USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)

Go down 
+18
charmaine anne quadizar
ermilyn anne magaway
ace sandoval
Mary Rossini Diamante
ronie_biloy
SherylCaguimbaga
Ronic.Concepcion
ymrebmomville
John Deo Luengo
Melgar John Gascal
George Dan Gil
angel mae b. brua
Karren D. Adarna
mariechelle alcoriza
Kate Mariel Dizon
Cherryannmontejo
hannah rhea hernandez
eyesee
22 posters
AuthorMessage
eyesee

eyesee

Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Empty
PostSubject: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 9:43 pm

Identify and discuss key factors for publishing research in top-tier journals like CSP, ACM, i3E, etc.
Back to top Go down
hannah rhea hernandez

hannah rhea hernandez

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:08 pm

Making a research study is complex. It needs time, proper management, focus, effort and proper funding to succeed. Having a research to be published in top-tier journals such as CSP, ASM and i3E says that, that research has been made with more effort, passion, and dedication and is of high importance to the sector it belongs to and to the community.

From what I read at acm.org, in ACM's Right and Responsibilities in ACM Publishing, a research that wants to recognized/published it has to pass several processes namely; Reviewing, Processing of Accepted Works and Dissemination. In i3e rules, “research must not be submitted twice to another conference”. Considering the originality of your research is not the end of the consideration; novelty, impact to the readers and content of your research must also be considered, because your research will also be categorized. Thus, we can see how tightly these top-tier journals evaluate research works before considering of publishing it.

As to what factors they apply in their decision making, most of it are also the same factors employed in judging a simple research paper.

First and foremost, “Is it original? Is it unique? Is it timely?”. Topic originality and uniqueness are the most important factor. Though it is true that some research works are a bit similar to one another and that is why review of related research is a component of making a research paper but then the present must showcase a new side and solution to that old problem. No two research works can ever be the same. But then if your research paper tackles problems the society is dealing today, which refers to your study being timely then it is much better than a problem tackled more than a decade.

The second concern would be, “Is your study relevant?”. Mostly all research works done are relevant and because of this another question is raised and that is “How relevant is it?”. If the study is believed to be more relevant or beneficial to its appointed audience or to the society as a whole, then it will have higher chances of being chosen to be published in a top-tier journal.

Next, would be the type of research you are doing. If the research your doing is a bit more on the technical side, it has a better chance of being in a top-tier journal than a social one. Another would be research approach. This deals with the citations used in your study. The rate of publication of your work depends upon how you cited other’s work. If your citations are merely on the flaws of the other’s work it has a low rate of publication or may not be published at all. Otherwise, if you improve his work, and given with proper credit the publication’s rate is high.

If the topic you are raising is already deemed valid and valuable, and the methodologies you have used to prove your hypothesis are already tested for and is proved to be accurate then what’s left to be critiqued now is how you wrote it. As a colleague of min said, "You may have to follow a style that would not be pleasing to the English department".”
The journal you made must follow a particular “standard” way of writing a research paper, whether it is by the APA or other commonly used formal writing style. But since its for a top-tier journal, then they must have a particular writing style you are advised to make use of.

Another factor would the packing of your whole paper. This strategy deals with the overall "look" of your paper. It was stated in the paper that you have to make the main point in your study earlier in the body. Compare and explain the result of your work to others with similar studies and state its contribution to other’s work. In short, "try to see them as others might see them, initially with a skeptical eye".

Footnotes are also essential in their consideration. According to the paper I have read footnotes serve us two purposes. Footnotes allow us to not make our paper very long because we may just cite some references so we may not write them in detail.

Though this is not a proper factor, we can say that an author’s track record is also a significant consideration because we can’t deny the fact if the author is already well-known to have produced relevant research works in the past, a level of respect from the board or panel of judges and a level of anticipation to his new research work. That is why it is undeniable that some writers include the names of established scientists even though they just contribute a little in their work.
Experience is one of the factors too. The authors know the pitfalls and obstacles in publishing, more especially in top-tier journals; that is why it could be easier for them for the next paper to be published.

As I mentioned above, all of these criteria are also used in judging a “simple” research paper, so I believe that the only difference is that top-tier journals have only higher standards. Therefore, selecting a work to be published should also be of high quality because it reflects the totality of a company's reputation. Overall, these are some factors in publishing research: originality, uniqueness, timeliness, reliability, coherence, competence, ethics, and credibility.

Back to top Go down
http://woophie.blogspot.com
Cherryannmontejo

Cherryannmontejo

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySat Sep 05, 2009 2:25 pm

Identify and discuss key factors for publishing research in top-tier journals like CSP, ACM, i3E, etc.

Today, there are lots of means that exist in order for the researchers to get their name in print. I myself also wanted it. Sometimes, researchers published their works for financial self-interest because it is a great evidence of productivity. This will mean that once a research work is published, money comes after. Who else won’t want it right?

Publishing a research work is similar to completing an experiment. It has been said that a scientific experiment is not complete until the results have been published.ยน But before a research work will be published especially in top-tier journals, it also go through lots of selection process. Research papers that are published in top journals like CSP, ASM or i3E are guarantees that the research is exceptional.

Originality is one credible factor but there are still instances that people are still able to get their work published even if it seems similar to the previous published work. There are papers that are assessed as valuable confirmations rather than as original contributions to knowledge. Another consideration also in assessing a piece of research work is the manuscript topic. Mostly in top tier journals, a hot topic is more likely to be published than a paper dealing with a currently unfashionable subject.

The criteria publishers use as measures for accepting a paper is not a cut-and-dried process, it is infinitely variable and flexible. Many uses peer review for criterion but in particular this is not a simple criterion. Some journals may send an article to three to five reviewers and the editor make an informed judgment by weighing all reviews. Other journals may send an article to a single reviewer and make a simple yes or no decisions based on one review. Some journals may do a lot more editorial work with an author while others take manuscripts more or less as submitted.
Although the review process can be flexible, acceptance criteria are quite typical. Experts consulted offer simple advice for optimizing publishing success and many say influential factors include the need for clarity, originality of thought, completeness and good writing. But I think, mostly in top tier journals most elegant research is usually simple and direct.

However, since we are not all perfect even editors are also human; therefore they can be influenced by a name they recognized. Maybe that is also a reason why many papers includes the name of established scientist among their authors even when the established names may have been contributed little to the work. This kind of practice is frequently used even in some small institutions of peers.

Experiences gained also from previous publishing helps as well. Researchers who have already experienced publishing their research work know some of the pitfalls and obstacles that hinder the publishing process especially in the top-tier journals. Because once a person has developed a skill to publish a paper, the next papers are much easier to publish. Because publishing is the currency in which researches deal.

[1] http://ctl.stanford.edu/Tomprof/postings/316.html

cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
http://authenticallyblack.blogspot.com/
Kate Mariel Dizon

Kate Mariel Dizon

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 2:10 pm

Since there is no maximum number of words required, I’ll keep my answer short and straight to the point. Very Happy

Based on a conference of OOPSLA (Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications), a successful research paper emphasizes significance, clarity, novelty, and correctness. The significance must motivate why the research is important or useful and explain what problem it addresses. For a research to demonstrate clarity, the paper must be well-organized and clearly written. All claims made should be supported. Novelty involves extending the frontier of knowledge and explicitly relating your research to previous work. Finally, correctness requires you to critically evaluate and support your claims with proofs, an implementation, examples or experiments.

There is a policy against submitting a research paper to multiple venues. In the OOPSLA specification, a paper may be rejected unless it satisfies all three of the following conditions:
1. The submission sites the other paper
2. The submission contains a substantial result worthy of publication that the other paper does not, and
3. The overlapping material is primarily background material.

More generally, if you want to submit your paper to a publication, you have to know what kind of publication you are submitting it to. Before submitting, try to read several of the papers they publish so that you will know if your paper will fit into their requirements. Papers must be written for a specific audience.

First, you, as the author/researcher, have to ask yourself some preliminary questions to make sure that the studies are designed to answer precisely the research question under examination, that the experiments meet accepted standards, and that the process of record-keeping of the research is agreed-upon by the research community. Subsequently, the research has to be assessed constantly in order to decide whether it is suitable for submission. A paper that “records significant experimental, theoretical or observational extensions of knowledge, or advances in the practical application of known principles” is worth publishing.

ACM and IEEE are two of the most prestigious journal publications and they tend to have the highest standards for a research paper to be published. Submitting a research paper for publication to journals like ACM and IEEE can be very exhausting. There are two major obstacles that your paper has to go through: the editors and the reviewers.

An essential factor in publishing your paper is the Peer Review Process. The peer review process ensures publishable quality of research papers. During this time, the reviewers may recommend to continue the paper, while others may be a little skeptical.

Below is a UML activity diagram which depicts the main actors and activities in the publishing process:

Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Uml10

The first step is taken by the author, which is submitting the paper to a journal. Of course, before he submits the journal, it is assumed that he has already checked and complied with the requirements of the publication he’s submitting it to. During submission, the author has to specifically follow the submission guidelines of the publication because most editors will automatically reject papers that do not follow their guidelines even without looking into the actual content of the paper.

If the paper passes the step above, then reviewers for the paper are selected. These are usually the people who are experts in the particular topic discussed by the paper under review. In this stage, the following items are taken into the most consideration:
1. Thematic relevance to the journal’s scope of subjects
2. Significance of contribution
3. Originality of the work
4. Coverage of related literature

In terms of the writing style, the following items are reviewed:
1. Clarity of writing
2. Appropriate title and abstract
3. Appropriate use of well-designed figures and tables
4. Sound conclusion and discussion
5. Length of the paper relative to its usefulness

Some additional factors that may affect the reviews for a paper are:
1. Strong reputation of the author
2. Successful test of the proposed theory
3. Different content than usually published in the journal

When the reviewers finished reviewing and making recommendations, the next step will be done by the editor. He will make the decision whether to accept the paper as is, accept conditionally, or reject and the author will also be notified of this decision.

Upon receiving the decision, if the paper still needs revisions before it can be published, then the author will have to make the revisions and resubmit it to the editor for another review. If found satisfactory, the paper will finally be forwarded to the publisher for publishing.

References:

Michael Derntl, 2009. Basics of Paper Writing and Publishing.
ACM SIGPLAN International Conference on OOPSLA, October 2006.
Back to top Go down
http://katemarieldizon.blogspot.com/
mariechelle alcoriza

mariechelle alcoriza

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 11:44 am

First and foremost, before I discuss the key factors, I just want to say what’s really on my mind right now, doing a research and coming up with a good research topic is really a tough job. As what Ms. Hernandez said above, it needs time, focus, effort and proper funding. I totally agree with that. Almost everyone in the class is really having a hard time in coming up with a good research topic. I think what is more important is it’s usefulness to the people, what I am trying to say is that we should come up with a topic wherein it’s simple but useful. Anyway, as what I have said above, the difficulty of coming up with a good topic is also same as true with publishing a research in the top-tier journals.

Let me discuss it one by one, from the most simple down to the complicated (I am not sure if “complicated” is the right term, hehe). Anyway, I think, one of the simplest factors that a researcher should follow is the standards of writing, most probably the proper citing of references, providing good English or the most appropriate word is the grammar or the proper usage of words. The researcher should also include glossary, perhaps if there are words that are unfamiliar with the readers. Another factor is the presentation of the research. The research should be easily understood by the readers and would catch their attention.

Next, it’s the timeliness and relevance of the information or the research, example; right now we are doing a research with regards to the Green Computing. Yes, it’s timely, since each and every one of us are experiencing global warming and climate change. We should think and research well on how to minimize the emissions of different harmful gases. In the aspect of technology which is one of the major contributors to global warming, we should do something that could lessen the impact of it to the environment by providing means and services that could protect the environment. Of course, the timeliness of the information would result to another factor which is the impact of it to the people.

Then, another factor would be the precision of the research. This would answer the following questions like does it follow the specific standards? Does the source of the information reliable? Was the information correct? Does the information itself is consistent? What are the methods or the methodologies used? Is the methodology appropriate for the research? Things like those.

As the saying goes it is easier to say than doing it. Doing a research is a tough job. As far as I can remember, in one of our class discussions, a good researcher should be patient and should be full of enthusiasm. If we will just persevere and if we will just give and do our best, time will come that everything we’ve done will be rewarded it may not be money but with the blessings from up above.
Back to top Go down
Karren D. Adarna

Karren D. Adarna

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Sep 17, 2009 5:36 pm

Publishing a research in top-tier journals like CSP, ACM and i3E is never easy. There are many research papers made but only few are published. Top-tier journals like CSP implements various requirements that should be achieved by research papers before it could be published.

There are also some important factors that should be considered. Influential factor is one thing that must be considered. This includes originality of thought, novelty of finding, organization and completeness of the paper. They will examine how unique and original the research is and how is it written, how complete and precise the words being use are and how is it organized as it is written. Experience is a great factor too. The author must be somehow familiar to his research and if possible is able to experience it. Another factor that must be considered is the author’s track record. He or she must know the names of the persons that are evolved or are able to give even a little contribution to his/her research topic. The relevance of the research is also an important factor that they will examine. Is the study related to the field or area that it specialized?

These are only some of the factors for publishing research in top-tier journals. There are still few that I fail to mention but the above are the most common ones.

http://ctl.stanford.edu/Tomprof/postings/316.html
Back to top Go down
angel mae b. brua

angel mae b. brua

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 7:32 pm

Top-tier journals are not that low level kind of journals. Example of the top tier journals are CSP, ACM, i3E. ACM is the world’s largest educational and scientific computing society, delivers resources that advance computing as a science and a profession. ACM provides the computing field's premier Digital Library and serves its members and the computing profession with leading-edge publications, conferences, and career resources. “The Association has become aware of a check fraud scheme where fraudulent checks that appear to come from the Association for Computing Machinery are being used to purchase items from Craigslist or possibly eBay. The Association does not make such purchases. You should contact your local police authorities if you receive one of these fraudulent checks.”, based from their website, http://www.acm.org/. ACM is said to be one of the leading deliverers of good quality journals. That is why, ACM is said to be one of the top-tier journals in the world today. Next journal is the I3E or the Institute 3E. I3E was been founded by Jon DiFlorio with their motto of “True success reflects a mutual commitment to excellence and integrity.”. Institute 3E has devoted themselves to discovering the path to athletic excellence. The answer is multifaceted, and Institute 3E has created a unique training facility with programs that are transforming athletic careers. “Traditional strength training often fails to include key elements that are essential for continued athletic superiority. New discoveries in sports science are shedding light on ways to achieve peak performance. Institute 3E is on the cutting edge of these conclusive approaches by incorporating physical conditioning, mental edge coaching, sports nutrition, lifestyle enhancement, as well as integrated medicine. Each athlete receives individual evaluations leading to personalized programming guaranteed to redefine and improve the athlete's speed, strength and overall abilities, and extract peak performances on a regular basis. No one is more committed to athletic success than Insititute 3E.”, from http://www.institute3e.com/about-me/. ACM and I3E differ itself because basically ACM is a scientific computing society while the I3E is for athletic issues and news. Why are they become popular in their line of field?

Being a journalist during my elementary and in my high school days, I have gone to many activities and seminars to enhance my writing skills. But I don’t know it has been enhanced. So my answer in this question would basically base on the learning’s I have learned during that year, if could still remember it.

In writing or creating a journal, it should be precise and on time. Precise or be exact is the right word to be exact. Sometimes, journalist writes their own topic just according to their points of view or in relation with what they feel. They sometimes draw different corners from what they are writing. Meaning, “paligoy-ligoy effect”. and sometimes they add words or create issues on which it is not real, just to gather the sympathy of the audience or for their personal intentions only. Exactness of the article should be base on time. Do not write an article today which is done yesterday. But in research, it is different. You can write a good research paper based on what has been searched in the past. Next in line is that, write an article which is unique. Article sometimes tend to have its duplicate idea or duplicate issue or topic. One of my adviser in elementary said that in one topic, there are lots of ideas that can be used in order to make a good article about the topic alone even if you have lots of competitors in the trend. Write an article which is different and have different taste from the others. Next is the reliability. Write an article which is really reliable. Do not create or write an article that it was just been intended to catch the audience interest even if there were issues and false issues on it. A good writer should possess a good quality of being reliable as well so that the audience will love the article even the journalist too. Next is the relevance. Same with that it is precise and on time. The article should be relevant to the public’s interest. So that the reader’s won’t say that the article is from another planet or where places in the world. Next is the presentation. The presentation should be ideal and can be seen neatly and clearly. It also should be in proper order so that the reader can read it nice. Next is the credibility. Credibility is the real basis of a good journal. Once the credibility is questioned, no audience will still be interested in reading or purchasing the journal. The main factor of a good journalism is towards the audience directly. To impress directly but not to the extent that the writer should write lies on their journals.

Back to top Go down
http://www.gelaneam.blogspot.com
George Dan Gil

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 11:18 am

Identifying and discussing key factors for publishing research in top-tier journals like CSP, ACM, i3E, etc.

There are Basic Key Factors for You to Consider for publishing your research topics.
If you make decision to self publish your research topics, you need to take into consideration a number of key factors, more so in fact than if you were looking to publish in the traditional way. Some of the key factors have already been discussed by my classmates as it is the standard for publishing your work.

Among many of the key factors to consider when deciding to self published, one of the first things you must decide upon is which future your research targeted at? Is it simply something that you want to show to friends, professors or classmates, or is it going to be implemented for the world to see and recognize your work? This is an important question in so much as it may influence your choice of researcher. By answering these questions we can identify our goals whether you want your research to be hanging up with all the dusts in the cabinet or to be implemented after your research has been approved. Sadly most people doing research just for showing their documents on research but doe not apply it.

As with any form of research publication, another key factor to consider when self publishing, is the competition that you may be up against. It is highly advisable to spend a little time researching as to what titles and subjects are already on the market that would be in direct competition with you. After all you don’t want to spend all that time writing your manuscript only to find that there are literally hundreds of virtually identical offerings already out there! This also means you have to consider the uniqueness of your research topic. Of if ever your research has already been made then you have to think of an idea that will make it different to previous one, improving the former research is also applicable.
Back to top Go down
Melgar John Gascal

Melgar John Gascal

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 3:47 pm

Identify and discuss the key factors for publishing research in top-tier journals like CSP, ASM, i3E, etc.

It is never easy to get your research article be published in top-tier journals. There are a number of criteria that are needed to be considered and satisfied. To be able to get your research article be published in top-tier journals, of course it should be original and unique. The article should also require very sound science and results should have meaning and application in the field. In addition to journal prestige, the author's track record can also be a factor in publishing success. Experience gained from previous publishing helps as well. Another consideration is the manuscript topic. A hot topic "is more likely to be published than is an equally sound paper dealing with a currently unfashionable subject," says Flower-Ellis. Above all factors that is needed to be considered is the influential factor that includes the need for clarity, originality of thought, novelty of finding, organization, completeness, and good writing. However, the most elegant research is usually the one that is simple and yet direct.

Reference:
Back to top Go down
http://glamerj.blogspot.com
John Deo Luengo

John Deo Luengo

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 7:44 pm

Top-tier journals set a standard in choosing one’s research paper. Not all researchers are privileged to publish or present their research. Some factors that are most observed by most top-tier journal in recognizing a qualified research paper for publishing in top-tier journals are significance, originality or uniqueness, presentation, and credibility. Significance of information must be complete within the research paper and can clearly state the purpose of the research topic which address to the current issue of any certain field. A research paper possesses uniqueness and originality within its topic and can effectively catch attention to its readers. Presentation comes after. A well-documented research can attract more readers. People can easily understand want the research is all about and what is the purpose of the research. The researcher must be credible in conducting a research in order for its work to be reliable. I think these are some key factors are being considered in choosing a research paper to be publish in top-tier journals like CSP, ACM, i3E, etc. Since electronic journals or publishers like these are visible to any parts in the world so they must clearly look at every single details of every submitted research.
Back to top Go down
ymrebmomville

ymrebmomville

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 3:06 pm

Publishing a research paper in a top – tier journals like CSP, ACM, i3E is never that easy. It so complicated and there are lots of factors they considered in accepting research files.

Factors that are involved for them to decide are the research paper unique? Uniqueness means that are the research paper being contributed already have a copy before? Or the idea of the research paper article is the same with the article before at the same time with same references and other similarities. This is the same with originality. Sometimes being unique means that the article is originally from the researcher alone. Next factor is that the research paper is relevant? Relevance means that is it relevant to what the journals is all about. And lastly, is it reader’s choice. Meaning, do the readers fully understand or do the readers like the article?

There are many factors to be considered, but for me, what I have discussed was only the basics one.
Back to top Go down
http://freedailyarticles.com/
Ronic.Concepcion

Ronic.Concepcion

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 3:13 pm

To become a top – tier journals, there will always be a standard to be followed.

According to the ACM's Right and Responsiblities in ACM Publishing, a summited work runs through different components before it is being published, namely; Reviewing, Processing of Accepted Works and Dissemination. This simply shows, that well-knowed international journals tightly screen submitted works before subjecting it to publication.

I will discuss 3 factors for publishing in a top – tier journals, it should be original, relevant, and in readers interest. Like in any other researches, an article should be original in a sense that it is not being copied in other people’s idea. Next is the relevance. The research paper should be in relevant to what was happening and what should be needed now. And lastly, it should be with reader’s interest so that the research would be together with the public’s view.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mylair.tk
SherylCaguimbaga

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 9:40 pm

For a research work to be published in top-tier journals like CSP, ACM and i3M, first, it undergoes series of screenings and it should pass the criteria. Based on the aspects of a good research work that was discussed in the previous assignment, it has to be substantial enough and is useful or beneficial not only to the researchers but to the others as well. All the information in the study should be presented clearly and concisely enough for the readers to understand what the study is trying to imply. And if the study is a replication of the previous one, it should be in a different setting or with a different population.

It has been said that publishing a research work makes it complete. It has also been considered as a means of securing the knowledge of ownership claims and communicating the knowledge. That is why, it is a pressure for the researchers to do so. In addition to the researchers being pressured, when a research work is published, a lot of benefits can be obtained by the researcher. First, the researcher can be rewarded and these rewards may include the recognition of his ideas, others may ask him for collaboration, talk invitations regarding ideas, meeting invitations, recognition from big bosses, deans and department heads because of the value of their works, and a higher salary.

Although a lot of research works are created and some are relatively related and similar, not all papers qualify for the most well-known. The levels of journal prestige vary. Based on the statement that was posted in the Tomorrow’s ProfessorSM Mailing List, Skousen (2001) says that, more than 50 percent of the papers submitted are usually rejected by the top-tier journals and some have rejection rates as high as 70 percent. Journals are either rigorously edited or tightly edited.

When top-tier journals usually reject research papers to more than half- percent, it is rare for third-tier journals to reject a paper unless the entire study is flawed or the data are not properly interpreted. Though these journals often do not account all the variables required for top-tier journals, these journals are also acceptable given that they generally answer questions and report good science.

One of the key factors for publishing research in top-tier journals is the track record of the author. That is why, some researchers include the name of an author even if it contributes a little to the paper. The named author may influence the decision of the editor because of the author’s past work and for being recognized by people. Second is the experience gained from previous publishing. If one has already experienced publishing papers before, it is now easier for him to publish more papers. Third is the originality. An original work can be a persuasive factor. Fourth is the manuscript’s title. It really is an advantage for a manuscript if it has a good topic that is hot. A hot topic is more likely to be published rather than the unfashionable one.

It has been said that the influential factors to successfully publish the research to top-tier journals. It has to be clear, originally thought out, novelty if finding, organization of ideas and information, completeness and written well. According to Jeff Skousen, a professor of soil science, West Virginia University, that the most elegant research is usually simple and direct.

Reference:
WRITING A PAPER THAT WILL GET PUBLISHED
Many options exist for researchers to get their name in print
By Kate Devine (2001)
Courtesy of M. Celeste Simon

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ronie_biloy

ronie_biloy

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyFri Oct 02, 2009 9:46 am

Identify and discuss key factors for publishing research in top-tier journals like CSP; ACM; I3E etc.

“Publish or Perish”. My attention was caught by this statement of Bob Day, professor emeritus, department of English, University of Delaware, and author of a book on scientific paper publishing. In addition to "completing an experiment," publication in scientific literature serves as a means to secure knowledge ownership claims and is an efficient vehicle for communicating this knowledge. So, it is very important indeed that a research work must be published not just for self-interest but also to protect your work from being stolen. Lewenstein, who is also editor of the journal, Public Understanding of Science, says it is important to recognize that scientists are individuals in a large system, with personal, less altruistic reasons for publishing. He explains that publishing is the means by which a scientist can be rewarded. Those rewards can include recognition for ideas; others seeking the author out for collaboration; invitations to meetings to talk about ideas and thus, stay intellectually alive; invitations to meetings at locations that are personally pleasurable; recognition from deans and department heads regarding the value of the researcher's work in the form of increased resources (i.e., lab space and graduate students); and higher salary from those same deans and directors when another institution tries to hire the scientist because they value the work they see published.

And so, what are the key factors that a research work must possess in order to be publish on this top-tier journals? According to some experts originality of thought is a very influential factor that must be considered. Your research work must have to be somehow not like the others which is a very common scenario in the journal publishing industry. Next is the hotness of the topic or is it timely. A good research work must answer the present problem of the community or what is it that must have to be solve today. With regards to the research paper it must have to be organized and complete. Skousen, however, states that the most elegant research is usually simple and direct. According to Byrne flawed or poorly planned study design and lack of detail in methods were the two elements most often leading to rejection.

Reference:

Back to top Go down
Mary Rossini Diamante

Mary Rossini Diamante

PostSubject: Assignment 6   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 11:16 am

To publish is to make content publicly known. However, for an article or paper to be published, there are certain criteria that it should pass. Reviewers or critics normally have factors that are being considered in choosing a paper to be published. Relating to research works, top-tier journals like ACM have high-standards that are set in accordance with how to select a paper to be published. ACM sets high standards of quality for its publications. It is paramount to uphold these standards in the development and selection of content.

According to an article of Kate Devine (2001), “Writing a paper that will get published”, Jeff Skousen, professor of soil science, West Virginia University, points out that there are varying levels of journal prestige and not every paper qualifies for the most well-known. Top-tier journals usually reject more than 50 percent of the papers submitted to them, and some have rejection rates as high as 70 percent, Skousen says. These journals are rigorously edited and require very sound science and results that have meaning and application in the field. Other journals have a much lower rejection rate and are not as tightly edited, but they generally contain good research.

While originality can be a persuasive factor, "People are still able to get their work published even if it seems similar to previously published work," observes Skousen. Although one may think that most of the pertinent questions in a subject area might be answered after long periods of testing and experimentation that does not seem to be the case, he continues. "I'm surprised that there are not that many new ideas in our journals today compared to past decades," he remarks. "Sure, we get new instruments and tools that allow greater precision or accuracy of measurement, but the ideas are not that dissimilar, nor are the results that dissimilar after data collection and interpretation." Flower-Ellis predicts that more and more papers will be assessed as "valuable confirmations" rather than as "original contributions to knowledge." Another consideration is the manuscript topic. A hot topic "is more likely to be published than is an equally sound paper dealing with a currently unfashionable subject," says Flower-Ellis The scientific community does display some of the proverbial characteristics of lemmings, in publication no less than in choice of research area."
The criteria publishers use as measures for accepting a paper vary a lot more than is sometimes realized, notes Lewenstein. Publication is not a cut-and-dried process--it's infinitely variable and flexible. In particular, "peer review" is not a simple criterion, he continues. Some journals may send an article to three to five reviewers, and the editors make an informed judgment by weighing all reviews. Other journals may send an article to a single reviewer and make simple yes/no decisions based on one review. Some journals may do a lot more editorial work with an author, while others take manuscripts more or less as submitted. Although the review process can be flexible, acceptance criteria are relatively standard. Experts consulted offer simple advice for optimizing publishing success. Many say influential factors include the need for clarity, originality of thought, novelty of finding, organization, completeness, and good writing. The experts' advice may seem evident. Skousen, however, states that the most elegant research is usually simple and direct. According to Byrne, who published an article last year on common reasons for manuscript rejection, flawed or poorly planned study design and lack of detail in methods were the two elements most often leading to rejection.
In addition, in a blog article, it was stated that some factors that are most observed by most top-tier journal in recognizing a qualified research paper for publishing in top-tier journals are uniqueness, relevance, presentation, and credibility.

Uniqueness or originality, in the sense that a research topic is uncommon, something that is somehow yet to be known and something different from the average topic studied. The relevance of the paper is also a great consideration for publishing. It entails the significance it delivers to the society. How a paper is presented is also an issue. The paper should be in a form of proper documentation. Another factor is the researcher’s credibility to conduct a study. To some, it is important to know that the researcher is of reliable researcher because usually many people normally give credit or recognitions to the researcher’s previous successful studies.

Back to top Go down
ace sandoval

ace sandoval

PostSubject: dentify and discuss key factors for publishing research in top-tier journals like CSP   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 3:52 pm

CSP is devoted to problems of Central and Eastern Europe. It is a forum for scholars from a range of disciplines: language and linguistics, literature, history, political science, sociology, economics, anthropology, geography and the arts. This is the only interdisciplinary scholarly outlet for Slavists in Canada and one of the major journals in the field in North America. It has an international readership and subscribers.

All articles submitted to CSP are subject to blind refereeing. Only previously unpublished manuscripts that are not under consideration by another journal are considered.

***The maximum length for articles inclusive of bibliography, notes, tables etc. should be 8000 words, and for Commentary & Issues 4000 words, including notes and references. The typescript should be carefully checked for errors before it is submitted for publication. Authors are responsible for the accuracy of quotations, for supplying complete and correct references, and for obtaining permission where needed to cite another person's material. Papers that significantly exceed these limits may be returned to the contributor for editing before being considered.
*** Papers are expected to be accessible and jargon-free. Lengthy quotations of more than 40 words should be indented; shorter quotes should be retained within the body of the text. Authors are responsible for obtaining permission from copyright holders for reproducing any illustrations, tables, figures or lengthy quotations previously published elsewhere. Tables and Figures should be presented on separate sheets of paper at the end of the article. Their position within the text should be clearly indicated.
*** For citing and referencing use the Harvard-style system. References in the text should read as Hall (1995: 63-4), or Hall and Smith (1993, 1998). Use 'et al.' when citing a work by more than two authors, e.g. Hall et al. (1997). The letters a, b, c etc. should be used to distinguish citations of different works by the same author in the same year, e.g. Hall (1988a, b). Enclose within a single pair of parentheses a series of references, separated by semicolons, e.g. (Hall and Smith, 1993; Jones, 1985). Use also parentheses to insert any brief phrase associated with the reference, e.g. (but see Jones, 2000: 23-4). For an institutional authorship, supply the minimum citation from the beginning of the complete reference, e.g. (Department of Health, 1996: 36). The reference list should be alphabetically ordered.
*** Authors will be asked to provide an electronic copy of the final version of their paper following acceptance for publication. The author is responsible for ensuring that the final hard copy and electronic versions of the manuscript are identical.
*** Authors are sent proofs for checking and correction. Proofs should be corrected carefully; the responsibility for detecting errors lies with the author. On publication authors will receive a bound copy and access to the final pdf of their article.
*** It is a condition that copyright should be assigned to Critical Social Policy Limited, with certain rights retained by authors. Further details will be sent to authors before publication. No paper will be published until the appropriate forms are completed and returned.

RESOURCES:
http://www.ualberta.ca/~csp/
http://www.sagepub.com/journalsProdManSub.nav?prodId=Journal200748
Back to top Go down
ermilyn anne magaway

ermilyn anne magaway

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 2:11 am

General Publication Strategies

1. Diversify your research portfolio
2. Concentrate on one or two fields
3. Generate one or two papers from your thesis
4. Maintain a stock of papers under review constantly
5. Don't put two good ideas in one paper
6. Approach different types of journals
7. Write clearly
8. Learn word processing skills and master other relevant software programs
9. Scan current journals
10. Present papers at conferences before submission
11. Do not distribute unpublished papers to strangers (at big conferences)
12. Only the tough get going
13. Get to know one hundred people active in your field
14. Maintain contacts

Articles and Books

15. A journal article is preferable to a book
1.) Life of a publication
2.) Weight of a publication
16. A journal article first
17. Cultivate coauthors
1.)Weight of coauthored articles
18. Make an agreement with coauthors ex ante
19. Maintain collaboration
20. Be patient with inactive coauthors

alarm clock Choosing Topics

21. Do not waste time on dead or dying topics
22. Do not write papers with breakthrough ideas at first
23. Extend existing literature
24. Write something creative
25. Mix ingredients of other papers
26. Write on interesting subjects

alarm clock Comments or Notes

27. Avoid writing comments on other papers
28. Do not correct small errors others make

Just visit the site below for more informations and further reading...

http://www.roie.org/howg.htm

Back to top Go down
charmaine anne quadizar

charmaine anne quadizar

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 4:59 am

like what i have shared from my other answers making a research paper is not an easy task. You should sacrifice your time, effort and money not only that but also your heart. It is very important that in making a research project your heart and mind is their because publishing research in top-tier journals is not that easy because there are factors to be considered. Entire study should not have any flaws and data should be properly interpreted. This factor is very important because it deals with the content of the study. It is very important that what you published are certify true and correct. we all know that once it is a published research paper it is considered that all the contents are certified true. And becuase they are true these will answer real questions and report good science.
Back to top Go down
http://www.charmisme.blogspot.com
PrincessLerit

PostSubject: Assign 6   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 8:35 am

ACM, CSP, i3E and many others are just examples of some top-tier journal that published research papers in a usual manner and through the internet.
There was this article from ACM that talks about how the publications are done when the researchers submitted their paper. It is not an obscure thing to us what a research is. The publication of all research paper has been the center of its notion. It has been the basic means to disseminate the results or the research paper itself.
Before a research paper being published, it will be first reviewed by 3 or 4 reviewers (each paper) which are experts on this field of study. After being reviewed, the best research papers among the submitted ones are then accepted for publication in the journal or even in the conference proceedings. Actually, publishing a paper is usually done in some conferences or journals.
Every year there are thousands of research papers that are being submitted but the acceptance rate are often 20% or lower. Not all papers that are being submitted make it to the publication.
As I have read from the same site (ACM), there are still flaws in reviewing a research paper. Since judging a paper is not an easy thing to do, the reviewers is having a hard time assessing the paper’s impact, how relevant it is and even look at the topic – if it is interesting or not. Sometimes a research is rejected because of some bad reviews it because sometimes an author gets reviews criticizing the paper and saying the opposite thing. Having a research paper is somewhat a matter of luck, if your research will be accepted. It is because some reviewers are positive thinker, some are not. Reviewing takes a lot of time, most especially to those meticulous reviewers. That is why most authors do not write in a manner where the audiences can understand the paper but write in a manner that the reviewer would be please in their paper. Some common reviewers accepts very detailed papers than the more innovative and creative one.
Having these flaws, they made a different aura in reviewing a research paper. They made a conference which different from the traditional one where the author can not reply on how the reviewers review the paper. In the new one, the reviewers should not be acquainted by the author for the fair judgment. In here, the authors have a few days to rely on the reviewer’s question. There was also a community review to avoid flaws. The community can vote on paper/ or abstract that they like. Aside from the two mentioned, there is also what they called “open” in which all the participants can go to the conference and made their own judgment on the presentation they heard. There was also an invitation type of conference where the reviewers are those persons who are invited in the conference as judges. The authors then are required to present their works.
So, I guess a successful publication of a research depends on how good a research is and of course it depends also on the reviewers.
Back to top Go down
http://princessekeanne.blogspot.com
Esalle Joy Jabines

Esalle Joy Jabines

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 3:24 pm

ACM, like many other publishers, has started to provide its journals in both electronic and print versions. The purpose of the ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS) is to present research and development results on the design, specification, realization, behavior, and use of computer systems. The term "computer systems" is interpreted broadly and includes systems architectures, operating systems, distributed systems, and computer networks. Articles that appear in TOCS will tend either to present new techniques and concepts or to report on experiences and experiments with actual systems.

Papers must be of high quality and fall within the scope of the journal. There are four main ingredients to an acceptable paper:
technical quality is high;
relevance to significant computations is high;
interest and novelty is high; and
presentation is effective.

Few papers excel in all of these, but a substandard level in any of the four ingredients is sufficient ground for rejection. ACM TOCS does not accept papers that belong in more theoretical journals (e.g. JACM, Springer-Verlag's "Distributed Computing", Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing). This does not imply that all theoretical papers are to be rejected; rather it implies that theoretical papers that cannot establish their direct relevance to current issues in the development of computer systems will generally be rejected. An acceptable paper of this type should contain:
motivation and technical analysis of the method;
evidence of effectiveness and practicality; and
demonstration of superiority compared to alternative approaches.

In addition, reviewers should be aware that because of the relative rarity with which such papers are accepted, the standards for originality and impact are unusually strict in these cases.

The ACM Transactions on Database Systems publishes original archival papers in the area of databases and closely related disciplines. Submitted papers are judged primarily on originality and relevance, but effective presentation is also critical. Contributions should conform to generally accepted practices for scientific papers with respect to organization and style.

The primary goal of the program committee of a major conference like OOPSLA (Object-Oriented Programming, Systems, Languages, and Applications) is to put together a high quality program of technical papers. The program is created by soliciting contributed papers from authors and then selecting the best papers according to some criteria. The process is reactive: the authors submit, the committee selects from those submissions.

The primary requirement is that your paper must contribute to our understanding of object technology. It must have something new to say, and its message must be of sufficient importance and interest to warrant the attention of the OOPSLA community. If your paper is a research paper, it should describe a new idea or a new technique. It must describe original work. Your paper should present supporting evidence, not just conjecture. Idea papers should be backed up by a convincing analysis. The purpose of your paper should be to communicate something to someone. Your paper should convince the program committee that your work is technically correct. If the correctness of your work is in doubt, your paper will probably be rejected. Soundness of ideas or techniques can often be demonstrated by the depth and clarity of the analysis, or by reference to a working implementation. The audience at OOPSLA includes people from many communities. You will improve your paper if you can address a broad audience, wherever possible. While specific examples can be given, the problem and solution should be presented in general terms. Effective communication is important for a successful paper. A paper has little value if its intended audience cannot understand it. An incomprehensible paper cannot even be reviewed.

To sum up everything, different top-tier journals accept papers basing on their different requirements that your paper should contain. Although they may have differences, some qualifications on accepting research papers are similar. These journals similarly consider relevance, originality, and impact of the paper to audience.
Back to top Go down
Jonel Amora

Jonel Amora

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 9:55 pm

It is never easy for your research to be published in journals specially those top-tier journals. It is like you are auditioning for some kind of a reality show. Yes, it is hard but the benefits would be great. Some of us want our research to be published to prove that we are a worthy researcher, others for pride purposes and others wants their research to be publish because of the money that comes along with it. As to what are real intentions of why we want our researches to be published, it will all go through tough processes or procedures. Of course publications don’t just choose anybodies research and publish it, it may affect their credibility if they are able to publish researches that are not reliable and are not significant at all.

Submitted researches are reviewed by reviewers before it will be published. Reviewers are the real authors of Computing Reviews. The computing community depends on reviewers for authoritative, unbiased critiques of the essential literature in the field. Reviewers are expected to contribute reviews that demonstrate that they have read the material thoroughly and have considered it in depth, from a critical perspective. Reviewers are prominent persons having attained remarkable achievements in the field of research. Each reviewer has their own perspective of what they are finding in a research before they approve in for publication.

Originality of the research is a big factor for your research to be able to pass the screening made by the reviewers. Having an original research and good output would really give you an edge over the others. Your research should also be relevant for it to be able to be accepted. Reviewers have no specific requirements when reviewing someone’s research work they are most probably concern on the quality of your research work. Their most concern is on how you presented your research and if your research is relevant or would fit to their intended audience. The name of the author would be a great factor too. Even in the research publication world influence is also one factor that affects if your research will be published or not. If you have no remarkable record yet it maybe a lot harder for you to have your research published compared to those experienced authors.
Back to top Go down
http://jdamora.blogspot.com/
Sherwin S. Gaum

Sherwin S. Gaum

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Identify and discuss key factors for publishing research in top-tier journals like CSP; ACM; I3E etc.

According to Bob Day, publication in scientific literature serves as a means to secure knowledge ownership claims and is an efficient vehicle for communicating this knowledge. Then it would simply mean that aside from getting any monetary reward or fame, being published on those top-tier journals (CSP, ACM, and I3E) would also be a security for researchers who have done those researches from any claims and also for ownership. Lewenstein, also said that it is important to recognize that scientists are individuals in a large system, with personal, less altruistic reasons for publishing. He explains that publishing is the means by which a cientist can be rewarded. Those rewards can include recognition for ideas; others seeking the author out for collaboration; invitations to meetings to talk about ideas and thus, stay intellectually alive; invitations to meetings at locations that are personally pleasurable; recognition from deans and department heads regarding the value of the researcher's work in the form of increased resources (i.e., lab space and graduate students); and higher salary from those same deans and directors when another institution tries to hire the scientist because they value the work they see published. What are the key factors that a research work must possess in order to be published on these top-tier journals? According to some experts originality of thought is a very influential factor that must be considered. Your research work must have to be somehow not like the others which is a very common scenario in the journal publishing industry. Next is the hotness of the topic or is it timely. A good research work must answer the present problem of the community or what is it that must have to be solved today. With regards to the research paper it must have to be organized and complete.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs) Empty

Back to top Go down

Assignment 6 (Due: September 7, 2009, 13:00hrs)
Page 1 of 1