USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)

Go down 
+46
michaelobero
Jennifer Conta
jeanette vale
george_norman_patayon
Katrina Cecilia A. Elid
Phoebe Angelie H Gallardo
leinad09
rancisolanobero
irelene cosicol
Mary Claire P. Avila
Rudy_Comawas_Jr
Allan S. Cabusora
Allan Gregor Gepulla
Daisy Jane E. Jabican
James Isidro
Beverly L. Rabaja
Shirley "df" Reuyan
Cariza Joy A. Ensoy
Ralph Gideon Doron
kenneth
vinceilagan
Dianne Jean Dumdum
irwinrod
Edward S. Baylon
Marybert V. Lee
Benjamin_Abadilla_Jr
Ruchan Alangilan
Alaina_Simbal
Sherwin_Elioreg
nesscel_ann_calara
Frenzess-Joy H. Elman
Genne Zareth Fernandez
Ma. Monique H. Asuque
kevin.cris.ramos
Axel Ros E. Campaña
Zara Mae Ontal
michael_reggie_gloria
festejoteodoroIII
cherilyn lagare
jezrelle larubes
raffyprongo
Jonalyn Sanchez
maria edna hernandez
Mark Bryan B. Gonzales
arnulfotaghoyjr
eyesee
50 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eyesee

eyesee

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) Empty
PostSubject: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:08 am

Today, I went on a company visit to
What I learned?
What I liked ?
What I didn’t like?
Back to top Go down
arnulfotaghoyjr

arnulfotaghoyjr

PostSubject: Day 3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Day 3

Today, I went on a company visit to Advanced Science & Technology Institute located at C.P. Garcia, UP, Diliman, Quezon City. In this institute, they tackled more on their products and how their products work. They introduced a product that is like a mobile phone but has a advantage compared to a normal mobile phone. They also introduced the “Bayanihan Linux” which is a Filipino based desktop focused on Linux distribution. What is a Linux? Linux is a Unix-like operating system that was designed to provide personal computer users a free or very low-cost operating system comparable to traditional and usually more expensive UNIX systems. After the seminar, they introduced their merchandise and souvenirs to us and some of us bought from them. Some of us had they’re picture taking with the gorgeous speakers. After visiting the Advanced Science & Technology Institute, we had our lunch at Max’s Restaurant located at Roces, Quezon City. After our lunch, we headed to our next company visit.
The second company that we visit is the TTI or Telecommunication Training Institute located at Valenzuela City. TTI offers serious telecommunications teaching for Engineering professionals, new graduates, and apprentices alike that are aspiring to be a part and grow in the field of the ever-needed telecoms industry. They offer customized courses appropriate for a company and individual desires. On the discussion they’ve made they taught us different structures on their system, the structures were a bit complicated because of the wires, LEDs and other circuits placed in. What was being discussed in TTI was a bit similar on that of PLDT since they both concerned in telecommunication.
They explained to us how telephone works and how communication devices transmit waves to another device. They also explained the approximate capacity of each device where it can still receive the waves from another device. Usually, they use the fiber optic wires, where is so expensive not including the materials and the strippers of that kind of wire. After the seminar, we went to Tutuban Shopping Center where we had our shopping in the Divisoria. But sadly, I and my classmate separated from the group for us to go to Robinson’s Galleria with my old friend that is currently residing in Manila. My old friend tour us in Manila, and we ride a LRT in order for us to get to Robinson’s Galleria(not knowing that Robinson’s Galleria is very near to our hotel, a walk able distance though). After that trip, we headed back to the Hotel.

What I learned?
I’ve learned the meaning of Linux and the different devices that they’ve introduced to us. I also learned how radioactive waves travel from one another. And as we went to Robinson’s Galleria, I realized that life in Manila is not that easy because the place is so crowdy.

What I liked?
I very much like the trip I this day, because I’ve learned new great things especially in the seminar in Telecom Training Institute. I also like our trip in the LRT where we experienced the rush in riding the LRT.

What I didn’t like?
Actually in this day, there’s nothing that I don’t like. Well, maybe the tiredness of our body after we went back to the hotel.

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 68043_10
Back to top Go down
Mark Bryan B. Gonzales

Mark Bryan B. Gonzales

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:32 pm

DAY 3

Advance Science and Technology Institute C.P.garcia, UP diliman,Q.C.

Social Security System , East Ave. Q.C.

What I learned?

I have learned that this company is creating some gadgets like the and also the bayanihan operating system which is more interesting because it is a group of Filipino who create this OS and I have learned how to use the bayanihan operating system. The BL team was present in the event to promote the use of Bayanihan Linux, which utilizes free and open source software completely in its system. Information dissemination about Bayanihan Linux and other ASTI projects were done by giving away brochures and Bayanihan installers. The team members gave technical support to interested participants and BL merchandise were also sold during the event. Moreover, Mr. Bayani Benjamin Lara from ASTI discussed IPv6 in Open Source Software as part of the program.

For the SSS I have learned there system and also the way how we could apply the SSS and I have learned also that we need to become employee first before you can apply the SSS so you can be stable to pay there bills.

What I liked ?

I like the most the speaker of bayanihan OS because she was so lovely and intelligent and we found out the first girl speaker is from davao which is she graduated at UIC well I see to my self that someday I can be like them and I can work with them someday

What I didn’t like?

The things that I don’t like is we don’t have enough time to shop some souvenirs from UP because again lock of time and we got rattle for buying items there and which is I did no able find the t-shirt that I wanted for.

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 33778_10

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 33921_10

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 36085_10

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 66580_10

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 66580_11

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 66834_10
Back to top Go down
maria edna hernandez

maria edna hernandez

PostSubject: Subject: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)    DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:48 pm

DAY 3
Today I went to a company visit to
We went to two companies Advance Science & Technology Institute C.P. Garcia, UP, Diliman, QC and to Social Security System East Ave QC. While in ASTI we were still within the Up campus not much new for me because we were there a day before because of the seminar and the students there was so amazing that they was able to make a operating system that is made purely pinoy the Bayanihan Linux operating system that was once presented by the operating system students school year. The operating system was not that known for the common thing that is used is Windows. They still have the same functions and works just like the Windows OS has but the thought that the really made it by them amazed me. Mean while in the Social Security System or so called as SSS. They talked much about the security of their system and the benefits the person can get from their company.

What I learned?
I knew that their objectives on making this Operating System are to build national capacity and competence in free and open source software’s and to provide an alternative low cost but effective desktop solution for use by the office and schools. They wanted to study and modify the program and even run the program as well. Making it as their own, actually it is really their own is one thing that made me think “how did they do that?” maybe the fact of knowing what you want comes into this kind of situations. Well? Using this kind of operating system is that according to them it is cost effective and is a worldwide community support and collaborations. Knowing that it can be customized and is already distributed makes it as good news for us, because we can have it for our own use. It also have good security for your privacy and complies with known standards and prevents vendor lock in. it also encourages the growth of local software industry. The key features is that they have this new graphical installer integrated office productivity application web and the best thing is that “DI SIYA NGKAKAVIRUS”. How impossible? It may be possible, haven’t tried it yet.

There is an embedded technologies, this is a microprocessor device with a built in operating system. This embedded system is also used in parking lots to know if in that certain lot has a parked car or none.
Much talk, lets move to the Social Security System. They have this new style like the text alert for the client to know about the info about the benefits that you can get from subscribing to them. It also has an internet update and NCR machines. Loans and benefits computerization starts here. They made a duplicate server by the year 2003-2009. Internal web online inquiry system implementation to replace the decommissioned bois. There are almost 26-27,000 members as of this year. There are two servers that is working, the processing don’t go down maybe slow down because the other server will take over. They have two servers for them to have a back-up server if ever the main server shuts down at least they would still have the second server for them to work while fixing the main server.

During the plant tour we were held towards the room where in they make the identification cards. Every member has to be taken a picture and scan the thumb mark. There was also instances that in one person there are two accounts if ever you are traced to be doing so and was all planned you may be placed into investigation and be imprisoned. In every member you are to be entitled with a certain SSS number you should memorize that or rather keep it safe cause when you loose your ID you should be able to know your SSS number because you wont be honored to have a knew one just as easy as that it would take much process before you can have a new one. Another thing is that underneath the label for your ID picture and name there is a 2D encrypted code of your finger prints that identifies that you are that owner of that ID. When you are caught to be using other peoples ID or other peoples name you will be taken for some investigation to know who’s the real owner of the name.

What I liked?
The thing I liked the most about the developers of the Bayanihan OS is that it gives me an over view that even Filipinos can make an operating system known that is Filipino made. I also like the thought of the embedded technologies because it is very helpful for the users to use the technologies as well as to study about t knowing that is can be customized.
Mean while for the SSS, I so loved their warm accommodations and for answering our questions. I also liked their Id making machines because it won’t easily be ruined. All their machines lasted for as long as their company was standing. I also liked their museum, all the historic items inside. I almost forgot that I also like the system for knowing if the member is just a fraud or making way to gain twice as much benefit by making new names. Their system was to check all the details about the member from face to finger prints and historical background.
What I didn’t like?
I don’t like about the ASTI or about the Bayanihan OS is that I don’t think that it is that much reliable for now because my classmates had much questions yet they don’t have clear questions maybe because they haven’t tested it much as they should have tested and it was not that interesting or maybe I wasn’t able to get the point for what are the other purposes are those embedded technologies? How are we able to use it? Well I guess they should have at least a manual for all of the systems that is in their operating system. And the thing I don’t like about a SSS was if only we had not much elaborated about the benefits and everything I guess we would have much time to talk about the system itself and all about their functionalities and end everything earlier.
flower
Back to top Go down
Jonalyn Sanchez

Jonalyn Sanchez

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:29 pm

Day 3
Today, I went on a company visit to DOST-ASTI and SSS.

What I learned?

I have learned that DOST made embedded technologies device with built in system used to help most of the citizens concern. Going to SSS I have learned how they made their cards using the machines imported from Europe. Technological advances helped provide better and more accessible services. Advanced technology such as the Document Management System allowed paperless and faster computer-based processing of claims. The biometrics ID system, the first in Asia, helped prevent fraud, while the one-stop-shop Member's Assistance Center provided convenience where all transactions could be made in one place. For its pioneering use of advanced information technology systems, the SSS was honored by several organizations.
What I liked?
I like the embedded technology they made, the Effective Flood Control Operation and Warning System (EFCOS). It helps the community by enabling to foresee potential flooding and preventing of further damage cause by flood through water gauging system. In the other hand, I liked how the SSS welcomed and accommodate us. Not just because of the snacks they’ve given but by the time they spent even they have a really busy schedule. They showed us how they made the checking of every data an applicant has and I find it so cool.

What I didn’t like?
I actually want to see more on what DOST-ASTI has done. They didn’t show us much of their embedded technologies.

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) Day3-110

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) Day3-210

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) Day310
Back to top Go down
raffyprongo

raffyprongo

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:34 pm

Day3 (October 6, 2010)

Today I went to company visit to Advance Science and Technology Institute (ASTI)-DOST and on Social Security System (SSS).

ASTI-DOST

Advance Science and Technology Institute (ASTI-DOST) is also located in the U.P. ASTI offers affordable and customizable solutions, services, and products that suit the needs of its customers and its main goal is to provide community with R and D embedded system.

What I learned?

In ASTI, I learned so many gadgets that can help in our surroundings or in our society that does not need big money to have. Like the current projects they have for the environment program: Early warning System for Tsunami and Field Monitoring System.

What I liked?

I liked most the Bayanihan Linux Operating System which was being revised by their team which called Bayanihan Linux Team because it is free to download and there is so many applications package inside in the Bayanihan Linux O.S. I liked also the technology that they have made and released to the market like Digital Multimeter, Digital Wood Moisture Meter, GSM/GPRS Data Acquisition Terminal(G-DAT), PICME Microcontroller Starter Kit and the GSM Data Terminal.

What I don’t like?

I don’t like the design of their comfort room because it is unique in other comfort room.

Social Security System (SSS)

Social Security System (SSS) main office is located at the Quezon City, Manila. SSS provides a meaningful protection to the members and their families against contingencies resulting in the loss of income and financial burden and to contribute to the socio-economic development of the country through a viable social insurance program.

What I learned?

I learned that the SSS serve good services in order to provide accommodation to their members. I learned also that SSS is now upgrading its system to enable the issuance of their members by the used of the multi-purpose ID which will help them to reduce the fraud of the identities of each member.

What I like?

I found it interesting when they tour us in their room where the machines that’s make or create the ID is located as well as the system they showed which is the Biometrics System that store the data with regards to the personal information of each of their members.

What I don’t like?

I don’t the like one of the speaker in the simple forum we attended because of the way he answers the questions being asked from him is not that accurate to understand and I do not liked that.
Back to top Go down
jezrelle larubes

jezrelle larubes

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:55 pm

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)

Today, I went on a company visit to PLDT and Telecoms Training Institute.

PLDT
Mandaluyong City, Manila

On the 3rd day of our tour in Manila, I visited the largest, longest and biggest telecommunications company in the Philippines – the PLDT, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company located at Mandaluyong City. This was the only company of all the company visits that takes more or less four hours discussions.

What I learned?

I learned that PLDT is the largest telecommunications provider company in the Philippines, also the company’s history and products. I learned also the networking strategy that they done to reach people in the Philippines also other countries in a very strategic ways. I learned and saw different innovations of their products such as prepaid and postpaid services, Smartload distributorship and ResellerShip and many more that tare currently exist and using nowadays as well as some of the company’s clients.

What I liked?
I like it when a decade employee takes us a tour to their offices with great humor and hospitality. And also when they gave us a chance to take a view on their products and services; both machineries and software. Moreover, when they grant us the feeling of being one of the shareholders of the company when they shown us their big meeting room. That was very amaze of the real, true to my eyes seeing of a real meeting room.

What I don’t like?
I don’t feel interested when they take discussion about the networking that they have. It’s not because it feels boring but rather the speaker is not immensely aware on how long he’s been taking about the topic which I felt like very mind-numbing and uninterested.

TELECOMS TRAINING INSTITUTE
Valenzuela City

After PLDT, immediately we take a long travel to reach the second company visit on the 6th day of October – the Telecoms Training Institute at Valenzuela City.

What I learned?
I learned different things regarding telecommunications such as their much owned Digital Multiplexer Master Station that is use in transferring data from PCM to DMM one at a time, voice fixed bandwidth which is being applied in telephones and the common things like fiber optics and repeaters.

What I liked?
I like and amazed by those machines and real equipments they shown us which I think I don’t have the chance to see in actual. I was mesmerized by those big machineries and servers that the institute showed. That was the time that I, myself proved that technologies moves in a very frequent time. And that was the very first time I saw different machines that sizes that big which I seen only on pictures.

What I don’t like?
What I don’t like on the institute is the kind of the environment they have, it does not meet my expectations regarding in building facilities. As well as the irritating odor of their floor that takes in into my system.
Back to top Go down
cherilyn lagare

cherilyn lagare

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:39 pm

October 6, 2010 (DAY 3)

Today, I went on a company visit to PLDT Mandaluyong City. PLDT stands for Philippine Long Distance Telecommunication. They are glad to us visiting their company. They are hospitable though they are busy in obvious at that moment.

What I learned?
So many things I’ve learned while we are in PLDT. To start with, 3 principal groups are talk about, the fix line, wireless and data. The current president of PLDT is Napoleon Nazareno with the COB Manuel Veles Pangalinan. And the following information are the historical background of PLDT. 1928-1938 is the birth of PLDT. The age destruction last in 10 years 1939-1949. The age of change is around 1959-1968. PLDT is using Computer mouse in the year 1964 headed by Ramon Cojuangco. In the year 1969-1978 is the age of control, the staff stated that PLDT reduce their employee, they started to take control and focus in providing in services of consumers. The age of revolution is from 1979-1988 PLDT embraces a new promise of new technologies such as cellular phones and fax machines. 1989-1998 PLDT is entitled as gatekeeper. They are using Intel Pentium. At this time PLDT is in convergence. NGN or Next Generation Network is their next goal. Telecommunication is exchange of communication in distant sources. Simplex, half-duplex and full-duplex are the types of modern telecom. The elements of telecommunication link are sender, transmission medium and receiver. Under the sender or receiver, voice equipment and data equipment are the other variety. Did you know that telephone starts due to communication crisis? Another trivia is that the first commercial telephone in January 28, 1878 was exchange designed by George W. Coy. There are so many things the speaker shares into us.

What I liked?

I like the people who entertain us. They are hospitable and entertain us well. The speaker engaged us to finish our studies and pursue our journey. In spite of competitions of skills, we the IC students will make wise in using our knowledge and learning for future consumption.

What I didn’t like?
In connection to the company which is PLDT I haven’t remember what those things I didn’t like. There are just several discussions which we are not able to coop up due to higher technological term uses. But I guess sooner we will be able to be aware and acquainted those matters.

Today, I went also on a company visit to Telecoms Training Institute located in Valenzuela. We have been observed and noticed that the physical look of the institution is getting old. They have the radio laboratories which are not functioning but still it preserved and maintained its structure. We haven’t seen any trainee within the institution.

What I learned?
Two spoke persons impart and inculcate us the equipments, uses of those laboratories and give discussion to those machineries. SHF master station used to transmit information in distant places, clearing the signals and data to be transmitted. It has more than 50 km in capacity. UHF remote station has more than distance capacity around 600 km. in fact PLDT is using the UHF remote station because it is wired and connection oriented. They also introduce us the carrier wing laboratory with 19,000 sq meter land area. The PCM-30 master station is the other type of station they mentioned. It can convert voice signal to frequency signal. Did you know that there are four processes in PC equipment? These are sampling, quantizing, coding and multiplexing. We are familiar to different connection right? Still they talked about those things. Repeater is constructing below the ground with 1 to 3 kilometers in distance.

What I liked?

I appreciate their service in maintaining those equipments in spite of its old structure. I like the purpose of the institution, the knowledge they are partaking and the availability of employment they are taking part. The trainer is capable enough because of their higher experiences and expertise they had gain.

What I didn’t like?
Telecom seems like quite place to visit. When we had there, we are only the visitors expect to some speaker. I guess their operational training is temporary stop because of our presence.
Back to top Go down
festejoteodoroIII

festejoteodoroIII

PostSubject: tres!   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 12:44 am

Today, I went to a company visit to the Advance Science & Technology Institue (ASTI) and Social Security System (SSS).
At ASTI, programmers and developers were the ones who greeted us and I was amazed how youg they were. They presented to us their softwares and other projects that are released and still being improved. The first one was an operating system named Bayanihan. It is familiar for most of us because a group in the class, including myself, chose bayanihan to present to the class. So we are familaiar with some of its features, I was glad that I get to meet the developers of the filipino software. After the software presentation there was other developers one of them happen to have graduated from one of the universities here in davao. I liked those gadgets that they created, it was simple but very essential.
In the afternoon we went to SSS or Social Security System, a conference was conducted for us, their director was there as long as the head of the networks department. A video was played in front of us then the head of the network department showed us how they communicate from one office to another and how they save files and confidential data. After the conference we were toured around the whole area, from their libraries to their mini museum, even to the area where they verify each member and the area where they make those membership cards. They even explained to us every process and every part of the card/ID and machine.

What I have learned?
I have learned that filipino programmers have raised to a higher level, they have developed things that could help the society.
I have learned that those simple processes and functions that were taught to us can help create something huge and essential.
I have also learned about those cards or IDs that we usually see. How they serve as keys for members, how the computers saved and retrieve information from it, and those cards are being authenticated.
We were also shown a software that verify a persons finger prints, they use it to test whether a person is an elligal member or have doone elligal transactions.

What I liked?
I liked that I get to meet the developers of softwares that I are familiar to me. I also liked those gadgets that were developed to test the liquid content of a wood, it has a very simple concept but of a very important use. And that thingused to detect an up coming tsunami.
What I liked in the SSS is their accomodation, they really took us to their facilities. I liked those membership ID making machines, the part where we get to see the verifying of thumb mark of several people.I really liked how they treat us, I felt that they really love guests.

What I didn’t liked?

What I did not like in ASTI was how that guy answered most of the questions, maybe he was never but he should have atleast tried explaining.
While on Social Security System, I liked everything but they sort of over did the accomodation, some things are unnecessary to be introduced and explained to us.
Back to top Go down
michael_reggie_gloria

michael_reggie_gloria

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:41 am

Today, I went on a company visit to Advance Science and Technical Institute (ASTI) and SSS.
What I learned?
ASTI

ASTI have a lot of projects these are the ones presented to us.
They were the ones that developed the open source operating system Linux Bayanihan.
GSM Data Terminal.This product enables computers to send and receive text messages, just like an ordinary cellular phone. It uses any mobile phone SIM card, and there is no need for Internet connection.

SSS

They have 2 servers running. One act as their main server located within Manila and the other act as a backup server located outside Manila.

Also SSS offers assistance to almost all misfortunes a member experience. And they have a very strict and secured ID system that is why it was proposed that SSS ids should be universal.
They have an amazing system for capturing multiple registration from a single person.

What I liked?

ASTI

They were very kind when giving us information and presenting their projects.
They were very innovative. And they entertained our questions very well. They enlightened our ignorant minds.

SSS

First of all they gave us foods. Next is they have the warmest welcome in all of the companies we’ve been. Also they gave us a speaker who is very well educated in information technology. He managed to answer all of our questions and satisfied our hunger for information.

What I didn’t like?

Swlike in the 2nd day, I don’t find anything to unlike.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mae Ontal

Zara Mae Ontal

PostSubject: Day 3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:32 am

We went to Advance Science and Technology Institute located in C.P.Garcia, UP Diliman, Quezon City and next is to Social Security System located in East Ave. Quezon City. ASTI is also part of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST).

Advance Science and Technology Institute

What I learned?

I’ve learned a lot during our visit in ASTI, specially the video presentation about the operating system that they developed. Bayanihan Operating system is a Filipino made operating system; an open source software. I have seen how this operating system works since it was the OS sample we presented during our OS presentation last year.

What I liked?

I like the way they treated us, we felt so welcomed. And most of all I salute the developers of Bayanihan Operating System.

What I didn’t like?

Some of the questions were not answered satisfactorily.

Social Security System

What I learned?

I have learned the importance of Social Security System to the Filipinos. SSS gives employers more time to remove delinquent status. In technical aspects they already have on line service portal for their members.

What I liked?

I like their motto: “SSS: Kabalikat Sa Tuwid na Landas sa Pagbangon Ng Pilipinas”. I could say that this is the best company we visited. They are so accommodating, they are very much prepared and they even offer us food during the presentation.

What I didn’t like?
Nothing, I’m very much satisfied.

cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
http://zarzkieness.tumblr.com/
Axel Ros E. Campaña

Axel Ros E. Campaña

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Today I went on a company visit to:

Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI)
Telecommunications Training Institute (TTI)

What I learned? What I like? What I didn’t like?

Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI)

This day, we visited ASTI (Advanced Science and Technology Institute) somewhere near UP campus. From our second visit in UP, where we bought souvenirs in their cooperative and took pictures in the popular Oblation Statue of UP, we immediately went at ASTI. The talks started so late because they were still setting up things when we got there. I felt so bored at first because of it. But as they began their talk, actually, there had been two talks, my sleepiness had gone. It started with the ASTI projects like the Early Warning Systems for Tsunami, PREDICT (Philippine Real-Time Environmental Data Information Communications Technology), Field Monitoring Systems and the likes. These ASTI people make devices that they usually sell to the government agencies of the Philippines. They are also a government agency that's why they prioritize public departments which need their devices. They also sell their devices in the market, for private sectors and individuals.

After then, there came another group of people who discussed the Bayanihan Linux OS (Operating System). They were one of those people who developed and improved the said OS. Actually, this OS had been firstly released last October 2001, then followed by a lot of versions on the succeeding years: Version 1 – June 2002, Version 2 – February 2003, Version 3 – February 2004, Version 3.1 – September 2004, Version 4 – November 2006, until they came up with the latest version of the OS, the Bayanihan Linux 5 (Version 5).

For the two groups of presenters, a productive interaction had happened in their presentations. There had been throwing of questions from us. And they really answered us well and informatively expressed back responses.

Telecommunications Training Institute (TTI)

The lunch was over that time and we went to the Telecommunications Training Institute (TTI) in Valenzuela City. It was the one and only visit that we experienced sweating. Their rooms were not air-conditioned and the ambiance was like a Mental Hospital. I felt uncomfortable, as a result, I listened less with the talks. Because of the hot environment, I lost my interest about the topics. What I can only remember is that, they talk about telecommunications, they showed 'Jurassic' equipments, very expensive but tiny wires and the likes. The only room that we entered, which was air-conditioned, was the room where the LAN that uses fiber optic wires was discussed to us. They said, it was very fast and for me, I think was true because of the wire they used. Imagine, they used fiber optic wires which use light to transfer data, that's incredibly amazing. I think, playing games there using Lan could be so enjoyable and could be very fun.

After the visits, we went to Tutuban Center Mall, ate our dinner and went back to the hotel to rest. The day was productive and it ended well.
DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 68007_10DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) Dsc01910

Last edited by Axel Ros E. Campaña on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://sharebyactilot.blogspot.com
kevin.cris.ramos

kevin.cris.ramos

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:16 pm

Third Day-October 6, 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Advance Science and Technologies Institute (ASTI) DOST. This was located at the boundary of UP Diliman.

What I learned?
The ASTI have two groups these are the “Embedded Technologies” and “Bayanihan Linux”. The embedded introduce their projects and technologies that they made. Also they offer affordable and customable solutions, services and products that suits the needs of its customer. The technologies they have was GSM Data Terminal, PicMe Microcontroller Starter Kit, GSM/GPRS Data Acquisition Terminal, Digital Wood Mositure Meter (DWMM) and Digital Multi Meter. They also have ongoing projects. These are ICT for the Environment Program, Early Warning System for Tsunami, Solar Powered Version, AC Powered Version, PREDICT and Field Monitoring System.
The second group was the Bayanihan Linux. They have many achievements about their operating system called Bayanihan Linux. They have develop from version one to version five. The objective of their group was to provide alternative low-cost but effective desktop solution for use by the government. Their operating system was free and open source software (FOSS). The benefits of FOSS was cost effective , worldwide support and collaboration and customized and distributed.

What I liked?
ASTI fulfills us new technologies. In addition, they make me inspired to have my invention too.

What I didn’t like?
When we arrive in their company they don’t entertain us. They are not ready and other batch was waiting when we are inside.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Telecoms Training Institute located in Valenzuela. The buildings are old. The structure is also old in style. They have the radio laboratories which are not functioning but still it preserved and maintained its structure. We haven’t seen any trainee within the institution.

What I learned?
We learned technical terms during the time we visit Telecom. Two spoke persons impart and inculcate us the equipments, uses of those laboratories and give discussion to those machineries. SHF master station used to transmit information in distant places, clearing the signals and data to be transmitted. It has more than 50 km in capacity. UHF remote station has more than distance capacity around 600 km. In fact PLDT is using the UHF remote station because it is wired and connection oriented. They also introduce us the carrier wing laboratory with 19,000 sq meter land area. Still they talked about those things. Repeater is constructing below the ground with 1 to 3 kilometers in distance.

What I liked?
Since I am closely related to technologies because I studied short technical training last year, I appreciate their service in maintaining those equipments in spite of its old structure. We also enjoined the picture taking with the equipments and radio laboratory. I like the purpose of the institution, the knowledge they are partaking and the availability of employment they are taking part. The trainer is capable enough because of their higher experiences and expertise they had gain.

What I didn’t like?
I just noticed that the establishment doesn’t have people around except us. Telecom seems like quite place to visit. I guess their operational training is temporary stop because of our presence.
Back to top Go down
Ma. Monique H. Asuque

Ma. Monique H. Asuque

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:36 pm

Day 3

October 6, I woke up earlier than my other roommates, I am proud of it. Around 4:15, I took a bath and wore formal attire. High-heels again. After all the preparations, we went down for our breakfast at Bellore Restaurant at Examiner Street, Quezon City; it was just beside Grills and Sizzles

Today we went to the Advance Science and Technical Institute at UP Diliman, and at the Social Security System main office in East Avenue, Quezon City.

What I have learned?

I have learned that the BAYANIHAN operating system was created at ASTI. ASTI is where new researches being made; IT-related stuff and on microelectonics. I have learned that aside from doing researches, ASTI also provides services such as Digital Library System which is capable of handling digitized documents that can be easily uploaded and stored include conference proceedings, journals, theses, dissertations, and other publications, even audio and video files of trainings, seminars, and workshops, Digital Content System which is a free online library which directs users to exemplary resources for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) education and research, Virtual Classroom, classroom-like but over IP, Webhosting which allows individuals and organizations to host their own website and the .GOV.PH Domain Delegation. They have also shown us some of their implemented projects like the GSM Data Terminal, Wireless Telemetry and Remote Monitoring Platform, PICMe Microcontroller Starter Kit, Digital Wood Moisture Meter, Digital MultiMeter, and the Pasteurizer.

Next was the SSS visit. The SSS company visit was the best company visit we had. I mean, they have prepared a lot. They discussed a lot of things, about why should be a member and what the benefits of the members are and how they synchronize the data around different SSS branches in the Philippines. I learned the process on how they verify the identification of their members. They have showed to us how they accept applicants and how to verify such and especially how to make the SSS IDs. It was quite interesting. Too bad we went there after office hours; we were not able to see the machine on work. They have also shown their library and the museum that contains artifacts. It was the best out of all the companies we have been to, the ladies who guided us were very nice and friendly.

What I liked?

The people at ASTI were great, very friendly and accommodating. They answered all of our questions with a smile and showed us great willingness. I also loved the lunch at Kenny Rogers.

What I really liked today was the visit at SSS. It was really meaningful. I found it very interesting because I know someday I will have my own SSS ID and become a member of that government department. I also loved how ladies there talked to us, very warm and welcoming. I loved their museum, it was like I came back to the old times and I also saw some old stuff from the past. It was really amazing.

After company visit, the Tutuban Mall trip was also one of the best! I was able to buy stuff at a low price.

What I didn’t like?

The thing I disliked during this day was that we wasted an hour waiting for our turn at ASTI. We were the first ones to arrive there but I didn’t know why the other group was the one who entered the building first. So instead, we went to UP Coop where they sell UP stuff. And had a little photo shoot at the UP Oblation, but unfortunately, I fell asleep waiting so I wasn’t able to join the picture taking thing.

Another thing, I would love to buy more at Tutuban Mall but we only had few minutes to stroll around. So I guess the shortage of time was the greatest issue on our trip.

End of Day 3.
Back to top Go down
Genne Zareth Fernandez

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Subject: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)

The PLDT (Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company)

We wake up 5 o’clock in the morning and depart at 6 a.m. to the Innovation Laboratory and Telecommunication Education Center of PLDT.

What I learned?

The PLDT has three (3) groups: Landline (the PLDT Landline Plus), Wireless (Smart) and Data (PLDT MyDSL).The first The first American president of PLDT was Theodore Vail Halsey while Major J.E. Hamilton Stevenot, who represented the American firm General Telephone and Electronics Corp. (GTE), was elected executive vice president and general manager.
The PLDT (Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company) is compost of different company under one roof and one name. At first the PLDT use Analog or manual and they also called it the”Saksak,Bunot Equipment”.

In 1933 the “Manila-Baguio link”. Overseas radio-telephone service was also established between the Philippines and the US and other parts of the world in 1933.
The first network of PLDT employed the open-wire system that was difficult to maintain and vulnerable to rain, winds, dirt, and tampering. Horse-drawn service vehicles bulky wall-mounted telephones were employed in those times. PLDT then charged a sum of P7.50 a month.

In 1939-1948 is the “Age Destruction” for PLDT to prevent the occupying of Japanese Forces from the PLDT Network, US destroys the telephone facilities. The Telephone back then is a Rotary.

In 1959-1968 is the “Age of Hope”. P:They transforms itself into a Filipino controlled corporation in one with the entry of industrialist headed by Ramon Cuangco.In this time they used microwave system.
It was a symbol of national pride and a moment of triumph for Filipinos. Under Cojuangco's leadership, PLDT embarked on ambitious expansion campaigns that led to more Filipinos owning and benefiting from phones.

In 1969-1978 is the “Control” age. The PLDT focus its effort on further realizing its mandate to provide service to the countryside.

In 1979-1988 is the “Revolution” age. The PLDT embrace new technologies such as cell phones (cellular phones) and fax.

In 1989-1998 is the “Gatekeeper” age. PLDT invested heavily in technologies and services that would launch the Information Age in the Philippines. Highlighted by the success of its Zero Backlog program (PLDT Zero Backlog) that put into place over 1.5 million new phones into service. What is Zero Backlogs? It is …..

As I observe in this age since they spend heavily on technologies it means that there are also many people who get fired from their jobs in PLDT because their job is can be done now by technologies. In this age also they used fiber optic cables.

In 1999-present is the “Age of Convergence”. They called it the “Triple Play Service”.
The PLDT do also have INNO Lab where they can test or develop the product and as well as client testing.

These are some things that Mr. Edmundo Mamboyo discusses to us.

YESTERDAY
It means that the things they use in communicating with other people. Under this are the Basics of Telecoms and PSTN.

TOMMOROW (The Dawning Today). Under this is NGN or New generation Network.

Introduction to telecommunications.

According to Mr. Edmundo Mamboyo telecommunication is the process of transferring communications tele which means far and communications. In other words it is communication for distance sources.

Early Forms of Communications.
-Drums Fabricated
- Smoke

Elements of a Telecommunications Link
- Sender
-Transmission Medium
-Receiver

Types of Sender / Receiver
- voice Equipment / Telephone
- Data Equipment (Notebook, P.C.)

Types of transmission Media
-Wire
-Wireless

We also discussed the different types of wires that is used in communication such as twisted pair (electricity pulses), co-axial and fiber optics (Light Pulses).

What I liked?

I liked their INNO Lab where they conduct their product and client testing. Their INNO Lab has a main store that connects to the database center and to the house of the owner and it also has mini stall and warehouse that are connected to the database center and to the house of the owner. The INNO Lab shows what real scenario of a business using PLDT services in connecting each of the places. I was astonished by their conference room where they held their meeting and sales reporting. They do have a glass wall that serves as a projector. The lights were controlled by touch screen controller.

What I didn’t like?

There are some short discussions that I wasn’t able to listen because my feet was aching and I was so hungry that time.

Telecom Training Institute

After PLDT at the same day we take long ride to Telecom Training Institute buy we had lunch first inside the bus.

What I learned?

I have learned different things about telecommunication for instance the voice fixed bandwith which is being applied in telephones and things like the UHF master and remote station and SHF master and remote station. Also fiber optic wires are being discussed.

What I liked?
The only thing that catches my attention was the machines they showed to us because it is a first time for me to see those kinds of apparatuses.

What I didn’t like?

I do not like about this institution is their facilities and environment. The place is not the usual learning environment and I’m not sure if those equipments that they have showed to us are functioning well or just for display purposes. The place was not well ventilated. The comfort rooms are not well maintained and the buildings are so old.
Back to top Go down
Frenzess-Joy H. Elman

Frenzess-Joy H. Elman

PostSubject: Day 3 - F. J. Elman   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Day 3 – October 6, 2010

As usual, we really had to wake up early.

Today, I went on a company visit to…

Philippine Long Distance Telecommunication (PLDT)

So, the first company visit for today is at PLDT, at Mandaluyong City. The security there is very strict. Firstly, we had a briefing and distribution of name tags.

Inside the company, there are 3 divisions: Fix Line, Wireless and Data (DSL).

After the quick briefing, we had a tour inside their big building. They showed us there mini-museum where there are cabinets depicting the history of PLDT.

Some notes that I took from the discussion of their history are as follows: PLDT made Filipino centralized communication since 1959. It also manufactured solutions which included voice mail transform to e-mail messages. Other services include Report on Account and Person Tracker, whuch is very useful for reliable tracking.

After the short tour, we had a seminar. A senior networking specialist taught us about the Basics of Telecom, PSTN, PLDT Fixed Business, Data Communications, and the Internet. He also tackled about how the set-up of the next generation network would look like. He also discussed what are the type of transmission medium that they use in telecommunications, and how does wired and wireless communication work. He also emphasized the importance and the vital role of OSI Model in telecommunications. He said that it is the backbone of this field, and we must learn and master it as IT-inclined individuals.

He also encouraged us to take the CISCO Certification Program and Exam. It will help us to have more credit in our field.

What I learned?

I learned that programming is also vital in terms of communication, specifically telecommunications. It is not only the wires and machines that connect people, but also how the network is being programmed and designed.

What I liked?

I like the fact that even though handheld devices are rampant nowadays, PLDT still strive and continue to give quality telecommunications services to the people.

What I didn’t like?

I don’t have anything to say or comment about PLDT.

After the company visit, we had a quick lunch inside the bus. We met with the other buses to fix some minor problems and glitches because of error in scheduling and assigning.

Telecoms Training Institute (TTI)

It was a travel longer than usual towards TTI which is located at Valenzuela City.

When we came there, I felt like we had a short break from all the advanced stuffs, and back to the tools that were used from sometime in the past. The machines showed to us were big and bulky.

The first speaker talked about the weather-forecasting machine, where it gets information about the weather.

The second speaker talked about wirings and stuffs related to that.

They also toured us around places where there are big machines again. And the last one that they showed us was the old internet connection.

What I learned?

I learned that if we are to create new and advanced technology, we must also be able to understand the old concepts. It is because it is from these old concepts that we can extract new and fresh ideas for improvement of technology.

And even though those machines seem like outdated in a way, they still have high value and perform no less than a new one.

What I liked?

I liked the idea that they still continue to improve those kinds of machines. Even though they are not usually being used right now, they still perform a vital role in the advancement of technology.

What I didn’t like?

I just didn’t like the dusty and kind of dirty place.

After the company visit, we headed straight for Tutuban. But me and my other churchmates went off to an adventure towards the Iglesia Ni Cristo Central Temple to attend a worship service.

We had a delicious meal at Jollibee near the church, and quickly went to the hotel, because we made our bus tour guide and facilitators worry.
Back to top Go down
nesscel_ann_calara

nesscel_ann_calara

PostSubject: Day 3, Wednesday, October 6th 2010   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 9:05 pm

It was the third day and we were really starting to feel the lack of sleep, but definitely not the lack of food. Breakfast was at Bellore Restaurant. Afterwards went for a little picture taking by the Aquino’s Residence.

Today, I went on a company visit to…
Advance Science & Technology Institute

After waiting for an hour on the bus, karaoke and heading to the UP coop for some UP souvenirs, we finally went to visit ASTI. The visit at this company was short yet had been very informative.

What I learned,
If some of us had been paying attention to anything else other than the pretty lady named Von, we could actually see how the country is growing technologically. Most of us do not see this fact.
The Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI) recently participated in several international ICT conferences, research cooperation events, and meetings in Brussels, Belgium from September 27 to October 1, 2010. These comprised the ICT 2010 Conference and Exhibit, the SEACOOP Cooperation Forum on eInfrastructure, and the 4th Consortium Meeting of the SEALING Project.

What I liked about this company is seeing that these people have been working on projects that would actually help the Filipino people in particular like farmers or those who live in coastal areas, an example would be a device that would signal people when a tsunami is approaching, or a device that would send an SMS to farmers after it detects the soil lacks water. They also promote the Bayanihan Linux--kind of like our very own operating system.

Lunch was at Kenny Roger’s Roasters in Quezon City.

Social Security System

After lunch we got distributed into four buses again. And next stop was Social Security System. Things I learned about this company is that the SSS called on employers to update loan accounts of their employees to remove their delinquent status with the agency, a top official said. It also carried out major improvements in its salary loan program to collect from delinquent borrowers long-overdue payments, which has ballooned to P27.51 billion in the past few years, and is an SSS board member ends term, cites clean record outgoing labor sector representative to the governing board of the SSS has dispelled misconceptions that all members of the board accepted fat bonuses from private corporations where the institution owns substantial shareholdings. After the short seminar, we had a quick tour of the facilities. We saw the process and equipments used.

What I liked is how we were welcomed at this visit, and how they entertained our concerns.
Back to top Go down
Sherwin_Elioreg

Sherwin_Elioreg

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:01 pm

• DAY 3
We had our breakfast just beside the restaurant where we had our breakfast in day 2, the Bellore Restaurant. The food was really good that it gave me energy and strength to face the challenges for this day. Today, I went on a company visit to Advance Science and Technology Institute (ASTI) in UP Diliman and Social Security System (SSS). What I learned is that ASTI is also under the Department of Science and Technology. They are responsible for making the first Filipino made operating system named Bayanihan OS. Bayanihan started in 2004 and up to now they already made five versions of the OS. The latest version was the Bayanihan 5 which we used during our Operating Systems presentation. Bayanihan is an open-source OS that everyone can download and install it in their personal computers for free. Another topic that they discussed to us is about the embedded technology. ASTI also made gadgets that use the embedded technology. Examples for this are the:
• Digital Wood Moisture Meter – measures the moisture content of selected real hardwoods
• Digital Multimeter - The handheld digital multimeter (DMM) is the most common of all electrical and electronic test instruments. This portable test instrument is capable of handling various electrical measurement such as AC/DC voltage, current and resistance measurement and other added features that make this device a true "multi" meter. Digital MultiMeter, compared to analog meters, provides greater accuracy, wider measurement range, special features and outstanding compactness at a reasonable cost.
• PICMe Microcontroller Starter Kit - The PICMe Microcontroller Starter Kit is designed to give PIC-based developers and programmersan initial application material in their prototyping and laboratory needs.
• GSM/GPRS Data Acquisition Terminal - This product enables computers to send and receive text messages, just like an ordinary cellular phone. It uses any mobile phone SIM card, and there is no need for Internet connection.
What I liked about the company is that they gave us enough knowledge to know what they are doing for the betterment of our company. What I didn’t like is that they are not answering our questions very well. One of the speakers, if ask would just answer, “Just email it to us and your problem and then we will answer it”, a very poor answer from people who made it. It seems that he was not so familiar with what they made or I guess he was just not used to talking in front of many people. After our first company visit at ASTI, we then proceed to the UP souvenir shop, all of us were given the chance to buy souvenirs to serve as our remembrance that we had gone by the University of Philippines. Of course I won’t let it happen that I will not have a remembrance from UP, so I bought a t-shirt, an ID sling, a keychain, and a bar pin and over-all I spent Php500.00. After our shopping in their souvenir shop, we then had our lunch at Kenny Rogers, Quezon Avenue. After our lunch, we then continued our company visit, and this time we went to Social Security System or popularly known by many as SSS. What I learned about SSS is that the company is now on its 53 years of service and operation. I also learned about the timeline of the company. From 1983 to 1986, they started their outsourcing process, then from 1986 to 1992, they started using the Oracle RDBMS database. From 1992 to 1996, SSS went to full computerization, on 1997 to 2003, the begun web implementation and text SSS implementation and on 2003 to 2009, decommissioning of SSS revenues and their recovery system and at present, SSS is now using the SUN M9000 server, this is SUN’s highest-performance and largest-multiprocessor enterprise server delivering massive scalability, up to 64 processors and 256 cores to handle the largest workloads. It's designed for demanding virtualization, consolidation, and multi-hosting deployments that require mission-critical RAS features. SSS also added some features in their web implementation and text SSS implementation, the MYSS, SSS connect, SSS query and the Interactive Voice Response System (IVRS). SSS has 132 local branches and 14 foreign branches. After the short orientation we then had a tour on the SSS office. First we visited the SSS ID Card Production Center. As what I observe inside the ID center, making ID for the SSS members is not as easy as 1, 2 and 3. Lots of process will be done before the ID will be made. There is the inclusion of the biometrics and a lot more. After that, we went to the SSS Membership Assistance Center. This center is not that interesting because it is just where the members will have transactions regarding their membership or whatsoever. The last place that we visited was the SSS Museum and Library. The place was very nice, really nice. All the memorabilia’s from the year the SSS started up to now can be found in their museum. What I liked about SSS is their very nice accommodation and their generosity for us. Imagine they gave us snacks for free while other companies that we visited did not make that kind of thing. Too bad, some of my classmates were just sleeping during the orientation, shame of their part that the company did their best in accommodating us nicely and they just gave nothing in return to the company. *sigh* what I didn’t like about the company is that...uhm, I guess there is no reason for me not to like our visit in SSS. If I were to rate SSS, 9.5 for them, they just did an excellent job. After the two company visit for this day, we then had our side trip or pleasure trip to Tutuban Mall. This place is also where Divisoria is located. This place is also known for its low price sale. I bought a new pair shoes for me to have a remembrance from Manila. And after this loooonnnggg day, we then went back to the hotel for us to have a rest. And just when I thought that I can rest eventually, our professor called for another meeting again. Still the same routine for us to do, go room-to-room before we go to sleep to remind my classmates on what to do the next day and to wake-up early as always. But I’m glad that one of my fellow officer requested that we will no longer have meeting on our fourth night so that the officers can rest from their exhausting job. Our professor then acknowledged her request and sigh of relief from me.
Back to top Go down
Alaina_Simbal

Alaina_Simbal

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:05 am

Day 3
(October 6, 2010)

Today, I went to an institution located inside UP Diliman campus which was the Advance Science and Technology Institute (ASTI). They had presented us several projects that they had made. Most of their projects were more on the hardware works except for one, the Bayanihan Linux Operating System. Bayanihan Linux is not that new to me. I already had an experience of using this when we had our presentation in our subject Operating Systems. We were lucky to meet, greet, and ask several questions to the programmers, creators, and developers of the Bayanihan Linux.
After visiting the Advance Science and Technology Institute (ASTI), we went directly to the SSS or the Social Security System. They showed us a brief presentation as to how they protect and secure the files and information that they have. After the presentation and distribution of unexpected snacks, they divided us into groups for the tour. They also showed us the machines that they were using before and machines that they were currently using. Also, they showed us how they track and check dual or multiple or even false identities for the SSS “accounts”.

What have I learned?
SSS
I have learned that an SSS ID is not as simple as we see it. Aside from the unique ID number, it also has a 2D encrypted code of one’s fingerprint.
ASTI
I have learned that DOST-ASTI have been creating helpful embedded technologies devices. I have also learned that the Bayanihan Project aims to provide a better hardware support, operation simplicity, speed, efficiency, stability and Windows portability. They made it look like Windows OS so that the users will not have a hard time adjusting and understanding the nature of Bayanihan Linux.

What I like?
SSS
What I like about the tour at SSS was their warm welcome and everyone was very approachable. They even prepared a snack which we did not expect. And I like that they showed us how they check whether an SSS member has a multiple account and/or illegal accounts, and/or has false identities.

ASTI
What I like about visiting ASTI was we were able to meet and greet the developers and programmers of the Linux Bayanihan Operating System. They were very open for questions about the OS. They even approached personally our classmate Irwin because he had a question about the OS, and they wanted to help him solve the glitches or problems that he had encountered with using the Linux Bayanihan Operating System.

What I didn’t like?
ASTI
I was expecting that I would be able to see some of their embedded technologies.

Aside from that, I was in the same bus with the annoying group of male evening students.
Back to top Go down
Ruchan Alangilan

Ruchan Alangilan

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:06 am

Day 3
October 6, 2010, AM

Today, we went on a company visit to ASTI and SSS.

We had our buffet breakfast at Bellore Restaurant located at 57 Examiner St. West Triangle, Quezon City. Then after, we proceeded to ASTI or Advance Science and Technology Institute. ASTI was also located at UP Diliman Campus. What we are doing in ASTI? – in ASTI we had the chance to witness the works of ASTI personnel, they presented us their technologies and also the Bayanihan OS.
First, they presented to us the Bayanihan OS, a linux based operating system. We were familiar of the OS because back here in USEP, in our OS subject, we chose Bayanihan OS to present during our OS presentation. After a while, they presented to us their technologies, the tsunami warning system, this technology alerts/ give signal to the people if there’s a tsunami threat. The technology was very essential to people living near the coastal areas.
Our next company visit was the SSS wherein we were warmly welcomed. Just after we arrived in their building, we immediately lined up to get our name tags and after that, we proceeded to their hall in which they had prepared for us. Inside the hall, they were 3 representatives from the SSS sited in front of us along with our 2 facilitators, Ms. Maui and Maam Tammy. After the presentation, we went to their museum. We enjoyed watching many memorabilia’s from the past. We took pictures of the said memorabilia’s. After visiting the museum, we also went to their Card Production Center. Inside this room there were many machinery both working and non-working were displayed. Then after that we went to their Member Assistance Center.

What I Learned?

I learned many things in this 3rd day of the tour; I learned how the tsunami warning system works. I also learned that in SSS, there were many people who tried to fake their identities – and eventually get caught. I also learned the process on how to become a member of the SSS family.

What I liked?

I liked ASTI’s technology of alerting the people living near the coast lines before a tsunami strikes. This technology helps save a lot of precious lives.
I liked SSS’s museum and library, their warm welcome to us and also their machinery in creating cards.
I also liked SSS’s security measures in detecting fake identities.

What I didn’t like?

I had nothing to complain for.
Back to top Go down
http://chanluie2010.blogspot.com
Benjamin_Abadilla_Jr

Benjamin_Abadilla_Jr

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:41 am

Day 3

Today, I went on a company visit to Advance Science and Technology Institute at C.P. Garcia, UP, Diliman, Quezon city and then to Telecom Training Institute at Valenzuela city.

At Advance Science and Technology Institute or ASTI, we learned a lot from there products which really are state of the technology. First are there embedded solutions. They have solution for GSM data communication and wide known platforms. There technologies are very flexible and also, provides the option for the user for customization on both hardware and software component. One example of an embedded solution they explained to us is the GSM data terminal.

The GSM data terminal provides the computers the capability to send and receive text messages, just like are own personal cellular phone. It uses the same mobile phone SIM card. We were wondering what the difference between using this gadget than our own cellular phone and a lot questioned them. They said that GSM data terminal provides very easy texting an text blasting for the user because of its GUI in the computer and also, very customizable based on the needs of the client or the user.

After there embedded systems, another of their group discussed the Bayanihan operating system. We met 3 of the individuals who are part of the Bayanihan Linux 5 development team, russel, leizl and the beautiful bon. They discussed about the new Bayanihan 5. Aside the Bayanihan desktop, they also have Bayanihan for the government which includes government forms and others apps suitable for government works. The Bayanihan team really pointed out the value of open source and how it is righteous to get an open source software than cracking and pirating one which are not. After that, a lot of us learned from an open forum because a lot of us tried Bayanihan OS and asked a lot of technical questions to them. Then we went at telecom training institute after lunch.
At Telecom training institute, we really learned how communications work. From satellites to repeaters, to the landline posts, to cell phone and landlines, learning was too much. We learned about the new optic fibers. They even showed us how clipping optics fiber is done and how much it costs which is terrible expensive. The clipping tool uses diamond cutter which rates to a hundred thousand pesos and the fiber optic is made of glass in it’s core so holding it properly is important or you might break it. They also showed us some real big machines used in telecommunication, that produces really large mhz and heat. The place was hot so it wasn’t functioning or else it will die within 3 hours without air conditioning which by the way we learned that the expensive part when dealing with large servers and mainframe is not the energy consumption of the servers or the mainframes, but the air-conditioning it requires – that makes it really expensive. Not only that, they also showed us how new wireless internet connection works, like the smart bro wiMax. They showed us a mini setup and explained how it works and the reach it can do. Unlike the wifi which gives only 30meters radius to signal, the wiMax can do more. And lastly they showed us how fiber optics helps in lan setup and the bandwidth it can carry that really made a big leap on lan networks.

What I like about this day is that at Telecom Institute, they really put an effort in showing us teaching us about the technology in telecommunication. They have live setup and demonstrations which really made more understandable for us learners. Quite inappropriate, but the girl speaker at ASTI was beautiful and made us listen more and made us more attentive.

What I hate is that Telecom training Institute rooms were not air-condition and ventilation was terrible. It was hot and many of us was annoyed and flew away from listening to the speaker, though the speakers was really good. Also, at the Advance Science and Technology Institute, they failed to show us samples of the embedded system and only showed slide presentation, which would have been more educational if we would have seen there products.
Back to top Go down
Marybert V. Lee

Marybert V. Lee

PostSubject: FTS day3   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:53 am

Third Day

Today, I went on a company visit to: PLDT (Philippine Long Distance telephone Company)

Company Background:

• Philippine Long Distance telephone Company
Founded on November 28, 1928, Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company (PLDT) is the leading telecommunications provider in the Philippines. Through its three principal business groups - fixed line, wireless, and information and communication technology - PLDT offers the largest and most diversified range of telecommunications services across the Philippines’ most extensive fiber optic backbone and fixed line, cellular and satellite networks.
PLDT is listed on the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE:TEL) and its American Depositary Shares are listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE:PHI). PLDT has one of the largest market capitalizations among Philippine-listed companies.
PLDT will be the preferred full service provider of voice, video and data at the most attractive levels of price, service quality, content and coverage, thereby bringing maximum benefit to the Company's stakeholders.

What I learned:

When we arrived at PLDT, some were indeed dizzy and some were quite sleepy because of the long travel going to Mandaluyong. Gladly, those bad things were decapitated as we had our tour in PLDT. We really have learned a lot. The first thing we learned is about PLDT’s history. We first went on their mini memorabilia section where this company’s history was told by pictures and words .We learned that PLDT started in 1928 when this company was incorporated and given the franchise to establish and operate telephone services in the country. Under the American owners of PLDT, many small phone companies in the provinces were acquired by the Company to help speed up the rollout and connection of these different phone systems all over the country. From that day on, many innovations had taken place for the communication technology primarily brought about by PLDT. In 1987, the first cellular phone network was established by PLDT here in our country. Cellphones then was quite bulky and are only installed on cars. Many founding and innovations of PLDT’s services were introduced to us. The current president of PLDT is Napoleon Nazareno with the COB Manuel Veles Pangalinan. We also realized that PLDT has offered a lot of services such as landline, broadband internet, prepaid cards, voice solutions, value added services, broadband solutions, domestic network solutions, toll free services, long distance services and global network solutions.

What I liked:

The thing I liked most in PLDT is their warm welcome to us. They were all very friendly and accommodating. The officer who welcomed us (I forgot her name) was really very congenial. She made it to a point that we will really enjoy the whole tour in their company. She keeps on inviting us that if ever we graduated, we must work on their company or big companies because it is where pots of gold were settled. Not only she speaks about their company, she also teaches us many lessons in which we could probably apply in our everyday living. I also liked that little woman who toured us upstairs in their service center. She was indeed very inspiring and really very friendly and charming. She took us at their board room where their big bosses usually took their meetings. In was whole lot of fun. She also presented us a somewhat café type of room. We really thought it was a lounge or a café and there’s food offered because we saw a menu. That menu didn’t actually had foods written on it but instead, PLDT’s services. Inside of this café /lounge was a room which they refer to as the costumer’s house. She told us about the main benefits of their services using these rooms. After the fun tour, we were headed to a room for a somewhat talk from one of their network officers. The speaker was quite uncanny but he was funny though.

What I didn’t like:

Uhm, I guess the thing that I didn’t like is about the one who welcomes us. Though honestly she was very friendly, I think she was actually very busy because she keeps on answering calls from her cellular phone and her PLDT phone. We were actually stocked at the memorabilia and were able to wait for several minutes because maybe a client wants to talk to her. I would suggest next time that if ever they would give someone who would welcome a group, they must see to it that that person is free so he/she can concentrate on her task.

Third Day

Today, I went on a company visit to: SSS (Social Security System), East Ave. QC

Company Background:

• Social Security System (SSS)
An agency which is created to establish a social security protection to workers in the private sector, wage earners as well as self-employed persons. It is implemented in accordance with the Republic Act 1161, better known as Social Security Act of 1954.
It was former President Manuel A. Roxas who first proposed a bill in Congress, seeking the establishment of a social security system for wage earners and low-salaried employees. This he said on January 26, 1948, during his State of the Nation Address. On July 7, 1948, after the death of Pres. Roxas, Pres. Elpidio Quirino created a Social Security Commission, his first official act as president. This commission drafted the Social Security Act that was submitted to Congress. This draft was introduced by Rep. Floro Crisologo, Senators Cipriano Primicias and Manuel Briones to the House and was enacted as Republic Act 1161, or the Social Security Act 1954. However, its implementation was delayed by objections made by business and labor groups. It was only in 1957, that amendatory bills were presented in Congress creating the RA 1792, amending the original Social Security Act. On September 1, 1957, the Social Security Act of 1954 or the Social Security Law (SS Law) was finally implemented adopting the social insurance approach to social security, covering the employed segment of the labor force in the private sector.

There are two programs being administered by SSS, namely:
 The Social Security Program; and
 The Employees' Compensation (EC) Program, which started in 1975, providing double compensation to workers who had illness, death or accident during work-related activities. EC benefits are granted only to members with employers other than themselves.

What I like:

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 33694_1463844118517_1305922095_31251183_7784801_n

The tour with SSS was indeed a grand. We never expected a nice welcome from them. They gave us leaflets, booklets, pens and nametags (of course, with our names on it). Their accommodation was indeed a superb! I like their friendly employees who welcomed and guided us during our whole visit. The hall where we took our seminar was also nice. It made us very proud that the head for the network management is actually from Davao and he was very good on answering all the questions from the audience. He sees to it that every detail is explained so as for us to understand what we are asking.

What I didn’t like:

The thing I didn’t liked during our SSS visit is about their drilling introduction about the company. They weren’t able to stoop down at the student’s level. Everyone got bored and weren’t able to listen and comprehend what they want to convey.

What I learned:

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 40157_1463869159143_1305922095_31251287_7679728_n
DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 67576_1463874319272_1305922095_31251302_6192870_n

Through the company visit we had in SSS, I already have a clear vision on what SSS really stands in the society. It is perhaps a very vital organization in our country since mostly of our citizens are employees and need enough benefits and protection. Even those who’re self employed can also avail of their services. SSS’s role in the country is very important and I would definitely agree that this organization must be one of the prioritized. We learned a lot from the seminar we conducted in SSS. We conned mostly about what SSS is all about, what are the benefits they hold, how can we avail these services, income maintenance and basic security. Social insurance as a government-sponsored insurance program that is defined by statute, serves a defined population, and is funded through premiums or taxes paid by or on behalf of participants. Participation is either compulsory or the program is subsidized heavily enough that most eligible individuals choose to participate. Social protection refers to a set of benefits available (or not available) from the state, market, civil society and households, or through a combination of these agencies, to the individual/households to reduce multi-dimensional deprivation. All of those services offered by SSS would definitely help many Filipinos in the mere future. Not only have we learned about SSS’s services, we also learned about their networking. We knew that SSS has 2 working servers –one is in Metro Manila and the other is in Laguna. We were also lucky to be able to see how they produce their member’s IDs. They actually have an amazing system for it. We also visited the section of SSS which checks multiple identities and we were able to know how they check for it.

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 69802_1463901279946_1305922095_31251385_2396254_n
DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) 68425_1463954801284_1305922095_31251532_1551521_n

Last edited by marybert lee on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://akosimariaberta.blogspot.com/
Edward S. Baylon

Edward S. Baylon

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 1:22 am

Day 3:

Company visited:

DOST-ASTI

What I learned:

As we went on ASTI we learned a lot, like where and who are the person’s behind the Bayanihan OS, and lots of astonishing projects from different departments. We were rushing from room to room to manage time which is really sad though but never the less we got lots of information from them.

What I liked:

I really like their advance projects because it’s really a good contribution on the community.

What I did not liked:

Wasted time!

Company visited:

Department of Transportation and Communication

What I learned:

We went into TTI on a really hot noon; there we learned things on how they handle their heavy equipments and establishing their communication using their satellites.

What I liked:

My favorite part was when they discuss about one of their devices on an air conditioned room because it made lessen the heat we felt that day. When I was the one taking care of Eric I was also exempted in going up to the hell in the second floor in which all the others are mumbling about.

What I did not like:

It was really a hot day, and there were only few rooms with air coolers and some of their equipments were as old as theirs establishment.

Back to top Go down
irwinrod

irwinrod

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 1:28 am

Day 3 | DOST| AM
Embedded Systems are the core topic for this event. So as the new Operating System that was developed by Filipino Software Engineers. The inventors explained there part regarding to the invention they made. Afterwards, they showcase to us the inventions they made:
• Digital Tester
• Tsunami Alert Sensor
• Microchip for GPS connection

The ASTI – DOST company is skilled of doing a high-technology projects by using an embedded systems. Some of the projects that are show to us are the following:
• GSM DATA TERMINAL
• PICME MICROCONTROLLER STARTER KIT
• DIGITAL MULTIMETER

What I Liked:

“Linux Bayanihan”

What I didn’t Liked:

“time was also not on our side (delays)”

Day 3 | Department of Transportation and Communication-TTI | PM
DOTC-TTI is a training institute that is supported by the government to help Filipino student. The school offers courses for digital communication and programming courses too. TTI has a great facility for learning. It has a big laboratory that is composed of big telecommunication machine where student can freely simulate some of their projects in mind. TTI also teaches computer architectures such as RISC and CISC.

What I Liked:

“”

What I didn’t Liked:

“I think the machines that they are presenting were all obsolete...”

Back to top Go down
http://www.irwinrod.blogspot.com
Dianne Jean Dumdum

Dianne Jean Dumdum

PostSubject: Day 3-FTS   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:24 am

Day 3
Company Visit/s:
Philippines Long Distance Telecommunication and Telecom Training Institute
Today, I went to …
From a very heavy traffic, we arrived at a very heavy company, the Philippines Long Distance Telecommunication. Travelling to Mandaluyong was really not smooth since we were captive by a heavy flow of vehicles which includes our bus. But I can say that it was all worth it! I swear since I’d loved our stay in this company. Aside from the learning it brought me, it made me realize some sort of serious imagination that preferably talks more about the future. Also, just a sneak peek of our stay here it also made us feel that sooner or later when we strive hard and labor long, we could be that someone who will also be sitting on that same area where we imagine where we could be. I so liked it and I will never forget the feeling as well as the dream.

What I learned?
PLDT had already made Filipino communication centralized since 1959. Again they have different services offered such as banking solution which optimizes a network diagram. Well, as the very start of the orientation and of the tour, I can still connect it to our current subjects and it interests me so much. Aside from that they also make use of their manufacturing solutions so to transform voice mail to electronic mail. Their other fast track includes a report on account, and a reliable device used person tracker. During the discussion one of the students asks about their network monitoring and it is said that they have it in 24/7 basis.
As we go through the orientation we had a short lecture more specifically in Networking, the OSI model and this is in the person of Mr. Edmund Mambojo. He reminds me of one faculty in USeP. Aside from the lectures he introduced to us the innovation of PLDT through the years. First, it follows the basics of telecommunication until reaching the Data Communication and PLDT Fixed Business today. Although they had planned it in the future but, Mr. Mambojo instilled in us that they too had somehow become the next generation network.
What I liked?
I liked it most when we had a tour for some part of the building. They let us enter their wide board room and from behind we saw their core programmer I guess that is also from the maintenance team. I so like the feeling of sitting on a couch thinking that in the mere future I could be that real person on that certain position.
What I didn’t like?
Nothing.
Today, I went to..
After our four hour tour in PLDT we run the highway until reaching the city of Valenzuela for a company visit to Telecom Training Institute. They had a wide area and are capable of producing and maintaining the kind of products and services that they had. It is very obvious that maybe most of the workers there are boys since the area is not so “office”.

What I learned…
The company has a master station that offers for over seven hundred plus of users. They also have an Ultra High Frequency or UHF which can carry up to 30,000 km/s. Another one is Super High Frequency or SHF which can also carry up to 1,000,000 km/s. I also heard it right that when in use of multimode in can be utilized in a Local Area Network Connection while when in use of single mode it can be use in long distance. Other activities of the company includes Sampling, quartizing and coding.

What I liked…
What I like most in this company is that they never fall out of love with what they do. I can somehow feel they are enjoying things that they are doing. They never fall out of interest to what they do, (aside from the fact that they work and earning from this company), but also they are passionate and devoted to their work. As the instructor from the company gave us a short lecture, I can see it in him our electronics teacher. They are both aged but is still energetic and vibrant when it talks about wires, fiber optics and the like.

What I didn’t like…
It’s just like the vicinity is that conducive for us and honestly most of us did could not listen very well to the lecture.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)   DAY 3 (October 6, 2010) Empty

Back to top Go down

DAY 3 (October 6, 2010)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next