USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm)

Go down 
+53
Anthony Rigor Aguilar
John Cesar E. Manlangit
Ma.AnnKristineTomada
Michelle Adlawan
Jan Neil Enanoria Gador
JerusalemAlvaira
Michael George Guanzon
kristine_delatorre
Alfredo V. Ala-an
aeros salaga
John Paul Pulido
Fritzielaine A. Barcena
alma cabase
felix a. sumalinog jr.
jojimie
Sheila Capacillo
jerald jean pullos
creza_jill_bulacito
janraysuriba
Gleizelle Jen Dieparine
shane sacramento
AlyssaRae Soriano
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo
brian c. namuag
neil rey c. niere
Karen Palero
carla comoda
Chris Romarate
florenzie_palma
Shiela Marie P. Nara
Tanya Clarissa G. Amancio
Franz Cie B. Suico
Maria Theresa F. Rulete
Joseph Ethel Valdez
Ariel Serenado
Stihl Lhyn Samonte
athina alorro
ailaine adaptar
charmaine_dayanan
kate karen rasonable
emilio jopia jr.
sharlyn joy pines
Marren Pequiro
rosemie nunez
Dolorosa G. Mancera
Roy Cuevas
Jethro Alburo Querubin
joverly gonzales
♥ilyn_mapalo♥
IK
vanessa may caneda
Jezreel Jyl P. Hilado
eyesee
57 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Michelle Adlawan

Michelle Adlawan

Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm) - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm)   Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm) - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 09, 2010 11:34 am

A company to improve and grow for its progress, one should be able to apply strategic planning during its business operations. Moreover, acquiring information system in a business contributes a lot of risks involved thus a need to be more careful in maneuvering business affairs. Information system, however, is a system that composes of hardware and software application, document and training materials, controls job roles and people that use the software application (Hoffer, George, & Valacich, 1996). It collects, processes, stores, analyzes, and disseminates information for a specific purpose which uses technology to process the inputs. Strategy, on the other hand, is a carefully devised plan of action to achieve a goal, or the art of developing or carrying out such a plan. And combining the two creates a process of aligning an organization’s strategy with computer-based information systems to achieve critical business objectives.

The organization is established to do business. And for business to grow, it has to aim for success. Success can only be accomplished if there is a concrete game plan which is to be followed so to make things organize and keep them on the right path. A firm plans to obtain resources – the financial, facilities, and staff of the company. These things are essential to run a business. Secondly, an organization plans to align information systems (IS) with business. We may have business targets that are to achieve, and because the IS of the company is considered as the heart of business, it shall be fueled making its goals in one with the overall goals of the company as what we see it from the general business aspect. Thirdly, we plan to identify needed applications. Fourthly, plans are made to establish goals, schedules, and milestones in order to track progress (which could be the very point why I am called in to develop a plan). Finally, we plan to provide an opportunity for communication with top management and user management. I would like to emphasize here, since the company officers invited me to discuss with them the direction of the company, planning is somewhat diverse than plain forecasting, or calculating what is likely to happen in the future of the business. Yes, forecasting is predicting the future, but planning is being prepared for that future. And this is the rationale of the task.

Strategic Information System Planning as for any other system do begin with the identification of the needs- whether needs of the organization or need of the system itself. To be more efficient and effective, development of any type of computer-based system should be a response to need--whether at the transaction processing level or at the more complex information and support systems levels. The mentioned planning for information systems is much akin to strategic planning in management. Note that objectives, priorities, and authorization for information systems projects need to be formalized. The systems development plan should identify specific projects slated for the future, priorities for each project and for resources, general procedures, and constraints for each application area. Furthermore, the strategic plan must be precise enough to make possible the understanding of each application and to know where it stands in the order of development. Also, it should be flexible so that priorities can be adjusted if necessary in some cases. I am also referring to the need for continuously updating and improving IS architecture.

Considering I was hired and have been tasked to develop a strategic information systems plan for a company and asked to provide a list of questions with some explanation about the "why" of the question (so they can be prepared, thus maximizing the output from this meeting), I will be asking mostly on the aspects that would effectively help in developing the company’s growth. Basically, the following are the questions that I would most likely ask the company officers:

• What is the vision of the company?
– Knowing on what your company would be in future’s time will become a motivation for the company to strive harder in achieving that vision. Aligning the company to a task of purpose for its client will assist the company to be better in anything they attained to do.
  • •What is the company’s mission statement?
– The mission statement are the detailed services that the company’s officers responsible for. However, it is not the company’s supposed to achieve but rather who are the people in the company and what they ought to do in the organization.
  • •What is the company’s environment since it is engaged in information technology?
– The company should be able to distinguish their environment or area where the information system should be situated. In handling this, the company should be able to know the capabilities of its IT department, the readiness of the company to use information technology, the status of the company’s customers, industry, economy, government regulations, environment and society. This is somewhat helpful in gaining beneficial facts in regulating the standard deficiency of the company in maneuvering its business.
  • •What is the scope of the company’s purpose?
– Distinguishing on what is the scope of the company will automatically help in providing the organization to know its limitations in dealing with its business. This facilitate in specifying the priorities of the company thus recognizing what to do first and what to do last in the company’s business transactions.
  • •What are the goals of the company?
– The company should recognize its attainable goals where they consider being helpful in becoming more of the vision they stated. These goals are target areas of their mission which should be anticipated as achievable and if achieved, is a successful attempt in improving the company.
  • •What are your objectives in achieving the company’s goal?
¬– The objectives of the company should be aligned in the designed goals of the company. These are the empirical ways of the company in attaining its particular goal which should be specific and measurable. These assist the company in slowly achieving its goal by identifying its objective.
  • •Do you know you competitive advantage? What is it?
– Being able to recognize the company’s competitive advantage provides a distinct attraction to the company’s clients and superiority over its competitors. This competitive advantage is the company’s competencies, capabilities and resources.
  • •What are the company’s strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats?
– The company should be conducted a SWOT analysis in order to identify its strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. This will help in recognizing what are the strong point of the company that could be an asset for the company and the weakness of the company that could be avoided. Moreover, this could also help in classifying the opportunities and chances of the company in the industry that will eventually become a beneficial factor in the company’s growth.
  • •What are the main operations of the company?
– It will assess the effectiveness of information services, also to know the functional operations to assess the present operations and evaluate the competitiveness of the operation. It would also help to describe the present and planned application characteristics, architecture, and capacity. It would determine the planning issues and determine the project scope to organize the project team and obtain management commitment. It also helps analyze IT trends to determine information needs. It defines the business in terms of what you do for your customer or your company.
  • •Does your company use Modeling techniques to facilitate IT planning? Why?
– In a Strategic planning, it is important to create a reference model and methodologies because it captures and characterize the enterprise which shortens the response cycle form Information Systems employment and deployment. This is in order to achieve competitiveness among other companies. It also establishes the relationship between the overall organizational plan and the IT plan.
  • •What are the principles and values does your company have been using? Why is it necessary?
– It is very important for an organization to be guided with a standard set of values and belief in order for their company to follow certain viewpoint in life that could be use for the success of the company. They provide an underlying structure for the decision making of the company which later on is a part of the organization’s culture. These values and beliefs should be applicable to the entire organization for them to understand each other within the organization. Values may be appropriate for the sake of the management, for the quality of service and for the customer’s exceptional treatment.
  • •Does your company develop an Action Plan? Why?
– An action plan is an immediate stroke from the organizations goals and objectives. It is very important for a strategic planning to identify the explicit steps that should be followed to achieve the initiatives and strategic objectives for the plan. Each step just before the strategic planning has been associated with these action plans that geared towards the organizations processes, operations and procedures that been aligned to its business. The action plans illustrated who does what, when does a strategic planning be completed and how will an organization know that the steps they are doing are already completed. Action plans require the supervision of the progress of the objectives for evaluating the performance needed just like what initiatives does.

So basically those are the questions I will be asking to the management of the company in developing a strategic information systems plan. Change takes something or someone from average to excellence. It will take you to the top as long as you are willing to leave unnecessary things and start to build up for the best. Changing and innovating the current status of the information system of the company will lead them to an organized and systematic process of gathering, preserving and securing the data of the entire business and people. Those essential points I have mentioned above are also guide questions I have taken from my research in my report topic. They are simple and straightforward, yet you will be forced to think critically since even planning involves planning. What you think of right now shall make out the consequence of the future aspects of business. That is why in strategic planning, every factor is intensively deliberated because it will determine better and efficient results.

Reference:
http://www.coda.ac.nz/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=unitec_scit_di
http://www.cis.gsu.edu/~emclean/IS%20Strategic%20Planning.ppt

Back to top Go down
Ma.AnnKristineTomada

Ma.AnnKristineTomada

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm)   Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm) - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 16, 2010 1:35 pm

.fast forward... you were hired and have been tasked to develop a strategic information systems plan for a company. The company officers have extended an invitation for you to meet with them to discuss the direction of the company. Before this meeting, they have asked that you provide a list of questions with some explanation about the "why" of the question so they can be prepared, thus maximizing the output from this meeting.

Develop a list of questions you would ask the officers of the company and give an explanation and justification for each question. (1000 words)

Just a brief review of what is Strategic Information System Plan for me to be able to know what are the questions that I will able to raise during the meeting.
First and foremost, when we say strategic planning, it is the process by which the guiding members of the organization envision its future and develop the necessary procedures and operations to achieve that future. In which its planning process can be viewed as a somewhat circular flow of topics and action steps, where the results from one step initiate study and action in the next step. However, the process does not necessarily always flow in one direction. Issues that arise in a particular step may cause the planning team to go back. The implementation step also does not end the planning process. Analysis of results could easily result in additional analysis or a change in strategic direction. Also, it is recommended that the plan be reviewed on an annual basis to verify that all the base assumptions are still valid and that the implementation plan is progressing according to expectations.
Here are the list of question that will be discuss on the meeting to be able to maximize the outcomes of the meeting and be able to formulate the best SISP for the company. To start with this question:
• Why plan?
This is might my preliminary question, this will help me to assess the company readiness of the company to adopt the change.

Why the need to have a plan?
The plan serves as a systematic, management tool for problem solving, market planning, product development and preparing business plans. The goal is to integrate all aspects of the business's activities in a mutually supportive system.
Follow with this question is as follows:
• Where are we now?
As they think about where the organization is now, as a hired to do the SISP, I want to look at the foundational elements (mission and value) to make sure there has not been a change. More than likely, I will not revise these two areas very often. Then I want to look at the current position or the strategic position. This is where they look at what is happening internally and externally to determine how they need to shift and change. And advice them to review their strategic position regularly through the use of a SWOT.

• Why does your organization exist?
The mission describes your organization’s purpose — the purpose for which you were founded and why you exist. Some mission statements include the business of the organization. Others explain what products or services they produce or customers they serve.
• Where are we going?
The question “Where are we going?” helps answer other questions such as
o What will my organization look like in the future?
o Where are we headed? What is the future I want to create for my company?
Because the future is hard to predict, you can have fun imagining what it may look like.
• How will we get there?
Knowing how to reach the company’s vision is the meat of your strategic plan, but it’s also the most time consuming. The reason it takes so much time to develop is because there are a number of routes from the current position to the vision. Picking the right one determines how quickly or slowly to get to your final destination.
SISP is the analysis of a corporation’s information and processes using business information models together with the evaluation of risk, current needs and requirements. The result is an action plan showing the desired course of events necessary to align information use and needs with the strategic direction of the company. SISP is a management function and not a technical one. SISP thus is used to identify the best targets for purchasing and installing new management information systems and help an organization maximize the return on its information technology investment. A portfolio of computer-based applications is identified that will assist an organization in executing its business plans and realize its business goals. There is a growing realization that the application of information technology (IT) to a firm’s strategic activities has been one of the most common and effective ways to improve business performance.

Conclusion

Information-based enterprises must be planned in an integrated way whereby all stages of the life cycle are engaged to bring about agility, quality, and productivity. This integration is similar in nature to the integration of product life cycle for an enterprise. The existing methodologies, however, tend to support information planning as an island separated from the wealth of the enterprise’s information resources. A needed new approach would tap into these resources which capture and characterize the enterprise to allow for integration of the planning stage with information systems development stages and support a shortened and adaptive cycle. This paper is a small first step towards a big task: developing a framework and a theory for strategic information systems planning. The need for such a framework is established by the existing problems in implementing SISP methodologies and also by what these methodologies themselves lack. A possible approach to building a framework is traced to the theoretical work of Hsu and Rattner (1993) and that is where the thrust of this line of research is expected to lie.

I want to end this topic with this inspiring line I got from my researches:
The greatest strategic plans are useless
unless carried out properly.
Strategic planning can be a slow and laborious process.
There are no overnight successes, and every company that is
a quick success reached it through diligent planning and implementation.

Back to top Go down
John Cesar E. Manlangit

John Cesar E. Manlangit

PostSubject: Assignment 8   Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm) - Page 3 EmptySat May 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Strategic information systems planning is a disciplined, systematic approach to determining the most effective and efficient means of satisfying organizational information needs. It is a top-down, structured approach which, to be successful, must employ technical and managerial processes in a systems engineering context. Under this approach, the characteristics of the system’s hardware, software, facilities, data, and personnel are identified and defined through detailed design and analysis to achieve the most cost-effective system for satisfying the organization’s needs. The process must consider system life cycle management and the organization’s policy and budget as important integral factors, and include all organizational participants (e.g., managers, users, maintainers, operators, and designers) throughout the process. It is an iterative process in that changes identified during the process must be evaluated to determine their effect on completed analyses. Strategic information systems planning is not a one-time event-it should be revisited periodically to ensure a system’s continued viability in meeting information needs and achieving long-term missions.
Information systems are important tools for effectively meeting organizational objectives. Readily available, complete, and accurate information is essential for making informed and timely decisions. Being unable to obtain needed data, wading through unneeded data, or inefficiently processing needed data wastes resources. The organization must identify its information needs on the basis of a systematic identification and analysis of its mission and functions to be performed, who is to perform them, the information and supporting data needed to perform the functions, and the processes needed to most usefully structure the information. Successful information system development and acquisition must include a rigorous and disciplined process of data gathering, evaluation, and analysis prior to committing significant financial and human resources to any information system development. While implementing such an approach may not preclude all information system acquisition problems, it should produce detailed knowledge of organizational missions and operations, user information needs and alternatives to address those needs, and an open and flexible architecture that is expandable or that can be upgraded to meet future needs.
The purpose and use of information system in the beginning was targeted towards reducing manual labor and increasing efficiency and thus reducing cost of doing business. Cost has thus been the ‘primal instinct’ justification for the usage of Information system in companies. Management seems to still use this justification even in today’s day and age because the IT salesman still thinks it’s the best and only way to get management buy-in. Moreover, as most other rationales used for IS have proved hard to sell, both the IT sales teams and their customers find a comfort zone in cost savings. This could also be because both sides (from all their previous experiences) are convinced of their failure before they even start out on a different track. The past experiences, in most cases were times they tried, half heartedly probably, without enough experience and failed. These failures have resulted in the baby being thrown out along with the dirty water.
Systems are usually laid out at different levels. The lowest rung in the ladder is taken by the TRANSACTIONAL information system. These are ones like ‘Pont Of Sales’ systems used in the store counters, or book keeping systems mentioned earlier. These are systems targeting cost reduction, capturing repetitive activities and assisting the human using it to become more efficient in handling larger volumes of transactions.
The OPERATIONAL or operation support systems are usually build combining several Transactional systems in a logical sequence so as to make the operation of any particular division/functional group more efficient. Classic example is the integration of Accounting, Payroll, HR, and Inventory, Production etc. to form a MRP or ERP system. Or POS, Customer Account Info, Accounting, etc. linked together to form a CRM system. A very critical component for operational systems is their reporting systems. They provide the reports that combine and merge the reports/information from several transactional systems to provide reports to help executives manage operations in a synchronized and optimized manner. Thus, they act as enablers and help managers to keep track of various parameters so as to keep the whole operation smooth and efficient.
STRATEGIC systems are little more complicated. They cross the regular operational boundaries and become tools that form the basis for senior management to plan, execute and monitor the organization. They help in keeping track of the Key Performance Indicators by combining and logically sorting information from various Operational and Transactional systems all across the company and at times combining it with external information from sources like the stock market, industry sources, partners and even competitors. Designing STRATEGIC information system requires a thought process of a ‘good’ CEO with an understanding of the business from the top, various information sources present in the company and outside in platforms that need to be collated, combined and extracted into a tool to help run the company in a more informed and responsive manner.

These are the list of questions before developing a Strategic Informations System Plan:

Why do you want to develop a strategic information systems plan?
These could be one of my main questions to them. Why do they want to develop an information systems plan?
• Why plan?
– To obtain resources
• Financial
• Facilities – “Capacity planning”
• Staff
– To align I/S with the business
– To identify needed applications
– To establish goals, schedules, and milestones in order to track progress
– To provide an opportunity for communication with top management and user management

Is the company ready for the IS Plan?

The company must assess the its environment
1. The capabilities of the IT department
2. The readiness of the company to use IT
3. The status of our customers, our industry
4. The status of the economy, government regulations, environment, society, etc.
5. Technology

These are my questions when developing Informations System Plan:

What is the vision and mission of the company?
The vision and mission of the company is very important in developing Informations System Plan.

Mission: Defines the fundamental purpose of an organization or an enterprise, succinctly describing why it exists and what it does to achieve its Vision. The mission could be either for the long term or the short term. A corporate mission can last for many years, or for the life of the organization or may change as the organization develops. It is not an objective with a timeline, but rather the overall goal that is accomplished as organizational goals and objectives are achieved.
Vision: Defines the desired or intended future state of an organization or enterprise in terms of its fundamental objective and/or strategic direction. Vision is a long term view, sometimes describing how the organization would like the world in which it operates to be. For example a charity working with the poor might have a vision statement which read "A world without poverty"
It is sometimes used to set out a 'picture' of the organization in the future. A vision statement provides inspiration, the basis for all the organization's planning. It could answer the question: "Where do we want to go?"
Mission and Vision Statement:
 A Mission statement tells you the fundamental purpose of the organization. It defines the customer and the critical processes. It informs you of the desired level of performance.
 A Vision statement outlines what the organization wants to be, or how it wants the world in which it operates to be. It concentrates on the future. It is a source of inspiration. It provides clear decision-making criteria.
An advantage of having a statement is that it creates value for those who get exposed to the statement, and those prospects are managers, employees and sometimes even customers. Statements create a sense of direction and opportunity. They both are an essential part of the strategy-making process.
Many people mistake vision statement for mission statement, and sometimes one is simply used as a longer term version of the other. The Vision should describe why it is important to achieve the Mission. A Vision statement defines the purpose or broader goal for being in existence or in the business and can remain the same for decades if crafted well. A Mission statement is more specific to what the enterprise can achieve itself. Vision should describe what will be achieved in the wider sphere if the organization and others are successful in achieving their individual missions.
A mission statement can resemble a vision statement in a few companies, but that can be a grave mistake. It can confuse people. The mission statement can galvanize the people to achieve defined objectives, even if they are stretch objectives, provided it can be elucidated in SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound) terms. A mission statement provides a path to realize the vision in line with its values. These statements have a direct bearing on the bottom line and success of the organization.
Which comes first? The mission statement or the vision statement? That depends. If you have a new start up business, new program or plan to re engineer your current services, then the vision will guide the mission statement and the rest of the strategic plan. If you have an established business where the mission is established, then many times, the mission guides the vision statement and the rest of the strategic plan. Either way, you need to know your fundamental purpose - the mission, your current situation in terms of internal resources and capabilities (strengths and/or weaknesses) and external conditions (opportunities and/or threats), and where you want to go - the vision for the future. It's important that you keep the end or desired result in sight from the start. Features of an effective vision statement include:
 Clarity and lack of ambiguity
 Vivid and clear picture
 Description of a bright future
 Memorable and engaging wording
 Realistic aspirations
 Alignment with organizational values and culture
To become really effective, an organizational vision statement must (the theory states) become assimilated into the organization's culture. Leaders have the responsibility of communicating the vision regularly, creating narratives that illustrate the vision, acting as role-models by embodying the vision, creating short-term objectives compatible with the vision, and encouraging others to craft their own personal vision compatible with the organization's overall vision. In addition, mission statements need to be subjected to an internal assessment and an external assessment. The internal assessment should focus on how members inside the organization interpret their mission statement. The external assessment — which includes all of the businesses stakeholders — is valuable since it offers a different perspective. These discrepancies between these two assessments can give insight on the organization's mission statement effectiveness.
Another approach to defining Vision and Mission is to pose two questions. Firstly, "What aspirations does the organization have for the world in which it operates and has some influence over?", and following on from this, "What can (and /or does) the organization do or contribute to fulfill those aspirations?". The succinct answer to the first question provides the basis of the Vision Statement. The answer to the second question determines the Mission Statement.

What are the goals, objectives and targets of the company?

• Set goals – what do you want to achieve?
• Set objectives – what are your specific, measurable targets?

One model of organizing objectives uses hierarchies. The items listed above may be organized in a hierarchy of means and ends and numbered as follows: Top Rank Objective (TRO), Second Rank Objective, Third Rank Objective, etc. From any rank, the objective in a lower rank answers to the question "How?" and the objective in a higher rank answers to the question "Why?" The exception is the Top Rank Objective (TRO): there is no answer to the "Why?" question. That is how the TRO is defined.
People typically have several goals at the same time. "Goal congruency" refers to how well the goals combine with each other. Does goal A appear compatible with goal B? Do they fit together to form a unified strategy? "Goal hierarchy" consists of the nesting of one or more goals within other goal(s).
One approach recommends having short-term goals, medium-term goals, and long-term goals. In this model, one can expect to attain short-term goals fairly easily: they stand just slightly above one's reach. At the other extreme, long-term goals appear very difficult, almost impossible to attain. Strategic management jargon sometimes refers to "Big Hairy Audacious Goals" (BHAGs) in this context. Using one goal as a stepping-stone to the next involves goal sequencing. A person or group starts by attaining the easy short-term goals, then steps up to the medium-term, then to the long-term goals. Goal sequencing can create a "goal stairway". In an organizational setting, the organization may co-ordinate goals so that they do not conflict with each other. The goals of one part of the organization should mesh compatibly with those of other parts of the organization.

http://www.blastasia.com/PDF_files_for_web/Formulating%20an%20ISSP.pdf
http://viu.eng.rpi.edu/publications/strpaper.pdf
http://archive.gao.gov/d32t10/146630.pdf
Back to top Go down
Anthony Rigor Aguilar

Anthony Rigor Aguilar

PostSubject: Assignment 8   Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm) - Page 3 EmptyThu May 20, 2010 9:29 am

Fast forward ..., you were hired and have been tasked to develop a strategic information systems plan for a company. The company officers have extended an invitation for you to meet with them to discuss the direction of the company. Before this meeting, they have asked that you provide a list of questions with some explanation about the "why" of the question so they can be prepared, thus maximizing the output from this meeting.

Why do you need systems analysts?
It is important know why the organization or the company a system analyst. A systems analyst is responsible for researching, planning, coordinating and recommending software and system choices to meet an organization's business requirements. Systems analyst plays a vital role in the systems development process. A successful systems analyst must acquire four skills: analytical, technical, managerial and interpersonal. An analytical skill enables the systems analyst to understand the organization and its functions which helps him/her to identify opportunities and to analyze and solve problems. Technical skills help systems analyst to understand the potential and the limitations of information technology. The systems analyst must be able to work with programming languages, various operating systems and computer hardware platforms. Management skills help the systems analyst to manage projects, resources, risk and change. Interpersonal skills help systems analyst to work with end users as well as with other analysts, programmers and other systems professionals. Systems analysts may act as liaisons between vendors and the organization they represent. They may be responsible for developing cost analyses, design considerations, and implementation time-lines. They may also be responsible for feasibility studies of a computer system before making recommendations to senior management. Basically a systems analyst performs the following tasks: Interact with the customers to know their requirements Interact with designers to convey the possible interface of the software Interact/guide the coders/developers to keep track of system development Perform system testing with sample/live data with the help of testers implement the new system

Why did the company hire me instead of the others?

This is the question will help me to know what are the qualities I have so that Im able to know my strengths and my weaknesses. As we all know that Computer systems analyst is a blanket term for a computer professional that solves computer issues and uses technology to meet the needs of the company. These professionals might be employed under different titles: IT consultant, IT specialist, programmer analyst, business systems analyst, system architect and computer specialist, to name a few. These highly-trained professionals plan, design and expand new computer systems as well as configure software and hardware. They update/upgrade current computer systems and modify them for new or expanded functions. They are frequently charged with preparing cost reports for management.
Computer systems analysts usually collaborate with other professionals in the information technology field, such as programmers, network security specialists, and software engineers, and will sometimes specialize in specific systems such as accounting, business, engineering, financial, or scientific systems. Click here to find out how to become a computer systems analyst.

What are the objectives of the company?
I want know the reasons why the company is in need for SISP and or Bsuness Process Engineering and Reengineering so that I can relate to them.

What are the vision, mission, and the goals of the company?
The terms mission, vision and values have become over used words and often are confused with old fashion strategic planning retreats where hours and even days are spent word-smithing a mission statement that is never looked at again. Many times the words are interchanged causing more confusion over the benefit for creating a mission, vision and value statement. This is the question that everyone should ask the company even if you are not an IT specialist. The questions below explain much why it is there a need for acquiring those three:

Mission: Mission or purpose is the reason for the firm or organizations existence. It answers the question, why do we exist? Another way to look at mission is to ask, what would happen if we disappeared?

Why do we need a mission? Mission is your raison d’être, your "reason for being" and is what keeps the excitement and motivation in your work. Knowing the "why" behind the "what" is how you create focus, alignment and commitment in your organization. We all want to be part of something that makes a difference and is deeper than making a profit. A strong "reason for being" is what allows you to achieve what others might view as impossible. It is what motivates ordinary people and organizations to achieve extra ordinary results.

Your mission statement will help your organization to attract the right clients, the right employees and help you to make decisions that are in alignment with your core purpose. Your mission will keep your organization focused on "why it exists" and provide inspiration, direction and motivation to pursue goals when inevitable obstacles get in the way.

Much of what motivates and inspires people to make meaning and take action is contained in this "why" aspect. A mission statement is usually meant to define internal motivation -- it’s meant to align and engage the agents or actors in the organization -- rather than helping define an orientation to outside customers. The customer-centered or marketplace equivalent to a mission statement is usually contained in materials designed to promote the brand's purpose or corporate image as part of a reason for doing business, for public relations purposes or to attract employees or investors. That's an external message (still often called "mission" by the PR dept.) defined in terms of the target market or the competition. This type of statement will not be useful for aligning workplace structures, systems, processes and cultures. It is more like an advertisement, and can be effective when it represents an operational reality, communicates honest values, and helps the audience make meaning.
A mission or purpose statement defines why it all matters to employees, contractors, partners, and management -- the internal "customers."
As a mission reflects human motivation, hopefully it helps people feel good, maybe even to feel inspired, about it. It must be kept current and alive; check to see if your mission, once defined and in writing, still holds true 6 - 12 months later. Missions will change as priorities and business conditions change, after mergers or acquisitions, or other significant transitions.
Questions to ask that will get at mission and purpose:
• Why are we doing this?
• Why does this work [our work] matter?
• What’s most important about this work?
• What will it do for us to fulfill our vision or strategic priorities? Why do our goals matter?
• What is our unique role? How do we "make a difference"? For whom? How will we benefit? Who else benefits?

Vision: Vision is a clear image of your desired future. Think Martin Luther King and his "I have a dream" speech. It is a picture of the future you seek to create. A statement of your vision shows everyone in your firm or organization where you want to go and what you will be like when you get there. Vision answers the question, what is the final result we want?

Why do we need vision? Vision paints a picture of what everyone agrees the organization will look like in the future. It gives shape and direction to the organization's future and helps people set goals and prioritize strategies for moving the organization closer to its desired results.

Once you are clear on what your vision is, then you can make your vision a reality by focusing your plan on the strategies that are in alignment with the result you want to achieve.

Values: Values describe how we intend to operate, on a day-by day basis, as we pursue our vision. Values are best expressed in terms of behavior and are the guiding principles by which an organization operates. What do we do when no one is watching?

Why do we need to define values? Unlike a vision which can change, values never change and are the "rudder of the ship" helping an organization to make decisions and behave in a manner that is in alignment with what the organization stands for.

Everyone and every organization has values. The question is (a) are they clear (known to you and to other key stakeholders), and if so, (b) are you living according to them? Celebrate where your values and your actions are in alignment and look for areas where you value one thing but regularly do another. What are biggest gaps? What could you do to begin to close those gaps?
Often people end up in roles that do not reflect their values, or working for a company or boss that conflicts with their values. First comes clarifying why there's a mismatch, then rational and appropriate action can be taken to improve the situation. Values are so intrinsic, ingrained and invisible (until they are surfaced) that we experience all the downstream effects without knowing the true cause. This tension and confusion can make intelligent actions, let alone informed decisions, nearly impossible.
Our coaching clients use a handy tool that helps make surfacing and using one's values easier and more rewarding. The big question you can ask yourself about your values: "Which of these values am I living today and where are the biggest gaps?"

ROLES & GOALS
Many organizations do not have clearly defined roles for key employees. Those roles must be mutually understood "agreements" between management and the employees. Some employees may play multiple roles (for example, project leader and administrative assistant). It is often helpful to define sets of goals in terms of each role that an employee plays.

Vision and mission-making work can serve you in carrying out your leadership role, unifying your efforts and building alignment and loyalty among employees. However, far more important than having mission and vision statements is having a clear mission and vision!
While en route to getting it clear, avoiding formulating any new goals (in fact, you may want to slightly postpone a few to free up some time to focus). Once the vision statement has been drafted, discussed, improved and accepted, it will guide decision making and goal setting, saving you and others tremendous time and effort in the long-run.
The benefits of clear vision and mission statements will be realized if they
• speak to the organization’s present condition (including a "healthy stretch" toward a desired future),
• are written clearly in plain English, and
• are accompanied by grounded action that brings the intentions to life, and makes the work as the statements are put to use.
Making a statement memorable and inspiring is optional, but a helpful intention. If these conditions are being met, then you can go forward with communicating this important information to everyone in the organization and, if appropriate, the outside world. Such written statements can be used to develop a clearer position in the marketplace, for strategic planning, and to quickly qualify job candidates and orient new-hires. If the statements are implemented as a tool for dialogue and feedback, the content need not be presented as the definitive "final word" but rather a (perpetual) working draft.

What are the company’s existing information systems?

I want to know what are the company’s existing system being used during their business operation so that I may able to understand the other business details of the company. Knowing the current IS of the organization helps me in understanding the impact of information system of the company.

According to http://tutor2u.net/business/ict/intro_information_system_types.htm:

For most businesses, there are a variety of requirements for information. Senior managers need information to help with their business planning. Middle management need more detailed information to help them monitor and control business activities. Employees with operational roles need information to help them carry out their duties.
As a result, businesses tend to have several "information systems" operating at the same time. This revision note highlights the main categories of information system and provides some examples to help you distinguish between them.

Why are information systems so important in your business?

I want to know the company’s interest and reasons why do they need IS to know if the company is adapting the right information system or do they aligned with company’s current business plan.

Six reasons why information systems are so important for business today include: Operational excellence; new products, services, and business models; customer and supplier intimacy; improved decision making; Competitive advantage; Survival

References:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_are_information_systems_so_important_in_business_today
http://tutor2u.net/business/ict/intro_information_system_types.htm
http://www.abetterworkplace.com/027.html
http://www.systemsanalyst.com/how-to-become-a-computer-systems-analyst/
http://www.authenticlawmarketing.com/articles/visionmissionvalues/

Back to top Go down
basith_jumat

basith_jumat

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm)   Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm) - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 4:09 pm

fast forward ..., you were hired and have been tasked to develop a strategic information systems plan for a company. The company officers have extended an invitation for you to meet with them to discuss the direction of the company. Before this meeting, they have asked that you provide a list of questions with some explanation about the "why" of the question so they can be prepared, thus maximizing the output from this meeting.

Develop a list of questions you would ask the officers of the company and give an explanation and justification for each question. (1000 words)

What are the mission, vision, goals, and objectives of your company? why did the company obtain these ambitions?

First and foremost, before I discuss on the thing such as plans, I have to acquire the knowledge of the company. It is because planning serves as a guide in achieving the company’s purpose. It also evaluates if the company is doing the right thing to the attainment of its goals.

What are the information plan of the company?
The company can explain well the reason why the they create an information plan.

did you anticipate the changes that may happen during the implementation?
as we implemented the said strategic information system plan, does the employees of the company that is involved in the implementation willing to adapt the changes that they might encounter? does the company willing to conduct orientation before the implementation of the strategic information system plan.

What are the benefits of the said plan?

An information system is there to empower its users. A database simply provides data, but an information system is all about providing the best information the user needs to do their task more effectively. It also takes into account that different users doing their own specific tasks may need to see their information presented in differing ways. The benefits of an information system follow when the user can quickly access, understand and respond correctly to that information.
Back to top Go down
Jovylin O. Sandoval

Jovylin O. Sandoval

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm)   Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm) - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Fast forward, you were hired and have been tasked to develop a strategic information systems plan for a company. The company officers have extended an invitation for you to meet with them to discuss the direction of the company. Before this meeting, they have asked that you provide a list of questions with some explanation about the "why" of the question so they can be prepared, thus maximizing the output from this meeting.

Develop a list of questions you would ask the officers of the company and give an explanation and justification for each question.

flower In a company, we really need to plan for whatever actions we are taking and are about to take in order to fulfill the purpose of the establishment and to satisfy the need of the client and/or customers. Planning, plays a vital role and gives essential part before taking the first step of entering into the business world. It will also help improve the company in fixing the lapses, strengthen the weak points as the business goes by. Planning will keep the whole process and the whole people especially the key people in focusing on the things being planned. It keeps the company on the track in the whole process.

On the other hand, Change is all needed to take something or someone from average to excellence. It will take you or company to the top as long as you are willing to leave unnecessary things and start to build up for the best. Changing and innovating the current status of the information system of the company will lead them to an organized and systematic process of gathering, preserving and securing the data of the entire business and people.

What do we mean when we say strategize? We need to strategize to know our strategies. To know where to start. We need to strategize, because we need to organize our ideas.

Here are some key points to remember according to akshaya Bhatia:
1) Decision support systems that enable to develop a strategic approach to align Information Systems (IS) or Information Technologies (IT) with an organization's business strategies
2) Primarily Enterprise resource planning solutions that integrate/link the business processes to meet the enterprise objectives for the optimization of the enterprise resources
3) Database systems with the "data mining" capabilities to make the best use of available corporate information for marketing, production, promotion and innovation. The SIS systems also facilitate identification of the data collection strategies to help optimize database marketing opportunities.
4) The real-time information Systems that intend to maintain a rapid-response and the quality indicators.

Likewise, the list of questions that I could maybe ask to the officers of the company is the following:
1.)What business is the company in?

The first and most important question is, "What business are we in?" What business are we really in? I want to fully know what type of business am I going to develop a strategic plan. To define the business in terms of what they do for their customer or to the company. Keep expanding the definition of the business so that it is as broad as possible. Never be satisfied with the first answer.

For example, railroads defined themselves as being in the business of moving people and freight by rail. In reality, they were in the transportation business. By ignoring the other avenues of transportation that were developing, such as trucks, buses, ships, and airplanes, many railroads went out of business.

2.)What are the business mission, objectives, and goals of the company?

It analyses the processes for all the data needed. It will identify the data currently required to perform the processes. It describes the overall information system architecture comprised of databases and applications as well as the installation schedule of individual systems.

3.)What are the strengths and weaknesses of the company?

With the strengths given by the company it would determine the strong point of the company also it would help determine what things should be given much attention and what things should be given less attention. Same as to the weaknesses of the company, it would also help to know what were the customer needs and the workers need. It would determine the weak point of the company also it would help determine what things should be given less attention and what things should be given much attention.

4.)What are the opportunities and threats of the company?

Knowing the opportunities of company will determine the competitive environment and the competitive information opportunities. It also defines strategic information needs. It would also help identify the opportunities for improvement. Whereas, by knowing also the threats of the company will determine what to improve and how to compete with other competitors.

5.)What would you want the company to achieve?

This means the goals of the company. Goals can be summarized in the phrase "dream with a deadline," a goal is an observable and measurable end result having one or more objectives to be achieved within a more or less fixed timeframe. In comparison, a 'purpose' is an intention (internal motivational state) or mission. The question, "Has the goal been achieved?" can always be answered with either a "Yes" or "No." A purpose, however, is not 'achieved' but instead is pursued everyday.

6.)Who are the persons involved in this project?

The PEOPLE Issue represents the readiness of the organization to absorb technology and awareness factors. This if overlooked can be a major cause of failure for any plan during the implementation phase. By this, everyone will know all the persons they will be working with or dealing with so that in times of there will be something wrong happen, they used to know who to ask or to talk to fix such problem.

7.)What are the needs of the company?

In order to make a strategic plan which is efficient I would ask them what are the needs of their company. So after discussing what are the needs then you can evaluate ‘why they need those specific needs’ for the company and what will the things you would do to make the SISP.

8.)What problems are the company is addressing?

With the problem that will be stated by the company, this would determine the problems of the company that leads them why they need to change and will gonna have an improvement with the business flow of the company by a Strategic Information System Planning.

9.)How company deal with the changes?

Changes here mean that everyone should study also of the existing TECHNOLOGY platform within the company, the infrastructure, the state and format of the data and information present. Along with all this, the governance of technology is also something to watch out for. It becomes important to manage the chaos that would naturally result from too many ‘technology’ cooks in a company. The standards, responsibility and approval structure in selecting and implementing technology choices have to be clear and specific in order to avoid pain of integration and obsolescence.

10.)Does your company willing to provide sufficient budget either it will be big or small project?

Factors that become critical at the stage of doing projects are the availability of budget. All plans should be supported through a justification on the basis of cost savings, (but, of course) opportunity cost and strategic rationale like competitive advantage, perception etc. amongst other factors. Asking this is a big help because budget is the mainly needed for it is in here in which the project will be going through whatever it takes. It is the one in which why certain project will be establish or is established.

11.)What are the strategies and priorities of the company?

This question would be useful for identifying how the company deal with handling priorities and what should be prioritized.

12.)What are the critical success factors and core competencies of the company?

Critical success factors (CSF’s) are the critical factors or activities required for ensuring the success of your business. These have been used significantly to present or identify a few key factors that organizations should focus on to be successful. If the officers could point out what the critical success factors of their company are, then it would be easier to formulate a strategic information systems plan that could maximize the output of the company by means of information technology.

Meanwhile, Core competencies as defined from Encarta are areas of expertise that are fundamental to a particular job or function. It’s the same with the CSF’s. If they could pinpoint the core competencies earlier then that could help in the formulation of the SISP.

13.)What is the company’s current strategy and plan?

By this question, the answer would be concerned with the company’s Strategic Plan. But I won’t need the whole answer from them; I’d just like to hear from them the summary of what their plan is and what their strategy is when we are going to meet face-to-face for the meeting. After the meeting, that’s when I’m going to look more closely and deeply in their company’s strategic plan, and then formulate a plan according to the information that I have gathered from it.

14.)Are they ready to reengineer?

It provides techniques or building enterprise models, data models, and process models. These form a comprehensive knowledge base which then creates and maintains information systems.

15.)How much is the allotted time for the project?

Persons involved should have to discuss about how much time will be consume to take for this project. By knowing this, each can have a managed time and how they will use it to finish certain project.

16.)What are the things that need to be assessed?

The capabilities of every employee especially on the IT department and even the employer must be assessed to know if the available information technology is ready to use and know the needs of the costumer and the status of the industry.

17.)Does your company use Modeling techniques to facilitate IT planning?

In a Strategic planning, it is important to create a reference model and methodologies because it captures and characterize the enterprise which shortens the response cycle form Information Systems employment and deployment. This is in order to achieve competitiveness among other companies. It also establishes the relationship between the overall organizational
plan and the IT plan.

18.)Why do you think that strategic planning for information systems is essential to your organization?

Strategic planning is essential because it process your organization to establish priorities that a company would use in its future endeavor. For organizational success, strategic planning is moreover very important especially in times of increasingly rapid change in technology. Also the organization must also consider that Strategic Plans cannot succeed without people, time, money, and other key resources.

19.)Does your company identify tools and methodology for your Information Technology planning? Why?

During strategic planning, several tools and methodologies have been used to ease the development of Information Technology planning within the organization. Thus, methods existed to help the organizations to align their business strategies with the organizational strategies. It is an aid to identify the opportunities for the company to utilize Information Technology for competitive advantage. And in analyzing the internal processes of an organization, these methodologies start with the evaluation of the strategies that check the industry, competition and competitiveness. Other methodologies have been used to help create and rationalize the new uses of Information Technology to the company.

20.)How should this SISP be done?

Knowing the organization's current scenario, the company background, identifying the critical success factors, dealing the issue with “is there a need for a change”, and to what extent the SISP would be, after all those questions and to complete my inputs about the organization, knowing how the SISP be done is a big yes for me and the client meet our different ideas on how it should be done and what processes it would take. Budget, time and effort allocation can also be discussed with this.

References:
http://viu.eng.rpi.edu/publications/strpaper.pdf
http://www.jmis-web.org/articles/v13_n1_p35/index.html
http://www.coda.ac.nz/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1000&context=unitec_scit_di
IT5681_52Z7UKFKda.pdf
http://www.ebrc.fi/kuvat/Makipaa_paper.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://juvz14.multiply.com
Edsa Fe Esio

Edsa Fe Esio

PostSubject: Assignment 8   Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm) - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 10:58 pm

fast forward ..., you were hired and have been tasked to develop a strategic information systems plan for a company. The company officers have extended an invitation for you to meet with them to discuss the direction of the company. Before this meeting, they have asked that you provide a list of questions with some explanation about the "why" of the question so they can be prepared, thus maximizing the output from this meeting. Develop a list of questions you would ask the officers of the company and give an explanation and justification for each question.

Little by little most of the organizations already have a grasp on technology for the development and to be competitive among others with the aid of information system technology. With the wide acceptance of information system as a valuable organizational resource that can potentially give back a huge amount of return of investment, strategic planning of information system has been considered to be a crucial part of the business plan of most companies nowadays. By definition, strategic information systems planning, also known as simply SISP, is the process whereby an organization establishes a long-range plan of computer-based applications in order to achieve its goals. With the huge potential benefits of an effective information system, it is very important for an IS consultant to know the right questions to ask to the company officers not only to fully assess the information system needs of the company but also develop an effective strategic information system plan.
Strategic Information Technology
Strategic Information System Planning as for any other system do begin with the identification of the needs- whether needs of the organization or need of the system itself. To be more efficient and effective, development of any type of computer-based system should be a response to need--whether at the transaction processing level or at the more complex information and support systems levels. The mentioned planning for information systems is much akin to strategic planning in management. Note that objectives, priorities, and authorization for information systems projects need to be formalized. The systems development plan should identify specific projects slated for the future, priorities for each project and for resources, general procedures, and constraints for each application area. Furthermore, the strategic plan must be precise enough to make possible the understanding of each application and to know where it stands in the order of development. Also, it should be flexible so that priorities can be adjusted if necessary in some cases. I am also referring to the need for continuously updating and improving IS architecture. I have read that “SISP is the analysis of a corporation’s information and processes using business information models together with the evaluation of risk, current needs and requirements.” (Pant, Hsu, 1995). The result is an action plan showing the desired course of events necessary to align information use and needs with the strategic direction of the company. In developing a strategic information system plan, lots of questions are possible to be asked to the company officers as part of the process. As long as it will be beneficial to the development and would give a result that can help to the success of it, it has no doubt accepted. Here are some of the questions that can be asked to the company officers that based on the three phase methodology of strategic information system planning.
Strategic information systems planning is a disciplined, systematic approach to determining the most effective and efficient means of satisfying organizational information needs. It is a top-down, structured approach which, to be successful, must employ technical and managerial processes in a systems engineering context. Under this approach, the characteristics of the system’s hardware, software, facilities, data, and personnel are identified and defined through detailed design and analysis to achieve the most cost-effective system for satisfying the organization’s needs. The process must consider system life cycle management and the organization’s policy and budget as important integral factors, and include all organizational participants (e.g., managers, users, maintainers, operators, and designers) throughout the process. It is an iterative process in that changes identified during the process must be evaluated to determine their effect on completed analyses. Strategic information systems planning is not a one-time event-it should be revisited periodically to ensure a system’s continued viability in meeting information needs and achieving long-term missions. Information systems are important tools for effectively meeting organizational objectives. Readily available, complete, and accurate information is essential for making informed and timely decisions. Being unable to obtain needed data, wading through unneeded data, or inefficiently processing needed data wastes resources. The organization must identify its information needs on the basis of a systematic identification and analysis of its mission and functions to be performed, who is to perform them, the information and supporting data needed to perform the functions, and the processes needed to most usefully structure the information. Successful information system development and acquisition must include a rigorous and disciplined process of data gathering, evaluation, and analysis prior to committing significant financial and human resources to any information system development. While implementing such an approach may not preclude all information system acquisition problems, it should produce detailed knowledge of organizational missions and operations, user information needs and alternatives to address those needs, and an open and flexible architecture that is expandable or that can be upgraded to meet future needs. The purpose and use of information system in the beginning was targeted towards reducing manual labor and increasing efficiency and thus reducing cost of doing business. Cost has thus been the ‘primal instinct’ justification for the usage of Information system in companies. Management seems to still use this justification even in today’s day and age because the IT salesman still thinks it’s the best and only way to get management buy-in. Moreover, as most other rationales used for IS have proved hard to sell, both the IT sales teams and their customers find a comfort zone in cost savings. This could also be because both sides (from all their previous experiences) are convinced of their failure before they even start out on a different track. The past experiences, in most cases were times they tried, half heartedly probably, without enough experience and failed. These failures have resulted in the baby being thrown out along with the dirty water. Systems are usually laid out at different levels. The lowest rung in the ladder is taken by the TRANSACTIONAL information system. These are ones like ‘Pont Of Sales’ systems used in the store counters, or book keeping systems mentioned earlier. These are systems targeting cost reduction, capturing repetitive activities and assisting the human using it to become more efficient in handling larger volumes of transactions.
The OPERATIONAL or operation support systems are usually build combining several Transactional systems in a logical sequence so as to make the operation of any particular division/functional group more efficient. Classic example is the integration of Accounting, Payroll, HR, and Inventory, Production etc. to form a MRP or ERP system. Or POS, Customer Account Info, Accounting, etc. linked together to form a CRM system. A very critical component for operational systems is their reporting systems. They provide the reports that combine and merge the reports/information from several transactional systems to provide reports to help executives manage operations in a synchronized and optimized manner. Thus, they act as enablers and help managers to keep track of various parameters so as to keep the whole operation smooth and efficient.
STRATEGIC systems are little more complicated. They cross the regular operational boundaries and become tools that form the basis for senior management to plan, execute and monitor the organization. They help in keeping track of the Key Performance Indicators by combining and logically sorting information from various Operational and Transactional systems all across the company and at times combining it with external information from sources like the stock market, industry sources, partners and even competitors. Designing STRATEGIC information system requires a thought process of a ‘good’ CEO with an understanding of the business from the top, various information sources present in the company and outside in platforms that need to be collated, combined and extracted into a tool to help run the company in a more informed and responsive manner.

Phase 1 Preliminary Assessment
1. What are the present capabilities of the IS department of your company (if there is one)?
2. Describe the readiness of the company to use IS.
3. What is the status of the customers and the industry with respect to your company?
Phase 2 Business Strategy Analysis
1. What are the current management strategies of your company with respect to IS?
( ex. Bleeding edge, leading edge, lagging edge, single vendor strategy, outsourcing)
2. How effective are your current IS strategies?
3. What are the problems that your company encountered with your current IS strategy?
Phase 3 Strategic IS planning
1. What do you want to achieve in the future? ( Setting Goals)
The answer to this question will help me assess the goals of the company of acquiring an information system strategy. This would enable me to generally set the goals of the SISP that I will develop for the company.
2. What are your measurable targets? ( Setting Objectives )
The answer to this question will help me assess the effectiveness of the steps and strategies that I have chosen as the SISP of the company. The answer to this question generally sets the objectives of the company’s SISP. The objectives of the SISP should be measurable in order to measure the effectiveness of the strategy and An example of a measurable target would be the return of investment over a specific period time.
3. What are your company policies when it comes to acquisition of an information system?

In an organization, strategic information systems plan (SISP) is really important because it is a tool in which the organization can attain their successful development and improvement of the system. By doing that, of course all the people involved should gather to discuss what to do. And one way to understand what will be doing is the guidelines which are the questions that everyone should talk about and discuss. Below are questions than can also be considered to asked to the company officers:
1.) What are the business mission, objectives, and goals?
Here, it analyses the processes for all the data needed. It will identify the data currently required to perform the processes. It describes the overall information system architecture comprised of databases and applications as well as the installation schedule of individual systems.
2.) What will be the expected output of this project you want to have?
After knowing their business mission, objectives and goals, it should be given an emphasis of what the company wants to have in a certain project and to know exactly the expected output or finish product so that it will be concentrated to what is its goal to achieve.
3.) Who are the persons involved in this project?
The PEOPLE Issue represents the readiness of the organization to absorb technology and awareness factors. This if overlooked can be a major cause of failure for any plan during the implementation phase. By this, everyone will know all the persons they will be working with or dealing with so that in times of there will be something wrong happen, they used to know who to ask or to talk to fix such problem.
4.) Does your company willing to provide sufficient budget either it will be big or small project?
Factors that become critical at the stage of doing projects are the availability of budget. All plans should be supported through a justification on the basis of cost savings, (but, of course) opportunity cost and strategic rationale like competitive advantage, perception etc. amongst other factors. Asking this is a big help because budget is the mainly needed for it is in here in which the project will be going through whatever it takes. It is the one in which why certain project will be establish or is established.
5.) Ready to reengineer?
It provides techniques or building enterprise models, data models, and process models. These form a comprehensive knowledge base which then creates and maintains information systems.
6.) How much is the allotted time for the project?
Persons involved should have to discuss about how much time will be consume to take for this project. By knowing this, each can have a managed time and how they will use it to finish certain project.
7.) How company deal with the changes?
Changes here means that everyone should study also of the existing TECHNOLOGY platform within the company, the infrastructure, the state and format of the data and information present. Along with all this, the governance of technology is also something to watch out for. It becomes important to manage the chaos that would naturally result from too many ‘technology’ cooks in a company. The standards, responsibility and approval structure in selecting and implementing technology choices have to be clear and specific in order to avoid pain of integration and obsolescence.

In the end, choosing questions that are necessary to be answered by the company officers as part of the planning will play a big role in the success of it. In choosing questions,one should be careful and think-through on the importance of it and the output it will give because by these questions, necessary information that is very essential in the overall process are at risk. On top of it, giving attention to the questions to give away only shows one point, which is to acquire the vital information that can be gathered by appropriate questions to be asked.
Back to top Go down
Venus Millena

Venus Millena

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm)   Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm) - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 08, 2010 11:24 am

Who are the people involved in the project and their specialty and their absolute contribution during the process? And Who are your intended users?

Each organization must carefully decide who should be involved in strategic planning. There are several key roles to be played in a strategic planning process including:

Planning Process Champion. This is usually a key member of the board of directors or the executive director. The person must be someone who believes in strategic planning and will help keep the process on track. This person does not have to be an expert in strategic planning, but s/he should be someone respected by board and staff members.

Plan Writer. Someone must assemble the planning group's decisions into a cohesive document. This person takes notes during planning meetings and uses them to prepare a plan, often in the form of several drafts for review by the entire planning group. Writing the plan, however, is more than simply compiling a record of planning meetings. The plan writer must also insert options and next logical steps into the drafts at each stage of the planning process.

Planning Process Facilitator. This person may be from outside the organization, though this role also can be played by a member of the board. The facilitator's main responsibility is to plan each meeting's agenda and to ensure the group stays on track.

Planning Team. The planning team's members are those who are most directly involved in laying out the issues and options for the future of the organization. This might be the entire board of directors plus the executive director. It might also be a committee of the board plus the executive director. Key staff beyond the executive director may also be involved. It might also include one (or more) representatives of people served by the organization. What is important to remember is to ensure that the people who are fairly representative of and respected by the organization's leadership are included on the planning team

Board of Directors. The board of directors will ultimately adopt the plan and will use it to guide its decisions and actions. If the entire board is not involved directly in the planning process, it must at least approve a planning process and be kept informed of its progress. The process of developing a strategic plan is a special opportunity to engage the board of directors in an active role in shaping the organization's future.

Staff. Staff members, particularly the executive director, have expertise and information that should be tapped during the planning process. Since they will be the ones who will carry out the plan on a day-to-day basis, they should be informed and, to whatever extent is appropriate for the organization, involved. Larger organizations often rely on representation from staff, while smaller organizations may include only the executive director on the planning team.

Clients. Those who benefit from the organization's services are sometimes involved in the planning process. Each organization makes its own choices about whether to include clients on the planning team or whether to consult them in some other way.
What are to be assessed and why assess? The capabilities of the IT department must be assesses to know if it is ready to use the Information Technology, the status of the customer and industry, the status of the economy and government, regulations, and the technology itself.

This is actually very similar to SWOT which means Strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and Threats.

What are the strategies and policies?
Why are strategies and polices have to be identified and derived? It is very important to derive strategies and policies for a most effective and focused Technology, personnel and career development, and aligning with the company. Policies have to be emphasized for funding criteria, to know how much to spend on its Information technology and information system. Allocation criteria is always a priority setting in an organization or company and its organizational arrangements must well be organized. The use of outside IT services must also be identified to be able to locate and identify outsourcing for this area. Likewise, selling IT services to outside organization might as well be of use on this purpose.

Finally, according to Somendra Pant and Cheng Hsu, 1995, planning for information systems, as for any other system, begins with the identification of needs. In order to be effective, development of any type of computer-based system should be a response to need -- whether at the transaction processing level or at the more complex information and support systems levels. Such planning for information systems is much like strategic planning in management. Objectives, priorities, and authorization for information systems projects need to be formalized. The systems development plan should identify specific projects slated for the future, priorities for each project and for resources, general procedures, and constraints for each application area. The plan must be specific enough to enable understanding of each application and to know where it stands in the order of development. Also the plan should be flexible so that priorities can be adjusted if necessary. King (King, 1995) in his recent article has argued that strategic capability architecture - a flexible and continuously improving infrastructure of organizational capabilities – is the primary basis for a company's sustainable competitive advantage. He has emphasized the need for continuously updating and improving the strategic capabilities architecture.
2. What outcome do you expect?

After knowing their business mission, objectives and goals, it should be given an emphasis of what the company wants to have in a certain project and to know exactly the expected output or finish product so that it will be concentrated to what is its goal to achieve. The PEOPLE Issue represents the readiness of the organization to absorb technology and awareness factors. This if overlooked can be a major cause of failure for any plan during the implementation phase. By this, everyone will know all the persons they will be working with or dealing with so that in times of there will be something wrong happen, they used to know who to ask or to talk to fix such problem.

4.) Does your company willing to provide sufficient budget either it will be big or small project?

The main risk in developing an information system for the company or even just planning for it is the budget or cost. Often times, the organization has various needs that they aim that their information system would cater but they don’t have the sufficient budget. The bigger the project a developer does, the bigger the expense the larger need for budget allocation. It essential to make sure that the company has enough budget ensure that the strategic information system plan would be of great success and in implementing the information system will also be successful.

5.) Ready to reengineer?

Even if the company don’t have a strategic information system plan yet, changes come from time-to-time and with that I assume that the company have its own strategy on how to face those changes. In the real world of business, coping up with change is a great challenge for the firm. Knowing their methods will also help me as a developer in the development of the strategic information system plan.

Companies develop a strategic information system plan that will serve as a tool in coping up the changes that occurs such as information technology, globalization and rapid organizational change. Asking would simply ask for the reason why they want to have an information system plan.

6.) How much is the allotted time for the project?

7.) How company deal with the changes?

Changes here means that everyone should study also of the existing TECHNOLOGY platform within the company, the infrastructure, the state and format of the data and information present. Along with all this, the governance of technology is also something to watch out for. It becomes important to manage the chaos that would naturally result from too many ‘technology’ cooks in a company. The standards, responsibility and approval structure in selecting and implementing technology choices have to be clear and specific in order to avoid pain of integration and obsolescence.
1. Is the company willing to undergo a massive organizational change in comes to technology and to the whole process of transaction?

The changes to be done are re-engineering, paradigm shift and automation. This comprises a total change or shifting to the company in which some user cannot line with it. This is a very risky action that need to be studied carefully and also do have plan b, c and soon.

3. How far the company willing to take?
In making the decision is not really easy, so in making a project, that all the time things work out according to plan. In some time things we don’t expect comes unexpected like death comes any time of the day without further notification. When this comes, the damage it brings might be big which means a failure. Can the company can still be willing to take that risk?

What is the allotted maximum length of time for the development of the strategic information system plan?

Developing a Strategic Information System Plan is not that easy. It needs extensive data gathering and thorough analysis. It needs time for the feasibility analysis, risk management and gathering of data, information and requirements.
Strategic planning is a competitive advantage for a firm. Organizations use information systems for strategic purposes and to improve the firm’s services. Changes always exist and with the rapid growth of information technology every firm aims to be competitive not only in business but also with the information technology present in the company. That is why Strategic Information System Planning is essential for a company to develop.
Does your organization prepare for an approach for Critical Success Factors? Why?

Critical Success Factors is an approach to Information Technology Planning that has been developed to help identify the information needs of managers. It is a must to be used in order to ensure the organization’s survival and success across its very competitive marketplace. There also a lot of basic statement that an every organization shall possess which are the three to six factors that will eventually result to an organization’s success if only been used very well. Therefore, through Critical Success Factors approach, the company could continuously determine their performance in different areas especially during the stage of strategic IT planning.
What are the principles and values does your company have been using? Why is it necessary?

It is very important for an organization to be guided with a standard set of values and belief in order for their company to follow certain viewpoint in life that could be use for the success of the company. They provide an underlying structure for the decision making of the company which later on is a part of the organization’s culture. These values and beliefs should be applicable to the entire organization for them to understand each other within the organization. Values may be appropriate for the sake of the management, for the quality of service and for the customer’s exceptional treatment.

Back to top Go down
http://venus_astarte16@yahoo.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm)   Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm) - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Assignment 8 (Due: February 5, 2010, before 01:00pm)
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3