USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)

Go down 
+71
Lynneth C. Llemit
Michael George Guanzon
karl philip abregana
Jevelyn Labor
Venus Millena
emilio jopia jr.
Michelle Adlawan
amielou.falcon
Edsa Fe Esio
joverly gonzales
Jovanne Nick Cacayan
athina alorro
Tanya Clarissa G. Amancio
IK
Karen Palero
felix a. sumalinog jr.
JerusalemAlvaira
kate karen rasonable
Anthony Rigor Aguilar
Jovylin O. Sandoval
Russel John Serrano
alma cabase
mae m. mara
desiree
Marren Pequiro
basith_jumat
Roy Cuevas
AlyssaRae Soriano
janraysuriba
Jan Neil Enanoria Gador
Jezreel Jyl P. Hilado
Norena T. Nicdao
Stihl Lhyn Samonte
Jethro Alburo Querubin
John Paul Pulido
Sheila Capacillo
vanessa may caneda
Dolorosa G. Mancera
jojimie
rowell_pines
carla comoda
John Cesar E. Manlangit
florenzie_palma
♥ilyn_mapalo♥
fatima paclibar
Alfredo V. Ala-an
sharlyn joy pines
Joseph Ethel Valdez
jerald jean pullos
rosemie nunez
Ma.AnnKristineTomada
Marlie E. Sisneros
neil rey c. niere
brian c. namuag
Gleizelle Jen Dieparine
aeros salaga
juvilynconsejo
mayraflordurango
charmaine_dayanan
creza_jill_bulacito
shane sacramento
Franz Cie B. Suico
ailaine adaptar
Chris Romarate
Fritzielaine A. Barcena
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo
kristine_delatorre
Shiela Marie P. Nara
Ariel Serenado
Maria Theresa F. Rulete
eyesee
75 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
eyesee

eyesee

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Empty
PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:35 am

Post here ... 1000 words
Back to top Go down
Maria Theresa F. Rulete

Maria Theresa F. Rulete

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 9:15 pm

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comddap-davao

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Member_nexus

Last July 02, 2009 at 1:00pm, we went to the Apo View Hotel to witness an exhibit on different technology products and to attend a seminar on different organizations that was organized by the Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines (COMDDAP).

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 7531

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) IMG_7354

First presenter was Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated. He had talked about Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERICDMS) Brilliant Dealer Management System which involves car dealerships and service transactions. Though I can’t relate on the topics, I still had taken notes and listen to the facts that he had discussed. Jupiter Systems, Inc. is a 24- year old software company and one of the members of the ERP systems of the Philippines. Mitsubishi, Honda, Mazda, Volvo, and Nissan are some of the car companies that are using their system. Their Database Management Systems process flow starts with the pre-sales, then the vehicle sales and last is the after sales. The Jupiter Systems’ has also Service Management General Features which are the following:

1. Advance bookings or Customer appointments
2. Operation maintenance or FLAT rates
3. Repair orders
4. Repair Estimates
5. Customer Service History
6. Technician Time-in or Time-out
7. Parts requisitioning and picking
8. Service invoicing
9. Warranty claims and processing
10. Field Service Actions(Campaigns)

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Hp

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) IMG_7374

Next presenter was Leonard Zapa, a Market Deveopment Manager of HP Company. He had discussed about Linux, CE, and XPe and the following topics below:

Key Growth Drivers

 1. Data security, reliability, easier
 2. Management
 3. Remote PC alternatives
 4. Virtualization
 5. Lower TCO
 6. Broadband and related

Challenges for IT Professionals

1. Provide information security
2. Deployment and maintenance
3. Total cost of ownership (TCO)

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 07thinclient-t5530

He had talked about a particular product, the thin client, which is a computing device without a hard drive and can be used independently. Some of its features are the following:

 1. Enhanced security
 2. Easy manageability
 3. High reliability
 4. Environment – friendly
 5. Lower overall costs

Some of the advantages of purchasing it are:

 1. Hardened embedded OS
 2. Free Management Tools
 3. ¼ failure rate
 4. 10x higher MTBF
 5.Longer life
 6. ONSITE, Whole unit replacement
 7. Up to 80% lower power
 8. Space saving
 9. Reduced (by 75%) foam and board (by 40%) packaging
 10. Minimal heat
 11. Lower initial hardware

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Rmsbox

The third presenter had discussed about Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System. This was the shortest presentation on the 4 seminars I’ve encountered. The following are the notes I have taken on that presentation.

Key Benefits:

1. Streamline operations
2. Improve profit margins
3. Build customer loyalty
4. Manage business, not technology
5. Have a life outside your business

The 2 modules:

1. Individual Stores
2. Head Office/Lead Store

RMS Key Features:

 1. Inventory control and tracking
 2. Purchase orders
 3. Pricing, sales, and promotions
 4. Sales Tracking
 5. Powerful, flexible reports

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Red-hat-invests-in-jaspersoft

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Member_spinweb

The last presenter had talked about the Open Source for Business Applications of the Spinweb Productions, Incorporated. When we think of the word open source, the thins that come to our mind are source code, free, open, contributor, free license, etc. Open Source is not a Free Software. Free Software has the 4 freedoms which are:

0. run
1. study
2. copy
3. improve

The benefits of using open source applications are:

 1. reliable
 2. widely used
 3. highly scalable
 4. proven performance

They had also given us some websites such as lullabot.com, joomlapolis.com, joomla.org.ph, and openwp.org.

I was so happy having an opportunity like this and it was my first time to join that kind of seminar and to witness an IT exhibit and above all, it was my first time to be on Apo View Hotel. LOL. Though the topics are more technical and it was hard for me to understand everything, I was still considering it as one of the most amazing experience in my life, to meet high level people in the field of Information Technology. It was during the 2nd presentation that became so interesting because of the prices that are to be given on the Question and Answer portion after. One of my classmates got the price of a 2-gig USB and a t-shirt from HP. Before the seminar, we had gone to the exhibit hall where different products were displayed and sold. I was so interested on the products that I was sure if I have money on that time, I would surely buy everything I wanted there. LOL.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) IMG_7455

My Blog: http://etelur.blogspot.com/2009/07/comddap.html

lol! study What a Face

Last edited by tere_etelur on Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:11 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Ariel Serenado

Ariel Serenado

PostSubject: my COMDDAP Experience...   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 9:54 pm

A Glimpse to the COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009............

COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES (COMDDAP)
held an Expo last June 2-4, 2009 at The Apo View Hotel, Davao City.

In line with this event, let's first review some information about COMDDAP. Its objectives, Visions, and its function as an organization.

COMDDAP.......

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies.

http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

COMDDAP Aims...

* Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
* Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
* Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
* Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
* To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
* Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
* Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

COMDDAP Visions...

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

COMDDAP as an association...

COMDDAP counts among its achievements the holding of the Annual COMDDAP exhibit, more popularly known as the COMDDAP EXPO, which has become a consistent crowd drawer and has in itself set new records in terms of the quality of exhibit area, exhibitors, visitors, and venues. In fact, COMDDAP EXPO in 1999 marked the first exhibit to have adapted an upgraded booth shell schemes. COMDDAP has also pledged to protect its members in addressing the growing issue of software piracy, a practice that has affected and stunted the growth of the local software industry, as well as the country's trade relations with other countries .In pushing this, COMDDAP has expressed its full support in the local manufacturing of DOS at an affordable price and with after-sales support, as well as launching a massive educational campaign.

I was there...

Now, let me share my great experience during the COMDDAP EXPO 2oo9 last June 2. Upon joining the said Expo we had ourselves registered as there were limited seats only. Besides, we are asked to attend the said expo since we are MIS and HRM students. At the vicinity of the Grand Ballroom of the Apo View where expo was held around 1 pm, there will exhibits held; many computer dealers joined the event, before we proceed to the TECH SESSIONS we visited most of the booths where exhibitors displayed their products related to technology. There were even freebies given by some exhibitors which we enjoyed. Some of the exhibitors were, Canon Marketing Philippines, SMART(smart prepaid kit, sandbox), etc. Indeed, it is a good experience having attended the COMDDAP expo, its there where you can see the top computer industries and dealers in the Philippines and maybe in abroad. After visiting the booths, we proceed to the TECH SESSIONS, as there are many topics to be discussed by the exhibitors. We were expecting that most of the visitors are professionals, to my surprise the room was occupied by the students and most are from USeP, other came from Ateneo de Davao University, some are web developers, and some are IT professionals

Series of discussions were delivered such as Jupiter Systems for ERIC Dealership Management Systems, Microsoft Dynamic Retail Management Systems, HP Philippines for HP Thin Client and Open Sourcing. DMS or Dealership Management Systems is an end-to-end solution for auto dealers. Some of the auto dealers that used this kind of solution are, Honda, Nissan, Mercedes Benz, Ford and many more. The exhibitor centered his discussions on the key features of the DMS, vehicle sales administration, system supports sales and of new and used vehicles includes inventory and vehicle purchase. These are just some of the key points to consider during the discussion on Dealership Management System. After which was the Question and Answer portion, there were questions raised from some of the professionals and one from the students.

For the HP, it was Leonard Zapa, Market Development Manager/Remote Client Solutions/Personal Systems Group, who took up the discussions for the Thin Client. Generally, a Thin Client is a computing device without a hard drive, which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PCs or virtual desktop. Everybody was amazed and became interested with the said
device, it offers a lot of key features that anyone is looking for. Indeed, the device was ideal to use and very convenient for task workers. After which was the Question and Answer portion again, everybody enjoyed because of the freebies given by Mr. Leonard Zapa, such as flash drives and t-shirts exclusively from HP Philippines; one of my classmates won a flash drive and a t-shirt. The discussion was ended with a quote from Leonard Zapa that goes, "Think Big, Go Thin".

For the third one, its all on Microsoft Retail Management System. The exhibitor noted the RMS's key features, such as Inventory Control and Invoicing, purchase Orders, Pricing and Sales Marketing. The discussion was centered on the key benefits of the Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System such as, Streamline Operations, Improve profit margins, Build customer loyalty, Manage business NOT technology.

During the discussion on OPEN SOURCING, a foreigner had shared his thoughts on open sourcing and proprietary software and his views regarding the automated election, everybody was enlightened with the answer, it gave us an idea regarding our succeeding assignments. However, before the discussion started, we were asked to identify some words associated related to open sourcing. Some made mentioned free, no licensing, and etc.

During the last session which is on Open Sourcing some students and visitors went out and never came back so we're only few who dared to finish the whole discussions. Of all the discussions, one thing that caught my attention was the THIN CLIENT from HP. I was amazed with the features of the said gadget, however the price should be taken into account(very expensive). But offers the following features, and some of its key features are the following:

Enhanced Security
Easier Manageability
High Reliability
Increased Energy Efficiency

Generally, it was a knowledge-filled day. We learned a lot from the discussions, we have known different state-of-the-art facilities and gadgets. It was my first time to attend that kind of Expo but I enjoyed, learning and the experience are worth remembering. The Expo rendeered a lot of learnings especially on the latest technologies that everyone has to take into account.I'm not saying that everyone should acquire everything that was featured during the COMDDAP Expo, what I am implying is that, everyone should get acquainted on the latest run of technology. Once and for all, technology has been a part of our lives, and it really affects our day to day living.

Indeed, COMDDAP has been committed to have a massive educational campaign. The exhibitor's booths. discussions were really relevant which an Information Technology can relate. Hope that COMDDAP will continue this campaign as time goes by, this will help contribute the community on the amazing reality of technology, people will come to some assumptions how technology affects ones living either in negative or positive way.

Proofs...

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Img_7314

Taken last June 2, 2009. The Session was on Dealership Management System from JUPITER SYSTEMS.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Img_7315

Leonardo Zapa. He is the one managing HP in the Philippines. During the session he talks about HP THIN CLIENT.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Img_7412

After the sessions.From extreme left(Gleizelle, Desiree,Nara,Stihl
Lhyn,Sharlyn joy,Jennifer,Jezreel Jyl, Maria Theresa and Ariel
Serenado.)

COMDDAP did a GOOD JOB!!!!!

:arrow:visitmy blog, follow this link: http://www.arielserenado.blogspot.com

Last edited by ariel_serenado on Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shiela Marie P. Nara

Shiela Marie P. Nara

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 9:59 pm

COMDDAP 2009 Reflection/Learnings

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda18

COMDDAP 2009
(Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines)

COMDDAP 2009... It’s one of the ways on learning Information Technology outside the four corners of the room. Gaining IT knowledge, not in theoretical way but practically, not just ideally but in reality. These words came into my mind as we had at least few moments in COMDDAP 2009.

On July 2, 2009, we attended the COMDDAP 2009 at the Apo View Hotel. Beforehand, we registered the 1:00-5:00 pm sessions. As we enter the hotel's grand ballroom attaching our student stickers, we immediately are busying ourselves on getting the promotion prints and flyers from the different companies participating the event. The room was filled with the booths of different companies' ride. Even if we are not going to buy, we were still enjoying watching the gadgets and products they exhibit. Some of the names in the head of each booth are indeed well-known. Some of these are the Smart Bro, hp invent, neo, etc. From a ball pen with radio to notebooks and laptops even cameras. All of these can be seen at the exhibition booths. Well, that was not our main purpose though. That’s why we proceed to the session.

After we sign our signatures corresponding to our names, the first exhibitor of the nexus group shared about his company. Mr. Celmer Santos talked about Jupiter Systems Inc. and the ERIC (Enterprise Resource Information and Control) DMS. First, he shared a brief history of the said company which says that it is already 24 years in service as an enterprise software company and it’s one of the pioneers of the Enterprise Resource Planning Systems in the Philippines. After that, the exhibitor shared about ERIC DMS. This is a management for financial, personnel, distribution and manufacturing for auto dealerships. The exhibitor opened up the general features, characteristics, process flow and some of the clients of the said DMS. He mentioned “DMS is a complete, end-to-end solution for auto dealerships.” After which, there was a Question and Answer portion which followed by the giving of feedbacks through answering their feedback form. Well, honestly, I can’t answer the form because I can’t relate for I’m only a student. (Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines)

After the ERIC DMS is the HP invent. I can say that I can relate with this because I’ve already heard of it as a brand for laptops. When Mr. Leonard Zapa said that they are giving away tokens such as T-shirts and USB flash disks, the room was filled with excitement. Take not, the question are just so easy only if you listen to his ideas. All you have to do to get one token is to be the first to raise your hand. Unfortunately, I’m not one of those lucky students to get one.

By the way, the exhibitor shared about Thin Client with the words “HP: Think Big; Go Thin” Amazing, right? This means that Thin Client is of small packages but with great benefits like efficient design and longer life span. Thin Client is one of the fastest computer devices. The exhibitor shared about Thin Client and its amazing features.

To start with, HP acquired Neoware Inc. on Oct. 1, 2009. Thin Client is a computing device without hard drive (no hard disks). It only uses Flash IDE, Flash storage. It runs applications in remote locations, blade PCs or virtual desktops. It can be used independently, as a task-specific computing device. He also shared about the key growth drivers which are the data security, reliability, easier management, remote PC alternatives and virtualizations. These answer the question, why go on thin Clients? Aside from that, it also is environment friendly and has lower over-all costs. I smiled when he emphasized “lower over-all costs” because it only means that Thin Client is indeed expensive yet worth the cost for its longer life span.

Another exhibitor talked about Microsoft Dynamics. A Retail Management System which is compared to POS. The title “Microsoft Dynamics” has persuasive subtitle “Success depends on more than one location.” The exhibitor spoke about MS in retail industry leadership as highest in the industry, used by top retailer and that 65% of POS are on Windows which is MS-owned. He also talked about MRMS advantages like streamline operations, improve profit margins, build customer loyalty, manages business, not technology and have a life outside your business. RMS HQ key features are inventory control and tracking, purchase orders, pricing, sales and promotions, sales tracking and powerful, flexible reports.

The last exhibitor talked about Open Source for Business Applications. At last, I’ve already clarified with the Open Source as distinguished with the Free Software. I heard of the name Mr. Paul de Paula and the terms Joomla and Drupal for the first time. SPINweb Production Inc. is a company that offers web design and development, web hosting and maintenance, online marketing, corporate presentation and Flash 3D Animation.

At first, we are asked about whom among us have gone onto web development. Only two had raised their hand because majority of the crowd were merely students. The two were asked to do the things I can’t really relate. In the middle of the session, we were asked to identify the keywords associated with Open Source. They came up with words free, open, contributor and no licensing. However, these words are clarified during the discussion. Open Source is free in the sense of “free speech not beer” or anti-commercial. Also, the exhibitor asked us to identify the icons representing the different open Source applications. Unfortunatey again, of about 20 icons, I was just able to identify ¼ of it. Those icons are Ubuntu, Opne office, Mozilla Firefox, thunderbird, Pidgin, Transmission, Limewire, Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress OS Commerce, Zen Cart, Ruby on Rails, Php Cake and others. It made me realize that even though I’m already three years in the study of Information Technology, I am still but a beginner in the real IT world. Well, it’s okay for me because I know that I’m subject to learn more. Aside from that thought, I also found out that Mozilla

Firefox, the one that I’m using next to Internet Explorer is indeed an Open Source application. I also heard of the names Eric S. Raymond and Richard Stallman as the founder of the Open Source and Free Software. By the way, Open Source really originates from the Free Software. I also heard about The Cathedral and the Bazaar. The exhibitor also shared the organization that uses Open Source applications.

The session was ended with a debate concerning the question “, which is better, the proprietary Software or the Open Source?” And this was answered with a fair thought that Open Source is more advantageous in the other way as Free Software do. To sum up, Open source is good on personal uses while proprietary Software is good in critical missions like the automated elections for its liability. A certain visitor once asked “, what is your opinion on the backing out of TIM its joint venture with the Smartmatic?” The exhibitors can’t answer because according to them, it’s already out of bound.

The one s responsible for the success of the sessions is the Nexus Group. The group comprises the companies such as Nexus, IT ___ and Systems Integrator, Jupiter Systems Inc., Business Software Solutions expert, edupro, IT Training snd Solutions, and the SPINWeb, Online Media Develpoment. These companies have their own websites like www.jupitersystems.com.ph, www.hp.com, www.nexusgroup.ph, www.opensource.org etc.

I, with my classmates got out the room with fulfillment that at least, I’ve learned a little in attending the session. Our visist to COMDDAP 2008 would never be complete without taking pictures everywhere in the Apo View Hotel, even inside the CR.

pictures are on my blog: http://shielamariepnara.blogspot.com/2009/07/comddap-2009-reflectionlearnings.html
queen
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda14

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda16

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda17

[/url]

Last edited by Shiela Marie P. Nara on Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
kristine_delatorre

kristine_delatorre

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 11:33 pm

COMDDAP Davao 2009 is said to be the biggest I.T. expo held regularly in the South.

COMDDAP stand for Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines which was held during July 2-4, 2009.This event is held to Discover new technology and applications that will help increase productivity in different business. To meet up with top distributors and resellers of the world's leading brand names.To Gain market intelligence and be updated on the latest market trends.

as we enter Apo view hotel here in Davao city.. the ambiance was inviting. I, together with my classmate enter the said establishment to find out what COMDDAP has something to show us IT students. People passing by some were just passers who was curious with the event. But some had caught my attention. With tags wrote EXHIBITOR. I was amazed by them. Exhibitor of the COMDDAP exhibits are mostly IT professionals. Expert in a lot of aspects in IT. As we are about to tour the place, Students like me from different university and colleges here in Davao are everywhere in the corner of the room. Some student were testing gadgets, some gathered pamphlets and some were just simply stare and amazed. One thing has come up to my mind the moment i step closer to the first booth i surveyed - HIGH.

i was high because it was my first time. First time to experience a once in a lifetime opportunity to actually experience what IT professionals world. And someday i dreamt that i will be become like them.

i was high because i was amazed. Amazed of the latest gadgets and technologies that help uplift the living of the people here in the Philippines. Beautiful laptops, notebook, plasma tvs and cameras were exhibit being proud of what Filipino products and International companies like HP has stored for us Techy guys and girls.i had Get up close and take a first-hand look at the latest I.T. products and software for computing, imaging, printing , connecting and communications, security, entertainment and lifestyle applications.

i was high because I've learned a lot. I'd learned that IT industry is expanding and growing. It provides a lot of careers and opportunity for those IT students who take his career as a serious thing to be appreciated. This world is fast pace. We need to go with the flow.

i was high because i was oriented. Oriented as i we joined many IT professionals and students in a close door product endorsement or exhibit with The Nexus Group and HP. The First presentation was about the Database System that The Nexus Group made. They present to us how was the database system is being done and implemented. They had also shared some important facts about how systems made are step by step procedures and make your client prioritized all the time. The second presentor was from HP. The HP representative has introduced us to their latest technology. The THIN CLIENT. The thin client was somewhat similar to the function of the CPU of the desktop but it has wonderful features that exceeds the capacity and features of a desktop system unit.

i was high because i loved being an IT student. It has made me realize that opportunities are like a passing wind. You have to feel it and let your system feel every inch on how IT had changed your prospect in life.

i was high because COMDDAP had showed me professionalism. Many individuals are there to show support in the said the Bloomed industry today.

i was high because its fulfilling. The experience with my friends and classmate had allowed us to faced reality than just theory inside the classroom.

after the presentation of HP of The Thin Client, we decided to exit the room. All my friends were talking about the fun experience. Like me, they were also astounded by the once in a lifetime experience that COMDDAP has offered to us.

Being a student of USEP has given me an opportunity to explore everything beyond classroom. Experience as a tool, it will help us mold into a person we want to be in future. time will tell with the Help of almighty God. Success is beyond reach!

Last edited by kristine_delatorre on Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://kjdelatorre.blogspot.com/
Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo

Gabrielle Anne Rae Deseo

PostSubject: COMDDAP Experience.. Ü   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 12:16 am

The COMDDAP experience... Ü

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda12

July 2-4, Apo View Hotel, Davao City
"Where the highest mountain in the land rises over the vast rich plains of Davao, where the king of Philippine birds soar over his domain, the giant of all Philippine I.T. shows once more unfolds its latest event. It's COMDDAP Davao 2009 - the biggest I.T. expo held regularly in the South."
http://www.comddap.org/events.htm

What is COMDDAP??

"COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES."
See more details on their site:

Last July 2, 2009 me and my fellow classmates and schoolmates attended the COMDDAP Davao Expo 2009 at Apo View Hotel. It was amusing to be attending those kinds of expos because you get to see the big time people on the technology industry. We look around and saw different technologal advancement with the latest computers, gadgets, different sytems and other computer stuffs. It was fun and amusing seeing all of those. We also get to have some freebies from different booths in the expo. weeh,. hehe That's fun!!
After roaming around we attended the different sessions featuring some big companies in the technology industry. The room was full of students proffesionals and other visitors mostly are from USEP. hehe The first session I attended was about ERIC(Enterprise Resource & Information Control) Managment System. ERIC creates great automotive dealers systems for big automotive dealers around the world. The session was conducted by Mr Celmer L. Santos.
Below is a brief profile of ERIC DMS I go from their site.

ERIC DMS - Dealer Management System
The ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS) is an end-t-o-end software solution for automotive sales, parts and service businesses. ERIC DMS covers the full range of dealer activities-from marketing to sales and services.
Aside from core business operations, DMS includes a full ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning) and completely automates and integrates back office operations all the way to financial reporting.

With ERIC DMS, you can have full visibility over all operations.
Achieve total control over your car dealership business today!
• Schedule prospects for test drives and follow up on appointments
• Monitor and increase sales
• Delight customers with gentle reminders for appointments
• Manage vehicle inventory
• Deliver impeccable service
• Control parts & consumables cost
• Monitor and correctly implement warranty for parts & service
• Report your financial bottom line
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1

DMS Process Flow
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Dmsimg11

"ERIC Dealership Management System (DMS) A complete, end-to-end solution for vehicle dealers, distributors, and service providers."
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/product.aspx?prod_id=1

The second session I had attended was about the new feature hardware of HP(Hewlett Packard) which is the thin client. At first sight I was curious of what that thing is and how does it work. Thin Client is a hardware that is preferably used for small to medium business. It is best fitted for Counter internet kiosk and etc. There are a lot of advantages of Thin Clients like its simplicity, size, remoteness, security and energy consumption.

What is a thin client?

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Thin_c10
"Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.
With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client."
http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html

The whole experience was really great. Even I havent won the freebies. hehe We had fun roaming around different booths and see what' the newest product of technology. I look forward of attending expos like COMDDAP again.

Here are some snap shots of my experience..Ü
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 111 COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 211
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 311 COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 411
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 511

My blog for this post!! bounce
http://xiibee.blogspot.com/2009/07/comddap-davao-2009.html
Back to top Go down
http://xiibee.blogspot.com/
Fritzielaine A. Barcena

Fritzielaine A. Barcena

PostSubject: COMDDAP   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 10:57 am

On July 2, 2009, 1:35 pm at Apo View Hotel we've joined a seminar and exhibit by the
Computer Manufaturers Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines (COMDDAP)conducted by The Nexus Group. COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comddap-davao

Nexus Technologies Inc. was incorporated in December 1994 with a vision to create a professionally run company that delivers real business benefits to its clients through leading technologies. They are proud to be a prominent force in the Philippine IT industry as the systems integrator and corporate IT reseller of choice of some of the Philippines' top corporations.
There mission is to be a complete IT source/resource:
that attracts and maintains excellent human resources
that identifies and sets trends and directions in the industry
that forges long-term alliances with strategic partners – principals and clients – in the industry..

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 7531

First company was Jupiter Systems Inc.. Jupiter Systems Inc.(JSI) is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years. This company contains service transactions, cars,, etc.. this company is one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems in the Philippines. It has 100+ personnel and 100% Filipino-owned.
The speaker introduced the DELAER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM (DMS). DMS is a bundled system created specifically for car dealerships or large equipment manufactures such as Caterpillar_Inc dealerships, and also adapted for Boat, RV, and Power sports dealers. These systems often contain software that cater to the needs of the finance, sales, parts, inventory and administration components of running the dealership. One of their functions can be automating tax returns.[1]
DMS software typically includes support for all aspects of running a dealership such as:
Tracking vehicle inventory
Tracking sales
Finance and insurance calculations
Menu Selling Systems
Tracking customers (and customer follow up)
Accounting
Managing dealer website
Calculating employee commissions
Purchase order tracking
Parts inventory
Work order management
Appointment scheduling
A typical DMS installation includes a central server which stores all data, allowing multi-user access for as many as 50 or more client computers. Some installations may include thin clients. Other DMS providers use a centrally-hosted, or application service provider model.
This system deals a complete end to end solution, storing vehicle sales( model, accessories, charges), vehicle services, back office operations and financial reporting.
The following are the New Modules of DMS:
Customer
Vehicle Sales
Service Management
Parts Inventory.
The system support sales of new nd used vehicles. It is useful because it is easy to scan the data, it is automated.

The Pre- Sales Features are the following: sales lead monitoring from initial inquiry to actual close, sales quotation processing, sales appointments, supervisor review of appointment schedules and sales call, monitor sales stages, classifies sales probabilities, keeps all call histories, prospect follow-up reminder, and lead generation reports. The Service Management General Features are advance bookings/customer application; Operation Maintenance; Repair Orders- Estimates,Customer Service Leadership. This system involves Preventive System, Technicians Time and Out, Parts Requisitioning and Picking, Service Invoking, warranty claims and Processing, Field Servicing Actions, Service Reminders, Customer Feedback.

The next company was Hp Thin Client.
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) 07thinclient-t5530

The speaker was a Market Development. Thin Client is a computing device without a hard drive which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade Pc's or virtual desktops. It can be used independently, as a task specific computing device with a minimal set of application installed. A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.
The term was coined in 1993 by Tim Negris, VP of Server Marketing at Oracle Corp., while working with company founder Larry Ellison on the launch of the landmark Oracle7 release of the company's flagship relational database management system (RDBMS). Ellison had charged Negris with finding a way to boldly differentiate Oracle's server-centric software from the decidedly desktop-oriented products of then-rival Microsoft. Thin Client became Ellison's relentless battle cry, repeated in hundreds of speeches, interviews and articles attendant to the release of Oracle7 and many other products after that.
Many thin client devices run only web browsers or remote desktop software, meaning that all significant processing occurs on the server. However, recent devices marketed as thin clients can run complete operating systems such as Debian Linux, qualifying them as diskless nodes or hybrid clients. Some thin clients are also called "access terminals." Many people that already have computers want the same functionality that a thin client has. Computers can simulate a thin client in a single window (as thru a browser) or with a separate operating system boot-up. Either way, these are often called "fat clients" to differentiate them from thin clients and computers without thin-client functionality.
As a consequence, the term "thin client", in terms of hardware, has come to encompass any device marketed as, or used as, a thin client in the original definition – even if its actual capabilities are much greater. The term is also sometimes used in an even broader sense which includes diskless nodes.[1]
The Client Virtualization / Remote Client Solution is divided into 3. Access, Network, and compute. Compute contains SEC( Service Base Computer), VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) and Blade.

There is a big difference between a desktop and server. A desktop computer is a personal computer (PC) in a form intended for regular use at a single location, as opposed to a mobile laptop or portable computer. Prior to the wide spread of microprocessors a computer that could fit on a desk was considered remarkably small. Today the phrase usually indicates a particular style of computer case. Desktop computers come in a variety of styles ranging from large vertical tower cases to small form factor models that can be tucked behind an LCD monitor. In this sense, the term 'desktop' refers specifically to a horizontally-oriented case, usually intended to have the display screen placed on top to save space on the desk top. Most modern desktop computers have separate screens and keyboards. A specialized form of desktop case is used for home theater PC systems, incorporating front-panel mounted controls for audio and video. This contains data, application, updates, anti-virus and also back-up. A server is any combination of hardware or software designed to provide services to clients. When used alone, the term typically refers to a computer which may be running a server operating system, but is commonly used to refer to any software or dedicated hardware capable of providing services. It includes services, storage, and firewall. The Thin Client Server contains data and application, deployment and updates, anti-virus and firewalls, back-up and storage and services.

“The smaller the gadget or device is, the higher, bigger and useful it is. Just like a Thin Client, there are some of the features that desktops do not have. The benefits of Thin Client are enhanced security, easy to manage ability, high reliability, environment-friendly and lower overall costs.

It is nice and wonderful to have an opportunity and experience like that. People that talks about technologies, a country that deals with technologies, and the universe that uses technology...

Reference:
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/about.aspx
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dealership_Management_System
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client[img][/img][img][/img][img][/img][url][/url]
Back to top Go down
http://prettypriti-pretty.blogspot.com/
Chris Romarate

PostSubject: COMDDAP 09 @ Davao   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 12:30 pm

Last July2, 2009, the first day of COMDDAP exhibit at Apo View Hotel at the heart of the city of Davao was embraced with a warm welcome by the Davaweños. It was participated by different computer stores and companies such as HP Philippines, Jupiter Systems Inc., Neo Philippines, AOC (Arts Of Color) Philippines, Canon Philippines and a lot more. This association aims to improve their camaraderie with each other.

1:35 PM: I myself, together with my classmates arrived at the Apo View Hotel. The exhibitors exhibited their products at the hotel's Grand Ballroom. In there, they displayed their optimum and finest products such as he Canon's latest printer, the Neo's pocket laptop and etc..

1:50 PM: We entered at the Vanda Room to listen some lectures presented by some exhibitors. The first lecturer was the Marketing Head of ERIC Systems Inc. , which is 24 year old and a 100% Filipino owned company. There, he presented to us the latest system of Jupiter System Inc., which is the DMS (Dealer Management System). DMS is used by some car dealer companies. He said, DMS has a Thai and English language system. The Marketing Head of Nexus Group pointed also that DMS is a complete end-to-end solution for dealership. It is use for vehicle sales, services, back off and financial reporting.

DMS Process Flow presented by the Marketing Head of ERIC Systems Inc.:
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) COMDDAP

Pre-Sales

* sales appointments
* sales lead monitoring from initial inquiry to actual close
* supervisor review of appointment schedules and sales calls
* classifies sales probabilities
* keepsall call histories
* prospect follow-up reminders
* lead generation reports
* sales quotation processing

Vehicle Sales

* the system supports sales of new and used vehicles
* vehicle inventory checking in multiple branches and warehouse
* vehicle purchase agreement processing
* Vehicle Sales Invoicing
* process receivables and payables
* Vehicle Delivery Advice Entry
* Vehicle Receipt to Warehouse
* Vehicle Inventory Costing
* registers all vehicle purchase to Service Management

After Sales

* advance booking/customer appointments
* operation maintenance/flat rates
* repair orders
* repair estimates
* customer service history
* technician time-in/time-out
* parts requisitioning and picking
* service invoicing
* warranty claims and processing
* field service actions
* service reminders
* customer feedback
* highly graphical technician assignments and loading window
* sublet P.O. processing
* Point-of-Sale (POS) type billing window
* interface to Manufacturer Systems
* reports and queries
* service metrics

3:30 PM: The next lecture we attended is the exhibitors from HP-Philippines. It is a well-known company because of their optimum products such as the HP notebook and desktop computers, HP printers, HP scanners and other computer accessories and parts. The Market Development Manager of HP-Philippines showed the us their latest product and that is the HP Thin Client. According to a common online encyclopedia, a thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server. The term was coined in 1993 by Tim Negris, VP of Server Marketing at Oracle Corp., while working with company founder Larry Ellison on the launch of the landmark Oracle7 release of the company's flagship relational database management system (RDBMS). Ellison had charged Negris with finding a way to boldly differentiate Oracle's server-centric software from the decidedly desktop-oriented products of then-rival Microsoft. Thin Client became Ellison's relentless battle cry, repeated in hundreds of speeches, interviews and articles attendant to the release of Oracle7 and many other products after that. Many thin client devices run only web browsers or remote desktop software, meaning that all significant processing occurs on the server. However, recent devices marketed as thin clients can run complete operating systems such as Debian Linux, qualifying them as diskless nodes or hybrid clients. Some thin clients are also called "access terminals." Many people that already have computers want the same functionality that a thin client has. Computers can simulate a thin client in a single window (as thru a browser) or with a separate operating system boot-up. Either way, these are often called "fat clients" to differentiate them from thin clients and computers without thin-client functionality. As a consequence, the term "thin client", in terms of hardware, has come to encompass any device marketed as, or used as, a thin client in the original definition – even if its actual capabilities are much greater. The term is also sometimes used in an even broader sense which includes diskless nodes.

The Market Development Manager of HP-Philippines tackled also about the challenges for IT professionals and these are:

* Provide Information Security
* Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
* Deployment and Maintenance

After he lectured to us about their product which is the thin client, he gave some prizes to those who can answer the questions about thin client and that experience, all I can say is, "Technology is dynamic, not static".

visit my blog site @; http://apprenticelife.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Chris Romarate on Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:26 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
ailaine adaptar

ailaine adaptar

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 7:09 pm

COMDDAP- Davao

Grand Ballroom, Apo View Hotel
Davao City
July 2-4, 2009

< ========= The Scenario ======= >

July 2, 2009- The day we took part to the COMDDAP- Davao as part of our subject Management Information System (MIS) out-of-campus educational activity. There were many and different technologies showcased in the venue- Grand Ballroom, Apo View Hotel, Davao City. The visitors and students were busy roaming around, taking pictures, exploring and trying the high technology products; some are even purchasing products taking advantage to the discount while some are enjoying the freebies! What am I pointing about is that we, visitors and students, obviously do get pleasure and entertainment from such products- technology.

< ========= The Experience ======= >

I arrived at 1:00 P.M. (not exactly) with my classmates and friends. I was quite amazed on how the staffs welcomed us. We were given a sticker as as a sign of our participation as students. There are any other students from other schools who participated the event. Like us, they are requested to attend by their teachers (I am not telling that I attended that seminar because I was compelled, in fact I was excited to be there! And I am really thankful that we were invited/requested). In the technologies showcased, we enjoyed the most is the touchscreen product where me and my friend spend touching/exploring/laughing before the seminar formally started. There were surveillance cameras, printers, laptops, LCD monitors, digital cameras, and any electronic accessories and cleaner-products in the expo. We did enjoy it.

< ========= The Seminar ======= >

To be honest, the session was quite boring at first. What I perceived that time is that they are trying to sell us their product… some sort of sales talk. Also, they were talking ‘bout their system w/c is quite complex and is hard to understand considering the time limit for discussion. But as we continued, the succeeding sessions became quite interesting.

In that seminar, an American facilitator from the Microsoft Corporation site some issues and facts that must be consider in pursuing the automated election this coming 2010. First, he stated two options regarding the type of source codes that is to be used in the creation of the election-program-software.. whether we may use open sourcee or proprietary software.

Furthermore, in a technical point of view, he point out that we must also consider the situation of the programmers who are tasked to do the program of the said automated election. That includes the security of the programmers himself and to their family. This is not just for the concern of the programmer but also for the credibility of the end product. The outer interferences, connections and political issues (political manipulations) must be avoided. In a dirt politics, consider the fact that the ones making such program are candidates to threat (that is unavoidable). The above views are just some of the many factors that must be consider in using the automated poll election this coming 2010. But, in spite of that complex part, I do not oppose the automated elections. :-)

< ========= The End ======= >

The session ended with the giving of Snitch chocolates to the us who remained 'till the end of the whole-seminar-sessions. That was yummy!

Last edited by ailaine adaptar on Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:31 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Franz Cie B. Suico

Franz Cie B. Suico

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:00 pm

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009 bounce

Where the highest mountain in the land rises over the vast rich plains of Davao, where the king of Philippine birds soar over his domain, the giant of all Philippine I.T. shows once more unfolds its latest event. It’s COMDDAP Davao 2009 – the biggest I.T. expo held regularly in the South.

What?
COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines) Exhibit

When?
Held last July 2-4, 2009

Where?
At the Apo View Hotel Davao

Before I explain things during the said exhibit, let me explain first what is COMDDAP is and there objectives.

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses, sees the need to push our current technology more aggressively for the country’s business and government operations and other concerned sectors to be attuned with IT’s fast-phase development.

The association’s objectives are:

• Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
• Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
• Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
• Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
• To work closely with the government, the private sector, and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
• Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the computer industry; and
• Foster and cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

To start, when I arrived at the location, I was all alone when I visited the event. I was kind of nervous because I arrived at 4pm in the afternoon, second I don’t see any classmate around, and lastly I’m late for the seminar which is the main reason why we should visit the said event for we must create a reflection on the said event. Fortunately, I saw one of my classmates and then the rest followed. So after that I already started touring the exhibits. Looking at new gadgets, new technology that are new in the market. I was amazed at one exhibit because of his CPU, with his 3 sockets of video card, and 2 video card attach that is worth P40,000 when he first bought the product so all in all P80,000 just for the video card. It’s the most powerful video card on the market today. With the Dual/Quad Core the latest processor available in the market. His CPU is really just for gaming. Then after some more touring at the exhibits, asking question about each exhibitors about their product, participating on their events that gives freebies and etc., as we all know that I was very late for the seminar I made up my mind to visit the seminar the next day instead.

The next day,

When it’s the second day of the exhibit I arrived earlier than the first day I visited the event. Of course I had attended the seminar about HP thin clients & Windows Server 2008.

First, I will discuss the first presenter in the seminar which is about HP thin client.

What is an HP thin client?

The HP Compaq t5720 Thin Client is perfect for businesses that need compact yet powerful user-interface solutions. The t5720 delivers desktop-like features and support for local applications in an attractively small chassis that can be set either vertically or horizontally, making the t5720 fit perfectly on a desktop or mounted conveniently on a wall or under a desk.
Despite its slim size, the t5720 Thin Client is full of features: it’s powered by the AMD Geode NX 1500 processor with 512 MB of Flash memory and a standard complement of either 256 MB or 512 MB of DDR RAM. An optional PCI slot allows a broad range of expansion options, from additional memory to video cards. The t5720 also ships pre-installed with Genuine Windows XP Embedded SP2 and Sygate Security Agent, for dependable reliability and protection straight out of the box.
“The HP Compaq t5720 Thin Client with Microsoft Windows XP Embedded is an ideal interface solution for businesses with minimal work areas or other space concerns. It delivers powerfully versatile features in a compact footprint at an affordable price,” said Bernadette Nacario, PSG Country General Manager, HP Philippines.

What are the Key Features of an HP thin client?

• Reliability: Solid-state design means no moving parts, which results in higher reliability, lower ownership costs, and extended product life.
• Design security: HP makes it easy to lock down user settings and parameters on the client, or add a Smartcard reader for user authentication. Additionally, all critical user data and applications reside on your secure, centralized server. HP Sygate Security Agent is pre-installed on all t5720 Thin Clients.
• Improved manageability: HP’s alliance with Altiris brings a leading management solution to the thin client market. Altiris Deployment Solution’s standards-based, advanced thin client management solution helps reduce the costs of deploying, updating, and maintaining your thin clients. Free with each HP client!
• Open operating system: The HP Compaq t5720 Thin Client offers Genuine Windows XP Embedded operating system with Citrix ICA, Microsoft’s latest RDP client, Internet Explorer 6.0, Windows Media Player 9.0, and terminal emulations.
• Processing power: The processing power your workers need for a great server-based computing experience, whether running general office applications or your specific line of business software on a terminal server.
• Smart graphics: Support for HP’s latest monitors with superior resolution, outstanding color, and high refresh rates.
• Invisible client: HP’s unique thermal design allows the t5720 to be mounted in many orientations. Recapture desktop space by utilizing HP Quick Release mounting solution. Chassis can be set either vertically or horizontally for positioning on a desktop or mounting on a wall, under a desk, or even on the back of a compliant monitor.
• Connectivity: Advanced connectivity features include a wide range of ports and support for options including smart card readers, modems, and other common options.

The second presenter was about Windows Server 2008. To be honest, I really didn’t understand the Windows Server 2008 as the presenter told us in advanced that it is a very technical topic. But I will still try to explain what are new features added on the new Windows Server 2008. I will just break it down so it will be understandable. scratch

1. Network Access Protection (NAP) platform to see to it that all computers trying to connect to a network meet administrator-defined requirements for system health. IT administrators can have the control and flexibility in laying out security policy in accessing an organization’s resources.
2. Read-Only Domain Controller (RODC) is a new type of domain controller that hosts a read-only replica of the Active Directory database. This is a big improvement that not only reduces downtime but makes your domain controllers easier to manage, which is a big plus when they are located at a remote site
3. Server Core Installation Option that has a significantly smaller attack surface because all non-essential components and functionalities have been removed, thus yielding better performance; and the Terminal Services Gateway/Remote Programs that let remote users securely punch through perimeter firewall and access terminal servers running on a corpnet.
4. Virtualization, on the other hand, allows IT administrators to consolidate multiple server roles as separate virtual machines running on a single physical machine. This approach reduces “server sprawl” and maximizes the utilization of current hardware, and each role can run in its own isolated virtual environment for greater security and easier management. The process of migrating server roles from separate physical boxes onto virtual machines is known as server consolidation and this is probably the number one driver behind the growing popularity of virtualization in enterprise environments.
5. The Network Load Balancing (NLB) in Windows Server 2008 is a network driver that balances the load for networked client/server applications by distributing client connections across a set of servers.
These are just the new features that the Windows Server 2008 has to offer. For me Windows Server 2008 is good product for those businessmen who travel all the time. That can still monitor their business when they are outside their business walls.

So all in all, the EXPO was the best opportunity for us to experience the IT world. Plus showcasing the new trends in technology in the market which we can use in the future when we become part of the IT society.

References:
http://www.comddap.org/events7.htm
http://www.nexustech.com.ph/letters.php?newsletter_id=29
http://www.newsflash.org/2004/02/si/si002454.htm

visit my blog http://franzcie.blogspot.com cheers

Last edited by Franz Cie B. Suico on Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : references...)
Back to top Go down
shane sacramento

shane sacramento

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:33 pm

COMDDAP Expo Davao
COMDDAP or Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines is an organization of corporations that provides IT solutions. They have been conducting expos all over Manila, Cebu and now Davao City.

The expo was held at the Apo View Hotel on the 2nd day of July, 2009. It is a three day expo (July 2-4, 2009) that showcases Information Technology (IT). In the hall, are numbers of companies were there to display their products in their respective booths. This event is not just a display of best and latest products offered by different businessmen that recognizes Information Technology as a need in fulfilling the full length of their business’ offers.

The very first session I joined was from Jupiter Systems, Inc. It is a 100% Filipino company, according to the speaker. He said that instead of importing systems or softwares from other countries, they export them instead. That means they are the ones who develop and export them for the use of other countries such as, Thailand, China, Hong Kong and United States of America. Their software, according to the speaker, follows a standard language system, which may include Thai, Chinese and Vietnamese.

After introducing himself (the speaker) and his company, he started discussing about a software for dealers, which is called ERIC Dealer Management System (DMS). It is a software that is being used by car dealers in order to keep track of sales, service transaction and other related. It is a twenty-four (24) year old software and now was fully developed by the said company. This software enables users to monitor their employees as well as their customers’ records. The software is enabled with accounting, manufacturing and inventory system. The system may offer records regarding supplies, sales monitoring and monitoring of the salesperson’s activities, through clock-in and clock out, which is known to us as log in and log out. The software also includes the monitoring of the owners car regular check-up thus, ensuring the safeties of their customers and even the brand of the dealers, who uses DMS.

Some of the car dealers, which have big names on the car market that uses DMS, as the speaker enumerate, are Mitsubishi, Honda and Mercedes Benz.
More on: http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/

The second session introduces the HP Thin Clients. Thin Client, as the speaker says, is a computing device without the hard drive and fan. He also discussed the advantages of the said hardware. It has a very low power consumption that ranges about 11W to 20W, which is 80% lower than a desktop computer. The hardware was enabled with a higher data security in both hardware and software. It has no moving parts, meaning, every thing inside the hardware is attached to it securely and it will never budge no matter how hard you shake it and it is really is thin. Its height and length is half that of a normal system unit and its width is a quarter.

As I have mentioned earlier, the hard ware does not contain fan and hard drive. That means it would be much lighter and you wouldn’t worry about the temperature of the said hardware, that is because of its low power consumption thus, reaches only 40 degrees of the operations.
More on: http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html

Microsoft Dynamics retail Management System or simply called RMS, was the third session I attended. This is a software from Microsoft that mainly recognizes the hassle of stores or a food chains, both for the employee and customers.

The speaker started the session by telling us a situation that is common at the supermarkets. He said, “Have you ever tried being on a long line for paying what you brought, then the person before you, who is currently attended by the cashier, realizes that he/she has forgotten something, and getting that product is actually five (5) minutes away from the cashier?.”

Well, the long wait is over with this Retail Management System developed by Microsoft. This software offers the following for its users:

• Streamline Operations- lets the owner view and update the inventory and track the inventory while the user id offline, reserve shipments, purchase order and share reports.

• Improve Profit Margins-easily adjust pricing, identify best selling items, track the return of investment and is employee productivity.

• Build Customer Loyalty-customize receipts, flexible pricing structures, which mean it would be easy to adjust the price if the customer has a discount or any other related.

• Manage Business, Not Technology-easy install and training of employees will not take a huge amount of time. It can also access online help and managing different inventory types is not a problem.

• Have a life outside your business-it eliminates the hassle of always being onsite thus, enabling the user to check his business’ branches or establishments anywhere and anytime.

The following are the key features of the RMS:
• Inventory control and tracking
• Purchase order
• Pricing, sales and promotions
• Sales tracking
• Powerful, flexible reports
More on: www.microsoft.com/philippines/

The fourth and the last session was from Spinweb Production, Inc., which identifies themselves as the web development arm of the nexus group. The topic was all about Open Source for Business Application. I have learned the true meaning of open source and it was a very big help for me, because I have heard of the words “open source” with regards to the one of the most talked about issue here in the Philippines. The web and the news tell that the automation of the 2010 election is an open source and I was curious about this. Well, thanks to the last discussion I have a clear view of what open source is. According to the speaker, open source is not free and it has a license, just like the commercialized software. To clearly define open source, he shared us the four freedoms. He even started the number from zero (0) instead of one (1). Zero, you can always run it for any purpose. One, you can study and modify it, then share it to everyone. Two, you can always copy it. And Three, you can always improve it and share it to everyone. The speaker also included the difference between free software and open source, which is open source are mainly talking about the development methodology while free software is a movement methodology, which may mean the passing of the softwares from different users to other.
More on: www.spinweb.ph/

The last session was ended by giving away Snitch chocolate and that’s how the day ended too.
Back to top Go down
creza_jill_bulacito

creza_jill_bulacito

PostSubject: COMDDAP Reflection   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 8:46 pm

COMDDAP Experience

COMDDAP Experience

Last July 2, 2008 me and my classmates attend a seminar on COMDDAP at the Apo view hotel. COMDDAP stands for Computer Manufacturers, Distributers and Dealers Association on the Philippines. The event was organized and managed by the said Association which deals with different Information Technology companies. COMDDAP offers technology update series of seminars and workshops, product demos, as well as event discounts, raffle draws and generous giveaways for lucky attendees. The Expo was really entertaining and showcases new Information Technology products. You can get up close and take a first hand at the latest Information Technology products and software for computing, imaging, printing, connecting, and communications, security, entertainment and lifestyle applications. Now, as we can observe the speed that information technology is evolving and becoming ever more pervasive in our everyday activities in life that is why COMDDAP yearly conduct an expo to step up the challenges of bringing something new to our market with every show. COMDDAP displayed the different information technology Products with the highlight of LCD monitors Shootout. In the tradition of COMDDAP shootouts, the shootout event within the main event brought out together the top LCD monitor brands in the world in a showdown of their most brilliant features in terms of graphics, photo and video display. It was an amazing experience by visiting their expo. There were a lot of companies as the exhibitors on the event like the Adobe which is the name for industry leading network publishing software with tools that help users create, manage and deliver graphically rich content to anyone, anywhere on any device. There was also Corel which produces full-featured, easy to use productivity, graphics and digital imaging software. The Canon Marketing Philippines Incorporated was also there and has been providing cutting edge imaging products, solutions and services to aid its customers in producing superior quality graphics and prints for more than a decade. There was also the Ng Khai Development Corporation which provides ICT infrastructure, solutions and digital lifestyle products and services. It counts among its partners such big names as IBM, Microsoft, HP, Lenovo, Cisco, Intel, Imation and Symantec. It is also an authorized reseller of top brands of projectors, surveillance equipment and PABX systems. Smart Communications Incorporated was also there which showcases their wireless broadband service the SmartBro. It is a high-speed broadband internet connection that wirelessly delivers internet service to your PC. It runs on Smart’s newest and fastest mobile network and is available in Postpaid Plans and Prepaid Units. Also, there was Autodesk, Fox chit Business Systems, Symantec, Trinity Marketing, Word text Systems Incorporated, McAfee and many more.

During our visit to the expo we attended seminars which was presented by the Nexus Group this were about the ERIC Dealer Management System, The HP thin Client, Retail Management System Overview and the Windows Server 2008. The ERIC Dealer Management System presented by Jupiter Systems Incorporated is an end to end software solution for automotive dealer operation. ERIC Database Management System range of solutions covers Customer Relationship Management, Vehicle Sales and Administration and Service Management. It is also supported by a robust back end system on parts and supplies inventory, over the counter sales, purchasing and the requisite financial modules for financial accounting and reporting. You can find out how implementing ERIC Database System helps your dealership have a full visibility of over all operations. In their presentation you can see how well organized their system. Everything you need for Vehicle business inventory can use the ERIC Database System. The next presenters were the HP Thin Client who explained and describe the power of thin clients. Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. The HP Company showed their new product which is the thin client how they work, application and operates in a business. They showed the Flexibility and functionality with broad choice of models and operating systems. HP offers specialty thin client categories to meet your unique needs: high performance, mobile, and all-in-one. High performance thin clients provide PC power with thin client benefits. There are also Mobile thin clients for portability and flexibility in and out of the office. The thin clients provide all-in-one thin clients for customer facing or space-constrained environments (ideal for kiosks, carts, front office). Thin Client Computing specializes in leading edge solutions using the latest thin client, virtualization and streaming techniques for Local Area Network/Wireless Area Network, Internet, and Work at Home environments. Thin Client Computing offers expert consulting in the design of Secure Remote Access Solutions and advanced Multi-Site failover architectures. Our designs offer unparalleled capabilities for auto-failover and rapid recovery from disaster or unexpected downtime. After the presentation of the HP thin client they had giveaways for those who can answer their questions. They had some prizes such as shirts and flash drives. It was a fun day and you can learn a lot of new things involving latest technologies.

please visit my blog http://rs-crezaharu.blogspot.com/ lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
charmaine_dayanan

charmaine_dayanan

PostSubject: Insights and Events: COMDDAP 2009   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 10:49 pm

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda10

A lot of computer sales and services companies, dealers of communication tools and equipments, distributors of multimedia accessories, computer developers, IT practitioners, digital solution providers, and even those who belong to the business corporate world, students and teachers, young and old, gather together to this annual event called COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines) Davao Expo 2009 held at Apo View Hotel, Davao City on July 2-4, 2009.
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Pict0010

The event is open to all especially those who are interested in IT. But because of limited seats, there is a need for a registration. Same as the other year, our professor, Mr. G. invited us to visit the exhibit and attend the seminars scheduled on the first two days. When I and my classmates arrived at the hotel, there are already a lot of people at the Grand Ballroom where the exhibit is being held. Some of the exhibitors who participated in the last time I attended the same event were there (as far as I could remember) but I also noticed few companies whose names sounded unfamiliar to me. There were also a lot of students from other universities.

Well, aside from attending the seminars, my goal is to view the exhibit where I could have a glimpse of the new trends of technologies and its gadgets. Apart from that, I can have the chance to collect those product infos in flyers and glossy papers that I’ve been yearning for in this once-a-year event where almost all of the dealers and distributors of computer h/w and s/w, multimedia, etc meet. I have that strange hobby of collecting souvenirs. Hehe. And of course, the opportunity to join in the raffles and get freebies! Hahaha!

Well guys, let’s get serious here. The Tech Updates Sessions were actually being given by some of the known names in the world of IT developers, namely The Nexus Group, Jupiter Systems, Inc., Edupro Inc., and Spinweb Inc. The sessions were of free registration (over the internet thru the website) but there were only limited seats. I registered for the afternoon sessions on the first day. I could say that most of the audiences were composed from our institution, IT and CS students from University of Southeastern Philippines. (Because we were required to do so. Lol.) The seminar started late so we spent the time roaming around the exhibit area first.
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Pict0011

The first speaker talked about the ERIC [Enterprise Resource Information and Control] Dealer Management System (DMS). It is an end-to-end software solution for automotive dealer operation. ERIC DMS' range of solutions covers Customer Relationship Management (CRM), Vehicle Sales and Administration (VSA), and Service Management (SVM). It is also supported by a robust back-end system on parts and supplies inventory, over the counter sales, purchasing and the requisite financial modules for financial accounting and reporting. <source: registration site> It was developed by Jupiter Systems Inc., which I heard of as a 100% Filipino-owned industry. ERIC DMS’ international support includes Ford, Mitsubishi, Honda, Mercedes Benz, and Nissan, to name a few. The first session is not quite that entertaining although very informative, as I have taken note. Because most of my classmates (including me) remarked ‘we can’t relate.’ It talked about automotive business management, and we had less interest in cars. Luckily, after a few moments, someone from the corporate world asked regarding if there would be any problem in data conversion if in case the current system that is being used in business companies now will be replaced by the ERIC DMS. (I didn’t really hear the person right but I guess this was what he meant, more or less). There it is! What I’ve been waiting to ‘relate with’ came in. I guess as IT and CS students we should gain more interest on the technicalities of the system itself. The speaker explained that the system was made using Microsoft SQL and migration of data to the system is not a problem. Programmers will first base the data in MS Excel and check if the data are accurate before they will dig it into the new system. The process is similar to what other companies’ systems also had and most of the features of the program are also basically related.

In general, the presentation is very good, especially when the speaker explained the parts of the s/w program they developed. As an IT student (and a programming student), I could say it was so complex and may have spent a long time debugging for the program’s successful implementation.
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Pict0012

The next presentor is someone from Nexus Technologies Inc. who talked about the HP Thin Client. He even had an actual computing device in front of us for his demo. Before he began, he said they will be giving freebies (i.e. USB Flash Disks, T-shirts) for those who could answer his questions after the presentation, and that suddenly filled the room with enthusiasm. Haha! And so, expectedly, the students listened eagerly to the discussion and we even took down notes. Thin clients sounded familiar to me at first but I only knew its real meaning and function this time. A thin client is a computing device without a hard drive, which displays data and applications from remotely located servers, blade PCs, and virtual desktops. As the speaker discussed about the features of the HP Thin Client, we couldn’t help but be overwhelmed of its capabilities as a device. The thin client is primarily designed for task-based users, or those who only had 1 or 2 applications running on their machines, such as ticketing offices, internet kiosks, and the like. It is also to address the concern of IT professionals who are faced with challenges in providing information security (i.e. loss of data due to hardware/software failures, virus and malicious attacks, theft and natural disasters), deployment and maintenance, and total cost of ownership (TLO). Some of its benefits are its proactive capability (if there are any changes due to malwares, etc, you just simply have to reboot it and its fine!), self-healing, and lock-enabled. Plus, it is has hardened embedded OS (no need for antivirus; intelligent & secure USB), has failure rate which is ¼ of that in desktops, 80% less power consumption, longer life, 75% reduced foam, surface-mounted thus space-saving, and overall, more reliable. I have also known a technique in computing and comparing hardware cost – a basis whether you want to buy a desktop or choose the thin client – that is, annual hardware cost divided by the number of usage in years (before changing h/w). Truly, who could not be convinced with these nice advantages! The last part of the presentation was of course, the Q&A portion. The speakers even found it hard to choose the ones who will answer their multiple-choice questions because everybody raised their hands to answer. Unfortunately, I was not meant to get a freebie. Hmmp.

I was not able to hear the third presentation which was the Retail Management System Overview by the Nexus Professional Services and Solutions (NPSS) because we thought the session was ‘by invitation’ only so we went out to the exhibit area. (Only then I found out that some of us did attend the third one. However, I was able to catch up a part of the last session which was Open Source for Business Applications by Spinweb Productions Inc. I heard the speaker discussed and showed some websites made by open source software and applications. A gentleman from our side raised his hand and challenged the speaker on what’s his stand towards whether to use proprietary softwares or open-source developed applications in mission-critical purposes like the 2010 Automated Elections. Suddenly, it made me remember my assignment which is related with the Automated Elections. The gentleman shared his insights about his query. What he was discussing about made me realize how responsible an IT professional is, in terms of developing digital solutions to the customers, system users, and even the government. I was impressed by how he delivered his opinion regarding the matter. Even though he was not one of the lecturers, he conveyed his message to the audience, and that gave us, young students who may be future software developers someday, a very important lesson. [more about reflection on 2010 automated elections on my post on assignment 3 thread…]

You can drop comments to my blog http://www.charmainespeaksup.blogspot.com
lol! lol! Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
http://charmainespeaksup.blogspot.com
mayraflordurango

mayraflordurango

PostSubject: MIS- COMDDAP SEMINAR Reflection   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 11:20 pm

MIS- COMDDAP SEMINAR Reflection

REFLECTION: COMDDAP SEMINAR
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda10

The day dated July 2, 2009 at exactly 1:00 pm of the very hot and stinky afternoon. IC students taking
a subject, Management Information System had given a task to attend and be a big part of the COMDDAP
Seminar at the Apo view Hotel.

Before, i was keep wondering why our facilitator had given this task for us IT/IS students as a part of our subject requirement.
Since then, as i enter the my first step in the COMDDAP Seminar, I saw many companies that had been given some promotions and tokens to get some intension
Among the students and other visitors. At every corner you can see some hardware and software companies that had also interesting suitable applications.

At exactly 2pm, we had proceeded for the next session which is the companies’ presentation of its business application and services that also had management system applied.

The first company that had shared some important discussions and orientations is the JUPITER SYSTEM, INC. facilitated by Mr. Celmer L. Santos as the company representative.

During the time of discussion, even though at the middle part it’s been a quite boring, still I can see the very high lightened means of the discussion that acquires impartment specially among us students taking a course of Bachelor of Science in Information Technology.

In looking forward to and to understand deeply about the useful application of Management Information System in many companies’ services, its major significance is to remind us that application of the IT/IS systems are very useful in their business. Especially in dealing with business transactions, manipulation and data security.

In addition, Mr. Santos had discussed also about the type of management system their company had been applied in the wide distribution of the products and merchandising. This type of system is commonly known as Enterprise Resource Information and Control Dealer Management (ERIC), in which this type of system is being use in their sales, productions and provides end-to-end shipments for auto dealers.

The next company presenter is the HP Philippines with its theme:
“Think big; Go thin, HP Thin Clients”.

HP Philippines, had also present to us the key growth Drivers of there IS applications.
*Secure data security and reliability
*Easier Management
*PC alternatives
*Virtualization
*Lower TCO
*Broadband and related compression technologies.

Furthermore, they had also introduce their newly produce product, which is the so called “Thin Client”.
COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Thin10

Thin Client is a type of computing device without a hardware which display data and applications from remotely located servers and can be use independently as a task specific computing device with a minimal set of applications.

In the midst of discussion. They had also presented the challenges for the IT professionals and this are the following:
*Provide Information Security
- In the field of hardware and software security.
*Deployment and Maintenance
-data accuracy and reliability

By this experiences and new comprehensions, I’d realize what are the main purposes of our facilitator in giving this kind of task. It imparts me as an IT student, that Management Information System as one our major subjects, can’t also be learn in the four corners of the classroom. But to be physically and intellectually engaged in the actual and outside applications of the MIS in many companies and even among small business. The day of many irritable and stressful situations yet provide an exemplary orientations and new informations not just to the businessmans but more important for us students. Their valuable orientation provides various livelihood technologies that lead beneficiaries to live good life.
Back to top Go down
juvilynconsejo

juvilynconsejo

PostSubject: comdapp 2009   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 1:16 am

Last Thursday, July 2, 2009 all of the students who were under by our facilitator were required in attending at least two sessions. First, we have been undergone in registration of the nexus group.

When we arrived at the venue (Apo View Hotel), I myself had seen plenty of people such as students, facilitators, exhibitors and etc. During our entrance, there were also many companies that exhibits or endorse their different products.

Honestly, I myself, wondered? Is it true? You know what this is my first time that I went here in Davao especially in Apo View Hotel that's why I just observed first before I do something. I thought we had gone there just to watch the exhibits because I did not saw any place or room just for our seminar. Hahaha, it looks like funny because as I looked around my eyes there is only one door and as i saw it the signed was going to the C.R. but when you already enter there and you looked on the other side you can see our room, then, we have gone there and find our respective names and signed it.

This is it! Here comes our first speaker, it seems he is handsome and intelligent. He was Mr. Celmer Santos, the manager of the Enterprise Resource Informations and Control (ERIC). He tackled about the "dealer management system", as I heard his talk, I felt so bored maybe because the topic that he had been saying is that I can't relate on it! As far as I'm concerned, I still need to comprehend what he says because it is talking about a system so now, I will share what I had understand in his session. The DMS is a sytem in which the dealership between the agent and the customers occur. In this session also talk about the services of management and its general features and this are the following:
* Advance booking/customer appointment
* Operation maintenance
* Repair orders
* Customer sevice history and etc.

After this, it was followed by the HP Philippines Company and the speaker was Mr. Leonard Zapa, the market developer manager. I realy like their saying and it goes like this: "Think big; go thin". He had endorse their product, which was the thin client. The thin client is a computing device without a hard drive which displays data and application from remotely located servers, blade PC's or Virtual destops. One of the advantage of this product is that it can work independently. Moreover it has many benifits such as:1/4 the failure rate, 10x higher MTBF, longer life and space savings and many more.

When we talk about its corresponding price, well, as they say when you buy something do not just look as its price but try to consider the inner portion or its negative background. To sum up, thin client has more capability than a CPU even though both of it has almost same price.

Our community, has been challenging us, as an IT proffessionals and one of this is to provide information security in the sence that there were lost of data due to hardware or software malfunction, virus and other malicious attacks. So now, try to think: "are you capable of being an IT student?"

Reference:www.jupitersystems.com.ph

NOTE: sir, may pics poh sna aq kso d q alam kng panu ilagay sa forum nandoon ho sa blogsite q: http://juvilyn-juvilyn.blogspot.com/

Last edited by juvilynconsejo on Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://juvilyn-juvilyn.blogspot.com/
aeros salaga

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 4:08 am

COMDDAP (Computer Manufacturers, Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines)

Background:

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer product solutions and peripherals.
In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.

Reference: http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

My experiences:

Last July 2, 2009 we went to the Apo View Hotel of Davao to witness the event, the COMDDAP Davao Expo 2009. We are informed by our facilitator in MIS (Management Information System) and HRM (Human Resource Management) about this event. This event will help us as an IT student to gather some information that is related to our course. COMDDAP’s goal is to make IT significant. As we arrive at the event area, the Apo View Hotel of Davao, first we saw, are the exhibits of different technological products such as new modeled computers/laptops, flat screened TV’s, computer mother

boards and etc.. Those are different technologies introduced by different companies for promotions of their products in order to enhance IT practices. After viewing those displayed technologies, we enter to a room to attend different sessions. Different kind of people attended the sessions; there are IT students like us from other schools, IT professionals, teachers, business personnel, and etc, just to witness different business strategies/techniques applied to IT and also to witness the pro

ducts and services that they are promoting. The first session I attended was the ERIC (Enterprise Resource & Information Control) Management System conducted by Mr Celmer L. Santos.

Here are some information about ERIC.

Jupiter Systems Inc. (JSI) is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years.

JSI's flagship product is Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERIC). ERIC is an integrated financial, distribution, manufacturing and personnel software application. ERIC has extended its scope to include mobile and internet based applications, making it available at the workplace on the internet and on the road.

http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/eric.aspx

…the next session I attended was the HP (Hewlett Packard), they mainly introduces their main product of that session, the HP Thin Client.

Here are some information about Thin Client:

What is thin client?

A thin client (sometimes also called a lean or slim client) is a client computer or client software in client-server architecture networks which depends primarily on the central server for processing activities, and mainly focuses on conveying input and output between the user and the remote server. In contrast, a thick or fat client does as much processing as possible and passes only data for communications and storage to the server.

Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thin_client

http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/article/thinclients_consider.html

…information for those products are well discussed and introduced. After the discussions about that product, the in charge conducted a question and answer portion with prizes whoever can give the right answer. The definitely try our very best to be called and give an answer because we are aiming to get the prizes such as USB flash device and t-shirts. But, I got no prizes because I haven’t called and had a chance to answer the questions but anyway I’m still satisfied with their performances in introducing their best products that can help IT people.

…After that session, I decided not to attend on the last session, but anyway I went home brought new information. Those information help gather some ideas on how IT can help our life better. By the help of different companies actually Big Companies who applies the information system in order to improve their businesses. Because they share their knowledge on us about some techniques or strategies to help us develop and extend knowledge about IT.

God Bless!

my blog: http://aerosusep.blogspot.com/
Back to top Go down
http://aerosusep.blogspot.com
Gleizelle Jen Dieparine

Gleizelle Jen Dieparine

PostSubject: →COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 7:35 pm

→COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Hhh10

Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers association of the Philippines (COMDDAP).

COMDDAP
is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The vision of promoting and elevating the standards of Information technology (IT) in the Philippines fueled a group of prominent computer companies to form the Computer Distributors and Dealers Association of the Philippines or COMDDAP. Its initial member-companies represent the world's leading makers and providers of computer products, solutions and peripherals.

In 1997, the manufacturing sector - represented by industry leaders Hewlett Packard, Epson and Compaq, among others - was integrated into the COMDDAP membership, making the association a more diverse representation of the IT sector and thus the new name, COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS, DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES.

MY EXPERIENCED

→ At exactly1:00 pm last July 2,2009 we had our COMDDAP 2009 we had our Apo View Hotel where we had encounter and seen great technologies nowadays and gained some knowledge from seminars of the company that we had attended.

→But before that I just want to say that we became one of delegates of successful COMDDAP 2009 in Davao , we had register on online .Thank God we registered though some of my classmates were unregistered since they followed instruction but they solved it already and joined us on the seminars.

→We arrived past 1:00pm which actually a Pilipino time habit .As we got COMDDAP sticker as our ID we suddenly filled up a form, it receptionist came and thought “Student mu? sulod na mu dli na para sa inyu!!!” .It was embarrassing we thought it is giveaway prizes .We walk inside with half feeling ..hehe

→We tour every booth of the companies , we discovered hardware appropriate for a business ,upgrade technologies, and even cell phone blogs. We have seen big system unit, storage system ,servers for managing business , software for protection .It is an amazing experience that soon I will meet that kind of technology as I enter the IT profession as I graduate.

→ For all those things I really appreciate the NetApp S550system .It is a complete storage system for storage generalists and remote /branches office .It is because I and my colleagues were curious to the hardfware.What is it for ? What are the 12 disk for? And what is the contribution of that hardware for the business? I finally knew what it is when I met this kind of storage on the company I interviewed the EMCOR company .They used it for the storage of every documentation of business transaction.

→ While enjoying looking of new gadgets , I noticed that they were gone . I was worried because I don’t know the location venue of the seminars . While looking for them I thankful I seen my classmates who are newly arrived. I joined them and we went to reserved room for seminars.

→ We had seminar for dealer Management System, Hp Thin Client, Open Source Software, Microsoft Retail Management.

→There we had learned some open source software, which we can adopt software for making a web design or source of making program.

→We witnessed also the debate about automated election, that I really enjoyed. That really proven that IT people were concerned of the system should be secured for the success of the election and it should planned well what system they produce. I found out that there is differences among those who are promoting a open source and the other one that has license of their software which they sale.

→We have also witnessed the new hardware of HP company the “Thin Client” .It is so amazing system unit. IT has features that other System Unit doesn’t have. But it is expensive but useful and comfortable.

→ Im so happy cause I’m one of the lucky student on that seminar .I won HP t-shirt and 2 gigabyte of USB on answering HP company’s question: What is not component of Thin Client?. Well it is really amazing , a advance gift for my birthday. Can you imagine? Oh my!! .But now I felt disappointment !why? My old USB gone the day after I received my new one. It is really true that ”Pagsunuwerte ka kasunod dun ay kamalasan”. But it is ok at least I have one already.

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comdda13

1st Company ☻Dealer Management System☻

DMS- a car dealership transaction
-100% Filipino owned
Service management General Featuring:
Advance Booking/Customer Appointment
Operation Maintenance
Warranty Claims
Operation Maintenance
Customer Service History

Vehicle Sales Promotion
Vehicle inventory
Systems Support Sales
Purchase Agreement
Vehicle Costing Inventory
Registering Vehicle Purchase

2nd Company ☻HP Company(Thin Client)☻

Think Big ,Go thin Thin Client
Thin Client – small package but high power,efficient design

Thin Client doesn’t has:

• No hard disk
• Wasn’t damn terminal
• Landport

Benefits:

♥️Enhanced security ♥️Minimal heat generator
♥️Longer life ♥️Easy manageable
♥️High realibilty ♥️Solid state
♥️Environmental friendly ♥️No need antivirus

3rd Company ☻Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management☻

MDRS- is highest in industry regarding customer commitment.

Key Benefits:

☺️Streamline Operation
• Automatic Inventory Purchase order
☺️Improve Profit manager
• Easy price adjusting
• Identify best selling item
• Build Customer Loyality

Retail Management System:
♣️Inventory Control
♣️Purchase Order
♣️Pricing ,Sales Promotion
♣️Sales Tracking

4th Company ☻SPINWEB☻

Spinweb- an online media agency they promote Open source for business Application

Eric Raymund-Open Source Founder

Open Source Software(OSS)- licensed software that meets open source defense

Some of OSS

♥️Ubuntu ♥️GIMP
♥️Open office ♥️PHP
♥️OS commerce ♥️MySql
♥️Mozilla ♥️Drupal

WHY OS?
• No vendor Locking
• Large Support
• More Secure
Back to top Go down
brian c. namuag

brian c. namuag

PostSubject: COMDAP Event   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyWed Jul 08, 2009 9:29 pm

COMPUTER MANUFACTURERS DISTRIBUTORS AND DEALERS ASSOCIATION OF THE PHILIPPINES (COMDDAP) held an Expo last June 2-4, 2009 at The Apo View Hotel, Davao City

About COMDDAP

THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and bannered by these specific objectives:
• Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
• Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
• Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
• Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
• To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
• Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
• Foster anf cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

The Visions of COMDAPP

COMDDAP as an association.

COMDDAP counts among its achievements the holding of the Annual COMDDAP exhibit, more popularly known as the COMDDAP EXPO, which has become a consistent crowd drawer and has in itself set new records in terms of the quality of exhibit area, exhibitors, visitors, and venues. In fact, COMDDAP EXPO in 1999 marked the first exhibit to have adapted an upgraded booth shell schemes. COMDDAP has also pledged to protect its members in addressing the growing issue of software piracy, a practice that has affected and stunted the growth of the local software industry, as well as the country’s trade relations with other countries .In pushing this, COMDDAP has expressed its full support in the local manufacturing of DOS at an affordable price and with after-sales support, as well as launching a massive educational campaign.

Source: http://www.comddap.org/aboutus.htm

I Witness..

It was a hot yet glamorous day of June 2, 2009 when we witnessed the most fabulous exhibit in Apo View Hotel. COMDAPP a word which mesmerize our eyes as we’ve seen the event. Buzz of people came around to see and attend the said event. Well as a student, do I make my self a loser? We were there and grab the opportunities to learn and experienced some various events. Booths of different companies fabricate their models and give some freebies about their products regarding technology matter. There were even visitors, exhibitors and students came from different companies and schools. Some of the exhibitors were SMART Communication, Canon Marketing Philippines, Neo, Asian Tech and many more.

It was around 1:30 pm when we registered to Tech Session because there were limited sits only and luckily we attended those seminars showcasing their systems, and products. We really had fun and learned many things which definitely improve and help us as an Information Technology student. Yes, these are just once in a lifetime and were lucky to have the event. Professionals and visitors also attended the event but mostly it was us who filled the room. Students from University of Southeastern Philippines were eager to listen to the discussion.There were about 6 exhibitors who perform their presentations through power point presentation. Yes it was indeed a grateful and meaningful event that was once happen in our.

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
http://brian-takealook.blogspot.com/
neil rey c. niere

neil rey c. niere

PostSubject: COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO ( Reflections/Learnings )   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 12:17 am

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009

July 2-4 2009 at Apo View Hotel

Comddap Description

THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE
COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

Experience

July 2, 2009, in this day me and my classmates attended the first day of Comddap Davao Expo at Apo View Hotel. Upon entering the hall, glimpse the modern gadgets and technological equipments, seeing big time people and also students from different schools, we look around the place, taking some information in every gadgets, computers, printers, digital camera's and many more.
After the look around trip with my friends and classmates, we attended a session about Eric DMS. We enter the session hall, we saw students and big time professionals, the session was conducted by Mr. Celmer L. Santos.

Start of the session:

ERIC DMS

Brilliant Dealer Management System

General Features

•Monitoring Sales Executive Activities
•Sales lead monitoring from initial inquiry to actual close
•Sales quotation processing
•Supports sales of new and used vehicles
•Multiple pricing and discounting schemes
•Financing and Insurance transactions
•Vehicle reservation and deposit collection
•Vehicle Inventory
•Customer Incident and resolution recording
•Interface to manufacturer systems
•Reports and Queries
•Highly graphical technician assignments and loading window
•Customer Appointments
•Repair orders and estimates
•Customer/Vehicle service history
•Technician time in/out
•Parts requisitioning and picking
•Control parts and consumable cost

ERIC- Enterprise Resource Information and Control
DMS- Dealer Management System

Jupiter System, Inc.

Jupiter Systems Inc.(JSI) is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years.

•a 24 year old enterprise software company
•100+ personnel
•100% Filipino owned company
•pioneering enterprise

Their systems made were used by this following automotive dealers:

•Ford
•Mitsubishi
•Mazda
•Honda
•Toyota
and many more....

Service Management General Features:

•Advance Bookings/Customer Appointments
•Operation Maintenance/Flat Rates
•Repair Orders
•Repair Estimates
•Customer Service History
•Service Invoicing
•Warranty Claims and Processing
•Field Service Actions
•Service Reminders
•Customer Feedback

Thin Client

Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer.
With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client.

All of this things were properly discussed, well organized and very creative sessions. Until here for my learning and reflection on COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009.

afro Let's do I.T.!!!
Back to top Go down
Marlie E. Sisneros

Marlie E. Sisneros

PostSubject: COMDAP Learnings/Reflections   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 12:18 am

Uhmmmm...
COMDAP 2009 Suspect

July 2-4, Apo View Hotel, Davao City

Where the highest mountain in the land rises over the vast rich plains of Davao, where the king of Philippine birds soar over his domain, the giant of all Philippine I.T. shows once more unfolds its latest event. It's COMDDAP Davao 2009 - the biggest I.T. expo held regularly in the South.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f89/14/09/06/25/hhh10.jpg

its here in Davao with a Big bolt from the blue ..
bounce
http://geekyfaust.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/comddap-davao-09.jpg

Last July 2,2009 ,around 1:00pm to 5:00pm
we arrived and attended Two seminars in the same Ball room at the Apo View Hotel:roll:

The First Seminar is from the JUPITER SYSTEMS INCORPORATED.

~ ERIC DMS ~
Welcome to Jupiter Systems

Founded in 1982, Jupiter Systems is the leading worldwide supplier of visualization solutions for command and control applications.

Jupiter's display wall processors are designed for continuous, 24x7 operation and are used in more than 6000 network operation centers, electric power generation and distribution control rooms, boardrooms, intelligent traffic control centers, 911 dispatch centers, financial operations, surveillance and security centers, and fixed and mobile military operations control centers around the world.
What is JSI?

Description:
Jupiter Systems Inc., software experts for the manufacturing and distribution industries. Jupiter Systems Inc. aim is to deliver world-class, cost-efficient solutions within reach of mid-sized companies across Asia. Jupiter Systems Inc. flagship product is the Enterprise
Resource Information and Control
System (ERIC). ERIC is an integrated
financial, distribution, manufacturing, and personnel software application. ERIC has extended its scope to include mobile and internet-based applications, making it available at the workplace to the internet and on the road. Jupiter Systems Inc. also has the capability to integrate with ERIC other solutions for asset management, workflow document management, and retail operations.

Customer List

REFERENCE: http://www.jupiter.com/cm/Customers/Partial%20Customer%20List.html

Jupiter has over 6,000 installations around the world in control room applications ranging from traffic management to financial operations.

See examples by industry below:

Traffic Management
Mesa, AZ
Seminole County, FL

Finance
Jyske Bank, Denmark
Banco Azteca, Mexico
ICBC , Shanghai, China

Telecom
AT&T
Sprint
TurkCell
Telia A.B. (Sweden)
Deutsche Telekom
Verizon

Transit authorities
Boston
Washington, D.C.
Chicago

Defense
Army
Navy
Marines
Air Force
Pentagon
Joint Chiefs of Staff

Aeronautics
Boeing
Northrop
Grumman
NASA

Airports
Madrid
Munich
Tokyo

Government
All branches and levels of local, state and federal government, as well Finnish, Polish and Swedish police agencies, Polish legislature

Utilities
AEP
Pacific Gas & Electric
El Paso Energy
Richmond Power & Light
Oman Power
Southern China Power

Other
Cisco Systems
GE
Sprint
Aetna Life Insurance
Blue Cross
URL: http://www.jupitersystems.com

LEARNINGs/REFLECTIONS:

The Speaker introduced their product the DEALER MANAGEMENT SYSTEM.
This system deals about vehicles and cars.
the following is the DMS Flow:

Presales--Vehicle Sales--After Sales

the System records all the happenings,concerns and services done with accordance with those cars o sale.

this are their Service Management General Features:
* Advance bookings/customer appointments
*Car maintenance or physical check-up/flat rate
*Repair Order(JOb Order)
*Repair estimates
*Customer Service History
*Technician time-in/time-out
*Parts requisitioning and Picking
*Service Invoice
*Warranty claims and Processing
*Field service Actions
*Service Reminders
*Customer Feedback

-All in all i was impresses and amazed by the Dealer Management System because i think it is
so appropriate with those car/vehicle related businesses. The System provides A more efficient and profitable program that will help the business blow to its highest Pedestal.
i think the System was made out of need and out of a powerful mind,
I can say so because the System is a Very Good Product of JUPITER SYSTEM INC.

The Second Seminar after The Jupiter is the hp (Invent) Philippines.

HP Solutions
Solutions to meet your every need...

Razz

» HP gt7725 Thin Client overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
Overview & highlighted features for the HP gt7725 Thin Client.
» HP Compaq t5710 Thin Client - HP
Links to suggested replacements for discontinued products, supplies & accessories (if applicable), and technical support.

» HP t5630w Thin Client overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
Overview & highlighted features for the HP t5630w Thin Client.

» HP t5630 Thin Client overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
Overview & highlighted features for the HP t5630 Thin Client.
» HP t5540 Thin Client overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
Overview & highlighted features for the HP t5540 Thin Client. Includes links to view detailed specifications, compare this model or series with other products, buy online.
» HP Compaq t5730w Thin Client overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
Overview & highlighted features for the HP Compaq t5730w Thin Client. Includes links to view detailed specifications, compare this model or series with other products.
» HP Compaq t5720 Thin Client - HP
Links to suggested replacements for discontinued products, supplies & accessories (if applicable), and technical support.

» HP Compaq t5735 Thin Client overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
Overview & highlighted features for the HP Compaq t5735 Thin Client. Includes links to view detailed specifications, compare this model or series with other products, buy online.

» HP t5545 Thin Client overview - HP Small & Medium Business products
Overview & highlighted features for the HP t5545 Thin Client. Includes links to view detailed specifications, compare this model or series with other products, buy online.
» Thin Clients at a glance - HP Small & Medium Business products
Summary of all HP Thin Clients currently available for purchase and recommended for Small & Medium Business.

REFERENCE SITE:http://search.hp.com/gwpheng/query.html?lang=en&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&qt=CLIENT&la=en&cc=ph

LEARNINGS/REFECTIONS:

The speaker Introduced their latest product which is the THIN CLIENT.
so, what is a 'Thin Client'?
(i'm referring to my notes)
-

* A Thin Client is a computing device without a hard drive, which desplays data and application form
remotely located services, blade pes and virtual desktops.
* It can be used independently,as a task specific computing device with a minimal set of applications installed.
* enhanced security
*Easy manageability
*High Reliability
*Environment-friendly
*Lower overall cost
*Hardened embedded OS
* Reboot to Restore/remove viruses
*Intelligent/ Secure USB
* no need for anti-virus
*1/4 failure rate
*solid state/ No noise
*Longer life
*onsite, Whole unit replacement
*up to 80% lower power(11w to 20w)
*Space saving
*efficient Shipping and handling
*reduced by 75% foam and board packaging
*Minimal heat Generated-Require less cooling
*Lower initial hardware cost

_-all i all the 'Thin Client' wipes it all! it's like 5 in 1 coffee
hmhmh....hehehe more than 5 actually.
I should say that THIN CLIENT is one of the best Solution HP Phuilippines has ever invented.
it is wise investing on the Thin Client.
The price justifies itself!

~FIn~

Last edited by Marlie E. Sisneros on Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://msisneros.blogspot.com/
Ma.AnnKristineTomada

Ma.AnnKristineTomada

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:13 am

COMDDAP Davao
creating IT… growing IT… winning IT…
July 2-4, 2009

COMDDAP Davao held at Apo View Hotel. This said event promotes new technology in the market. Also, they had sessions that help IT people, web developer etc. gain new ideas and knowledge in their fields. I had attended 3 of their sessions or seminars; HP Thin Client, Windows Server 2008 and Open Source for Business Application.
I was pretty amaze with this new technology HP (Hewlett Packard) presented, The Thin Clients. In this session, the speaker was Leonard Zapa, the Market Development Manager in Remote Client Solutions Group. Actually he was promoted this HP new contraption, what its functions and how will it benefits the buyer for its purpose. Thin Client is a computing device desktop and a solid state device. It does not have hard drive on it. According to the exhibitor, it is more reliable, stable and last longer compare to the thick desktop we usually have.
With its structure, it is thinner compare to our desk top. It has 8 USB ports, 2 of its port is place inside of it for the purpose to secure USB cannot be detached by accident. What good with this is that you don’t need for anti-virus because once it is detected it automatically shuts downs and reboots and remove viruses.
Below are the benefits that Thin Clients offers:
  • Enhance Security
    Easy Manageability
    Environment Friendly
    Lower Over-all Cost

Thin Client saves power consumption, 80% lower of your energy expenses. Users can save up to 11watts to 20 watts. It has minimal heat generated which requires less cooling that’s why Thin Client does not have fan inside of it. And because of its thin structure it really saves space.
Here below are the factors to be considered in analyzing the total cost of ownership in which Mr. Zapa mentioned:

Hard ware cost
Power consumption
Heat dissipate
Space saving
You really find this pretty amazing because of the features it offers.

Next session that I had attended was the Windows Server 2008. The exhibitor of this seminar was Lee L. Gorospe, a Technical Trainer of EDUPRO Inc. He discussed the following area in Windows Server 2008:

• Active Directory Roles
    Active Directory Rights Management Service
    Read Only Domain Controller
    Hyper V
    Network Access Protection
    Server Core

AD RMS (Active Directory Rights Management Service) is an information protection technology that works with AD RMS-enabled applications. This is to help safeguard digital information from unauthorized use. AD RMS is used as to restrict access to an organization’s intellectual property, limit the actions users can perform on content of the data or information and limit the risk of content being exposed outside the organization.
The good thing with this AD RMS is that if you want to protect sensitive files on MS Word, MS Excel or in MS Power Point it has features to set the rights to view, change or edit and print a particular file. You can even set its validity period. File can be set its expiration for its protection. Also in e-mails in the MS Outlook, you can restrict it from being sent it to the Internet and from being taken outside of the company especially the confidential e-mails of a company.

RODC (Read Only Domain Controller) is an option for deploying a new Domain Controller. This is recommended for Sites that are lacking IT personnel and security. Also this is the solution for Sites/Office that has no or poor physical server security.

Virtualization (Hyper V) is used to reduce costs, increases hardware utilization, optimizes the infrastructure and Improves server availability. It has the capabilities to bit locker (seamless, secure data encryption), live backup (Volume Shadow Service integration) and support for full or Server Core installations.
NAS (Network Access Protection) is a platform that enforces compliance with health requirements for network access or communication by the use of Internet Protocol security (IPsec). With this security to an unauthorized access would restrict.
Server Core, we need this to reduce the attack and servicing surface area. And it increases reliability and security and servers are optimized by role are easier to manage and maintain. It really benefits us by minimal server installation. This requires less disk space. It also saves money and time and assures more secure servers.

The last session I had attended was the Open Source for Business Application. Ben Aligre, a Project Manager of Spin Web, was the lecturer of this session. In this session we were just few, most of the people were web developer or IT people. He gave a situation to them on how many days would be able to create web site for ANCHOR recipe and how much it would cost for the to make this site. But before they gave their answer, Sir Ben started the discussion. Open Source is an approach to the decision develop, it is no vendor lock in the source is open and free to use. It is license software that is free for distribution and access to the source. I was confused the difference by the Free Software to Open Source, but one of my friends who had already enrolled the subject of FOS or Free Open Source explained it. According to her, there was confusion with the word of “free”. Because when you heard the “free software” they find it as cheap, worthless and useless. And that’s why they change it to Open Source. There are softwares that are non-proprietary or do not need license. These softwares are Lime wire, Transmission, Ubuntu, Open Office, Mozilla Fire fox, Thunder Bird, Pidgin, Gimshop, VLC and many more. After the discussion, they had talked the situation; many had answered 30 days or more but for Sir Aligre and company assumed that they can make it within 15 days with less expenses. It because no need for you to purchase software instead you just have to use open source software.
Back to top Go down
rosemie nunez

rosemie nunez

PostSubject: COMDDAP   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 5:38 am

Short description about COMDDAP:

Since then, COMDDAP has been maintained and financed by its members through dues, fees, contributions or donations, and banner by these specific objectives:
* Promote the use of information technology and elevate its standards in the Philippines;
* Make computers affordable and available to the masses;
* Provide and create opportunities for users to develop themselves to their fullest potentials;
* Supply the market with quality products at reasonable prices with good after-sales support;
* To work closely with the government, the private sector and international entities in promoting the use of information technology;
* Provide a forum of discussion on matters relating to the compute industry; and
* Foster and cultivate harmony, cordiality and camaraderie among the members so that they can work together as one for the benefit of the industry.

Last Thursday- july2 and Friday- july3. COMDDAP was held at the APO view hotel, Vanda function room. I arrived at the convention around 1:30 pm. Since I scheduled my sessions at 2:00pm, I spend my vacant time looking on the exhibits.
The Exhibitors were the following:
*ADOBE- it is the name for industry-leading network publishing software.
With tools that help users create, manage, and deliver graphically rich content to anyone, anywhere, on any device.
Also the COREL was there which produces full- featured, easy to use productivity, graphics and digital imaging software
*ASIANTECH- is the exclusive distributor of PC components.
*ASTECH PENGSON DISTRIBUTORS, INC.- is one of the leading wholesale distributors of cmputer and office line.
*AUTODESK- CAD software applications for specific industries.
*CANON MARKETING PHILS. INC.- has been providing cutting- edge imaging products, solutions and services to aid its customer in producing superior quality and prints for more than a decade.
*METROPRENEUR TRADING- is a supplier, wholesaler and retailer of printer consumables and accessories.
*RSA SECURITY- has a portfolio of solutions- including identity and access management, secure mobile and remote access, secure enterprise access and secure transactions, they are all designed to provide the most seamless security experience in the market.
*CHASE TECHNOLOGIES CORPORATION- is the leading provider of the bar code, automatic data collection and business management solutions.
*MICRODAA SYSTEM & MANAGEMENT INC.- has been a professional audio-visual and document solutions company for over 29 years.
*REDWOOD VENTURES- has over 20 years of specialization in the field of high-end display devices.
*DANPRO COMPUTER INKING SYSTEM CO.- one of the major ink providers in Mindanao. It is the total inking Solutions Company geared towards providing premium quality bulk ink and continuous ink supply systems.
*MYSQL/CRYSTAL REPORTS- is popular in web applications and acts as the database component of the Lamp, BAMP, MAMP, and WAMP platforms
*SYMANTEC- software application like Norton Antivirus, Intrusion, and Firewall offer a new breed of security partnership that meets security needs intended for the whole system
*FOXCHIT BUSINESS SYSTEMS- is the pioneer total solutions provider of up to date point of sale (POS) systems and terminals.
*NEO MANUFACTURING & SERVICES- customizes and delivers products to satisfy a myriod of customer requirements, from home entertainment to businiess computing.
*TILL N’ LABELS SYSTEMS MARKETING- is a fast growing company that offers point of sale cash registers, software and peripherals, data collectors, bar code printing machines and price labelers.
*GLEE ELECTRONICS, INC- is a distributor of high quality branded products such as hard drives, motherboards and processor, external storage devices, memory modules and flash drives. It is the exclusive distributor of AOC monitors – the number one PC monitor brand in the Philippines.
*NG KHAI DEVELOPMENT CORP.- provides ICT infrastructure, solutions and digital lifestyle products and services.
*TRINITY MARKETING- one of the major distributors of computer peripherals, office and school supplies. It is exclusive distributor of Fullmark products such as inkjet refills and cartridges, fax imaging film, photo paper and other consumables.
*WORDTEXT SYSTEM. INC.- distributes only the best branded IT products in the hardware and software categories.
*MCAFEE- is the leading provider of anti-virus and intrusion prevention solutions
*NOVELL- is a global leader in providing enterprise class solutions and support for commercial and open source software, infrastructure software and sevices or over 20years in 43 countries.

I joined the following sessions on July 2, 2009 (Thursday):
*The HP Thin Clients that was during 2:00pm up to 3:00pm
*Retail Management System Overview that was during 3:00pm up to 4:00pm
*Open Source for Business Application that was during 4:00pm up to 5:00pm

During the HP Thin Client Session:(By Nexus Technology Inc.)
In all the session this was my favorite because the speaker was giving away flash drives at the end of his presentation. Sad to think I was not able to have one because I was not luckily called to answer his question. But I enjoy the session I learn new things about the presentation.

Thin Clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network.
They discuss this following business issues and also what were the solutions of the thin Client:
*Desktop replacement cost
*Network security
*Supporting application software on diverse hardware
*Ensuring your data remains accessible and secure.

During the Retail Management System Overview: (By: Nexus Professional Services and Solutions (NPSS))
I can relate on the topics presented by this session. It was all about the management system in business.

The Philippine retail industry continues to thrive despite the global financial crisis. Retailers challenge with multi-branch servicing cost need a scalable solution to bring sales orders to each branches, promote inter brand stock sharing and send sales information to the head office seamlessly.
Find out how you can have enterprise-class tools to analyze data at a fraction of the cost. The need for timely business information helps you improve your bottom line, restore order to multi- branch stores and meet geographical challenges.

During the Open Source For Business Application: (By: Spinweb Productions, Inc.)
In this session I learned many things, like the difference between open source and free source. It made me had an idea also in going to open source.

As companies cut IT spending by up to 10 percent, its income generating prospects need not suffer. Open Source development of business application has proven to lower acquisition costs, and decrease vendor lock-in reliance and obsolescence rate so that even commercial software giants have acknowledge the rise of this technology by allowing interoperability.
Discover how the use of Internet- based Open Source platforms is a viable alternative for developing systems such as corporate, e-commerce, CRM, employment, publishing and collaborative sites.

The activity was a great experience. It made us students be updated to some technology in this generation.

RESOURCES:
http://comddap.org/

KINDLY VISIT MY TIME AND DROP SOME COMMENTS.. at rosemienp.blogspot.com TNX

Last edited by rosemie nunez on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://rosemienp.blogspot.com
jerald jean pullos

jerald jean pullos

PostSubject: LEARNINGS in COMMDAP   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 10:58 am

Our facilitator required us to attend seminar in the Apo View Hotel. It was COMMDAP, an exhibit of the dealers and distributors of computer devices and other gadgets, that was held last July2-4, 2009 at the Grand Ballroom, Apo Bayview Hotel, Davao City.

But before attending the seminar we have to undergo processes. Our facilitator instruct us to visit our forum , in his website and look for his instruction there. We found lot of comments posted there asking of what website we should register and suddenly our classmate post a clickable link in which you will automatically go to the nexus group filling up page for registration for their seminar, in this page there is also check boxes in which you will be going to chose in what session you like to attend. Since our facilitator posted that we get the PM session so, we click the 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5 sessions.

But when our facilitator met us two days before the seminar he told us that only two sessions our required for us to attend. So, we decided to attend the 1-2 and 2-3 session.

And then the time has come… whee! We together with our classmates were very excited because it was the first time that we will going to attend a seminar at the Apo View Hotel.

Before entering the grand Ballroom, we first go to the student registration booth in which the assigned staff gave us a sticker that serves as our ID to get into the hall. As expected, there were a lot of people there and booths of different company. We have first sightseeing to the products. And then we find the seminar room. Before entering the room, we first signed to the paper in which our name was printed and then we came into the room. Then the speaker also came in. oh my gosh! The speaker was quite cute hehehe… I thought only students will going to attend in the seminar but I was wrong because there are lot of company representatives are present during the seminar. We feel quite happy for attending seminars with businessmen and professionals.

The presentation of slide of the speaker has started. And it was all about the Dealer Management System

Sound interesting, a the speaker started to talk, huh? Was first come into my mind because It was actually all about a car dealership. I cant relate because car is not on my list of interest coz all I want is to ride a car. But still I listened and take notes for assignments purposes.

The DMS (Dealer management System) as the speaker said, “ is the complete and-to-end solution for auto dealers”. And this system helps them a lot for their sales and business transactions. The speaker introduces his self as a representative of the Jupiter Systems, Inc. from the main office in Luzon. Their company is said to be one of the pioneers in Enterprise resource planning system in the Philippines, some of the brands of cars their dealing are Mitsubishi, mazda, Volvo, Honda and Mercedes benz.

The DMS helps their company’s services to the clients and also for their operation in the company that includes the accounting, importation of products and other. It also helps in making financial reports. They also had modules in which it serves as their guidelines in managing the dealership.

They also had guidelines during pre-sales, and after sales which help them lot in dealing during this period of time, in which they undergo monitoring, in which the staff will monitor from the clients inquiry to the actual close of deal.

Second, the sales quotation processing, that presents the prize of the car and the details of its accessories.

Third, sales appointments, in which the clients sets appointments to the sales representative regarding the car he want to close deal with.

They also had vehicle sales administration, in which they sale brand new vehicles and even second hand vehicles. The VSA has the agreement processing that includes the reservation and deposit collection of the company, and pricing of the cars and how much Is the discount if the client will buy the vehicle in cash.

If they had pre-sales, of course they also had after-sales in which they present the parts and accessories of the car to the clients.

They also had service management, in which they offer maintenance of the car after sales.

It also includes the repair of the car and how much is the flat rate or the amount per hour of the services of their technician.

one of their good feature is that every services on repair has a limitation, so that the technician wouldn’t take advantage instead they work excellent and fast. In their Service management, also includes the warranty of the vehicle.

The second session, I’ve attended was also an interesting one because it is an endorsement of a portable CPU named thin client. This was endorsed by the second speaker, a representative from HP or Neoware,Inc. he introduced their product, he thin client, it is a computing device, that has no hard drive, and displays data and applications. The good thing about this thin client, that according to the speaker is that it is not dependent on servers.

It also has a high performance, in which you can easily be connected to the internet. And can browse easily to web application solutions. They also present the benefits you will get by choosing to use the HP products. Or the thin client to be specific.

First, it secures data because it has planted UPS (universal power saver) so you don’t need to buy UPS, so in case of black outs worry no more because you have enough time to save your work. And in case problems about viruses occur, the files you have in your computer will be secured because it was deep frozen in which the viruses will automatically erased if you turn of your computers.

Another advantage is that it is environment friendly, it can easily be managed because of portability and it is not time consuming because it was thin and of course you can have it at lower price. Because of its features and benefits many schools and universities, and business and government offices are using the thin client. After the presentation of all the features of the thin client, there was a question and answer portion in which the speaker gives a souvenir to the person who can answer to the question given.
Back to top Go down
http://jeraldjeanpullos.blogspot.com
Joseph Ethel Valdez

Joseph Ethel Valdez

PostSubject: COMDDAP 2009   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 11:36 am

COMDDAP 2009

About COMDDAP
THE POWER OF INTERDEPENDENCE COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technolgy businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

Learning and Reflection
Before we attend the COMDDAP 2009 on July 2, 2009 at the Apo View Hotel we ensure that we already registered the 1:00-5:00 pm sessions. We arrived to the Apo View Hotel at exactly 12:30pm five minutes before the time so that we can prepare our self. We gather ourselves outside in the hotel and we go as a group. First thing we do we get a student sticker for us to recognize. As we enter the hotel's grand ballroom attaching our student stickers, the room were filled with the booths of different companies are there participating the events. We turn around the hotel's grand ballroom getting some flyers and promotion prints from the different companies. Some of our classmates take some picture and exploring the world of technology through this event. Some of the companies join in the event are well-known in terms of technological advancement. Some of well known companies are hp invent, red fox, Smart Bro, neo, dell, GH depot and etc. After these we proceed to the session hall of Apo View Hotel.

Before entering to the session hall, we find our name and sign in to ensure if we are registered to that session. Some of the participants are student from the University of Southeastern Philippines. The first exhibitor of the nexus group is the Jupiter Systems Inc. and the ERIC (Enterprise Resource Information and Control) DMS. The speaker of this company is Mr. Celmer Santos. He talk about a brief history of there company. Jupiter Systems Inc. (JSI) is a Philippine-based IT company dedicated to delivering business solutions for medium to large companies globally. JSI is one of the most experienced software houses in the Philippines and was one of the pioneers of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) in the country. The company has been delivering business solutions for the past 25 years. This is a management for financial, personnel, distribution and manufacturing for auto dealerships. There unique HR functionalities for Hong Kong Airport Services (HAS).Extended employee master files containing accident/insurance information, reporting, recording of disability/injuries and specialized maintenance and tracking for leaves, loans, and other non-monetary benefits. This company provides solution for auto dealerships. After that, some of the participants of that event asked question regarding in there company and the services they offered.

After the ERIC DMS, we proceed to the next session which is HP invent Think Big, Go Thin: HP Thin Client. The speaker of this company is Mr. Leonard Zapa. Everybody we very excited because they where be giving tokens such as T-shirts, optical mouse and USB flash disks. The exhibitor introduce there newest product the Thin Client. For the word itself “thin” it is small object. Thin clients are computing devices that function as an access device on a network. These solid-state devices connect over a network to a server where the bulk of the processing takes place. Thin clients have no hard drive, allowing for more secure storage of data and applications on the server. In fact, keystrokes, mouse events and screen images are all that is sent between the client and server. This makes the device much more secure than a standard desktop or notebook computer. With no hard drive, fan or other moving parts, thin clients have a much longer lifespan than standard computers and use significantly less power. Lower maintenance costs are another benefit as software application updates, virus scanning and patches can be executed on the server. Deployment costs are also reduced as thin clients can be remotely configured and do not need to be set up individually. Break-fix simply requires replacing the thin client. Thin clients are ideal solution for today's healthcare, industrial, retail, financial and education industries offering a number of benefits to your business. The benefits of these are enhanced security, easier manageability, high reliability, increased energy efficiency and lower total cost of ownership. HP thin client can also be a desktop replacement costs, network security, data access to mobile or remote workers, supporting application software on diverse hardware, or ensuring your data remains accessible and secure. The first word comes in my mouth when I heard this device is “It’s amazing”. After that the most awaited part of all participant the question and answers portion. Most who got the correct answer is from the USEP and they get the tokensBoth of these companies are member of nexus group. Nexus maintains a strong network of IT solutions providers culled carefully from a genuine passion to provide solutions that offer genuine business advantage. The company has never been afraid to actively push new products. A local pioneer in solutions-based reselling, Nexus carried Hewlett-Packard and Microsoft back when they were new players in the server market. It approaches the business today with the same bravado. . Most of the exhibitor came from different parts of the Philippines gather in this spectacular event.

We finished the two consecutive sessions with the learning’s and concept about the two companies. Some of our classmate attended the last session but I and my other classmate go to the exhibit area to explore more advance technology. Being an Information Technology Student we must be updated to what is happening in terms of technology improvements. Through this event we experience the wonder of technology.

References: http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/itservices/
http://www.jupitersystems.com.ph/itservices/about.aspx
http://www.nexustech.com.ph/about.htm

my blog: http://jevaldez.blogspot.com/ Laughing Smile
Back to top Go down
sharlyn joy pines

sharlyn joy pines

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) EmptyThu Jul 09, 2009 1:01 pm

A GLIMPSE at COMDDAP...

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Logo_c10

COMDDAP DAVAO EXPO 2009

COMDDAP stands for: Computer Manufacturers, Distributors, and Dealers Association of the Philippines

What is COMDDAP all about?

COMDDAP is an association of the country's top information technology businesses. Its primary objective is to promote the sustainable development of the of the country's information technology industry through voluntary collaboration of its member companies. It is the goal of COMDDAP to be able to provide its members general views and updates from different sectors - private and government, and highly regarded individuals to further uplift the morale and knowledge of its organization.

The Seminar...

July 02, 2009 marks the two-day exhibit visit of the IT sectors at the Apo View Hotel here in Davao. And as an IT student, we are told to attend the seminars conducted by the Nexus Group as what I have seen on the screen.
The exhibit composed of different technology products such as latest phenomenal gadgets, computer stuffs and different kind of technology. Anyway, I haven’t spent much time on roaming around to examine those displayed things but I have attended seminar on four different topics.

Here are the interesting topics that we were able to attend:

Like a Star @ heaven Enterprise Resource Information and Control (ERIC-DMS)
Like a Star @ heaven Brilliant Dealer Management System
Like a Star @ heaven HP Thin Client
Like a Star @ heaven Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System
Like a Star @ heaven Open Source for Business Applications

1. ERIC-DMS

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Compdm11

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Eric10

Presented by Mr. Celmer L. Santos from Jupiter Systems, Incorporated. He talked much on Brilliant Dealer Management System that widely used by Car Businesses. Anyway, Jupiter Systems, Inc. is a 24- year old software company and one of the members of the ERP systems of the Philippines. Their clients include Mitsubishi, Honda, Mazda, Volvo, and Nissan. Their Database Management Systems flow starts with the pre-sales, then vehicle sales and last is the after sales.

The Jupiter Systems’ has also Service Management General Features which are the following:

Like a Star @ heaven Advance bookings or Customer appointments
Like a Star @ heaven Operation maintenance or FLAT rates
Like a Star @ heaven Repair orders
Like a Star @ heaven Repair Estimates
Like a Star @ heaven Customer Service History
Like a Star @ heaven Technician Time-in or Time-out
Like a Star @ heaven Parts requisitioning and picking
Like a Star @ heaven Service invoicing
Like a Star @ heaven Warranty claims and processing
Like a Star @ heaven Field Service Actions (Campaigns)

2.HP Company

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Hp_im10

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Th_c10
(The Thin Client)

Presented by Leonard Zapa, Market Deveopment Manager of HP Company. He started with talking about Linux, CE, and XPe.

He also mentioned the following topics:

Like a Star @ heaven Data security, reliability
Like a Star @ heaven Management
Like a Star @ heaven Remote PC alternatives
Like a Star @ heaven Virtualization
Like a Star @ heaven Lower TCO
Like a Star @ heaven Broadband and related

(Challenge for IT Professionals)

Like a Star @ heaven Provide information security
Like a Star @ heaven Deployment and maintenance
Like a Star @ heaven Total cost of ownership (TCO)

He also introduced the widely used HP Thin Client. This is a computing device without a hard drive and can be used independently.

Here some of its features:

Like a Star @ heaven Enhanced security
Like a Star @ heaven Easy manageability
Like a Star @ heaven High reliability
Like a Star @ heaven Environment – friendly
Like a Star @ heaven Lower overall costs

Also he sites its advantages over the usual PC power system:

Like a Star @ heaven Hardened embedded OS
Like a Star @ heaven Free Management Tools
Like a Star @ heaven ¼ failure rate, 10x higher MTBF
Like a Star @ heaven 10x higher MTBF
Like a Star @ heaven Longer life
Like a Star @ heaven ONSITE, Whole unit replacement
Like a Star @ heaven Up to 80% lower power
Like a Star @ heaven Space saving
Like a Star @ heaven Reduced (by 75%) foam and board (by 40%) packaging
Like a Star @ heaven Minimal heat
Like a Star @ heaven Lower initial hardware

Well I guess, the audience are more alive when the discussions was about to end. Why not? The speaker had given tokens for those who can answer their questions. 2-Gig Flash drives, t-shirts and the most exciting is the last token which is an 8-Gig USB. Wow! Usepians got most of the token.

3. Microsoft Dynamics Retail Management System

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Rms10

I could remember that the speaker had mentioned that one of the clients of this system is Petron.

RMS Key Features:

Like a Star @ heaven Inventory control and tracking
Like a Star @ heaven Purchase orders. Pricing, sales, and promotions
Like a Star @ heaven Sales Tracking
Like a Star @ heaven Powerful, flexible reports

Key Benefits:

Like a Star @ heaven Streamline operations
Like a Star @ heaven Improve profit margins
Like a Star @ heaven Build customer loyalty
Like a Star @ heaven Manage business, not technology
Like a Star @ heaven Have a life outside your business

4.Open Source for Business Applications of the Spinweb Productions, Incorporated

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comp_o10

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comp_o11

The speaker asked the audience particularly those who are employed of their definition about Open source. Some shared the following understanding: source code, free, open, contributor, no license, etc.

As the discussions go deeper, it was cleared that Open Source has license but only that it is free. Unlike any other proprietary software you have to pay the licenses that are obviously expensive.

Also the speaker talks about the benefits of using Open Source over Proprietary soft wares applications.

Like a Star @ heaven Reliable
Like a Star @ heaven widely used
Like a Star @ heaven highly scalable
Like a Star @ heaven proven performance

Some of the sites that were given are:

l⭐ ullabot.com
Like a Star @ heaven joomlapolis.com
Like a Star @ heaven joomla.org.ph
Like a Star @ heaven openwp.org.

Some of Open Source Software:

Like a Star @ heaven Ubuntu
Like a Star @ heaven GIMP
Like a Star @ heaven Open office
Like a Star @ heaven PHP
Like a Star @ heaven OS commerce
Like a Star @ heaven MySql
Like a Star @ heaven Mozilla
Like a Star @ heaven Drupal

WHY we have to use Open Source Software?
• No vendor Locking
• Large Support
• More Secure

Here are the snap shots....

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comp110

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Comp2210

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Exhibi10

Evaluation:

Well obviously, it’s another experience that would add up our learning. Seeing different kinds of new technology trends, and experiencing to know more about it must be another thing. As an IT student and a future IT professional, it is an opportunity to expose ourselves in the current trends of the growing technology. It is a challenge for us to be more aware of the world that we are going to travel in the near future. The fast changing IT environment challenged us to go deeper in our chosen field. Also, it was so nice to meet those people who shares their experiences and who promote their respective career. And before I forgot, I was stuck with the conversation, I mean when (Jaime?) intervene the discussions and talks the automated election issue. He shares that the said electoral reform with regards to software’s do not guarantee best performance yet when talks about software, he suggested that many things have to be considered before choosing either open source or proprietary.

THE END…

please do visit my BLOG: http://www.sharlynjoypines.blogspot.com

Last edited by sharlyn joy pines on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)   COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009) Empty

Back to top Go down

COMDDAP 2009 Learnings/Reflections (Due: July 10, 2009)
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next