HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Norena T. Nicdao

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Last July 2, 2009, we attended an exhibit called COMDDAP (COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES) in Apo View Hotel.

What is COMDDAP (COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES)?

THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.

Source: http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

Sir Randy Gamboa told us about the exhibit and he invited his students to attend the said exhibit. We need to register first through the internet in the Nexus group for us to attend at least 2 seminars or sessions in the exhibit. It has 4 seminars or sessions held in the exhibit. But we only attended 2 seminars or sessions which was the ERIC DMS (Dealer Management System) and the HP Invent. Before we attend to the seminar we watched the different technology and products o f the different company who present their exhibit. I saw and observed new technologies they present. Their were also many businessman, visitors and students from different schools and other people who watched the exhibit. We took some pictures and registered to the different raffle draw. Other exhibitors gave some tokens like the GH Office Depot, they gave us ballpens as a token.

The first seminar was all about the ERIC DMS (Dealer Management System) they used in their company. Mr Celmir L. Santos was the presenter or the speaker. He explained about the usage and features of the DMS (Dealership Management System) they had in their company.

What is ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System?

The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-to-end software solution for automotive sales, parts, and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities- from marketing to sales and services.

Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting.

Seamless integration with core ERIC ERP modules for inventory, procurement, and financial accounting completes the package. This enables management to have full visibility on operations and finances through a comprehensive set of reports.

Source: http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/edms.aspx

These are the general features of the system:

- Sales lead monitoring from initial inquiry to actual
- Sales quotation processing
- Supports sales of new and used vehicles
- Financing and Insurance transactions
- Vehicle reservation and deposit collection
- Vehicle Inventory
- Customer incident and resolution recording
- Reports and Queries
- Customer Appointments
- Repair, Order and Estimates
- Customer and Vehicle service History
- Technician Time-in/Time-out
- Control Parts and Consumable cost

The following are the ERIC DMS (Dealer Management System) clients:

- Honda
- Mercedes Benz
- Mitsubishi
- etc.

Dealer Management System is a complete, end-to-end relationship.

The second seminar or session was all about the new product of the HP Invent which is the THIN CLIENTS.

About HP Company

Hewlett-Packard (Canada) Co., established in Montreal, Quebec in 1961, is a wholly owned subsidiary of California-based Hewlett-Packard Co - a technology solutions provider to consumers, businesses and institutions around the world. HP Canada has an extensive network of dealers and authorized service personnel in Canada and operates 28 offices across the country.

Led by Paul Tsaparis, President and CEO, HP Canada delivers solutions for Canadian consumers, enterprises and small to medium businesses. We explore how technology and services can help people and companies address their problems and challenges, and realize their possibilities, aspirations and dreams. We apply new thinking and ideas to create more simple, valuable and trusted experiences with technology, continuously improving the way our customers live and work.
No other company offers as complete a technology product portfolio as HP. We provide infrastructure and business offerings that span from handheld devices to some of the world's most powerful supercomputer installations. We offer consumers a wide range of products and services from digital photography to digital entertainment and from computing to home printing. This comprehensive portfolio helps us match the right products, services and solutions to our customers' specific needs.

Source: http://www.hp.com/canada/corporate/hp_info/aboutus.html

Mr. Leonard Zapa was the presenter or speaker in the seminar. He is the Market Developer Manager of the company. I had take down some notes from their presentation. About the product THIN CLIENTS is a computing device without a hard drive which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PC's, or Virtual Desktops.

THIN CLIENTS OS (Operating Systems):

- Linux
- windowsCE
- WindowsXPe

There were also challenges for Information Technology (IT) Professionals:

- Provide Information Security
- Deployment and Maintenance
- Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)

Advantages of the THIN CLIENTS:

- Enhanced Security
- Easy Manageability
- High Reliability
- Environment Friendly
- Lower-Overall Costs

After the presentation they gave several questions regarding to their presentation. If someone answer the question they gave some tokens like T-Shirt, Flash drive (5 pieces of 2G USB and 1 piece of 8G USB) and 1 piece of mouse in the computer. We're very excited to answer the question for the tokens. After the seminars, we left the room because we want to continue our viewing in the exhibit. We continue collecting flyers or magazines for us to have a references. Because of this event I had gathered some information regarding the technology and other things which is related in our course.

Last edited by Norena T. Nicdao on Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:51 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
basith_jumat

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi guys..! Hi sir..!
July 02, 2009, In the Apo View hotel the exhibition of Computer’s Manufacturer’s Distributor’s Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMMDAP) was held. Most of the technology company participates in this event they launch the new and the latest technology that we have now in our country, it’s a big opportunity for us student to be a part of this event because not only for exposing our selves to saw the latest technology but we gain knowledge through the free seminar that they were conduct. This seminar is open to all participants, visitors and students, for main reason that they can introduce their new product. I gain more knowledge in that seminar, especially to the session that I attended. The Jupiter System and the HP- thin clients.
First, the Jupiter System: Jupiter Systems is the leading worldwide supplier of visualization solutions for command and control applications. Jupiter's display wall processors are designed for continuous, 24x7 operation and are used in more than 6000 network operation centers, electric power generation and distribution control rooms, boardrooms, intelligent traffic control centers, 911 dispatch centers, financial operations, surveillance and security centers, and fixed and mobile military operations control centers around the world. In that day, Jupiter System Inc. introduced their new and upgradable system that can be applicable to most of the Operating System that we have been using now specifically the Windows XP, Windows Vista, Linux, Mac OS IX.. Their system is all about the system that can be use in the business company specifically to the dealer of automobile. It can also be applicable to the auto shop that repair or maintain car machines; it has a lot of features including the time of employee while they are repairing the car. And it will be take effect to their Daily Time Record (DTR). Obviously this System is communicating to the database but we amaze the advantages of their system it is really amazing and a good application software for the business group like rubberland or other company that are dealing with automobile business weather they are a dealer of a brand new car, surplus, or even in a parts of a car. It will be helpful because of the advantages that will give to the customer’s and to the owners of the business.
Second, the HP- Thin Clients was known with their flexibility and functionality with broad choice of models and operating systems.
• Genuine Windows®️ CE
Embedded SP2
• Linux operating system
• Simplified central management
•3-year limited warranty
HP-Thin client categories can meet your unique needs: high performance, mobile, and all-in-one.
High performance thin clients provide PC power with thin client benefits
• Mobile thin clients for portability and flexibility in and out of the office
• All-in-one thin clients for customer facing or space-constrained environments (ideal for kiosks, carts, front office).
Actually this HP-thin client are widely use because of their advantages compare to desktop client specially to the business who are using a lot of desktop client, but for the people who are using for home sake it’s better to an desktop client because in using a thin client you are using a server to connect to the thin client. In the long run you can save a lot energy fee and it is free from viruses because the data are store in the flash drive and not in the hard drive. For me as a student it’s better for me to use a desktop client because it so expensive if I will use this HP-thin client. Just imagine the worth of the server is php 45,000 and the thin client is php 20,000 to php 30,000, the server can accommodate sixty thin client compare to one thin client and you expend a big amount for just one thin client. For this reason we can evaluate the advantage of using a desktop client but if you are talking the number of user’s it’s better for you to use a thin client. Hp- thin client have a good software as we can see there two of it that I Understand is the key component of HP’s overall management strategy, First, HP Device Manager allows you to track, configure, upgrade, clone, and manage up to thousands of thin client devices with ease. Dramatically simplify device deployment, task automation, compliance management, and policy-based security management for greater business agility. Second, HP Image Manager are also part of hp- thin client software, one single software image with the operating system, applications, and drivers is streamed on-demand from your streaming appliance to your organization’s thin clients. Imagine the simplicity of managing just one software image, instead of dozens or hundreds of images, as with other deployment methods.
After the Seminar we sight seeing in the ballroom ground of Apo View Hotel on where the exhibition was held. They have a lot of a technology that really amaze me especially the neo laptop it only cost 17,000 and that’s for COMDDAP price only. Not only the hardware that they exhibit even the software like the anti-viruses, Application System for the business group was already their. The Copier Machine, like printer, photo copier and also the different type of biometric technology. After roaming around in the exhibit we captured some picture in the different booth.
I’m so thankful for this opportunities that was given to me by Computer’s Manufacturer’s Distributor’s Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMMDAP), because it open my mind that technology are really evolved by time to time. As an Information Technologies it easily for me to adopt this kind of changes of the technology because it is a part of my field. They help me also to develop my skill in observing things for me to appreciate more or to give a comment those thing that I’ve see even though I don’t like it. Now, I can say to my self that the improvement cause by the Computer’s Manufacturer’s Distributor’s Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMMDAP) is now a part of my progress in my field.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
desiree

PostSubject: COMDDAP   Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:45 am

It’s been a week since we have attended a conference which they called COMDDAP been held at the Apo View Hotel in partnership with the Nexus Group. Amazingly, we were there to witness how the big companies featured their facilities. And all I could say about the appreciation on how they manage the event organize as well, perfectly planned. As we get inside the conference room, most of the people who were there were USePians. And we know definitely their purpose of being there.. Of course “alam na”.

Since listing and understanding the presented topic were tasked for us to perform, we really bring with us our “black and white”. The presenter of Jupiter System seems like too serious but cool. But who I appreciate more is the second presenter since even he’s quite rush in speaking, he has he power to maintain and develop his skill.

Jupiter System "always considers the client's need”. Here are some of the feature characteristics of the said System that was given by the first presenter of the day:
-CRM
-end to end
-vehicle sales
-vehicle services (upper sale operation)
-back office operation
-financial reporting

The presenter also present to us some of the features fo the system..
CRM features
ERIC DMS- vehicle sales administration

HP THIN client

The next presenter named Leonardo Zapa, the development manager of
the said company HP, gave us an introduction about THIN client that
their company is offering. What does THIN client means??

THIN CLIENT

A thin client is an end to end solution widely used by most of the biggest company all over the world. Compared to the Central Processing Unit, HP THIN client is more secure especially in times when there is an error being encountered. HP THIN client reboot to remove virus since it has a deep freeze solution an dcan auto- save files even without memory.

HP THIN client is the fastest growing client. Since we all know that the more you deploy, the more it's harder for you to handle or secure, therefore, what the THIN is trying to imply is that
having their solution would probably give you the power to rebust.

What THIN client is?
Remote computing architecture
SBC
VDI
Web Client

There were also benefits that THIN Client producing. THIN is a"Self- healing through power recycle", a Hardened Embedded Operating System (OS) and has a Free Management tools

-thin states, HP devise manager, Altivis DS, CA starter, Altirris lie approximately $27 per unit
1/4 failure rate
10* higher MTBF
Solid state, no noise longer life ONSITE, whole unit replacement up to 80% lower power (11 to 20Watts) space savings(less than 1/15vol), efficient slipping and handling reduce (by 75%) foam and board (40%) packaging minimal heat generated, requires a less cooling lower initial hardware cost, and lower overall TCO.
Microsoft Dynamics
Retail Management

The Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management atalks about how improving businesses in a lesser span of time. The presenter states that, “Success depends on more than store location”. Therefore, in order for your business to be known, you must envision of of multiplying it.

Owner/ retailer/ industry leadership
-could monitor business in your house

Microsoft Word R&D investment is highest in industry. Here are some manufacturers that being led by the said organization:
• Seven eleven
• Game Stop
• JC Penny
• Mc. Do and many more...

Here are some Customer commitment Benefits:
• Streamline operations
• Improve profit margins
• Build customer loyalty (10% less for student)
• Manage business, not technology (can easily be learned)
• Have a life outside your business

Another RMS by features:
• Inventory control
• Purchase orders
• Pricing sales and promotions
• Sales tracking (sale information)
• Powerful, flexible reports

OPEN SOURCE TECHNOLOGY

Another presentetion I have witnessed is all about an Open Source Tcechnology. The first time I was exposed to computer, the very first program I have used which satisfies me is the server Mozilla Firefox but by attending the COMDDAP conference, that was just the time that I have realize that the server I am using is one of the widely used open source technology.

Before the discussion about the said topic, the presenter throw a very simple question to his listeners... For your own understanding, what does an open source technology means?? Different answers were given by the listeners. Some says that an open source technology means "source code", some also says it's a "free browser or server", "another says it's a contributor to the client", the last person says it's a "no licensing"... Since all the answers were just an opinion, definitely all were considered as correct but as the discussion has continued to it's deeper meaning, the presenter states that "not all open source technology is -no licensing-" because some has its confidential matter.
During the forum, it was also discussed about Free Software and its different functions. Free Software can be classified as freedom zero, freedom one, freedom two, and freedom three. Freedom three is used to improve such program where all might benefit. Teh freedom two also means the copy of programs being used. And talking about the latter, pardon me for the I haven't list it down since it was dictated so fast.
Open software addressed to ambiguity of free software. It also improves the said software

The presenter also presents some open source technology knowing that some of this were really familiar and perhaps have used.
Who would not be familiar with Ubuntu. Taking back the memories when we were freshmen, a conference was also held at the University of Southeastern Philippines about how Ubuntu functions and discussed some of its function. They even give us a copy of files about their Technology. The next one is the Open Office. Do you know what Open Office means?? Then I pity you if you're not familiar with this ICEANS. The other one is the server which I often discussed at the upper part, the Mozilla Firefox. Next is Thunderbird, followed by the pidguin where the logo seems like a penguin, the GIMPshop, th Transmission, the VLC, th Limewire which is aften use as the music converter for those who were music addict, another is the LAMP, th eDrupal, the Joomla, the Wordpress, the ZenCart, the Ruby on Rails, and the PHP cake. Operating System ,as what the presenter said, is all a matter of semantics.
Open Source Technology also supports Large Communities such as "The Cathedral", and "The Bazaar".

Few Companies
• Lullabot.com
• Joomlapolis.com
• Joomla.org.ph
• Openwp.org

More Secured Open Source Technology
• ACM – increased security through open source
• LINUS’ law

Benefits
• Reliable
• Proven performance
• Highly scalable
• Widely used

As the conference is about to end, the NEXUS group together with its partners gave us a link of their site.
http://www.nexusgroup.com.ph/tng/downloads.php

Idea I have witnessed al the presentations of the day and it made me realized of everything. The presentation is so realistic and applicable to our daily performances especially in building a better life inthe future by the help of advanced technologies.What
Idea What's the best of being there is that we've learned a lot from an experinced businessmen and professionals.

If you do have time, you may also visit my site at: http://deshai08.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://deshai08.blogspot.com
mae m. mara

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:20 pm

COMDDAP Expo Davao was held at Grand Ballroom, Apo View Hotel, Davao City last July 2-4, 2009. It was a successful event. For more information you can visit their website: http://www.comddap.org/
The 2 sessions which I attended was ERIC DMS and the HP Thin Clients. My scheduled for that session was July 3. I spent July 2 watching the exhibit. I was amazed by the new technologies that were evolving. It was technically amazing. Due to my overwhelming I’m encourage to join the session earlier so I went to the room occupied by the session earlier than my scheduled time together with my buddies. Unfortunately as we went to the door of the room, there were 4 big masculine people entertained us. They asked where are we going that time and so we directly answered them that we want to attend the session, in returned we lied that July 2 was our scheduled time. Unfortunately, they didn’t let us pass because we are late for the session. Hoping that they pity us, we are waiting at the lobby. Time passes by; it was so tiring waiting for nothing so we went home.
July 3 came. We went there earlier after we located our designated company for MIS major paper. We attended ERIC DMS from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated and HP Thin Client. The following are the 2 sessions I attended.
1. ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System
The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-t-o-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services.
Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting.
With ERIC DMS, you can have full visibility over all operations.
Achieve total control over your car dealership business today!
• Schedule prospects for test drives and follow up on appointments
• Monitor and increase sales
• Delight customers with gentle reminders for appointments
• Manage vehicle inventory
• Deliver impeccable service
• Control parts & consumables cost
• Monitor and correctly implement warranty for parts & service
• Report your financial bottom line
ERIC Dealership Management System (DMS) A complete end-to-end solution for vehicle dealers, distributors, and service providers.
ERIC DMS is composed of three core modules to manage dealer Operations. These modules are:
• Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
• Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA)
• Service Management (SVM)
SOURCE: http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1

2. HP THIN CLIENT
What is a thin client?
Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.
Why should I consider a thin client solution?
You need to learn more about the HP thin client solution if your business is faced with issues such as:
• Desktop replacement costs
• Network security
• Data access to mobile or remote workers
• Supporting application software on diverse hardware, or
• Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure
Thin clients are ideal solution for today's healthcare, industrial, retail, financial and education industries offering a number of benefits to your business.
Enhanced security
Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged. Thin clients are an ideal choice for businesses that are facing increased regulatory compliance laws such as HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley.
Easier manageability
Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs, client desktops can be very simple single-application kiosks or a flexible and familiar Windows environment.
Thin clients can be set up out of the box in less than 10 minutes allowing easy deployment to new users or remote locations. HP thin clients can be remotely configured and managed via management software included at no extra charge.
High reliability
With thin client access devices, business continuity is a given in the event of a natural disaster, as the data and applications are not resident on the client device. Because of their solid state design, thin clients have an extended product life of up to 5 years and can be cost effectively replaced if needed.
Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor, under the desk or just about anywhere with the optional VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association)-compatible HP Quick Release.
Increased energy efficiency
Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops. This is realized not only in energy costs but reduced air-conditioning costs in some cases. With their long lifecycle thin clients allow companies to achieve energy savings targets and reduce the need for replacement equipment.
Lower total cost of ownership
The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings. According to a study by Gartner (TCO Comparison of PCs with Server-Based Computing, June 2006) thin client TCO annual savings have been measured as high as:
• 79% less downtime cost per user
• 16% capital cost savings
• 34% less in maintenance
• 19% less to operate
• 48% overall lower total cost
SOURCE: http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html

It’s a good thing I attended the session. There are also freebies that were given away to the audience especially to those audiences who listened very carefully from the lecturers. I learned many things from them. It was good that COMDDAP Davao was organized.
Arrow htt://maemara.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alma cabase

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:45 pm

The journey...

flower It was a very hot afternoon of July 2, 2009 when I and my classmates walked from our school, University of Southeastern Philippines down to the corner of Conpinco. We sat there to wait for our other classmates to come so that we can go together, can lessen the fare, and most especially, we don't have to walk under the hotness of the sun again.When our other classmates have arrived, there were already ten of us and just enough to "pakyaw" a jeep down to our real destination for that afternoon... COMDDAP

The searching..

Smile When I saw the Apo View Hotel where the COMDDAP was held, I felt excited. There are two main reasons why. First reason is, it was really my first time to enter the Apo View Hotel. Second is the knowledge that I can learn and get from that event. Before we were able to enter the hall, one of the personnel of the event gave us a student pass, and we I felt also a bit shy (char!) because there is a man who is also taking pictures of us at the same time.

The place was already when we went inside, and only us, Usepians are in our school uniform(gitan-aw pud mi gamai..hehe). And we are very proud of that. We started our searching from the first stall down to the last one. Every stall has different products or promotions. They are also giving leaflets and fliers about their product and the same us the visitors have also something to read and learn.

Through our searching, we also met some of our ex-classmates who transferred to other school and even just for a while, the happy memories flash back.

I learned a lot from the searching and window shopping that we did. There are lots of information also that I can get from the leaflets and fliers that I have. There was a stall there that sells motherboards and I was amazed because their products look very nice, cool, and most especially the power is very efficient. I was also amazed about the very big printer there, that was my first time seeing those huge thing in reality. There were also laptops that are free to use, and so we took the chance to try it and to scan things. There was also a stall there that are giving freebies like ball pens, sling, and many more. We were also taking pictures with some of the displays or the display alone. The searching was cool, fun, and particularly, very informative. Smile

The learning...

bounce The second session is supposed to start at one o'clock in the afternoon, but it started late because the first session started late also.

When the second session of the seminar started, the first topic is about the Jupiter Systems Inc. Mr. Celmer L. Santos discussed about the Dealer Management System (DMS). Dealer Management System is a 24 years old software company and a 100% Filipino owned that we can truly be proud of. It has also a hundred plus personnel and also one of the pioneer if Enterprise Resource Planning Systems in the Philippines. This Dealer Management System particularly deals about cars/vehicles. It hat a complete end-to-end solution for auto management, a vehicle management, back office operations and financial reporting. It also covers the Customer Relationship Management, Vehicle Sales and Administration, and the Service Management. The service management ha a lot of general features, these includes:

==> advance booking
==> operation maintenance
==> repair orders
==> repair estimates
==> customer service history
==> time-in/time-out
==> parts requisitioning and picking
==> service invoicing
==> warranty claims and processing
==> reports and queries

The Dealer Management System (DMS) is a very important and helpful information especially to those who are planning to buy a car. It can help them to ensure that their car are in good hands. It can secure them that they can have the right treatment for their vehicle.
bounce

flower Here comes the most exciting part of learning. The next topic is about the HP thin Client. But before he started the to discuss about the HP Thin Client, he told us that at the end of the topic they will be giving away flash drives and t-shirts. That is one of the reason why it is exciting.

Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.
With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.

Thin clients are ideal solution for today's healthcare, industrial, retail, financial and education industries offering a number of benefits to your business.

Enhanced security
Unlike a traditional desktop or notebook computer, no applications or data are stored locally on the thin client. This makes them easy to replace if lost, stolen or damaged. Thin clients are an ideal choice for businesses that are facing increased regulatory compliance laws such as HIPAA or Sarbanes-Oxley.

Easier manageability
Thin clients are managed at the server, located within the data center. The client hardware has fewer points of failure and lacks a hard drive for storage providing protection from viruses and malware. Thin clients connect to servers via web browsers or remote desktop software. Depending on the functionality the user needs, client desktops can be very simple single-application kiosks or a flexible and familiar Windows environment.
Thin clients can be set up out of the box in less than 10 minutes allowing easy deployment to new users or remote locations. HP thin clients can be remotely configured and managed via management software included at no extra charge.

High reliability
With thin client access devices, business continuity is a given in the event of a natural disaster, as the data and applications are not resident on the client device. Because of their solid state design, thin clients have an extended product life of up to 5 years and can be cost effectively replaced if needed.
Thin clients are ideal for environments unsuited for traditional desktop computers like dusty, remote or space-constrained environments. They can be mounted invisibly behind a flat panel monitor, under the desk or just about anywhere with the optional VESA (Video Electronics Standards Association)-compatible HP Quick Release.

Increased energy efficiency
Thin clients offer significant savings in power usage over traditional desktops. This is realized not only in energy costs but reduced air-conditioning costs in some cases. With their long lifecycle thin clients allow companies to achieve energy savings targets and reduce the need for replacement equipment.

Lower total cost of ownership
The increased security, reliability and ease of management contribute to a lower total cost of ownership for your client computing devices. With a longer useful lifespan, thin clients contribute to cost savings. According to a study by Gartner (TCO Comparison of PCs with Server-Based Computing, June 2006) thin client TCO annual savings have been measured as high as:

• 79% less downtime cost per user
• 16% capital cost savings
• 34% less in maintenance
• 19% less to operate
• 48% overall lower total cost

I really learned a lot from them and just bad luck for me because I was not able to get their freebies.I was also really amazed about its features and benefits because this kind of innovation will really help especially to the bigger establishments and in the corporate world. lol!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jerald jean pullos

PostSubject: COMMDAP   Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Our facilitator required us to attend seminar in the Apo View Hotel. It was COMMDAP, an exhibit of the dealers and distributors of computer devices and other gadgets, that was held last July2-4, 2009 at the Grand Ballroom, Apo Bayview Hotel, Davao City.

But before attending the seminar we have to undergo processes. Our facilitator instruct us to visit our forum , in his website and look for his instruction there. We found lot of comments posted there asking of what website we should register and suddenly our classmate post a clickable link in which you will automatically go to the nexus group filling up page for registration for their seminar, in this page there is also check boxes in which you will be going to chose in what session you like to attend. Since our facilitator posted that we get the PM session so, we click the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 sessions.

But when our facilitator met us two days before the seminar he told us that only two sessions our required for us to attend. So, we decided to attend the 1-2 and 2-3 session.

And then the time has come… whee! We together with our classmates were very excited because it was the first time that we will going to attend a seminar at the Apo View Hotel.

Before entering the grand Ballroom, we first go to the student registration booth in which the assigned staff gave us a sticker that serves as our ID to get into the hall. As expected, there were a lot of people there and booths of different company. We have first sightseeing to the products. And then we find the seminar room. Before entering the room, we first signed to the paper in which our name was printed and then we came into the room. Then the speaker also came in. oh my gosh! The speaker was quite cute hehehe… I thought only students will going to attend in the seminar but I was wrong because there are lot of company representatives are present during the seminar. We feel quite happy for attending seminars with businessmen and professionals.

The presentation of slide of the speaker has started. And it was all about the Dealer Management System

Sound interesting, a the speaker started to talk, huh? Was first come into my mind because It was actually all about a car dealership. I cant relate because car is not on my list of interest coz all I want is to ride a car. But still I listened and take notes for assignments purposes.

The DMS (Dealer management System) as the speaker said, “ is the complete and-to-end solution for auto dealers”. And this system helps them a lot for their sales and business transactions. The speaker introduces his self as a representative of the Jupiter Systems, Inc. from the main office in Luzon. Their company is said to be one of the pioneers in Enterprise resource planning system in the Philippines, some of the brands of cars their dealing are Mitsubishi, mazda, Volvo, Honda and Mercedes benz.

The DMS helps their company’s services to the clients and also for their operation in the company that includes the accounting, importation of products and other. It also helps in making financial reports. They also had modules in which it serves as their guidelines in managing the dealership.

They also had guidelines during pre-sales, and after sales which help them lot in dealing during this period of time, in which they undergo monitoring, in which the staff will monitor from the clients inquiry to the actual close of deal.

Second, the sales quotation processing, that presents the prize of the car and the details of its accessories.

Third, sales appointments, in which the clients sets appointments to the sales representative regarding the car he want to close deal with.

They also had vehicle sales administration, in which they sale brand new vehicles and even second hand vehicles. The VSA has the agreement processing that includes the reservation and deposit collection of the company, and pricing of the cars and how much Is the discount if the client will buy the vehicle in cash.

If they had pre-sales, of course they also had after-sales in which they present the parts and accessories of the car to the clients.

They also had service management, in which they offer maintenance of the car after sales.

It also includes the repair of the car and how much is the flat rate or the amount per hour of the services of their technician.

one of their good feature is that every services on repair has a limitation, so that the technician wouldn’t take advantage instead they work excellent and fast. In their Service management, also includes the warranty of the vehicle.

The second session, I’ve attended was also an interesting one because it is an endorsement of a portable CPU named thin client. This was endorsed by the second speaker, a representative from HP or Neoware,Inc. he introduced their product, he thin client, it is a computing device, that has no hard drive, and displays data and applications. The good thing about this thin client, that according to the speaker is that it is not dependent on servers.

It also has a high performance, in which you can easily be connected to the internet. And can browse easily to web application solutions. They also present the benefits you will get by choosing to use the HP products. Or the thin client to be specific.

First, it secures data because it has planted UPS (universal power saver) so you don’t need to buy UPS, so in case of black outs worry no more because you have enough time to save your work. And in case problems about viruses occur, the files you have in your computer will be secured because it was deep frozen in which the viruses will automatically erased if you turn of your computers.

Another advantage is that it is environment friendly, it can easily be managed because of portability and it is not time consuming because it was thin and of course you can have it at lower price. Because of its features and benefits many schools and universities, and business and government offices are using the thin client. After the presentation of all the features of the thin client, there was a question and answer portion in which the speaker gives a souvenir to the person who can answer to the question given.

Back to top Go down
View user profile http://jeraldjeanpullos.blogspot.com
sharlyn joy pines

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:18 pm

A GLIMPSE at COMDDAP...

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009

COMDDAP stands for: Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines

What is COMDDAP all about?

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.

http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

The Seminar...

July 02, 2009 marks the two-day exhibit visit of the IT sectors at the Apo View Hotel here in Davao. And as an IT student, we are told to attend the seminars conducted by the Nexus Group as what I have seen on the screen.
The exhibit composed of different technology products such as latest phenomenal gadgets, computer stuffs and different kind of technology. Anyway, I haven’t spent much time on roaming around to examine those displayed things but I have attended seminar on four different topics.

Here are the interesting topics that we were able to attend:

Like a Star @ heaven Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERIC-DMS)
Like a Star @ heaven Brilliant Dealer Management System
Like a Star @ heaven HP Thin Client
Like a Star @ heaven Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System
Like a Star @ heaven Open Source for Business Applications

1. ERIC-DMS

Presented by Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated. He talked much on Brilliant Dealer Management System that widely used by Car Businesses. Anyway, Jupiter Systems, Inc. is a 24- year old software company and one of the members of the ERP systems of the Philippines. Their clients include Mitsubishi, Honda, Mazda, Volvo, and Nissan. Their Database Management Systems flow starts with the pre-sales, then vehicle sales and last is the after sales.

The Jupiter Systems’ has also Service Management General Features which are the following:

Like a Star @ heaven Advance bookings or Customer appointments
Like a Star @ heaven Operation maintenance or FLAT rates
Like a Star @ heaven Repair orders
Like a Star @ heaven Repair Estimates
Like a Star @ heaven Customer Service History
Like a Star @ heaven Technician Time-in or Time-out
Like a Star @ heaven Parts requisitioning and picking
Like a Star @ heaven Service invoicing
Like a Star @ heaven Warranty claims and processing
Like a Star @ heaven Field Service Actions (Campaigns)

2.HP Company

(The Thin Client)

Presented by Leonard Zapa, Market Deveopment Manager of HP Company. He started with talking about Linux, CE, and XPe.

He also mentioned the following topics:

Like a Star @ heaven Data security, reliability
Like a Star @ heaven Management
Like a Star @ heaven Remote PC alternatives
Like a Star @ heaven Virtualization
Like a Star @ heaven Lower TCO
Like a Star @ heaven Broadband and related

(Challenge for IT Professionals)

Like a Star @ heaven Provide information security
Like a Star @ heaven Deployment and maintenance
Like a Star @ heaven Total cost of ownership (TCO)

He also introduced the widely used HP Thin Client. This is a computing device without a hard drive and can be used independently.

Here some of its features:

Like a Star @ heaven Enhanced security
Like a Star @ heaven Easy manageability
Like a Star @ heaven High reliability
Like a Star @ heaven Environment – friendly
Like a Star @ heaven Lower overall costs

Also he sites its advantages over the usual PC power system:

Like a Star @ heaven Hardened embedded OS
Like a Star @ heaven Free Management Tools
Like a Star @ heaven ¼ failure rate, 10x higher MTBF
Like a Star @ heaven 10x higher MTBF
Like a Star @ heaven Longer life
Like a Star @ heaven ONSITE, Whole unit replacement
Like a Star @ heaven Up to 80% lower power
Like a Star @ heaven Space saving
Like a Star @ heaven Reduced (by 75%) foam and board (by 40%) packaging
Like a Star @ heaven Minimal heat
Like a Star @ heaven Lower initial hardware

Well I guess, the audience are more alive when the discussions was about to end. Why not? The speaker had given tokens for those who can answer their questions. 2-Gig Flash drives, t-shirts and the most exciting is the last token which is an 8-Gig USB. Wow! Usepians got most of the token.

3. Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System

I could remember that the speaker had mentioned that one of the clients of this system is Petron.

RMS Key Features:

Like a Star @ heaven Inventory control and tracking
Like a Star @ heaven Purchase orders. Pricing, sales, and promotions
Like a Star @ heaven Sales Tracking
Like a Star @ heaven Powerful, flexible reports

Key Benefits:

Like a Star @ heaven Streamline operations
Like a Star @ heaven Improve profit margins
Like a Star @ heaven Build customer loyalty
Like a Star @ heaven Manage business, not technology
Like a Star @ heaven Have a life outside your business

4.Open Source for Business Applications of the Spinweb Productions, Incorporated

The speaker asked the audience particularly those who are employed of their definition about Open source. Some shared the following understanding: source code, free, open, contributor, no license, etc.

As the discussions go deeper, it was cleared that Open Source has license but only that it is free. Unlike any other proprietary software you have to pay the licenses that are obviously expensive.

Also the speaker talks about the benefits of using Open Source over Proprietary soft wares applications.

Like a Star @ heaven Reliable
Like a Star @ heaven widely used
Like a Star @ heaven highly scalable
Like a Star @ heaven proven performance

Some of the sites that were given are:

l⭐ ullabot.com
Like a Star @ heaven joomlapolis.com
Like a Star @ heaven joomla.org.ph
Like a Star @ heaven openwp.org.

Some of Open Source Software:

Like a Star @ heaven Ubuntu
Like a Star @ heaven GIMP
Like a Star @ heaven Open office
Like a Star @ heaven PHP
Like a Star @ heaven OS commerce
Like a Star @ heaven MySql
Like a Star @ heaven Mozilla
Like a Star @ heaven Drupal

WHY we have to use Open Source Software?
• No vendor Locking
• Large Support
• More Secure

Here are the snap shots....

Evaluation:

Well obviously, it’s another experience that would add up our learning. Seeing different kinds of new technology trends, and experiencing to know more about it must be another thing. As an IT student and a future IT professional, it is an opportunity to expose ourselves in the current trends of the growing technology. It is a challenge for us to be more aware of the world that we are going to travel in the near future. The fast changing IT environment challenged us to go deeper in our chosen field. Also, it was so nice to meet those people who shares their experiences and who promote their respective career. And before I forgot, I was stuck with the conversation, I mean when (Jaime?) intervene the discussions and talks the automated election issue. He shares that the said electoral reform with regards to software’s do not guarantee best performance yet when talks about software, he suggested that many things have to be considered before choosing either open source or proprietary.

THE END…

please do visit my BLOG: http://www.sharlynjoypines.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Russel John Serrano

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 HRM   Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:51 pm

Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines (COMDDAP)

About COMDDAP

THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE
COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

Since then, COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and bannered by these specific objectives:
Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

COMDDAP counts among its achievements the holding of the Annual COMDDAP exhibit, more popularly known as the COMDDAP EXPO, which has become a consistent crowd drawer and has in itself set new records in terms of the quality of exhibit area, exhibitors, visitors, and venues. In fact, COMDDAP EXPO in 1999 marked the first exhibit to have adapted an upgraded booth shell schemes

The annual COMDDAP endeavor encourages its participants to launch their products and services, as well as hold seminars with a variety of topics in the areas of technology, trends, applications, and information management.

COMDDAP's biggest leap was being able to cross boarders or go regional by bringing the exposition down south in Cebu and Davao City, and to even greater heights in the cities of Baguio and Naga, and most recently, in Iloilo City.

Apart from its exhibits, the organization holds COMDDAP Leaning Center Project and Training the Trainors program. This is part of the civic and social responsibility programs that the association has vowed to pursue. The project provides public high school students and public school teachers the opportunity to learn basic computer theories, get hands-on experience, and become familiar with computers.

COMDDAP is likewise involved with the Media-Citizens Quick Count (MCQC) operations in response to the call of national interest. The bulk of equipment and technical support for this endeavor were provided for by the member-companies.

COMDDAP has also pledged to protect its members in addressing the growing issue of software piracy, a practice that has affected and stunted the growth of the local software industry, as well as the countrys trade relations with other countries .In pushing this, COMDDAP has expressed its full support in the local manufacturing of DOS at an affordable price and with after-sales support, as well as launching a massive educational campaign.

Indeed, COMDDAP has gone a long way from a mere assemblage of premier IT companies and enthusiasts. With the support and enthusiasm of its member-companies, COMDDAP expects and looks forward to accomplishing more worthwhile projects in the future as COMDDAP is committed to the stable growth of the Philippine computer industry.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

June 2 COMDDAP Expo @ APO VIEW

Experience:

w3w, at first i will share my experience @ the time when we are going to APO VIEW-COMDDAP Expo...... [ Sad Shocked Surprised ] this are the feelings we felt when we are traveling.... w3w as a FRESHMEN in Davao City clown me, nick and van walking in a lonely road while searching where is the exact place or location of APO VIEW is, almost 45mins searching for APO VIEW.... our legs starting to have [BARECOS na] Sad but we have a lot of experience while walking and we see a lot of buildings that could help us in FUTURE, a company that could we use in conducting studies in MIS 1 and HRM.....

after 45mins walking w3w at last we found the APO VIEW....... and the location where the COMDDAP is, we see a lot of technology that new to our naked eyes..... a lot of gadget, a high tech gadget that we can use in near future [maybe]... h lol!

we found now the APO VIEW and the COMDDAP area, the problem is to find the exact location of seminar... cheers thanks god and thanks to the GUARD we found the seminar area Very Happy he told us where the session is...

when we are their the session is already started we are late even though i register my session in second day of the expo but i still went to the area... i can't wait i so exited to know what COMDDAP is and the importance of it.....

we registered our own and together with my friends nick and van in the session even though the room is already full, we still Wink STANDING OVATION....

Learnings....... study

DATABASE SYSTEM [Nexus Group] - they presented on how database done and how they implemented it, they are also shared the importance of database system, how could we use it, and how could we learn for it..... for us as a IT student and as a certified USEPian Student... we learn a lot what database sytem is, and how database system rule Information Technology and Information System... it means a lot of us...

THIN CLIENT [HP] - it is a Computing device and we can consider it as one part or way of "GREEN COMPUTING" Thin Client has a lot of features just like CPU but Thin Client have a lot of features and works in terms in security, standard desktop, lifespan, less power, virus, scanning, patches and many many application w3w Shocked from the word THIN the first thing comes in my mind is [SLIM, SMALL DIAMETER] Thin Client is a small device one part of advantage... in our generation the smaller, the brighter Very Happy .... this kind of device if our UNIVERSITY will adopt i think it help a lot of us.... Thin Client easy to use and manage[dali ra and walay libog], environmental friendly [d nag pro produce ng init or d nakakasama] & much lower the over all costs [mahal sha pero kong e compare ang lifespan and costs in energy much maka save ka compare to other devices... other device lifespan is only 2 - 3 years but compare to THIN CLIENT [6 years] just like what LEONARD SAPA or ZAPA?? ZAPA am i right?? never mind Very Happy i'm not good in copying scratch

My Last Word:

[I already got it all... but I'm still looking for more...] tongue

Learn study Learn study Learn study Learn study Learn study

+GODBLESS+
Back to top Go down
View user profile
joverly gonzales

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:32 pm

COMDDAP REFLECTIONS/LEARININGS
Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines (Comddap)

EXPERIENING THE COMDDAP SEMINARS AND EXHIBIT

GOING to the venue:

We are going to APO VIEW HOTEL at 1:00 pm. As we go there we are very excited for the things that we want to experience. We have a lot of expectation on what we saw on that day. We expect for more hi-technology.

ARRIVAL:

As we arrived, they had a booth for the students who are participated for the said event. And also they had a booth for none students who attended the COMDDAP seminars and exhibit. There are also in charge for the counting of the participant of that day. The facilitator gives as a sticker. Those the said sticker is our identification that we are a students.

EXHIBIT:

As we come in to the exhibit area, there are lots of technologies that we saw. There are so many to be mentioned. Aside from the hi-technologies, some of the companies including smart gives freebies who fill-up there computerized form. I don’t know for what those form is, because we haven’t fill-up those one for the line is so long. They also give fliers for the promotion of there product. The Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines (Comddap) has gathered over 20 technology companies: Exhibitor companies include Astech Pengson Distributors, Inc., ATP Peripherals/Achieva, Axis Global Technologies, Inc., Brother International Phils., Corp., Canon Marketing Philippines, Inc., Chase Technologies Corporation, Epson Philippines Corp., Hitachi-Glee Electronics, MDR Microware Sales, MSI-ECS Philippines, Inc., Microwarehouse, Inc., Millennium Computer Technologies Corp., Neo-Glee Electronics, PLDTmyDSL, RASI Computers, Inc., Redwood Ventures, Sanyo Philippines, Inc., Trinity Marketing, Inc., and Wordtext Systems, Inc.
The participating companies was offered visitors special rates, trade-in promotions and bundled deals on desktops and peripherals, network equipment, multimedia projectors and accessories, office automation equipment, digital video and film cameras, imaging tools, papers and chemicals, servers, printers, scanners, plasma monitors, audio systems, broadband equipment and other related gadgets. The participating companies also was gives a discounted price for there costumers who brought there products during the COMDDAP event. Example for this is CANON, they are loads of freebies, promos, and discounts await Canon customers at the said events.

SEMINARS:

When we are tired, we decided join a seminars in the function area. We attended three (3) kinds of topics.

Here are the interesting topics that we were able to attend:

Arrow Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERIC-DMS)

[justify] Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated was the speaker of ERIC-DMS. He talked about the Brilliant Dealer Management System that widely used by Car Businesses. Anyway, Jupiter Systems, Inc. is a 24- year old software company and one of the members of the ERP systems of the Philippines. Their clients include Mitsubishi, Honda, Mazda, Volvo, and Nissan. Their Database Management Systems flow starts with the pre-sales, then vehicle sales and last is the after sales.

The Jupiter Systems’ has also Service Management General Features which are the following:

flower Advance bookings or Customer appointments
flower Operation maintenance or FLAT rates
flower Repair orders
flower Repair Estimates
flower Customer Service History
flower Technician Time-in or Time-out
flower Parts requisitioning and picking
flower Service invoicing
flower Warranty claims and processing
flower Field Service Actions (Campaigns)

Arrow The HP Company

Mr. Leonard Zapa, Market Deveopment Manager of HP Company is there speaker. He started with talking about Linux, CE, and XPe.

He also mentioned the following topics about Data security, reliability, Management, Remote PC alternatives, Virtualization, Lower TCO, Broadband and related.

He also introduced the widely used HP Thin Client. This is a computing device without a hard drive and can be used independently.

With its some features;

flower Enhanced security
flower Easy manageability
flower High reliability
flower Environment – friendly
flower Lower overall costs

At the end of the discussion, the participant of this seminar becomes more alive because the HP COMPANY gives some tokens. They have a question related to there topics and those who first answer there question can have a USD, some are T-SHIRT, the other is Optical MOUSE, or they’ve got two tokens.

Arrow Open Source for Business Applications

Open Source topic is one of the topics that I liked most. The speaker asked the audience of what is their definition about Open source. Some shared the following understanding: source code, free, open, contributor, no license, etc. There is a person besides us who really participate for the said topics. He is an IT Professional here in Davao.
The speaker gives us some of the Open Source Website. Some of those are joomlapolis.com, joomla.org.ph, and openwp.org. There are also an Open Source Software. One of those is PHP.

We have lots of learning in this topic. The speaker tells us about the benefits of an Open Source. He said Open source is reliable widely used, highly scalable and proven performance. But along the discussion there are person who come in to the discussion that makes us listen more attentively. It’s just like he contradicts the open source. He said that we need to examine the reliability level of a software.And I never forget his last sentence. He said, “Open source- have it today but pay later while proprietary software- pay it today and we have the full help later.”

http://jags-in-love.blogspot.com/2009/10/comdapp.html

Last edited by joverly gonzales on Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mayraflordurango

PostSubject: COMDDAP REFLECTION   Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:43 pm

HRM- COMDDAP SEMINAR Reflection

REFLECTION: COMDDAP SEMINAR

The day dated July 2, 2009 at exactly 1:00 pm of the very hot and stinky afternoon. IC students taking
a subject, Management Information System had given a task to attend and be a big part of the COMDDAP
Seminar at the Apo view Hotel.

Before, i was keep wondering why our facilitator had given this task for us IT/IS students as a part of our subject requirement.
Since then, as i enter the my first step in the COMDDAP Seminar, I saw many companies that had been given some promotions and tokens to get some intension
Among the students and other visitors. At every corner you can see some hardware and software companies that had also interesting suitable applications.

At exactly 2pm, we had proceeded for the next session which is the companies’ presentation of its business application and services that also had management system applied.

The first company that had shared some important discussions and orientations is the JUPITER SYSTEM, INC. facilitated by Mr. Celmer L. Santos as the company representative.

During the time of discussion, even though at the middle part it’s been a quite boring, still I can see the very high lightened means of the discussion that acquires impartment specially among us students taking a course of Bachelor of Science in Information Technology.

In looking forward to and to understand deeply about the useful application of Management Information System in many companies’ services, its major significance is to remind us that application of the IT/IS systems are very useful in their business. Especially in dealing with business transactions, manipulation and data security.

In addition, Mr. Santos had discussed also about the type of management system their company had been applied in the wide distribution of the products and merchandising. This type of system is commonly known as Enterprise Resource Information and Control Dealer Management (ERIC), in which this type of system is being use in their sales, productions and provides end-to-end shipments for auto dealers.

The next company presenter is the HP Philippines with its theme:
“Think big; Go thin, HP Thin Clients”.

HP Philippines, had also present to us the key growth Drivers of there IS applications.
*Secure data security and reliability
*Easier Management
*PC alternatives
*Virtualization
*Lower TCO
*Broadband and related compression technologies.

Furthermore, they had also introduce their newly produce product, which is the so called “Thin Client”.

Thin Client is a type of computing device without a hardware which display data and applications from remotely located servers and can be use independently as a task specific computing device with a minimal set of applications.

In the midst of discussion. They had also presented the challenges for the IT professionals and this are the following:
*Provide Information Security
- In the field of hardware and software security.
*Deployment and Maintenance
-data accuracy and reliability

By this experiences and new comprehensions, I’d realize what are the main purposes of our facilitator in giving this kind of task. It imparts me as an IT student, that Management Information System as one our major subjects, can’t also be learn in the four corners of the classroom. But to be physically and intellectually engaged in the actual and outside applications of the MIS in many companies and even among small business. The day of many irritable and stressful situations yet provide an exemplary orientations and new informations not just to the businessmans but more important for us students. Their valuable orientation provides various livelihood technologies that lead beneficiaries to live good life.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emilio jopia jr.

PostSubject: COMMDAP 2009   Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:51 pm

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections

About COMDDAP…

(Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines) COMDDAP held
an Expo last June 2-4, 2009 at The Apo View Hotel, Davao City

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective
is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry
through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to
provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government,
and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines
fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers
Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's
leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

The Expo...

We went to the Apo View Hotel to witness an exhibit on different technology products and to attend
a seminar on different organizations

It is a three day expo (July 2-4, 2009) that showcases Information Technology (IT). In the hall, are
numbers of companies were there to display their products in their respective booths. This event is not
just a display of best and latest products offered by different businessmen that recognizes Information
Technology as a need in fulfilling the full length of their business’ offers.

Seminars…

We attended 3 different seminars, the first seminar we attended is the ERIC DMS -
Dealer Management System which is under the Jupiter Systems which is a Philippine based
IT Services company dedicated to delivering solutions for medium to large companies. We offer
services covering the entire range of business activities- from marketing and promotion,
procurement/supply chain management, manufacturing, distribution, financial reporting,
business intelligence, and even IT infrastructure security and maintenance.

The ERIC Dealer Management System is an end-to-end software for automotive sales parts,
and service businesses. It covers full range of dealer activities from Customer prospecting and
vehicle services. It also has many features and services need for car dealers.

With ERIC DMS, you can have full visibility over all operations like:
• Schedule prospects for test drives and follow up on appointments
• Monitor and increase sales
• Delight customers with gentle reminders for appointments
• Manage vehicle inventory
• Deliver impeccable service
• Control parts & consumables cost
• Monitor and correctly implement warranty for parts & service
• Report your financial bottom line

The second seminar we attended is about the HP Thin Client which is presented by the
Nexus Technologies. As far as I know, HP Thin Client A thin is an end to end solution widely used
by most of the biggest company all over the world. Compared to the Central Processing Unit, HP
THIN client is more secure especially in times when there is an error being encountered. HP THIN client
reboot to remove virus since it has a deep freeze solution an scan auto- save files even without memory.

A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in
client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central serverfat client does as
much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server for
processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the
remote server. A thin client, sometimes called a lean client, is a low-cost, centrally-managed computer
devoid of CD-ROM players, diskette drives, and expansion slots. The term derives from the fact that
small computers in networks tend to be clients and not servers.

The HP thin Client has the following advantages like enhance security, easy manageability, environment
friendly and lower over-all cost.

The last seminar we attended was the Open Source for Business Application which tackled
about open source, open source softwares and open source for business applications.
They also discussed about the issue concerning Open Source Technology and Proprietary Softwares.

All I can say is that COMDDAP 2009 is indeed a great experience!

References:
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/edms.aspx
http://www.hp.com/canada/corporate/hp_info/aboutus.html
Back to top Go down
View user profile
rowell_pines

PostSubject: COMMDAP LEARNINGS   Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:49 am

That expo done by the COMDDAP, realy amaze my curiosity. It is because it is my first time to atend such social exhibit of computer equipments and to look beyond on the computer trends.

Actually, we are late on the venue, for we arrived at around 2.30, we find it hard, on what exactly is the right route going to APO view hotel. That might because, we are not so familiar here in DAVAO. And so, we ride on a jeep, resulting for it to drop us, a little bit far from the site. It took a 25 mins. for us to walk, and to find the venue. Even though the hotel is huge, suddenly we over pass it on the way. But finally, we found it, with almost a cup of sweat loss in our body! We directly entered the entrance door on the expo. which is a wrong move. Then, we take a sticker, for student booth visitor, and go in solemnly. We cant find our classmate during that time, for the seminar surely started already. So, we search for it, then we found it at a narrow door, behind the expo! Even, were late, we luckily entertained and go inside the seminar room, then we listen on the speaker, discussing about a new product which is THIN CLIENT. The presentation is great, but it was so professional, that makes us guess sleepy (BORING). But what exite us most, is at the last part, which is the question and answer portion, with a prizeof giveaways. We try our best, to compete with other's for the prize, but i guess there faces are much thicker than us. And so we go home with nothing.

The exhibit on the floor, after the seminar, is very fun. We touch ipod, introduce new gadgets and laptops and even surf a littlebit as well. The personnels are humble and fun, they always relate there explanation on the time that there are still students like us. We talk about "bulakbol" through computer games, like red alert and starcraft, some kind of old games that are very popular. That they achieved there position right now, by believing in there self and unstoppable determination. One slerk says, he really even hate computer way back then, but now, he isone of the distributor of this machine.

Learnings:

Ive learned that, computers, really depend its life span on how fast technology trends rises. And the new product of HP which is the THIN CLIENT, really impress me for these reasons:

* it so practical
* portable
* simplicity
* elegance
* multi tasking is a piece of cake.

Although it cost a little bit high, but as what as the speaker explains, the life span of the unit, really bent for almost 6 years, compared to an ordinary which is 3 years. COMDDAP really is a memory for us to treasure, and a learnings to norture, i hope one day, i can manage my own company, and be a competetor of their company!.

tnx!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://vanthegreat.blogspot.com
Joan Rose P. Dandoy

PostSubject: COMDDAP Learnings   Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Last July 2-4, 2009, the Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or basically called COMDDAP had conducted an exhibit at the Apo View Hotel, Davao City. The said event was open to public and has free admission.

Actually, by the first time I saw the tarpaulin outside the Hotel of Apo View about this COMDDAP event, I don’t have the idea on what it was all about. I did not even give care to read more about this on the tarpaulin being displayed. Until, our facilitator in Management Information System subject had instructed us to attend the one of a kind happening that by chance had conducted free seminars with the latest innovation in the market.

We were advised to registered online for us be able to attend the free seminar that will be administered by the NEXUS Group. A link was provided for our benefit and ease of registration. The registration took only 2-3 minutes to accomplish. When I was registering to the site of the NEXUS Group, I was attracted to the seminar they are offering because it was very parallel in our field of study. I decided to take the entire seminar they are offering for me to update and to gain knowledge on the latest technology on the market.

Honestly, it was my first time to participate in that kind of exhibit, thanks to our facilitator for instructing us to attend that said event.

July 2, 2009 was the date of our visit in the event. Accompanied by my classmate on the same subject, we enjoyed watching the latest technology being displayed. After taking the sticker outside the function room of the hotel for recognition, we hurriedly went inside to see what was going to stun us. As I went in the room, it was like a magical store to me way back to my childhood because of the gadgets that attracted me. Latest cameras were displayed in the corners. Laptops were on the other side. Internet service providers were attracting people by giving freebies. LCD monitors are tangling the eyes because of its fine display.

As far as I could remember, the crowd was mostly occupied by students which I think the course of study is related in either Information Technology or Computer Science from different schools. There was also a number of professional, I think, who watched the exhibit. The people participated in the free demos and free testing of their product. Of course, we, the USEPians, won’t let ourselves be left behind in doing the same thing as the people are performing.

After taking our time exploring flaunt of technology, we went to our main reason of going to the hotel, the free seminar of the NEXUS Group. The demonstrations were located at the back of the function room. Due to the small capacity of room for demonstration, the sits are limited.

It was already pass 1:00 pm when we reach the room. The demonstration about the ERIC Dealer Management System had started. The said demonstration was handled by the Jupiter Systems, Inc of the Nexus Group.
The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-to-end software solution for the automotive dealer operation. ERIC DMS’s range of solutions covers Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA), and Service Management (SVM). It is also supported by a robust back-end system on the parts and supplies inventory, over the counter sales, purchasing and requisite financial modules for financial accounting and reporting. It shows how the implementation of ERIC DMS could help in dealership to have a full visibility of over-all operations.

The presentation ended by 2:10 pm then another presenter had come to change the stage. The next presenter showed us a technology that I had encountered for the first time – the HP thin client.

The thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. It is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In a thin client/server system, the only software that is installed on the thin client is the user interface, certain frequently used applications, and a networked operating system. This software can be loaded from a local drive, the server at boot, or as needed. By simplifying the load on the thin client, it can be a very small, low-powered device giving lower costs to purchase and to operate per seat. The server, or a cluster of servers, has the full weight of all the applications, services, and data. By keeping a few servers busy and many thin clients lightly loaded, users can expect easier system management and lower costs, as well as all the advantages of networked computing: central storage/backup and easier security.
Moreover, the demonstration had captured our attention because of its prepared prizes for a surprise question. If I were right, all ears had been given to the demonstrator just to win the prizes for the certain questions. Overall, the participants of the HP thin client demonstration had fun while gaining information because of the Answer my Questions portion.
Next presenter had tackled about the Retail Management System Overview. They are trying to show how to remedy the existing dilemma of enterprises through their product.

According to the presenter, the Philippine retail industry continues to thrive despite the global financial crisis. Retailers challenged with multi-branch servicing cost need a scalable solution to bring sales to its branches, promote interbrand stock sharing and send sales information to the head office seamlessly. They wanted to show how to have enterprise-class tools to analyze data a fraction of the cost. The need for timely business information will help to improve the bottomline, restore order to multi-branch stores and meet geographical challenges.

After the presentation of the Retail Management System Overview, Open Source for Business Applications followed.

To them, as companies cut IT spending by up to 10 percent, its income generating prospects need not suffer. Open Source development of business applications has proven to lower acquisition costs, and decrease vendor lock-in reliance and obsolescence rate so that even commercial software giants have acknowledged the rise of this technology by allowing interoperability. They aim us to discover how the use of Internet-based Open Source platforms is a viable alternative for developing systems such as corporate, e-commerce, CRM, employment, publishing and collaborative sites.

After giving the whole content about Open Source, their came a discussion about which is reliable software to be used in the election system on 2010. Two parties, Open Source developer and the Commercial software developer, are showing their sides and opinions about which should be used. While in the heat of discussion, one party decided to stop the discussion since they are running out of time and what they are opposing is will always depend on the result of the election on 2010.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   

Back to top Go down

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2