, everybody enjoyed because of the freebies given by Mr. Leonard Zapa, such as flash drives and t-shirts exclusively from HP Philippines; one of my classmates won a flash drive and a t-shirt. The discussion was ended with a quote from Leonard Zapa that goes, "Think Big, Go Thin".

For the third one, its all on Microsoft Retail Management System. The exhibitor noted the RMS's key features, such as Inventory Control and Invoicing, purchase Orders, Pricing and Sales Marketing. The discussion was centered on the key benefits of the Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System such as, Streamline Operations, Improve profit margins, Build customer loyalty, Manage business NOT technology.

During the discussion on OPEN SOURCING, a foreigner had shared his thoughts on open sourcing and proprietary software and his views regarding the automated election, everybody was enlightened with the answer, it gave us an idea regarding our succeeding assignments. However, before the discussion started, we were asked to identify some words associated related to open sourcing. Some made mentioned free, no licensing, and etc.

During the last session which is on Open Sourcing some students and visitors went out and never came back so we're only few who dared to finish the whole discussions. Of all the discussions, one thing that caught my attention was the THIN CLIENT from HP. I was amazed with the features of the said gadget, however the price should be taken into account(very expensive). But offers the following features, and some of its key features are the following:

Enhanced Security
Easier Manageability
High Reliability
Increased Energy Efficiency

source: http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html

Generally, it was a knowledge-filled day. We learned a lot from the discussions, we have known different state-of-the-art facilities and gadgets. It was my first time to attend that kind of Expo but I enjoyed, learned and the experience are worth remembering. The Expo rendered a lot of learning especially on the latest technologies that everyone has to take into account.I'm not saying that everyone should acquire everything that was featured during the COMDDAP Expo, what I am implying is that, everyone should get acquainted on the latest run of technology.O Once and for all, technology has been a part of outlives, and it really affects our day to day living. Before we went home, we took some pictures as proofs that we were there at the expo. Here are some of those pictures:

Proofs...

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Img_7313

Taken last June 2, 2009. The Session was on Dealership Management System from JUPITER SYSTEMS.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Img_7312

Leonardo Zapa. He is the one managing HP in the Philippines. During the session he talks about HP THIN CLIENT.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Img_7411

After the sessions.From extreme left(Gleizelle, Desiree,Nara,Stihl
Lhyn,Sharlyn joy,Jennifer,Jezreel Jyl, Maria Theresa and Ariel
Serenado.)

P.S

visit my blog, just follow this link: http://www.arielserenado.blogspot.com

Very Happy Thanks!!!'til my next post... affraid
Back to top Go down
juvilynconsejo

juvilynconsejo

PostSubject: comdapp2009   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 10:17 pm

Last Thursday, July 2, 2009 all of the students who were under by our facilitator were required in attending at least two sessions. First, we have been undergone in registration of the nexus group.

When we arrived at the venue (Apo View Hotel), I myself had seen plenty of people such as students, facilitators, exhibitors and etc. During our entrance, there were also many companies that exhibits or endorse their different products.

Honestly, I myself, wondered? Is it true? You know what this is my first time that I went here in Davao especially in Apo View Hotel that's why I just observed first before I do something. I thought we had gone there just to watch the exhibits because I did not saw any place or room just for our seminar. Hahaha, it looks like funny because as I looked around my eyes there is only one door and as i saw it the signed was going to the C.R. but when you already enter there and you looked on the other side you can see our room, then, we have gone there and find our respective names and signed it.

This is it! Here comes our first speaker, it seems he is handsome and intelligent. He was Mr. Celmer Santos, the manager of the Enterprise Resource Informations and Control (ERIC). He tackled about the "dealer management system", as I heard his talk, I felt so bored maybe because the topic that he had been saying is that I can't relate on it! As far as I'm concerned, I still need to comprehend what he says because it is talking about a system so now, I will share what I had understand in his session. The DMS is a sytem in which the dealership between the agent and the customers occur. In this session also talk about the services of management and its general features and this are the following:
* Advance booking/customer appointment
* Operation maintenance
* Repair orders
* Customer sevice history and etc.

After this, it was followed by the HP Philippines Company and the speaker was Mr. Leonard Zapa, the market developer manager. I realy like their saying and it goes like this: "Think big; go thin". He had endorse their product, which was the thin client. The thin client is a computing device without a hard drive which displays data and application from remotely located servers, blade PC's or Virtual destops. One of the advantage of this product is that it can work independently. Moreover it has many benifits such as:1/4 the failure rate, 10x higher MTBF, longer life and space savings and many more.

When we talk about its corresponding price, well, as they say when you buy something do not just look as its price but try to consider the inner portion or its negative background. To sum up, thin client has more capability than a CPU even though both of it has almost same price.

Our community, has been challenging us, as an IT proffessionals and one of this is to provide information security in the sence that there were lost of data due to hardware or software malfunction, virus and other malicious attacks. So now, try to think: "are you capable of being an IT student?"

NOTE: naa unta q pics., kaso ndi q poh alam kng panu ilagay sa forum....nsa blogsite q poh...http://juvilyn-juvilyn.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://juvilyn-juvilyn.blogspot.com/
brian c. namuag

brian c. namuag

PostSubject: OMGIt'sCOMDAPP   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 10:25 pm

* COMDAPP Amusement *

COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES (COMDDAP) held an Expo last June 2-4, 2009 at The Apo View Hotel, Davao City

About COMDDAP

COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and bannered by these specific objectives:
• Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
• Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
• Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
• Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
• To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
• Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
• Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

The Visions of COMDAPP

COMDDAP as an association.

COMDDAP counts among its achievements the holding of the Annual COMDDAP exhibit, more popularly known as the COMDDAP EXPO, which has become a consistent crowd drawer and has in itself set new records in terms of the quality of exhibit area, exhibitors, visitors, and venues. In fact, COMDDAP EXPO in 1999 marked the first exhibit to have adapted an upgraded booth shell schemes. COMDDAP has also pledged to protect its members in addressing the growing issue of software piracy, a practice that has affected and stunted the growth of the local software industry, as well as the country’s trade relations with other countries .In pushing this, COMDDAP has expressed its full support in the local manufacturing of DOS at an affordable price and with after-sales support, as well as launching a massive educational campaign.

Source: http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

I Witness..

It was a hot yet glamorous day of June 2, 2009 when we witnessed the most fabulous exhibit in Apo View Hotel. COMDAPP a word which mesmerize our eyes as we’ve seen the event. Buzz of people came around to see and attend the said event. Well as a student, do I make my self a loser? We were there and grab the opportunities to learn and experienced some various events. Booths of different companies fabricate their models and give some freebies about their products regarding technology matter. There were even visitors, exhibitors and students came from different companies and schools. Some of the exhibitors were SMART Communication, Canon Marketing Philippines, Neo, Asian Tech and many more.

It was around 1:30 pm when we registered to Tech Session because there were limited sits only and luckily we attended those seminars showcasing their systems, and products. We really had fun and learned many things which definitely improve and help us as an Information Technology student. Yes, these are just once in a lifetime and were lucky to have the event. Professionals and visitors also attended the event but mostly it was us who filled the room. Students from University of Southeastern Philippines were eager to listen to the discussion.There were about 6 exhibitors who perform their presentations through power point presentation. Yes it was indeed a grateful and meaningful event that was once happen in our. The first session I attended was about ERIC(Enterprise Resource & Information Control) Managment System. ERIC creates great automotive dealers systems for big automotive dealers around the world. The session was conducted by Mr Celmer L. Santos. Below is a brief profile of ERIC DMS I go from their site.

ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS)

• Schedule prospects for test drives and follow up on appointment
Source: http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1

The second session was about the new feature hardware of HP(Hewlett Packard) which is the thin client. This presentation really amazed by everyone for their product really interesting and eye catching. They have tokens after the presentation and unfortunately I did not win. Ahahahaha...but its ok for I really had fun with the giving of tokens alone. Questions were easy to answer, however first hand to raise will win. Here are some of the definitions and terms with Thin Client Product.

Thin Client

A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central serverfat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.
for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. A thin client, sometimes called a lean client, is a low-cost, centrally-managed computer devoid of CD-ROM players, diskette drives, and expansion slots. The term derives from the fact that small computers in networks tend to be clients and not servers.

Since the idea is to limit the capabilities of these computers to only essential applications, they tend to be purchased and remain "thin" in terms of the client applications they include. As software as a service (SaaS) gains popularity, it is expected that thin clients and blade PCs will replace desktop PCs in many work and educational environments. In general, they are not as vulnerable to malware attacks, have a longer life cycle, use less power and are less expensive to purchase.
Thin client is also used to describe software applications that use the client-server model where the server performs all the processing.

It was indeed a great experienced and opportunity to everyone. We learned many things and value it. We thank COMDAPP for inviting and allowing us to see some rare opportunities that we cannot forget. This is all my experienced and have a nice day ahead.

Source: http://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid7_gci213135,00.

My Blog: http://brian-takealook.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://brian-takealook.blogspot.com/
florenzie_palma

florenzie_palma

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:29 pm

EXPOSE, EXPLORE, EXPERIENCE
It was already 12:45 when I arrived at my boarding house from a very exhausting class. I have to fast-track my actions in order to cope up and not to be late in the COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES (COMDDAP) Expo.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda10

We took a jeepney and arrived 1:30pm at the Apo View Hotel. The ambiance is filled with many people and it makes me feel uneasy, for the fact that we are registered in a 1-2pm session. As we go inside the exhibit area, we noticed that many of our co-USePians were not yet in the seminar
area, so I and my colleagues opt to wait the session to start and decided to roam around and observe some of the exhibits.

Majority of the spectators were students coming from different schools in the city. There were also businessmen and visitors who were present in the exhibit. I was amazed by the state-of-the-art gadgets that have been put on display such as computers, printers, cameras, notebook computers, motherboards and etc. Moreover, some freebies and souvenirs have been given away to the spectators.

The clock strikes 1:45pm and its time for the session which is the ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System. We hurried up and find our most comfortable place in the session room. As the session started we noticed that the speaker Mr. Celmer Santo was attractive and a candy in the eye, which motivates us to listen to his deliberation. His topic was attention-grabbing because it talks about their database system which is also tackled in our previous database subjects.

bounce bounce ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System is under the Jupiter Systems which is a Philippine based IT Services company dedicated to delivering solutions for medium to large
companies. We offer services covering the entire range of business activities- from marketing and promotion, procurement/supply chain management, manufacturing, distribution, financial reporting, business intelligence, and even IT infrastructure security and maintenance.

A keen understanding of business and operational objectives, two decades experience in industry best practices, creative talent, and the technology/skills to implement winning solutions for:

• ERP/Business Software Development
• Business Intelligence
• Web Design and Development
• eCommerce and Internet Media/Internet Marketing
• Network, Server and Storage Infrastructure Services
• Telephony Infrastructure Services

Furthermore, he elaborated about The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) which is an end-to-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services.

Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and
completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting.

In addition, with ERIC DMS, you can have full visibility over all operations. Achieve total control over your car dealership business today.

Exclamation DMS Process Flow Exclamation

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Pictur10

ERIC Dealership Management System (DMS) A complete, end-to-end solution for vehicle dealers, distributors, and service providers

ERIC DMS is composed of three core modules to manage dealer Operations. These modules are:

• Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
• Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA)
• Service Management (SVM)

silent Customer Relationship Management (CRM)

ERIC CRM captures and tracks information for sales and marketing from walk-in prospects to sale, and even post sales appointment scheduling. All appointments are visible to the appropriate account manager- from sales to follow up calls and service.

silent Vehicle Sales Administration (VSA)

With VSA, dealers will be able to automate the business cycle of vehicle selling: customer quotations, sales ordering, vehicle allocation, invoicing, vehicle purchasing, and vehicle receiving. The system also keeps track of vehicle inventory.

Manage your inventory of vehicles. Powerful import shipment features keep track of shipping costs as you order from your manufacturer.

silent Service Management (SM)

The Service Management module records and controls the full range of operations when delivering service requests. This includes:

• Booking and creating repair orders (ROs)
• Approval and assignment of ROs to a mechanic
• Parts and materials request
• Mechanic's time monitoring
• Final control quality checklisting
• Service operations monitoring for efficiency and materials consumption

All of the above capabilities depend on ERIC SVM's integration with the core ERP modules for purchasing, crm, inventory, and accounts receivable. Develop a reputation of reliability by keeping track of warranty and applying these to the appropriate repair orders.

After he talk about and present his product, he entertained some of questions regarding on the system. He ends the session with footprints of knowledge on the young intellectuals.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Immediately, the next session proceeded which is the HP Thin Client. He start the conference with announcing that he will be giving some gifts such as 2G and 8G flash drives, t-shirts, and optical mouse to those who can answer the questions after his presentation, which gives an adrenaline rush to listeners and induce them to listen.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 07thin10

I am captured by the tag-line of HP Thin Client which is “Think big- Go thin” which also catches the attention of everybody.

I have noted some of the important keywords about his product the HP Thin client. It comes from a variety of HP thin clients which includes the HP t5145, HP t5540, HP t5545, HP t5630 and HP t5630w models which offers the customers a range of performance options and choice of
Windows®️ CE, Windows Embedded Standard and Linux operating systems.

Why should I consider a thin client solution?

You need to learn more about the HP thin client solution if your business is faced with issues such as:

• Desktop replacement costs
• Network security
• Data access to mobile or remote workers
• Supporting application software on diverse hardware, or
• Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure

Embarassed Enhanced security

Embarassed Easier manageability

Embarassed High reliability

Embarassed Increased energy efficiency

Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops. This is realized not only in energy costs but reduced air-conditioning costs in some cases. With their long lifecycle thin
clients allow companies to achieve energy savings targets and reduce the need for replacement equipment.

Embarassed Lower total cost of ownership

The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings.

According to a study by Gartner (TCO Comparison of PCs with Server-Based Computing, June 2006) thin client TCO annual savings have been measured as high as:

• 19% less to operate

HP's Client Virtualization Solutions

HP offers a complete solution of thin client devices for essential, mainstream, flexible or specialized computing. HP can also provide all the related products and services for remote client computing or
desktop virtualization including blade PCs, storage, networking and servers.

The HP Thin Client is a leading server-based computing solution designed to make business leaner and more efficient. Centralized management means new applications and upgrades need only be
installed once. Deployment is cheap, quick and easy. Users will enjoy more desk space, not to mention the terminal’s sleek looks and agile performance. And the speed, flexibility and security of our network is guaranteed.

Microsoft®️ Windows®️ XP Embedded and CE.NET combined with HP t5000 Thin Clients result in a true end-to-end Terminal Services installation for a truly end-to-end Terminal Services
installation for Server Based Computing and cost-effective enterprise
integration.

If your business is thinking big, it's time to go thin.

After the presentation, everybody was eager about the question and answer portion. Everyone is very attentive and animated because they don’t want to squander the opportunity. Unfortunately, I don’t have any of the gifts but what matters most is the learning and knowledge that I gained which cannot be replaced by any material thing.

I have been EXPOSED on the variety of topics in the areas of technology, trends, applications, and information management which gives me understanding and awareness of the up-to-date devices and paraphernalia’s.

I have EXPLORED the diverse and dynamic world of technology. and...

I have EXPERIENCED to go beyond, not only dependent on the teacher’s knowledge nor confined to what is available inside the classroom.

my blog http://florenzie-palma.blogspot.com/

Idea Idea References: Idea Idea
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1#
[url=http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/sm.aspx]http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/sm.aspx
[url=http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/itservices/about.aspx]http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/itservices/about.aspx
[url=http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=974]http://blogs.zdnet.com/virtualization/?p=974
http://h20426.www2.hp.com/campaign/thinclients/au/en/

Back to top Go down
carla comoda

carla comoda

PostSubject: COMDAP Learnings/Reflections   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 12:34 am

Reflection regarding the seminar::::::
Good day... Last July 2, 2009 I attended a Technology Updates seminar of Computer Manufacturers Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMDAP) At Apo View Hotel. Actually I attended two pm session and I felt glad to join this kind of seminar because it gives more information and details regarding my course which is InfoTech. It has an IT exhibit, Technology Update seminars and product launching. Before I write my reflection regarding the speaker of Technology Updates seminar I should define what is COMDDAP?
COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of
prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

The first speaker was Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated he tackle more about their system and he also said that the people in JSI is really a Filipino citizen and we should be proud of it because we “pinoy” are skilled person and has brilliant mind where many foreign people appreciate us and hired us to their company and although I cant relate of what he is being discussed I should listen in order for me to comprehend of what is Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERICDMS) Brilliant Dealer Management System which involves car dealerships and service transactions. JSI is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years. JSI has accumulated a customer base of more than 900 customers in the Philippines, across the Asia-Pacific, and into North America.
In order to deliver projects on time and on budget while considering customer requirements, Jupiter Systems employs the following interlocking methodologies:
1. The Rational Unified Process (RUP) to manage the full lifecycle of JSI’️s software development projects- based on a platform-independent tool called Rational Software by IBM. RUP covers the following:
• Software Dev Project Management
• Requirements Analysis
• Project Definition
• Design
• Coding/Development
• Configuration Management
• Quality Assurance- functional testing and load testing
2. Implementation Methodology for Software Applications to manage deployment of software to end users. This implementation methodology covers:
• Process-in-place documentation
• Process-to-be design and documentation
• Process-to-be acceptance testing
• Core Team/End User Training
• User Support
• Defect Reporting

Service Offerings
A keen Understanding of business and operational objectives, two (2) decades of experience in the industry’s best practices, creative talent, and technology/skills to implement winning solutions for:
• Software Development
• Business Intelligence/ Data Mining
• Web / eCommerce
• IT infrastructure Services
• Core MS Infrastructure Services
• Core Network Infrastructure Services
• Telephony Infrastructure Services
• Business Process Consulting
• Web Based Software in Public Relations
• Microfinance Solutions
• Open Source Platforms

Platforms
• Operating Systems
o Windows Server/Desktop, Pocket PC/ Windows CE, Palm OS
• Databases
o Microsoft, Oracle, Sybase
• Development
o Microsoft.Net, Powerbuilder
• Business Intelligence/Data Warehousing
o COGNOS
• Multimedia/Web
o Macromedia
The second speaker is Leonard Zapa, a Market Development Manager of HP Company. He discussed and promote their product which is Thin Client which is Free Open Source Thin Client Solution consisting of a Linux based operating system along with a comprehensive Java based management GUI and server component. It is intended for environments where a medium to large number of Thin Clients must be supported and managed efficiently. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary Thin Client Solutions, openThinClient empowers developers and integrators to create advanced Thin Client solutions... for free.
openThinClient is released as an open source software under the GNU General Public License (GPL) v2 , and it is available for download free of charge.
He tackles why buy thin clients?
It is because Easy access on demand. More Control of entertprise IT. Besides The HP Compaq Thin Client t5000 Series is a leading server-based computing solution designed to make business leaner and more efficient. Centralized management means new applications and upgrades need only be installed once. Deployment is cheap, quick and easy. Users will enjoy more desk space, not to mention the terminal’s sleek looks and agile performance. And the speed, flexibility and security of your network is guaranteed.

Microsoft®️ Windows®️ XP Embedded and CE.NET combined with HP t5000 Thin Clients result in a true end-to-end Terminal Services installation for a truly end-to-end Terminal Services installation for Server Based Computing and cost-effective enterprise integration. If your business is thinking big, it’s time to go thin.
Other thing is Why go Thin?
• Control software, applications and files centrally
• Save up to 80% on maintenance costs
• Deploy out-the-box in under 10 minutes
• Support your legacy mainframe
• Effortlessly manage enterprise IT
• Use fewer support personnel
• Manage remotely with simple problem diagnosis
• Reduce hardware theft
Therefore after the seminar I felt that I belong to the world of professional people and it is an opportunity to be part of seminar which is organized by COMDAP and I learn a lot…….

God Bless.....

Reference:

http://www.nexusgroup.com

Last edited by april kaye bigonte on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://quinkaye.blogspot.com
katherine eng lajom

katherine eng lajom

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 1:13 am

COMDDAP stands for COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES. It was held at the Apo view Hotel here in Davao City.

What exactly COMDDAP is?

According to its official web site, COMDDAP is an association of the country’s top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the country’s information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. Its goal is to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors – private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

To read more about COMDDAP, click this link http://comddap.org/aboutus.htm.

July 3, 2009 was the second day of the COMDDAP exhibit. I registered myself online for July 4, ut I was able to come at its this day. The reason was that some of my friends dragged me to go after Mr. G fr consultation. (PEACE, hehehe). I know this was ridiculous. I warned my friends in the first place that Mr. G. will not entertain us and obviously they did not listen. We were there, standing at the corner for a very long time keeping an eye on Mr. G. Hehehe. Until my friends surrendered and decided to look around and better enjoy the exhibit. We had a hilarious day with us as we went home.

July 4, I wet back to the venue of the exhibit to listen to some interesting lectures. Even though I forgot the topics I checked during registration online. I went that day together with my friends, the same company I had yesterday. We entered the Vanda Room. There we met the Marketing Head of ERIC Systems. He presented to us the latest system of Jupiter Systems Inc., known as the Dealer Management System (DMS). This system is particularly used by some car dealer companies.

To learn more about DMS, visit the Jupiter Systems Inc., http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/.

The lecture ended by giving away of some digital copies (CDs) of the lecturer’s presentation. I wasn’t able to have a copy for myself because there were only limited copy of it.

Past three o’clock that afternoon, we stayed inside the room and waited for the next lecturer. He is from HP Philippines. I know a little what-abouts of HP before. I thought this company is known only in manufacturing printers. I thought it was because my first two printers were HP! Hihihi. As the lecturer introduced more about HP’s products, the company has been known because of their optimum products such as HP notebooks and HP desktop computers, HP printers and Hp scanners and other imaging devices…

I’m getting there… THE HP THIN CLIENT

While entering the room, the lecturer carried with him his HP laptop. He went back outside and brought along with him something. I was a bit sleepy that time and pulled myself together while looking at the thing puzzled. He placed it on the table in front. I tapped my friend sitting right beside me and said,

“YOT, cute kayo ang projector o, gamay…” My friend nodded. Minutes passed I guess and I began again, “Ay, di diay na projector, speaker na oi.” (TOINKS!) My friend agreed again. It was when the lecturer started and that we realized that we made the wrong guesses. (TAGAM!). The thing that he’s going to introduce is called HP Thin Client.

What is HP Thin Client?

Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.

Click this link to read more about HP thin clients.
(http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html)

The lecture ended with so much fun. The lecturer asked the crowd some questions about HP thin clients and if one of us got the right answer, he gives away HP shirts, mouse and USB Flash Drives. Again, we had another hilarious afternoon. Projector eh? No, speaker. Hahaha.
Back to top Go down
http://grandliver.blogspot.com
jojimie

jojimie

PostSubject: COMDDAP   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 1:17 am

alien

Thursday afternoon, July 02, 2009, it’s already 1:30 in the afternoon when I arrived at the Apo View Hotel.
I was not able to read the information about COMDDAP Expo in the forum or since I came to college so I don’t have any idea regarding to this event.

Razz
Fortunately, I was able to witness the latest in information technology’s fast-phase development. I am very much thankful because I’m one of the chosen few and given a chance to witness this kind or become part of this activity. Honestly, I found COMDDAP Expo as a very useful and helpful activity, since it serves as a paradigm. When I was attended that activity, I thought I am a professional one. As an IT student, the said program gives me lots of knowledge especially to the technology which is not really known to me. Not just imagining but in actual way I observe and I’ve seen the different high tech gadgets and technologies. It also gave me some general views and updates in some sectors especially personal and administration, and highly regarded individuals to further strengthen the self-esteem and knowledge of its society. COMDDAP Expo also serves as a stepping stone to each individual towards a brighter future. Why I say so because it provides to us or as a literate one to become fully aware to the different trends of technology. It is very much important to us as an IT student to have full of knowledge and wisdom as regards the use of technology and elevate its principles in the community. Most especially, the different booths advertising their product that helps to supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices. It gave huge help for us when we are going to purchase product, we are become responsive of which is the best one to choose. Indeed, COMDDAP Expo promotes and cultivates harmony and amity so that we can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

Razz

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Header-aboutcommdap

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses.

Objective:

To promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies.

Goal:

To be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

Vision:

Promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP.

Since then, COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and bannered by these specific objectives:

• Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
• Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
• Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
• Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
• To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
• Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
• Foster and cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Car

The first speaker talked about the ERIC [Enterprise Resource Information and Control] Dealer Management System (DMS). It is an end-to-end software solution for automotive dealer operation. ERIC DMS' range of solutions covers Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA), and Service Management (SVM).

The second speaker talked about Thin Client which is computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Hdr-G9319002072008-180x110

Here are some advantages:

----Enhanced security
----Easier manageability
----High reliability
----Increased energy efficiency
----Lower total cost of ownership

79% less downtime cost per user
16% capital cost savings
34% less in maintenance
19% less to operate
48% overall lower total cost

Reference:

[center] flower lol! flower
Back to top Go down
Sheila Capacillo

Sheila Capacillo

PostSubject: COMDDAP EXPO 2009   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 9:32 am

What does COMDDAP means?

The Venue

The activity was held at The Apo View Hotel at J. Camus Street Davao City. The Expo last for 3 days, it was scheduled last July 2-4, 2009. We registered 4 days before the event so that they can reserve a slot for us.

The Discussions we have joined

We join two discussions, the first presenter is Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated. He discussed about their system, which is the ERP system. There company focuses on selling cars, example of it are Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi. The Jupiter system also has Service Management General Features which focus on Advance bookings or Customer appointments, Operation maintenance or FLAT rates, Repair order, Repair Estimates, Customer Service History, Technician Time-in or Time-out, Parts requisitioning and picking, Service invoicing, Warranty claims and processing, Field Service Actions(Campaigns).
The second presenter was the Market Development Manager of the HP Philippines, Mr. Leonard Zapa. He discussed about their latest product, the Thin Client.

The Thin client
Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer

The thin client is very useful if we would consider this things that very important in a company:

Desktop replacement costs
Network security
Data access to mobile or remote workers
Supporting application software on diverse hardware
Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure

Benefits of Thin client:

Enhanced Security-Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged.

Easier manageability-Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs.

High reliability-Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor,

Increased energy efficiency-Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops.

Lower total cost of ownership-The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings.

Reflection:

The event for me was successful, it is my first time to join an exhibit like that and I was amazed of the new technologies that I have seen. The presenters were organized, and they impressed us with their products. If only I am rich, I would buy all their products (char lang…hehe). The product of HP which is the Thin Client is impressing because the product is small but it can do different tasks. The product is really useful for businesses to lower their cost in investing to CPU’s which will only last for a shorter time compared to the thin Client. The Jupiter Systems which presents about their systems also impressed us, when we looked at their system, it is simple but it has unique functionalities. Even though we can’t relate that much in the products that they are selling the focus is on their system. Their presentation is fun, they had distributed tokens for some students who can answer their questions. I was given a chance to answer too but I did not got the right answer, but its ok after all one of our classmate got some prize. After the presentation, we went out of the room to see the different booths of the different companies. They have different products that are really useful to us. I think the event was really successful.

References:

http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/
http://www.comddap.org/
http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF04a/12454-12454-321959-338927-89307.html
Back to top Go down
John Paul Pulido

John Paul Pulido

PostSubject: The COMDDAP Event   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 9:59 am

The COMDDAP Event

COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines)is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals. The Discussions we have joined
The activity was held at The Apo View Hotel at J. Camus Street Davao City. The Expo last for 3 days, it was scheduled last July 2-4, 2009. We registered 4 days before the event so that they can reserve a slot for us. We join two discussions, the first presenter is Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated. He discussed about their system, which is the ERP system. There company focuses on selling cars, example of it are Nissan, Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi. The Jupiter system also has Service Management General Features which focus on Advance bookings or Customer appointments, Operation maintenance or FLAT rates, Repair order, Repair Estimates, Customer Service History, Technician Time-in or Time-out, Parts requisitioning and picking, Service invoicing, Warranty claims and processing, Field Service Actions(Campaigns).The second presenter was the Market Development Manager of the HP Philippines, Mr. Leonard Zapa. He discussed about their latest product, the Thin Client.

HP Product
Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer
The thin client is very useful if we would consider these things that very important in a company Desktop replacement costs, Network security, Data access to mobile or remote workers, Supporting application software on diverse hardware, Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure

Advantages of Thin client:
Enhanced Security-Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged.
Easier manageability-Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs.
High reliability-Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor,
Increased energy efficiency-Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops.
Lower total cost of ownership-The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings.

Reflection:

The Event started good and ended good. The presenters are well prepared and organized. Their topics were interesting. After the discussions we went out to visit different booths. The company’s shows their different latest products such as TV, notebooks, printers, cameras and many more. The exhibit focuses on high-tech gadgets and they are promoting it for better innovation. There are lots of participants from different sectors. There are students, employees, parents and many more.

References:

Last edited by John Paul Pulido on Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kristine_delatorre

kristine_delatorre

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 11:23 am

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda11

COMDDAP Davao 2009 is said to be the biggest I.T. expo held regularly in the South.

COMDDAP stand for Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines which was held during July 2-4, 2009.This event is held to Discover new technology and applications that will help increase productivity in different business. To meet up with top distributors and resellers of the world's leading brand names.To Gain market intelligence and be updated on the latest market trends.

as we enter Apo view hotel here in Davao city.. the ambiance was inviting. I, together with my classmate enter the said establishment to find out what COMDDAP has something to show us IT students. People passing by some were just passers who was curious with the event. But some had caught my attention. With tags wrote EXHIBITOR. I was amazed by them. Exhibitor of the COMDDAP exhibits are mostly IT professionals. Expert in a lot of aspects in IT. As we are about to tour the place, Students like me from different university and colleges here in Davao are everywhere in the corner of the room. Some student were testing gadgets, some gathered pamphlets and some were just simply stare and amazed. One thing has come up to my mind the moment i step closer to the first booth i surveyed - HIGH.

i was high because it was my first time. First time to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity to actually experience what IT professionals world. And someday i dreamt that i will be become like them.

i was high because i was amazed. Amazed of the latest gadgets and technologies that help uplift the living of the people here in the Philippines. Beautiful laptops, notebook, plasma tvs and cameras were exhibit being proud of what Filipino products and International companies like HP has stored for us Techy guys and girls.i had Get up close and take a first-hand look at the latest I.T. products and software for computing, imaging, printing , connecting and communications, security, entertainment and lifestyle applications.

i was high because I've learned a lot. I'd learned that IT industry is expanding and growing. It provides a lot of careers and opportunity for those IT students who take his career as a serious thing to be appreciated. This world is fast pace. We need to go with the flow.

i was high because i was oriented. Oriented as i we joined many IT professionals and students in a close door product endorsement or exhibit with The Nexus Group and HP. The First presentation was about the Database System that The Nexus Group made. They present to us how was the database system is being done and implemented. They had also shared some important facts about how systems made are step by step procedures and make your client prioritized all the time. The second presentor was from HP. The HP representative has introduced us to their latest technology. The THIN CLIENT. The thin client was somewhat similar to the function of the CPU of the desktop but it has wonderful features that exceeds the capacity and features of a desktop system unit.

i was high because i loved being an IT student. It has made me realize that opportunities are like a passing wind. You have to feel it and let your system feel every inch on how IT had changed your prospect in life.

i was high because COMDDAP had showed me professionalism. Many individuals are there to show support in the said the Bloomed industry today.

i was high because its fulfilling. The experience with my friends and classmate had allowed us to faced reality than just theory inside the classroom.

after the presentation of HP of The Thin Client, we decided to exit the room. All my friends were talking about the fun experience. Like me, they were also astounded by the once in a lifetime experience that COMDDAP has offered to us.

Being a student of USEP has given me an opportunity to explore everything behind classroom. Experience as a tool, it will help us mold into a person we want to be in future. time will tell with the Help of almighty God. Success is beyond reach!
Back to top Go down
http://kjdelatorre.blogspot.com/
Stihl Lhyn Samonte

Stihl Lhyn Samonte

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines(COMDDAP)

• About COMDDAP
The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals. In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.
On July 02, 2009, Thursday at exactly 1:00pm, together with my classmates, we went to the Apo View Hotel to attend a seminar on different organizations and to witness an exhibit on different technology products. We saw different gadgets, latest computer and other computer stuffs. We were enjoying watching the gadgets and products they exhibit. We were busy roaming around, taking pictures, exploring and trying the high technology products they exhibit. After were seen the
different exhibitors displayed, we proceed to the final session. The first speaker was Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated. He shared a brief history of the said company. Jupiter's display wall processors are designed for continuous, 24x7 operation and are used in more than 6000 network operation centers, electric power generation and distribution control rooms, boardrooms, intelligent traffic control centers, 911 dispatch centers, financial operations, surveillance and security centers, and fixed and mobile military operations control centers around the world. He had talked about Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERICDMS) Brilliant Dealer Management System which involves car dealerships and service transactions. I had taken some notes that he had discussed.
The second speaker was Leonard Zapa, a Market Development Manager of HP Company. He discussed about Linux, CE, and XPe. As a student I can say that I could relate this because I have already heard about HP. He gave some prizes such as T-shirts and USB flash disks. The room was filled with excitement. He talked about new a product, the thin client. Thin client is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.
The third speaker discussed about Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System. He discussed short information about their company. The last speaker talked about the Open Source for Business Applications of the Spinweb Productions, Incorporated. He gave some ideas about open source, like open source was a source code, free, open, contributor, free license, etc. He also gave us some websites such as lullabot.com, joomlapolis.com, joomla.org.ph, and openwp.org.
We were so happy with all fulfillments that we have given an opportunity like this and learned everything and to witness an IT exhibit on different technology products. It was so interested on the products that they exhibit. Our visiting in COMDDAP would never be complete without taking pictures.

Sources:
http://www.jupiter.com/cm/Home.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

mY bLog:http://stihlyn.blogspot.com/ Arrow
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Empty

Back to top Go down

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next