USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client

Go down 
+9
charmaine anne quadizar
Karren D. Adarna
Ronic.Concepcion
ronie_biloy
George Dan Gil
Flodey Joyce Sanico
John Deo Luengo
Cherryannmontejo
Sherwin S. Gaum
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Sherwin S. Gaum

Sherwin S. Gaum

eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client Empty
PostSubject: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 1:47 am

A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server.

A thin client as a device is designed to provide just those functions which are useful for user-interface programs. Often such devices do not include hard disk drives, which may become corrupted by the installation of misbehaved or incompatible software, but instead, in the interests of low maintenance cost and increased mean-time between failures (MTBF) the thin client device will use read-only storage such as a CD-ROM, Network Virtual Drive or flash memory.
Ideally the user will have only a screen, keyboard, a pointing device (if needed) and enough processing power to handle display and communications. Numerous companies develop and market these devices.

With this idea, through virtualization, the power consumption of computers in our virtual library or e-lib will be minimized. It does not have an operating system. It passes all the queries to the server, that’s why it uses small amount of power than common desktop computers. It has minimal of both hardware and software.Thus, it reduces electronic wastes due to its minimal parts. It could be also a solution to lessen the burden of the university with regard to disposing obsolete computers. Since it has minimal hardware parts, it has lesser maintenance cost than the other computers.

It is Eco-friendly, energy efficient, and shall we say budget-friendly (has minimal cost).. and that's it..

I can hardly think of a better title for this topic but I guess the idea is clearly stated.

Just comment on my idea.. just feel free.. thanks!

Back to top Go down
Cherryannmontejo

Cherryannmontejo

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 9:28 pm

hmmmm..you really need to visit and read my proposed topic since i am the one to comment here..

i think we have the same idea but yours focuses on minimization of the power consumption in virtual library..

this one is also great.. cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://authenticallyblack.blogspot.com/
John Deo Luengo

John Deo Luengo

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 8:56 pm

nice idea...

it was actually presented in COMMDAP...

good luck...
Back to top Go down
Flodey Joyce Sanico

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 12:02 am

naunhan ko ni deo duh!tsk3x...

anyway,is this a proposal that our library should use thin clients?whats the goal of your research? scratch peace she...
Back to top Go down
Sherwin S. Gaum

Sherwin S. Gaum

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 2:55 am

Flodey Joyce Sanico wrote:
naunhan ko ni deo duh!tsk3x...

anyway,is this a proposal that our library should use thin clients?whats the goal of your research? scratch peace she...

my goal/s or objective/s? it is clearly stated, to utilize or utilizing the virtual library, in the title. utilization means to use it in a more intelligent manner or using it wisely. By means of having a energy efficient, low cost of maintenance and labor, saving up resources, etc; we could utilize our virtual library.

It is not all about thin clients but it deals also with the network system architecture being used among thin clients. basically thin clients are intended for client-server architecture because if we put it on standalone, the essence of having or developing such technology would be compromised.

What we have seen during our seminar, their thin clients product, is not the only thin client product in the market today. If the university have no plans of having or purchasing it, we could still have some remedy for this but i intend not to give the full details of it. For the meantime, My focus of utilizing the virtual library is all about thin clients and its network system architecture.

Furthermore, we could achieve more of its benefits or advantages if we apply this system architecture. Like what i have stated, it could be a very big help on the advocacy of green computing. COMDDAP's seminar on thin clients really helped me on educating you or giving you an idea about thin clients. thanks!

My topic is always a subject for revisions, so help me guys.. thanks!
feel free to leave a comment, i'l be glad if you really do I love you
Back to top Go down
George Dan Gil

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 2:59 pm

Yes...this research has a good output i think!!! since you dont have to implement it...this would be easy cause it really helps a lot in our community as in the seminar introduced it...
Back to top Go down
ronie_biloy

ronie_biloy

PostSubject: remainder?   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyFri Jul 03, 2009 6:33 pm

maybe that is a good topic but compare to mine thats is a little bit easy..jeje jowk...
Back to top Go down
Ronic.Concepcion

Ronic.Concepcion

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 9:41 am

Two thumbs up ...that's all i can say ... you explained your topic very well ... ^_^
Back to top Go down
http://www.mylair.tk
Karren D. Adarna

Karren D. Adarna

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptySat Jul 04, 2009 2:19 pm

i am not having a hard time understanding your goal since i was able to attend the discussion about thin clients during COMDdAP..

in fact, i was really thinking of it being applied in our own library..

since you have it in your study, i wish you luck if this will be approved my our instructor..

do your best to convince them that this idea is great..!!
Back to top Go down
charmaine anne quadizar

charmaine anne quadizar

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 3:20 pm

very well done!....I already heard about that in COMDdAP.. and it is a nice idea..goodluck..
Back to top Go down
http://www.charmisme.blogspot.com
angel mae b. brua

angel mae b. brua

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 3:24 pm

nice bitaw ang paggamit sa thin client. I have heard this product during comdapp. Its nice to have this in our university.. naa lang pud unta sa nodal.. ajejeje.. i hope na matugunan ug pansin ang imong topic. like what the speaker said about during the seminar, makatipid man siya basis on the lifespan of the unit. and ayos man talaga siya.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gelaneam.blogspot.com
JADE MIJARES

JADE MIJARES

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 3:28 pm

if you are proposing the use of thin-clients for our library then this includes also proposing to use a real server, not just a desktop PC converted to a serer, right. as i see it if you do not include the server in your proposal then the result would be server log because all the thin clients would be accessing your Desktop Server.

pero baka naman mali ung assumption ko.... mag work parin ba yan kahit na Desktop PC lang ung gamitin for the server?
Back to top Go down
ymrebmomville

ymrebmomville

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 3:55 pm

the topic is nice if ma pursue jud... and ma implement jud.. it can help our department or even our school... hehehe
Back to top Go down
http://freedailyarticles.com/
Jonel Amora

Jonel Amora

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 3:24 pm

hihih...the topic specific, nice in a way that it aims to help our own school and if this research will have a very good output maconvince guro ang skul na mag thin client. And timely pud xa na topic since naay budget cut na nahitabo karon sa skul sayang lang if maimplement xa..dili na nato maabtan..hihi Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://jdamora.blogspot.com/
Sherwin S. Gaum

Sherwin S. Gaum

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 7:50 pm

Thanks to all who have gave their compliments to my proposed topic.
I highly appreciate those people who gave sympathy to my topic and for those who have not given their sympathy yet, just feel free to give one.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sherwin S. Gaum

Sherwin S. Gaum

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 10:33 pm

JADE MIJARES wrote:
if you are proposing the use of thin-clients for our library then this includes also proposing to use a real server, not just a desktop PC converted to a serer, right. as i see it if you do not include the server in your proposal then the result would be server log because all the thin clients would be accessing your Desktop Server.

pero baka naman mali ung assumption ko.... mag work parin ba yan kahit na Desktop PC lang ung gamitin for the server?

MY ANSWERs:

As what I have said, thin clients would be meaningless without servers. They are really intended for server-client architecture. Servers complement thin clients, which I think is an absolute fact.

We have had discussions already about the issue with regard to servers, desktop servers, etc but I have to discuss it here as well for others sake.

Desktop PCs have gone far that anyone could ever imagine in terms of capability, speed, etc.
Nowadays, the advent of multi-core processors has been a major factor of the advancement of computer technology. It gives desktop PCs much power that could reach, in terms of processing speed, the capability of a common server. Desktop PCs with server-like specs pertains to Low-End-Servers. In terms of price, it is most likely similar to common PCs.

About the server log issue, it is most likely impossible to happen because of High Capacity Servers and thin clients network architecture, which does not entirely pass all the processes to servers. Thin clients have processor also and it does not entirely dependent to servers. It has network protocols, like virtualization, that are different compare with common desktop network architecture. It has other protocols that give pro-active remedy to network congestion or network traffic. Network Operating System and Thin Client Operating System could solve server log issue. However, server log might be possible if the system has a poor networking architecture.

In fact, a High-End Server could handle up to 700 thin clients. (Source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client#Client.2Fserver_protocols)

I just want to have an in-depth research on utilizing the virtual library through thin clients, which I think could be greener than the current system.
I just want to show the good things that it might bring when it is being implemented in our virtual library without compromising other aspects of the system.
Simulation could be a tool for gaining insights and testing for my proposed topic.

Thanks for the question jade.. ok na bah? hehe.. ^_^
Basketball afro
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client   eLIB-You: Utilizing Virtual Library Through Thin Client Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1