USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)

Go down 
+46
michaelobero
Jennifer Conta
jeanette vale
george_norman_patayon
Katrina Cecilia A. Elid
Phoebe Angelie H Gallardo
leinad09
rancisolanobero
irelene cosicol
Mary Claire P. Avila
Rudy_Comawas_Jr
Allan S. Cabusora
Allan Gregor Gepulla
Daisy Jane E. Jabican
James Isidro
Beverly L. Rabaja
Shirley "df" Reuyan
Cariza Joy A. Ensoy
Ralph Gideon Doron
kenneth
vinceilagan
Dianne Jean Dumdum
irwinrod
Edward S. Baylon
Marybert V. Lee
Benjamin_Abadilla_Jr
Ruchan Alangilan
Alaina_Simbal
Sherwin_Elioreg
nesscel_ann_calara
Frenzess-Joy H. Elman
Genne Zareth Fernandez
Ma. Monique H. Asuque
kevin.cris.ramos
Axel Ros E. Campaña
Zara Mae Ontal
michael_reggie_gloria
festejoteodoroIII
cherilyn lagare
jezrelle larubes
raffyprongo
Jonalyn Sanchez
maria edna hernandez
Mark Bryan B. Gonzales
arnulfotaghoyjr
eyesee
50 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
vinceilagan

vinceilagan

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:27 am

Subject: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:08 am
Today, I went in visiting the

ASTI (Advance Science & Tech. Ins.)

I didn’t know that the DOST had a sister company which is the ASTI until I had visited the place I still had a good feeling about the whole forum on what the ASTI had done for the past years on developing some gadgets to help people and find ways to make machines that is more cheaper and easy to use by people who are in need of such machines to cope-up their daily needs like the one which regulates the soils moisture which would help the farmers to see if their farms are in good conditions or needs to be watered to compensate the whole planting process. And there were lots of their gadgets that are useful but that was the most machine I was fascinated with.

What I learned?
I learned that there are some gadgets that don’t need to have a big cost price that would help big in the community a certain machine would be much better than any costly machines are. The one like tsunami alarm, the one like a flash drive which served as a port which let a PC to send an SMS to cellphones.

What I liked?
I liked the process in which they would visualize a certain problem or dilemma that they would create a machine that could help even just a small help that would impart something to the community like the tsunami detector and soil moisture machine.

What I didn’t like?
I didn’t like the thing that they would sell their machines or gadgets which is I don’t see why? When our governments is the one that is supporting them. Am I right, just so thinking what if they would elaborate more some of their studies and some up the people there that is more on technology basis that would just study and build a machine for our government a program perhaps that some-ups all the bank accounts of all taxes that would be collected and withdrawn.

SSS (Social Security System)

I had a wonderful time in the SSS because they warmly welcomed us in their main office specially the A for effort for what they had done in giving us some short brief discussions on the process and benefits of being an SSS member. The speakers discussed the different programs of the SSS such as the loans, and benefits in time of your retirement and on how and what to do on becoming a member and showed us the process. We visited first the office were all SSS transaction were being process, then on their mini-library and mini-museum on the relevant information, history and some artifacts with regards to the SSS company. Not telling the treasures they had under the mini-museum they have, the oldest type-writer I had seen, the cellphone and many more what a life changing experience that was. Exciting part when they showed to us a room where the entire machine that makes the whole process of the SSS company makes their thing, like their member IDs, the verification to which they would know if the name you had have been taken already or you are filing two people at the same time. WEW, what a cheat. The most fascinating experience I had there was when they showed us a book that year almost the age of our hero Jose P. Rizal. WOW, that was too old.

What I learned?
I have learned that SSS had more than what I thought it was, the machines they had there was too old, the one they were using had stop because of some parts that are too hard to be found. But the program they had used in locating and measuring some thumb marks for the people who are brilliantly making ways to earn money what a heck... They are using the biometrics system; this system enables machines to validate the exact person identified in an ID through systems such as a password or a physical identity, popularly through the use of fingerprints.

What I liked?
I liked the their way of generosity, and warmed welcoming on all of us who had visited their company, specially the food they had serve, even some of us, where sleeping because of the busy schedule which so tiring but still they gave their best shot on showing us the whole facilities and machines they had, specially the program they are using on finding out people who are doing monkey businesses.

What I didn’t like?
I didn’t like the part when we had a forum pertaining to the safety measures of their company when they had two database system for any problem that would come up in time, so that they can have back-up files the answers was too, unprofessionally answered by the speaker when a student asked, What if the two database center would shut down, is there a certain hidden although there were still a big WOW, for the company because I learned a lot of things from the speaker and specially from the company artifacts.
Back to top Go down
http://Vince_18@live.com
kenneth

PostSubject: Fieldtrip and Seminar Programs   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:45 am

On the third day in Manila October 6 Wednesday I visited Advance Science & Technology Institute at C.P. Garcia, UP, Diliman, QC.

I learned about Bayanihan Linux which is the Filipino based desktop because it is made in Philippines. Linux is Unix-like computer operating systems using the Linux kernel. Linux can be installed on a wide variety of computer hardware, ranging from mobile phones, tablet computers and video game consoles, to mainframes and supercomputers and it is also free and open source software completely in its system.

I liked their machines because it is not expensive to buy and it is also useful to our community. Liked the tsunami alarm, it is very useful because it will alarm if there were a coming tsunami.

I also visited the Telecom Training Institute in Valenzuela City.

I have learned about AGILA which is the first Filipino satellite that is being used in telephones. I have also learned about the voice bandwidth which is applied in the telephones and also about the fiber optic wires that is used to speed up the internet connection.

I like their machines and equipment which is made in china even though those equipments are old. But even those equipments are old and still work it is very useful.

Back to top Go down
Ralph Gideon Doron

Ralph Gideon Doron

PostSubject: DAY 3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:50 am

Day 3

I went to a company visit to the Advance Science and Technology Institute in UP Diliman. We went into a room where we were lectured about the projects that the institute had made ad is making in the present. They showed us some products that are helpful in tragic times like the early tsunami alarm. The highlight was the talk about the Bayanihan OS which the institution created. The lecturers were happy to hear that we were familiar about it since we've seen and tried it on our Operating System subject.

They also gave out some souvenirs and giveaways to some of my classmates who have shown much interest and raised questions. We then head to SSS.

We were asked to register then we were given a booklet about the company. We entered to hall for the orientation and presentation about the company. Ms. Tamara Mercado and Ms. Maureen Mamillic were seated in the stage together with some of the board members as we watched and listened to the presentation for us. We were also given the chance to ask about the company's purpose and technical aspects.

We were introduced to some of their representatives who toured us in the production department and the customer service department. We were sent to their museum where some interesting stuffs about the company were found. Then before entering to the id production department, we first met with the manager. He welcomed us and gave us few details about what the company do, what their department do, and the possible things that we might see inside the production room. Then we proceeded to the room where they do some error checking with cases like multiple registration. Then after that, we entered the production room. Inside were number of machines from paper production, to printing, to verification, and sealing.

Then we went to the Customer Service Center where actual clients inquire and asks some assistance about the service that the company offers. It was good thing to have been there because I know that SSS will likely play a part on our lives as professionals in the future.

What I've learned?

On that day, I have learned that SSS uses imported machines from Europe. And in their museum, they even have the old version of calculators and they keep memorabillas of their companies in there. The identification of clients uses biometrics where they use thumbmarks and face recognition. They even do manual checking on multi-registered clients and put them behind bars.

What I liked?

In the UP-ASTI tour, I like that the presentor and us had a common ground to tackle on which is the Bayanihan OS. I like the session wherein the students raised a lot of questions about the said Operating System while the presentor answers them all.

But I have to say that I like the trip in SSS more than in UP. We were warmly welcomed by the company itself. The staffs were so jolly and approachable that we could just ask them about anything in their company. I like it that the SSS really made it up to us since they really prepared an orientation session, snacks, and tour that went very well in the end.

What I didn't like?

I have nothing to dislike on that day. Eyerything for me was fine and that I really have seen a lot even from SSS only, there were lots of machines and things to be amaze and be greatful to have seen it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mydoodlylife.tumblr.com
Cariza Joy A. Ensoy

Cariza Joy A. Ensoy

PostSubject: Day 3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:01 am

Today I went on a company visit to:
DOST-ASTI (Advance Science and Technology Institute) located at C.P. Garcia, UP, Diliman, Quezon City.

What I learned?
There, I met the developers of the Bayanihan OS under the LINUX and I am proud of it. I've also learned the things they added to the newest version of Bayanihan Linux.Seeing their young faces made me realize that small things can really make big things. They also showed us some embedded systems use for detection and prevention of possible damages from earthquakes, tsunami and other environmental causes.

What I like?
I liked how refreshing their faces are even though their work is so stressful (or maybe it’s easy for them).

What I didn’t like?
I didn’t have anything that I haven’t liked.

------------------------------------------

SSS (Social Security System) located at East Avenue, Quezon City

What I learned?
Among the all the visits we’ve made, I think SSS is the best of all. They offered us great venue, great food, great paraphernalia and great tour guides. They shared some videos that told us on what benefits we will get by being a member. After that, we went for a tour around SSS. First we went to the library, then museum, then on the SSS card making area and lastly on the area where people queue to process their concerns.

What I like?
I like everything about the people in the SSS. I also like how they accommodate us. They let us eat and give us a lot of give-aways. They also let us have a peek of seeing their production staff or shall I say office. From there, we saw how they produce and make the SSS card. Having a great accommodation like that of them is such an endearment to us knowing that we had come across the other island and then they treated us so well. I also like their program used in detecting the similarities in each fingerprints that should uniquely owned.

What I didn’t like?
The only thing that I don’t like is that nothing IT- or CS-related things are introduced to us.
Back to top Go down
http://codeeat.blogspot.com
Shirley "df" Reuyan

Shirley

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 4:12 am

Day 3

Today I went on a company visit to Advance Science and Technology Institute C.P.garcia, UP diliman, QC
Social Security System (SSS)

[b]What I learned?

In this company visit, I was so amazed regarding to their high technology devices or gadgets. And take note, people really don’t need big money to buy their tools. According to them their latest invented devices was an environmental device, an early warning system for tsunamis and a field monitoring apparatus. I also raise my two thumbs for them, because of the OS they’ve made, this was called bayanihan linux.

What I liked?
This company is the best, that’s why I liked it. It’s because they’ve made some inspiration to us students, that even young people can make things just like big people do.

What I really don’t like?
I really don’t like their conference room; we are just like a pack of sardines, loaded in one room.

Back to top Go down
Beverly L. Rabaja

Beverly L. Rabaja

PostSubject: Day 3:   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:04 am

Day 3

Today, I went on a company visit to

Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (PLDT), located at Mandaluyong City, in the Technology Training Institute (TTI) which is located at Valenzuela. And later in the afternoon, nearly evening, at Tutuban Center Mall or is commonly known by people as Divisoria where goods and RTW’s are inexpensive and fashionable. As expected, with just small bucks, we can easily fall for many items across the mall. Ready to bring out pasalubong!

What I learned?

In the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Co. (PLDT), at the lobby we are welcomed gracefully as an orientation is ongoing. We are instructed to dress as formal to be able to be respected inside the premise and of course to be like human beings. We are toured into the several rooms of the building and found out new modern technologies at hand which we only see on television, especially the PLDT Landline Plus which can connect neither in landline, mobile phones or another PLDT Landline Plus.

We were also viewed an amazing room of full detail technology, with an automatic or controlled on and off of lights across the room, mini projectors that were connected as one to produce big and more viewable screen, the pay-it-trough-swipe machine. They also explained to us on how the networks are connected beyond signal of communications, on how their transaction works and many more. They also invited us to a seminar wherein network communications are explained and elaborated and at times, we are able to distinguish ourselves having subjects related to that matter.

We are also informed by the history of how PLDT exist through its ups and down through the decades of its existence.

In the Technology Training Institute (TTI), we learned that their equipments are accessible on how they break barriers in the world of telecommunications. It gave me idea how those telephone calls were processed and transferred from place to place. On how they work on trouble shooting, on error detection and many more that concerns communication technicalities errors and on how they worked with the internet connection with that fiber optics thing.

According to what was shown and discussed by the instructor, accessing internet signals pass through that transmitters no matter how far it may be. The range of the adapted signals depends on the capacity of the radio to accommodate.

What I liked?

What I liked is the touring part. I was amazed of the new technology my eyes are seeing that time. It was indeed a great pleasure to be on the main office of the PLDT just to see things out and able to get to know how they contribute a large name to the economy, there are gadgets providing the sense of modern technologies, new improvised landline communication system and automatic or remote-controlled devices which is used and usually be seen in television alone. Neither do I was surprisingly amazed of what we are seeing that time.

What I didn’t like?

What I didn’t like is, every time we come to think of tour, our sleepy heads easily falls and tempt us. Little by little, some of us feel like walking on a dream, or having dream walk because of tired bodies and drowsy senses.

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 310

Last edited by Beverly L. Rabaja on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James Isidro

James Isidro

PostSubject: Day 3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 7:48 am

Day 3
Today I went on a company visit to
Advance Science and Technology Institute (ASTI)
The institute is also located at UP. They conduct scientific research and development in the advanced fields of Information and Communications Technology and Microelectronics. They have the vision that the ASTI shall be among the leading Research and Development Centers in Information and Communications Technology (ICT) and Electronics within the Southeast Asian region. Their mission is that the ASTI in committed to the development of the Filipino society and the Philippines as a nation. They shall contribute to the attainment of national development priorities and the growth of Philippines enterprises by providing innovative solutions using ICT and electronics technology.

What I learned?
I found out that the creators of the Bayanihan operating system was working at the ASTI. We also learned some stuffs about the early warning devices and the likes.
What I liked?
I like the technologies that they have showed to us. It was really helpful to the country especially now that we are facing some weather disturbances.
What I didn’t like?
I think they are not aware that we are going to visit their institution. And also their bathroom made me laugh out loud. If you have gone there, you will know why.
Today I went on a company visit to
Telecommunications Technical Institute
After ASTI there is TTI. This institute can be found at Valenzuela. It is a bit creepy for me because of the very old structure of the buildings. It is like a setting in a horror movie.
What I learned?
Even if the building structures were too old, their facilities and equipments were very expensive! I also learned that their job was really risky. I never thought that those wire that they are crimping were dangerous and might even lead to death!
What I liked?
They really took good care of the equipments. I think they are doing that because of its cost. The speakers really proved to us that they are a virtuoso on the field of telecommunications.
What I didn’t like?
Their buildings it is very quiet. It is like a haunted institute for me.
Back to top Go down
Daisy Jane E. Jabican

Daisy Jane E. Jabican

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 8:18 am

Day 3

PLDT, Mandaluyong City
Telecoms Training Institute, Valenzuela

What I learned?

We went at PLDT, Mandaluyong, this is our first visit today. The first thing that I learn is the meaning of PLDT – Philippine Long Distance Telephone. The name of their company is INNOLAB – Innovation Laboratory and Telecommunications Education Center of PLDT. When we got inside the first topic that is feed to us the “Three Principal of Business Group” which is the Fixed Line, Wireless and Data (Information and Communication). They conduct three activities, first is in the ground floor then business solution and I forgot the third one. Thus, in the Philippines, the PLDT is one of the largest telecommunications provider company.

In the first floor, the assessor explains to us the history of PLDT. The following are the history age of the said company.
• 1939-1948 – age of destruction
• 1949-1958 – age of hope
• 1959-1968 – age of change
• 1969-1978 – age of control
• 1979-1988 – age of revolution
• 1989-1998 – age of gatekeeper
• 1999-present – age of convergence

After the assessment in the first floor. We go upstairs and introduce with a new assessor that will explain to us about the banking and financial institutions by Edmund Mamboyo. He also discussed that they have a networking strategy to communicate and reach out the people in our country. They have different modernization of their products such as Prepaid and Postpaid Services and SmartLoad Distributorship.

Our next company visit is at Telecoms Training Institute, I learned different things about telecommunications. They also show to us their Digital Multiplexer Master Station – they use this for transferring of data from PCM to DMM. They also have Voice Fixed Bandwidth that is being apply in telephones and others like fiber optics and repeaters.

What I liked?

I am really amazed on how the PLDT maintain their services throughout the year and every year is a new age of generation. I liked their old telephones though it is big but amusing. I also like their company structure. I also like the assessor that tours us in their company, they gave us the chance to know and see their facilities and products, their machines and software.
At Telecoms Training Institute, I like their machine and apparatus since they show to us or demonstrate what is all about. I also like the speakers who evaluated us those big machineries and servers.

What I didn’t like?

In the PLDT Company, I don’t like the environment and the unnecessary odor that occur alternatively at any time. And I also don’t like how they organize their machines, for me, it doesn’t fit in the place where they put it.

In the Telecoms Training Institute, I don’t like their environment because it doesn’t meet my expected perception of image. I don’t like their rooms because it is so hot and sometimes a bad odor occurs. Their place is so old to look at, it seems like they doesn’t have any concern about the room appearance.

Back to top Go down
http://www.dheizyjane.weebly.com
Allan Gregor Gepulla

Allan Gregor Gepulla

PostSubject: Day 3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 8:47 am

Day 3
Advance Science & Technology Institute, C.P. Garcia, UP, Diliman, QC
Telecom Training Institute, Valenzuela

What I learned?
First thing I have learned was what does our government is trying to develop. They got there a computer hardware component that could be used with the same basic functions of a mobile phone except for calls; they also made a device for agriculture, the water-level reader thing; there was also a wood moisture reader or whatever they call it; a digital multi-tester… what’s new with this???; they also got there a WiMAX device; and lastly, the Bayanihan Linux. I didn’t realize immediately that we would found Bayanihan’s developers at ASTI. I should have thought of seeing those guys in one of our company visits. Although, I didn’t have any idea that we will be visiting one of DOST’s branch so I guess I got a reason for not thinking it. I forgot to mention, Bayanihan Linux was the one we presented in our final project in our class before, the Operating Systems. The OS is still not that perfectly working. They still need to do major updates but let’s just give them more time. No one’s perfect. I did ask some things about the OS like the screen resolution adjustments, we got problems with that, really. They just said there’s an option for that but I don’t know where.
We went to TTI later that afternoon. They taught us the process of telecommunications signal delivery; I just call it that way. Well the process is the same as what we’ve learned in network technologies but in telecommunication manner. They got there something like switches, optical fiber cables, coaxial cables, routers, repeaters and the end devices. Well, I am not so sure about their technical terms in telecommunications. Anyways, just like I have said, the process is almost the same with the network communications counterpart as what I have understood. I also get to see a set of staplers worth 60,000php to 120,000php each. Those weren’t really staplers; those are for trimming the optical fiber cables. They said those were diamond-equipped trimmers. Trimming the optical fibers is said to be difficult at the beginning and always dangerous. If you got stung by it, you could die after many years. The shattered glass can spread through your circulatory system and if it reaches your heart, it might cause you heart aches… I mean, heart attack. When the engineer gave one to one of us, one that was near me, I was kinda’ freaked out. I’m not afraid to die, but not with that one. They also have a local area network using optical fiber cables, cool. I have also seen the WiMAX device from ASTI at TTI; what a coincidence?

What I liked?
We had a cruise again at UP Diliman. I thought we were lost because we were cruising for too long inside, I guess so. But before that, we were given the time for picture taking at the UP’s oblation statue. I didn’t join there because I’m not a fan of it. We also had a pit stop at their souvenir shop. There were a lot of things to choose from but I’ve only bought a sling not for my self but for a girl that is not really important… just kidding. Visiting ASTI was a good choice for me, not that they have cute programmers over there. I really like the fact that I have met the Bayanihan’s developers or original developers since it was open-source. I’m not sure if how many were really involved on it. They also got a Davaoeña programmer who graduated from University of the Immaculate Conception. It’s not that I’m proud of her (I don’t harbor such things), it’s just that she can talk using our dialect like some of those we met at UP Diliman. Hey?? That place was still in UP Diliman, right? The topics at ASTI are nice. One of their higher ups also allowed me to eat Mobi inside the seminar area. Cool. Although, the truth is, it shouldn’t be allowed.
We also had lunch at Kenny Roger’s. It’s just because that’s the first time I had able to eat there.
TTI got the facilities and equipments for their field. The facilities weren’t really the latest now but at least, they got some. They didn’t mind if we do something fun with their equipments but no one dares to because those were really expensive.
We went to Tutuban later that evening where I bought some stuffs. I got a new pair of shoes there and Lloyd gave me a ring worth 10php. Things out there were as the same prices as what we can see here in Uyanguren, Davao City. They do got more to choose from, though.

What I didn’t like?
I didn’t really mind the simple egg and corned beef breakfast that time. I have wanted to eat something normal. My problem was that I didn’t have the coffee. Geez…
ASTI wasn’t also ready for massive visitors and it caused so much delays. I can’t blame them because they weren’t entertainers. It went well anyways.
At TTI, the place was so hot! I wonder why the place wasn’t fully air-conditioned. Their buildings also looks old or maybe they weren’t able to make it look new because of their equipments. Who wants to make a building filled with very expensive things renovated?
Tutuban was a scary place. Outside, the store owners were almost all men. They might get so aggressive to us. And in fact, some of our classmates got a taste of their aggressiveness.

Back to top Go down
Allan S. Cabusora

Allan S. Cabusora

PostSubject: Day 3 | Field Trip and Seminars   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:01 am

Day 3
October 6, 2010

Today, I went on an institution which was the Advance Science and Technology Institute (ASTI) located inside the University of the Philippines, Diliman. They had presented us several projects that they had. Most of their projects were seems like a nature friendly projects, like detecting if there is incoming Tsunami in a place near at the ocean and more on the hardware works like making a device that can text and call like other cellular phones, but it can’t be used as a modem.
The Bayanihan team, they were the programmer, creator, and developer of the Linux Bayanihan.
Linux Bayanihan, I already had an experience of using this when we had our Operating Systems subject. We are given the chance to ask about the Operating System and answer our problems because in our O.S. subject, we encounter problems when it comes to Bayanihan.
After, we went directly to the SSS or the Social Security System. They showed us a brief presentation as to how they protect and secure the files, the flow of there transaction and the networking of there branches nationwide and other information that they have. After the presentation, they divided us into groups for the tour. They also showed us the machines that they were using before and machines that they were currently using. Also, they showed us how they track and check dual or multiple or even false identities for the SSS accounts and the also showed us how they print and how to process the SSS id’s.

What I like?
ASTI

What I like about visiting ASTI was we were able to discuss our problems when it comes to Bayanhan and I really like there projects, they developed it for a purpose, to help other people not only for them but for the better of the nation.
SSS
I really like the hospitality, among those companies we visited, this company had given us more effort and they serve us delicious SNACKS. I also like there security when it comes to dual accounts of a person and the encryption they used to protect the uniqueness of each person.

What I didn’t like?
ASTI

I don’t have any problem with ASTI; I hoped that they will do more projects.

SSS

I didn’t like in SSS is that showing us there museum, I don’t know why we go there; I didn’t have any idea what is the connection of that in our course, lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Rudy_Comawas_Jr

Rudy_Comawas_Jr

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:05 am

Third day AM.
Today I went to a company visit to ASTI.
What I like?
I like this company because they are inventing new technologies for the good of our country just like for example the earthquake detector.
What I didn’t like?
I didn’t like the facilitators because they are not clearly explaining the essence of their business.
What I learned?
Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI)
Objectives of ASTI:
- To provide an alternative low cost but effective desktop
- To reduce dependence on priority software
- To build national capacity and competence in free and open source software (FOSS).
FOOS Free
- Run the program
- Study and modify the program
- Redistribute copies
- Cost-effective
- Worldwide community support and collaboration
- May be customized and distributed
- Better country
- Complies with known standards
- Prevent under lock-in
- Encourages growth of local software industry
- New graphical installer
Bundled applications
- Internet browser
- Office suite
- Media player
- Email client
- CD and DVD burning
- Image editor
- PDF viewer
- Mozilla Firefox
- Open office
- M player
Embedded systems
- An microprocessor based device with a built-in operating system
Products:
- Turn on pc into an SMS server
- Customizable
- Can communicate with any SMS capable device
Bayanihan Linux:
- Oct. 2001- project culmination
- June 2002- Bl v.1
- February 2003- Bl v.2
- February 2004- Bl v.3
- September 2004- Bl v.3.1

Third day PM.
Today I went to a company visit to SSS.
What I like?
I like the SSS Company because they are serving the people for how many years and the priority of this company is the poor people who cannot sustain their own. The benefits that we can got from SSS are we can loan our own money and we have a pension when we retired in our job.
What I didn’t like?
I didn’t like the company when you have the transaction because it is so very slow and you must undergo a fall in line process due to their lack of facilities.
What I learned?
1970-1983- Centralized computer processing
- Baguio and Dagupan were online
1983-1986- Used other facilities
1986-1992- SSS main office
- Oracle RDIBMS
1992-1996- Loans and pensions are fully computerized by using database information
1997-2003- Duplicate the folder to other location
2003-2009- Centralized all databases member
-Decommissioning of SSS business recovery
Back to top Go down
Mary Claire P. Avila

Mary Claire P. Avila

PostSubject: Day 3    DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:16 am

Today, I went on a company visit to PLDT AND SSS. It was the third day already. Everyone was bothered because of the bus arrangement. Some were exchanged due to some misunderstandings. Well anyways, we first went to PLDT together with bus 1 for our company visit to PLDT. We went to their Innovation Laboratory and Telecommunication Education and Center of PLDT located at Mandaluyong City. As we arrived at the place we first signed a registration form before we walked in. Ms. Annie Ferrer accommodated us when we got inside and we had a short orientation session with her. It was followed by the introduction of PLDT to us. It was all about what PLDT is; the birth and the development of its products and services. We went upstairs for the next session where in we took a peek at some of their working rooms and their board room which was so incredible. It was huge and wonderful. After which we proceed to a room downstairs and had a discussion with Mr. Edmurvo Mamboyo. Subsequently, we ate our lunch then preceded to the next company visit the Social Security Systems. They were so accommodating. As we arrived there we felt special because they are so approachable and friendly to us. We first had a short discussion at their auditorium about the operations of SSS and its benefits and clients. We were also given snacks to eat. Then we went to their working rooms for actual presentation of the machines and technologies they use. It was one of the best company visits we had for the fieldtrip.

What I learned?

*PLDT
As mentioned in the introduction, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) was founded on November 28, 1928. It is the leading telecommunications provider in the Philippines. Through its three principal business groups - fixed line, wireless, and information and communication technology PLDT offers the largest and most diversified range of telecommunications services across the Philippines’ most extensive fiber optic backbone and fixed line, cellular and satellite networks. From year 1928-1938, they called it PLDT’s Age of Birth; from year 1939-1948, the Destruction; years 1949 to 1958 is the Age of hope; Change was named for the years 1959-1968; 1969-1978 the years of Control; from years 1979-1988 was the Revolution where payphones and fax machines were released. From years 1989-1998 was named as Gatekeeper; and lastly 99-Present. I also learned that they use GSM modem for ATM and banking solutions. We also went to their laboratory (testing) speed and board room. They also mentioned about CISCO Unified Communication. On the lecture given by Mr. Edmurvo Mamboyo I learned that Telecommunications came from 2 words Tele means distant and Communications which means exchange of data/info. The early forms of telecommunications are as follows:
• Drums fabricated from the trunks
• Carrier Pigeon
• Smoke Signals
• Semaphore flags
There are also types of Modern Telecom the simplex and the half Duplex. He also cited elements of a telecommunication link such as sender, transmission medium and receiver. The types of sender/ Receiver are voice equipment and data equipment. There are 2 types of transmission medium namely wired and wireless. Wired includes twisted pair, co-axial and fiber optics while wireless contains terrestrial, extra-terrestrial and CMTS. On January 28, 1878 the first commercial telephone exchange was released by George W. Coy. ON March 10, 1891 a stronger switch was introduced by Almon Strowger.

*SSS
SSS provides service for sickness, disability, retirement, maternity and death and funeral. SSS use biometrics where they use thumb marks and face recognition for their clients. They also have large machines for making Identification Cards. They also have a museum that preserves old materials such as old IDS, paintings, Uniform and calculator.

What I liked?
I liked the discussion we had at PLDT and because they also gave us drinks. I liked their board room. During the SSS visit I liked how they accommodated us. It seemed that they gave importance on our visit to their company. We were even able to see their President for IT matters for their company. I liked how they showed to us the machines they use for their technology operations.

What I didn’t like?
I didn’t like how Ms. Annie entertained us because of there were a lot of interruptions. She was busy then and for a while left us at the lobby and for some times she had calls that disrupts her discussion.
Back to top Go down
irelene cosicol

irelene cosicol

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 9:22 am

DAY 3
PLDT (Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company)
In the third day of the tour, we went to PLDT , the leading telecommunications provider in the Philippines. Through its three principal business groups - fixed line, wireless, and information and communication technology - PLDT offers the largest and most diversified range of telecommunications services across the Philippines’ most extensive fiber optic backbone and fixed line, cellular and satellite networks.
What I learned?
Our tour in PLDT was like on SSS in the sense that we stayed their for a long time without having us first introduce ti the IT related or IT division of the company. At first we are just discussing the History of Company, of how they endured the happenings in the country bringing back the history of the Philippines including the wars that at a time made the downfall of the company.
It was about 2 hours of waiting, listening to the busy tour guide before we reach the destination we must already be when the tour started. We went on the fifth floor I guess to have our lecture, it was very exhausting and super tiring but since it was a once in a lifetime tour, I forced myself to be energized.
A prominent person I guess conducted the presentation. The discussion was also interactive and wakening since he made quizzes right after every topic. He first explained to us how their company work, how they provide fast and secure services (voice or non-voice). He also explained the type of network they are using and the clustering of their centers around the Philippines. However, Some of the contents of his presentation were already discussed in school like the OSI model, Networking, IP addressing etc so we didn’t tackled much about them anymore.
What I liked?
I liked the visit in PLDT because of one reason; they never let us use stairs instead their elevators! But aside from that of course I also like the tour accompanied by the one of their employers. She’s so nice that she let use sit on the board of Directors room and experience how to be like a prominent person.
What I didn’t like?
What I didn’t like in PLDT was their accommodation. I expect a lot from them after all the requirements they asked us but they did not met my expectations so I was a bit disappointed.

TTI (Telecom training Institute)
The most unforgettable company we visited was the Telecom training Institute in Valenzuela, all I can remember from this Company was the warm greetings of the environment itself =)!
What I learned?
Among the Company sites we visited, TTi was really a very Technical Company. I could not see any markings of aircon from their place, however, honestly aside from EXIST, this Company was one of my bet also with regards with the aspect of accommodation and lecture. Even though they can’t offer us a cool and good room to stay during the lecture, they never let us down. They discuss everything hands-on! They actually let us see how to connect or remove a jacket of a wire using their super expensive stapler-like tool. They showed us how a packet or signals moved through the wires of a telephone or something. Regrettably, I missed some important points in their discussion since their place was too small to accommodate us all even we already divided ourselves into small groups.
What I liked?
What I like about the visit was the company itself. I think they provide good training to their students as what I did observed during the discussions. And also, I like the way they lectured us. I could say that they were knowledgeable and they were very accommodating as well.
What I didn’t like?
As what I have said, one thing that only lacks from the visit was air-conditioner, aside from that, no more.
Back to top Go down
rancisolanobero

rancisolanobero

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 10:19 am

Day 3, Wednesday
October 6, 2010
Advance Science and Technology Institute
ASTI or Advance Science and Technology Institute is located near UP Diliman. In this visit I was exposed to new machines and equipments and even new software available in their institute.
what I learned..
I learned new products and even software that ASTI has experimented and innovated. Some of the products are widely used and appreciated by most of the consumers. These products were proudly made by ASTI inventors, scientists and specialists. I was able to know new ideas and exposed to new products. ASTI also discusses some of their Embedded Technologies. These embedded technologies offer affordable customizable solution services. Here are those products that ASTI was developed: GSM Data Terminal, PIC wareME Microcontroller Starter Kit, GSM/GPRS Data Acquisition Terminal, Digital Wood Moisture Meter, Digital Multi-Tester, Early Warning System for Tsunami and they even introduce a Linux based Software called BAYANIHAN. These products are used by most consumers today. I was very interested with the BAYANIHAN Software, ASTI has take part of it and to know better, Bayanihan Software was made by a Filipino. This software was an open source group of ASTI. The said software was user friendly and with regards to applications and features, I just like a Windows Software.
Bayanihan Software is considered as FOSS or Free Open Source System, this means that you can study and modify the programs, redistribute copies and make some improvements. Bayanihan Software’s benefits are the following: Cost- Effective, World Community Support and Collaboration, Better Security, Compiles with known Standard, Provides Vendors Lock In and Encourages Growth Of Local Software Industry.
what I like..
I liked their objectives that to provide an alternative low-cost but effective desktop solution for use by the government, schools and SME’s. Reduce dependence on proprietary software, to build national capacity and competence in free and open-source software and etc. They also have products and embedded systems where is many to mention.
What I also like about them is their very heartwarming and very approachable Facilitator of ASTI, they were able to impart all the necessary knowledge to us.
Even though the area was not that big, we were able to accommodate the area and here all those facts that ASTI imparted.
what it do not like..
I think the span of time that we spent in ASTI was short and we never have the chance to tour around there Institute.

Day 3, Wednesday
October 6, 2010
The operation of SSS or The Social Security System was started since 1957 and in that certain year SSS or The Social Security System got only 200 employees. As the goes by Social Security System become more progressive and with regards to number of employees, it rises more and more. SSS help our fellow Filipino in providing jobs and professions.
Today, Social Security System has 4000 employees and 7000 employers. They have also 10 Regional Offices and 160 offices.
what I learned..
Social Security System was much known for their genuine dedication. They also help our fellow Filipinos. They offer programs such as Social Security Programs and Employee Compensation Program. In their services they the following technologies, The Information Technology Driven Service, Electronic Data Interchange Technology, Biometric SSS ID, Text Messaging.
The vision of Social Security System, a business driven and technology based service.
1983-1986 starting operation of SSS
1986-1992 Networking, upgraded technology was installed, Computer Resources (IBM RT)
1992- 1996 Full computerization that ever increasing demands of members
1996- 2003 Implementation of branch online inquiry system, first biometric.
2003- 2009 Internal Web Online, Inquiry System (WNS), the implementation to replace the decommission BOIS.
And with regards to connection to the public, they uses Telco grade Firewall. They also used Windows, Solaris, OS 390 and Linux as their operating System.
what I like..
I enjoy and really like the merienda, I mean the whole seminar of SSS. A heartwarming welcome was being given to us. The area of SSS was very wide. What I also like about SSS is we were able to tour around their office, even in their operations. We went also in their service areas like registering a new ID, offices, and function areas. We were able to meet some of their bosses and have a bit conversation about their operations.
We also have the chance to visit their museum. The area was so fascinating. Behind the success of SSS was being presented from their starting operations of SSS until now. We also get the chance to have a bonding with some of the employees, bosses, our Instructor and Tourist Guide.
In addition I was also happy and really appreciated those mural paintings of SSS. (n_n)
what I do not like..
None so far..
Back to top Go down
leinad09

leinad09

PostSubject: DAY 3 - October 6, 2010   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 10:46 am

Day 3

• PLDT (Philippine Long Distance Telecommunications)
• ASTI (Advance Science & Technology Institute)
• TTI (Telecom Training Institute)

What I learned:
• I learned that we, IT student have great opportunity to be hire in any PLDT branch because they usually need some technical related courses. They have machines developed that are automated and synchronize to the system like the ATM that is automated for the users that is affiliated with PLDT.

• I learned that ASTI makes application/products that is already in market and is very useful for the people that studies related to computer technology. They usually produce embedded technologies like GDAT Data Acquisition terminal, PICME microcontroller kit, GSM data terminal, Digital wood meter, and Digital multimeter. They also discuss their projects like the early warning system for tsunami, PREDICT, and field monitoring system. The developers of Bayanihan Linux OS, also presented their developed OS which is a proud to be Filipino product.

• In TTI, I learned how to use fiber optics in connecting lines that is used in telecommunications, that it is very dangerous in handling such thing. The speakers also discussed the things about LAN networking and what are the processes undergone by the information before it is received by the receiver. They also explained some of the technical machines they have like Digital multiplex masterstation, and the processes like sampling, quantisizing, coding, and the mux.

What I liked:
• I liked the person who toured us around because at his very young age, he already acquires a good position in a great company like PLDT, which makes him one of the best employees. I think he is really smart for accomplishing such thing in his life.
• I liked the speakers of the seminar for they have answered our questions to best that they can. They didn’t show us the whole place but, they have properly explained and discussed the thing that is significant to the tour.

• I liked the speakers/instructors patience to all of us for discussing and sharing the things that he knew and making it to be one of the best tours.

What I don’t liked:
• I don’t like the fact that we were just in a limited time because we need to go to another place so the speaker didn’t have the opportunity to explain further about some topics related to technical solutions.

• I don’t the time given for each batch of students because it is just very short and I guess it needs some time to discuss all subjects that is significant.

• I don’t like the appearance of the building and also some parts of the building as we tour it inside. It is true that they have great machineries but I guess better place is also a plus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Day 3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 10:52 am

Day 3

Today, I went on a company visit to Advance Science and Technology Institute or ASTI at Carlos P. Garcia, UP, DIliman Quezon City and Social Security System or SSS at East Avenue, Quezon City.

What I learned?
Advanced Science and Technology Institute’s vision is to be among the leading research and development centers in Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Electronics and within the south East Asian region. People behind ASTI presented us their research projects. it find me amazing. Their projects are really cool. One of those that I could remember is the tsunami detector and the tree maturity detector. At SSS, I learned the different benefits of being a member of the SSS. They really could give an individual’s life security. I also learned how the SSS card was made and how they use unique codes for each card.

What I liked?
On this day, we had our picture taking at the UP Oblation. Good thing we had the chance to take picture with it. We also had the chance to buy our souvenirs at the university’s souvenir shop. I also like the way the SSS personnel treat us. They are very accommodating. We really felt the warmth as they welcome us nicely. They even gave us snacks. I also like the museum and library tour we had at SSS. There they had collections of SSS cards before and old uniforms.

What I didn’t like?
I’m kind of not in the mood this day because I’m not feeling well. I don’t know why but I’m chilling and I’m having coughs. Oh well, anyway, besides worrying about myself, I did enjoy our activities this day.
Back to top Go down
Katrina Cecilia A. Elid

Katrina Cecilia A. Elid

PostSubject: DAY 3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Day 3
Today, I went on a company visit to Advance Science and Technology Institute in C.P. Garcia, UP Diliman Quezon City. Before we arrived in UP, we had a breakfast in Bellore Restaurant in Examiner Quezon City, besides the Grills and Sizzles Restaurant. In day 3, all of us were energized. I don't know why. Some of us were sleepy. Smile
We arrived around 9:00 in the morning in Advance Science and Technology Institute(ASTI), unfortunately we can't go inside of the room because one batch was already cater of the faculty. So our tour guide decided to go to UP canteen to buy some souvenir. We went to one store which we can buy t-shirt, accessories, jackets, sling and etc. Most of the students bought UP slings and t-shirts. The price is affordable. I bought 3 t-shirts for souvenir. After buying those staffs, we went back to the Advance Science and Technology Institute. One of the speaker talked about the typhoon warning device. What are the things to do when having a typhoon and what are the solutions to prevent it.
After visiting in ASTI, we went to Quezon Avenue in Kenny Rogers to have our lunch. We enjoyed the fried chicken their. We took some pictures in the restaurant.
After lunch, we proced to Social Security System in East Avenue Quezon City. The building was so big. I can't imagine that the building that I saw was the SSS company, compared to SSS Davao the building is so small. The building is so big.
The duties and responsibilities of SSS employee-members are the following: An SSS member should:
1. secure their SS numbers;
2. ensure that they are reported for coverage under the SSS by their employers;
3. pay their monthly share of contributions and ensure that these contributions are remitted to the SSS by their employers;
4. ensure that SSS Form R3’s (Contributions Collection Lists) where their name are included, are submitted to the SSS by their employers;
5. pay their monthly loan amortization, if any, thru salary deduction and to ensure that these payments are remitted to the SSS by their employers;
6. update or correct their personal records with the SSS by submitting a duly filled-up SSS Form E-4 (Member’s Data Amendment) and supporting document/s to avoid delays in the processing of benefit claims; and
7. be conscious of changes and improvements in SSS policies and benefit structure.
Mentioned above are the responsibilities of SSS members. They should follow that simple steps.
After visiting the company, we went to Tutuban Mall, also in Divisoria. But before that, the maynilad tours, the agency instructed us that they will give our meal allowance. We will not longer have our dinner in a restaurant. It's a nice idea to give our meal allowance so that we can have the money. We enjoyed shopping in divisoria. But were afraid if there were snatchers around us. Just kidding. Smile

What I learned?
I learned about their project that involves development of an Open Source based desktop solution called Byanihan Linux (BL) with the end goal of providing the best alternative desktop solutions to the Filipinos. About the typhoon warning device they discussed to us that the PAGASA Interactive Climate and Weather Information Network (PICWIN) project aims to modernize the communications network of PAGASA, expedite the delivery of weather advisory services to the concerned public officials as well as the general public, and provide a platform for Philippine meteorological researchers to develop and adapt various numerical models. In SSS, social security benefits includes sickness, disability, retirement, maternity, and death funeral. Those benefits mentioned were a big help in our lives. We are pretty lucky if we are a member of this system. Pension is a big help, really a big help. Like my grandfather, also my parents.
What I liked ?
I liked the Social Security System convention hall. The place was comfortable. The hall is so big. Like a theater. I liked their presentation. They really explain the rules and policy of the company. They are very secured with their system. I want to have a job in SSS. The facilities especially some guards were very hospitable and some of them came from in Davao City. As we passed by in the corridor, we heard saying a visayan words, I can't remember what the guard told. But it's so amazing when we saw dabawenyo working in that company.

What I didn’t like?
I don't like going to other place specially when we were heading to Tutuban, the traffic can really give you stress! Can consumed time.

my blog:

http://katrinaelid.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Katrina Cecilia A. Elid on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
george_norman_patayon

george_norman_patayon

PostSubject: day 3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:30 pm

Day 3
I went a company visit to: ASTI and TTI
What I’ve learned?
In the morning, we visited ASTI, just beside the UP Diliman Campus. This is a company where they are selling products that they made. They are focused mostly on the needs of the people. They have gadgets like a sensor if a Tsunami was coming. They also have a gadget that is a form of a customized cellular phone on a computer. Their gadgets were great and they continue to study in making other gadgets, but I’ve learned that they had the ideas from the students which were partly disappointing since I thought they were their ideas, but they were great that they made it into a reality.
After they presented to us their products, they showed us a presentation about the Filipino Operating System called the Bayanihan 5. It is a Linux based open operating system, they promoted its software and as what I have noticed they are comparing it to Microsoft, thus I’d say Microsoft is still edgy. Some of their software was already familiar to me since we had a subject last semester titled operating systems.
After our visit in ASTI, we went to TTI. TTI is a company where they focus on networking. They have showed us their equipments and those are really huge equipments.
What I liked?
Like what most company have showed to us. The community in ASTI and TTI are very welcoming and accommodating. I like the way they treat us and I like the way they show us about a lot of things. I learn the most in TTI because it was really discussion and they even have the equipments in which they were able to demonstrate to us what does one equipment do. In ASTI, I really like the speaker of Bayanihan, she is very cute and very welcoming too.
What I didn’t like?
I did not like the first speakers in ASTI because they were not able to answer one of my questions about our upcoming thesis about technopreneurship. I asked them if they could give us a good topic for our thesis but what they did was suggestions on how to promote our business. It was not nice since it was what they are doing in that department and yet they were not able to give use the answers that we needed.
Another thing that I did not like was the temperature. ASTI and TTI is very hot, and I mean it literally especially in TTI. Most of their buildings were not in a well temperature.
Back to top Go down
jeanette vale

jeanette vale

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:32 pm

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)

It was 5am in the morning when I woke up and prepared myself for the company visit on the second day of the trip. It was very unusual for me to wake up that early but I was required to. So, I have no other choice. We went to PLDT during the morning and TTI during the afternoon.

What I learned?
I leaned about the fast growing population of the PLDT staffs, their annual net income, their products, services and technologies offered. Unfortunately, we were not able to take snapshots of what was inside because we were restricted to. On the other hand, during the afternoon, we went at TTI. Honestly, I found the atmosphere there not convenient and properly ventilated to the point that I would ask myself, “What are we doing here?” Well, maybe because I was on my formal attire. But, as the discussion went through, they proved me wrong about my first impression. They presented technical paraphernalia and equipments which you would never thought it was very expensive.

What I liked?
At PLDT, since they were strict of the number of visitors allowed to enter their establishment, we were very fortunate for being chosen and given the chance. Actually I boasted it to my friends Very Happy. During the evening, we went at Tutuban mall. In there, my tiredness really vanished because I found lots of very affordable stuff suited for my souvenirs.

What I didn’t like?
I didn’t like a point of the trip when I was never comfortable. The drowsiness was replaced with inconvenience. I found myself wondering what made me excited about the trip when all I could get were these.
Back to top Go down
Jennifer Conta

PostSubject: Day 3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 3:28 pm

Today, I went to a company visit to ASTI or the Advanced Science and Technology Institute located inside UP Diliman campus in Quezon City in the morning and in the afternoon we went to SSS or the Social Security System of the Philippines also located at Quezon City in East Avenue.
ASTI Embedded Technologies is the result of an initial test bed of the Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI) to accommodate the increasing demand for dynamic software and embedded hardware designs for ASTI projects. Today, we have evolved as a significant arm in developing innovative solutions and providing services on embedded space.

Its mission is to seek to become the leader in research and development in the areas of embedded systems, wireless communication, and advanced networking technologies and applications by creating simple, cost-effective, and value service solutions for today's embedded challenges and taking responsibility with uplifting local enterprise by providing innovative solutions using ICT and electronics technology. We had speakers from different projects that the ASTI had made, namely the Embedded Systems, Bayanihan Linux OS and Tsunami Alarm.

SSS or the Social Security System (SSS) is an agency which is created to establish a social security protection to workers in the private sector, wage earners as well as self-employed persons. It is implemented in accordance with the Republic Act 1161, better known as Social Security Act of 1954.
Of all the companies, SSS gave us the warmest welcome compared to the previous we have visited. We had a lecture about their system that was almost like a seminar held in the Magsaysay hall, if I’m not mistaken, a large hall. We were also given pamphlets and snacks. After the lecture we had a tour on their building. Our first stop was at the SSS Museum and Library. The staff and the people there are very friendly. The next stop was at the SSS ID Card production Center. We really had a close encounter with the machines that they used. Our last stop with the tour on SSS was the building where they entertain SSS potential and existing members. They oriented us on the processes a member should follow to be accommodated for the services they needed.
What I learned?
I learned about their project that involves development of an Open Source based desktop solution called Byanihan Linux (BL) with the end goal of providing the best alternative desktop solutions to the Filipinos. About the typhoon warning device they discussed to us that the PAGASA Interactive Climate and Weather Information Network (PICWIN) project aims to modernize the communications network of PAGASA, expedite the delivery of weather advisory services to the concerned public officials as well as the general public, and provide a platform for Philippine meteorological researchers to develop and adapt various numerical models. In SSS, social security benefits includes sickness, disability, retirement, maternity, and death funeral. Those benefits mentioned were a big help in our lives. We are pretty lucky if we are a member of this system. Pension is a big help, really a big help. Like my grandfather, also my parents.
What I liked ?
I liked the Social Security System’s warm welcome to us. The place was comfortable. The hall is so big. The facilities especially some guards were very hospitable and some of them came from in Davao City. As we passed by in the corridor, we heard saying a visayan words, I can't remember what the guard told.
What I didn’t like?
I don't like the traffic which consumed our time.

Back to top Go down
michaelobero

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 4:58 pm

Today, I went on a company visit to...
We went to visit Advance Science and Technology institute at C.P, Diliman, QC and Social Security System at East Ave. QC.

Embedded Technologies

What I’ve learned?
I’ve learned that they are using Embedded System which is a microprocessor-based device with a built in operation system. I’ve also learned that they are developing technologies that are much cheaper and customizable than the other technologies that are existing nowadays. I notice that most project of the Embedded Technology team are mostly for the improvement of our industry like weather monitoring and other technologies.

What I like?
I like the technologies they developed like:
• GSM Data Terminal
• PICME Microcontroller Starter Kit
• GSM/ GPRS Data Acquisition Terminal
• Digital Wood Moisture Meter
• Digital Multimeter

I also like their passion in developing this kind of technologies that are really a big help nowadays.

What I didn’t like? I’m quite unsatisfied in Embedded Technologies at ASTI because we didn’t saw their projects and the technologies that they developed that is now out in the market for the reason that we lack of time
Bayanihan Linux

What I’ve learned?
I’ve learned that Bayanihan Linux team is providing best alternative with low cost but effective desktop solutions for everybody. I’ve also learn that Bayanihan linux Operating Systems are made by Filipino team and now they have their latest version of Bayanihan Linux 5 which is their latest version of Bayanihan Linux Operating System. Previous Version of Bayanihan are:
• Bayanihan Linux Version 1- which is out last June 2002
• Bayanihan Linux Version 2- which is out last Feb 2003
• Bayanihan Linux Version 3- which is out last Feb 2004
• Bayanihan Linux Version 3.1- which is out last Sept 2004
• Bayanihan Linux Version 4- which is out last Nov 2006
• Bayanihan Linux Version 5- the latest version as of now

What I like?
I like the Operating System they produces and develop even if it is my first time to hear and saw that kind of Operating System, because we always stick to windows made by Microsoft Company. I and most people would really like their Operating systems because it is user friendly, customizable if you like, freeware or downloadable for it has free downloads from the internet. I also like the User Interface and other features of it.

What I didn’t like?
What I didn’t like in the bayanihan linux is that their answers are inconsistent. i also don’t like the time we spent is too short.

Social Security System

What I’ve learned?
What I have learn from the company visit we have at Social Security System is that this year the Social Security System and Land Bank of the Philippines recently signed a memorandum of Agreement (MDA) allowing the latter to release salary loans of Social Security System members through the bank facilities as an alternative means of getting their loans aside from the usual mailed check. I’ve also learned that the Social Security System has implemented new ID System for better Security.

What I like?
• I like the benefits they offer for their customers.
• I like the security of the company for protection purposes from the hackers that attempting to enter to main of the SSS
• I also like the way security membership they offer in their customers which is the UMID or the Unified Multipurpose ID System.

What I didn’t like?
So far I have no problem encounter as we visit at Social Security System because the tour was satisfying and they also answered all questions consistently.

Back to top Go down
merafe hangad

merafe hangad

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 5:04 pm

Day 3 (October 6, 2010)

Today, I went on a company visit to...
PLDT Company InnoLab or the Innovation Laboratory and Telecommunication and Education Center is our first company we visited in this day which is located at Boni Avenue, Mandaluyong City Manila. Before we got there, we encountered a bumper to bumper traffic somewhere in Quezon City area. So, we take a nap for a while on the bus while waiting for us to arrive to our destination.
On the afternoon, I transferred out from the bus 1 move to the bus 4 for me to go the Social Security System (SSS) Company together with the student who didn’t yet visit the SSS. It is located at the 2/F Magsaysay Hall, East Avenue, Diliman Quezon City.

What I learned?
The Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) was founded on November 28, 1928 they called it as the Age of Birth. PLDT is the leading telecommunications provider in the Philippines. Through its three principal business groups - fixed line, wireless, and information and communication technology - PLDT offers the largest and most diversified range of telecommunications services across the Philippines’ most extensive fiber optic backbone and fixed line, cellular and satellite networks. Their company has so many ages like: Age of Destruction (1939-1949), Age of Hope (1949-1958), Age of Change (1959-1968), Age of Control (1969-1978), Age of Revolution (1978-1988), Age of Gatekeeper (1989-1998) and the Age of Convergence (1999- present). The PLDT innolab was established in 2003. I find out also that the first single chip microprocessor was first announce in 1971 and changed the world. I discovered that they use a cloud networking for their telecommunication.

In the Social Security System, I gain knowledge from their company that they are highly computerized and use a standard technology for their company. Whereas they use a biometrics for their employee’s ID to validate the exact person identified in an ID. They started on computerization on 1970-1973 and fully computerized on 1992-1996 and use BIOS (Branch Online Integrity System) for their system.

What I like?

I appreciate the friendliness and approachable employee both on the PLDT and SSS Company. They tour us around their company and introduce their machines and as well as the system they using for company. Even though they are tired of walking around and facilitate a large number of student but still they are ready and have smile on their face at the end of our tour and explore their business. I like also that they provide snack for us.

What I didn’t like?

It made my tummy hungry and bored while we on the presentation of Mr. Edmund Mamoyo because he ended his presentation late noon already. We are so very hungry at that time and so tired listening at him even though his topic is quite interesting because he discuss and introduce us the network topology of the PLDT and the different transmission medium of their company. He seems like a teacher or an instructor that discusses his lesson for the whole semester for us for just 2 hours.

I don’t see any dullness at the SSS Company because they treat as well there maybe it’s the distance between the place where they about to introduce to us and showing their new technology which they are using.
Back to top Go down
Niño Odlazir Matidios

Niño Odlazir Matidios

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Third Day *
On the third day of our filed trip, in the morning we had visited Advanced Science and Technology Institute which located in C.P Garcia , UP, Diliman, Quezon city. And in the after was in SSS company which Social Security System, at East Avenue Quezon City. Advanced Science and Technology Institute is a Research and Development Institute they conduct scientific research and development in the advanced fields of Information and Communications Technology and Microelectronics.
What I learned?
In Advanced Science and Technology Institute, we had a seminar on which the speakers tell us something and introduced their products and solutions like the Remote Monitoring Platform which is customizable and flexible platform for data logging applications through wireless network based on Global Systems for Mobile Communication or GSM that provides a complete data acquisition solution when paired with the GSM data terminal for real-time data monitoring and graphical analysis of measurement readings from different types of sensors (e.g. temperature, pressure, humidity etc.), Their Software like Bayanihan Linux and Embedded System.
What I liked?
I like the way the speakers discuss what we needed to hear. The topic that they had discussed was really related to our field. And It was very Interesting.
What I didn’t like?
I think there is nothing to dislike because I’ve learned a lot and the speakers did their job well.

On the afternoon, we visited Social Security System (SSS) agency.

What I learned?
Social Security System (SSS) is an agency which is created to establish a social security protection to workers in the private sector, wage earners as well as self-employed persons. I learned how the agency helps the nation through their efficient and good services. In related to our field the speaker discussed us about their security in information of the clients and their systems. What they are used and how they implement it.

What I liked?

The things that I liked when we visit SSS was their warmed welcome, their services that they had introduced to us and the advices that they had said. It was very interesting, as we tour in their offices and laboratory. I like also their little museum, it was also very interesting to see their old hardware and ID that they used.

What I didn’t like?

I’ve enjoyed visiting SSS and I learned a lot therefore nothing to disliked.

click to redirect to my blog
http://icanrabbit.com alien

Back to top Go down
michael anthony jandayan

michael anthony jandayan

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 28, 2010 1:41 pm

Day 3

Today, I went on a technical visit to

What I learned?
I have learned of the different embedded systems that are purely made by our homegrown I.T professionals. These includes an instrument used to test the moisture content of a wood, the tsunami early warning device system, and the PCI extension that could give your personal computer SMS functionality. I also got to know more about the nationalistic operating system, “Bayanihan”.

What I liked?
Aside from the cute woman, who presented and lectured about the “Bayanihan” operating system, I liked the experience of meeting the people behind the OS which we chose to present during our operating systems subject in the not too distant past. Also, it is nice to know that there are people in our country who are sensible and intelligent enough to be able to make use of technology to address concerns pertaining to the welfare of our country.

What I didn’t like?
If we discount the lack of air-conditioning system in the closed room where the presentations were held, there is nothing else to be disappointed about.

Social Security System

What I learned?
I learned that the SSS uses two mirror servers in its operation. It means if one server is down the network will still be up and running. This is somewhat a case of real-time backup system. I have also learned that they aren’t the one producing their membership card nowadays. They have indulged into outsourcing the process to other company.

What I liked?
Their accommodation was really first class. With all the freebies, the mouthful snacks, and the event location, it was definitely a perfect ten.

What I didn’t like?
I guess it has got to be the very long video presentation about the operations of the SSS. How to become a member; what are the benefits, and stuffs like that. It was totally boring and I couldn’t help but squeak a quick nap.
Back to top Go down
Wilkin_Simo

Wilkin_Simo

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 29, 2010 12:43 pm

Today I went on a company visit to Advance Science and Technology Institute (ASTI). ASTI conducts scientific research and development in the advanced fields of Information and Communications Technology and Microelectronics.
I have learned that there are different person here who is doing some research and development for making the life of the people here in the Philippines will be easier. One of the developments that they present to us is the Tsunami detector. This detector will help the people near the coastline area to be able for them to be ready in case there would be a possible tsunami to occur. Also they presented their Digital Multimeter. This is a handheld digital multimeter (DMM) is the most common of all electrical and electronic test instruments. This portable test instrument is capable of handling various electrical measurement such as AC/DC voltage, current and resistance measurement and other added features that make this device a true "multi" meter.
One of the speakers also introduced to us their other development which is the Bayanihan Linux. They were the one who develop this kind of operating system. This is the first OS made by the Filipino.
The ASTI is divided into different groups. These were only the group that they introduce:
-Embedded Systems
-Bayanihan Linux Terminal Server (BLTS) Project
I like ASTI since they are giving us specific information about their research as well as the accommodation on us were good. They are prepared on their presentation which made me listen more attentively.
The thing that I don’t like in ASTI is nothing. Why should I dislike ASTI? They just give me great information specially on the Bayanihan OS where those information can be use by me for my Operation System subject next semester.

The next company that we visit after ASTI is The Social Security System. This a non-organization group where it gives people insurances. While I was visiting this company, I have learned on their computer system side. They have a system where they can detect people that do have a multi-identity by the use of their thumb mark. I’m not really sure on the information that I get but they are now implementing a system where all of their client must have a thumb mark on their profile. They have also tour us on their machine that creates all of the id’s of their clients. But Unfortunately the machine now is non-operating for some reason. They also tour us on their museum and their library.
This is the company that I really like while we are having our fieldtrip. Why? Because, they are all prepared. They give us a great location for the discussion and were like having a seminar. Also they give us snacks and a name tag.
For me you can’t say that you won’t like to have a field trip in SSS since the first batch who had tour there was saying that it is a great company to have a visit.
Back to top Go down
http://willspat.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2