USEP-IC
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)

Go down 
+46
michaelobero
Jennifer Conta
jeanette vale
george_norman_patayon
Katrina Cecilia A. Elid
Phoebe Angelie H Gallardo
leinad09
rancisolanobero
irelene cosicol
Rudy_Comawas_Jr
Allan S. Cabusora
Allan Gregor Gepulla
Daisy Jane E. Jabican
James Isidro
Beverly L. Rabaja
Mary Claire P. Avila
Shirley "df" Reuyan
Cariza Joy A. Ensoy
Ralph Gideon Doron
kenneth
vinceilagan
Dianne Jean Dumdum
irwinrod
Edward S. Baylon
Marybert V. Lee
Benjamin_Abadilla_Jr
Ruchan Alangilan
Alaina_Simbal
Sherwin_Elioreg
nesscel_ann_calara
Frenzess-Joy H. Elman
Genne Zareth Fernandez
Ma. Monique H. Asuque
kevin.cris.ramos
Axel Ros E. Campaña
Zara Mae Ontal
michael_reggie_gloria
festejoteodoroIII
cherilyn lagare
raffyprongo
Jonalyn Sanchez
jezrelle larubes
maria edna hernandez
Mark Bryan B. Gonzales
arnulfotaghoyjr
eyesee
50 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
eyesee

eyesee

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) Empty
PostSubject: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyFri Oct 01, 2010 9:07 am

Today, I went on a company visit to
What I learned?
What I liked ?
What I didn’t like?
Back to top Go down
arnulfotaghoyjr

arnulfotaghoyjr

PostSubject: Day 2   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 7:22 pm

Day 2

Today, I went on a company visit to University of the Philippines for a UP-USEP
Information Technology Symposium held at UP Information Technology Training Center. One of their speakers named Rose Ann Sale, an MS Computer Science student in UP Diliman, discussed “Writing a Winning Thesis”. On her discussion she tackled about their spelling application called
KineSpell2 she discussed that she used a microcontroller for the remote control. For the remote control, she used a simple codes, assembler and installed it to the microcontroller so that it works. Though they used java as their preferred language on their application, they still used assembly language for some of its component. Aside from Ms. Rose Ann Sale, there were still other speakers on the said symposium. They are John Boaz Lee, he tackled about algorithms,
Prof Carlos Bott, a software engineer with an MBA, Dr. Ferdinand Pitagan, Michele Moscatel and Prof. Lemuel Brana. After we visit UP Diliman Information Technology Training Center, we visit two companies that use an assembly language it is the IBM Innovation Center and Seachange located at the UP-AYALA techno hub. They also use a sensor, and assembler that installed in a controller for detection purposes that apply on some of their facilities like doors. IBM is an outsourcing company that offers hardware, software matters. IBM or the International Business Machines (IBM) located at UP-Ayala Techno Hub. IBM produces and trades computer hardware and software, and proposes infrastructure services, hosting services, and consulting services in areas varying from mainframe computers to nanotechnology. They have their LAB SPACE for IT software developers. They also have a laboratory or let we say a space for their servers and controllers that are needed for connection. As we can observed, almost all console gaming schemes of the most modern generation use microprocessors created and produced by IBM. For instance, the Xbox 360 contains a PowerPC tri-core processor, which was designed and produced by IBM. Also, Sony's PlayStation 3 features the Cell BE microprocessor developed in cooperation by IBM, Toshiba, and Sony. Nintendo's seventh-generation console called Wii features a chip code named Broadway created also by IBM and the older Nintendo GameCube utilizes the Gekko processor, also designed by IBM. On IBM Innovation Center, the speaker told us that from the past years IBM produces microcontrollers and simply controllers. IBM Philippines also competes to the different IBM companies all throughout the world. Another company is the SeaChange, their products are more on video streaming and multimedia telecommunication. SeaChange International, Inc. is the worldwide leader in multi-screen video and one of the biggest software companies around the world. The company gives innovative, Emmy award-winning solutions and services for back office, promotion, content, in-home gadgets and transmit to hundreds of media companies internationally, including blue chips such as Comcast, Virgin Media, AT&T, Hutchison Whampoa, Vodacom and DISH Network. More of their clients are from different countries. They also use an assembler and controller for detection purposes.

What I learned?
I’ve learned that there are so many languages that we don’t know yet. As we visited UP-Diliman, I was awaken by the truth that my knowledge in computers are not that wide enough, I was inspired by seeing the fellow UPians presenting their thesis project to us. I also learned that in programming, the very most important part is the algorithm, without understanding the algorithm of a program, you will never solve each of the problems that you’re professor would given to you.

What I liked?
What I liked the most in this day is that I’ve seen various things that made me inspired in my course, the facilities of the UP Diliman has obviously gave the students out there a big advantage compared with other schools. I don’t know with other schools but for me, what’s good is that in every department, they must let their students excel on the field that they are good at because no matter how hard you tried, if you don’t have interest on what the field you are doing, you will never enjoy and excel with that. And in relation with UP Diliman, they segregated each of the students, there are different rooms in their department and students can choose which room can they excel with.

What I didn’t like?
What I don’t like is that in each of the speakers in UP Diliman, they were given a limited time that the information that is coming to us are also limited and it was kind of annoying. When we start to get interested with the topics that they were discussing, there gets the time that they will instantaneously end it and boredom strikes back to us.

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) 36177_10
DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) 67342_10

Basketball
Back to top Go down
Mark Bryan B. Gonzales

Mark Bryan B. Gonzales

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:23 pm

DAY 2

UP, Diliman, QC.

Ayala Techno Hub, Commonwealth, QC.

What I learned?

Well to UP Diliman I have learned there subjects and some professor and speaker share there knowledge about coding designing and most of all is we should really need to know and master the C++ language in programming because this the most difficult this could be the start of you to become the great programmer. I have learned so much the Maya application. Which is more interesting for me? Autodesk Maya is a software application used for 3D animation, 3D modeling, simulation, visual effects, rendering, match moving, and compositing. It is developed in Toronto by Autodesk's Media and Entertainment Division (formerly Alias). Maya is used in the film and TV industry, as well as for computer and video games, architectural visualization and design.

For the AYALA, Techno Hub, I was amazed from this building and the only thing that we learn is we visit one of the building there that they are creating cables which is automated sky cable already because you can control the movie that you are watching for and when the time we visit the IBM company I have learned that IBM is not selling the PC already. They already sold it from the Lenovo and they are already selling the new Idea which is the OS or any systems and also they are the one who can sponsor for on developer from their project they are the to help there financial needs and spot there talents from IT industry. Nestled on the former raw land across the University of the Philippines (UP) Diliman campus is the UP-Ayala Land Technohub, which is a mere 600 meters from the Quezon Memorial Circle landmark and is a stone’s throw away from the Iglesia ni Cristo main temple.

Property giant Ayala Land leased the land from UP and converted it into an Information Technology (IT) and Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) hub. Opened in late 2008, the major business locators include IBM and HSBC Electronic Data Processing, among others.

What I liked ?

I like the most is my learning’s from this day there achievements. And also there are students who are willing ti share there thesis they are not hesitated to share there ideas and what they have created. I liked also those speakers because I had been learn specially 3D animation which is we can create it from the MAYA application.

What I didn’t like?

I don’t energy to stay cool and listen some speakers during the conference because its my first time to fell like lock of sleep and most of my school mates having nap during the seminar because there are some boring speakers’ which is his topic is not that so interesting from us.

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) 37937_10

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) 44173_10

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) 66585_10

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) 68395_10
Back to top Go down
maria edna hernandez

maria edna hernandez

PostSubject: PostSubject: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:07 am   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 9:47 pm

DAY 2
Today I went to a company visit to
We went to the University of the Philippines and had a seminar about the following topics Writing A Winning Thesis, Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphs Personal Learning, Environments Animation, Mobile Device Game Development Empowering The Nation Thru Educational Technologies. They were so great about whatever their topic is all about. I really think that they so deserve their positions as part of the UP seminar. Their lot area was so big that I can’t even finish walking around it for one day. They also have this jeepney called the IKOT jeep. It tours around the lot area of the whole university. I never thought that the government spent good amount of money for those people who has good brains. They had just spent the money so worth it for those students. I can’t even believe that their “tambayan” laboratory is full of Apple computers and in their computer laboratories have air-conditioned room and Apple computers as well. Spending much money for this kind f university is at least worth it
What I learned?
I learned a lot from each and every topic that is presented in that auditorium. First the topic was about Writing a Winning Thesis by Rose Ann Sale, first she points out that there are 5 stages on making a winning thesis that is worth to be presented to a lot of people. First is the “think about it stage”, think about what interest you that is somehow related to what you want to achieve. Second is the “proposal stage”, proposing a certain topic is as hard as proposing for the one you love. You should be prepared of what you are about to present and know your target user about what does people usually want or maybe need. Focus on your target whether kids or adults and etc. and obtain your objectives. Third is the “burning your eyebrow stage”, doing it all day and all night just to attain the things you need for your thesis but still all work and no play makes you a doll person. You still need to unwind a little bit I between your works so that your brain could take some rest and breath. Having a thesis partner would be great as long as you have the same interest. Rose Ann and her partner used to play war craft when things heat up between them because they have a common interest on LAN games to ease the tension. The fourth is the “nerve wracking stage” it is the stage in which you are going to test the application, you should know what you want to test, tester profile and show the result of the test for her thesis she showed the usability of the controller. And last and not the least is the “I DID IT! stage”, this is the stage where you had finally made everything you can to finally make it to the end.

The second topic is the “Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution” by John Boaz Lee, for him sight is as fast as fast as a pocket calculator, the problem isn’t the availability of the data but on understanding the data. Wikipedia articles are like a biological system they evolve. Yes the data is there but rarely is it cooperative. It’s up to its researcher to reshape the data to give it structure.

The next topic is about with “Stream Graphs Personal Learning” by Michelle Moscadel I his discussion he popped a question asking, can a Personal Learning Environment be the need of Facebook and Twitter? Schooling and teaching has not evolved on the other hand, advancement in technology can give learning a new platform, creation and communication instead of consumption and completion. Network of co-learners, instead of classmate’s portfolio instead of grades.
The fourth is by Ledegrasya about “Environments Animation”. First thing came out of her mouth is that how to get o the industry? She said “forget about the grades. It is all about the creativity in your portfolio. It’s all about marketability. It is all about gearing yourself towards that dream job it’s all about to market yourself towards your employer”. It was so easy for her say that points because she was really great and yet then again I thought she may be right, how will you prove those high ranking grades if you yourself don’t even know anything at all about whatever they are talking about that is already within the range of your field. Yes, good grades are best but great performance is better. After visiting the University of the Philippines we went to the Ayala Techno hub and visited IBM and Sea change.

At Sea change they introduced this device that can pause play and rewind a certain movie that you are watching you can continue watching it on your iPhone or on your laptops they have this certain programs that saves the movie in just a certain amount of time in which the customer can view it. Sea change in my own understanding they are the middle man for cable companies and gadgets so that you can freely watch your shows
anywhere anytime. They have this hard disk drive inside the set up box where it will save on whatever you last paused it and it can be connected to your other devices. They are also another IT sector.
After we had visited Sea change, we went to IBM. They have this server that is connected to almost all over or anywhere. If a client server is down for example somewhere in Malaysia they just need to make a phone call and do not need o go to Malaysia to fix the problem. They have power 7servers and they are not just a hardware company but also a software company. We were somehow questioning ourselves why is it that there is no IBM computers and laptops now-a-days. They sold it already to Lenovo that makes them a sister company of IBM.
They may not be known to use but they are sure that they have better software’s compared to Microsoft, for Microsoft focus more on advertising their products and not improve them while IBM knows they have the products they jut don’t have much on the marketing side.

What I liked?
What I liked is the thought that a key to a good thesis is a good adviser. She also said it is not advisable to do things late so called the “cramming stage” but still it depends on where you are comfortable. It only shoes she is still open to whatever is possible as long as you do things the right way. Meet your deadline is the most common thing amongst them all specially the thesis and the Environments Animation. The line of Rose Ann: “Think about what you want, on what would you think you would enjoy, something you would like to explore and always BE UNIQUE, DON’T LET OTHER PEOPLE THINK FOR YOU”.
The problem isn’t the availability of the data but on understanding the data by John Boaz Lee. And this thought is true for we seldom complain because we weren’t able to see what we are looking for.
I also like when Ledegrasya said that don’t concentrate on one thing and you won’t learn much on books you need to explore more outside that box that you are in.

What I didn’t like?
I don’t like when we went to IBM the woman talked to fast I wasn’t able to take down notes much not like the other seminars and I don’t also like when we were at Sea change I don’t get what do they really want to point out. What is their company all about and I don’t like also is it was so tiring to keep on moving late at night still inside the Up campus and went to Trinoma and jut see the mall close. I don’t like the schedule of events for that day. It was so tiring much.
Super sleepy, while every student was talking about their project proposals

Back to top Go down
jezrelle larubes

jezrelle larubes

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:17 pm

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)

Today, I went on a company visit to University of the Philippines Diliman, UP Alumni Engineer Centennial Hall at Quezon City and Ayala Techno Hub at Commonwealth Quezon City.

UP
University of the Philippines Diliman Campus

On the 5th day of October 2010, I went at the one of the most prestigious, finest and famous universities of the Philippines – the UP Diliman Campus. It’s such a great honor to enter in that school and be one of the listeners of the UP-USEP Information Technology Symposium. Undeniably saying that here in UP Diliman I heard many subject matters relating to my course such as Writing a Winning Thesis by Rose Ann Sale, Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphs talked about by John Boaz Lee, The Personal Learning Environment with Michelle Lee Moscatel while Ms. Len de Gracia talks about Animation then Mobile Device Game Development by Professor Carlos Bott and the last topic is about Empowering the Nation through Educational Technology delivered by Dr. Ferdinand B. Pitagan. . Listening through the speakers will serve to me as an inspiration to continue and finish what I’ve started.

What I learned?
I learned that in every sleepless night there’s success at the end. It is proven and tested by the speakers who shared their experiences to us. I also learned stages shared to develop and create a winning peace of thesis such as thinking about the thesis stage, proposal stage, the burning of your eyebrow stage where all sleepless nights attached and the nerve wracking stage. In the world of visualization, my analysis immense when Mr. John Lee promote strong dedication to visualization, how does visualization activates the thinking of visualizing data and when he stated his remarkable words of “The problem isn’t the availability of data, it is understanding the data” which inspires me more to go on. And some the corresponding aspects that composes visualization such as

• Data mining
• Playing with the data
• Pattern detection
• Structured data
• Visual
• Processing
• Trend detection

Though I’m not really engaged to games but still I saw the importance of it and how mobile technologies done game does. While listening to Prof. Bott, I saw relations to my taken course. I learned that even when I don’t really relay on games but I should still be updated to new developments about it.

What I liked?
In the whole half day symposium held, there is one speaker who catches my attention, maybe not just me but obviously all of us listeners, that was Ms. Len de Gracia that talks about Animation. It was really sincerely interesting especially when the topic is all about animation. Her sense of humor makes the discussion works perfectly though she used some none of this earth words. Every phrase that comes from her mouth seemed to be exceptionally entertaining. More than ever when she brings the words of “Grades Doesn’t Matter” which all of the professor who listened are obviously reacted. But for me as a student, it really does. High grades are useless when your brain doesn’t gain anything. Subsequently, I myself agreed with what she said.

What I don’t like?
What is don’t like in the symposium is when some of the speakers talks in front very fast that made me hardly catch up the information and when the symposium starting to feel like boring.

UP-AYALA TECHNO HUB

The UP-Ayala Techno Hub, as it is called, is a 37.5-hectare development along Commonwealth Avenue in Quezon City, which upon completion, will house firms in the high-technology fields and high-value business process outsourcing (BPO) services, start-up companies, and incubate companies wherein flock of technology-based business dwells.

IBM Ayala Techno Hub, Quezon City
International Business Machines

Immediately after our lunch we proceed to the Manila Ayala Techno Hub where IBM and Sea Change Company reside. There, all of the products of each individual company showed us their unique company products and give us a tour in different rooms they have.

What I learned?
I learned and found out that IBM had stopped selling computers and other hardware. They had focused on software to give services to their clients. Now that I’ve been in IBM, I learned what their company serves for such as IT services, business consulting, outsourcing services, small and medium business services and other services like asset recovery and software services.

What I liked?
I was interestedly entertained when one of the IBM’s employees introduces their current server machine and also when they take us a tour to there company. And the very most I like is when they say that they do give opportunities for those who develop systems which they can do give financial supports.

What I don’t like?
The thing I don’t like is when they introduce their current server in a very techno-based terminology. It seems like I don’t understand how does it really works.

Sea Change
UP Ayala Techno Hub, Quezon City

The Sea Change Company provides services for instances of acquiring, storing, managing and streaming video content and applications for those companies that demand superior performance. The company endow with developing simple appliances such as TVs and DVDs. They seek to find innovations from single things.

What I learned?

I have learned that Sea change empowers broadband service providers to manage, deliver and monetize content to any screen. And different software applications they used and how they combine all this stuff to create a new and more improved product.

What I liked?
The excitement of mine exist when they take us a tour to their data center and see people there who are very cheerful and hospitable despite the fact that they are not in complete sleep. And most of all is when they gave us a chance to take a look to there products for us to be able to see their working products and their uplifting words that inspires me to continue even more.

What I don’t like?
I don’t like when the foreigner speaker spoke about the company, it feels like I’m sleepy listening to him. He seems not to be interacting with us.

UP ALUMNI ENGINEERS
CENTENNIAL HALL

Right after visiting the Ayala Techno Hub, directly we proceeded back to UP Alumni Engineers Centennial Hall which is located also at the UP Diliman Campus. In that hall, the entire thesis laboratory resides and each has respected advisers such as the research about high tide, language checker and analytic thinking of concerning games.

What I learned?

What I learned in thesis rooms is the different studies conducted and currently studying by the students of University of the Philippines. How do they done their works and make all things works in realization of reality. I learned that all of the thesis they have been working are all concerning in daily lives of people on earth and those helpful things that can make development to nation in different areas such as educational development, entertainment and internet-based thesis. And most of all is the encouragement of programs that the university has to develop the skills of the students through creating products of their imaginations.

What I liked?
While walking across each thesis laboratories, I like when I seen the updated facilities of the building – from computer monitors to system units. It was really amazing to see Apple Computers in the laboratories which all we knew as one of the most expensive computer brands in the world. And also the people who entertained us and gave as a chance to see what they were working to and even so demonstrate each of its thesis subjects.

What I don’t like?
In the UP Diliman Centennial Hall, there was nothing I don’t like. Everything is all almost perfectly facilitated and well-done.

Last edited by jezrelle larubes on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jonalyn Sanchez

Jonalyn Sanchez

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:25 pm

Day 2

Today, we first went to the University of the Philippines Diliman Campus to have our UP-USEP Information Technology Symposium in NISMED Auditorium. Then we went next to UP-AYALA Technohub and then visited the companies IBM Innovation Center and SeaChange.

At UP-USEP Information Technology Symposium:
What I learned?

I have learned a lot from their different speakers. Starting from the welcoming of the UP’s finest Professor Brana, his encouragement for us not to give up and aim higher have push us that things impossible to happen would be made possible through hard work and faith. With the positions and titles they are holding you cant imagine that somehow they were like us, dreaming and has full of ambitions but now they become pedestal of the one who has dreams.
The second speaker talks about Writing a Winning Thesis. For me I could not find it new because I have always heard from it while we are still in class. It sounds like our Technopreneurship instructor has given us already an overall view of what her topic was all about and it was being always tackled in our class yet the difference is that it is not for thesis but for a business proposal but still they sounded same. She stresses that finding what you really love will lead you to a winning thesis. The third speaker talks about Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphs and is pursuing the coolness of it. I have learned that it could make an information to be presented in a more realistic and understandable manner. Third from the speaker of Animation, Ms. De Garcia, she said that reaching that kind of success she has doesn’t need to have a good education background. Since she talks about art and all its stuff I never wondered why she has told us such thought.

What I liked?

I liked the idea of animation so much because I love art but art doesn’t love me, because I am simply not good in drawing. I liked how she encourage the non-drawers like me to start a little with anything that comes out in our head and just start to draw what our minds saw.

What I didn’t like?

It is not really like hating it but I just really couldn’t relate much on what the speaker is saying about the Game Development. He uses a very new technology for me. I am really not aware on what the guy is talking all about. And it kind of telling me the need of more exposure to all new technology arising since I enrolled in this field.

At UP-AYALA Technohub
What I learned?

In IBM, it acts as a training hub in the latest IBM technology for IBM customers, students, and individual professional developers. It is also used as a testing facility for new software applications of IBM partners. According to Contreras, these partners include academics given space to find answers to everyday IT questions, build cutting-edge skills, and explore the latest open-standards-based and open-source technologies. So anyone who aims to have free accommodations while making their business related to ICT bloom are free to visit and inquire this type of services they offered. After IBM we’ve gone to Sea-change. I have learned that they are the ones behind the products who enable dramatic new changes in the way video is delivered – from personalized, interactive video experiences to High-Definition television. Combining comprehensive software applications with open technologies, SeaChange products and services are acquiring, storing, managing and streaming video content and applications for those companies that demand superior performance.

What I liked?

I liked how the SeaChange made innovations out of a video streaming process, their video-on-demand thing. Their creative idea somehow gives me courage that we can make innovations out of simple things we usually seen or used, just like them they used the old way of how cable providers provide movies, news and all and made something out from it more efficient idea.

What I didn’t liked?

I think within that day I liked all the companies we have visited. I am enthralled by all the innovations they have showed on us and most they warmth welcomed us.

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) Day2-110

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) Day2-210

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) Day2-310

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) Day210
Back to top Go down
raffyprongo

raffyprongo

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Day2 (October 5, 2010)

Today I went to a company visit to University of the Philippines Diliman Q.C, Seachange, and International Business Machine Philippines (IBM), U.P Alumni Engineer Centennial Hall.

U.P Diliman

What I learned?

On the second day of our fieldtrip in the UPITTC Information Technology Symposium which was held in the University of the Philippines Diliman Q.C, I learned a lot from the topics being discussed from the speakers which stated below.

• Writing a Winning Thesis (Rose Ann Sale) - “If you write a thesis you got to find what you enjoy, love, appreciate, interest and unique. BE UNIQUE.”

Stages in Writing a Winning Thesis:
1. Thinking about it Stage
2. The Proposal Stage
3. Research Objective/Burning your eyebrow Stage
4. Nerve Wracking Stage
5. I “DID IT” Stage

• Visualization is cool (John Boaz Lee) – “If you have a good visualization you will also have a good visualization of data.”

Visualization is composed of:
• Data Mining
• Playing with the data
• Pattern detection
• Structured data
• Visual
• Processing
• Trend detection

• Personal Learning Environment (Michelle Moscatel)
• It is the advancements of technology
• It is the institutionalized personal LEARNING.
• UPITTC will help us build SOLID I.T CAREERS.

• Gaming Industry (Len de Garcia) - “Gear yourself towards that dream job.”
• It’s all about the quality of your portfolio.

• Mobile Application Game Development (Carlos Bott)

Discussed the Game Development Technique:
• Gaming Platforms
• Online Platforms
• Software Tools
• Flash
• Web-based Gaming

• Empowering the Nation through Educational Technology (Dr. Ferdinand B. Pitagan)
Educational Technology- study and ethical practice.
-learning and performance.
-creation, utilization and management.

What I liked?

From the topics being discussed to us during the symposium, there is one speaker that I was liked and she was the speaker of Gaming Industry Ms. Len De Garcia. I liked her because of the way she talks has a sense of humor and every words that she said is very inspiring for me especially when she said “Grades doesn’t matter”. And for me I agree of what she said.

What I don’t like?

As a part of the symposium, there is also one speaker that I don’t like he was Prof. Carlos Bott. The reason why I don’t like him because it seems for me that he is strict and the way he talks, I can’t hardly understand.

Seachange

After we had taken our lunch, our next company visit is at the U.P Ayala Techno Hub which was the IBM and Seachange located. And the first company visit we had taken is the Seachange and after was the IBM.
Seachange is the provider of VOD or video on demand, leading VOD hardware and software and empowers broadband service providers to manage, monetize and deliver video content to any screen. Seachange has over thousands customer across the 5 continents.

What I learned?

As I have visited Seachange, I learned a lot of things as how they enhance interactive video to a high-definition television, and the different software applications they used and how they combined them to create a new product.

What I liked?

I liked the job opportunities they offer like technical writer and software management, the way they communicate to their clients and to their visitors are great, and their environment and security also.

What I don’t like?

About their presentation, I don’t appreciate it because it’s all Audio and I could not understand it that’s why I fell sleepy during their Video-Audio presentation.

IBM (International Business Machine)

Right after the company visit from Seachange, next is the company that has multinational computer, technology and IT consulting corporation is the IBM which is also located in the U.P Ayala Techno Hub.

What I learned?

The IBM was one of the oldest companies in ASEAN. It was established on 1937 here in the Philippines. I learned also that IBM is not selling computers anymore in fact they focused on the software.

What I liked?

I enjoyed listening to the one of their employees about the services offered in the IBM and their environment was very sanitary especially in their comfort room.

What I don’t like?

As I observed in their company, I could only say that NOTHING. I liked the way of services they offered.

U.P Alumni Engineering Centennial Hall

What I learned?

During our tour in the U.P Alumni Engineering Centennial Hall, I learned that the students in the University of the Philippines develop each thesis that could help the society to enrich innovations.

What I liked?

I liked the different thesis that was made by the U.P IT students and I also liked their computers because their computers are all Apple Computers and I liked the way they treat us, they where all sociable.

What I don’t like?

I could only say that there is nothing I don’t like in their school, everything was great.

Back to top Go down
cherilyn lagare

cherilyn lagare

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:26 pm

October 5, 2010 (DAY 2)

Today, I went on a company visit to UP Diliman Quezon City 8:30 am. We had the program entitled “UP-USEP Information Technology Symposium 2010” at NISMED Auditorium, UP Diliman. This is the major site of our national trip. A lot of people shared their thoughts and skills to us. We are really amazed and regret to choose UP to visit. Prof. Lemuel Brana welcomed us in a way of opening remarks. The half day seminar really sounds good. The guest speakers inspired us.

What I learned?
From the first speaker Ms. Rose Ann Sale, she gives us an overview to write a winning thesis. Few minutes, she shared to us the five stages how to bring it on a thesis. The first is “The Thinking stage”. This is a phase for thinking and pondering the ideas. We have to list those ideas that come up in your mind. “The Proposal Stage” is the second stage, this juncture you have to choose which among the ideas is best and preeminent of all. Add in the list all the things that would motivate us. We should have to distinguish the target clients, goal and objective of the chosen one. The third stage is the “Burning your Eye Brow Stage”, this is the time of working and performing your thesis. Knowing your partner and group mates is also important. The adviser really helps in criticizing and evaluating our work. “The Nerve Wracking Stage” is the forth level. This is a stage for searching criteria. We might feel troubled and tense at this time. Finally “I did It Stage” is for the accomplishments we had. Two thumbs up for the success!

Mr. John Boaz Lee is the second speaker. He partake us the significance of visualization. It is a way we think. The ITTC has its goal in helping to build a solid IT career, in producing an elite group of IT engineers with high level required IT engineers. We salute Ms. Len de Gracia. She is engaged in gaming industry. She is definitely an interface designer and environment artist. Forget about grades! Ms. Len shares that grades is not important to get a job. It’s all about the quality of the portfolio. It’s all about marketability. It’s all about gearing self towards that dream job. Another speaker stood up on the stage is Prof. Carlos Bott. The mobile application game development was his topic. Software Tools as a middle ware consist of director and Shakewave 2, Platform, Languages and Game Applications. He emphasized that courage and determination driven one self.

What I liked?
I liked the place where we gathered together. The people we met and their words their shared. They really inspired us. Though the pressure is there, still the determinations of the students is to finish our studies sooner.

What I didn’t like?
The cold place really disturbed us and made us drowsy at that time. I hate that we never took pictures in the oblation replica. The other buses visit UP in the other day just for taking pictures.

Today, I went also on a company visit to Ayala Techno Hub located in the Commonwealth Quezon City. IBM is a competitive and well known company where we stopped and stay exclusively in Techno Hub. Another company we drop in on bounded in Techno hub is the SEACHANGE around 4:10 in the afternoon.

What I learned?
Mrs. Iris Chiu, in behalf of the IBM management is the pointed speaker. She is a smart type of person. She introduced first the historical background of the IBM.

The first IBM established in the year 1937. In fact they are celebrating the 73th year legacy in the Philippines and one of the oldest in ASEAN. IBM belongs in the top 10 taxpayers and once awarded by the BPO employer of the year. They are serving around 5000 clients which included the big time companies such as Smart Communication, SM Retail and Globe Telecommunication, BPI, Protector and Gamble. It has over 400 business partners nationwide and over 130 authorized service centers nationwide. They sold their laptops and computer division. And now the products they are producing and the offerings are the hardware, software and services. Software service comprises of Rational software, Websphere Software, Tivoli software and Lotus Software. Among all, Tivoli is the largest contribution. IBM has 76 authorized centers operating from 3 world class sites in the business centers of Manila and Cebu.
There is one thing to differentiate IBM from Microsoft. Microsoft is good in marketing while IBM have the product to push through.

SEACHANGE is operating in advertising, VOD, IPTV, content, broadcast and global. Over 600 customers across 5 continents, these include HBO, TELUS, NBC, ROGERS. The corporate is founded 1993. SEAC on NASDAQ since 1996 around $ 201.7 M in revenue, $37.6M in cash no debt with 1,200 employees primarily in R&D and service.

What I liked?
IBM is open to those IT personnel who is goal oriented, well organized and has a competitive skills to boom up. I admire the positive spirit of IBM inspite of those circumstances which may affect their venture; still they are standing and making their name in the industry. Mrs. Chiu mentioned the good heart of IBM. They are formulating the idea of making a system which may help the Filipinos in times of calamity.

SEACHANGE I guess is working on international and globally competitive in terms to providing their service. The person who faced us that time is a foreigner. Most of their employees are men. I think they need more man power.

What I didn’t like?
I wonder why, they are not able to mentioned the current clients they are working now. Also they are not able to talk about the income they are earning. The software services above mentioned are not familiar to us.

While the SEACHANGE personnel speaking in front on us, we are not able to understand further what he is talking about. We are not able to ask questions because we are definitely awkward. Their merchandise is unfamiliar to me.
Back to top Go down
festejoteodoroIII

festejoteodoroIII

PostSubject: DAY II   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyMon Oct 25, 2010 11:30 pm

Day 2
Today, I went to a company visit to IBM (International Business Machines Corporation) and Sea Change. But before visiting those company we had a seminar inside UP diliman.
There were several speakers who were invited for us and the seminar was exclusively organized for us. Some of the topics that were discussed was about writing a winning thesis, 3D animations, data modeling and many more. Most of the speakers can speak bisaya because they came from either davao, cebu, and other provinces in visayas and mindanao, I even felt that some of the speakers are nervous and I have seen their hands shake while they are speaking in front of us.
The whole morning was for the seminar and after we had our lunch we went to the Ayala Technohub and visited the IBM and Sea change.
For our group we went to the Sea change first, we were guided to their cafeteria and watched a promotional video of the company, after that we were oriented by the head of the company on what to do while we are inside and tourong around their facilities.We were introduced to some of their teams, and each team introduced theirselves and showed us the functions of their team and some of the products or projects that they are finishing. There were two teams that we met who focuses on developing machines for certain clients and three teams that do or whos main jobs are to provide services for these clients. We even get to see how those projects work.
After Sea Change we then went to IBM which is located just beside the previous company. We went straight inside their main lobby, then a guy introduced himself to us then he explained the machine displayed in the lobby, which I thought was jus t display. It was actually functioning, he explained everything about it, how it works, what it’s for, and how powerful it is. After a few minutes of discussion we then went inside and a speaker greeted us and introduced herself and the company (IBM). She, the speaker told us the success of IBM, and what their current goal as a company is.

What I have learned?
During the seminar, I have learned a lot. I learned that in every thing you do in every project that you are working on, learn to take breaks. If you can’t think of any good ideas why not let you mind rest and chill at the moment. And that if your adviser is strict and kept bugging you about your project think of it as a good thing, that without them you won’t be forced and be able to do what you need to. I also learned that to understand more the data it is better to model or illustrate them because it will make every changes or differences visible. When it comes to 3D animation, what she said that I have kept in my mind is that: animation is about mimicking human life. The most important thing that I learned is to never give up and continue, we can always take a break but we must not give up.
In our company visits at the afternoon I also learned a lot. I learned about new gadgets and how simple they are but really unique and would really stand out. That even a company has goals and good purposes for the community, something that could help the country that building a company is not just to create business and gain profit. I have learned that you could really give oppurtunity to many people like what was discussed on our Technopreneurship class.

What I liked?
In the morining, at the seminar, what I liked is that the topics are really interesting and really helpful to us. Moreover, the speakers and host are fun and jolly they never got us bored. The speakers really entertained all the questions and they really answered the questions.
What I liked about Sea Change and IBM is that they really toured us within their facilities except for the private areas. I like it that we get to know and see what their company really do, their purpose, and their achievements. That we had the chance to ask several stuffs about theyre company and those things that they have shown us.
Those people who spoke with us are fun to talk too.
And they gave us something to bring back home, I liked it a lot.

What I didn’t liked?
What I didn’t like during the seminar was that the organizers are in a hurry to proceed to the next speakers, but I understand that we were deleyed of schedule and we were running out of time at that moment.
In Sea change what I did not liked was it’s privacy. It’s too private in that company, we can’t even take pictures outside of the building.
IBM did not really allowed us to tour around their facilities, that was my only complain. We were so interested about the company’s facilities and see how they function, but we did not have the chance.

Rolling Eyes Cool Cool Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
michael_reggie_gloria

michael_reggie_gloria

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 1:35 am

Today, I went on a company visit to Seachange and IBM.

What I learned?

IBM

I learned that IBM now is selling 5 different types of software 2 of which is being developed internally and the rest are being outsourced. These softwares are:
  • • DB2 and Information Management: Information on demand
    • Lotus: Communication, collaboration, and productivity
    • Tivoli: IT service management
    • Rational: Business-driven development
    • WebSphere: Business process management

Also IBM have two servers running open for any advocates to use.

Seachange

I learned about their product software Video on demand or VOD. It is made up of two components which are the Axiom on demand and the Media cluster.
Axiom on demand is a content delivery platform that is used for faster video buffering.
Media cluster is their media server.

What I liked?

IBM

They gave me a genuine IBM bag.
They offer free server services without any charges.
They treated us very nicely.
They gave us a lot of information and was warm in welcoming us.

Seachange

They have a very nice crew that entertained us as we toured their facility. They were funny. They were less formal than the other companies we have visited. One of their workers was actually just wearing shorts while working. It was nice to see that there are actually companies that don’t give much care of what their employees are wearing.
They showed and presented a lot of their projects. They didn’t limit us to just one project but rather showed us almost everything from those being developed until those that are already released.

What I didn’t like?

I was actually contented with everything that there is nothing that I don’t like with both companies.
Back to top Go down
Zara Mae Ontal

Zara Mae Ontal

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 2:14 am

University of the Philippines
Diliman Campus

We went to the University of the Philippines to attend the UP-USEP Information Technology Symposium and it was held in UP-NSMED auditorium. University of the Philippines is one of the most prestigious universities in the country and it has an area of almost five hundred hectares that’s why they have a jeep called IKOT. You have to ride on their IKOT jeep if you want to go to the other departments. There were six speakers and all of them discussed interesting topics. They discussed about Writing a Winning Thesis, Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphs Personal Learning, Environments Animation, Mobile Device Game Development Empowering the Nation Thru Educational Technologies.

What I learned?

I have learned a lot from the speakers, and I admire them for being so good in their chosen fields. How I wish that I could also be like them someday. I’m so glad that I was able to get some ideas on how to make a winning thesis and how to deal with your thesis adviser.

What I liked?

While we’re on our way to the auditorium I can’t help but admire the UP Diliman campus, I love the place so damn much specially the buildings and their sunken garden.

What I didn’t like?

I’m perfectly satisfied during our visit and I would say that there is nothing to dislike.

UP/AyalaLand Techno Hub

After the seminar we went to UP/AyalaLand Techno Hub which is also located nearby the UP Diliman campus. UP/AyalaLand Techno Hub is a joint venture between AyalaLand Inc. and UP. Most of the multinational companies have their offices here, specially the BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) companies. We visited IBM (International Business Machines) and Sea Change.

International Business Machines (IBM)

What I learned?

I learned that IBM is one of the great competitors of Microsoft Corporation. The speaker said that they are now more focus in software development.

What I liked?

I liked the vision and mission of their company.
Vision Statement - Solutions for a small planet.
Mission Statement - At IBM, we strive to lead in the invention, development and manufacture of the industry's most advanced information technologies, including computer systems, software, storage systems and microelectronics.

We translate these advanced technologies into value for our customers through our professional solutions, services and consulting businesses worldwide.

What I didn’t like?
Nothing, I’m perfectly satisfied.

SeaChange International

What I learned?
Sea change was founded in 1993 and has a total of more than 1200 employees. SeaChange International, Inc. is the global leader in multi-screen video and one of the largest software companies worldwide. The Company provides innovative, Emmy award-winning solutions and services for back office, advertising, content, in-home devices and broadcast to hundreds of media companies globally, including blue chips such as Comcast, Virgin Media, AT&T, Hutchison Whampoa, Vodacom and DISH Network. Headquartered in Acton, Massachusetts, SeaChange has product development, support and sales offices around the world.

What I liked?
We felt so welcomed, they are so accommodating.

What I didn’t like?
Nothing, I’m perfectly satisfied.

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://zarzkieness.tumblr.com/
Axel Ros E. Campaña

Axel Ros E. Campaña

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 3:19 pm

Today I went on a company visit to:

NISMED Auditorium (Seminar)
Department of Computer Science
UP-AYALA Technohub
IBM
SeaChange

What I learned? What I like? What I didn’t like?

We departed from the hotel in the second day of the trip at six, thirty-five in the morning. We were going to the UP campus (University of the Philippines). This time, I belonged to bus number 2. But before we arrived at UP, we had our breakfast first in a restaurant somewhere in Examiner St., Quezon City.

University of the Philippines (NISMED Auditorium)

It was one minute after eight o'clock when we entered the UP campus. It was my first time, of course, to see UP Diliman and I was amazed on how big it was. The building were far from each other. And since it was a huge campus, there were jeepneys that can be used in travelling from one building to another. I think, UP is 2-3 times biiger than our school (USEP-University of Southeastern Philippines Obrero Campus). In there we went to an auditorium named NISMED (National Institute for Science and Mathematics Education Development) Auditorium where we had our National Seminar which is part of the requirements of the subject. We entered the said hall, and its quite big, a lot bigger than USEP Social Hall. It was very cold there which made me chill for how many hours. In there we had a lot of talks and there were also ice-breakers and prices for those who have questions to the speaker about the topic discussed. The emcee taught us a shout. This shout was also taught during the Y4IT (Youth 4 Info Tech) Seminar/conference last September 2010. The shout goes like this: Shout 'Y' and raise your two hands upward to form letter 'Y'. Then, shout '4' and show four fingers forward. Shout 'I' and again raise your 2 hands upward but this time forming a straight line from the fingertips to the tip of the toes. And 'T' and put your hands sidewards, and shout “ENERGY” while wiggling your hands and body. The seminar started with a welcome remarks from Professor Lemuel Rodolfo Braña of UP. Then, after how many minutes, the seminar-proper started with the speaker named Rose Ann Sale, a MS in Computer Science student in UP Diliman. He talked about writing a winning thesis. And it was in a right timing since there were rumours that we will be having a thesis project next semester. I wasn't sure if it is true because one of my professors said that we will have next semester but my other professor said that we won't have next semester, it will be on the first semester of our fourth year. But even if it's true or not, still, I gain some things from the talk. What I had heard was that the most difficult part of making a thesis is thinking a topic. That was just based on what I heard and the speaker said that the topic in our thesis should be our likes. And we should be interested on it for us to make it with less difficulties. It was written in the programme of the said seminar that every after a talk, a 25-minute talk, there will be a 5 minute open forum. And my 'co-trippers' throw some questions to the speaker. The next speaker was John Boaz Lee, a graduate student at the Department of Computer Science UP Diliman. The title of his topic was “Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphics”. But for me, his main topic was all about VISUALIZATION. The third speaker was a instructor in University of the Philippines. She's Michelle Moscatel, teaching engineering students programming and computer stuffs. She stressed in her talk the Personal Learning Environments. After the talk, we had our morning break and had our snack. There was also a talk about UPITTC and I forgot who delivered the talk. I think, it was a man, I'm not sure, and he talked about UPITTC (UP Information Technology Training Centre), its programs, its offered courses, and the likes. Animation, thereafter, was talked by Len de Gracia. She was an amazing woman who do 3D stuffs. She work on a company doing 3D animations and the likes. I like the way she deliver English words and I admire her for that. She shortly introduced her work and 3D animation like games and videos. Then for me, the most boring part of the seminar was about when Prof. Carlos Bott deliver his talk. It wasn't about the topic, Mobile Device Game Development. It was about how he discussed it. I had difficulties in understanding his English words. It made me felt sleepy again. The last talk of the seminar was delivered by Dr. Ferdinand B. Pitagan. It was about Empowering the Nation through Educational Technology.

The Seminar was ended and we went to UP-Ayala Technohub where we visited SeaChange and IBM Innovation Center.

SeaChange

The SeaChange, according to them, was the largest provider of 'Video On Demand' (VOD). The first part of the visit was the company's presentation of their background, products and the likes. Their customers were big international TV stations. ABS-CBN is also one of their customers. We had a quick pick in their facilities and rooms. Two of their employees showed a demo of what a VOD is. They showed their servers. The actual system, delivery network equipment and the set-up box, these were parts of VOD server components. The also toured us on the working teams of their business like the Broadcast Support Service team, they work on the hardware parts and the installation stuffs, Hospitality Service Network team, the Technical Support Service team and the likes.

IBM Innovation Center

From SeaChange, we went to IBM or the International Business Machines Campany. There, Miss Iris Chiu lead the quick talk. She introduced IBM to us. IBM was established in the Philippines in the year 1937. also stated in the talk that their manufacturing of PC (Personal Computer) was sold to LENOVO which is also their one of their business partner. IBM is a BPO (Business Process Outsourcing) Company. They had services like, Applications Services, Software Services, Facilities and Networking, Network and Site Integration, System Services and Maintenance, and Technical Services. Their website is IBM.com. Then, one of their persons toured us in their data center where servers were placed. It was enclosed in a small glass-room. They let schools and other small business owners to use their servers for their own purposes. What I like about them is that they really help students and business beginners.

UP Department of Computer Science

After the visits that we had in the Technohub, we went back to the UP campus to be toured in the Department of Computer Science Laboratories. We visited 6 laboratories, the Algorithms and Complexity Lab, Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence Lab, Scientific Computing Lab, Computer Security Lab, Networking and Distributed Systems Lab, Computer Security Lab, and Web Science Lab. Among all of those laboratories that we entered, the most which was really interested in was the Web Science Laboratory. Only this laboratory in where I felt that I'm one of those UP student. I really like things when it comes to web developing and I was so inspired with what UP students had presented to us. I was satisfied with the tour and it was really educational, for me, in general. From the Seminar, to the visit in Technohub and lastly with the Department of Computer Science Laboratories.
DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) 68003_10DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) 66563_10DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) 68928_13

Last edited by Axel Ros E. Campaña on Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://sharebyactilot.blogspot.com
kevin.cris.ramos

kevin.cris.ramos

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:13 pm

Second Day-October 5, 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
University of the Philippines but it is a school visit not company visit. The first thing we did in the UP Diliman is to have seminar. This seminar held at the NISMED Auditorium, UP Diliman. I so excited that time because one of the known school is UP and we are now reaching that school. They prepared as many five speakers. Not that simple speakers but the big one. All of those speaker consume the half day seminar we have and very fulfilling on my part as a information technology student.

What I learned?
We learned a lot from UP Diliman they introduce their six speakers. The speakers’ profile: Prof. Lemuel Rodolfo Braña, Ms. Rose Ann Sale, John Boaz Lee, Michelle Moscatel, Prof. Carlos Bott and last but not the list Dr. Ferdinand Pitagan. They teach us some techniques and they story their life experience in UP Diliman. From the speaker Ms. Rose Ann Sale, she gives us an overview to write a winning thesis. Few minutes, she shared to us the five stages how to bring it on a thesis. These are the “The Thinking stage”, “The Proposal Stage”, “Burning your Eye Brow Stage”, “The Nerve Wracking Stage” and finally the “I did It Stage”. We have to list those ideas that come up in your mind. In the second stage, this juncture you have to choose which among the ideas is best and preeminent of all. Add in the list all the things that would motivate us. The third stage this is the time of working and performing your thesis. You must to know your partner and group mates are also important. The adviser really helps in criticizing and evaluating our work. The forth level this is a stage for searching criteria. We might feel troubled and tense at this time. The last stage is for the accomplishments we had. Two thumbs up for the success!

After Ms. Sale the second speaker follow afterward his named Mr. John Boaz Lee. Mr. Lee shared us the significance of visualization. It is a way we think. The ITTC has its goal in helping to build a solid IT career, in producing an elite group of IT engineers with high level required IT engineers.
Ms. Len de Gracia was the next speaker. Ms. Gracia was under in the gaming industry. She is definitely an interface designer and environment artist. She always says “Forget about grades!” Because that grades is not important to get a job. It’s all about the quality of the portfolio. It’s all about marketability. It’s all about gearing self towards that dream job.
Next was Prof. Carlos Bott. The mobile application game development was his topic. Software Tools as a middle ware consist of director and Shakewave 2, Platform, Languages and Game Applications. He emphasized that courage and determination driven one self.

What I liked?
The raising up and encourage that they always remind us, finish our study first and apply those learning’s and knowledge sooner. That’s what thing that inspired me most! That every sacrifices, pressure and even failures we had in our studies, they are built and steps to create our characteristics for the better.

What I didn’t like?
During the seminar inside their Auditorium, the low temperature really disturbed our senses! We always go back in and out in the comfortable room. Inside from the cold place, less of water supply during the lunch break is our major problem. Can you imagine eating your lunch without any plain water? In fact juice is the substitution of water.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Business Machine IBM. It is located at Ayala Techno Hub in Commonwealth Quezon City. It is also the land property of UP.

What I learned?
The speaker introduces the history of IBM Company. This speaker was graduated in UP Diliman. Her name is Ms. Iris Chui. Now the IBM converted to software industry one of the reason why they shift into software industry because there are many companies have selling hardware. They main goal as of now is to develop some software like the Trivoli Software, Lotus Software and many software bounded to their company. IBM also has a room for new developer. Their data center was open to their new developer. They allow them to use their data center. Lenovo bought all the name of the hardware of IBM. Now they are partner in marketing. The IBM in software and Lenovo were in Hardware.

What I like?
They offer a free use of their data center to those who have no facilities to use to their program or software them developing. They want that the small company or small business boom the same as the IBM Company. I liked the positive in site of their company towards their small competitive.

What I didn’t like?
They don’t tour us in there building maybe they have something secrets. in addition we have a short time in the IBM.

SEACHANGE also located at UP Diliman Techno Hub at Ayala in Commonwealth Quezon City.

What I learned?
SEACHANGE is operating in advertising, VOD, IPTV, content, broadcast and global. Over 600 customers across 5 continents, these include HBO, TELUS, NBC, ROGERS. The corporate is founded 1993. SEAC on NASDAQ since 1996 around $ 201.7 M in revenue, $37.6M in cash no debt with 1,200 employees primarily in R&D and service.

What I like?
SEACHANGE started with two foreigner employee and now they establish and develop a large company then it is an international company. They have a short expanded time to have a large company like SEACHANGE. Two thumbs up to their company.

What I didn’t like?
For me I didn’t understand when they introduce and shared to us their history because the words are not that clear.
Back to top Go down
Ma. Monique H. Asuque

Ma. Monique H. Asuque

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:11 pm

Day 2

The 2nd day begins with a 5:00am wake up call and 6:00am assembly time. It was quite hard for me because I got used to wake up on 7am and now I am asked to wake up 4:30am. Gosh! But thank God I was able to. It is time for our breakfast. We went to Grills and Sizzles at Examiner Street, Quezon City near President Noynoy Aquino’s house. I really loved the food there, so much!

Today, we went to the University of the Philippines Diliman Campus, for the USEP-UP Information Technology Symposium; actually it was an extended version of the Youth 4 IT seminar last September that unfortunately we were not able to attend. Sea Change International and IBM Philippines at the UP Ayala Techno Hub at Commonwealth Avenue.

The program at UP started at around 9:00 am and ended at around 12 noon. The program went smoothly with the following topics presented: Writing a Winning Thesis by Miss Rose Anne Sale, Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphs by Mr. John Boaz Lee, Personal Learning Environments by Miss Michelle Lee Moscatel, Animation by Miss Len Degracia, Mobile Device Game Development by Professor Carlos Bott, and Empowering the Nation Thru Educational Technologies by Dr. Ferdinand Pitagan.

What I have learned?

I have learned a lot from those presentations at the symposium. Although it became a little boring in the middle part because there are things discussed that was out of my thinking capacity. And I really tried my best to understand everything that’s why I ended up with an empty mind. Although there were some things that stacked in my mind, failures don’t make an end in your career, it even makes you fight more to succeed. One speaker said that it is not necessary to be an IT graduate or a graduate of any IT-related course to make your own game and succeed, it only needs your determination and willingness to learn and make something out of your creativity. So if we fail, like what we are experiencing now, never ever lose hope, instead find out what made us fail and make something that will help us get rid of it and pass next time.

At Sea Change International, I have learned that they are one of the largest software companies worldwide. They were the ones who created the multi-screen video software is now being used in other countries. It provides innovative solutions and services for back office, advertising, content, in-home devices and broadcast to hundreds of media companies globally. They have shown us sample software where you could watch tv while other updates are flashing on your screen. And I mean updates from the internet. They said that the software that they are now currently making can do pause and play when you are watching your favorite shows live. It is like a computer where it has a storage device that saves up every show you are watching, it make me interested because I am fond of watching tv series. Aside from this product, they also provide different services like: on demand solutions like broadband, advanced advertising solutions like linear insertions and dynamic VOD ad insertion, broadcast television where it helps broadcasters operate more efficiently than ever before, personalized applications and other services like content or media, professional and educational.

The next company we visited was the IBM, the famous IBM. IBM or International Business Machines is one of the biggest IT company in the world. They used to do business with computers but now they are dealing with computer software and helping young technopreneurs to create something out of their skills and be successful in the IT world. That what amazes me, when you have something in mind, like software and you needed support for it be brought to life, you can simply go to IBM and ask for their support and voila, you could have your own IT company. Great, isn’t it? I have also learned that they have this advocacy called “Smarter Planet” that focuses on developing initiatives to address specific societal issues, such as the environment, community economic development, education, health, literacy, language and culture. They employ IBM's most valuable resources, their technology and talent, in order to create innovative programs in these areas to assist communities around the world.

What I liked?

I really like having seminars that talk about something that I can relate to. It easily catches my attention and whenever I see women that are very successful, it gives me a little kick and makes have the determination and perseverance to go on and do best as I take this path now.

I also liked the people in Sea Change, they were really nice; they even encouraged us to work there because there is an unlimited supply of drinks. Haha. But honestly, I felt comfortable when we were there. They were very accommodating and friendly. I really love the ambiance inside their offices, it was like I was in another country.

At UP Research groups and labs, I loved their computers! I really liked how UP molds their students to become one of the bests.

We were also able to pass by Pinoy Big Brother house and took some pictures. After it, we had a great dinner at Tramway Restaurant in Timog Avenue.

What I didn’t like?

The things that I did not like on that day were that we were not able to follow our schedule, we ended the presentations almost 12 noon and when we were about to eat our lunch still at UP campus, the seats and tables were not enough to cater all of us, we were like eating in an eatery near USEP, I really hated it and I ended up seating with other people that I don’t know.

We ended way beyond our schedule and we still have to go to Trinoma to do some side-tripping and a little shopping. Unfortunately, it was almost closing time when we arrive there so we were in extreme speed when we got inside. We just bought a jag of mineral water for us to drink when we are in the hotel and then we went out. The door where we went in was already closed we have to look for another way, we saw Sir Jappeht, so we decided to follow him, thinking that he knows where he was going. The funny thing was, he didn’t know where he was going. So were like, oh my, where are we? Good thing there were guards around the mall and we asked where the parking lot for buses is located, and fortunately, we were able to go back to the buses. It was a great experience though. Hehe.

End of Day 2.
Back to top Go down
Genne Zareth Fernandez

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:48 pm

Subject: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)

Diliman Campus

On the second day of our field trip we went to U.P. Diliman Campus for the UP-USEP Information Technology Symposium. There are quite a few speakers who tackled about different topics which includes Writing a Thesis by Rose Ann Sale, Visualization (Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphs) by John Boaz Lee, Learning Environment by Michelle Lee Moscatel followed by a couple of minute break and words of knowledge about Empowering the Nation through Educational Technology by Dr. Ferdinand B. Pitagan, after that was all animation that was discuss by Ms. Len de Gracia, she shows to us some of her works. Then the last topic was about the Mobile Application Game Development and it was imparted to us by Professor Carlos Bott.

What I learned?

I have learned a lot. In visualization I have learned that the problem is in understanding the data not the availability of it and the finest dimension in arranging data is by using the two-dimensional image with different colors that serves as the data. I also learned a lot about the gaming industry that in developing games it is not only pure codes but there is also designing and animation. As a game developer you must create a team where an animator, a designer and a programmer are in. I also learned that you will really excel in the field that you’ve chosen if you love what you are doing and you are best at it just like Ms.Len from a programmer into a pro-gamer specialist, designing weapons and menus of the game. She stands out in her field because she loves what she is doing. I have learned what makes a good thesis. Make your thesis interesting and you must also like your topic.

What I liked?

There was this topic that kicked out my sleepiness and this was visualization. I find this topic interesting, to picture out the things around us and I think it is easy to understand things such as data if you visualize it. I also enjoy the Youth for IT jingle with matching dance steps even our teachers danced.

What I didn’t like?

I don’t like the part when Mr. Bott starts talking about his topic, honestly saying lot of us get bored including me. His way of delivering the subject matter does not attract us to listen instead it was like a bunch of sleeping pills that was poured on us. It turned out to be like that simply because we could not catch up with what he is saying; most of us can hardly understand what he is talking about.
After that we have our lunch and went to UP Techno Hub.

IBM
The first company that we visited in the UP techno hub is the leading information technology partner in the country the IMB or the (International Business Machines) Corporation.

What I learned?

The IBM Philippines was established in 1937- a 73 years legacy in the Philippines and one of the oldest in ASEAN. They have over 400 business partners nationwide and over 130 authorized service center nationwide. I found out that at present IBM had stopped selling personal computers and laptop. IBM sells their laptops to Lenovo. They focused on software and services. These are some of their software: Tivoli, Lotus, DB2 and Rational. They give free use of their data center, they also financially support projects. IBM has different services which includes IT services, business consulting, outsourcing services, small and medium business service and other services like asset recovery and software services.

What I liked?

I enjoyed the discussion and the tour inside the IBM building. One of their employees introduce to us the opportunities they can offering to people who needs their assistance by using their data center for free, they can also arrange the things that you in the data center and supports financially to those who cannot support their project in terms of money.

What I didn’t like?

The room that we used to discuss about the company was too small for all of us to fit in and also the hall way when they toured us around the data center. I did not
expect that the place is not what I have imagined.

SeaChange Philippines Inc.

The second company that we had visited in UP Techno Hub is SeaChange Philippines Inc. SeaChange became a world leader in deploying the infrastructure necessary to deliver Video on Demand (VOD). SeaChange now dominates the VOD industry with the vast majority of the global market share.

What I learned?

SeaChange does new ways in delivering from personalized, interactive video experiences to High-Definition television. They combined wide-ranging software applications with open technology to produce services such as video streaming, live video coverage and many more. They are developing new product where you can view pictures from a web browser and check the weather. There is also this other product where you can order movies and videos on television.

What I liked?

What took my attention is that they are planning to develop a new way of watching t.v. Just by using your remote you can pause a live coverage on t.v. and watch it later.

What I didn’t like?

When they introduced to us this particular product in the hallway; some of us sitting on the floor and the other are standing and I can’t focused my attention in what their employee was talking about. The speaker that introduced us about the SeaChange Company talks so fast and I couldn’t comprehend him very well.

UP ENGINEERS CENTENNIAL HALL
After the tour in the UP techno hub we went back to UP and some of their faculty member tour us around the building.

What I learned?

I learned that that each of them belong to a group or club according to their area of expertise. And this club could help them in making their thesis possible. They have many rooms and enough facilities that could aid their projects or thesis.

What I liked?

They have new and enough facilities for the students.

What I didn’t like?

Some of could not see clearly the some projects or thesis that they had introduced to us because of the rooms could not fit all of us.
Back to top Go down
Frenzess-Joy H. Elman

Frenzess-Joy H. Elman

PostSubject: Day 2 - F. J. Elman   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Day 2 – October 5, 2010

The wake-up call for this day was 5am, and the call-up time was 6am. We had to wake up early and move fast from this day on, because we’re all ladies.

We decided beforehand that we will wear the IC Festival Shirt for today.

As we head outside the hotel, the buses were already there. Wow. So punctual.

Our facilitators were disappointed to us because we were very late, and we had to keep up with the schedule. We had to take our breakfast fast so that we can still cope with the schedule.

Our breakfast is served at Bellore Restaurant Examiner, at Quezon City. The food was superb! I love it. But we had to finish our breakfast early than usual, that’s why we haven’t eaten that much, even though it was a buffet.

Today, I went on a company visit to…

University of the Philippines Diliman Campus (UP Diliman Campus)

For this day, the first company stop is at University of the Philippines Diliman Campus located at the heart of Quezon City.

Truthfully, I was really nervous and anxious because of course, we are about to meet the most intellectual people, so to speak.

Their campus was really big, and their buildings are like 1 kilometer apart from each other. You really had to take a jeepney or a vehicle to go to places inside the campus.

The seminar was to be held at their NISMED Auditorium (UP ITTC). The seminar is entitled USEP-UP IT Symposium 2010. The ambience was really Y4IT-like, I guess.

Not long enough, the seminar started after getting the ID and freebies outside the hall.

The welcome remarks was made by Prof. Lemuel Braña. He also oriented what ITTC is all about. It is some kind of training center for IT and CS-inclined people. They encourage those people to pursue a more extensive and higher level form of the field that they’re in.

The first speaker was Rose Ann Sale. She talked about “Writing a Winning Thesis”. She emphasized the phrase “Bright Ideas Made Brilliant”, and expounded more about the topic. Some of the points that she talked about the topic was the steps on how to make a winning thesis. First was the “The Thinking About It Stage”. She said that in writing a good thesis, we must think of a really good topic to begin with. And the topic must also be what we like the most. In choosing a topic, we must write everything that comes into mind, which means we must be inclusive. In the proposal stage, we must be specific from this time on. In order to do this, we must identify what motivates us. By narrowing down those things, we can now have a research objective. In the “Burning Your Eyebrow” stage, this is where the real thing starts. All the writings and research are done in this stage. We must concentrate in the projects’ development.

She also said that even though it is vital that we have to focus on the project, we must take a break once in a while. This will relieve stress and weariness. We must do motivating activities like playing computer games and other stuffs.

What was really amazing is the thesis that she and her teammates made. It’s a study about using a Wii Remote in playing the Kine2Spell, a program they made as a game for kids. It’s a game that is fun and at the same time very educational.

The second speaker was unexpectedly a very promising advocate of the present day advancement of IT evolution. He’s name is John Boaz Lee, a fresh graduate of UP Dil and is now an instructor. He talked about Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphs. He emphasizes the importance of “Visualizing” things and concepts. Indeed, I was really amazed at how he conceptualizes things through visualization. It really has a big impact if we look things that way.

And at that point in time the seminar begins to get more and more interesting. I began to feel that that seminar was an extension of Y4IT.

The third speaker, Michelle Lee Moscatel, also shared about the design and implementation of a cloud based personal learning environment.

Miss Len Degracia also talked about Animation. Truly, it was fascinating. Although her discussion was really short, it was really interesting and inspiring.

Prof. Carlos Bott, a foreign professor teaching in UP also shared some amazing facts about Mobile Device Game Development. He stressed out that Data Structures is very vital when you are a programmer.

The last speaker, Dr. Ferdinand Pitagan, talked about Empowering the Nation Through Educational Technology.

What I learned?

I can really say that I have learned a lot from this trip at UP Diliman. Wow, of course, with all the powerhouse speakers!

The first thing that I have learned is about the steps in writing a thesis. The part that I like there was that it isn’t really necessary that you’re going to choose a thesis topic that is just new and applicable to the present day, but it must also be of your interest. I also learned that in the field of IT that is very vast, you must choose a field of your liking or forte so that you can concentrate more on that field and be productive.

What I liked?

I really do like the discussion of the Visualization and Animation. It makes me want to pursue a career based from those fields. It was very inspiring to know the people who excel from these fields that I have showed interest on. I also like the philosophy of Miss Rose Ann Sale of “All work and no play makes a person dull”. Indeed, once in a while, it is important to relieve yourself from all the stresses. It is for the purpose of stimulating and inspiring yourself to do more.

What I didn’t like?

What I really didn’t like honestly was how they treat open-source materials/programs. Of course, paid sources are of high quality and standards in terms security and stability, but I think. For us starters, and considering that we still have no income, they might as well reconsider our situation.

In general, I learned a lot from the seminar. It was really all worth it!

Ayala Techno Hub

After the seminar at UP Diliman NISMED Auditorium, we had a short and fast lunch somewhere at their campus. After which we headed to Ayala Techno Hub.

The place is really nice with all the towering buildings where small companies are being housed.

IBM

The first company that we visited inside the Ayala Techno Hub was the IBM.

We had a little seminar where basic questions are being answered. They talked about what IBM is all about, its’ nature, and etc.

We didn’t know until then that IBM sell its’ laptop business to another bug company. Right now they only offer online services and producing OS and other computer components.

As we all know, IBM has been a controversial counterpart of the Microsoft Systems, but as far as IBM knows, they would just like to have a healthy competition.

They also toured us around the building. There is a glass-room where humongous servers are being housed. They said that when a starting company needs space, (when we say space, not only literally a work place, but also a server for their operations) they can come to their company and ask for assistance. They would be very welcome to assist, as long as the project that the starting company is making is showing some promise and potential.

SeaChange

SeaChange is also a service-provider company worldwide. Their main service production focuses on the integration of cable and internet into a multi-purpose television, where functionalities of the internet are then applied to the television.

After a small introduction-seminar, they toured us around the different departments. They showed us the actual operation of the multi-purpose television.

What I learned?

I learned a lot from the Ayala techno Hub visitation. I have learned that it is vital to have the hardware and software components work together to give maximum performance and output.

I also learned that programming has a very wide scope. It is not only in the computer alone, but also of other technological things, like televisions and the likes. Programming concepts can be applied almost at anything.

What I liked?

I was really interested on how the SeaChange people make a multi-purpose television work. Like you can directly pause and resume real-time videos right on your television screen! It was truly amazing.

What I didn’t like?

I wish we could have longer time with the people at the Techno Hub, like have more extensive discussion about their topic of interest. In general, I don’t have something against them that I didn’t like.

Tired and hungry, we went off to Trinoma to have some recreational time, somewhere at Manila.

After that, we went to the hotel to have some rest.
Back to top Go down
nesscel_ann_calara

nesscel_ann_calara

PostSubject: Day 2, Tuesday, October 5th 2010   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 8:59 pm

We finally fell asleep at 3am. Waking up time was 4am.

Call time was supposed to be 6:00 but when everyone was on their respective buses; it was almost 7am. So the first thing that greeted us that day was a few unhappy statements from Sir Randy. There were only 3 buses this day.

Breakfast buffet was at Grills and Sizzles. The place was small and couldn’t accommodate all of us at once. It was ‘eat and run’ but for me, it was the best meal I’ve had in that five days.

Today, we went to University of the Philippines Diliman.

We got free UPITC sling bags and booklets upon registration.

What I learned,

During the symposium, a series of speakers were introduced, some of them spoke Bisaya.

First speaker was Prof. Lemuel Rodolfo Braña. The former president of the oldest and largest IT association of the Philippines as Information Technology advocate in the HR industry. He is one of the owners of Solutionquest International Corporation which specializes on Hospital and School Information Systems, also the Marketing and Business Development Head and a Senior Lecturer of UP ITTC. He is also at the faculty at the Department of Computer Science in UP Diliman. He gave brief opening remarks.

Second to speak was Rose Ann Sale, an MS in Computer Science in UP Diliman and a former member of the Web Science Research Group at the Department of Computer Science researching on educational games for kinesthetic learners and developing a spelling application called KineSpell2. Her topic was about writing a winning thesis. She introduced her research on educational gaming and showed us the game she programmed. She was researching on better ways to improve a child’s motivation to learn with the use of computer gaming. In here we all saw how children show better response to using Sun Sticks than with using Wii and other modes.

Next is the unforgettable John Boaz Lee. A graduate at the Department of Computer Science, UP Diliman. His topic was about Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphs. He presented an overview of the financial reputations of some of the world’s largest companies and graphs that show how ideas connect which is related to how the World Wide Web works

Next is Michelle Moscatel. A Davaoeña who graduated in UP Mindanao and took up a masters degree in UP Diliman. Currently a full-time instructor in UP, teaching engineering students programming. Her speech was about personal learning environments.

After some snacks, it was Len de Gracia’s turn to share. Personally, this one is my favorite. She talked shortly about her job as an animation artist/designer. She was my favorite speaker so far because she is cool and she was the one who said, “screw grades”, not that she inspired us on screwing it up when it already is, but to most of us there who already have a pretty messed up transcript, it sounded so much like hope. It’s good to know that when you can’t bring yourself to be great in programming, you don’t exactly have to end up on a job that is not inclined with your course, especially to ones who are artistically inclined. She wasn’t able to share much but she was the one who gave me the inspiration.

Professor Carlos Bott’s topic was just as interesting, only this time, more complex, and made more sense. His topic was on Mobile Device Game Development. He all at once, has a MBA in software engineering, a MSC in Information Systems and Aeronautical Science, nearly 25 years of experience of programming, teaching and game/applications development. This guy is big time, he was the one who said, “if you wanna program games, master Data Structures”. I remember dreaming in the far past of making my own game—that time I didn’t know what the hell data structures was.

And at last was Dr. Ferdinand B. Pitagan who spoke about Empowering the Nation through Educational Technology.

What I liked, is that I gt to learn a lot and somehow got inspired....

What I didn't like was the lunch--too greasy.

SeaChange

Next destination was at the UP-Ayala Technohub. We were divided into 3 batches, our batch visited the SeaChange company first.

What I learned:
Here is an overview of how the company was introduced to us; SeaChange International, Inc. delivers strategic opportunities to broadband and broadcast operators. It Partners with cable, telecommunications, broadcast, and satellite companies worldwide, the company has enabled one ‘sea change’ after another. SeaChange’s initial focus, to solve the challenges in multi-channel advertising, led it to deliver digital ad insertion to the cable industry. SeaChange now dominates the VOD industry with the vast majority of the global market share. Fast-forward, and again, the company is driving the next sea change. By leveraging the on-demand infrastructure, SeaChange is in a unique position to take advantage of the current market dynamics – delivering software applications that continue to personalize the television experience, and media services that help service providers fulfill market and consumer needs and drive revenue. It delivers billions of on-demand streams annually and has facilitated the launch of IPTV services worldwide. It has also successfully deployed on-demand advertising capabilities at a number of cable companies. With immediate impact and the flexibility to scale to meet future demands, SeaChange solutions offer the tools and technology to positively affect a company’s bottom line. While its headquarters in Acton, Massachusetts is home for nearly half of its employees, it maintains development and support operations throughout Europe, Asia, and elsewhere in the Americas.

What I liked was that the people were friendly. Plus our guide were Americans--a break from the usual kababayans.^^

IBM

I learned that,
For more than 70 years, IBM and its predecessor companies produced time-keeping equipment for schools and businesses. Many of these products are considered collectibles today. The company can do a whole lot of things for Aerospace and defense Automotive, Banking, Construction, Electronics, Financial markets, Media and entertainment, Telecommunications and many more.

What I liked about this company is, how they managed to build a name with hardware but is now going for software and out of their comfort zone.

Department of Computer Science (UP)

We visited 6 DCS laboratories at the UP Alumni Engineers Centennial Hall; The Algorithms and Complexity Lab, Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence Lab, Scientific Computing Lab, Computer Security Lab, networking and Distributed Systems Lab and the Web Science Lab.

What I learned,

Different researches were introduced to us during the visit. And after it all, what I’ve realized is that how far behind we are from these people—from this school. Proving how much more room there is for more learning and improvement.

What I liked about it, is that they are sooooo smart.

What I didn't like about it, is realizing how small we are compared to these people.

We visited the PBB house.
Back to top Go down
Sherwin_Elioreg

Sherwin_Elioreg

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 10:01 pm

• Day 2
From the moment I woke up, I know that this will be a day with so much learning because we are going to have a seminar in one of the premier university in the Philippines, the University of the Philippines, the home of the Fighting Maroons. Just like what I said in my journal during day 1, we, the officers should be the one to wake up first and yes we woke up so early. 5 AM I woke up and then went room-to-room to wake up my other classmates. I only had 5 hours of sleep and my eyes were aching by the time I woke up. We had our breakfast at Grills and Sizzles Restaurant, Examiner Street, Quezon Street. This restaurant is just near the house of our president, Noynoy Aquino. His house can be found in Times Street, so after we had our breakfast we pass by the house of our president. We then went directly to UP where the seminar will take place. The travel did not take long as what I expected and by time we arrived at Diliman, Quezon City, I was surprised how big the campus was. Even the market found in Diliman is still part of the UP campus. I said to myself, “WOW”...I was really astounded. Before we went to the building where the seminar will take place, we had a tour inside the UP campus. We pass by the famous oblation statue but we had no time to step out on our bus a to take pictures, then we also pass by the what they called “sinking garden”, then the different building of the different colleges of UP. After the short tour, we then proceed to the NISMED building where the seminar will took place. The building was kinda old to look at from the outside. The organizers had first given us kits or I should I say souvenir from Youth for Information Technology (Y4IT) and University of the Philippines Information Technology Training Center (UPITTC). We then proceed to the UP NISMED conference hall to start the symposium. The first speaker was Rose Ann Sale, she is an MS in Computer Science student in UP Diliman. The topic that she discussed to us was all about “Writing a Winning Thesis”. She discussed to us about the steps on how to excel in doing such thing. According to her, these are the steps that we should follow:
• The Thinking About It Stage
• The Proposal Stage
• The Burning Your Eyebrow Stage
• The Nerve Wracking Stage
• The “I did it” Stage
After her discussion she then showed us the game that they developed for her thesis, the KineSpell2. KineSpell2 is a spelling application made for children. Next speaker was John Boaz Lee, a graduate student in the Department of Computer Science UP Diliman and an instructor at the UPIITC. His topic was about “Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Steam Graphs”. He talks about how the people manipulate Wikipedia because everyone has the power to do so. Next speaker was Michelle Lee Moscatel and she talks about his “Personal Learning Environment”. At the middle of her discussion, I got annoyed by some of my classmates for they were not listening to the speaker but instead they were just sleeping in their chairs, what a shame in our part. Even me, I was so sleepy at the time but still I controlled myself and managed not to self when discussion is still on-going. After the first three speakers we had a short break and ate our snacks. Next speaker was Len de Gracia, she tackled all about animation. Of all the speakers who went up stage to discuss the topics they were assigned to, I guess she was the one who really caught all our attention. First she showed us her animation works in certain video games which I could not remember the name and most of us were amazed about her masterpiece. According to the speaker, she’s using software called Maya, it’s not my first time to hear that software but honestly I really don’t know how to use that software. She then continues her discussion and then gave us tip on how to be successful on what we are doing. “Forget about your grade”, a statement that made all of my classmates clap their hands. According to her, grade is not really that important, you can still look for jobs even though your grades are not that high. If you just have the skills and craft, well you will eventually excel in the field that you took. Next speaker was Professor Carlos Bott, a Game Development Training Consultant in UPITTC. He discussed about Mobile Device Game Development. During his discussion, I really can’t understand some of his points because what he shared to us are professional things while in fact, most of us are neophytes. I tried to understand some of his point but I guess novice like me will have a hard time understanding him. The last but not the last speaker was Dr. Ferdinand B. Pitagan, an assistant professor at the College of Education – University of Southeastern Philippines. He emphasized some points regarding educational technology such as study and ethical practice, learning and performance, creation, utilization and management, technological process and resources, instructional theory and learning theories. He then reminded us that grade is very vital especially when searching for jobs and it seems that he is against the statement of Len de Gracia. All in all, there are six speakers that gave us talks and enlighten our minds with six different topics. After the symposium, we had our lunch in UP and then prepared our self for our tour visit in UP Techno Hub, specifically in SeaChange and IBM companies. Today I went on a company visit to SeaChange and IBM. What I learned is that SeaChange is the global leader in multi-screen video and one of the largest software companies worldwide. According to them the company provides innovative, Emmy award-winning solutions and services for back office, advertising, content, in-home devices and broadcast to hundreds of media companies globally, including blue chips such as Comcast, Virgin Media, AT&T, Hutchison Whampoa, Vodacom and DISH Network. Headquartered in Acton, Massachusetts, SeaChange has product development, support and sales offices around the world. They also run the largest VOD development in the world and the leading VOD, hardware and software provider. What I liked is their place, very good to work at and a very good place to by stand if you are just doing nothing. What I didn’t like about the company are their staff and workers that gave some lectures regarding their works in the company. It seems that they are not so serious in giving us lectures. But over-all I would give them a rating of 7. Next we proceed to IBM. What I learned is that IBM stands for International Business Machines and the company is the world's fourth largest technology company and the second most valuable global brand. IBM is one of the few information technology companies with a continuous history dating back to the 19th century. IBM manufactures and sells computer hardware and software, and offers infrastructure services, hosting services, and consulting services in areas ranging from mainframe computers to nanotechnology. In the Philippines, IBM has a lot of clients. These clients are big time clients that are well known in the Philippines. Smart, SM, SSS and Philippine Savings Bank are just some of the companies working with the help of IBM. What I liked about the company is how the speakers emphasize the points on what are the company’s main objective and the services they provide and offer and of course they’re giving of giveaways during our orientation. What I didn’t like is that they did not tour us in their company. We just stayed in the ground floor where we have our discussion. For IBM, I would rate them 7 also, the same with SeaChange. After our company visit in the UP Techno Hub, we went back to UP Diliman and visited the Department of Computer Science Laboratories. The laboratories are as follows:
• Algorithms and Complexity Lab
• Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence Lab
• Scientific Computing Lab
• Computer Security Lab
• Networking and Distributed Systems Lab
• Web Science Lab
The visit in UP Diliman was really good. The accommodation was excellent; the speakers during the seminar were superb and over-all I would rate our visit in UP Diliman a score of 9. After the UP escapade and the company visit we then had our dinner and went to Trinoma Mall but unfortunately, we didn’t have enough time to tour the mall because it’s almost 9PM when we arrived there and the mall closes at 9PM. After the exhausting day, we went back to the hotel full of new learning’s. But when I thought I could go to my bed and sleep easily, our professor told us, the officers that we will have a meeting. *sigh* Again, I sleep past 12 midnight and have to wake up early in the morning to do my job.
Back to top Go down
Alaina_Simbal

Alaina_Simbal

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 am

Day 2
(October 5, 2010)

This day was allotted for our national seminar and company visits.
First we had our eat-and-run breakfast at Grills and Sizzles and headed directly to the University of the Philippines for the UP-USEP Information Technology Symposium 2010. This symposium talks about several things related to our courses.
Prof. Lemuel Rodolfo Brana former president of the oldest and largest IT association in the Philippines gave the welcome remarks. The first speaker to present was Ms. Rose Ann Sales. The title of her topic was “Writing a Winning Thesis”. She always emphasized the importance of keeping things cool while working on something, like what they did while they were working with their thesis. She also said that it would be better if you let everyone know about your thesis by publishing articles.
The next speaker was John Boaz Lee. The title of his presentation was “Visualizing Article Evolution with Stream Graphs”. He said that though people say that the information given by Wikipedia is not that reliable since anyone can edit the contents, Wikipedia is still reliable according to researches. He had shown different stream graphs that they had made from the data that they have collected. He said that it would be better if they show it graphically so that it would be understood easily.
The next speaker after John Boaz Lee was Michelle Lee Moscatel. She is one of the instructors of UP Diliman Department of Computer Science. Her presentation was all about Personal Learning Environments.
Then the next speaker was Len de Gracia. Her topic was quite interesting because it was all about animation. She said that in animation, grades do not matter; what one needs to do is to focus with one’s portfolio.
After which was Professor Carlos Bott. His presentation was all about mobile device game development. He said that he started with zero knowledge about programming and mobile device game development. But with determination to learn, he was able to gather knowledge and information from the internet. While he was presenting, he looked like he really mastered his field. He said that in mobile device game development, one must have a good foundation with the basic programming like C++. The next topic was all about, Empowering the nation through educational technology.
After the UP-USEP Information Technology Symposium 2010 and had our lunch, we immediately went to the UP Technohub for company visits. The first company that we had visited was the Seachange. They presented an overview and background about their company. After which, they divided us into several groups for company tour. They toured us to several parts of their building. After the company tour at Seachange, we went to our next destination which was IBM. The place where we were toured at IBM was quite small. They only showed us their server and explained how it works. After that, Ms. Iris Chiu gave us a background and history of their company.
After visiting the UP-Ayala Technohub, we went back to UP Diliman for a tour to their computer laboratories. In every computer laboratory that we visit, there were several undergrads that were working for their thesis projects. They even gave us information about the thesis that they were currently working on.

What I have learned?

I have learned that it is very essential to have a good foundation in C++ and other basic programming if one wants to pursue in programming a mobile game application. I have also learned that animation and programming in a game application is very different from each other. With animation, it is more on designing, while programming works with the movements and actions.
After the tour at the laboratories of UP Diliman, I have learned that UP really has a very high standard when it comes to thesis making.
I have also learned that there is an existing company like Seachance that most TV Stations make use
With the brief presentation of Ms. Iris Chiu of IBM, I have learned that IBM has sold their hardware proprietary to Lenovo. And that IBM has already focused with software and IT outsourcing.

What I like?
I really like the topic delivered by Ms. Len de Gracia. Though she did not deliver her speech in a formal way, she still did catch everyone’s attention. She was so kind that she even gave her email address for questions that she was not able to cater because of the limited time that we had. I also like the topic of Professor Carlos Bott.
With the computer laboratories tour, what I like most were their computer units. All of their desktop units were Apple. I was also amazed with the thesis that they had presented to us. They all had a very complicated but useful thesis projects.
I also like the company visit at Seachange because they had shown and explained well their product and services. They even gave us a demonstration with some of their products that are not yet available in the Philippines.

What I didn’t like?
When the employee of IBM started explaining how their server works, we were not able to understand the whole thing because we couldn’t hear him well.
Back to top Go down
Ruchan Alangilan

Ruchan Alangilan

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:02 am

Day 2
October 5, 2010- AM

Today, I went on a school visit to attend the UP-USEP Information Technology Symposium 2010 at the University of the Philippines. This seminar talked a lot of essential topics that were relevant to our career in IT. The First Speaker was Prof. Lemuel Rodolfo Brana former president of the oldest and largest IT association in the Philippines. He also welcomed us.

The next speaker, Mr. Lee talked about visualization; it was all about representing data to an understandable way so that we can easily visualize the flow of the data.

Next speaker was Ms. Rose Ann Sale a MS Computer Science Student in UP Diliman. Her topic was all about a Successful Thesis. She told us how to make a wonderful thesis.

After that, it was Len Degracia’s turn to present. She talked about on animation, 3d modeling. She also gave some tips to us in order to be like her. She said that in the animation industry, grades were not important, what matters the most were one’s ability, skills and creativeness. She also encouraged us to do the things that we love and also to pursue our dreams.

The next speaker was Professor Carlos Bott, he talked about Mobile Application Game Development. He was so good at his work and his field. He talked about how to connect and use scripts to your program and some basic tips and requirements. This field should require not only skills but also brain and knowledge. He insisted that we need first to know the basics of programming.

The last speaker for the day was Mr. Ferdinand Pitagan. His topic was Empowering the Nation Through Educational Technology.

After the Seminar and lunch break, we headed for the UP technohub wherein we visited Sea Change and IBM.

In Sea Change, we knew that their business was all about a unique cable program wherein their customer can pause the currently played movie as well as resume the movie into their computer. Their market was in US and they had planned to introduce their technology here in the Philippines.

After a short tour in Sea Change, we headed to IBM, just close to Sea Change. Their representative gave some infos and stuffs to us to kill some time. He showed us their servers that were behind a glass wall. Then after a couple of minutes, he led us to the room wherein Ms. Iris Chu was waiting for us. She was in charge for giving information that regards to IBM and stuffs.

Then after the tour to UP’s Technohub, we returned to UP campus to tour their laboratories and to show their students’ works.

What I Learned?

This day, I learned a lot of great stuffs from the symposium in UP Diliman. First, I learned on how to make a successful thesis thanks to Ms. Rose Ann Sale. Second, I learned that to be a successful animator, grades were not needed, it needed skills and talent. Third, Mr. Bott taught us to learn the basics of programming. Fourth, I learned from Mr. Lee the importance of visualizing the data.
In visiting Sea Change, I learned that their technology was unique. And if implemented here in the Philippines, it will be a success.
In IBM, I learned that we can use their servers for free. I learned also that they sold their hardware division to Lenovo, by doing that, they focused on the software side.
And back to UP labs, I learned that their students are hardworking and also very knowledgeable in their chosen fields. They also have the best equipments and their laboratories were conducive to learning.

What I liked?

I liked everything that happened this day. I liked the symposium for giving us the opportunity to enhance our learning and to expose us from different technologies available. I liked also Sea Change for giving us the chance to visit their unique company same as well to IBM. I liked the most was UP’s labs, because their labs were modern, compared to the Jurassic of Usep’s their computer units were all Mac’s. They also had PS3 and XBOX 360 that caught my attention.

What I didn’t like?

I had nothing to complain in this tour for the day.
Back to top Go down
http://chanluie2010.blogspot.com
Benjamin_Abadilla_Jr

Benjamin_Abadilla_Jr

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:38 am

Day 2

Today, I went on a company visit to SeaChange and the renowned International Business Machines or IBM. But before all those, we visited UP Diliman at Quezon City where we had a morning seminar.

The Seminar at UP were full of learning, thanks to 5 speakers. Rose Anne Sale taught us on how to write a winning thesis. As an example, she used his own thesis, KineSpell2, which she came she came up when she decided to integrate kinetic learning. She taught us the simple steps in creating a thesis including how to deal with our partners in our thesis. Also, pleasing the professor is a plus point in thesis. John Boaz Lee speaks about visualizing Wikipedia article evolution with stream graphs. John’s talk about visualization really astounds me. First he showed us large data in alpha numeric form, and it wasn’t much understandable, but when he transformed the data after visualization, by use of shapes and colors, the data was more ideal to read and very comparable to each others. I really learned the importance of visualization through him. Also, John reminded us all about the legitimacy of the data we get from Wikipedia, about how vandals are noticed and visualized. Next, Michel lee Moscatel speaks about Design and implementation of cloud based learning environment. His talk was really click because many of the things nowadays are on the cloud based. Michel talked about this website which is still under construction but really offers nyc learning environment service for everybody.

Len Degracia speaks about animation. Her talk was quick but it was direct to the point on what animators, like her, do in their business. Again, she taught about what they do, how fun it is for them and that portfolio is extremely important for animators. She left quite a note for us to remember, “Grades are not important”- which was disagreed by another speaker later (lol). Prof Carlos Bott was a speaker of mobile device game development and I was very interested in his topic, obviously because it was about gaming. Prof Carlos talked about gaming programming and that C++ was very important, he said the if you want to develop a game, develop one for a mobile device because this era is moving to mobile devices, like iPhones and Androids. Prof Carlos shared a little background on how it is like to create high end games compared to mobile games vie differentiating the programmers and animators involved, division of work and the time required, but it all depends on the resources.
After that, there was a speaker who talked about UPITTC which stands for University of the Philippines Information Technology Training Center. He talked about the programs and courses offered by UPITTC and how it helps IT bloom in the Philippines. Last speaker was Dr. Ferdinand Pitagan Empowering the Nation through Educational technology. Dr. Pitagan was a true educator and he was the one who disagreed against Len and believed that grades are still important in some ways even when you’re an animator. Dr. Pitagan discussed about integrating technology with education here in the Philippines and how much it helps to empower it. Dr. Pitagan pointed out even a problem which we students of the University of Southeastern Philippines, a state university, have and which is lack of technological support for us students, having a computer lab which cannot accommodate us all students thus depriving us more of hands on learning. After the seminar, we headed to SeaChange and IBM in UP-Ayala TechnoHub.

At SeaChange, we learned about their main service or product which is Video on Demand or VoD. They serve large companies as there clients through out the world, like abs-cbn, atnt and more. VoD was really very fresh to my ear. Having our tour on their company, we learned about different departments like the technical support group which doesn’t mean they are call agents. The Technical support group really is very TECHNICAL, their clients call to them and they help troubleshoot regarding their products and they stressed that I was very technical so that they are not mistaken to be call center agents. After talking to different groups that work in their company, which by the way was very comfortable at their workstations, wearing shorts and slippers and all that, two of them gave us a demo of what VoD really looks like. In VoD for example, their clients will be cable provider. Then the cable provider provides their customers with a VoD box. That box access the main server of the VoD to gain movies and MTVs and more based on the plan of the customer. They even showed us inside their server room how the VoD box from the TV to their servers works.
Next is IBM. At IBM, the speaker was Miss Iris Chiu. Miss Chiu was probably the best speaker all through out the trip. She was very comfortable upfront and very enthusiastic at the same time very knowledgeable about his company. IBM pc and laptops was bought by Lenovo so their products includes services, software and more. IBM is really an enemy of Microsoft, though Miss Chiu was quite disappointed that we aren’t familiar with some of their software, but she understands and pointed out that, their software are better than Microsoft, it’s just that Microsoft is very good at marketing their products. There was quite a tour at IBM. The tour person who guided us said so many things about the wall of IBM which states somewhat their vision mission and goals. Then, he showed a server and explain so many things about it especially about how their server can be remotely used for students as part of their IBM innovation the tends to help this nation in IT development, which by the way IBM innovation was prioritized at Philippines and still doesn’t exist in some countries more progressive than us like Singapore, that is thanks to Miss Chiu who convinced the big men of IBM. Also about the IBM innovation logo was new, compared to the popular IBM 8 bars logo; it was very colorful and really manifests innovation. After the visits that we had in the TechnoHub, we went back to the UP campus to be toured in the Department of Computer Science Laboratories. We visited 6 laboratories, the Algorithms and Complexity Lab, Computer Vision and Machine Intelligence Lab, Scientific Computing Lab, Computer Security Lab, Networking and Distributed Systems Lab, Computer Security Lab, and Web Science Lab. We were able to talk to UP students and have a two-way discussion about their thesis. We learned a lot from them and they were very extremely genius at there thesis. Some of the nicest thesis was at the machine intelligence lab where they created a program that translates sign language in to text language at real time. Also a machine that detects closing of eyes, that help when drivers tends to sleep during driving.

What I liked about this day is that we had visited the most relevant IT, and legitimate companies which are IBM and SeaChange. There company was indeed a very big enterprise and it’s nice to have a look inside and knowing the environment of big companies.

The UP seminar speaker was very informative as well but the air-conditioning was way out of control. It got extremely cold in there that I was quite lost in my concentration in listening.
Back to top Go down
Marybert V. Lee

Marybert V. Lee

PostSubject: FTS Day 2   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 12:49 am

Second day

Today, I went on a company visit to : University of the Philippines –Diliman Campus

Activity: Seminar at UP, Diliman

Background:

University of the Philippines- Diliman
The University of the Philippines Diliman (UP Diliman, UPD, UPDil or informally as Peyups) is a coeducational and public research university located in Quezon City, Philippines. It is the flagship campus, seat of administration and the fourth oldest constituent university of the University of the Philippines System. It also includes two extension program campuses in Pampanga and Olongapo City.
The university was originally founded as American University of the Philippines in Padre Faura St., Manila on 18 June 1908. After the liberation from the United States, the school was renamed as University of the Philippines. In 1948, newly-established Republic of the Philippines sited an area now known as Quezon City as the nation's capital. The next year, the university acquired 493-hectare area on the Diliman district of the city. The new campus was named as University of the Philippines Diliman and was assigned to be the university's seat of administration and main campus. Since its establishment in 1949, UP Diliman has expanded into more than 296 graduate, undergraduate and diploma courses, nine of which were declared as excellent programs by the Commission on Higher Education as of 2009. Between the 70s and 80s, UP Diliman was the site of much student activism. It was during these times when student demonstration and opposition against Marcos administration, as initiated by UP Diliman students, became heavy and aggressive. This was one of the precursors that led to Marcos' declaration of martial law in 1972.

What I learned:

The second day of our field trip and seminar maybe considered as the foreground of our week. Come to think of it, who will not be amazed to meet the braniacs of this country? The University of the Philippines is known to be the home of the biggest brains of our land. It is where you could find the most intellect individuals in every field of knowledge especially on information technology. We are very much privileged to be able to meet, listen and talk to them face to face through the seminar which was conducted at the UP Diliman Campus particularly at the NISMED Auditorium. Supposed to be, we were about to join the prestigious Philippine Youth Congress in Information technology held last September but we weren’t able to do so because our instructor told us that we will be having our own seminar at UP to be held during our field trip which was actually pushed through.
We really learned a lot from this seminar because they presented us several talks mainly based on information technology. Prof. Lemuel Braña welcomes us with his heart warming message of perseverance and trust with our chosen field. The first speaker, Ms. Rose Ann Sale talks about writing a winning thesis. I was really keenly listening to this talk because her talk is the most useful for us since we are about to make our own thesis next year. Because of that, I really jotted down notes so that I would clearly remember her points. Since she’s a student like us before, she really knew how hard it is to choose the best topic for your thesis. We learned from her that in writing a thesis, the most primary concern is to first know what you really love or find your interests. They are actually several stages when it comes in writing a thesis. The first stage is about the thinking stage which I consider as the more complex stage. It is the stage where you would search for the things that you find interesting or intriguing. As for her, she really loves gaming as well as playing with children so she decided, together with her partner, to create a somewhat spelling game for kids. Their thesis is about to compare the affectivity of the said game using sunspots and the wii. The second stage is the proposal stage where you would ask your adviser if what you have formulated was efficient. It is the stage where you will purport your objectives. The next stage is about burning your eyebrow stage. For me, this maybe the critical stage since this’ll be the time where actual demonstration begins. It is the time where you will create the application as well as create the analysis for your application created. It is when you would definitely experience overtimes, quarrels with your partner, loose senses, eye bags and many more. The next stage is what she calls the Nerve Wracking Stage or the most commonly known as the testing stage. It is where you would conduct your comparative testing. She called it the nerve wracking stage since it is where they would find out if your application is useful or not, efficient or not, or defective or not. The best stage of course would be the I did it stage because it is where the panel of judges approves our thesis. The next speaker is a very young, hip and good looking man named John Boaz Lee. At first glance, you would never know that he actually is a professor at UP Diliman because he really really looks young. I’m pretty much sure that girls were very attentive during his talk because he would definitely make you empty handed. He talked about Visualization which is sometimes a big problem not only for us students but as well as for many people engaged in our industry. He said that the main problem is not about the availability of data, it is about visualizing the data. He taught us many points regarding data visualization and he pointed out the two major characteristics of a good visuals, one with two dimensions, and the other which uses color. The next thing is about the personal learning environments by Ms. Michelle Lee Moscatel. She is actually from Davao, a graduate from UP Mindanao. She shares about the importance of technology in learning and how could these advancements in technology help in better learning for everyone. The speaker that greatly amazed us is Ms. Len De Gracia who talks about animation. She was a very inspiring woman because at her young age, she was able to reach her dreams. She taught us that greater passion to your craft is the best weapon to achieve success. The next speaker is Mr. Carlos Bott, a professor in UP Diliman in game mathematics and programming. He was honestly very amazing because of his intelligence. We had a hard time understanding his talk because we were really unfamiliar with the gadgets he is talking about. The last speaker is Mr. Ferdinand Pitagan who speaks about Empowering the nation through Educational Technology. He exhibited us many points regarding educational technology which are very useful not only for us students but as well as for everyone who keeps on learning.
After the seminar, we hurriedly went to UP- Ayala Techno Hub to visit IBM and SeaChange.
Later, after our visit at the Up –Ayala techno hub in IBM and SeaChange, we got back to UP to meet the students from the Computer Science Department. We learned that their department was actually divided into several research laboratories namely:

• Web Science Group (WSG)
• Networking and Distributed Systems Group (NDSG)
• Computer Vision & Machine Intelligence Group (CVMIG)
• Computer Security Group
• Algorithms and Complexity Laboratory
• Scientific Computing Laboratory
We visited each laboratory and we were all left amazed with the students’ projects. Honestly, I felt very belittle while having the whole tour at the Computer Science department. I keep on saying,”Oh man, how could they actually do those? How come they thought of something like that?” I just reminded myself that we were actually in UP and not in USEP.*giggles*

What I liked:

I highly appreciate UP Diliman for their very warm accommodation. I highly apprised them for sharing their knowledge as well as their time for us. I really really liked the whole thing we did in UP. Two thumbs up!

What I didn't like:

What I didn't like in UP? They never let our batch took pictures at the oblation and buy at their coop. *so sad*

Second Day

Today, I went on a company visit to: IBM Philippines, Ayala Techno Hub Commonwealth, QC

Company Background:

• International Business Machines (IBM)
Since establishing its presence in the Philippines in 1937, IBM has evolved to become the leading information technology partner in the country, providing hardware, software and services. It is known for the quality of its products and services in a long-standing tradition of excellence, customer satisfaction, and commitment to business ethics and integrity. With approximately 10,000 employees and still growing, IBM in the Philippines has the widest IT services network, and an extensive services delivery portfolio serving domestic and global clients. IBM provides IT and business solutions to majority of the top companies in the Philippines from the government, financial & banking, telecom, retail & distribution sectors, among others, and has more than 400 business partners and 130 authorized service centers nationwide. As a major Global Delivery hub, IBM also provides Business Process (human resources, finance and accounting, and supply chain management) Outsourcing, Customer Relationship management and Application management services to clients all over the world.
As one of the first IBM locations in the Asia Pacific, IBM in the Philippines has rich, 73-year legacy. Today, IBM operates in eight world-class locations in the business centers of Metro Manila and Metro Cebu.

What I like:

I was mostly inspired with the visit in IBM. Maybe, it is mostly because of Miss Irene Chiu because I was really amazed with her interpersonal skills. I like the way she handles a crowd specially us students who were all naïve about the real world. I appreciate how hospitable they are with their visitors like us. They prepared some gifts such as t-shirts, notepads, pens, and laptop bags that definitely gave us the urge to listen and cooperate with them which, I think is a very good strategy specially for students.

What I didn’t like:

Maybe the main thing I only didn’t like in IBM was that they weren’t able to present us the whole thing –I mean, they didn’t show us the place where they would manage their products or services. I was kind of feeling lacked because they just only presented us their servers.

What I learned:

Over the past years, I have known IBM as a hardware manufacturer ‘only’. Never had I imagined that IBM was also actually a software and service provider. In a short span of time during our IBM visit, I learned a lot of great things about IBM. Over the last 8 years, IBM has recognized as among Quezon City’s top tax payers. IBM’s deep commitment to drive innovation in all communities where it operates resonates in the company’s corporate citizenship and corporate affairs program that strategically employs IBM’s technology and expertise for the improvement of education and address other locally relevant issues. Definitely, IBM is not just a company that earns money; it is a company that gives public services as well.
I was more kayoed knowing that our speaker, Ms. Irish Chiu is not actually an Information technology nor a computer science graduate. She graduated a business degree from UP Diliman and entered IBM without knowing what a hard drive and a RAM was. She shares with us her life and her journey with IBM. She said that it is not primarily a matter of intellects, but rather it is about perseverance and passion. Even now, she’s still stunned on how IBM molded her on what she is right now.

Second Day

Today, I went on a company visit to: SeaChange Philippines Inc. Ayala Techno Hub Commonwealth, QC

Company Background:

• SeaChange International, Inc.
Midway through its second decade serving the world’s media companies, SeaChange International, Inc. continues to deliver strategic opportunities to broadband and broadcast operators. Partnering with cable, telecommunications, broadcast, and satellite companies worldwide, the company has enabled one ‘sea change’ after another. SeaChange’s initial focus, to solve the challenges in multi-channel advertising, led it to deliver digital ad insertion to the cable industry. Building on that success, SeaChange became a world leader in deploying the infrastructure necessary to deliver Video on Demand (VOD). SeaChange now dominates the VOD industry with the vast majority of the global market share. Fast-forward, and again, the company is driving the next sea change. By leveraging the on-demand infrastructure, SeaChange is in a unique position to take advantage of the current market dynamics – delivering software applications that continue to personalize the television experience, and media services that help service providers fulfill market and consumer needs and drive revenue. Through innovation, leadership, and first class support, SeaChange has built and maintained long-term customer relationships with Comcast, Verizon, Virgin Media, China Central Television, ESPN, and Sony Pictures and hundreds of others. It delivers billions of on-demand streams annually and has facilitated the launch of IPTV services worldwide. SeaChange has also successfully deployed on-demand advertising capabilities at a number of cable companies. With immediate impact and the flexibility to scale to meet future demands, SeaChange solutions offer the tools and technology to positively affect a company’s bottom line. SeaChange has assembled one of the largest expert workforces in the industry – more than 800 people, with the vast majority in software engineering, research & development, and customer service. While its headquarters in Acton, Massachusetts is home for nearly half of its employees, SeaChange maintains development and support operations throughout Europe, Asia, and elsewhere in the Americas.

What I learned:

SeaChange is actually very new to me. I haven’t read anything about this company nor heard about them on the t.v. I didn’t even know that this company is IT related because I thought of this company as somewhat a fishing vessel or the likes because of its name. To my amazement, this company was actually a whole lot of techie stuffs. I learned about their main product which is about Video On Demand or VOD. This product software allows users to watch TV programs in which they could pause, stop, forward or play back. It is called video on demand because users can definitely watch videos with their demands. They could watch their favorite programs over and over again or they could switch programs if ever they don’t like it. It is made up of two components which he stated as the Axiom on Demand which is a content delivery platform primarily used for video buffering and the media cluster which acts as the server for media.

What I liked:

I could say that SeaChange Company is definitely a world class. They have competent employees who entertained us. I like the way they presented us their product because they converse us with our level. I mean, they never used incomprehensible terms that may left us nose bleeding. If ever they would use such, they see to it to explain it further for us to understand. Their crew was really funny. This company I say is also very generous because compared to other companies, SeaChange presented us products which are actually under development that other companies may think of as a reserved one. They see to it that everyone is able to see SeaChange in real perspective.

What I didn’t like:

Honestly, I really liked how SeaChange presented their products and how they made the tour for us. I can hardly think of anything that I didn’t like about them.
Back to top Go down
http://akosimariaberta.blogspot.com/
Edward S. Baylon

Edward S. Baylon

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 1:18 am

Day 2:

Company visited:

UP Information Technology Training Center (UPittc)

What I learned:

The University of the Philippines was chosen by our school to be one of the hosts for a seminar regarding the topics such as software design, hardware servicing and many more.
We headed to the UPittc for a symposium regarding to some advancement of the Software Industry. The event was hosted by different speakers according to their jobs. The topics are the following:
• Writing a Winning Thesis
• Visual Arts
• WikiPedia Data Visualization
• Personal Learning Environment
• Gaming Industry
• Mobile Application Development
In addition, the USEP team visited the Department of Computer Science located at the second floor of Centennial Building. We immediately tour the whole building and find out what’s the difference. There was a big difference. Their rooms are fully equipped with gadgets that are attached to their doors that will be use for swiping cards from the students to serve as a door pass. The device can be accessed by teacher and lock it when students are already late for the schedule.

What I liked:

Everything specially the speaker who does solely multimedia and the quote, “Grades are not important if you want to be a multimedia artist you just need the skills and the passion to become one”.

What I did not like:

None this day is the best if we will just look on the educational side.

Company visited:

Seachange

What I learned:

UP Ayala Land TechnoHub is an information and technology park or an economic zone for information and technology related business locators. It is located in Barangay UP Campus near PHILCOA in Quezon City, along Commonwealth Avenue within the University of the Philippines property.
One of the companies we visited inside the IT Park was SeaChange.
SeaChange International, Inc. is the global leader in multi-screen video and one of the largest software companies worldwide. The Company provides innovative, Emmy award-winning solutions and services for back office, advertising, content, in-home devices and broadcast to hundreds of media companies globally, including blue chips such as Comcast, Virgin Media, AT&T, Hutchison Whampoa, Vodacom and DISH Network. Headquartered in Acton, Massachusetts, SeaChange has product development, support and sales offices around the world.
There were really new stuffs we saw inside their company, at first we had a short video presentation about the company and later they showed us there projects, staffs and departments.

What I liked:

Later part when they showed us their recent project developments, products and the rest of the staffs, we were really astonished. They presented one of their project like the one which can manipulate the TV channels and the other was can record all the things you missed watching on TV. It was really a great company visit and we learned a lot of things from their companies.

What I did not like:

The video presentation from the start because it made me feel sleepy, the video was not really audible and the screen is a bit far from where I’m sitting and I am very tired that time.

Company visited:

International Business Machine

What I learned:

After our company visit at SeaChange next stop was International Business Machines (IBM), which is also located at UP Ayala Land TechnoHub and one of the major companies there comprising the it park.
At first one of the staff showed us there main frames and some hardware equipments on which they use. After which we had a brief discussion with another staff about the company.
Though, IBM has been well known through most of its recent history as the world's largest computer company and systems integrator. With almost 400,000 employees worldwide, IBM is second largest (by market capitalization) and the second most profitable information technology and services employer in the world.
The company is now focusing on software buy and sells which I think is really good.

What I liked:

On our discussion the staff was giving off prizes on who will ask good questions too bad I was not really attentive. Though I like how they accommodated us there.

What I did not like:

None because I had a lot of fun.

Back to top Go down
irwinrod

irwinrod

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 1:26 am

Day 2 | UP Information Technology Training Center (UPittc) | AM
The University of the Philippines was chosen by our school to be one of the host for a seminar regarding the topics such as software design, hardware servicing and many more.
We headed to the UPittc for a symosium regarding to some advancement of the Software Industry. The event was hosted by different speakers according to their jobs. The topics are the following:
• Writing a Winning Thesis
• Visual Arts
• WikiPedia Data Visualization
• Personal Learning Environment
• Gaming Industry
• Mobile Application Development
In addition, the USEP team visited the Department of Computer Science located at the second floor of Centennial Building. We immediately tour the whole building and find out what’s the difference. There was a big difference. Their rooms are fully equipped with gadgets that are attached to their doors that will be use for swiping cards from the students to serve as a door pass. The device can be accessed by teacher and lock it u when students are already late for

What I Liked:

“Everything”

What I didn’t Liked:

“Time was not on our side..”

Day 2 | UP-Ayala Techno Hub | PM
SEAchange
An international hardware and software company that provides worldwide connection on telecommunication. The company designs hardware and software applications that deal with telecommunication activities. Multiple servers were observed by the IT and CS people.
International Business Machine (IBM)
IBM, a former Computer Company was now well known as Hardware and Software Servicing Company. IBM has developed a research room for IT people that needs space and equipment for developing software they had. Ms Iris Chiu one of the speakers told us that IBM has been one of the forefront companies that help Filipino computer literates to be at its best.

What I Liked:

“New Concepts and products of SEACHANGE and the new IBM”

What I didn’t Liked:

“…nothing..  ”
Back to top Go down
http://www.irwinrod.blogspot.com
Dianne Jean Dumdum

Dianne Jean Dumdum

PostSubject: Day 2-FTS   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) EmptyWed Oct 27, 2010 2:29 am

Day 2
Company Visit/s:
IBM Philippines and SeaChange
Today, I went to…
Jam-packed and fully energized, our group head our way to IBM Philippines located at Ayala Techno Hub, Commonwealth Quezon City. It’s been a while then since I got to encounter this said company. It is from our past movie review on Pirates of the Silicon Valley that I’ve got to meet and know something about its existence. I can see that of what things that I have observed regarding on that documented film is most likely similar to what I had personally view. It is the same company so to say that it is of the same critical thing. A large and a wide group like that of IBM basically need a security of course for its own competitive purposes. I am able to comment it like this since I can feel and see how cautious they were during out view there. But, even because of this I believe that we are all handed well and is feed with lots of ideas regarding on their common activities and of how they were able to handle things like that specifically the connection of networks and flow of data. The following statements below hopes to site some of my learning’s.
What I learned…
Well I guess that every company has to follow its own plan so to meet their decide goals and missions and IBM Philippines is positively one of those. Such a corporation like this has a complete portfolio for their offerings and functionalities. This includes hardware, software and services. Also as a firm group they as well has major markets served which consist of the government, Financial Banking, Retails and Distribution, and the last thing is the manufacturing. Over the years, IBM Philippines has expanded and made the Philippines a growing industry. I believe that they had not just see things as static as it could be thinking only for the good of the company. In fact they had set three agenda. First of which is to be a National Asset. Next is to be an Innovation Leader followed by to be an Employer Choice.
What I liked …
I liked it when one of the IBM personnel offered as to use that testing/training room of them. It is so overwhelming that they too provide rooms for students like us and that they open doors for us to be creatively wild and explore the world of Information Technology.
What I didn’t like…
There is no technical stuff that are to be discussed in this segment. I like all the things they have been introducing to us. Its just that the tour on this company was just too short . I’m craving for more!
Today I went to…

We still make it. Same place, same intensity! From the first company that we had, our group then jumped and got to mingle with the SeaChange people that are also from the techno hub. Actually it is my first time to hear the company’s name as well as the kind of services that they have. As we go through the orientation the foreigner guy let us to view a short video introducing the group and the only thing penetrates me is of course that same thing that keeps on flashing. The thing is VOD- Video on Demand. I hope I learn something about it since I am to expose it on my learning’s.

What I learned…
VOD. IPTV. Advertising. Content. Broadcast. Global. These were all the same words that flashes from that short video they had prepared us compared to the things they had been introducing to us and to be honest, these were all new to me. Those aforementioned words stated above are just some of the services offered by SeaChange. This means that they empower broadband services and provides to mange, monetize and deliver a video content to any screen. It creates me a feeling of great astonishment knowing that they are leading as a provider in Ad insertions solutions. Aside from that, they also deliver core production and end to end transmission of broadcast solutions for flexible operator innovation, operational deficiency and investment protection. To sum it up, SeaChange offers a lot with regards to intelligent video solutions both advertising and broadcast solutions and lastly the mobile solutions.

What I like…
This is another thing that is for real, I really like that so called project of them named “Gemini”. I like thus product because it enable the user to pause, forward or even stop a video and take note that it includes several type of videos that it even include live streaming. I just don’t know how they were able to make it but one thing is for sure, they use java form of development. While they a demonstration on it, I just keep on smiling. It’s the best! Aside from their products and the company, one more thing that I like most of them is their attitude towards what they do. I could feel it somehow that they are really having fun with what they do that even when we were around they were just keep on laughing. It seems like they are not burning their brains just to finish the project.
What I didn’t like…
I can’t find any. Everything I techno hub is just so amazing!

USeP-UP IT Symposium 2010
October 5, 2010
NISMED Auditorium
UPITTC

I thought we would never have it. I thought we would never learn from it. I thought we would never experience it. That’s what I’ve thought and I was totally wrong. We went to the place and they brought us the event. The transaction is deal so we had the mini Y4IT exclusive for both USeP’s Information technology and Computer Science students.

We were oriented to have our national seminar at the University of the Philippines campus. From the past experiences that I had, when it talks about seminars and workshop it generally talks about boring stuff and somewhat like a sleeping pill that makes every participant fall asleep. I thought that as we arrive there we would just sit and start listening until we loose close our eyes. Shocked as I was, the things that are seem bound to happen in every seminar got forfeited and by this time I personally experience an exactly different thing. The moment we arrive there, we were handed by a kit filled with lots of notes and books good for our seminar. Just like a tool for us to read to help and guide us. Again, shocked as I was, as I scan those notes I’ve got to discover that it is a “remains” from the previous Y4IT.

I am really glad having those stuff because at least even though we’re not in that exact event, its not been too late for us to experience the same good thing. I know that from the very start, everything could be possible with GOD guiding our mentor Dr. RSG.

From the arrival, the kit, until setting ourselves to the auditorium, everything is just well prepared and satisfying. It only proves the positive attitude of doing the best in everything may it be in the field or to any kind of task handed to any individual. See, from the very first quarter alone there is really no regrets of sending myself to this field trip and seminars. As for personal testimony, the moment that I let myself be settled, I was actually looking for the UP IT/CS students. They were not around. Just as I remember that there would be an unconference between the two state universities. It’s not that I am urging then nor I am worrying for the dignity of our school. It’s just that I wanted to see the kind of student living in a premier and standard university like UP. We already had a hard time in USeP that’s why we had this haggard looks. I wonder of what they could have. (duh?)

After a few moments, the battle begins and our eager minds are widely open for a new package of knowledge. Quoted with a line “Y4IT Energy” our emcee energized us the same thing as they did during the first convention. Now, it is our time to privately know and enhanced ourselves with the aid of the topics to be discussed and generally with the kind of attitude that we should have as we continue our voyage in the field of IT industry.

As convenient as we are, the seminar started. We had the first session in the name of Miss. Rose Ann Sale. She had a short discussion to us regarding on Writing a Winning Thesis. Since we are all third year and sooner we are to have our thesis. It is indeed an advantage to us to have a lecture like this for us to effectively write and pursue our chosen topic in our own thesis. From the session she handed us the five stages in making a successful thesis. These stages include the thinking stage ,proposal stage, burning your eyebrow stage, the nerve wracking stage and lastly the I did it stage. Applying all of these tips and stages she let us view the final product of her own thesis. We really had a fun learning out of her specially that she’s not boring in giving discussion. She bade us farewell ending with the quote “Bright ideas made brilliant”.

Visualizing Wikipedia Article Evolution with Stream Graphs. This was our second session with Mr. John Boaz Lee. Now, let us start it by segmenting the topic. If we are to talk to what is visualization, it talks on how we capture data. He quoted, “The problem is not on the availability of data, but it is understanding the data”. As neophytes, it is an efficient tool to research, find data and play with it a little. Internet access is indeed an advantage already for advancement. Second is through answering with a question, what comprises good data visualization. As brilliant as he is, he point out these three important factors. One is to keep data as few dimensions as possible. Second is to use color to your advantage and the third one is to use symbol and graphs. After sometime as each of the student raise question, we got it to a point of talking on the maintenance of Wikipedia and he gave as a very meaning full passage that goes like this, “Wikipedia article are like biological system, they evolve. They change and is developed.”

A faculty of Computer Science Department- UP Diliman Campus, Miss. Michelle Lee Moscatel shared her knowledge about Design and Implementation of Cloud based Personal Learning Environment. As we go along our discussion, PLE is mentioned for several times already. What is PLE? It is basically a personalized learning plus technology. Through the PLE, it innovates ideas and involves creation and communication. It also makes use of portfolio instead of grades depending on the learning as well as in making use of the internet through web based applications. The session also talks about UPITTC which advocates of continuous education helping each student build a solid IT career. They also conduct training programs such as Applications development, Network and Embedded Systems.

“Forget About the grades!” she exclaimed and suddenly all of us yell and clap for joy. Then afterwards, there was a complete silence the moment she continues her topic. Who would never want to listen to a very interesting topic like Animation? She gave it to us crunchy and was just perfectly great for a young technological artist like us. She made us crave for all of those designs that she had been producing and some that she is still working. Also, she had given as some tips on how to animate a word or objects. I was actually interested to the topic, its just that my artistic way is of the other path. She said that it is of good foundation if the animator himself is good at hand stroke. But on the other side of the story, she said that its all about the quality after all, its all about marketability and its all about gearing yourself towards that dream job! That was so amazing. Its just sad since we already had her on a short span of time. But anyway, a big thanks to Miss. Len De Gracia.

From among of all the line up, it is only on the topic of Mobile Device Game Development that we had our first foreigner speaker in the person of Prof. Carlos Bott. From his topic, he discussed about games and he definitely gave us techniques in game development and it includes the following:
 Gaming platforms
 Online
 Software
 Flash
 Web based programming

He generally talks about software tools as frameworks and even shares some of it which offers free game development framework for 2D games. For what I have been stated is just a sample from all of his discussion.

The seminar is almost over. But Ferdinand B. Pitagan, PHD provide us a talk regarding in Empowering the Nation through Educational Technology. From the topic, it clearly says the power of technology in helping the advancement strategy in educating others. When we talk about technology, it does not only talk about the computers and mobiles but more preferably in information and communication, online whether it is web based and assistive. Dr. Pitagan , shared to us that through empowerment, it could help in increasing of the spiritual, political, social and economic strength of individual and community thus saying that technology is really vital in achieving this empowerment in every life’s category. That is why some of the recommendations nowadays the inclusion of educational technology subject or courses in basic and higher education but it must be cost effective and efficient policy and implementation. In this way, there would be an early learning for each individual not making it hard for his own self as he or she step up for a new and higher form of technology.

Even though we had just spent half day sitting and listening to different topic, with different speaker of different attitude, it seems like our brains are about to burst that it can’t no longer take hold of it. Everything in the seminar are all jam-packed and something that is worth of the attention.
Aside from all of the technological learning’s that I’ve got, our speakers keep on inspiring me and never fail to lift me up. I just don’t know but all of them are so inspiring especially the ladies. It let me think and imagine that someday, in so many ways, I could also be like them, that all of us could be like them. Such an inspiring people like them should continue to inspire others and continue to speak and share the knowledge they had given by our Almighty. I now that it will for God’s greater glory.

[b]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)   DAY 2 (October 5, 2010) Empty

Back to top Go down

DAY 2 (October 5, 2010)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next