USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)

Go down 
+21
PrincessLerit
charmaine anne quadizar
ermilyn anne magaway
Mary Grace E. Gabayeron
Jalil O. Paniamba-an
Sherwin S. Gaum
SherylCaguimbaga
mariechelle alcoriza
JADE MIJARES
ymrebmomville
Melgar John Gascal
John Deo Luengo
Cherryannmontejo
George Dan Gil
Mary Rossini Diamante
angel mae b. brua
Kate Mariel Dizon
ronie_biloy
Karren D. Adarna
hannah rhea hernandez
eyesee
25 posters
AuthorMessage
eyesee

eyesee

Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) Empty
PostSubject: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 9:49 pm

In your own understanding, what's the difference between "METHOD" and "METHODOLOGY"?
Back to top Go down
hannah rhea hernandez

hannah rhea hernandez

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyFri Sep 18, 2009 2:31 pm

Since the question only seeks my own definition then my answer would just be short but hopefully clear and precise.. ^^

A research method refers to a process of creating a random sequence of steps to solve a particular problem. While a methodology refers to a process of acquiring solutions by means of a proven method in which selected cases are considered.

Simply, a method is a means or manner of procedure, especially a regular and systematic way of accomplishing something whereas a methodology refer to the theoretical analysis of the methods appropriate to a field of study or to the body of methods and principles particular to a branch of knowledge.
Back to top Go down
http://woophie.blogspot.com
Karren D. Adarna

Karren D. Adarna

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySat Sep 19, 2009 4:46 am

Methodology is the system of methods followed in a particular discipline. On the other hand, a method is a way of doing and applying the methodology in a systematic way. A method implies an orderly logical arrangement usually taken in steps.

METHODOLOGY is the discipline or science of methods and METHODS are the steps or techniques that should be accomplish to meet the methodology. When we say methods, we are actually talking about some ways or process in doing something, what to do. While methodology is the procedure on how to do it.
Back to top Go down
ronie_biloy

ronie_biloy

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Sep 21, 2009 9:59 pm

I would like to base my own understanding on what is the difference between method and methodology on the following definition:

According to wikipedia:
Method
1. In scientific method it is a series of steps takes to acquire knowledge
2. Methods in computing science is a piece of code associated with a class or object to perform a task

Methodology
Methodology refers to more than a simple set of methods; rather it refers to the rationale and the philosophical assumptions that underlie a particular study.

So, as far as I have understood this definition, I could say that methodology pictures a much bigger scenario compared to methods. When we say method is like the process or the step-by-step procedure on how you are going to execute something. Like in gathering data, there are number of methods or instruments (maybe) that one can use, interview, questionnaire, and others so these are methods but when we say methodology it is the study of all the methods. So, in research, data gathering in particular methodology part plays an important role since on this area the researcher evaluates or tries to study which of the method/s mentioned is appropriate or worth to be applied on the study.
Back to top Go down
Kate Mariel Dizon

Kate Mariel Dizon

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyWed Sep 23, 2009 10:34 am

Since the question asks for my own understanding, I'd have to say that METHOD is a systematic way of doing or accomplishing something. It can be a set of procedures or techniques that will allow you to arrive at the desired output.

On the other hand, METHODOLOGY is more of a congregation or body of practices, procedures, rules, or methods used in a particular discipline (in this case, Research). I have read some references which define methodology as a study of working methods, which, I think, is also appropriate since the suffix "-logy" means "study".

Based on what I've written above, I could say that METHOD is more descriptive, while METHODOLOGY is more critical and analytical. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://katemarieldizon.blogspot.com/
angel mae b. brua

angel mae b. brua

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Sep 24, 2009 7:19 pm

Method is somehow creating steps or level of processes to a particular problem. Methodology is somehow creating or combining these methods to create a solution.

That was just based on my understanding.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gelaneam.blogspot.com
Mary Rossini Diamante

Mary Rossini Diamante

PostSubject: Assignment 9   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySat Sep 26, 2009 1:30 pm

METHOD is the series of systematic steps or ways of procedure in performing or conducting something
while METHODOLOGY is the gathering or compilation of methods and putting them into practice or application or implementation into an apt field.
Back to top Go down
George Dan Gil

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Sep 28, 2009 11:28 am

Method – is a technique, or way of doing something according to a certain plan. In our programming method can be defined as a series of statements that carry out some task that will be called to provide a way.

Methodology – is an orderly study of methods with discipline. I think its more about organizing study of research methods.
Back to top Go down
Cherryannmontejo

Cherryannmontejo

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 8:25 pm

Making my answer simple, the difference between a method and a methodology is; method is a body of systematic techniques or approaches used by a particular discipline especially a scientific one. While on the other hand methodology is a set of procedures which includes theories, concept or ideas as they relate to a particular discipline.
Back to top Go down
http://authenticallyblack.blogspot.com/
John Deo Luengo

John Deo Luengo

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Sep 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Method can be define as to a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new idea or knowledge, or correcting previous or existing knowledge while methodology refers to the underlying principles or justification and the theoretical assumptions that underlie a particular study related to the method.
Back to top Go down
Melgar John Gascal

Melgar John Gascal

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 11:27 am

In your own understanding, what's the difference between "METHOD" and "METHODOLOGY"?

As what I’ve understand on what is method and methodology about is that methods is the technique used to accomplish a task of which the intended output is achieved. Methodology on the other hand, is s a combination of method and logic, explains how various methods can be used to reach an output but then questions the logic or rather the necessity of some of the steps.

Methods simply are the ways or process to do some things whereas methodology is the procedure on doing some methods.
Back to top Go down
http://glamerj.blogspot.com
ymrebmomville

ymrebmomville

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 3:07 pm

What is the difference between a method and a methodology?

- a method is a subroutine that is exclusively associated either with a class (in which case it is called a class method or a static method) or with an object (in which case it is an instance method). Like a subroutine in procedural programming languages, a method usually consists of a sequence of programming statements to perform an action, a set of input parameters to customize those actions, and possibly an output value (called the return value) of some kind. Methods provide a mechanism for accessing and manipulating the encapsulated data stored in an object.

- Methodology can be defined as:
1. "the analysis of the principles of methods, rules, and postulates employed by a discipline";
2. "the systematic study of methods that are, can be, or have been applied within a discipline"; or
3. "a particular procedure or set of procedures."

Back to top Go down
http://freedailyarticles.com/
JADE MIJARES

JADE MIJARES

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 6:54 pm

A method is another word for process, technique or scheme. Usually in the programming sense, a method is equated to a process. This is a set of commands that are employed to a certain object or to another process or method. There are some similarities to the definition of method and methodology although not everyone considers the two as related to each other. At the lowest form, others say that methodology is a series of processes, activities or tasks that are involved or done to a whole. But others view methodology as much more. At the highest point, methodology is viewed as the rationale behind the set of processes that are done to a research study. In other words this is the philosophy behind the actions that are done. This usually answers the question why.
Back to top Go down
mariechelle alcoriza

mariechelle alcoriza

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 8:38 pm

For me, method is just a part of the methodology. I agree with what Mr. Biloy has said that Methodology has the bigger picture. On my part, what constitute the methodology are the methods itself. Method is a technique and on the other hand, a methodology is a set of techniques to answer a problem.
Back to top Go down
SherylCaguimbaga

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 9:47 pm

Method refers to series of steps or procedures to accomplish something. While methodology, from the word itself, 'method' which means series of steps and 'logy' which means study, thus, it simply refers to the study or analysis of series of steps or procedures used by a discipline. It answers the questions what, why and how. What, refers to the things that are included in the study. Why, refers to the rationale of using those things and why the methods are done, and how which refers to the way the steps are done. Overall, method is only a part of methodology.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sherwin S. Gaum

Sherwin S. Gaum

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyMon Oct 05, 2009 3:19 pm

Before stating my own understanding on what is the difference between method and methodology, I would like to first define their meaning base on my research.

Methodology –can properly refer to the theoretical analysis of the methods appropriate to a field of study or to the body of methods and principles particular to a branch of knowledge.

Method- these nouns refer to the plans or procedures followed to accomplish a task or attain or goal.

If we are to look at this definition I could say that when we say methodology it has methods and these methods are use to solve certain problems or attain a certain goal. Therefore if in technical concepts, if it has methodology it would mean that there several procedures or methods that have been used to solve a problem, while inside that methods are the specific procedures use in solving the problem.

Source:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/english/education_pedagogy/973883-method_and_methodology.html
Back to top Go down
Jalil O. Paniamba-an

Jalil O. Paniamba-an

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 8:39 pm

Method
An orderly procedure or process; regular manner of doing anything; hence, manner; way; mode; as, a method of teaching languages; a method of improving the mind.

Methodology
Is the analysis of the principles of methods, rules, and postulates employed by a discipline; the systematic study of methods that are, can be, or have been applied within a discipline; or a particular procedure or set of procedures."

Method is the manner of procedure to be able to achieve the desired output in systematically. In addition, it is the explanation of how data was collected/generated; explanation of how data was analyzed explanation of methodological problems and their solutions or effects.
In contrast, methodology is often refers to anything and everything that can be encapsulated for a discipline or a series of processes, activities and tasks. This use of the term is typified by the outline who, what, where, when, and why. In the documentation of the processes that make up the discipline, which is being supported by “this” methodology, that is where we would find the "methods" or processes. The processes themselves are only part of the methodology along with the identification and usage of the standards, policies, rules, etc.
Back to top Go down
Mary Grace E. Gabayeron

Mary Grace E. Gabayeron

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Oct 06, 2009 11:06 pm

As to what I have understand about method and methodology, the difference between the two is that a method is a process on how something is to be done while methodology is the justification of the of processes that govern a certain principle.
Back to top Go down
http://gabayeron13.blogspot.com/
ermilyn anne magaway

ermilyn anne magaway

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyWed Oct 07, 2009 4:43 am

Methodology is the analysis of the principles of methods, rules, and postulates employed by a discipline, the analysis of such method & task for doing it best and it is the studies of the such task while method is a no of option that we have to do any task.

Methodology is something which is organised, documented set of procedures and guidelines for one or more phases of the software life cycle, such as analysis or design.

Example:

if environment survey is done so we have many option to do we used such method, which give the accuracy it is called methodology.
Back to top Go down
charmaine anne quadizar

charmaine anne quadizar

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyThu Oct 08, 2009 1:37 am

Many people use these words interchangeably but they are not the same. Method is the technique used to accomplish a task and it could be the process followed in undertaking a task of which the intended output is achieved while methodology is the study of the the method itself. Methodology also is the way you adopt to deliver a subject within the steps mentioned by a method. To sum it up method is just a part of a methodology, it cannot be called a methodology if it does not have a method because methodology is a set of methods.
Back to top Go down
http://www.charmisme.blogspot.com
PrincessLerit

PostSubject: Assign 9   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyFri Oct 09, 2009 8:36 am

Hmmn… Actually when I first read about this question, a lot of ideas are occurring in my mind. And somehow it made me think so deeply. Stop! I was really about to post the answer of this question when something unexpected happen. Would you believe that I accidentally deleted the words in the document and saved it? It was really annoying! It was better if I could have deleted the document itself because I can restore it from the recycle bin. But just imagine what I did? It’s really an OMG! So much for that, let’s go back to the question being asked (I was just telling my unfortunate experience).
So as I was saying, from my own point of view a method is a way of doing something. It could be also that it is carrying out something especially according to plan. For example in a math problem, we usually use “methods” in order to solve a problem or shall we say techniques and come up into a solution. So we can say – in other words – that methods are used to come up a solution to answer the problem being stated.
On other hand, I was thinking that a methodology is a study of methods or a study of a way of doing something or carrying out something, especially those according to plan (“ology” means study of, right?). So when I search about what a methodology is, I found a site (wikipedia.com) that stated that it is a systematic study of methods that can be applied within a discipline. It could also be an analysis of methods employed by a discipline (so I guess my thinking was right about the study thing). So to really visualize what a methodology is let’s have a concrete example. An example is a research paper; we all know that methodology is being used in research to define what methods will be used in developing. It can be a reference on how or where the data come from to attain successfully the objectives of the study.
I guess that would be all about method and methodology. Thanks for reading!
Back to top Go down
http://princessekeanne.blogspot.com
Esalle Joy Jabines

Esalle Joy Jabines

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 3:26 pm

Method is the process followed in doing a task to achieve a desired output. For example, to get data, specific techniques or methods are used. Methodology, on the other hand, is a set of activities which are interconnected to explain how those methods can be used to achieve the desired output. These activities (methodology) use a set of techniques (methods) to reach or achieve a desired output.
Back to top Go down
Jonel Amora

Jonel Amora

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Oct 11, 2009 9:04 pm

We can't deny the fact that most people understand method and methodology as one word or two words with the same meaning. I myself sometimes consider both as two words with the same meaning especially if I'm not really thinking what I was saying. Method for me are steps or process that you need to do in order to achieve your goal. While methodology on the other hand, are set of methods in regulating a given discipline. They are really making me quite confuse most of the time. ^^
Back to top Go down
http://jdamora.blogspot.com/
ace sandoval

ace sandoval

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptyTue Oct 13, 2009 2:16 pm

In my own understanding. I think methodology is a collection of theories, concepts or ideas.
The difference of method and methodology is method is just a sequence of commands while methodology is a set of methods. Method is only part of the methodology.
Back to top Go down
Simon Ed Lusan

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) EmptySun Oct 18, 2009 7:55 am

A method is a systematic way or procedure in order to perform a certain task. While a methodology can be simply referred as a set of methods or study of methods that are, can be, and being applied within a certain discipline or field. A method is a certain step or procedure that is within the bounds of methodology, since methodology sets the standards on what methods is appropriate in a specific field.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)   Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs) Empty

Back to top Go down

Assignment 9 (Due: September 29, 2009, 13:00hrs)
Page 1 of 1