USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)

Go down 
+46
michaelobero
Jennifer Conta
jeanette vale
george_norman_patayon
Katrina Cecilia A. Elid
Phoebe Angelie H Gallardo
leinad09
rancisolanobero
irelene cosicol
Rudy_Comawas_Jr
Allan S. Cabusora
Allan Gregor Gepulla
Daisy Jane E. Jabican
James Isidro
Beverly L. Rabaja
Cariza Joy A. Ensoy
Ralph Gideon Doron
kenneth
vinceilagan
Dianne Jean Dumdum
Mary Claire P. Avila
irwinrod
Edward S. Baylon
Marybert V. Lee
Benjamin_Abadilla_Jr
Alaina_Simbal
Ruchan Alangilan
Sherwin_Elioreg
nesscel_ann_calara
Genne Zareth Fernandez
Frenzess-Joy H. Elman
Ma. Monique H. Asuque
Shirley "df" Reuyan
kevin.cris.ramos
Axel Ros E. Campaña
michael_reggie_gloria
Zara Mae Ontal
cherilyn lagare
Jonalyn Sanchez
raffyprongo
jezrelle larubes
festejoteodoroIII
maria edna hernandez
Mark Bryan B. Gonzales
arnulfotaghoyjr
eyesee
50 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eyesee

eyesee

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) Empty
PostSubject: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:06 am

Today, I went on a company visit to
What I learned?
What I liked ?
What I didn’t like?
Back to top Go down
arnulfotaghoyjr

arnulfotaghoyjr

PostSubject: Day 1   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:17 pm

Day 1
Today, I went on a company visit to the SSS or Social Security System located at East Avenue, Quezon City; (for those students who were assigned in Bus 1 and Bus2). But what is Social Security System? What does Social Security System do to help our country? Can this seminar help us in our field of choice? Can we benefit from these? How can this be related to IT? These are some of the few questions that are popping out in our mind when we visited this company. The Social Security System protects the economic security of workers, retirees and their families. Unlike in the system in the United States, the Philippine system allows for loans (salary loans, etc.) and offers maternity benefits. I like their facilities and their employees because they are so kind. They tour us to their library and museum. During the discussion, their speaker did not tackle any topic that is related to assembly language. Most of their explanations are all about what they offers and networking.
On their discussion regarding IT matters, Database is always present. After our stopover in Social Security System (SSS), we had our lunch at Great Eastern Hotel located at Makati City. And after our lunch in Great Eastern Hotel, we had our second company visit at First Web Academy and it was also located at Makati City so it was kind of a neighborhood trip from the location where we ate our lunch. Arriving at our second company visit, as we enter through the hallway, we’ve seen many Anime drawings and graphical designs posted in the walls. And as we move further, I’ve seen lots of people, classified as teenagers and adults facing their computer. As we look through on what they are doing, we glanced at the monitor and we’ve seen sketches and graphical designs of anime stuffs. There are even people who do animation on stuffs and it was so cool. As we arrived in our meeting hall, we momentary look at the surroundings and there were lots of much cooler stuffs posted in each wall. As we go on with our seminar in that building, they taught us how to use different kinds of softwares that specializes in editing and animating drawings. The first speaker introduced a software named “Maya” were it can be used to make 3D animation. In old times, they usually use 2D animation but nowadays, most of the movies used 3D animation including advertisements and stuffs. The difference between 2D and 3D is that it refers to the actual dimensions in a computer’s workspace. 2D is ‘flat’’, using X and Y (horizontal and vertical) axis, the image has only two dimensions where as compared to 3D, it has an additional axis where it is called the Z axis, it allows for the rotation and the depth of the image. That is why 3D looks more realistic than 2D animation. ‘UP’ is an example of a 3D movie, whereas almost all of the upcoming movies and shows now are based on 3D effects. After the seminar, we went to SM Mall of Asia where we were set free by our Professors for a couple of hours for us to roam around the humongous mall. After that, at around 8 o’clock in the evening, we were obliged to meet at Atcha’s Restaurant for our dinner. After our dinner, we resided back to our hotel in Paco, Manila. The name of the hotel is Manila Garden Plaza Hotel.
What I learned?
I’ve learned the meaning of Social Security System and the transaction that they were using. What I learned most in our visit in SSS is not mostly all about IT, but instead all about the techniques that they used in their market strategy for their business. And in our second company visit, I’ve learned the difference of 2D and 3D animation. I’ve also learned slightly on how to use the “Maya” software.
What I liked?
What I liked the most is the company visit in First Web Academy, because I was amused of how does my favorites anime shows was made and in that company visit, I learned a bit of information’s and some of my questions were slightly answered.
What I didn’t like?
What I didn’t like with that day is that time was so fast, in my opinion, I do want to learn more about animations and stuffs but I don’t either want to lessen the time left for us to roam through Metro Manila.

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) Sss11

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) Ssslog10

lol!
Back to top Go down
Mark Bryan B. Gonzales

Mark Bryan B. Gonzales

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:14 pm

DAY 1

Today, I went on a company visit to:

Bayantel , SFDM, QC
What I learned?

Well as what I have learned is that bayantel is a telecom company which is they are developing the telephones or any other network gadgets which barely need to use for us people to communicate for our love ones we could see that they need the engineering employees for their company to work. Bayantel is just also the one of the telecommunication companies from this country and they are only serving the chosen side of the country because they are making their business on competition with other telecommunication companies. Bayan Telecommunications is keeping up with all of these changes. For every step, and every stumble, in the lives of the Filipinos, we rush to keep in stride. This is reflected in our new commitment and purpose. Bayan Telecommunications today is concerned with only three things: The customer, the customer, the customer. This commitment is reflected in our every product and service. Our range of cutting-edge data and voice applications, such as our bayanWIRELESS landline service, and our high-speed internet connections, are both innovative AND easy to use because they were conceived with the Filipino - old or young, newbie or tech savvy - in mind.

What I liked?

I like the way they accept our invitation to accept our company visit and also I’m sitting on the center chair which is I look like the CEO from company. I like the one they share there visual information about from their company

What I didn’t like?

What should I don’t like? Am maybe when the time I have questioned about him from the reporter that

What is there advantage from the other company? He answered but I’m not satisfied for it. And also the speaker doesn’t know for there system.

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) 33693_12

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) 36084_11

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) 40721_11

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) 69033_10

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) 71556_10

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) 72543_10
Back to top Go down
maria edna hernandez

maria edna hernandez

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:45 pm

DAY 1
Today I went to a company visit to
Bayantel telecommunications at quezon City, Manila and we were there to have our first seminar for the whole day and I was so expecting that it would take to long before we could go and see more of the city but I never thought it would be that fast. Maybe I was just expecting too much out of the company but then again it was just fine seeing their company. I guess it wasn’t their main branch because it was somehow small it is as big as the Bayantel telecommunications here in Davao City that’s why I just thought it wasn’t the main branch. Another thing is I thought we would be toured around the company but then again it wasn’t met. We just turned around and poof there you will see their work space it wasn’t that big and the lights were dim. I don’t know why the person asked for the seminar also didn’t know why there were no much light or the light were dim. I was somehow impressed by the architectural design of their office. I guess the building was not that big because they were not focusing much on the Metro Manila area.

What I learned?
I learned that they don’t focus much on spreading their network around the Metro. The more focus themselves on Visayas and in Mindanao, Mr. Alden Commade, ECE said that he don’t know much about the business part because we were wondering why would they just focus on Visayas and Mindanao? Why not include the whole Luzon? Then he said that some particular reasons like in the managing part is not of their knowledge maybe because of competitions purposes that’s why. And I also knew that they really want to give high reliability and good source to their respective clients for all I know they are one of the largest telecommunications company. They started October 15, 1993 and they are sister company with Meralco and ABS-CBN no wonder they are one of the largest telecommunications company. They also have 72 workstations, 2 TV monitors, and 7 large projector screens under one location. And if you would see a cabinet under their name it can hold up to 6,408 subscribers each cabinet.

What I liked?
What I liked about their company was they didn’t hold us to long. I mean they were so direct to the point of what their company is all about and how they work, how they do things and I so liked their work space because they projected the main stream of the network around their area. If ever their will be some trouble shooting that is needed to be done then all they need is already projected upfront.

What I didn’t like?
What I didn’t like was it was like an simple orientation and not a seminar. They might be so straight forward but there are some points that they might miss because of being I such a hurry. They already knew that we were coming then we stayed to long outside waiting for them to let us in I was so expecting that the lecture would be about the IT side but then when Mr. Alden Commade introduced himself he said he was an ECE grad. It may be correlated but I cant somehow understand the things he want to point out because he wan to elaborate about the electrical communications side and not about the networking and programming side of it.
afro
Back to top Go down
festejoteodoroIII

festejoteodoroIII

PostSubject: day 1   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:54 pm

Today, I went to a company visit to Bayantel. Bayantel is a very known company around the country, they one of the major telecommunications provider. As we got there a single pseaker was there for us. He told us about what their company is and answered a few questions from us.
What I learned?
Bayantel was the very first company that we visited. I learnes that they are one of the country’s well known telecommunications provider, like phone lines, cell sites, even internet. Also the guy talking to us told us that their services are focused on southern visayas and mindanao. That’s quite normal so that they won’t be having too much competition with other telecommunication companies.
On maintaining their servers they are using a software that checks whether there are problems, they can also do remedies for minor problems but when a critical problem occurs, of course they need to send people to fix it.
What I liked?
What I liked about the company is that they really showed us the area where they monitor their servers. They even showed it to us while it people are working. And the speaker is not so formal, we did not feel uncomfortable asking questions and having a little discussion with him.
What I didn’t liked?
Well the only thing that I did not like about our visit to Bayantel was that they seem to be in a hurry. We only get to learn only a few because we expected to learn more about something we can relate to as a student of this course. And also, we were only brought to one area, we did not get to have a tour around their building and see more facilities and people working.
We did not even have photos on this visit.

Neutral Neutral Neutral
Back to top Go down
jezrelle larubes

jezrelle larubes

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:04 pm

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)

Today, I went on a company visit to SSS (Social Security System) and SPI (Service.People.Innovation)

SSS
Social Security System

Fresh from the NAIA Airport, SSS Main Office is the first company visit stop located at Quezon City. The people of SSS welcomed us wholeheartedly and just about perfectly prepared, from the preparation of the hall wherein the seminar will be conducted, the presentation of the slides, speakers, and down to the respected offices of the company. They given as a chance to come and visit their offices and take an eye of their working and currently using systems and programs particularly in creation room of IDs – from hardware to software. Door to door, room to room, I saw how the SSS does impossible task in a long period of time. I appreciated all the speakers who gave their time to share their knowledge upon us, discussed its company functions such as housing loans, how to become a member, the practical strategies in terms of id member uniqueness, how they make it possible to connect all the offices of SSS through networking and etc.

What I learned?

I learned that SSS engaged in a much secured way of upgrading their system in organizing membership number in most valuable unique identities. They see to it that a single citizen will only apply for a single number of membership form, the great dedication of promoting 1-to-1 SSS membership. Also, I erudite of the things such as the following:

• SSS Automated Teller Assistance System
• The Flexi Fund
• Biometrics ID System(the system used in formulating unique ids to avoid redundancy)
• Information Technology Driven Service
• Messaging Services
• The impressible storage area of their database in which can hold 1.7B records.

What I liked?

In the SSS Company, what I like the most is their system of Biometric ID System. It is indeed convincible that SSS is trying hard to endorse an advanced id manipulation using though the power of technology. The sense of promoting and convincing the Filipino citizen to be apart of the program and last but not the least is their advocacy of promoting their mission to provide users quality, business-driven and technology-based business.

What I don’t like?

What I don’t really like is the way of answering the question regarding the issue of benefits of the clients will earn when they do apply for the membership. Some unfix answers of the questions thrown to them in which appeared to me as unentertaining in the part of the clients especially like me as the probable future prospect client of there company.

SPI
SERVICE.PEOPLE.INNOVATION

SPI Company is the second destination for our first day of our company visit. The SPI ServiceSoft offers a host of IT-oriented services that support the creation, exchange, adaptation, management, and presentation of enterprise content to deliver cost-effective business solutions and improved business performance. It is the business of outsourcing.

What I learned?

I learned in the world of outsourcing business that it is never be easy enough to only have knowledge and skills to provide services to clients. I also learned that not all of the employees of the SPI are degree holder; some of them are just the product of great dedication to rich and raise enough services to client. The company itself does admit that they were not that kind of choosy in terms of educational attainment, as long as the person who’s applying in the company knows how to speak in English. Lastly, I found out that the SPI uses an approach of waterfall strategy in making project systems in which was once tackled in one of my subjects.

What I liked?

I like it when they give as a short tour to their company rooms. Though the location was not that usually big but my amusingness was focused on the people working inside each rooms. I liked it looking at them who are very dedicated to their works even when it’s a dying job – just by imagining people working at night and the fact of warmth welcome of them to us despite of they restless hours.

What I don’t like?

I feel uneasy when they give a short introduction about their company. It feels sad that only few were facilitating in introducing their company to us visitors. And even the way of setting up simultaneous slides to be seen by us. Most of what I don’t like is the lack of communication between as listeners and speakers which I felt like they don’t have the characteristics of catching the attention of the audience. [/size]
Back to top Go down
raffyprongo

raffyprongo

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:10 pm

Day1 (October 4, 2010):

Today I went to a company visit to Bayan Telecommunications or BayanTel which is a Lopez Company and was located in Roosevelt, Quezon City in Manila.

What I learned?

During our company visit in the BayanTel, I learned that BayanTel is one of the largest Telecommunication Company Operation Network Center in the Philippines. BayanTel offers to its clients or customers a reliable, honest, responsive, money back, service guaranteed and high reliability services. BayanTel is the one who provides a Voice services in the Philippines and BayanTel was built on October 15, 1993.

What I like?

I liked the simple presentation presented to us about who is BayanTel and what is its goal or objectives to the people.

What I don’t like?

I don’t like their environment of their Network Operations Center (NOC) because the room is so dark.

Back to top Go down
Jonalyn Sanchez

Jonalyn Sanchez

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:21 pm

Day 1

Today, I went on a company visit to Bayantel.

What I learned?

I learned that Bayantel uses Mobile Switching Center technology for their landline services. Now what is it? It is a wireless network divided geographically into a number of cells, each defined by a radio frequency (RF) radiation pattern from a respective base transceiver station (BTS) antenna. The BSC may be coupled to a mobile switching center (MSC) and a packet data serving node (PDSN). In typical circuit-switched wireless communication systems, the mobile switching center (MSC) connects the landline public switched telephone network (PSTN) system to the wireless communication system. The mobile switching center is typically split into a mobile switching center server and a media gateway, and incorporates the bearer independent call control (BICC). A mobile switching center includes a first database for storing location information and the call details of a mobile terminal. The MSC is also connected to a second database in which information about a subscriber registered in its mobile communication service is stored. The base stations route the communications to the MSC via a serving BSC. The MSC routes the communications to another subscribing wireless unit via a BSC/base station path or via the PSTN/Internet/other network to terminating destination. Between MSCs, circuit connections provide the handover mechanism that service calls as users roam from one service zone to another.

What I liked ?

I liked their working place, especially after the discussion of the overview on how Bayantel gives services to their customer by Mr. Montendo, he showed us where their communication engineers and technical workers done their job. It is actually just a glass away from their audiovisual room. And I liked their spirits, knowing that they are not the only ones who provides services as theirs, still they set their minds with the thinking that they have the best services that customers could be satisfied of.

What I didn’t like?

I kind of didn’t like the units they are using. Not that I am being judgmental but as one of the leading telecommunications company I am expecting a more high-tech computer units just like other companies we have vistited has.

Day 1

What I learned?

I learned that Bayantel uses Mobile Switching Center technology for their landline services. Now what is it? It is a wireless network divided geographically into a number of cells, each defined by a radio frequency (RF) radiation pattern from a respective base transceiver station (BTS) antenna. The BSC may be coupled to a mobile switching center (MSC) and a packet data serving node (PDSN). In typical circuit-switched wireless communication systems, the mobile switching center (MSC) connects the landline public switched telephone network (PSTN) system to the wireless communication system. The mobile switching center is typically split into a mobile switching center server and a media gateway, and incorporates the bearer independent call control (BICC). A mobile switching center includes a first database for storing location information and the call details of a mobile terminal. The MSC is also connected to a second database in which information about a subscriber registered in its mobile communication service is stored. The base stations route the communications to the MSC via a serving BSC. The MSC routes the communications to another subscribing wireless unit via a BSC/base station path or via the PSTN/Internet/other network to terminating destination. Between MSCs, circuit connections provide the handover mechanism that service calls as users roam from one service zone to another.

What I liked ?

I liked their working place, especially after the discussion of the overview on how Bayantel gives services to their customer by Mr. Montendo, he showed us where their communication engineers and technical workers done their job. It is actually just a glass away from their audiovisual room. And I liked their spirits, knowing that they are not the only ones who provides services as theirs, still they set their minds with the thinking that they have the best services that customers could be satisfied of.

What I didn’t like?

I kind of didn’t like the units they are using. Not that I am being judgmental but as one of the leading telecommunications company I am expecting a more high-tech computer units just like other companies we have vistited has.

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) Day111

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) Day1-113
Back to top Go down
cherilyn lagare

cherilyn lagare

PostSubject: Day 1   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:37 pm

October 4, 2010 (DAY 1)

Today, I went on a company visit to SSS Social Security System located at East Avenue Quezon City at exactly9:10 in the morning when we finally reach. The security is strictly inmonitoring the people who are going inside and out of the establishment. Thereis a wide space inside for the vacancy of people doing their transactions. Aswe walked and observed inside, numerous employees are deploying to serve everyindividual in their needs to settle and patch up requirements.

What I learned?
Our fist seminarhappened in the SSS. Loads of new things we learned. To narrow it down thefollowing are the things we find out and discover while the forum is going on.

Ms. Mercy Locena as the master ofceremony introduced as the guess speaker who is currently vice president forthe public affairs Mrs. Marissu G. Bugante. She gladly welcomed as andappreciates the idea of choosing SSS to visit. Her fist slide presentationshows the rule of Social Security Systemas the protection that the society gives its members against the economicand social distressed caused by contingencies. In other words, SSS provides theassistance and benefits for the members who are suffering from futurecatastrophe such as death and retirement. SSS corporate values are trust,empowerment and teamwork. These are important factors to consider, includedalso the mission and vision of the establishments in serving for the good andwelfare for the Filipino citizen. She talked about the importance of getting amembership and participation to us for the future use and requirement. Thecurrent president and chief Executive of SSS is Mr. Emilio S. De Quiros. Mrs.Eugenia dela Cruz as the new speaker, which is the department manager memberrelations shares us also the history and the past years go by when it isfounded. SSS originated in the year 1957. They are celebrating the 53 yeas lastSeptember 1. There are 168 branches located nationwide with 14 overseasbranches. To sum up there are 180 Social Security System establishments working.From 1970 to 1983 the NCR Machines are found at Baguio and Dagupan. The NCRmachines which are Centralized Computer Processing from 1983-1986 uses OracleDBMS. In the year 1992 to 1996 SSS is undergoing a Business Recovery Systemwhich they used the SUNM9000 as server in the main office in San Pablo.

Mr. Leo C. Abayan as the hardware specialist on the working technologiespartake all the information about functioning equipment inside theestablishment. They are operated with biometrics ID system for civilianpurposes. They are not any more producing ID for the members since they areenhancing a new ID production which is called “Unified Purpose ID Card”. ThisID card can avail in all purposes. Approximately 1.7 billion database recordsstored in their main server. These are some of the things they impart to us.

What I liked?
We are divided into threegroups. Per group is required to visit a certain place. One of the memorableplaces we ascertain is the SSS museum. It catches our attention expensivepaintings and historical memorabilia are all found in the full air conditionedroom. I like the places where we visited inside. I love the library beside themuseum. But one thing I like about SSS it is their attitude towards us. Theyare deeply hospitable to us; in fact they treat a great snack for us. Imaginethe first 80 students avail the C2 and burger fever. All for free! This is aone way to show how Filipino embarked the hospitable and welcomingcharacteristics still us embraces.

What I didn’t like?
One thing I notice in SSSit’s the numerous people, closed to “crowded”. And I hate that! While we arehaving the seminar in the SSS, I haven’t remembered the things which I didn’tlike most. I only hark back the time which we are craving for food because weare hungry. We are also longing for a sleep. At that time, we have a classmatewho toke her snap in the middle of the discussion. Well, that’s normal tohappen for those normal people. J Because of the delayed time in travelling across the cities, our lunchis also behind. How pity are we.

Today, I went also on a company visit to First Academy of Computer Arts found in Makati City 3:15 in theafternoon. This is a school for a short term course in learning arts throughthe used of computers and some software. Any person can enroll in the school.If you really love in creating and customizing your anime character, all youhave to do is to come and join the training lesson in first Web Academy. When we got there, the classes are going on.No time for shouting!

What I learned?
We are really amazed by theexamples they showed on us. Michelle is the first name of the speaker who spokeahead on us. She designated the digital arts is all about scanning anything incomputer using any form of arts. A digital art is done by an artist. If I wheregiven a chance to innovate and design my own arts I might called as an artist.There are two categories of digital arts are illustration and lay-outing.Process of animation is a series of movements of the characters. Ate Michelleshared us also about multimedia which definitely boomed together with cellphones. 2D animation is a traditional or usual movie animation. However, it isdifferent from 3D animation since we are facing a prevailing and advance world,3d is now more appreciated by the viewers. What’s the difference behind thetwo? To describe 2D animation, it is what you see what you get while 3Danimation is automatically 360 degrees conceptualized. In fact, there are twotypes of image, the ruster image and the vector image. Ruster image has itslimitation in editing or modifying, while the vector image can picture out ahigh resolution images. We really loved to visit again First Academy sooner.How I wish I can innovate and dress up my cartoon characters or customized thegear of my own design incredible car. She also mentioned about the employmentand future works if an individual engaged on the academy. These are a full timeor a free lancer game developer, an animator or a modeler.

What I liked?
The academy itself is what Iliked. I liked the lessons they are teaching. I like the way they are learningit is through computers. I admire those things I mentioned, I guess I like itbecause really adore “ARTS”. I am looking forward to learn those fabulousthings as soon. Cris is the other person who faced us and demonstrates thesteps on how a single apple can be created by the Maya as their officialsoftware development. Hoooah! That’s really terrible. Imagine a single applecost time and effort just to look perfect. Segments, y-axis and x-axis are allincluded to modify. Hair effect as he said it is the most difficult process tomanage. The animation occur every strand of the hair. I can’t imagine! He usedshort cuts in keyboard such as key5 and key4.

What I didn’t like?
No specific things which Ididn’t like. But there are few things made me confused. First Academy ofComputer Arts offers short term courses. The instructors or mentors are notdegree holder. Hmmm the souvenirs are just few and limited to those student whocan answer their questions.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mae Ontal

Zara Mae Ontal

PostSubject: Day 1   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:25 pm

Today, I went on a company visit to Bayan Telecommunications or also known as Bayantel which is located in Roosevelt, Quezon City nearby the restaurant where we had our lunch. We waited for almost thirty minutes before we were able to enter their facility and they prohibited us to bring any gadgets specially cell phones. They brought us in their board room and showed us a video about their company.

What I learned?

I have learned that they are one of the largest telecommunications company in the country but their services are just limited based on the places assigned by the NTC for them. They serve most of the northern part of Luzon.

What I liked?

I liked the part when the engineer opened the remote controlled window and amazingly we were able to take a glimpse on their control room. I have observed that most of the employees inside the control room were males and they are all busy on whatever they are doing because they didn’t even bother to look in our direction.

What I didn’t like?

Frankly speaking I wasn’t that satisfied with this first company visit. Engr. Alden Commade didn’t discussed more on the IT side and I was expecting that they would tour us in their facilities and would show us their data center but unfortunately it didn’t happen. They dismissed us so early and it’s really disgusting, we spent more time waiting outside. They already knew that we are going to visit them and as I have observed Engr. Cammande wasn’t that prepared to face us because during the question and answer portion he wasn’t able to answer the questions satisfactorily.

lol! bounce
Back to top Go down
http://zarzkieness.tumblr.com/
michael_reggie_gloria

michael_reggie_gloria

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:02 am

Today, I went on a company visit to BayanTel in Queszon City.

What I learned?

They use different hardware to network their clients and this different hardware requires different NMS or Network Management System.
Their company is concentrated in southern parts of the Philippines such us some parts of Visayas and greater Mindanao.

What I liked?

The venue of the discussion is in a very nice conference room. They showed us their Network Operations Center with working people. The speaker was nice.

What I didn’t like?

The speaker was not very familiar with IT. And the topic was about switching of calls and networking telephone lines. We were not familiar with the topic and it was not that interesting.
Back to top Go down
Axel Ros E. Campaña

Axel Ros E. Campaña

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Today I went on a company visit to:

Social Security System
First Academy of Computer Arts

What I learned?

I got a terrible feeling on the first day of our field trip to Manila. I only had few hours of sleep, very excited for the flight to the capital city of the country. At exactly 2:30 am, my alarm clock rang. My mother assisted me in all the things that I need to bring in the trip. And before 4:00 am, we rode a taxi going to the airport. It was ten minutes passed four o’clock in the morning when I and my mother arrived in the airport. I’m the only one who was standing in one corner for I know no close friends there at that time. Suddenly, the taxi where Benjamin Abadilla Jr. And his mother was in came. He was the first close friend and classmate that I saw and after how many minutes, lots of arrived we went inside the airport. After will the processes have been done there, we stayed at gate 8 lounge of the airport and had our picture taking. It was so memorable because it was my first time to have that experience. We had a group picture together with my ‘co-trippers’ taken by our trip facilitator, Mr Randy Gamboa. At 6:10 am, we were already sitting in the seats of the airplane. I’m on the seat number 19C, and beside me were my two classmates, Frenzess and Dianne, seated in 19A and 19B respectively. I felt do happy and excited. At 7:20 am, my classmate Frenzess allowed me to take her seat in exchange with my seat for me to see the great and marvellous view in her side. I saw the Taal lake, the time, cute-looking buildings. And at exactly 7:31 am (Dianne’s time), we landed at NAIA Terminal 3. 8:27 in the morning, we rode the bus where we will be sitting throughout our trip. I belonged to bus number 1 and some of my classmates were in the other bus. Actually, we were the first batch of ‘trippers’ and the second batch had their flight at 10:00 am. My seatmates in the bus were Jane, and Excell. Our tour guide was Kuya Al and the driver’s name was Kuya Oscar. It was also Kuya Jun who played the role as a video-taker of the trip.

Social Security System

In the middle of our trip to the SSS, we had a little discussion about the history of the Philippines. Fifty-three minutes after nine o’clock, we arrived at the big hall of SSS. The symposium started at exactly 10 in the morning. The emcee of the said symposium was Mercy Lucena. After few minutes, Marissy G. Bugante had its welcome address. She served as the introductory speaker of the symposium. She was from Zamboanga, that’s why she knows how to speak in Cebuano. She introduced the objectives of the SSS. I learned in her speech that it was September 1, 1957 when SSS was founded. She also talked about the people’s awareness of the importance of SSS and SSS programs. UMID card was also introduced or the Unified Multipurpose ID card. It is an ID card that will serve as an ID to 4 agencies of the government, PAG-IBIG, SSS, GSIS and PhilHealth. After Ma’am Bugante, Ma’am Eugenia D. Dela Cruz took the stage. She’s the Member Relations Department Head of SSS. I learned from her that Social Security means, “The protection that the society gives its members against economic and social distresses cause by contingency”. SSS have 162 offices nationwide and 14 offices overseas. Then, the Network Communication Department Head, Mr. Leo C. Abayon had his speech. He talked about the IT components of SSS. It was 1970’s when the computerization of the machines in SSS was introduced. It was only Baguio and Dagupan which had an online cooperation of their system. 1986-1992, DDD had a centralized operation, regional branches automation were established. Full computerization of their system started in 1992. 1997, Business Recovery Centre was established. It was located in Cubao. In 2003, the Temporary Disaster Recovery was introduced that was based in San Pablo. They had 132 offices/branches nationwide and 14 foreign branches which were connected online. They used ORACLE as their Database Management System. It took 15 minutes before data can be sent to the back-up centre. According to them, it is a better system because when a disaster will occur, in one of their branches, there can only be a little amount of data that will be loss since data are transferred at the central database every 15 minutes. After the symposium, we had a tour on their ID Production Centre, AFIS (Automated Fingerprint Identification System), their Museum and Library and on their MAC (Members Assistance Centre).

Six minutes after three o’clock, we arrived at First Academy of Computer Arts, Makati City. The person who met us there in the discussion was their Career Management Adviser named Michelle. The discussion started about digital arts, how the technology and computer arts evolved, and about animation. The process of animation is the series of motion of pictures. They shared about what are those opportunities in lay-outing of brochures, flyers, billboards, catalogues, and the likes and also making of logos. It was also discussed there that multimedia boomed as cell phones boomed. Animation had 2 kinds, the 2D and the 3D animation. The classic animation is the 2D animation and the newest generation of animation id the 3D animation. This is about moulding of objects. It is also discussed there about Print Media Arts, about raster and vector images. Raster images have limitations in editing while vector images are needed in higher resolution images. They showed us examples of images, 2D animation and Comics type animation. In video production, they used Adobe After Effects. Then, Mr. Chris was introduced. He showed us on how to make 3D image using the software called MAYA. He made a 3D apple with stem and a leaf /leaves.

What I like? What I didn’t like?

Social Security System

I like their accommodation. They treated us well and gave us snacks even if it wasn’t part of their accommodation to us. They had shared a lot about the agency. Since, we will become employers and employees in the near future, it was nice that SSS benefits have introduced to us. We belong to a new generation of people that’s why it was better in my part that their IT components were discussed. And for our awareness, we were toured on their AFIS. They presented how they handle the redundancy of members in their agency. They are using fingerprints recognition. They are using a software which is USA are using. Generally, I do like all about the tour in SSS. And it is nice that soon ‘trippers’ will also visit SSS in their business/educational trip. At 1:10 in the afternoon, we were back in the bus and ready to go to Great Eastern Hotel, Makati for our lunch.

It was nice that we were brought in that institution because it is in-line of our course. But what I don’t like there is that, the discussion is so boring and I felt sleepy in the middle of the talk. And it wouldn’t be a good idea, based on what I had experience, to go back there. There are still lots of companies/institutions that are better than this school.
DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) Pa040212DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) 69019_10DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) 69006_11

Last edited by Axel Ros E. Campaña on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://sharebyactilot.blogspot.com
kevin.cris.ramos

kevin.cris.ramos

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 6:55 pm

First Day- October 4, 2010

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Social Security System (SSS): It was located at Quezon City. When we arrived they immediately entertain us. One of their employees guides us going to their conference room to have a seminar. After the seminar they divided the crowd by three batches. Every batch has one tour guide to tour us in their establishment and departments. We visit their museum, library and data center. In addition one of my observation inside in the SSS was the security inside of their establishment although there so many people inside.

What I learned?
In Social Security System, when the seminar starts the first speaker was the presently vice president for the public affairs Mrs. Marissu G. Bugante. She introduced to us by the master of ceremony named Ms. Mercy Locena. Mrs. Bugante present the Social Security System rules for the society. Social Security System provides economic and social physical pain caused by something set aside for unforeseen emergency. Also the Social Security System make available the assistance and benefits for the members who are suffering from future devastation such as death and retirement. Social Security System has the corporate values these are trust, empowerment and teamwork. She also introduce to us about the systematic process about how to get a membership.
Mr. Emilio S. De Quiros was the CEO of Social Security System. Mrs. Eugenia dela Cruz as the new speaker, which is the department manager member relations shares us also the history and the past years go by when it is founded. SSS originated in the year 1957. They are celebrating the 53 years last September 1. There are 168 branches located nationwide with 14 overseas branches. To sum up there are 180 Social Security System establishments working. From 1970 to 1983 the NCR Machines are found at Baguio and Dagupan. The NCR machines which are Centralized Computer Processing from 1983-1986 uses Oracle DBMS. In the year 1992 to 1996 SSS is undergoing a Business Recovery System which they used the SUNM9000 as server in the main office in San Pablo.

In addition, one of the hardware specialists introduces to us the functioning equipment of Social Security System who name Mr. Leo C. Abayan. They proudly introduce their unique data center and the application they are using. SSS use a unique identification card because they are using automated finger print application called biometrics. It used for civilian purposes to issue cards in one member only. But they have introducing and producing a new identification card that they used to call Unified Purpose Identification Card. Social Security System reveal some of the secrets about their application software to identify the finger prints if it is exists or not.

What I liked?
One of the high lights when we are in the Social Security System was they allow us to visit and take a picture of their equipment that produces many unique identification cards one at a time. The assigned employee in that room was very approachable of any kind of questions. Not that all they have, SSS shows to us their many expensive paintings in their museum. However we are treated a heavy snacks drinks and burgers. They accommodated the first batch to have a heavy snack for free.

What I didn’t like?
I haven’t seen to be hated in the SSS. One thing I hate that time is I because I am so sleepy and I can’t listen very well during discussion. It is because we are obliged to wake up as early as two am in dawn. However we have no time to take a rest for a while because we are out of the budgeted time of our agency.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today, I went also on a company visit to
First Academy of Computer Arts found in Makati City 3:15 in the afternoon. This was the second educational tour we have at that day. It is a school for a short term course in learning arts through the use of computers and some software. It was the home of computer artist. They are using many kind of editorial software like maya, adobe photoshop and some of software. First Academy of Computer Arts offered a tutorial to their students.

What I learned?
First, the speaker named Michelle introduce to us the Digital Arts that scan anything in computer any form of arts. She also taught us the categories of arts done by computer artist. First category was illustration in the middle of year 80’s. Also at this time the animation first introduces, it has the process of animation. Series of movements of the characters. Second category was lay-outing she talks about the multimedia, 2d and 3d animation. She stated the difference between two dimensional animations and three dimensional animation. Michelle shared to us that the multimedia boomed together with the cellular phones. She gives her own definition about the two dimensional animation it is the traditional movie animation, what you see is what you get. The three dimensional animation was rotated animation automatically rotated in 360 degree. Nowadays the most appreciated animation was the three dimensional animation. In fact, there are two types of image, the ruster image and the vector image. Ruster image has its limitation in editing or modifying, while the vector image can picture out a high resolution images. How I wish I can innovate and dress up my cartoon characters or customized the gear of my own design incredible car. She also mentioned about the employment and future works if an individual engaged on the academy. These are a full time or a free lancer game developer, an animator or a modeler. We learned a lot of new things about the industry of animation.

What I liked?
Weeeh!!!. I love arts. I like the school that the lesson they are teaching. They teach us some basic concepts how to create three dimensional animation. Using maya photo editor software kuya Cris teach the shortcuts and something “skeamers” in the editor. It is amazing to have three dimensional animations you need to have an hour or higher than hour to manipulate that kind of art.

What I didn’t like?
Honestly speaking I want to know and have knowledge about computer arts in that school but sad to say I can’t afford the tuition. But practical speaking I am disappointed when one of our companions gets a souvenir bag coming from them. Huhuhu.
Back to top Go down
Shirley "df" Reuyan

Shirley

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Day 1

Today, after the journey with our tour bus which is sponsored by Maynilad Tours. I went to a company visit which is Bayan Telecommunication (Bayantel) located at Quezon City. The company is quite huge, and we actually have a time lag because of some arguments.

What I learned?
According to the speaker, Bayan telecommunication (Bayantel) is one of the largest telecommunication in town. But still there services are not boundless but in fact very narrow. They also use diverse hardware to network some of their data’s to their different clients in some parts of Luzon.

What I liked?
After watching the video about their company, the spokesperson uses a device to open a wide window which we can see it transparently inside. It’s a big type of confession room, a touch of darkness, and a big monitor. Actually that place is a cute stuff, that’s why I liked it, very much.

What I didn’t like?
Well, in all conscience I’m not satisfied in my first visit. The speaker did not discuss the IT thingummy, which I really want to hear from them. Then I’m not that fulfilled bout the facilities they have.
Back to top Go down
Ma. Monique H. Asuque

Ma. Monique H. Asuque

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:43 pm

Day 1

This was day that we have been waiting for! Our trip to Manila. On the first day, October 4, 2010, we left Davao at 10:10 am and arrived in Manila at 11:55 am via Cebu Pacific Airlines, too bad we weren’t able to see dancing flight attendants [hehe]. It was memorable for me because it was my first time; first time to go inside the airport, first time to see an airplane in a closer look and ride on it. It was pretty fascinating for me. As the aircraft was starting to move my heart beat increased like it was about to burst. When we were already flying, I could see the beautiful islands of the Philippines. It was breath-taking. But when we were approaching Manila, the white clouds and blue waters became brown and muddy. I do not know but I felt a little sad because the place was now really polluted and I felt bad for those who were living there. But I am still hopeful that there would still be a time that it will be back to what it was before, Philippines is a beautiful country, you know. After an hour and half, we were descending already and I felt really excited. After landing, we went to see our buses and tour guides. I belong to Bus 4.

Since we arrived in Manila almost 12 noon and we were starving, we went directly to Jade Valley Cantonese Cuisine Restaurant located in the corner of Sct. Torillo and Sct. Rallos, Quezon City. It was a buffet meal so I ate a lot. We also took a little picture taking and sight-seeing.

Today I went on company visit to Bayan Telecommunications at Quezon City.

What I learned?

We all know that BayanTel is one of the largest telephone service providers, but know they don’t just deal with telephones but with internet connections as well. They showed to us how their company works and how they monitor their connections from different parts of the country.

They have also shared to us the history of their company. Bayan Telecommunications Holdings Corporation was incorporated in October 15, 1993. Bayan Telecommunications, the operating arm of BTHC and formerly known as International Communications Corporation, was incorporated in April 18, 1996. I learned that their company provides major services like Local Exchange Carrier (LEC), International Gateway Facility (IGF), Leased Line service, domestic and international, Public Trunk Radio, and Public Calling Office. Their existing nationwide network is composed of satellite, terrestrial and land/submarine based cable facilities. The network includes capacities in the National Digital Transmission Network (NDTN), a joint project of six Philippine telecommunications carriers. They do have variety of services that involves lots of data transmissions and communications. Aside from the landline and internet, they serves alongside with business people providing Data Transport services, IP services, Value Added services, Managing services and Voice services. They also provide international communication in order to keep long-distance relationships get in-touch as long as they wish; which helps people especially those who have been working outside the Philippines. So this goes to show that Bayan Telecommunication is not just an easy company, it is a huge corporation that offers good service to consumers like us.

What I liked?

Today, well the food at Jade Valley was really great. Since we arrived at 12 noon, we only had half of the day left for the company visit and that was allotted for one company. For Bayantel, I like the way they entertained us. They showed us some goos sides of their company that would greatly help us in the near future.

Another thing was of course, the first mall time we had at SM Mall of Asia. It is one of the places that I have wanted to visit ever since. I was really thrilled when I got to see the huge globe outside the mall. It was almost dinner when we got there so we got to see the globe with dancing lightings. It was really fascinating. We also went to Timezone, where our favorite Dance Maniax was located. As expected, we just hang out on that place for the whole time. After playing, we went directly to Taste Asia in MOA where we had our dinner. I also liked the food there.

What I didn’t like?

When we got to Bayantel, I was not satisfied with what they have shown to us, I almost fell asleep because what they have showed to us is just the same with what they are showing on tv that serves as their advertisements. And I am honestly sick of that. I know what kind of business they have that is why I keep asking for more, like how specifically the services evolves and runs countrywide. And I could see that they were not ready and prepared when we got there, it was like an impromptu show. I wish they have shown more to satisfy us students that might be working with them in the near future.

I also didn’t like the time when we got to MOA because I wasn’t able to do ice skating! We were wearing formal clothes with heels. I hated it a lot because ever since I was in Davao, I have always wanted to do that.

End of Day 1.
Back to top Go down
Frenzess-Joy H. Elman

Frenzess-Joy H. Elman

PostSubject: Day 1 - F. J. Elman   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:38 pm

Day 1 – October 4, 2010

My day 1 starts when I woke up at around 2:30am in the morning of October 4th, 2010. I can’t even believe that it was finally the day we’ve been all waited for! After the final preparations, me and my bestfriend classmate Irelene, together with our family, went to the airport from our house.

We arrived at Davao International Airport at 10 pass 4am(a little bit late but it was a great timing). And again I can’t believe that I am finally about to ride an airplane! Me and my classmates who are first timers were really anxious at that time, from all the inspections to the waiting area. I was feeling so groggy at that time but excitement and nervousness overpowered it.

The sunrise view from the waiting area was breath-taking. We took a lot of pictures, and also a Batch 1 (1st batch to fly to Manila) picture.

The flight details are as follows:

Flight date: October 4, 2010
Bound: Davao – Manila
Depart: Davao, 0615H
Arrival: Manila, 0800H
Boarding Time: 0545H
Sequence Number: 56
Seat Number: 19-A (Yehey! I was seated near the window pane!)

When we finally got to the plane, I remembered the most thing that I’m afraid of when I ride vehicles: Motion Sickness. Oh My Gosh. I don’t want to puke in my first flight. But for precautionary measures, I readied myself to the worst case scenario to happen, checked if there’s a paper bag, and chewed a lot of bubblegum. I even took an anti-motion sickness medicine before the flight.

At the first 10 minutes of the flight, I was glad that I didn’t feel sick at all… But after that, it all came down on me. I felt really sick and I was really about to puke. It’s a good thing that Dianne was seated next beside me. I asked her to continuously press the vertex of my thumb and forefinger, as advised by our facilitator. And it worked! I didn’t feel much groggy because of that. All throughout the course of the flight, I was nursed by Dianne. Thanks much, my friend!

At some point of our flight, me and Axel switched places because I was useless being at the side-most of the seats. He wanted to see the wonderful view outside the flying plane. I too wanted much to peek outside but it makes me sicker when I look outside. So I agreed to swap places. How sad.

After about an hour or so, we finally arrived at NAIA. I’m at Manila!!! Oh My Gosh. Finally. The first thing that we immediately noticed was that Manila skies are dark and heavy even though it wasn’t about to rain.

Immediately after land of the plane it was all business. After getting our baggage the Maynilad Tours and Services were already outside the airport to pick us up. The funny thing was our facilitators Sir Randy and Sir Gamboa got “stressed” because we stayed too long at the airports’ comfort room. They got “stressed” a little because we might get left behind by the bus.

And… Here it goes again! The motion sickness prolonged. And it’s going to be a 5-day torture!!! Because the main transportation is the bus. Am I going to survive this? I thought to myslelf. But I eventually held on. That’s a good thing.

Some of us had problem indentifying as to what bus are we going to get in. This is due to some of us not well-informed of the changed made beforehand regarding bus-assignment. Me and some of my classmates were sure and thought that we are really on Bus 2. But actually it was Bus 1! But our facilitators said that it’s ok though…

And so, the official field trip business has already started. Very Happy

Today, I went on a company visit to…

SOCIAL SECURITY SYSTEM (SSS)

At exactly 10 am in the morning, we arrived at the Social Security System (SSS) Main Office, at Quezon City.

The personnel there are very accommodating, and the place is very comfortable and cozy too. I like how nature is exhibited inside the building premises. It was truly a perfect place for an office.

We headed straight to a very spacious room which I presumed to be their multi-purpose hall. The seminar was to be conducted there.

While I was seated, I quickly noticed the bold letters printed at the back of the stage: “Kabalikat sa Tuwid na Landas sa Pagbangon ng Pilipinas”. It was their Motto or Theme for the year, I guess.

So the seminar finally started. The speakers for the seminar as as follows: Mrs. Sonia Quinto, Mrs. Eugenia dela Cruz, Mrs. Marissu Bucante, and Mr. Leo Abayon. The special guests for the event were our facilitators Mr. Randy S. Gamboa and Mr. Jappeht Fortich.

The first speaker, Mrs. Marissu Bucante, talked about the importance of SSS in our society today. She also discussed the latest advancements in their system: The shifting of ID cards from the older one to the unified ID card through the use of Automated Fingerprint System (AFIS), and many more.

The second speaker, Mrs. Eugeina dela Cruz, talked about the various SSS programs. She also stressed what SSS is all about. SSS is a system which provides protection from economic and social distresses caused by sickness, child birth, etc. for Filipino citizens.

She also gave us a brief history of how SSS started. From its foundation until now, it has been running for 53 years. At first, the system only provides services such as loan programs and programs for investments. But now it offers a wide variety of programs that qualified persons can avail. Discussions of the systems’ nature, vision, mission and goal were also made.

After that, it was the turn of the Head of the Computer and Network Communications Department of SSS, Mr. Leo Abayon. The agenda for the discussion are the ITMG, History of SSS Computerization and Facilities.

He said that the mission of the department is to provide a quality business and technology-based system for SSS and for the people served by the system.

The computerization of the system started at NCR, with only two branches online. Not all branches and processes were computerized at that time, which means they only use the manual system. At around 1992-1996, full computerization was accomplished. In 2000, there is already a centralized database, security was strengthened through the use of networking technology, and the concretization of the recovery system. In case of disaster, a back-up storage is made and set-up so that the database will not be destroyed completely.

He also presented to us the current set-up of the network that they are using inside the system. I wasn’t surprise that it was so CISCO-ish. But anyways, the server they use is the SUN M9000. There is a duplicate for the system which is called the Disaster Recovery Site. Members can access the system through the use of e-SERVICES which provides the registration and etc. There are also touch-screen terminals and telephones from where the inputs from the end users are taken.

As of now, there are about 132 local SSS branches nationwide and 14 foreign branches worldwide.

They also have their own website, which is accessible and id intended for public access: sss.gov.ph. It uses the web-based inquiry system through the use of net.

Another component of the SSS Network Facilities is the Private Networking, that is composed of linear clusters and leased lines.

Main components of their network are: clusters, processing centers, receiving centers, main office and disaster recovery center.

For connection to public networks, they use strong firewalls for security.

In terms of security, the private network of their system, which is the main office, has the proprietary set-up. This means that this component has antivirus software for internal security.

After the long but fruitful discussion, there is a question and answer portion. The first question was is the SSS open or making a move for those individuals who profit from online jobs and shops? And they said that they are making a step for those self-employed people, particularly those who are inclined in the field of Information Technology.

After the seminar, we were given a chance to have a quick tour of their main office. The first one that we toured was their Museum and Library, which is more focused in the field of Law and Management collections. In their 53rd anniversary, they have dedicated this facility, and is now open for employees. And they are planning to have it open for public, and also add more books and collections other than law and management collection of books. This facility provides knowledge about the practical and theoretical applications of the processes in terms of law and management. It also exhibits the milestones and historical value of the SSS all throughout the years.

The second tour was at the Members Assistance Center (MAC). The facility, as its name suggests, provides assistance for members in terms of applying and registering of the members to any of their programs. It has 62 counters in total. Statistically, there is about 10% added number of members everyday. And the SSS has already 29 million members worldwide. They are also willing to expand online, if given the chance.

The third tour is at the SSS ID Card Production Center. The facility has 3 sections, namely: The AEFIS (Automated Fingerprint Identification System) section, the ID Production section, and the Mailing section. The AEFIS, which does all the authentication and matching of identities, is the amazing part, because there are really expert people who will just look at the fingerprints and they will know if it’s a match or not. They also use softwares for authentication, in which we can relate. All the matching is done in this section, even if it not in the Philippines, because all the information is then forwarded in this section, in which the centralized database is located.

What I learned?

From this first company visit alone, I can say that my field trip is already solved! It is because at the SSS, I have been exposed to IT applications in a daily basis, and I have realized that it is very vital, especially in terms of this kind of services.

I have learned that networking is really important. I have seen how they put up machines and wires together to form a network that is essential in their daily processes.

Website is also important because it is their main connection to the members. It is where they can post new advancements and announcements for the members to be always updated.

Not only networking, but also programming is an integral part of their system. Programs are being built to authenticate and use databases, as with the case of the AEFIS.

What I liked?

Aside from the delicious snacks, I like the way they construct their system as a whole, from the central database, to their authentication system, to their member assistance system. I also like the disaster recovery system because it is really a sure-sure win solution.

What I didn’t like?

In general, I have nothing to say against SSS. From their warm accommodation to how they put up their system in the technical way, it is superb.

After the long half-day that we experienced, we left from SSS main office at exactly 1pm and headed straight for lunch. Yes, we were really already tired, starvation added up. The food in the Jade Valley Restaurant was delicious! But I didn’t get to eat the grilled fish that was actually worth 5,000 pesos, and I didn’t know that until later. We also met with my classmates and schoolmates from the Batch 2 plane at the restaurant. After the satisfying lunch, it was business as usual. We headed for the next destination.

SPI Global (Solutions. People. Innovation.)

We arrived at the SPI Global Center at Parañaque at exactly 3pm in the afternoon. Like Sutherland, it is also a Business Process Outsourcing company.

We directly got on with the seminar. First they talked about how their company started and its history.

The said company was the first IT company to enter the Philippine Stock Exchange. And the company also garnered various awards such as being at the Top 10 Best BPO Service Providers and Global Outsourcing Leader.

The company, currently named SPI Global, aims to be in the forefront of Market Leadership.

They also discussed to us their nature of operations. Some of these are publishing and healthcare delivery, legal consulting and development, and sales and marketing.

The company is mainly company-based, meaning if an individual excels in terms of performance, then he or she would be most likely to be promoted quickly.

Aside from work-related activities, they also have this what they call “Work-Life Balance”. In other words, club activities. Of course, with the performance-based test in their company, they also opted to have extra-curricular activities that will help them hone their well being as a whole.

And down to the main topic: the IT-related component of their company.The IT-component of their company is the Corporate Solutions Development Group.

As they go on with the topic, it was so SAD-ish. They use SDLC or the Systems Development Life Cycle in pushing through their projects. The waterfall model suits most of their projects because most of their projects have only small-to-medium processes.

They use development tools such as Visual Studio, MS SQL, Crystal Reports and AJAX.

After the quick seminar, they took us on a tour inside their facilities. They showed us the health and care department, sales and services department, and the fitness and wellness department. We met up with their team of professionals, and saw them on action with their work. Truly they were really amazing.

What I learned?

From the seminar, I have learned that SAD concepts are really important, especially when we get to have our jobs. I have realized that we must improve the skills that we have now, in order to be competitive in the field of work.

What I liked?

I liked the ambience of the workplace, because it is so silent and cozy, which makes it conducive and productive for the workers. I also like the thought that what is taught to us now will really be applied when we get a job or have our own company.

What I didn’t like?

What I didn’t like honestly was that the seminar wasn’t really interactive at all. Yes, we can relate to most of what they were saying, but the connection from the speakers to the audience is not that good.

And talking about their company, I didn’t like the way they put their workers in too much pressure. I know that in order to have quality output from their workers they must pressurized them, but I think it will just make an unhealthy competition and atmosphere inside the workplace.

After the very long day of seminars and company visit, we went on a side trip to Mall of Asia (MOA). Afterwards, we ate our dinner at Stardish, beside Mall of Asia. And at last, we have can finally have ourselves checked-in in the Garden Plaza Hotel at Paco, Manila.

A good nights’ sleep was all we need.

Last edited by Frenzess-Joy H. Elman on Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Genne Zareth Fernandez

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:40 pm

Subject: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)

8:00 a.m. was our arrival in Ninoy Aquino International Airport. After the airport we go straight ahead to the Social Security System Office. While we are in the bus Kuya Al or our tour guide gives us some trivia about Manila and others, such as the original name of EDSA (Epifanio Delo Santos Avenue “The Street of June 19”.

Social Security System Office
East Ave., Quezon City

On our first day of our tour we visited the Philippine Social Security System or SSS. I had a wonderful time in the SSS because they warmly welcomed us with big smiles in their faces. Truly they gave effort in discussing the process and benefits of being a SSS member, such as retirement benefit where a cash granted-either as monthly pension or a lumpsum amount-to a remember who can no longer work due to old age. The welcome remark was done by Ms. Marissa G. Bugante. The speakers discuss the different programs and types of loans that their company offers. They also gave us a tour in their mini-library and mini-museum. The records of SSS since the first day it started were stored in there. I was amaze by their mini-museum, where all the pictures of the former presidents of the SSS are displayed and the dress that the late Pres. Cory Aquino were also put on display. They showed to us a room where all the process such us making license and SSS I.D.

What I have learned.

The SSS started in 1957 and they are serving the Filipino citizens up to the present time. SSS are now celebrating their 53 years in service. I have learned that being a member of SSS does have lots of benefits but in order to avail these benefits the member must to their responsibility like paying their monthly contribution. They also have this software that could identify the real owner of that thumb mark and that could spot the redundancy of membership. They use biometrics system; biometrics refers to technologies that measure and analyze human body characteristics, such as DNA, fingerprints, eye retinas and irises, voice patterns, facial patterns and hand measurements, for authentication purposes. I have also learned SSS uses SUN M9000 as their server.

What I liked?

I liked their openhandedness, the warm welcomed and especially the snack they had serve and souvenirs they had given. They give their best effort in accommodating us and I also liked their facilities mainly that thumb mark identification software.

What I didn’t like?

As far as I can remember I do not have things that I dislike in this tour.
After we had lunch at Great Eastern Hotel at Makati we directly went to:

First Web Academy of Computer Arts
Makati City

First Web Academy of Computer Arts at Makati City was our second company on that same day. It was just a whole second floor of the building. The rooms can accommodate I think 8 to 10 students because when I saw their room it’s not that spacious. But what caught my attention were their students doing animation. I was amazed that they could do such characters. One of the instructor their showed us on how to make a 3D apple using Maya.

What I have learned?

I learned that it is the first and only computer training institution that offers the most comprehensive and effective Digital Arts, Web designs and 3D Animation Certificate Programs. They assure that every student develop actual computer skills. One of the software they are using in making 3D animation is Maya Software. This software…..I thought making a 3D apple will just take a while but it’s not, it takes time to make a perfect a three dimension apple.

What I liked?

What I liked is when they show to us on how to make basic 3D picture such as an apple. They show to us some of the portfolio of their students. Portfolio is the compilation of the works of their students.

What I didn’t like?

I didn’t like the part where the head of that institution was talking in front of us about their school; most of us were half-asleep including me so I do not clearly understand what she was talking.
Back to top Go down
nesscel_ann_calara

nesscel_ann_calara

PostSubject: Day 1, Monday, October 4th 2010   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:46 pm

The night before I was pretty sure everything was ready, yet after getting up really early; still I got to the airport by 9am instead of 8am which is two hours before the flight. On the line to checking in I felt sick, I didn’t want to leave. It was funny after all the years of struggling for my independence and always wanting to do things on my own, I stood there glancing and waving towards my mother , worried sick that the next time I look, she might not be there anymore. It was the exact same feeling I had in preschool and grade school, every first day of class, except that today I’m 20.

It wasn’t my first time on an airplane, but definitely the first time without my parents. I didn’t enjoy the ride. Before, they always let me sit next to the window, but that time my seat was by the aisle and the person sitting by the window in my row wasn’t looking outside like what I want to do, he was sleeping as soon as the plane took off, his jaw hanging open.

Manila

I hadn’t been in Manila for 15 years which means I had no clear memory of the place and I didn’t know what to expect. So there I was, and Manila well—filthy. It’s got tall buildings and bridges, better billboards and trains, history and of course the legacy, many things we don’t have back in Davao, yet, it really is undeniably unclean and I don’t want to know how some corners smells like. That is how I would describe the famous Maynila.

So, there’s the tour guide going on and on from introducing himself, to sharing facts about some famous spots we’ve passed by, (e.g. Intramuros, UST, GMA 7, QC Circle, Banko Sentral, National Museum, other schools and offices, malls, monuments, theatres, mga pook at lalawigan…etc.) to making a few supposedly funny punch lines.

Lunch

They call it Jade Valley Restaurant. It kinda’ sounds like home.

It was buffet, the food was good and the service is okay, except that they take a picture of you without a warning and then obligate you to buy it. That’s not so nice. It was the start of the all-that-buffet-galore.

BayanTel[/b]

What I have learned,
The first company we visited was the Bayan Telecommunications Inc. which is located in Quezon City. From the slideshow they presented were these facts; BayanTel is a telecommunications company serving areas in Metro Manila, Bicol and local exchange service areas in the Visayas and Mindanao regions combined cover a population of over 25 million, nearly 33% of the population of the Philippines. The Company was the operating arm of BTHC and formerly known as International Communications Corporation, it was incorporated in April 18, 1961.

What I liked,
There were short discussions regarding their networking systems. They showed us a glimpse of their workgroup. This company visit wasn’t very long.^^

What I didn't like, The visit was way too short and gave too little information, I was expecting more.

SM Mall of Asia
I was starting to not enjoy my time. For some reason I want to bail out and just go back to Davao. Clearly that’s not possible. So we were at the famous MOA, my feet were killing me, that taught me never to wear those shoes again. The place was huge, right now I wish I had a better look. We had dinner at Atcha’s Grill.

Garden Plaza Hotel

It was supposedly the end of a not so glorious day for me, but not quite. The hotel, in my opinion, was not that impressive at first. The lobby was nothing like our Marco Polo, I expected we weren’t really gonna get something that good.

And then we got the keys to our hotel room--Room 311. The five of us were astonished upon finding our room, it was larger than the others, it has a living room, a dining table, a cooking stove—something the other rooms didn’t have, a refrigerator, cable TV, a nice bathroom, bath towels and good smelling blankets for each of us. Plus, the hotel offers WIFI connection and a swimming pool!

We were all very happy until we realized a few things. The cupboards at the living room had dead cockroaches in it, there were a few small roaches under the bed sheets too, the stove was without a gas tank, if you look under the bed, you’d see monsters, the toilet doesn’t flush, and there was the usual resident ghost. They’d charge you 150php a day for WIFI connection and the swimming pool; it’s so huge it could accommodate a maximum of 5 people.

Yes, the hotel wasn’t that impressive till the end.

Back to top Go down
Sherwin_Elioreg

Sherwin_Elioreg

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:59 pm

• Day 1
October 4, 2010, it was our first day for our fieldtrip. All of us were so excited, we don’t
know what to expect when we arrive at Manila. Most of us were first timers, first time to ride on a plane and first time to go outside Mindanao. For me, it wasn’t my first time to go outside Mindanao because I’ve been to Luzon particularly in Laoag City when I was still in my elementary days. My classmates can’t really hide their feelings of excitement by the time they boarded on the plane. I was just observing them and I got irritated by some of my classmates who keeps on walking, standing and taking pictures inside the plane but it was just fine for me because I know they were very energized. After an hour in the plane, we finally arrived at the NAIA (Ninoy Aquino International Airport) in Manila. We were very excited to step out of the plane and see the beauty of the capital city of the Philippines. But before we stepped out the plane we made sure that we will have picture with plane crews and the pilot. NAIA was very nice, way better than Davao International Airport. By the time we arrived in Manila, I told some of my classmates to start speak Filipino because obviously, people in Manila cannot understand Cebuano dialect. Outside NAIA, we were then welcomed by the tour guides and crews from the Maynilad Tours and Education Services, the travel agency that catered and serviced us. There were two buses to accommodate the second batch of students. And now were ready to go to our first company visit, oh wait! Not yet. Before we went to our first company visit, we had our lunch first at Jade Valley Restaurant, Timog Avenue, Quezon City. I didn’t like some of their foods because I don’t know maybe it was first time to eat those kind of foods but still I was full after our lunch in that restaurant. And now, we really are ready to go to our first company visit. In our first day, I went on a company visit to Bayantel found in Quezon City. The company was quite far from where we ate our lunch and all of us were so sleepy when we arrived at Bayantel. Before the speaker started his lecture he first showed us a video presentation promoting their company, *sigh* well, we can’t blame because it’s part of their job. He then showed us another video presentation regarding the structure of their company. What I learned is that Bayantel is the largest telecommunication company in the Philippines which I thought PLDT holds the record for that. Just like other communication companies, they also provide voice services, internet access and wide area networking (WAN). They have 72 networks, 2 TV monitors and 7 large projection screens nationwide. Bayantel offices can be found mostly in the Southern part of the Philippines while PLDT can be found mostly in the northern part of the Philippines. Why? Because based on the National Telecommunications Commission (NTC) they are doing this to maintain competition between other companies. What I liked about the company was their place; very spacious that all of us 75 students were accommodated in their conference hall and what I didn’t liked is the displeasing security guard who scolded our tour guide for not asking permission to bring us inside the conference hall and of course the speaker that seems not interested in giving us a lecture. He told us that they still have a meeting that’s why he is hurrying to finish the lecture but still he answered our questions confidently. If I were to rate our first company visit in Bayantel with 1 the lowest and 10 highest, I would give them the rate of 5. It seems that they are not prepared for us. Our minds and bodies were drained after the trip and the very boring company visit in Bayantel but still I’m optimistic that the next few days will be different and will be more exciting than what we did in the first day. After the company visit, we then went to the biggest mall in the Philippines, well, it’s actually the former biggest mall in the Philippines according to our tour guide, the SM Mall of Asia. We arrived at MOA 3 hours earlier than our dinner time so we have no choice but to tour the place. We had fun with some of my classmates by touring the mall and by playing in the mall’s arcade place. The mall was really big that you cannot tour the whole place in just one day. After 3 hours of touring the mall and waiting for our dinner, we finally had our dinner in Taste Asia also located in MOA. After our fruitful dinner, we then proceed to the hotel where we still for four nights, the Garden Plaza Hotel. The place was kinda creepy because there are less people who are wandering around. A short orientation of the hotels rules and regulations were given to us before we went to our respective rooms. I thought I can rest my drained mind and body but our professor then told us that we will have a meeting with the company’s agents and a room to room visit with the rest of the participants on the fieldtrip. *sigh* we finished our tasks almost 12 in midnight with my roommates already sleeping. By the time I laid down in my bed, I took my sleep easily. We, the officers should be the one to wake up first in the morning for us to wake up our other classmates. What a tiring job for us!
Back to top Go down
Ruchan Alangilan

Ruchan Alangilan

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:58 pm

Day 1
October 4, 2010, AM

After our arrival here in Manila at around 11am, we took our lunch at Jade Valley, it was a buffet lunch so we ate till our stomachs were full. After our scrumptious meal, we went on a company visit to BayanTel, located at Quezon City - one of the telecommunications provider here in the Philippines, 85.4 per cent owned by the Lopez Group and Benpres, a publicly-listed holding company. BTHC’s other main shareholder is the AIF. The operator has a majority stake in NTDN (National Digital Transmission Network), giving BayanTel access to NTDN's nationwide fibre-optic backbone covering 2,762 km and part-owned by six other major telecommunications carriers. They accommodated us into their conference room. After that they presented us a short clip about their company.

What I learned?

In BayanTel, I learned how they connect with there clients as well as how they serve and satisfy them. I learned they monitor their connections. This Monitoring they called was like checking all connection from time to time if there is a bad or lost connection that may impact the company negatively if they fail to address the issues immediately. In order for them to that, they had a monitoring team that works 24/7. I also found out that they use a device which was responsible for the connection or the networking. They called it “SWITCH”, not the typical switch that we knew of. This switch is a box where all of the clients’ connection within its range is connected through this switch. I also learned that NTC licensed BayanTel to operate in Mindanao, Visayas and some parts in Luzon, particularly in Metro Manila.

What I liked?

I liked Bayantel’s untiring efforts to keep their customers happy by monitoring their services 24/7.

What I didn’t like?

I didn’t like Bayantel’s accommodation to us. Because we waited outside for a couple of minutes knowing that it was a hot sunny day. And we were gathered at their conference room wherein was not enough to accommodate us all. We were like sardines because of the small place. We stayed for a couple of minutes and then after the video presentation and some questions, we left the building because their bosses’ will have a meeting at the conference room.
Back to top Go down
http://chanluie2010.blogspot.com
Alaina_Simbal

Alaina_Simbal

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 11:59 pm

Day 1
(October 4, 2010)

Today, I went on a company visit to Bayantel after we had our lunch at Jade Valley.
An employee from Bayantel showed us a video clip about what their company can offer to their clients and future clients. After that, he showed us his presentation about the background and history of their company.

What I learned?
With the presentation that they had given us, I have learned that they have a larger number of clients in Visayas and Mindanao than in Luzon. And the owners of Bayantel are the Lopez group.
I have noticed that they were using packet tracer-like software which they use to monitor their service connection. They have a separate “team” or group of employees which monitors and maintains the service connection.

What I liked?
What I liked about this company visit was the part where they showed us a part of the other room, which was their Network Operations Center (NOC), where the monitoring teams were working.

What I didn’t like?
I do not like the place where we were gathered. The room was too small to cater us. A conference room cannot cater more than forty students. I also don’t like the topic that they presented us. It was not that interesting.
I guess these were some factors why some of my classmates were not listening.
Back to top Go down
Benjamin_Abadilla_Jr

Benjamin_Abadilla_Jr

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:35 am

Day 1

Today I went on a company visit to Social Security System at East Avenue, Quezon city, and at First Web Academy at Makati city. We arrived at Social security Systems at 9:30am, just after we arrived at the Ninoy International airport. Then later that afternoon, 3:00pm, one our late than our supposed to be schedule, we arrived at the first Web Academy.
There were so many thing that I learned in today’s visit. First at Social Security Systems, we had a talk about the history of SSS. I also learned about the benefits of the Social Security System. Speakers talked about volunteer contributors, especially for self-employed citizens. SSS only limits 15% of the income to be contributed. This is also where I first learned the extreme importance of backup. A speaker talked about the data system side of the SSS. Social Security System have a backup Server deployment in another place other than the Main Server they have in there main office. This is to avoid long downtime when the main server fails due to unstoppable causes. I also learned from Doctor Randy that it is possible to get both GSIS and SSS benefits. A government worker is obliged to get a GSIS, but can also get SSS through volunteering. After the talk, we had a tour. We learned a lot from the new SSS id card. The new card is multi purpose, which means it can also be used in some other branches of services, like philhealth. The new card has a special barcode that is imprinted based on the thumb marks of the owner of the ID. They use special coding algorithms for barcode. SSS also worked hard to check on fraud in their ID system. They check every thumb mark of every person who applies for a new ID with super computer software and by a specialist to avoid people from a doppelganger. The old magnetic tapes are now used in the new ID.
They also have a new machine that manufactures IDs, although it Is slower than there previous machine in terms of number of production per day, but the new machine is space effective and is very adaptable and adjustable to changes. I learned all how the SSS multipurpose ID is produced from the capturing of the person application, to the fraud checking and to the actual manufacturing of the ID. We also had a tour in their library. Social Security Systems has a database of records of their clients not only in digital computer form, but also in a written book form. I also saw of historic events in SSS in their museum. I saw their old ID cards, pictures of how SSS started and survived especially during Marcos regime and some of the obsolete telephone and calculators. I also saw some historic coins in the history of the Philippines. Last tour at Social Security Systems was at the front end of their company, the busiest place I saw. There were specific windows for specific client service to accommodate the large number of people in the place.
They have capturing stations for people who want to apply for the ID and a lot more other windows for accounts. Doctor Randy even tested to get an update of his SSS account contribution through the telephone.
At the First Web Academy, I learned a lot about animation and digital arts. Flash is extremely good to use in animations. Aside from that, I learned soft wares they use to create their 3rd models and animations, like Maya. Also, through seeing their hands-on presentation, I shocking found out how to create a simple 3d apple. It was simple but at the same time complicated. At First Web Academy, they have classes than on have 5-8 students and one instructor, they say it is good for instructor to student knowledge sharing, so that students can learn more because the instructor can spend a lot more time with each of them.
Also, through the Question of Doctor Randy, I learned that these Teachers at the First Web Academy are TESDA accredited only because digital arts are only regarded as skill, as to Doctor Randy, belong to a high respected IT educators group, is looking for masters in digital arts and CHED accredited computer arts so that there proposal of a new course, Bachelor of Science in Computer Entertainment because BS courses need Masters for teacher as required by CHED, which by the way Master in digital arts are hard to get. Digital Animator and designer need an portfolio of the works they made. This portfolio is extremely important to them, especially when they need to apply to a certain company for a artistic position because these portfolio is more important than the grades they obtain and will be more focused by the employer.

What I like about this day is that the SSS people where put very large effort to accommodate us and to assure that we learned what they do. And that we had a really close encounter at their business especially to their ID manufacturing Stages. Information wise was outstanding.

What I didn’t like that the SSS people although were very accommodating, they didn’t put in mind about the time scheduled for us. So we very became late. Also, is that we were so many, despite the batching solution, we were still so many and that not all of us had a really good look on the tour and had a good listen to the speaker of the tour, and I think this problem is going to be consistent through out this field trip cause we are really large in numbers.
Back to top Go down
Marybert V. Lee

Marybert V. Lee

PostSubject: FTS First Day   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:38 am

First Day

Today, I went on a company visit to : Bayan Telecommunications, SFMD, Quezon City

Company Background:
• Bayan Telecommunications Inc.

Bayan Telecommunications Inc. (BayanTel) is a telecommunications company offering an extensive breadth of traditional links and circuitry as well as cutting-edge data and voice applications. BayanTel's existing service areas in Metro Manila and Bicol and local exchange service areas in the Visayas and Mindanao regions combined cover a population of over 25 million, nearly 33% of the population of the Philippines

Its operating units in the provincial fronts are the following: BayanTel - Bicol for Bicol region; BayanTel - Eastern Visayas for Samar & Leyte provinces; and BayanTel - South Mindanao for Davao del Sur and South Cotabato particularly Davao City and General Santos City, and BayanTel - Agusan for North Mindanao areas particularly Butuan City and Agusan Towns; respectively.

BayanTel is also a leading provider of data and communications services such as dedicated domestic and international leased lines, frame relay services, Internet access, and other managed data services like Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL).

What I learned:

It was quite a sunny day when we arrive in front of this tall building of Bayan Telecommunications. Since it is our first company visit, the expectations were all heightening on every one of us. The sixty plus students carried by two buses of our batch piled up a queue in front of this establishment and was all eager to get inside. When the person in charge signaled our teacher that we are ready to get inside, our queue went up readily following this person. We are escorted going to their network management center. We were like ,”whoa! Amazing”. We weren’t amazed about the room, but instead of the feeling that we are at the same room were the bosses and staff of Bayan are having their meeting for the company. We were able to sit at the same chairs where the big minds of this known company ride through their conversations. I was one of those who were lucky enough to sit on one of their opulent chairs inside the said Network Management Center. We arrived there at 2:15 pm and were able to get off back our bus at 2:45. What? A thirty minute company visit? Did we ever learn something from that scant time that we were there? I would actually say yes. Bayantel was very confidential about how their company goes anyway. As to what I see, they just presented us pocket-sized information about their company. A man not less than 30 years of age was the one who led the presentation for us. He was I guess one of the network engineers in Bayantel and is very knowledgeable about the company’s network maintenance and operation. He introduced his company with a video presentation about how their company works and how they enriched the lives of many Filipinos throughout the country. He brought in the company’s services that we usually avail from them. These services are, LEC(local exchange carrier) service for landline, IGF (International Gateway Facility) for international calls, leased line service for both landline and international calls, public trunk radio service and public calling office service. We noticed that BayanTel primarily operates on the southern part of the country because as to what the speaker entails, the NTC or National Telecommunications Commission assigned license to BayanTel that they could only operate at the southern part. They have 72 workstations, 2 tv monitors, and several cabinets which composed of 640 substations per cabinet. The room where we are having the lecture which is the Network management center is where they do monitoring and solutions on their offered services from BayanTel. We all wowed in amazement when the man suddenly holds his remote and a window opens up at the back of us. The room at the other side of us is finely dark and thus the place where their actual work reposes. We have seen several computers and weird programming languages conversing with the network engineers. It is pretty cool that we actually see the place where BayanTel solves the problem for example when we have no dial tone at our own landline phones or when we have no signal on our mobile phones. He also tackles about their Base station controllers which manage all the stations of BayanTel here in the Philippines and also he speaks about their Mobile Switching Centers which promotes about their wireless products. Not only had he presented their telephone services but as well as their internet services. We know for an instance that BayanTel is not actually as big as compared to PLDT which is more popular for us. I just learned there that BayanTel also offers many services as much as PLDT do. Actually, the speaker mentioned a lot of terms mostly unfamiliar to us.

What I liked:

What I mostly liked about BayanTel is their friendly approach toward their visitors. We know that we spent a very little time there but our time spent in their company was actually worthwhile. I appreciate their modern way of approach as compared to what BayanTel was. The speaker was right, when we talk about BayanTel, the first thing that comes to our mind is about landline telephones .Right now, BayanTel has innovated into something that rides with the change in our generation. I like the way how this innovation of BayanTel took place because it actually is very user friendly and is more marketable since BayanTel’s competitors are also widely known to be innovative. While in the company visit, I appreciated how the speaker presents their company because it was such a masse. He speaks as if he were at our age. Though he typically mentions some technical terms which are very unfamiliar to us (he’s an engineer so they’re many terms which we hardly comprehend), he sees to a point that he will be able to explain it to us further so we may know what he is actually talking about.

What I didn’t like:

Our first company visit which is at Bayan telecommunications is really fun though it was really short. Because of their confidentiality, they weren’t able to explain to us further about how their networks work, how do they manage their servers, what are the programming languages used, how are those base controllers operate, and what are the latest trends that their company uses. It is noticeable that because of the very short time we had in their company, they wasn’t able to fill up our heightened expectations but we can also say that we understand their tightlipped approach because of course, they somewhat needs to protect their company as what is provisioned.

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) 67759_1463152661231_1305922095_31249347_5024313_n

Last edited by marybert lee on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://akosimariaberta.blogspot.com/
Edward S. Baylon

Edward S. Baylon

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 1:17 am

Day 1:

Company visited:

Social Security System

What I learned:
Today we took a visit at Social Security System Company in Quezon City if I’m haven’t mistaken. We got a not so long presentation about the company as like from the other companies. We learned about the benefits we will get on applying SSS and how to avail from it. After which we went inside their mini library and museum and took pictures. Then the staff took us inside one of their office and discussed about how they process their identification cards and their measures on getting SSS multi user. Then we went on the room where they made the identification card and how they place each card with unique codes like thumb marks.

What I liked:
The preparation, presentation and the accommodation they gave us was really pleasing and do not forget the snacks which I really love.

What I did not like:
None it was one of the company visits that I really like.

Company visited:

First Web Academy

What I learned:
That this academy is home of the best digital artists (it was their opinion). Generally speaking, the school was not that into assembly thing because it only focuses on 3D designing, animations, Adobe after Effects Tutorials and many more. But they had computer desktops that are into speed up connection. That enables them to work fast. On their offices they had also this temperature detector. It observes and detects if the room temperature is in high or low mode.
The school was really a good medium of people who wants to learn solely multimedia. Their concentration and focus on this expertise was a great foundation and a good ground to say that they are the best.

What I liked:
The ideas and ideals they have showed us. And don’t forget the bags, but I did not get one.

What I did not like:
Although the space provided was small, it is not something to be a big deal and make it a reason for negative perspective, considering also the fact that we are already late that time because of us not them. So there is none at all.
Back to top Go down
irwinrod

irwinrod

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 1:24 am

Day 1 | Social Security System

Social Security System was the first stop. Data base management system was a core for the topic. They explain about the evolution of their services digitally. They presented some of the best slides regarding their companies’ achievements and different innovations for better costumer services. The agency, presented ID system they had. But, we are much honored to witness the launching of the new ID system they created. They call it Unified Multi-Identification (UMID) Card. A new card system that was made from the upgraded production system of SSS. It is the only ID system that uses Biometrics Applications. In addition, SSS new card uses new technology which was called as Automated Fingerprint Information (AFI).
The Biometrics that was used by the SSS agency was connected to a thin layer of microchip that was a part of the ID layer. We also visited the Production Area of SSS where machines are run by different controllers. I have seen some of the best features of the machine such as automatic cutting machine, where it cuts the ID’s to its equal dimension. The SSS agency also has a sensor too that indicates if there will be an overflow during card making.
Back to top Go down
http://www.irwinrod.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)   DAY 1 (October 4, 2010) Empty

Back to top Go down

DAY 1 (October 4, 2010)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next